Review of TeenSafe

Tel: +1-800-245-8598
privacy@teensafe.com

elizabethv19
12/28/15

When looking back at the old days I wonder how my parents used to track me down or know what I was doing when all I used was my diary. Now that I am a parent and know that my daughter is exposed to so many things out there on the web, I really need to make sure she is hanging out with the right people and not doing crazy things. One of the features of Teensafe is allowing us to monitor some apps like KIK and Instagram which are very popular and my daughter uses. This is one of the reasons I decided to purchase the app and do not regret it for a second. I feel that I am taking a responsible and proactive attitude raising my child by making sure she is safe.

nancye20
12/18/15

I did all the steps and it never updated info...it's a scam

amberl40
12/14/15

For many of us parents who work (sometimes even night shifts like I do), it is such a relief to be able to monitor your children when you are unable to be around at all times. One of my daughter's friend had some pictures floating around on the web which I thought were inappropriate and would not like to see my daughter having pictures like that posted on different sites. This is why I think we need to make sure that we keep a close eye on what they do. Teensafe is now monitoring Instagram and this is such a relief since most of those pictures are posted on sites like this. The only thing I think it lacks is the fact that they cannot monitor facebook, but I was told that it is because of facebook's internal policies.

nicholef4
12/5/15

As a parent of two, my main concern is the safety of my children all the time! But I also don't want them to think that I'm stalking them. So right away, after setting up my Teensafe free trial account, I talked to both of my children about what the service is and what it can do.

We agreed that I would stay out of their text messages, but that for their own safety I want to be able to track their location. And after using teensafe for over a week now, I have to say it works like a charm! I am able to see both of my teens' smartphone locations at any time, which gives me a lot of peace of mind (especially on days when I can't pick them up from training or on weekends when they are out with friends).

sb140
12/3/15

I life Teen Safe overall. I have a teen with bipolar disorder so it is important for me to monitor what she is up to from time to time for her own protection just in case she is getting ready to engage in some risky behaviors. The only downside is every now and then you will have a period of an hour or two delay and that could be critical in certain situations. I find that AT&T Family Maps is way more accurate on location but Teen Safe will provide a general location for you. The only real downside is if your child is using a third party texting app like TextNow or another that is not built into the phone, you will NOT see those messages. One very positive policy that Teen Safe has that other Parental "spy" apps do not have is that you cannot see Snapchat photos or pics sent in MMS messages for a reason. Think about it...if another child sent your child a sexting photo, even though you don't want your child doing that, would you want to see it? Of course not! Or would you want another adult seeing a pic if you child sent a sexting photo?? It is for the protection of the kids involved who make bad choices and I applaud them for not allowing pics to be seen by adults. Overall I give this app 4 out of 5 stars. I have used it for two of my kids, android and iPhone, and I think it is worth the $14.95 a month.

sheylag
11/7/15

No matter how much you want to use this to protect your child all this software is doing is making it easier for the predators to locate your children. All they need is their apple id and password and they have access to all your childs infromation.

maggieb23
11/3/15

I set up an account yesterday and logged in successfully. However now I have been charged $14.95 after the 1st say and I can't log back in without giving my credit card information again?? The advertisement states you will not be charged until after the 7 day trial is up. And now I have been charged and can't even log back in without giving more money!!!!

djs11
10/21/15

Before I got Teensafe, I called their customer service department and got right through, no problem. Obviously I got it to monitor my teen's social media after discovering she said she was eighteen and she's in fact only sixteen. Also wanted the ability to find her using the phone location feature since we have Indian casinos in the area and I do NOT want her there! And if you pay attention to when your child is driving, you can tell if they are texting and driving - a huge bonus! Thanks Teensafe!

roseg29
10/19/15

I have had this tool for about 3 months now and so thankful because it helps me sleep at nights. The fact that I have a way to know who my children interact with and keeping an open line communication about this has helped us a lot as a family. The app is easy to use and would recommend to other parents.

rosies6
9/14/15

I only wanted to use free trial to see how it all works. I had lost my ph, tee safe gave me wrong location in which I ended up going to the persons house. It could of got ugly, but I walked away. It's been four months and every month I have tried to cancel my subscription,but can't sign in. Every moth I get charged $15.38. Unsure what to do

dianap35
9/5/15

This app is extremely clunky and not user-friendly AT ALL. I had it set up on her phone, and couldn't ever get any of the new information to load. I cancelled my subscription, and then gave it another try recently. All of the location services as well as the Find My iPhone were connected on her phone, and it still won't work. Not worth the money. Don't even bother.

