Review of ModCloth

San Francisco, CA 94107
support@modcloth.com

somerh1
8/14/17

This is a horrible company. When you ask them for measurements for some of their clothing they never respond or don't get back to you till what you are interested in is out of stock. I had high hopes that I would be able to find a cute dress to wear to a birthday party, found a couple and chatted in to get the measurements to make sure that they would fit me before I bought them and the agents that I talked to told me that they would put in a request to get the measurements. It took about 1 week to get the first measurements and then I couldn't get the measurements due to the dress being out of stock. The other 2 that I requested measurements for a week ago I have still not received an answer for. I found a dress that I like at another site and they responded to me right away. They will be getting my money and this company will not.

aestheter
8/11/17

I really can't believe how disappointing Modcloth has been over the past couple of years. I used to buy my dresses almost exclusively from this one website. I loved that they offered merchandise for a vast array of body types including me (I am very petite). I used to be able to buy beautiful fit and flare frocks as well as sexy date-night bodycon dresses. I was hard pressed to shop for just one item at a time. But now, I find it almost impossible to find even one dress worth buying. They've definitely upped the twee element but completely done away with the uniquely sexy charm these clothes used to have. We don't need all the clothes to be so damn cutesy and/or generic. I know my review isn't going to bring back the original merchandising team that allowed me to enjoy so many years of beautiful dressing but I felt like venting my sadness and now I have. I'm sorry you're no good anymore, Modcloth.

bobboc
8/9/17

I used to buy a good portion of my clothes at Modcloth, which is the only reason they got 2 stars. These last few months have been so incredibly disappointing (thanks Walmart). I check almost daily to see the new things they offer, because I used to love them and buy most of my clothes there, but there's been nothing cute and original in months... It's sad and really sucks. I don't know who they turned purchasing over to, but it needs to be fixed.

janicet38
8/9/17

I was actually a long-time Modcloth customer, for well over a decade, when I recently had to mail back a couple of expensive -- but shoddy-quality -- bags from my order. I mailed back my returns (completely unused, tags all on, etc) within a reasonable timeframe (yes, I do have a life), but obviously I have no control over the mail and how fast things are sent internationally.

Some time later I got an email from Modcloth saying they'd received my returns outside of their timeframe, and were not going to refund me anything. So I was essentially forced to not only forfeit the items I'd originally purchased, but also the high cost of return postage (those bags were heavy).

As a long-time, repeat buyer at ModCloth, having literally spent thousands of dollars over the years, I was incredibly disappointed and sad that no compromise or leeway was offered me, nor attempt made to offset my loss. Even a token "How about a measly 10% off voucher for your next purchase" would have been something. But despite my voicing my feelings to them more than once, the lovely Modcloth rep just kept saying "Too bad!" and even "I hope you have a wonderful day!"

Nice. I will NEVER purchase from Modcloth again. Considering the original reason for my returns -- the shoddy quality -- they are really just NOT worth it.

*** UPDATE -- Having read my review, a ModCloth rep assisted in rectifying the situation by providing a refund, and also explaining corporate circumstances at the time which might have affected the quality of their customer service, which was much appreciated. A learning experience all round I think.

celestel9
8/2/17

Bought 2 shirts, both the same size. One was very noticeably much smaller than the other. How can this be?

adrienner11
8/1/17

I found a dress that I absolutely loved on ModCloth. $190. Looked up the actual designer of the dress, 50 British Pounds (~$66). Free shipping from the other store even, arrived in 6 days!

I suggest looking up the designers you find on ModCloth and determine if the "convenience" of this site is worth the difference in price.

andreas400
7/30/17

Wow! Sucks to hear all these bad reviews. I ordered 3 dresses from them in July with the fast track shipping but somehow the order got messed up and ended up in the 7 day and was already shipped off. They ended up sending me a new order since I needed the dresses asap. They arrived just in time and they refunded me the full amount and let me keep the 3 dresses since they messed up. I'm giving them a 4 since the dresses were wonderful, the service was quick and the customer service reps were very helpful and sweet.

jeremyj33
7/27/17

I complained about Metro Manila not being included in the address part of their shipping page. I've called them last 7/24 twice, 7/25 twice, 7/26, and 7/27. 6 times they promised they would fix this. Also, my e-mail sometimes doesn't appear on their end, so the calls aren't smooth. I really like their clothes, however I couldn't get it because other provinces in the Philippines are in their shipping page except for the capital, Metro Manila, where I want it to be shipped. I hope they fix this issue soon.

caitlinm25
7/25/17

I've been shopping since 2011. Over the years I've spent thousands of dollars. I made it a ritual to check the website almost daily (Swoon and Noon and Nine!) because they would always have such delightful, fun, interesting and appealing items every day.

