Buyee

Buyee has a consumer rating of 3.83 stars from 249 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Consumers satisfied with Buyee most frequently mention customer service, shipping options and yahoo auctions. Buyee ranks 11th among Mail Forwarding sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 63.3%

• Their customer service is excellent and responds quickly to inquiries.

No critical highlights yet

How would you rate Buyee?

“Great way to find Japanese goods”

Abigail M.
11/21/20

I've used Buyee multiple times specifically to buy anime goods from Mercari Japan. I've always been able to find what I'm looking for even when looking for rare items. Very easy to use and they often have useful coupons. Most recently when I used them they had a whole period of having no service fee, usually it would be another $5 on top of the item price so this was super useful. I'm definitely using them again.

“Two months later and nothing received.”

Javier G.
1/19/21

Made a purchase back in november 25th, and up to this date (January 19th), I have received nothing, and tracking number shows no updated since november 29th, when it left Japan (ordered with small package AIR). Contacted them and they basically told me that they will contact Japan post to see whats going on, but that it can take upwards to three months. I'm going to file a dispute over at Paypal, stay away from this site.

customer service (45)
javierg114
January 19th, 2021
Verified purchase

I'm going to file a dispute over at Paypal, stay away from this site.

jasonh1335
August 24th, 2021

This company is a total scam. Fees are overprice, shipping is outrageous, and customer service is an absolute joke. When an issue arises, and it will, good luck with getting any help from them. Buyee will refuse to help you when they can't prepare proper paperwork for customs. Buyee will not help you when your package arrives damaged and missing orders. If you value your money or the product you are looking for, look elsewhere. Avoid Buyee at all costs or you wil be sorry.

Tip for consumers:
Avoid this site at all costs.

Anime merchandise.

andrewc682
February 5th, 2020

Try avoid this proxy website if you can.

First, they have the worst customer service.

Second, They charge package consolidation fees and other nonsense fees.

Third, there is no sense of warning Billing and Shipping addresses differences so they will not cancel after you

Paid for shipping, which is ridiculous.

I never had a problem with other Japanese proxy buying website except for BUYEE.

Again, I would not recommend BUYEE for someone who is trying to buy stuff in Japan through a proxy website.

zc24
August 21st, 2021
Verified purchase

I bought several items via Buyee over a year ago, and they were held indefinitely due to the pandemic. I get that, but I was promised that I would be notified thoroughly once shipping resumed and that I would not incur the usual storage extension fees.

They lied and are now trying to charge me hundreds of dollars for a handful of paperback books.

It's absurd, and it's theft. They should be shut down.

Tip for consumers:
My best tip is "don't use this site."

samuelp47
January 14th, 2020

Buyee's website is complex to navigate and you will continue to discover new fees at every turn. If you end up paying less for shipping than the items cost, you've done well. Staff are inflexible and even when they make mistakes there are no refunds, no compensation, and no compromises or negotiation. Stay away unless you are willing and ready to throw buckets of money towards the land of the rising sun. Take what you might reasonably expect to pay, and double it. Do NOT recommend. Oh, and my items themselves? Some arrived damaged as well. Sigh. Worst shipping forwarder I've ever dealt with.

chumk
July 2nd, 2021
Verified purchase

I use it first time coz of coupon 2000 yen and I buy 10$ item but have think I can use coupon but no coupon can only use for shipment in they app that so slow and bug I can't even find way use it coupon and have so much hidden few the 10$ item became 50$ you can't cancel bid and you need pay domestic shipment that not even when bid on auction use can't dispose item you need pay domestic shipment that not even show when you bid on auction.

abigailm119
November 21st, 2020

chenjiey
June 27th, 2020

I made an order with Buyee to ship my package using Seamail and payment went through without any issue.
A few days later Buyee contacted me saying JP post returned my package because it's oversized for Seamail. (Their system told me nothing about the dimension of the shipment at the checkout page)
Now my only option is DHL, which is triple the price. They denied my refund and refused my request to split shipment into smaller packages.
I now have to call my credit card company and file a fraud dispute because they pulled a bait and switch on me, ate my payment, and holding my shipment hostage.

lucyh143
December 17th, 2020

Thank you for a smooth and pleasant transaction. Buyee is always so easy to order items and track when items have shipped out. I like how their customer support always answers questions within a day or two. Packages are well consolidated as well. :)

giancarlod5
February 27th, 2021

Hasn't been very professional experience. They've changed my shipping cost 4 times. The last cost for shipping is quoted 6 times the original quote. At this point, I'd like to ask Buyee.jp if they would like me to pay 12 times the original.

dany87
July 5th, 2020

I have been using Buyee for a while and enjoy buying items from Mercari via Buyee. All is good except Buyee customer service is very bad and the worst I have ever encountered. I would say Buyee has no customer service or service recovery at all.

