Review of Birchbox

Tel: (877) 487 7272
info@birchbox.com

clarar37
9/11/18

Is this sites betfer than ipsy? Ive heard plenty od things such as they send you full sized product and not small sample s like ipsy does

kathyg212
9/10/18

This site is a sample site it's just 10.00 a month it lets you sample fragrance makeup hair products and if you like the product you can buy it the regular size on its website it name brand productsi love it

sadec5
6/26/18

So I had Birchbix before and I liked the samples ( they are tiny and a lot of times repeats). I cancelled when I moved and reinstated when I got settled in. They billed me on the first of June, it is the 26th and I got a message from birchbox saying " There is no way to send me that June box." Their solution was to comp the July box. My problem is that for the first time I wanted everything in that birchbox, but it disappeared and they refuse to replace it. I'm not happy and I did not like how the customer service rep responded. I want my box, not a comp. I waited all month to be jerked around.

carolineh68
5/30/18

Great! I was very happy with the products I received. They were tailored to my tastes and had a big enough amount where I could actually use them for a while. My shipments came on time, and the prices are very reasonable

rutht50
5/4/18

Absolutely corrupt company. You cannot cancel the service and they keep changing your credit card even though you don't want the boxes anymore. No one answers the phone, you send emails which are unanswered. Steer clear or like me, you will be forced to change your credit card number!

jayh130
4/17/18

I have had the subscription with Birchbox for about nine months and each passing month, the boxes arrive later and later. This month, for example, my subscription fee was taken from my account on the 1st, it is now the 17th and my box still has not arrived. I would expect this if I placed an order from China, but a company that is in the US and shipping to a US address should not take three weeks. I just cancelled my subscription and also the Birchbox Man I ordered for my boyfriend. If any BB higher ups are reading this, get your s*^t together!
p.s. I gave two stars because it is fun to get a box of beauty samples every month, I just recommend going somewhere else.

kristas16
4/16/18
• Updated review

I was upset that it took much longer than expected to get the first box. Even longer than it said it would, but my college age daughters LOVED the 3 boxes they each got. I would get them again for them.

“Will it ever come?”
4/16/18
• Previous review

Ordered Birchbox as a gift. Picked the delivery dates and called and was assured their delivery issues were fixed. It's now been 14 days and just got an email that there is a delay. If your getting this for a gift on a specific date... may be best to choose another gift box.

dianes219
3/12/18

I have been consistently disappointed with Birchbox, especially because I believed all of the hype about it being the gold standard of subscription beauty boxes. I have tried several subscriptions, and Birchbox is the worst by far. Inferior, useless products which are often repeated. Worst of all, if you neglect to cancel your auto renewal after the first month, there is no way to cancel it. The only thing they'll do is cancel your auto-renewal, but you're stuck paying for the remaining boxes, which in my case, is NINE MONTHS. There is no reason why they can't end the subscription and refund the remaining monthly payments. In addition, they give "points" to subscribers to be used on Birchbox products. However, if you don't use them, you LOSE them. Such a con job. This whole subscription is not worth the money. Save it and go buy the products you really want.

tiffaniem1
3/1/18

I had a bad experience when placing an order. I tried to place and order three times and each time got a different error message. One saying my cart was empty once I entered ALL of my info and came to the total page?! One telling me the product was not available, and then finally an error telling me the coupon code i was using was not existent (even tho it was working the first 2 times??) Needless to say I was forced to order from another website... as soon as I did I got an email confirmation saying my order was placed on Birchbox???!! WHAT??! I asked them to cancel immediately and they refused to, telling me I would be able to return the item if I wanted to. This is not a problem I should have to be dealing with on my end because of their website errors. NOT happy with my experience.

stephaniel128
2/22/18

I have contacted this company on three occasions regarding issues and it takes over 24 hours for a response. No way to eliminate certain products for allergy or personal reasons. Some samples have barely enough product for one use and no way to reach a live person.

bernicem18
1/22/18

i love birch box great company i being with birchbox nearly 2 years great samples great samples this is like a gift to myself every month

jn93
1/4/18

I'm embarrassed to say that I've been a member for a few years now. Mainly because I signed up for auto-renewal the first year and they have a horrible cancellation policy. Only able to cancel within your renewal month. When you try to navigate and do it yourself online. drop boxes do not fill so that the information can be submitted. I had to request a call from a consultant so that they could do it.

