US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

joycec34

I used to love shopping at Modcloth, the customer service department was so giving and helpful . (in 57 reviews)

flynnet

She misunderstood me and just refunded the whole order to store credit. (in 10 reviews)

melr17

I've now ordered from Modcloth 3 times in the past month and each order has arrived quickly (4-5 business days). (in 107 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

rebeccas113
7/12/16

I often shop for clothing online and get things delivered from American retailers. For some reason every time I order from ModCloth the duties and taxes are very high, like $60 for a $120 order, shipped from US to Canada. I wish they were able to provide a better option, maybe have a Canadian distributor. The extra cost makes it so I will have to forego ordering from them again which is disappointing.

alir35
7/11/16

One thing with mail order companies is they have to be genius at handling returns. Modcloth is the slowest at processing returns you pay shipping on the return (unless exchanging) wait 5-7 business days for it to arrive back to Modcloth and then 4-9 business days to process a refund. Yoy could forget in 16 days. Hopefully you are satisfied with your purchase. I am not willing to gamble again.

tamraw1
7/6/16

Terrible return policy!! They have to receive the shipment within the listed days - not just have verification that it has been shipped out. Will never order from them again!!

jenniferb219
6/2/16

I ordered my first thing from ModCloth last year and am now completely hooked on the website. They've got so much fun and unique clothing and they reviews are extremely helpful for figuring out what size to order. I've bought a wide range of stuff from ModCloth, from shoes to skirts to purses to shirts and even my wedding dress, and there's nothing I didn't love.

I really recommend this site, and have had only good experiences the few times I've needed to exchange things for different sizes or ask questions.

jennifers243
6/2/16

I purchased two dresses last month and found them to be poor in quality - they are very cute and looks good on you but the zippers had issues for both dresses. On 1 dress the zipper wouldn't even move on the first try so I had to return both - first week of May.

I still haven't received the refund for 1 dress. The other dress I got the refund after I called, emailed, complained about the refund processing time. It's really not worth the hassle.

They do have nice customer service people, but their customer service process is very poor as it is taking about 4 weeks to process my refund...just because their returns take about 2 weeks to get to their facility.

I am very disappointed with this store and I hope I get my money back soon.

sarah2658
5/21/16

I genuinely love the clothing design of this company, BUT every single item I've purchased has SHRUNK, either by huge or not so huge amounts (although still noticeably). Even after washing the items on delicate and in cold water, they still shrunk. Which is very maddening since they are not cheap!!! The one tunic I ordered was a flannel type with sleeves that were supposed to button to keep them held up, well one arm was missing the hole for the button!!

sarahh177
5/19/16

I had an order that was mistakenly returned to sender by the USPS. I had 7 conversations with 7 different representatives, who all gave me misinformation. I never once received any communication directly from them and also never received a single piece of the follow up communication that I was promised multiple times after our conversations. A month and a half later, I still made no headway and continued to be misinformed (at best) or misled (at worst) by their workers. I should've asked for a refund from the get-go. Cute clothes, but by NO MEANS worth the headache, if anything goes wrong.

sylviae2
5/12/16

I just received my Sailorette of the Seas Jeans, they are so cute and the fit is perfect. I'm 5'9" 145lbs and bought the size 29, they were long enough.....Yay !!!!!!

jillr42
4/19/16

I've been a ModCloth customer for years. I love their selection, and they have a fair amount of promotions. However, their returns have gotten much, much slowerit takes 3-4 weeks for me to receive my refund once I ship something back, and I don't even receive a confirmation email from them that they've received my shipment. Their CX agents are very friendly, their live chat is great, and their marketing emails are some of the best in the bizhowever, the overpriced, inconsistent-quality clothes and slow shipping and returns makes me think twice about shopping here.

christined46
4/18/16

I absolutely love Modcloth, they have so many unique and adorable products!! You can find anything from retro styled dresses to quirky decor!
The only reason I'm only giving it 4 out of 5 is the shipping took forever and an item or two had some loose threads/stitches, but overall I'm in love!!