jeffd49
8/20/15

This service is a complete scam. We wasted so much time trying to get current information that just wouldnt download. Dont waste your time, money, energy or effort on this. This was by far the most frustrating program we bought and got barely any information that we needed.

mylindal
8/20/15

I initially had trouble during my free trial and was able to get support on the phone right away. The problem was I needed to keep my son signed into iCloud. After convincing him, I was able to look at his texts. It was awesome. And then it wasn't.

After a few days went by I could no longer get his texts, even the old ones that I already read. The data update button disappeared. I could locate him though, which wasn't that awesome since he is upstairs in his room.

Not wanting to waste my time with customer support, I remembered what fast service I received when I called before. I begrudgingly got my phone hoping for the same. No such luck this time. I listened to some jazzy tune featuring the Xylophone over and over again while on hold for quite awhile. Bored, I happened upon this review site and read that I was not alone in my frustration.

Save your monthly $15.

kalies
8/18/15

Teen safe was such a disappointment. It didn't have all the texts there and some deleted texts were listed as "Dec 31, 1964". And then several texts were missing when I KNEW there were texts there. Almost every conversation was completely out of order so it made it difficult to decipher. And then one day I went to log in and it said "no texts" and the button to "download latest data" was gone. All in all I think it's a great idea to be able to monitor my kids texts, but teen safe has a LOT of work to do to improve the glitches. And until they do, I'll be keeping my $15 a month.

njmoml
8/11/15

My 16 year old son is your average teen, smart with the phones, computers, a wise ass and sneaky as all hell, lol. So i told him that this service was for GPS on his phone for his protection, to know his whereabouts in case something happened. My hubby and i work all day, come home at 5pm. my son will promise he's here when he's really there with his best buddy who's 18 and already drives a car (god only knows where THERE is). plus he's dating a girl that i don't know and that could be trouble in itself. we talk to him about ALL and EVERY kind of danger there is, literally we talk often but not all at once about bullying, sex, sexting, alcohol, drugs, drug dealing, pregnancy, abortion, rape, shop lifting and any other crimes as well as driving carefully on the road while in his friend's car. I'm a paranoid mother and i'm a Christian as well so I throw in the bible verses too to try to keep him grounded. But of course, he's a typical teen boy that happens to have borderline ADHD so he lies and hides things from me. I wanted to see where he goes throughout the day and unfortunately this service does not give me specific and accurate details about the addresses. It was hard to get the appleid password from him to begin with but i did and then i did the whole icloud backup more than once but information still wouldn't come through with really updated information. I was able to see initially some texts between him and the girl and found out he went into her house for ten minutes without her parents there. Trouble!! From the texts messages I can tell the girl was even scared to talk about him coming to her house. So i took advantage of that scenario and a week later I talked to him casually about the girl and told him " if she's a decent girl, respect her and stay out of her panties and stay out of her house if no one is home." The look on his face said it all, he was surprised but played it off with an exasperated "YES, mom." I reiterated with "if her parents come home and find you there what would you do?" Then the kid changed the password and of course i can't get any updated information.Trust me even though i'm paranoid about his whereabouts I'm still not the type to read every single text message and i wasn't looking to get into his IG, FB, Kik, Twitter, etc..But having his contact list would have been good and once a month i would have checked to make sure he wasn't lying about his whereabouts or the girl. But this service lacks a lot. And for parents like myself that are not computer/phone savvy it's no good, it's exhausting trying to figure it all out even with instructions and help and i'm an intelligent person. I will rely on my faith and my talks with my son to try and keep him on track and hope it works out. This is after all a phase and my son is not a bad kid, he's never gotten in trouble with the law, he's just a curious teenager, but I rather deal with a little bit of my own angst than to not have my son safe at home at the end of the day, everything else I can eventually deal with.

kevinp63
7/14/15

I used Teen Safe on my kids' iPhones. It works by backing up the phone to iCloud and restoring it to TeenSafe's web site so you can view it via their portal. It doesn't update data automatically and is only as current as the most recent backup.

The advertised GPS functionality is something I was never able to get working. It doesn't show location history nor was I able to reliably look at their current location. I am able to track their location through other means. (Find My Friends on Apple iPhone does this outside of TeenSafe.)