I did receive a call within the requested time frame at 0930 EST and this girl seriously sounded as if she just rolled out of bed. Pitiful. At least do some vocal warm-ups and TRY to get rid of your morning voice before calling people. I assume she's getting paid to call subscribers.
So, I'm stuck receiving the the same trial size waste that I've been getting the past 3 years for another 11 months. So what do I do with it? I save it up for the year and add as stocking stuffer to my tween nieces who are just being introduced to makeup. Half of it is tiny sample perfume and they must have a surplus of dry shampoo they're trying to unload.
Honestly, I enjoyed the first 6-8months... after that it has been a repeat of samples, even after "customizing" several times. If you like little boxes (which are nice when they don't arrive damaged. I use to line/ organize my drawers)... or you like just opening a "surprise" in the mail (only to be disappointed when it's the same thing over and over again) then you should totally sign up.
However, I highly recommend you skip the monthly "surprise" and fleeting enjoyment and PUT $10 IN A BOX ON A TOP SHELF AND DON'T OPEN IT FOR A YEAR!!! You'll be financially better off and much more satisfied. #truth

tomo31
1/2/18

Christmas gift for my daughter & she loves it. 3 mos might be a cute Secret santa. But, if youre the one paying... youre paying for free things (that they probably get free) hoping that you pay full retail for those products on their site.

Theres no hidden fees or problems. So, I cant say its a ripoff. Its just that I would never pay for free samples. If it was maybe $3-4/mos it might be a fun splurge because presumably youll get things youve never seen.

Just not something I think is worth it.

idlkm
12/22/17

I ordered a 3-month gift subscription for secret santa at work. Never received shipping info, gift never came. Now here I am still tracking down the gift a week AFTER the christmas party.

phuongv4
12/14/17

I order a December box and it took them more than 1 week to start shipping it. It arrived at my old address in Illinois, the people here forward it to my new address in Washington state. However, the package came to WA then sent back to IL and now got stuck in IL. No different than order from China, even slower. I wait for a box for a month haha.

jennifers450
12/14/17

I am not sure who the people are that receive a single full size product, or in the cases I see from beauty bloggers, MANY?
Absolutely not worth the price. It was actually offensive to open my box each month and find half the amount of shampoo that I can tear out of a magazine ad.
Oh but then they throw in 4 additional samples of stuff that you don't want. They have also neglected a section to include allergies, so if you're allergic to a fruit or a flower/extract whatever, there is no way to be excluded from that type of product. Fantastic.

nr46
12/8/17

The subscription itself is lackluster. Nowadays there are several others out there that you should consider. My real problem is when you use the shop and dealing with customer service. It takes forever to receive your refund and then they question you about why you had to return something. I used to really enjoy the company, but as of late it's been horrible.

eg315
12/8/17

**Disclaimer** I have no idea about the quality of their service. I ordered a giftbox for my girlfriend for Christmas and we won't be receiving the 1st one for another week yet.

If you put your email address into their website, expect to get endless marketing emails, Every. Single. Day. It's impossible to unsubscribe. Their unsubscribe mechanism on their website doesn't work and they are unresponsive to emails. They are either lack the technical expertise to fix their site or simply don't care to stop spamming me. This represents a lack of respect and professionalism. If you have *any* other options, I'd go with those.

tesss3
12/6/17

I am SO disappointed with the latest box. I see there is a sand&Skye pore facemask and undereye mask. Two areas of interest I clearly noted in my beauty profile(when signing up you can set a beauty profile so they send you things according to your needs/interests). What do I get? Travel size shampoo and shower gel (again!). What a rip off!!! Beauty profile is totally disregarded. I am sick of receiving soap! I wanted to sign up to discover new brands! Don't sign up guys....

caseyl27
11/14/17

The samples are small, almost always broken and nothing I would ever use. ENOUGH with the dry shampoo's and orange lip liners! Waste of money for sure!!

ashleys242
11/13/17

Please dont subscribe to this box. Just dont. I ordered my first box with a promo code to receive 2 extra mascaras. I got an email a week later saying whoops! They messed up and they were all gone, but they would send me a similar product. Fine, okay. Then it took me 3+ weeks to even receive it. In the mean time, I was charged for my second box before I even knew if I liked it. The products are just thrown in a cardboard box, no attempt at presentation whatsoever. My first box had the extra mascaras just thrown in the mailing bag loose. I ended up throwing away most of the samples I received because they were either worthless (a piece of cardboard with a smudge of lipstick, for example) or full of toxic crap; I was under the impression that Birchbox was a higher quality beauty subscription, but I suppose I was wrong. In an attempt to find out what the heck was going on with my boxes, I sent a note to customer service. Its like they didnt even read my note. It was just a generic response that was completely unhelpful and made me even more angry. I wish I would have spent my $20 on literally any other beauty box subscription.

erinm112
10/25/17

Just don't. Save yourself a headache and go with any other similar service.