sandrad55
4/17/16

Ordered new swimwear and paid almost $35 for expedited shipping to ensure they arrived before I went on holiday. Unfortunately, the useless staff at Modcloth didn't dispatch the item for 3 days, which now means the order will not arrive in time and I've just wasted $200. When I queried why, they could not reasonably explain why it takes 3 days to ship international orders when they can ship US orders the same day. Worst shopping experience ever. I won't be wasting my time and money with them again.

caitlynh3
4/14/16

The one-star reviews baffle me!!
Some of my favorite pieces come from ModCloth. I've been shopping with them regularly for years. As an avid online shopper, I'm also a regular item returner. Although the back and forth shipping with ModCloth can add up, I've always found thier customer service to be **FAR** superior to other online vendors.
I have owned several dresses from ModCloth for many years and I find the quality of the dresses is well aligned with thier prices. They are the same quality you'd exect from a department store - but the designs are unique and beautiful.
Many of my favorite dresses are from ModCloth. I get many compliments on my dresses and I'm always happy to recommend ModCloth.

annab201
4/12/16

I ordered a pair of jeans for 50-ish dollars off this website. Shortly after I started wearing them (I mean one wash and about 3 wears) they started breaking down. They weren't by any means overly tight but the but seam started separating and the elastic started fraying. This was around 3 months after I'd received them so they didn't fall within the window of returns and barely within exchanges. They only gave me a credit back because they'd already received them in the mail, and it was for the cost minus return shipping. It shouldn't matter that they'd been worn, washed, or in my possession for almost 3 months, pants SHOULDN'T BREAK DOWN like that, and any company worth their salt would've done something about it. I reached out to customer service twice and they ignored my complaint. They weren't willing to follow-through on quality control. There are plenty of better places to take your business. If you buy here you could be stuck with a lemon.

joycec34
4/5/16

I used to love shopping at Modcloth, the customer service department was so giving and helpful . I ordered so much from them because of this. Now since they changed their policy, i don't like them anymore. I do order from them every once in a while, but not as often as I did in the past. They used to offer free returns was one of the features that I miss. If i forgot an item in the past on my order, they used to send the item free of charge. These days? no way . so many little things they stopped doing that made a difference.

ac575
4/1/16

I have found some great pieces BUT returns typically take a month to process and the free shipping option can take a solid 2 weeks before you see your items. I've been burned now for items I wanted for Easter and spring break because it's taking so-ooo long.
They have really prompt customer service but what good is it if all they tell you is "yeah it's gonna be awhile". Hire some warehouse/shipping/returns people!

jeny15
4/1/16

Wish I could give 2.5. It's not that they're terrible, because even that would be something. They're just really inconsistent. I ordered 2 items...one looked and fit exactly as I was led to believe from the site; beautiful dress, no complaints whatsoever. The other piece had ratty hems with threads unravelling and hanging off, the color was not the same shade as what was displayed on the site and it was the only red option so it's not like I inadvertently messed up the order. Just not the quality or even the color that I was sold on and the fit wasn't right either.

The same goes with the customer service; one interaction, smooth and friendly. The next time, I got some hateful beast from hell who acted like I was the biggest jerk ever for bothering her.

The clothes are beautiful but I wouldn't order again; I don't feel like the products or service have a consistent standard. Buyer beware.

alisao2
3/29/16

Some clothing have very nice quality, other is made in china and is synthetic. I mostly buy items on sale, since I have to pay international delivery, wich is as illustrated in my photo is not worth 30 plus usd at all. Kudos to Modcloth because they did apologize for how courier treated one of my packages with 10% or 15% discount, however courier FedEx never did. To add to injury courier rigged taxes up so I had to pay additionally to courier and more than I was supposed to. I never had any problems with usps regardless where I shopped.

