Review of TeenSafe

Tel: +1-800-245-8598
privacy@teensafe.com

anissag2
5/3/17

This use to be good but now my kids get locked out of apple ids at least 3x a week. I followed TeenSafe directions to supposedly fix this (which took me over 4 hours) to create new apple ids uninstall reinstall and still being locked out of their phones. I called support and they don't even know how to fix it. What a nightmare and waste of time.

Response from Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative
Anissa,

We are very sorry that you are having this issue -- in rare cases, the process they took you through doesn’t resolve the problem and is still being researched by our engineering team.

Apple issued an iOS update at the end of April in response to hackers threatening iCloud accounts http://fortune.com/2017/03/22/apple-iphone-hacker-ransom/ This is an industry-wide issue affecting not only TeenSafe subscribers. We also have many iOS and Android users who are not encountering this issue.

For more information on the issue we recommend that you visit:
1) There are many iPhone users not using monitoring software who are having a similar issue

This is a top priority for our iOS subscribers, as Android is currently not experiencing any issues. Please contact our TeenSafe customer service reps (800)245-8598 for any further help.

Best, the TeenSafe team
jenniferl210
4/27/17

I used this to monitor my daughter's texts, but it kept locking her out of icloud and requiring re-sets. I wasn't getting up to date information until icloud backed up manually for me. I couldn't even locate and monitor her texts when she was away for spring break, which was one of the main reasons I wanted it.

Response from Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative
Jennifer,

We are very sorry that you are having this issue.

Apple issued an iOS update at the end of April in response to hackers threatening iCloud accounts (read here). This is an industry-wide issue affecting not only TeenSafe subscribers. We also have many iOS and Android users who are not encountering this issue.

For more information on the issue we recommend that you visit:

2) For some iPhone users, we have found a way for TeenSafe users to resolve https://www.teensafe.com/blog/deal-icloud-locking-childs-phone/
However, in rare cases, the above process doesn’t resolve all situations and is still being researched by our engineering team.

Best, the TeenSafe team
lancea15
4/23/17

What a joke for Apple products. My suggestion is to not waste your money. They better not charge me after I have cancelled.

Response from Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative
Sorry you had an issue. When Apple issues operating system or iCloud updates our team works very hard to update our software as soon as possible. There are times when this takes longer than we like and the software doesn’t work as designed. We currently have many parents successfully using our iPhone version of both TeenSafe Monitor and TeenSafe Control with a usual number of misunderstandings that we attempt to resolve quickly. Also, we have just issued an updated version. Best, the TeenSafe team
johnb850
4/21/17

The service just does not work well for Apple products. It simply does not work as advertised at this point. I was very hopeful that this service would be a solution to keeping a protective eye on my kids. After numerous updates and time spent with customer support, I requested a refund for 1-month of the service and was denied. It really is unfortunate because I wanted to use the service long term, but now will start searching for an alternative solution. Sorry Teen-Safe, you're just not ready for prime time yet.

Response from Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative
We just issued an updated version with new features. We’re sorry you had issues getting it running. When Apple issues operating system or iCloud updates our team works very hard to update our software as soon as possible. There are times when this takes longer than we like and the software doesn’t work as designed. We currently have many parents successfully using our iPhone version of both TeenSafe Monitor and TeenSafe Control. In our Terms of Use it states that any use of a full access paid account by a user, no full or partial refund will be issued. I encourage you to contact them again if you indeed did not get the data from your child’s phone. Best, the TeenSafe team
chrisr214
3/8/17

You only get all of the updates from your kid's iphone at night, when its charging, and there is nothing else going on. THis is entirely useless for what parents need it for. We need to know information now. If I had 24 hrs where I could trust my kid, I would not be using software like this at all.

Response from Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative
Chris,

We understand this issue for you. Android and Apple’s operating systems are very different. TeenSafe on Android updates all the time. There are limitations from Apple’s iOS that we wish weren’t there. The monitoring still helps parents with insights to manage through the digital safety minefields. Best, the TeenSafe team
lisas384
2/28/17

Teen safe control ap is a complete bust! I spent hours working through bugs to get this installed on my teen's phone only to realize she can delete it from their phone settings by simply going to device management, selecting stop managing device and entering her phone password.. so much for that! What a joke!

Response from Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative
Lisa,
When Apple updated to iOS 10.2 this became an issue and we are working hard to resolve. Feedback from other parents is that monitoring is the safety condition for the privilege of smartphone use. Our TeenSafe Android version does not allow the teen to remove. Thanks for being a digital safety savvy parent. Best, the TeenSafe team
traciak
2/22/17

These people have scammed me - continue to bill me after cancellation through the use of identity fraud - customer service won't help - online messages are rejected. BEWARE! And it never worked. One star is way to many. Looking to put together a class action suit.

