Review of Birchbox

Tel: (877) 487 7272
info@birchbox.com

nr46
12/8/17

The subscription itself is lackluster. Nowadays there are several others out there that you should consider. My real problem is when you use the shop and dealing with customer service. It takes forever to receive your refund and then they question you about why you had to return something. I used to really enjoy the company, but as of late it's been horrible.

eg315
12/8/17

**Disclaimer** I have no idea about the quality of their service. I ordered a giftbox for my girlfriend for Christmas and we won't be receiving the 1st one for another week yet.

If you put your email address into their website, expect to get endless marketing emails, Every. Single. Day. It's impossible to unsubscribe. Their unsubscribe mechanism on their website doesn't work and they are unresponsive to emails. They are either lack the technical expertise to fix their site or simply don't care to stop spamming me. This represents a lack of respect and professionalism. If you have *any* other options, I'd go with those.

tesss3
12/6/17

I am SO disappointed with the latest box. I see there is a sand&Skye pore facemask and undereye mask. Two areas of interest I clearly noted in my beauty profile(when signing up you can set a beauty profile so they send you things according to your needs/interests). What do I get? Travel size shampoo and shower gel (again!). What a rip off!!! Beauty profile is totally disregarded. I am sick of receiving soap! I wanted to sign up to discover new brands! Don't sign up guys....

caseyl27
11/14/17

The samples are small, almost always broken and nothing I would ever use. ENOUGH with the dry shampoo's and orange lip liners! Waste of money for sure!!

ashleys242
11/13/17

Please dont subscribe to this box. Just dont. I ordered my first box with a promo code to receive 2 extra mascaras. I got an email a week later saying whoops! They messed up and they were all gone, but they would send me a similar product. Fine, okay. Then it took me 3+ weeks to even receive it. In the mean time, I was charged for my second box before I even knew if I liked it. The products are just thrown in a cardboard box, no attempt at presentation whatsoever. My first box had the extra mascaras just thrown in the mailing bag loose. I ended up throwing away most of the samples I received because they were either worthless (a piece of cardboard with a smudge of lipstick, for example) or full of toxic crap; I was under the impression that Birchbox was a higher quality beauty subscription, but I suppose I was wrong. In an attempt to find out what the heck was going on with my boxes, I sent a note to customer service. Its like they didnt even read my note. It was just a generic response that was completely unhelpful and made me even more angry. I wish I would have spent my $20 on literally any other beauty box subscription.

erinm112
10/25/17

Just don't. Save yourself a headache and go with any other similar service.

They recently changed shipping "partners" (eye roll) and I never received a box again. I would report the missing box, they would send a replacement weeks later via another shipping service which means they knew there was a problem with the original shipping service and yet it was never looked into.

I think it's insane that more action wasn't taken. Wouldn't you want to solve this issue and make sure your customers were getting your product!? The customer service emails in response to my missing reports would imply that I must have changed my address and there was nothing they could do--made it seem like they were doing me a favor by reshipping it. Come on.

caitk3
10/14/17

I set my husband up for a subscription and the first box came this month. It was very disappointing. This is basically just a marketing and sales ploy that isnt worth the money. They say they are sending cologn, but all it was, was a 1x1 piece of paper with the scent of a cologn, not even usable. Then the shampoo and conditioner were just one-time-use packets. Their advertising of the products they send is very misleading.

susanb316
10/9/17

I have been subscribing to Birchbox for over a year and I am just done with it. It was fine, fun a getting the box each month but now I do not want to get it anymore. It is absolutely impossible to cancel your subscription. If you call customer service, you get an automated response telling you you must go on the website and " send a note", which I have done, with no response. There are also very difficult to find instructions on how to cancel on the web site, but that also proven unsuccessful for me. So now I'm just mad and would never recommend it to anyone again. If they had just made it easy to cancel I would have encouraged people to try it , as I wasn't really unhappy with it, it had just run its course for me.

kristas16
9/22/17

Ordered Birchbox as a gift. Picked the delivery dates and called and was assured their delivery issues were fixed. It's now been 14 days and just got an email that there is a delay. If your getting this for a gift on a specific date... may be best to choose another gift box.

cathyl65
9/21/17

This is the second time I have received the box with the best part missing which is the perfume samples. Nothing else in these boxes is ever worth the $10 or it is something no one would ever like.

claires76
9/12/17

When i subscribed over a year ago, this was a great service. But since then, the quality of the samples has dropped, damaged items come more often, customer service has gotten less helpful, etc. Sadly I don't think it's worth it anymore.

angieh50
9/10/17

Never had a problem with bb till my September box 2017. I didnt recieve my Pixi Maxi lip gloss,and i cant get any customer assistance.

