Review of Tophatter

Tophatter reviews

185 Berry Street
San Francisco, CA 94107, United States
10 Million Shoppers! Authenticity Guaranteed.
Join Now

mimim7
12/13/17

Their products are cheaply made...total garbage! Their "original" prices are super inflated to make you think you're getting a bargain. The items come from China and if you were to buy them directly from there (don't know why you would anyway), you'd get them for half of what you would from your final bidding price at the site. Don't waste your time or money on this garbage!

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
'm very sorry that our services haven't met your expectations. With regard to the struck-out price shown, it is based on the retail price and the average selling price on this platform. For this reason you may see struck out amounts that vary from prices shown elsewhere on other platforms, and we encourage you to shop around if you are looking specifically for the MSRP of a particular item. With that being said, you can often find great deals here on our platform, if you have a maximum bid in mind and stop bidding at that price.
garyw124
12/13/17

Poor quality (cheap), they do have a refund policy but the shipping back to China is way to expensive, but I'm sure they know this.

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
I'm very sorry that our services haven't met your expectations, Gary. Please write our support directly so we can check your orders; http://tinyurl.com/j8eo7hu. Thank you.
carolynp54
12/13/17

I was excited when my son showed me this site because I love a good bargain. I immediately started bidding on items that seemed worthwhile. I bought a white gold plated necklace that looks good. Unfortunately, that was my last good item. When the 3 piece aluminum bowl set I ordered arrived it was a set of cheap tiny tin bowls that were so dented they were not usable. The biggest disappointment was the Thomas and friends train set. I kept bidding on this because my grandson loves trains. It is a cheap little knock-off that I would never give as a gift. None of these items have return information and it would probably cost too much to return them.

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
I'm very sorry that our services haven't met your expectations. With our easy return policy, a return request can be open for an item for any reason within 30 days from delivery. See full details here: http://tinyurl.com/h7xokwj. Thank you.
nancyw159
12/12/17

I have found that not all sellers will pay for the return of an item as is advertised, even wrong items that the seller shipped. Some jewelry items are nice. If you see an item you like, jot down the name, then go to E-bay and T-mart.com as most likely you'll find it there cheaper, with free shipping and a "buy it now" price which is sometimes cheaper than bidding on it.

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
Hi Nancy, please contact our dedicated customer support team via email http://tinyurl.com/j8eo7hu. Provide our staff with your order number and we will be happy to help further.
agnieszkak10
12/12/17

Hi, What a rip off, please stay away. I have ordered multiple items and read and re read the details, only to see the details switch on the items after the payments where taken. They all went from gold to gold filled right in my order status box. I'll update if they return the monies or if i have to dispute it through mastercard.

Tip for consumers: I was told to refuse the items from the post office. In which they will start the refund process. As they can not refund, once the items are in transit, only pending or paid can be refunded. " funny thing is" only one of the 7 items i tried to report as a scam are items that are marked "in transit". Just to say they where still in, the paid status. And I got the same email as i tried to re report it.
Feels like a scam from both the sellers and the tophatt staff..

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
Please write our support directly so we can investigate; http://tinyurl.com/j8eo7hu. Thank you for your patience.
scottj83
12/12/17

As far as I can see everyone is saying the exact same thing pretty much in every feedback, this place is a scam/hoax thank you to everyone who told the truth about feedback....tophatter you will not be receiving any money from me, what seems to good to be true usually is folks..

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
We're sorry we did not meet your expectations, Scott. We just want to let you know that Tophatter is a real e-commerce company operating out of San Francisco, CA. We offer an exciting, fun, online auction environment where sellers can sell their items to excited buyers who love to bid. Our BBB rating can be viewed here: https://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/online-auctions/tophatter-inc-in-san-francisco-ca-875001.
philw42
12/10/17

Ok so at first I thought to good to be true, but really the money that it cost to win most items made it easy to take the chance. well the first one was not what I thought I would get and not the 2nd,3rd,4th,5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th. I have not sent anything back not worth the hassle. The real complaint is I truly believe the reason they do speed auctions is so you really don't have time to look at what you are bidding on and that the price is so cheap you don't care. most of the time the Item listed has a picture that shows more than one thing and you have a little time to figure out what you really are bidding on. other times in the description of the item it will tell you that it is only part of what you are seeing but never enough time to read that and figure it out. finally lets just say its more about shipping costs they make money on shipping, some of the stuff is free shipping, on those things the item sucks, never comes like you thought it would be. other things, shipping cost more than the item. then there is free stuff just pay you guest it SHIPING which is always more that said item is worth. Tophatter does what it was designed to do sell inferior products at a fast pace to as many people as possible. I wish I could post pictures of the junk I received. to end I have to laugh because going into it I have always know you get what you pay for, maybe that's why I wrote this, because on this site you don't get what you paid for. HAPPY BIDDING!!

funny just tried to post but first they want my order # they say to resolve disputes. I don't have a dispute. everything I ordered was not what I thought it would be and was of very cheap quality, always smaller that anticipated and cheap

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
I'm very sorry that our services haven't met your expectations. Tophatter has strict guidelines which require sellers to accurately represent their items for sale. Our product review team has reached out to a few sellers who had misleading images and are working to ensure the listings are correct moving forward.