Tip for consumers: Look for sale, buy 100% cotton or other natural materials. Avoid FedEx for international buyers. Check reviews for sizing, it can be tricky sometimes.

caiyac
3/14/16

ModCloth has such cute pieces, its such a shame I probably will never be shopping with them again. They have a strict return policy (no returns after 30 days) so as soon as I got my item and was unhappy with the fit, I shipped it to be returned. The return label I used took almost a week to get to them. When it was finally delivered to their facility I never received (still haven't) an email saying they were processing my return nor did I get my refund. It's been a week since it was delivered to their facility and I still have yet to receive anything. I contacted customer service trying to get the status of my return but they say it takes an additional 5-7 business days to JUST process. I told the customer service rep that was absolutely ridiculous especially when they have such a strict return policy they expect customers to abide by.In the future, IF I do end up shopping from them again and am unhappy with my purchase I will be better off reselling it on my own. I'm just glad I didn't splurge on the website and am only out about $100.

heidif9
3/13/16

i had a question about a hat size, my email was responded to very quickly. i ordered a sun hat and a dress. both were high quality materials and made very well, packaging was . very unique styles.

kiml72
3/12/16

I have been shopping at ModCloth since 2010 when I ordered a dress for my engagement photo shoot. ModCloth has the sort of clothing that you wear and your friends tell you it is obvious you do not primarily shop at department stores. The quality for the price point is very good in my experience. I still wear that 2010 dress after laundering it (probably improperly on my part) for years and it has held up well.

The household items are very cute and I have ordered them here and there for hostess gifts. They always seem to be a hit as it beats the usual bottle of wine. Additionally, ModCloth has sales where you can get a very nice gift for under $10.

I have found their order fulfillment process to be very speedy. I usually have the item within a matter of days and shipping is not very expensive. Clothing is as-described and have never had to complete a return.

connyv
3/10/16

I recently purchased five dresses from Modcloth in my usual size of XL because the items stated they were "True to Size". Although the items arrived quickly, not a single one fit! I could not get even one of them over my breasts! The same day, I also ordered seven dresses from a different company in my XL size and every single one fit perfectly, no problem. So what's up ModCloth? Your dresses are not made to fit women with breasts? It was a very disappointing experience to say the least.

alexs236
2/29/16

I've been shopping on ModCloth since 2011 and I've always had a good experience. I get a confirmation email with every order minutes after placing it and the tracking details are always accurate, my packages always come when they say they will. Quality of the clothes are also good and the clothes I purchase always look the same in person as they did online.

melr17
2/26/16

I've now ordered from Modcloth 3 times in the past month and each order has arrived quickly (4-5 business days). Just for reference though, I live in New York, so maybe the speed of shipping was very different for the people who complained. The dresses, shoes, and bag I got are exactly as I expected, and I'm really impressed with the quality for the price. Their stuff is adorable and you won't find anything like it anywhere else--believe me, I've looked. I'm going to keep ordering from them for sure.

alisoni1
2/17/16

Before placing my first ModCloth order, I was apprehensive because of the $25 shipping fee. After a comforting conversation with a customer service rep, I decided to go ahead with the order. I now have a slip from Canand Post telling me that there is an additional $40 fee if I want to pick up my item. This is an extremely large extra fee that now makes the dress unaffordable. When I first asked the customer service rep if they shipped to Cananda, they should have let me know about the extra hidden fee. I never would have ordered a $59.99 dress if I knew I'd have to pay $65 in shipping and fees.

julies91
1/23/16

I recently cleaned out my closet, and realized that the pieces I was most likely to keep were many that I bought from Modcloth over the years. The site is great because they have so many pictures of the clothing being modeled by their customers, so it's easier to tell if it's really the garment you love, or just the photo styling.

Secondly, they carry many independent lines, so if you pay attention to the maker of a piece you like, you can often find similar pieces by them again. I found a couple of blazers and dress shapes that I love, and by checking back periodically, I've been able to buy multiples of those over time, in a variety of colors, that work really well for me.

Also, I appreciate that they show separate images of their plus size (or "extended size") garments in the photo selection. We don't have to look at a single image and try to guess how a pattern or design will scale up from the small size depicted: Modcloth will show you directly.

So I look at it as much as a style resource as a clothing shop. It's one of the best sites for functional online clothes shopping, in my opinion. (And though some of their prices are steep, they have a great sale section, and will notify you if something you love goes on sale.)

6 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the ModCloth staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
6/4/16
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
5/12/16
Answer
jenniferb219
A: Since ModCloth has so many different brands and designers on their site, the best thing to do is to look at the reviews on each item and compare your measurements. Some things I've bought fit large and some fit small, so the reviews are really the best way to ensure accurate sizing.
Helpful answer