rhondao13
9/10/17

I was hopeful when I signed up and excited to try new products. When it took more than twice the length of time promised to receive my first box, I was very disappointed. I had sent a couple of emails only to receive their automatic reply and no actual information. But the worst part was opening my very first box to find the purple shampoo had come open and ruined almost everything in the Box. The samples were thrown in the Box with no sort of paper or Bubble wrap to keep the items from jostling around. Again I emailed the company, received their automatic reply that they would get back to me shortly and waited, and received no reply. I submitted my cancellation to which they sent yet another automated reply asking why I cancelled. I referred them to my previous emails and never heard another word. There seems to be a lot of sample providers like this available, I suggest you use anyone other than Birchbox.

emilye36
9/5/17

I have had problems with the "points system". Points have suddenly disapeared or were not applied to orders. When I tried to contact them (5-6 times) to ask if I could apply credits ($18.20) to an order I had pressed send on about 10 mintues earlier, I was sent a cryptic message stating that someone would get back to me shortly. They never did, never have. I cancelled my subscription, and odlly received an email right away stating they were sorry to see me go... but again, when I tried to contact them- nothing. There are no phone numbers or direct lines to the company. It's like they aren't real. So wierd. Sorry I gave them my money for 10 months.

artm34
9/3/17

Was gifted a three month subscription and month three has just passed with ZERO boxes delivered. No response from customer service, despite many tries.

What a scam.

johnq36
8/26/17

Birchbox was once a cool company with nice benefits (for $20 per month). If you reviewed sample products you paid for, you would receive points that would accumulate and allow you a nice little discount on products they sell. Well, they must not have made enough money on that scheme so they ended it. No more points or discounts for you! Each month you will receive some grooming products and a "lifestyle" product. Underwear, socks, a tie, and electronic item. Something worth about $10-$15 maybe. So you pay $20 per month (men's subscription) for a $10 item and samples you could get for FREE at Sephora. Suddenly the service went down the toilet. You SUPPOSEDLY get to chose your lifestyle item each month. Good luck. You select a neat little electronic item but you are sent a junky trinket because there were "production" problems. LOL! This happens all the time. I finally decided I had to complain to them. They couldn't give two S**TS. I'm convinced they "marked" me because my box every month is missing an item or I get junky trinket I didn't want. Oh well, my subscription ends in December. Then I'm done with them forever.
Long story short... Take $10 and buy yourself a neat little item (from amazon) they may feature on their website. Then go to mall and get 3 tiny samples from Sephora or ULTA. Next, put $10 back in your pocket. You will end up exactly the same without the frustration of getting screwed EVERY month.

lindsayl22
8/26/17

...and still waiting for my updated tracking, let alone my purchase. August box arrived on 8/23. I've really enjoyed my BB membership but this month, and their 'new delivery system' are aggravating AF.

lisaz15
8/17/17

The first few months were ok, then boxes began arriving damaged or lost altogether. It is impossible to contact anyone!!! I finally "scheduled" a phone call and they were late to call, and then didn't leave a voicemail. I called back the number and got an automated system that referred me back to voicemail. Beyond frustrating, and frankly unacceptable. I highly recommend you look into purchasing from a different company!

leahk22
8/15/17

I don't like to do this because I work in customer service and understand how customers can be. However, this is an exception. I was gifted a year long birch box subscription for Christmas two years in a row. I was super excited to try samples and explore new products. The first subscription, they missed two of my boxes and had to extend my year plan. The second subscription, I claimed by gift, it never came in the mail the whole year. My friend wasted her money and customer service told me it had expired, it was a new subscription! DON'T waste your money or time. I loved getting samples but customer service is extremely frustrating.

jolies1
8/12/17

damaged products in my box - i want a refund or a new box. a blush that cracked was all over the products in the ox had to throw it all away big mess on my carpet and my clothing

trishc20
8/9/17

I have had this subscription for over a year! Let me tell you how awful they are. Repeat products, if you have allegories they don't care. They refuse to stop sending me hair products even though I have a horrible allergy condition. You never receive emails back, chat can't help you with any issues. Basically, they don't have personal stylist. They send all their subscribers the same box each month. I have atleast 20 repeat products. So while they are drinking their lattes in New York their so called stylist are lazy and probably planning there night life instead of doing their actual job. I now plan on starting a blog contacting each and everyone of their product partners and sharing all my emails and correspondence with Birchbox. I am over companies scamming people with over promises and under delivery with no consequences. Send me an email if you would like to join up and share your stories to help make a difference. Mscamp69@gmail.com

davisc26
7/22/17

These people must absolutely hate money. Tried to send multiple gift subscriptions and it couldn't be harder if they tried. Pure incompetence. Best of luck with your bankruptcy.

roseg52
7/19/17

Seriously, I filled out the profile. Short, baby fine hair, serious allergy to coconut oil, don't like dark lipsticks, very pale complexion, etc. What do I get in the first box? A dark brown lipstick (ewww) and stuff for my super curly thick hair, loaded with shea and coconut oil!! I cancelled immediately. I'll find someone to give the stuff to. They're all little samples you'd get at a department store, only lower quality. Don't waste your time here.

lesliec79
7/9/17

I ordered a birch box subscription for my daughter on June 20. I have called them and emailed them at least five times, and we still have not received any gift. I am getting ready to turn them into my credit card company as a fraud.

lindah293
7/1/17

This website must have been designed by the animals in the zoo. It is almost impossible to complete an order from this company.