They recently changed shipping "partners" (eye roll) and I never received a box again. I would report the missing box, they would send a replacement weeks later via another shipping service which means they knew there was a problem with the original shipping service and yet it was never looked into.

I think it's insane that more action wasn't taken. Wouldn't you want to solve this issue and make sure your customers were getting your product!? The customer service emails in response to my missing reports would imply that I must have changed my address and there was nothing they could do--made it seem like they were doing me a favor by reshipping it. Come on.

caitk3
10/14/17

I set my husband up for a subscription and the first box came this month. It was very disappointing. This is basically just a marketing and sales ploy that isnt worth the money. They say they are sending cologn, but all it was, was a 1x1 piece of paper with the scent of a cologn, not even usable. Then the shampoo and conditioner were just one-time-use packets. Their advertising of the products they send is very misleading.

susanb316
10/9/17

I have been subscribing to Birchbox for over a year and I am just done with it. It was fine, fun a getting the box each month but now I do not want to get it anymore. It is absolutely impossible to cancel your subscription. If you call customer service, you get an automated response telling you you must go on the website and " send a note", which I have done, with no response. There are also very difficult to find instructions on how to cancel on the web site, but that also proven unsuccessful for me. So now I'm just mad and would never recommend it to anyone again. If they had just made it easy to cancel I would have encouraged people to try it , as I wasn't really unhappy with it, it had just run its course for me.

cathyl65
9/21/17

This is the second time I have received the box with the best part missing which is the perfume samples. Nothing else in these boxes is ever worth the $10 or it is something no one would ever like.

I've bought a few. I've liked several more enough to buy a full size item but haven't gotten around to it yet because I have enough of a similar product on hand for now.

By Jennifer M.

The issue I've had with them is that their customer service contact information was difficult to locate, so I get it. I had to contact them over Twitter to get it. The email form on the website doesn't do you much good. Try sending an email to info@birchbox.com for a better response. If all else fails, and you can't seem to get them to stop charging you, contact your credit card company, and let them handle it for you.

By Jennifer M.

You get one point per dollar when shopping in the Birchbox shop. Additionally, reviewing the items you received in your Birchbox earns 10 points per review, and sharing your box on social media also yields you 10 points.

By Jennifer M.

I work at a credit union. What I would recommend in this instance is canceling the card and then disputing unwanted charges. There is no way for the institution to cancel the subscription for you. However, as I said, we can issue you a new card number and help you dispute the charges that you did not authorize.

By Helene G.

If you like goofy small, sometimes TINY, samples of weird products then Birchbox is great. Most products get tossed in the same drawer with my HOTEL sized products collected from our travels. Waste of time and money.

By Frank O.

In my opinion the profile does not help. I have received more mascara samples since March than I can handle and a boat load of hair products. It's not for everyone. It's a nice way to try products from companies you've never heard of. But I know people who do the same with the free gift with purchase from department stores or bare minerals or as I do from Sephora. In those 3 instances you have control over what samples you get, if you don't like what they offer, then wait a month and buy your foundation then, chances are you will eventually see an offer from something that you really want to try. I get email offers every week telling me what is new, what won Allure's best beauty award, specials, etc. Try it if you are looking for something new or are open to trying new products you won't see in boutiques, but as some people have stated in reviews, it is very hard to cancel sometimes and they are slow to respond when you don't get your box.

By Trisha P.

Not at all. Has something for all ages.

By Becky D.

I think so...., but you will be disappointed!

By Christine C.

you can easily cancel, but do not even get started. It is not worth it. Get IPSY instead, so much better!!!

By Christine C.

Sadly, I've been looking at the reviews of all the big subscription boxes, hoping to find one that's worth the slightest amount of money. Looking at the reviews, it looks like the boxes usually don't come in!! I hope this is a different situation, but from what I've seen, It's a rip-off. Even though I've seen comments saying they don't come in, I've seen ones that say if you look at the website, there's an email that sometimes works (Even though I've seen comments that say that it doesn't). Maybe you can try a different company, like ipsy (Even though you should probably read the reviews first before having the chance to get scammed). Hope this can help.

By Ellie S.
Questions? Get answers from the Birchbox staff and other customers.

Birchbox?