Since the merger especially, but even before that, the quality and experience has definitely gone down hill. I'm not going to complain about something I ordered not fitting me right. That's just what happens when you shop online. Quality of clothing varies and fit can also vary widely. That's not ModCloth's fault.

But the quality of the overall shopping experience as a whole has declined: $70 for dresses that used to cost like $50 (I'm looking at you Coach Tour), daily updates feature like 6 products instead of the dozen or so we used to get, and the updates now are just...so drab and uninspired and depressing and uninteresting. It boggles the mind. ModCloth used to be FRESH! and Unique! And I feel like the clothing they select now is not as cute, interesting, or unique as it once was.

They've also started slowly discontinuing long-time favorites like the Charter School Cardigan, Coach Tour dresses, Soda Shop dresses, etc. They discontinued home items which were so much fun and if they carried bedspreads in larger than Queen I might have actually bought some.

Now it's easier and more exciting for me to just get the names of the brands they order from and go directly to the designer to get stuff whenever I can. I can usually find additional cute and exciting items right from the designer rather than waiting weeks to get excited about anything ModCloth shows up on their New Arrivals.

Customer service remains a positive experience for me. I've had a lot of assistance over the years and everyone has been super.

What used to be my go-to clothing store, where I exclusively bought ALL of my entire wardrobe, is now just a disappointing, sad mainstream store with an uninspired and disjointed product catalog. There are still some really adorable unique gems on the site, but finding them now is fewer and farther between. Less money spent on the ridiculous photoshoots and more money invested in buyers might be a good idea.

ginas73
7/21/17

I purchased a blouse that appeared nice on line. But when received, the material was very cheap and fit horribly. They don't include a return label in the packaging. I was traveling so missed the 30 day return policy, otherwise your money turns into store credit. Terrible policy!! I will never recommend to anyone.

samiac
7/11/17

I used to love modcloth, I shopped there regularly but since the merger it has definitely gone down hill. The prices have shot up and the variety and quality have gone way way down. I am very disappointed

karenk140
7/10/17

Wow, I'm so dissappointed to see so many negative Modcloth reviews. I started shopping with Modcloth in 2013. I have ordered many dresses from them that are great quality. I have only had to return items twice. Each time I had no issues contacting a representative of the company. Their number is listed on their website and an English speaking person helped me. The money I spent was placed back on my debit card in a timely manner as well. i will continue to be a modcloth supporter.

arielw10
5/17/17

Comparing the quality of service and apparel from a few years ago to now is disheartening to say the least. When I first began shopping at modcloth.com in 2011, free shipping started at $50, returns and exchanges were free, and free gifts were occasionally included! I received orders before the expected delivery date. The quality was superb, and I felt that the cost was very reasonable. I rarely had to use customer service, but when I did they were sweet and helpful. I started seeing changes when Matthew Kaness took over the role of CEO. Shipping prices went up, free shipping was changed to $75, and no more free returns unless you settle for store credit. Quality has also gone downhill, and with prices going up I was at my limit. When the "new" app was revealed a few months ago that was it. Useless, unworkable, and infuriating are just a few words that come to mind. My entire order history was erased. Five years worth of purchases, reviews, and wishlists gone. It has been five months and the app still does not impress. I have not ordered since January and will not ever again. With Walmart buying Modcloth out, I only see a dull and dark future for this once great company.

kitk11
5/16/17

I purchased a wallet from modcloth online and paid extra for shipping to receive it prior to an event I was attending.
I paid extra shipping and its been over TWO weeks and I still haven't received it.
So I no longer have a use for it and dont even have it, I had my husband call to request a refund since we arent getting what we paid for and its been sitting in a different state for weeks.
They refuse to issue a refund! Saying we have to send it back. Wtf, we never received it?? Even the tracking number has said its in Washington for OVER 2 weeks. I dont live in washington, so.. They sent us a "return shipping label" To put on a invisible item I guess. They didnt attach it in the email though.
I shopped with them before walmart bought them, they used to rock. Ill never purchase from them again. Buyer beware!!!!

alexandram30
5/16/17

I used to shop every now and again at ModCloth. I would usually buy a few things and really loved the selections.