With this said, in an auction format, it's up to each buyer to review the item description prior to bidding, taking note of all key details, to decide the item is what's intended. Bidders decide how high they are willing to bid, and can stop bidding at any time.

Additionally, with our easy return policy, a return request can be open for an item for any reason within 30 days from delivery. See full details here: http://tinyurl.com/h7xokwj.

If you need assistance with any orders, please don't hesitate to reach out to our dedicated customer support team here: http://tinyurl.com/j8eo7hu.

johns2039
12/10/17

Everything you buy on here comes from China, and is a CHEAP piece of CRAP!!.....BUYER BEWARE!!!....I'll NEVER buy anything else from this site....

Tip for consumers: Stay away!

christopherm157
12/9/17

this seller has sold 650 thousand items i was suppose to get a 8mm 28 inch sterling silver necklace with 18k gold plated instead i got a thin chain not a 8mm chain and to make things worse i got three orders grouped together of the same item that are on the way and im certain its the same story as first order!

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
Thanks for letting us know, Christopher. We will send this feedback to the team and investigate. If you need assistance, please reach out our dedicated customer support team via email 24 hours/day, with response times less than 2 hours: help@tophatter.com.
marthat27
12/9/17

Please dont waste your time and most important your money. I signed up for Tophatter.com and initially what I took a look at the site, I went nuts bidding on items and thought I could finish my Christmas shopping there. I was wrong. Tophatter has canceled items with my authorization and then put a stop on my account as if I canceled to many orders. The products that I did receive are cheap looking. So when you think your buying Nike... your actually buying Bike. I bought a set of ruby stud earrings. Lets just say I need to pick them up with my tweezers because they are so tiny. Disappointment !!!!!

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
We are terribly sorry to hear this, Martha. I would highly suggest that you reach out our dedicated customer support team via email 24 hours/day, with response times less than 2 hours: help@tophatter.com. Provide our staff with your order number and we will be happy to help further.

walterm57
12/9/17

I won a bid they took the amount out of my paypal and never heard from them again.im going to go to atty . general and bbb and to the news paper and go online to everyone I can to show people what a rip off how do they stay in business beats me. but I will do what I can to show people they most likely wont print this review.

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
We are so sorry to hear this, Walter. Please contact our dedicated customer support team via email http://tinyurl.com/j8eo7hu. Provide our staff with your order number and we will be happy to help further.
donnal144
12/9/17

Cheap products, false advertising, and sometimes seller demands returning bogus item and you pay postage to CHINA. RIP OFF

gregl82
12/8/17

I won a bid for a pair of Tennis shoes. I live in Torrance and the product was shipped from Carson, Calif. I contacted the seller and was told because I only paid $1.00 plus $8.00 shipping that they would lose money. I was then sent a size 11 shoe instead of size 13. The seller then told me to keep the shoes, and I would get a refund. Tophatter then told me to return the shoes. The seller then called me back and explained that because they did not want to lose money that this is the reason why they sent me a $4.00 pair of shoes. This site is like a gamble, they have shill bidders.

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
H Greg, please contact our dedicated customer support team via email http://tinyurl.com/j8eo7hu. Provide our staff with your order number and we will be happy to help further.
sylviak15
12/8/17

top hatter should be banned from trading products are a total rip off and absolute junk
just a grab for money. I will never never buy again

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
I'm sorry that you weren't able to find great deals while shopping with us. I hope you'll continue to check out the items on Tophatter as we bring in exciting new supply over the coming months. Kindly note that, with our easy return policy, you can request to return the item within 30 days from delivery, for any reason. See full details here: http://tinyurl.com/h7xokwj

dickd14
12/7/17

Awhile back I bid and won an item. When I didn't receive it after three weeks, I emailed cust. support at Tophatter. They sent me a credit instead of the item. I wrote back and said that I did not want the refund ONLY THE ITEM. After several emails, they now tell me they are sorry because they are not the seller. What a runaround. I honestly feel that, because my bid was low (and I won), they did not want to honor the transaction.