Response from Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative
Tracia,

We’re sorry you had a problem. We understand from customer service that your issue has been resolved in less than 24 hours. We’ve had more than a million sign-ups for our service with a usual number of misunderstandings that we attempt to resolve quickly. Our team works very hard to provide timely and accurate resolutions. Best, the TeenSafe team
mc526
2/14/17

Don't waste your time getting tangled up with this useless software. It promises to track website activity, but doesn't. Their representative said it doesn't work for current system software on an Android. What the heck? When I told them to cancel my account, the rep said I could not get a refund because "I had seen data." RIGHT. Guess what TeenSafe? I'm going to broadcast this review as many times as I can.

Response from Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative
Greetings and sorry you are having issues. For the newest Android OS 6.0 or higher, Google does not allow access to any Internet History to any company. Operating system updates aren’t in our control and can affect our service offerings.

In our Terms of Use it states that any use of a full access paid account by a user, no full or partial refund will be issued. That being said we do not want frustrated customers. Please send us your email and we will resolve for you. Best, the TeenSafe team.
jacquelinek16
1/11/17

This site has you put in a credit card I didn't get to process the info or use the service and it billed my credit card it sucks getting your card info to steal your acct info by charging you up front its a scam rate this place a big fat zero . Never give your numbers for a free trial because they try to bill you regardless if you cancel or not I didn't' even use the service that is for this or any other so called free trial once they have your info that's it.

Tip for consumers: Don't use it

Response from Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative
Sorry you are having an issue. Hopefully this is resolved by now. Please reach out to our customer support team to help you. You can call (800)245-8598 or email support@teensafe.com. Many businesses use the practice of securing a free trial with a credit card. Best, the TeenSafe team
stephanieb124
1/3/17

I took an hour out of my day and installed this app on both of my teens phones. I saw text messages and was able to see deleted texts and even block apps. However, the positive reviews on here have to be their employees making things up. I also wanted this app to restrict time and pause while my daughter is driving. When I couldn't find a tab to access these controls, I sent an email, and guess what " we're sorry, we have not completely gotten the functions up and running yet". Disappointing!! Uninstalled and cancelled my subscription after two hours!

Response from Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative
Sorry you had an issue. When Apple and Google issue operating system updates our team works very hard to update our software as soon as possible. There are times when this takes longer than we like and some functions are not available. The pause function is currently working but understand your frustration that it wasn’t when you wanted to use it. Best, the TeenSafe Team
jamesb461
12/14/16

Not a good choice..
Too many 3rd party kinks.. in the system..
It's theoretically good.. but.. this is the thing that I have found out..
Using this with an iPhone may not work as well as you think..
All iPhones back up to iCloud..
Yet not all do it every night..
But when it does.. the teensafe will be avail to update..
I have tried teensafe on 2 different iPhones.. and the iPhones did not update everyday automatically.... after a call to apple regarding this issue.. I was informed that the iCloud may not update on a daily basis.. even when you set it up for an automatic update..and this leads to teensafe issues..
You see.. I want to know what's going on with my kids phone use on a daily basis..at least within 24 hours..
Not when the iCloud on their phone updates.. the update may have at least a week interval before an update..And that's too late..
It's not a teensafe fault.. yet teensafe should mention this before you commit to using it..

bobk71
12/5/16

We tried the free trial but it is extremely limited so we opted to pay the full price for the app the second day.

Then we found out it won't block any apps our daughter downloaded or show us her web history because her phone has an updated version of Android. They were unwilling to refund our payment even though we did not get the services they advertise for their app.

If you have an ancient phone, this app might work for you, but if you are using a relatively new device, look elsewhere.

tracys111
12/3/16

Its like your bothering them, horrible attitudes long wait times and for me 4 hours later nothing is fixed. I can check on a computer through the website what my child is doing but was never able to get the app to work.....

jossief
11/25/16

It's always good to have the possibility to rely on tools that can help with today's parenting. Kids are proned to so much info that you need to keep up and tools like Teensafe can really make the difference when you are trying to do a good job as a parent.

rosemaryd13
11/22/16

I have a "never met a stranger" bubbly tween. Want her to interact with her friends on her iPhone but also want to monitor and protect her as she's still a bit naive. She understands why we're using TeenSafe so our family is all in! Thank you! Not sleepless in St. Louis.

kellyl100
11/18/16

I can say that the best feature so far that Teensafe has come up with is the ability to block Snap Chat which in my opinion is a dangerous app that can get our kids in trouble.

christinaw49
11/1/16

I can't complain. The price is a no brainer if you have 3 kids to monitor.

amyw135
11/1/16

Had this app for FOUR months and it never worked completely. I was able to see text messages okay (but I had to do a back up manually even though it was plugged in to charge every night.) The pause button never worked. Called multiple months and it was never corrected. Child can still receive and send text message even in HEAVY mode setting and pause. They did say they knew that was a problem but no fix for it. Decided today that I wasn't going to pay for it another month. After several hours with various CSR's and a supervisor I was told to reset the phone. Seriously? If you load it, be warned, you'll never be able to unload it. There is no way to remove it.