It does not show you any photo or video content. If you're hoping to ensure your child is not engaging in sexting, etc, this product is useless.

It doesn't monitor SnapChat. It does monitor Kik but the messages are not threaded and photos are not shown. Text messages are not organized into conversations.

Instagram is no longer supported.

Facebook monitoring is done by linking the account to into the TeenSafe dashboard. Frankly, since you need all of the passwords for each of these accounts anyway, you'd be better off simply logging into the various accounts as them to see what they're up to.

The bottom line: This product is more or less useless and delivers far less than is promised by the company.

andreag19
6/18/15

Do Not get this app. I have had it for a few months and every time I sit down to use it, it takes so long to figure out how it works. I just quit. Tonight when I tried it just kept kicking me off. I mean I couldn't even get in to my account. I just canceled and wasted $45. for the last three months.

addiel14
4/16/15

Sincere thanks to TeenSafe guys for letting us have a free trial. this app is so complicated, took me days to get an idea. i installed FamilyTime parallel to Teensafe just to have a better idea which one is better (since both have free trials) familytime guys have keept it safe. I liked how they play it all safe. no spying and stuff. also FT is only for sonme bucks and TS is for 14 bucks. that's quite a lot of money i will pay for an app that works sometimes and force-closes all the time. I think FamilyTime can give other parental apps a good completion pretty soon. new app but very neat

julid
2/9/15

They offer a one week free trial and guarantee you won't be charged if you cancel your subscription before your one week is up. Unfortunately, there is no way to cancel! The website seriously has no information on how to cancel and if you call the company you will be put on hold FOREVER! I tried numerous times and was on hold for over 20 minutes before I gave up! No operator ever answered my call no matter which "option" I clicked on for service.

christopherj26
9/8/14

I work with several parents who use this website to monitor their children's smart phone behavior. They love the functionality and all report it provides exactly what they promise. Sounds like a solid monthly investment for parents concerned about their children's online/cellular activities.

marcelad
5/2/14

Fantastic tool for managing teenage use of cell phones and social media. I was super impressed with the system and the different features. Although my son is not yet a teenager, I'm glad to know there are tool that will help when the time comes and he is entrusted with so much power in the form of a smart phone. Phenomenal tool, highly recommend it.

They have to backup to iCloud. If they aren't on wifi and plugged in at some point then it won't backup. No backup means no data. If that happens we just go to the phone and force a backup and it will get you all the latest data.

By Stephen M.

Not a hoax...just of very limited use in my opinion. If all you want to do is watch text messages than i guess it's ok....but only if the phone backs up to the cloud. Really isnt very valuable. I had it for less than a week and it was pretty pointless really.

By Brian K.

Yeah, sorry but I don't have/use Snapchat so I don't know - apparently not. Sorry again.

By DJ S.

Nothing gets installed on your phone. Therefore, there is nothing to remove. Change your Apple ID password and the passwords for your social media accounts. Unless you gave this person all of your passwords, there isn't a way for them to spy on you with Teensafe.

By Kevin P.

Yes, the carrier you use doesn't matter. Here is some more information https://www.teensafe.com/blog/faq-everything-need-know-install-teensafe-childs-phone/ Thanks for the inquiry.

By Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative

Sorry you are having an issue, our support team can answer these questions. Please reach out to our customer support team to help you. You can call (800)245-8598 or email support@teensafe.com.

By Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative

Greetings Heather. Hope this answers your questions. If not please ask here. https://www.teensafe.com/blog/faq-everything-need-know-install-teensafe-childs-phone/

By Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative

Yes, we do work in Canada. This may have useful information for you https://www.teensafe.com/blog/faq-everything-need-know-install-teensafe-childs-phone/

By Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative

The tech team says this all depends on the number of text messages sent, time, period between iCloud being shut off etc. and depends on how Apple iCloud works. If said messages are saved in the backup then yes. We can't guarantee this if turned off. So it is best to leave the iCloud backup on.

By Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative

Hmmm, not sure Steve. Sorry you are having an issue. Please reach out to our customer support team to help you. You can call (800)245-8598 or email support@teensafe.com. Or send us your email here and can have them look up the account for you.

By Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative
Questions? Get answers from the TeenSafe staff and other customers.

1 Photo for TeenSafe