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
We apologize for what happened. Please reach out our dedicated customer support team via email 24 hours/day, with response times less than 2 hours: help@tophatter.com and we will review your order. Thank you.
angies68
12/6/17

Bought a ring, took almost 2 months to get it, returned it UNOPENED, have my info from post office & they refuse to refund my money!!! Terrible, terrible way to business!! They are a RIP off!!

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
We're so sorry we did not meet your expectations. Please reach out our dedicated customer support team via email 24 hours/day, with response times less than 2 hours: help@tophatter.com for any assistance.
craigp57
12/5/17

Rec'd only 1 half of the ad described. Camera came but monitor did not. After I contacted them, they said the ad stated it was included. Wrong. Similar ads do state monitor not included, but this one does not. Pic in the ad shows camera & monitor. They also said I should have know by the weight in the ad??? Biggest rip off site. Just look at all the positive adds on Top Hatter. Statistically impossible.

hughb30
12/5/17

FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!!!! I purchased a stuffed elephant and it is less than half the size shown in their picture. Paid premium price $33-ripped off! TOP HATTER took my comments seriously and they DID THE RIGHT THING--They refunded my money for said item.

Tip for consumers: Deceptive advertising--RIP OFF!!

jalenj
12/5/17

This site is a HUGE RIP-OFF. You not only have to worry about not getting your order but also about how $#*!ty the quality will be...and the " Customer Service Reps" (and I'm being kind when I use that title for these people) Graciela M. and Felicia send out repeat and completely bogus apologies and promises of being able to return your $#*!ty products. There is no accountability for the transactions that happen over this site, so its that much harder to get your cashback or talk to actual people. BEWARE.

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
We understand your frustrations and we do apologize you feel that way, Jalen. Please don't hesitate to reach out to our dedicated customer support team here: http://tinyurl.com/j8eo7hu and we will be happy to further review your orders. Thank you!
maxs106
12/5/17

Whatever you find on this site. You can get it much cheaper on aliexpress.com.....
I bought watch from tophatter for 16$, I find exact same watch on aliexpress.com for 6$ free shipping. If you like your money, just stay away from tophatter. Com

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative

Tophatter also offers an easy return policy where a return request can be open for an item for any reason within 30 days from delivery. See full details here: http://tinyurl.com/h7xokwj.

robertab29
12/5/17

I ordered two items from LB back in October and have yet to receive them. When I asked for a refund I was told that I had to wait until December 22. That is unacceptable to me when these items were going to be gifts for Christmas. Nothing should take over two months even it is custom made which these items were not. And you cannot contact the seller directly. Terrible experience. Stay away unless you have money to throw away!!

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
We understand your frustrations. Please don't hesitate to reach out to our dedicated customer support team here: http://tinyurl.com/j8eo7hu and provide them with your order details for review. Thank you.
ricks163
12/5/17

Ive spent several hundred dollars on this site and to be honest the consumer would be better served shopping elsewhere. the products are mostly cheaply made and the final price paid is likely to be no great savings overall. If you like the thrill of an auction try ebay

Tip for consumers: I ordered several flaslights and not one of them worked I'm wondering If I can get a refund and how much that will cost. the consumer is better off shopping elsewhere save you money Ill never shop there again.

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
I'm sorry that you weren't able to find great deals while shopping with us. I hope you'll continue to check out the items on Tophatter as we bring in exciting new supply over the coming months. With regards to your refund, Tophatter has an easy return policy where you can request to return the item within 30 days from delivery, for any reason. See full details here: http://tinyurl.com/h7xokwj

carole455
12/3/17

they do not send the item as promised @ do no reply to email as stated in 12 hours from recipt of standard email product not as shown on site terrible.

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
On Tophatter there is an extended ship time of 40 days allowed for all international shipments. If your item has not been delivered to your location within this time, please contact our customer support team for review: http://tinyurl.com/j8eo7hu. See full details here: http://tinyurl.com/zfc5lpn. Thank you.
desirees26
12/3/17

Please don't waste your money on this site, because I bought hundreds of dollars of items, including Smart Watches, jewelry, clothing, shoes, electronics, etc. The clothes they sent me were hideous and cheap. The jewelry was stated to be sterling silver and were just cheap costume, the electronics did not even come in a box nor did they have instructions. The stuff ships from China and the sellers on the site over-inflate the values about 300%. When you request a refund, a lot of times they say they will do it but they end up sending a notice saying that you have to ship the item back to China at your own Expense. If the item is junk then why would you want to spend a lot of money to ship it back? Top Hatter says the Buyer Protection is that if you don't like the item, you can mark the package "refused" and then send it back through USPS. What they didn't tell you is that the post office will refuse to accept the package from you if you have opened it in any way! I am telling the God honest truth and you can check with the post office yourself. So I am warning you, please do not go to this site because you will be very sorry.