I heard a few weeks ago about Wal-Mart buying ModCloth, but wasn't sure if it was true or not. But, it is true.

I went back and checked the site and realized the site has better photos, higher prices, and from reading the reviews here.....terrible customer service.

I'm glad I looked into it further before planning to buy anything. The quality has to justify the price, so it's sad to see this new transition.

Hopefully they'll get their act together and they're working on fixing customer service and the quality of products.

alyssac26
5/1/17

I ordered shoes that ended up not fitting. There wasn't a return shipping label in my box, so I had to wait to receive that to mail it out. Then, once I mailed them, they only gave me store credit! I've never heard of any company only giving you store credit just because it's been over 30 days since you received your order. I hate all of their other items so now that is $72 that went to complete waste! So mad!

lucyl62
4/24/17

I bought a cardigan and had to return because of bigger size. I did not receive refund after 3 weeks of return. When I called them, they replied saying there was some problem and they will issue refund immediately. They sent it back after a week saying that it was from different supplier and they can't issue refund. I ordered from modcloth and I have no control over suppliers. I will never shop in modcloth again.

rachelm133
4/9/17

I shopped here years ago, I bought a swim suit that was awful on, sent it back they said they never received it, I was not a seasoned online shopper so I let it go but now I would GO THROUGH CC Co. to get YOUR MONEY BACK!!!!

janeth106
4/6/17

They play a lot of games when you are just trying to get a return shipping label, ie. emails without the label you requested attached. Your account will say problem resolved. Live chat with someone who has posted a picture that looks like a selfie taken in her bedroom and you get garbage like: "I have to get approval from my manager..I'll send it manually" You can't generate a returning shipping label without manager approval for an item I received less than a week ago?????? We can chat online but you have to send a shipping label manually????? What does that even mean?
And yes believe the other negative reviews. The sizing is off and the stuff is incredibly, offensively cheap!

jennab24
4/2/17

Spoke to Jamie today on the phone regarding a swim suit return - had moved over the holidays and it got stuck in my "summer" box that I just opened today- of course it's too small and she won't allow me to mail it back brand new EVEN for a store credit- DO NOT SHOP HERE. There are MANY other retailers who are understating that life gets in the way and that a 30 day return policy is there for a reason- but PLEASE policy can be modified to keep your customers loyal - will NOT be returning business here.

georgad1
3/28/17

I was gifted a voucher for Modcloth and on attempting to use this at the online checkout, the code on the voucher is invalid. I have so far emailed Modcloth twice regarding my concerns, with only their automated email as a response. I am an international customer, therefore email is the primary method of contact to Modcloth. I am extremely disappointed with Modcloth's customer service and having been a previous paying customer, I am unlikely to purchase from Modcloth again or recommend to friends and family.

allieleej
3/10/17

I purchased a rather small, but still pricey order through Modcloth not long ago. I had seen enough ads on social media that I decided it was time to buy all of the things I had been 'wishlisting'. The discounts made a significant change to my order, and I thought this would be awesome. Package arrives, and it's not so awesome. Not. a. single. thing. was what I had ordered. I had no invoice, the total number of items didn't match, my name/shipment information on the package was correct, but that was it. I immediately contacted 'customer care', and was told an investigation would be started. A week or so went by and I had not heard anything, so I called in again. I was told the investigation was 'still under way', and I would hear back soon. I was beginning to get suspicious, because wouldn't the company want the incorrect items back? Anyway, not an hour later I received an email stating that the investigation was complete and for whatever reason they were 'severing ties with me as a customer'. I was beyond appalled. I responded to the email and called back. I finally got an email back from a lead supervisor who said that there were multiple accounts in my name or something of the sort, and similar stories had been told in regard to packages being incorrect. I assured her they were not mine; offered to prove my identity, but no takers. The supervisor basically said 'that's that; goodbye forever'. Well I wasn't going to take it, because I was out over $200 and had a box of clothes that I didn't purchase, want or fit into. After days became weeks, I finally got the supervisor to agree to refund me for the order if I sent the box back, WHICH WAS ALL I HAD WANTED TO DO. I couldn't care less about being a customer with them in the future; I just wanted my money back..So I shipped the box back, just as it had arrived. Several days passed after the tracking number had shown it had been delivered. So I called in again. Got the round around from the employees on the customer care line, but sure enough got an email the next day or so from the same lead supervisor. She stated that 'all of the items I had returned were in their inventory, and had already been refunded from previous orders where the same issue had been reported.' I kid you not. So now they still hadn't refunded me, had all of the clothes, and were stated they would not refund me...because technically I had already been refunded? I couldn't really wrap my head around the logic, and continued to fight it. I even went to the BBB to file a dispute. After several more days they one item had not been refunded and I could 1. pay to have them ship it back to me, or 2. refund the original card that purchased it (which was not mine). I stated 1. I'm not giving you another cent of my money, 2. that's not my card, so you can refund it but you'll still owe *me*. The LEAD SUPERVISOR then proceeded to reply with that customer's information, to include: order number, partial card number, and email address. I immediately wrote her back that her disclosing another customer's information seemed in bad judgement. I also respectfully wrote to that email to inform them that their information had been given out freely.
Needless to say, to this day I have not received my refund.