dannyn12
11/1/16

this service doesn't work for all providers ,,freedompop,is one ,,I was still charged the full price ,,make sure to go thru a prepaid card or paypal ,,I only received what google ,,so text or call log ,,just location or emails ,,make sure it works with your provider

travism58
11/1/16

Tried the trial version of teen safe for the I phone. I was having problems with it retrieving the data. I called customer service to get help and get a few questions answered but wasn't getting any clear answers. So I asked to talk to the manager and I was hung up on. from what I understand the android version works pretty well but the I phone has some major flaws. the way it works is you give them the apple id and password for the phone you want to monitor and every night the phone does a i cloud backup of the phone which they can then have access to and display it on your parental dash board. the trouble you run into is if the phone receives a call or text or notification of any kind during the back up it fails to finish the backup and you don't have the newest data the next day. so you could go 30 days without it ever backing up correctly and you are basically paying for nothing. so until they can improve the I phone side of it i will pass.

drewt12
10/11/16

My main concern is the lack of sleep my child gets when he jumps on that phone at nights and can't get off of it. My wife and I decided to try the Teensafe Manage app which allows you to lock the phone at any time. So now we lock his phone at nights around 8:30 pm so he can sleep well and unlock it at 7 am when he goes to school. We spoke to him about it, and even though he wasn't excited about it he respects the rules.

marisolf1
10/6/16

My sister asked me why I wanted to spy on my child....and I answered pretty straight forward: "Dawn is my child and I am a responsible parent who wants to make sure her daughter doesn't get in trouble or posts indecent pics on social media." I was a kid too and know how vulnerable and how much peer pressure there is to do things (sometimes not the right things) just to please others. Well as a parent, I decided to take a stand and guide and protect my daughter if a situation like this arises.

tiffanyb56
9/13/16

Teensafe came out with the Teensafe Manage App which allows you to pause your child's phone and lock it. They are only allowed to make phone call at that point. I used to have all sorts of fights with my daughter while she was driving as she checked her phone at the same time. I am afraid she can get into an accident and hurt herself as well as others. With this app I can control her not using her phone while driving.

arans
8/8/16

My main concern is the environment around my children and even sometimes the people they may hang out with. I don't monitor them to snoop, but to make sure they are safe. Every parent should be aware that the dangers today are even bigger in this digital world we live in.

johnd614
8/7/16

If you're looking for an app to creep on your child and completely invade their sense of privacy, this is the app for you!

No, but seriously. The concept of this app is beyond weird. If you want to know everything your child does on the internet, you are not a good parent. You are just a creep who enjoys lurking around in other peoples private lives.

They have to backup to iCloud. If they aren't on wifi and plugged in at some point then it won't backup. No backup means no data. If that happens we just go to the phone and force a backup and it will get you all the latest data.

By Stephen M.

Not a hoax...just of very limited use in my opinion. If all you want to do is watch text messages than i guess it's ok....but only if the phone backs up to the cloud. Really isnt very valuable. I had it for less than a week and it was pretty pointless really.

By Brian K.

Yeah, sorry but I don't have/use Snapchat so I don't know - apparently not. Sorry again.

By DJ S.

Nothing gets installed on your phone. Therefore, there is nothing to remove. Change your Apple ID password and the passwords for your social media accounts. Unless you gave this person all of your passwords, there isn't a way for them to spy on you with Teensafe.

By Kevin P.

Yes, the carrier you use doesn't matter. Here is some more information https://www.teensafe.com/blog/faq-everything-need-know-install-teensafe-childs-phone/ Thanks for the inquiry.

By Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative

Sorry you are having an issue, our support team can answer these questions. Please reach out to our customer support team to help you. You can call (800)245-8598 or email support@teensafe.com.

By Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative

Greetings Heather. Hope this answers your questions. If not please ask here. https://www.teensafe.com/blog/faq-everything-need-know-install-teensafe-childs-phone/

By Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative

Yes, we do work in Canada. This may have useful information for you https://www.teensafe.com/blog/faq-everything-need-know-install-teensafe-childs-phone/

By Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative

The tech team says this all depends on the number of text messages sent, time, period between iCloud being shut off etc. and depends on how Apple iCloud works. If said messages are saved in the backup then yes. We can't guarantee this if turned off. So it is best to leave the iCloud backup on.

By Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative

Hmmm, not sure Steve. Sorry you are having an issue. Please reach out to our customer support team to help you. You can call (800)245-8598 or email support@teensafe.com. Or send us your email here and can have them look up the account for you.

By Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative
Questions? Get answers from the TeenSafe staff and other customers.

TeenSafe?