Everything is customer fault and end up I have to pay the unnecessary 1,500 yen for the extra protection that I NEVER choose. If I don't pay, I will not have the items shipped home. From there on, any new purchase I just ship 1 item at a time to avoid such system fault and pay unnecessary money.

I would have given Buyee 5 stars but the customer service just pull all down. Maybe Mercari can consider to have another partnership or agent for oversea customers to choose. Hopefully this will drive Buyee to has a proper customer service.

terencep21
June 16th, 2020

Seller did not fulfill shipment promise

Seller did not fulfill shipment promise and did not ship. Buyee just continued to ask me to wait for seller's response and when he /she can ship. I waited for about 2 months and still waiting. Asked for refund but Buyee just refused. They basically protect sellers. Poor customer service, They either do not response on time or chose not to reply. When a reply came it does not answer your query then you have to ask and wait again.

mauriciov11
May 9th, 2020

From the set up to completing my purchase, the whole experience was pretty easy and simple. With so many items available that you either can't get here in the States or are much more expensive, Buyee makes it a great platform to be able to shop and save money. It's also really convenient to have so many different websites/stores to choose from :) I definitely recommend Buyee if you're looking for items that you might only be able to find in Japan but live elsewhere.

paulinal19
December 3rd, 2020

I'm always very satisfied with purchasing items on Buyee. You can find many unique things for quite reasonable prices. From time to time the website offers coupons, so that the items You purchase or shipping get cheaper. The items You order are purchased reay fast. It usually also doesn't take a lot of days for them to come to the Buyee warehouse. When it comes to the Customer Service, they respond quite quickly, which is also very good. I'm generally satisfied with purchasing on Buyee.

daotaib
March 5th, 2021

Previously we provided a positive review from Buyee (they credited our account 500 yen to do so--paid for reviews are what you are largely seeing on this site). All was good until we encountered some difficulties. The first concern was several overcharges on domestic shipping, sometimes as much as 1100 yen (11.00 usd). This was corrected, however it took several dozen e-mails to show them that they were making mistakes (they initially would not admit to this). Next. We requested consolidate packaging. Rather than remove the domestic shipping materials and place the items (watches) into an appropriate size box, Buyee threw the items in existing excessive packaging into an oversized box that would have been appropriate for a two pairs of Shaquille O'Neal's Basketball shoes. This require us to use a more expensive shipping service (EMS) as a result. We asked them to use a smaller box. They refused saying we don't have small boxes. (what kind of a shipping forwarding service does not have an inventory of different sized boxes). After more e-mailing, they finally said they could provide a small box but that this box would cost 500 yen (5.00 USD). We ship watches internationally in sturdy corrugated e-commerce boxes. These cost 16 cents (USD). The bottom line is that Buyee is unwilling to meet the needs of its customers--users beware.

Avoid

Shipping forwarding

isabelan5
June 21st, 2020

I made some purchases through Buyee and I highly recommend! It is the easiest way to buy things directly from Japan that I found. The fees are cheap and the website is very well organized (is easy to find what you want). They offer useful additional services at an affordable price, have several shipping options and are always giving coupons with great discounts too.

jeffm1320
June 26th, 2021

I tried their auction to bid for an item, at first I was hesitant since the item has blurred picture, I decided to continue anyway since I applied for Buyee's standard plan - this will let buyee inspect and refund your money incase they see something wrong with the item you're buying and the item is tagged as "No obvious damages or dirt". When I received the item, I found multiple cracks and it's in 3 broken pieces. I reported this to buyee and showed all my documents pictures demanding for a refund since I paid for their "Standard plan" (insurance). They NEVER returned any of my emails and completely ignored my demand. I just hope that the seller and this company will someday have a taste of bad karma as these is obviously stealing and scam. AVOID BUYEE AT ALL COST! BEWARE OF AUCTIONS AS MOST SELLERS ARE SCAMMERS, SHAME, I THOUGHT JAPANESE ARE HONEST PEOPLE, THIS EXPERIENCE MADE ME THINK OTHERWISE.

Tip for consumers:
Avoid this site, they offer plans for services but NEVER implement them. it's just their way to get more money from you but they never refund anything. BUYEE IS A SCAM.

Collector's figures

marcust105
February 22nd, 2021

I used buyee about 100 times. Many items are blocked on the website for reasons not understandable. It must be some bad algorithm deciding! The customer support is also very poor and strict. The shipping rates are rather expensive and usually there is a heavy import and sales tax when the parcel arrives in the country. So it is rather expensive to use the service. If problems arise customers are often left alone. Buyee has a very strict payment policy.

sylvians
July 19th, 2020

So happy to grab an unused Laserdisc of Hiroshima Mon Amour at Yahoo! Japan Auction. I've seen one in a local shop 30 years ago but I couldn't afford it at that time.