amandaa93
3/1/17

When did modcloth go completely crazy on their prices?!?! They have become completely unaffordable. There used to be so many affordable prices. Now almost every dress I look at is over $100

margaretq16
2/12/17

I'd like to start off saying I was a long time modcloth shopper! I started shopping there around 2008 and I made some very memorable purchases with them graduation dresses, to my wedding dress. I shopped at modcloth 3-4 times a year, usually for a piece for an event. This year I placed an order for a red dress and was severely disappointed with the quality of the garmet for 60.00 it felt more or less like a Fast fashion dress. It came wrinkled! I was surprised how different it apparead from the photo.
I had an order for a jacket not too long before the dress and again the item was around 70.00 and looked really cheap. The prices seem to rise and the quality does not.
I don't think I'll be ordering again, and if I do it will be at a way discounted price on eBay!

angiee13
2/5/17

First off, I love, love, love the clothes. They are quirky, unique, and really fun. My problem is with customer service. I exchanged an item for a different size. Later, when it became obvious that the item was not available in that size I reached out trying to get the exchange funds converted to store credit (they give you an extra $5 for store credit instead of a refund). I emailed them twice telling them to please convert the exchange, both times I got canned responses. It was obvious that the customer service rep didnt even read my questions. ha! This is the first time I have run into any problems with them. If another time should happen I will stop shopping here.

Helpful answer

The quality is about 80% rubbish (based on 10 purchases and only keeping 2 items). Hardly any of the dresses are lined and they're made with very cheap fabric, they're also way more expensive than they used to be but the quality hasn't improved. The stitching is usually uneven and the cloth cuts are terrible. You have to pay to return things, and from Australia it often costs more in postage to return something than the item itself, so I wouldn't bother.

By Erin C. on 4/5/15
Helpful answer

Honestly, based on my bad experience with modcloth I vote no. Theit clothes and accessories are overpriced. I have ordered a lot of stuff from modcloth over the years and the material their products and some of their clothes are being made of cheap low quality material. I had to learn the hard way modcloth is kinda of a middle man. They purchase certain types of items/accessories and clothes from smaller mom and pop companies, and from overseas (China). Then, they jack up the price and sell it for way more than what it's worth and what they bought it for. Some of their clothes I discovered on other websites for less. Others are actually from real well known companies in Europe.

By BuySavvy B. on 12/19/15
Helpful answer

Great quality. I always read what fabric an item is so that I know what I'm getting. Been a modcloth customer for five years. Only once have I gotten a dress of poor quality. A black and white polka sorted dress labeled machine wash bled during washing.

By Karen K. on 4/4/17
Helpful answer

Be sure to refer to the sizing chart for your size. Also keep in mind that some items are in European or Asian sizes. Be sure to read the full desription of the item to know if you need to size up or down.

By Karen K. on 3/24/17

Stop staring.

By Karen K. on 9/8/16
Helpful answer

Since ModCloth has so many different brands and designers on their site, the best thing to do is to look at the reviews on each item and compare your measurements. Some things I've bought fit large and some fit small, so the reviews are really the best way to ensure accurate sizing.

By Jennifer B. on 5/12/16

Helpful answer

Questions? Get answers from the ModCloth staff and other customers.

ModCloth?