SHOP.CA

SHOP.CA has a consumer rating of 1.69 stars from 217 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. SHOP.CA also ranks 271st among Electronics sites. The most common issues with SHOP.CA are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

• So I made my first purchase with Shop.ca after finding a discount coupon on the web.

• On requesting customer service, I was told my credit could not be honored due to management change in July/August 2016 !
  • If you are wondering why your order still not arrived, the reason is shop.ca doesn't pay suppliers money.
How would you rate SHOP.CA?

“Normal online shopping experience”

Alexander V.
2/21/17

I purchased a suitcase that was supposed to be shipped "within 3 business days". A week later, the item's status still showed as "supplier processing". I called their support line where the recording told me that they were experiencing "normal than higher call volumes" (sic). I had sent an e-mail and indeed received a response within their target response time (24-36 hours). Turns out the item was already shipped and waiting for pickup at my local Purolator depot. There was something wrong with shop.ca's online status update system. Otherwise, my experience was good, the item's price was very reasonable, and shipping was fast and free.

“Never have hope for shop.ca”

Guido X.
3/22/18

The website is really a joke. If you leave some review on Sitejabber, they said they would like to turn it around. I know it sounds wonderful, right? But the fact is, they just told you that the supplier cancel the order without the explanation. That means they can handle your order whatever they like, but shop.ca are not responsible and has no willing to solve any problem! Give my refund back! I want to stay away from this website forever!

customer service (55) order (142) credit card (16) item (85) 2 weeks (11) 3 weeks (9) store credit (7) supplier processing (4) 3 days (6) email (90) gift cards (11) christmas gift (8)
johni184
October 11th, 2013
Really like the site, love Bonus coupon they give you however many products are overpriced found some products a lot cheaper at amazon
I don't, understand how they can have items for half price and I find them elsewhere at regular price and about 3-5 dollars cheaper. That really bothered me, it's as if they just pretend to make up a sale when really they are just selling the product at the same price as everyone
Hope the work on there prices really want to stay with them.
joeyk11
May 7th, 2014
I think shop.ca means well... but good intentions are not good enough.

I have purchased about 10 items from them ranging from $50 - $300 each.

I felt bad returning a few things but I had my reasons. One reason being the order took 1.5 months to finally ship and I had to make alternate arrangements and purchase the items elsewhere (being a gift). The other time I had an unopened unused product that was returned and refunded in the form of store credit. I was simply taking advantage of the 365 day returns they offer and it was all legit.

PROS
- they really do accept returns
- shipping is free on almost everything
- they are friendly when they email you back

CONS
- They are mostly selling items through the use of third parties vendors. Basically the same way in how amazon does this (which is an awesome online store but the third party sellers always jack up the prices considerably high there too). However, Shop.ca is almost entirely all third party vendors. This means terrible pricing and no accountability. Shop.ca always has a scapegoat. The vendors control the pricing (and it is really poor. I have seen $5 items at amazon listed as $50 at shop.ca for example). The shipping times are also dictated by these third parties. I have had items arrive in a couple days (rarely) to as long as 1.5 months after having to request it to be shipped and shop.ca having to "contact the vendor". Shop.ca is simply the middleman and both the consumer and shop.ca are at the mercy of these sellers who don't seem to really care. Many of them are selling their items elsewhere too.

- Returns are slow! I mean really slow. You have to keep contacting shop.ca and logging into your account to verify since they don't even email you when the refund is completed (they say they will though). Expect to wait 2-4 weeks for your refund to process. I waited just over a month for mine and then the item I wanted was out of stock.

- The website is a little difficult to navigate, there are technical and spelling errors and the stock and inventory is very poor. I purchased an item after their recent web update and the $15 off promo code did not apply. I cancelled the order (thanks goodness there was a button to do so) and immediately tried to reorder the two items. I couldn't! The items were now listed as out of stock (because I bought them) and it is now pulled from the site entirely and after contacting them shop.ca can't do anything or has any record. So in short there are inventory issues.

- This is speculation on my part but after a lot of time trying to find something to spend my credit on it looks as if a lot of the items are year end stock and returned products from the vendors. One order I received had the price tags scratched off of all the items. I suspect it was due to it being cheaper if I purchased it in their store. I had no choice, I had to use my credit up. Another item (electronic) also had a paint chip and some very mild wear that led me to believe it was a store demo model.

- I have $5 credit left and am trying to make a small purchase. Everytime I click on the item I want I get a website error (tried on 3 computers, iphone and ipad too). I am then locked out of the site and have to clear my cache. I am awaiting assistance on this matter.