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
Tophatter has very strict policies in place to make sure sellers are representing items correctly. If you have a question about a specific price you see please write our support directly so we can investigate; http://tinyurl.com/j8eo7hu.

josephm248
12/3/17
• Updated review

OH! BTW: Received the 20 inch Gold plated Necklace, it was an 18 inch not 20 inch.. Went through Pay Pal you have not responded, or has the seller. So will be filing claim with PayPal. Now I will have to wait 2-3 weeks for Paypal. Its under review now with a expected resolve in Jan 2018. This site needs to be closed down, I have reported it to Internet fraud. This is one pissed customer.

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
We apologize for any inconvenience.This would be considered an item that is not as described. You can request to return an item within 30 days from delivery for any reason. If it is still within 30 days of receiving the item please request to return the incorrect item for a refund. See details here: http://tinyurl.com/h7xokwj

You may also contact our dedicated customer support team via email http://tinyurl.com/j8eo7hu. Provide our staff with your order number and we will be happy to help further.
“Knock offs, cheap producks”
12/1/17
• Previous review

Bought headphones, no where did it say shipped from China, wait 30 days, found them elsewhere same price, cheap knockoffs. Bought a Gold 20" necklace, found it cheaper elsewhere, again cheap products. Cancelled my account, and they compare themselves to EBAY YA right.

Response from Graciela M., Tophatter Representative
Hi Joseph, I'm sorry that you weren't able to find great deals while shopping with us. I hope you'll continue to check out the items on Tophatter as we bring in exciting new supply over the coming months.

2 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

you should have got a notice on your phone that you won the bid but my best advice to you is don't buy anything from Top Hatter all of it is junk

By jesus g.

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and with the Attorney General, this site is a fraud and needs to be shut down.

By Tracy H.

It's costume jewelry unless other wise stated

By Jasmine G.

Good luck! Tophatter rippes off the sellers so they are not going to be very likely to return your money.

By Jessica P.

To tell the difference, look closely at the description. The first thing to look at is the name of the auction room you are in. Some examples are "Ring Showcase", "Ultimate Jewelry Blowout", "Spectacular Ring" are usually CZ and/or not real. Auctions such as "Natural Gemstones and Sterling Silver" and "Genuine Diamond & Designer Jewelry" are usually real. Pay attention to the description and MSRP that will also give you an idea if it is real or not by what price is listed under MSRP. Look closely under the material section on the description to see what materials are used for the ring. Well they do tend to call a lot of CZ rings Engagement Rings" you just need to dig a little bit deeper than the title of the auction you are in. I have probably bought over 50 rings from Tophatter over the past few months that have all been costume jewelry but none have discolored my finger or made me break out in a rash even though I have sensitive skin. Hope this helps!

By Melissa L.

All mine were new.

By Margie m.

If you end up buying a few items from the same seller they can do a combined shipment but you rarely get the same buyer items since they only let the sellers sell 10 items a day. It is different for the sellers that have their own auctions.

By Barbara C.

Good luck with this one. This is wishful thinking. :-) I had only 2 neutral feedback among a big sea of positives. I paid my bill on time, but they want more money and more money until we walk away paying them more than we make. They don't want honesty and good sellers, they want money. They don't want anyone there that will question their integrity and too many of us did that. I say we're better off without them.

By Angie P.

Depends on what you are selling. Yes, a lot of items go unsold in the jewelry and accessories categories.....as well as others. Coach and Michael Kors and other designer brands, not much goes unsold, because here's the catch - - you pay fees on the starting bid. TH wants everything to start at $1. So you get punished if you start higher as to not get screwed by a low purchase price. Say you buy a designer bag for $120. If you start that bag at $100, you're already paying over $10 in fees. **IF** you can manage to sell it for a profit, there are still the commission and bank fees. If you start it at $1, you're barely paying any listing fees but it might only sell for $80 (or less!). So, less fees, but you lost your ass on the item. It's messed up. Most sellers have put in their time to see if they can make a profit or to see if TH will change, but they all seem to end up leaving. I'm convinced the only ones who stay to sell there are the counterfeit or crappy quality sellers who are buying items for next to nothing, because that seems to be the only way to make a profit there these days. I would go the ebay route if you're looking to sell.

By papa p.

They r good, but make sure they r compatible with cell fone service. I bought two I cannot use, because Verizon does not support them, and they need their own sim card

By Rhonda W.
Questions? Get answers from the Tophatter staff and other customers.

20 Photos for Tophatter