First, the LOGIN nightmare. They want you to CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD ON A REGULAR BASIS, so to simply log in you have to go through the process of changing your password. And I am RUNNING OUT OF PASSWORD IDEAS, because they have SO MANY RULES ABOUT WHAT THE PASSWORD CAN BE!!!!!!! I can spend 15 minutes of my precious day simply figuring out a new password, that I cam remember and that complies with their ego-inflated requirements! This company is NOT A TOP SECRET FEDERAL SPY RING for goodness sakes! ALL I WANTED WAS SHAMPOO!!!!!! What are they afraid of - that some desperado will break into my account and buy me a bottle of shampoo?????

NEXT IS THE SHIPPING. Believe me, they are not in a hurry to send my orders after I have paid. It could be anywhere from one week to one month before my orders arrive.

And it is difficult to navigate the website. It is a very fashionable site that simply REEKS of snobbiness, but it really isnt all that functional, popping up error messages at every turn. This is an absolute mess.

There is only ONE REASON THAT I KEEP GOING BACK, and that is because they have exclusive rights to sell my favorite shampoo. So, they have me over a barrel. I dread order day and so wish I could get this product somewhere - ANYWHERE other than this crazy, screwed up place.

Snobby, overpriced, and dysfunctional. If you have any other choice for the product you want, then RUN AWAY!

Tip for consumers: DON’T USE BIRCHBOX IF THE PRODUCT YOU WANT IS AVAILABLE FROM ANOTHER VENDOR.

I've bought a few. I've liked several more enough to buy a full size item but haven't gotten around to it yet because I have enough of a similar product on hand for now.

By Jennifer M.

The issue I've had with them is that their customer service contact information was difficult to locate, so I get it. I had to contact them over Twitter to get it. The email form on the website doesn't do you much good. Try sending an email to info@birchbox.com for a better response. If all else fails, and you can't seem to get them to stop charging you, contact your credit card company, and let them handle it for you.

By Jennifer M.

You get one point per dollar when shopping in the Birchbox shop. Additionally, reviewing the items you received in your Birchbox earns 10 points per review, and sharing your box on social media also yields you 10 points.

By Jennifer M.

If you like goofy small, sometimes TINY, samples of weird products then Birchbox is great. Most products get tossed in the same drawer with my HOTEL sized products collected from our travels. Waste of time and money.

By Frank O.

Hi. Can you call the bank that issues you the card and tell them to cancel the auto payment? I haven't gotten to the cancel process yet. This was a birthday gift from my friend and I didn't want to offend her, so I'm just dealing with it.

By Trisha P.

In my opinion the profile does not help. I have received more mascara samples since March than I can handle and a boat load of hair products. It's not for everyone. It's a nice way to try products from companies you've never heard of. But I know people who do the same with the free gift with purchase from department stores or bare minerals or as I do from Sephora. In those 3 instances you have control over what samples you get, if you don't like what they offer, then wait a month and buy your foundation then, chances are you will eventually see an offer from something that you really want to try. I get email offers every week telling me what is new, what won Allure's best beauty award, specials, etc. Try it if you are looking for something new or are open to trying new products you won't see in boutiques, but as some people have stated in reviews, it is very hard to cancel sometimes and they are slow to respond when you don't get your box.

By Trisha P.

Not at all. Has something for all ages.

By Becky D.

I think so...., but you will be disappointed!

By Christine C.

you can easily cancel, but do not even get started. It is not worth it. Get IPSY instead, so much better!!!

By Christine C.

Sadly, I've been looking at the reviews of all the big subscription boxes, hoping to find one that's worth the slightest amount of money. Looking at the reviews, it looks like the boxes usually don't come in!! I hope this is a different situation, but from what I've seen, It's a rip-off. Even though I've seen comments saying they don't come in, I've seen ones that say if you look at the website, there's an email that sometimes works (Even though I've seen comments that say that it doesn't). Maybe you can try a different company, like ipsy (Even though you should probably read the reviews first before having the chance to get scammed). Hope this can help.

By Ellie S.
Questions? Get answers from the Birchbox staff and other customers.

Birchbox?