I could go on and on and my rant here does little justice. I purchase a lot of things online. I will stick with amazon, newegg etc... and even ebay is a more reliable system and that isn't saying a whole lot. If you can apply a promo code and have done your pricing research then you may score a good deal at shop.ca, but expect to wait anywhere from a few days to over a month... and don't even think of returning it. There is just to much energy required to buy from them.

I suspect that shop.ca will not be around much longer. They are doing an inferior outdated version of what others are already doing fairly well. Perhaps they will refine their system and take the endless amounts of criticism to heart. I get the impression they want to dominate but they are up against a lot. Time will tell. I wish them the best and hope they can begin to offer competitive pricing and an efficient shopping experience.

UPDATE
---

I ordered two items on May 1st, the items page says it will ship from the vendor in 5 days. I received the following email (for each item) on May. 6 instead:

"... has been flagged as back ordered from the supplier. The expected ship date is May 27,2014."

Once again this reinforces my point concerning inventory issues and slow arrival.

UPDATE 2

They have been pleasant to deal with and went above and beyond to help sort these issues. I have adjusted my rating. The issues above are there but they really do mean well.
simonc38
November 10th, 2013
3 days ago I received an email solicitation from PayPal to shop with Shop.ca. By signing up with Shop.ca, I would receive $25 sign-up credit from Shop.ca and another $25 credit from PayPal for paying with PayPal. I was supposed to be able to apply both credits in my first purchase of $100 or more. However, during the check-out process, after I have chosen the PayPal payment option, I was unable to apply the $25 Shop.ca credit. I phoned Shop.ca to get the $25 credited to my first purchase retroactively but no one answered the phone. I email Shop.ca but a day later no one answered my email. I filed a complaint to PayPal but PayPal said it's not their problem. Finally I got an email from the CEO of Shop.ca who then directed the team leader of the customer support department of Shop.ca to help me to resolve the problem. I am very relieved that I finally get all the credits applied to my purchase.
It appeared that Shop.ca is doing really well recently in their sales and their customer support department is overwhelmed by the huge increase in customer requests as a consequence. Thus the non-answering of phone calls and slow response of emails. Hopefully Shop.ca fix this problem a. S.a. P.

Hey Lindsay, if your item happens to be damaged during shipment please let us know right away and we will absolutely work with our merchant to ensure that a replacement is sent out to you!

See more answers (4)

Hey Amanda, you can definitely use your PayPal account for purchases on SHOP.CA!

See more answers (2)

What is being done about all the negative comments being posted about shop.ca? has shop.ca sorted out the bankruptcy and has a future or will it's membership drop and those who remain not get the cashback deals or even have enough confidence and trust to shop with shop.ca with the company seeming troubled. there is not a lot of press about the the current status of the company, more of the past press shows up in searches which has to have a negative effect on consumer confidence and even merchants wanting to sell on shop.ca because of the fear of damaging their brand if consumers are dissatisfied and posting complaints. i would really like to know the answers from someone who actually can answer accurately, not from someone that is just slamming the company or making comments about the costs of product since that has very little to do with the service or dependability of the company. in my opinion trust and service is a bigger concern over getting the cheapest price. shopping on line shouldn't just be about squeezing every penny out of a merchant, it should be also about getting product reliably, conveniently and having accountability for any problems customers may have. without getting what your paying for and expecting buying the cheapest possible price that can be found for a comparable product means nothing. i would hope a company focuses on all aspects of why a customers shops with them, not just being the cheapest, i much rather allow someone to make a bit more profit if that allows them to build a better service that is trustworthy and reliable.

Hi Sean, You will notice that we are responding to all comments and have now, finally, resumed normal services. Our email response times are within 24 hours and all items are being delivered ina timely manner. The cash back programs are running along with other affiliates and aeroplan deals. As you can imagine, ever since the bankruptcy news, getting stability back was our biggest concern. We are working very hard to win back our customers and vendors because we understand that the faith had dropped. But we want to continue the good work that was being done before. You can also see from our products that we are reasonably priced. Our motto is not to be the cheapest, but to be the most reliable. And we are working towards that. Hope this helps restoring some faith. Regards

By ShopCA T.,

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the SHOP.CA staff and other customers.

Shop.ca is the starting point for shopping and saving online. We're delivering the very best deals to you and for you, all in one place. Make us your first s...

roxaneo
ShopCA T.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SHOP.CA?

Have a question about SHOP.CA?