It's not my first time to use Buyee's service and I am very satisfied with their service. Sometimes, you can get discount coupons from their website but it really depends on your luck.

kseniyas6
May 12th, 2021

Good afternoon, I am writing a review about the intermediary Byuee.jp. I have been working with them for more than a year and this is the third product, actually about which I prompted in anger to write a review about Byuee.jp. The only plus that the service provides is the purchase from auctions, without uploading the amount to the intermediary's website. However, that's all. Logistics are lame. There are a lot of restrictions on the size, it was problematic to send a sewing machine from them, allegedly exceed the dimensions. The previous 2 purchases were small, came with a creak but whole. As for the sewing and embroidery machine, it came broken into the trash. Moreover, I paid for the protective packaging. But it was not made for international delivery, and so to move from room to room, a cardboard box, nothing is fixed, from protection only a purely formal film with pimples. The intermediary refused to compensate even partially for the shipment and the cost of the goods. Therefore, I conclude that I am not clean. Although it's his fault on the face. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT!

buying sew machine

drusillaj
October 26th, 2020

Shopping with Buyee was a nightmare. I had to reach out to customer service upwards of 50-80 times because they ignored requests, neglected to reply, misunderstood, used confusing English, changed customer service rep for every single email sent, misreported package weight and content, and in the end shipped the package with tons of mistakes. This company reeks of a scam. The customer service reps use polite terms, but that doesn't help when they refuse to give out information, or consistently offer misinformation and contradictory statements.

I ended up overpaying for a shipment lacking in contents and after 2 months delay. One parcel never made it. I'm probably looking at a $3000 loss.

There are so many red flags with Buyee that I don't know where to begin. I regret ever taking a chance on them.

rudyh15
February 23rd, 2021
Verified purchase

I bought a foldable bike and needed to communicate with their support team over a number of issues.

- The wheels came inflated and they needed me to approve either deflating them or removing them before shipping.
- After deflating the wheels, the quoted shipping price went from $130 to $440, prompting more questions from me regarding dimensions and whether or not the bicycle was folded.
- It wasn't folded but it would cost $30 to fold.
- From the dimensions provided, the price of $440 was not correctly calculated based on the formula provided, which I informed them.
- They eventually adjusted the shipping price to $330 for 2 day shipping (I opted not to have it folded in case of damage)
- The most painful thing about all of this is that they reply once a day, and it was very difficult getting through to the live chat system.

My item arrived well packed. I would not recommend using this service for the difficulty in communicating with them alone.

martah27
March 12th, 2020

Well, when I started using this site I was happy with its service, because I only bought one item at a time. The problem came when I was charged the infamous package consolidation fee, which is nonsense, and some of my colleagues had the same problem; it does't make sense and feels like scamming your clients. Their costumer service doesn't provide an explanation always and they're inflexible, they do not help the costumer. Also, if an item comes in a bad condition there's no way to get refunded. I'm very disappointed at this moment.

sead2
January 13th, 2020

They got me for $100 (over normal) on shipping fees. No customer support. They will not honor the shipping prices quoted, so when you go to ship, it is always more expensive.

mikes157
May 24th, 2021

We received the following email from Buyee...

"Unfortunately, the shipping out of the package below has been cancelled, as it was deemed problematic to ship using the chosen shipping method for one of the following reasons:
・Package was too large and/or heavy for the chosen shipping method
・The package contains items that cannot be shipped via the selected shipping method
・The delivery address was changed during the process
・Other"

After Buyee cancelled the shipping option offered which we agreed to pay, Buyee increased their shipping cost by over $100 USD.

BUYEE ARE FRAUDSTERS!

Tip for consumers:
DON'T USE BUYEE UNLESS MONEY IS LIKE BEING TOLD ONE PRICE AND THEN BEING FORCED TO PAY ABOUT DOUBLE THE ORIGINAL QUOTED PRICE!

Well the thing is they do correspond with you, but either way they don´t understand what they wrote or they just having fun with writing useless sensless E-Mail which completley ignore the context of what you wrote to them before which is just frustrating for everybody, cause the might think, hey we are overseas... so what can they do right?!

By Matt A.
See more answers (4)

There is an easy link to Buyee on Yahoo Japan Auctions. I tried it and the company has been very good.

By R S.
See more answers (4)

I was able to find a plush I'd been seeking for months on Yahoo Auctions and, since Buyee has an automated bidding system, I was able to win it for the buyout price then and there instead of waiting for someone else to process my order!

By Katie H.