Review of ModCloth

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

lucyl62
4/24/17

I bought a cardigan and had to return because of bigger size. I did not receive refund after 3 weeks of return. When I called them, they replied saying there was some problem and they will issue refund immediately. They sent it back after a week saying that it was from different supplier and they can't issue refund. I ordered from modcloth and I have no control over suppliers. I will never shop in modcloth again.

rachelm133
4/9/17

I shopped here years ago, I bought a swim suit that was awful on, sent it back they said they never received it, I was not a seasoned online shopper so I let it go but now I would GO THROUGH CC Co. to get YOUR MONEY BACK!!!!

janeth106
4/6/17

They play a lot of games when you are just trying to get a return shipping label, ie. emails without the label you requested attached. Your account will say problem resolved. Live chat with someone who has posted a picture that looks like a selfie taken in her bedroom and you get garbage like: "I have to get approval from my manager..I'll send it manually" You can't generate a returning shipping label without manager approval for an item I received less than a week ago?????? We can chat online but you have to send a shipping label manually????? What does that even mean?
And yes believe the other negative reviews. The sizing is off and the stuff is incredibly, offensively cheap!

jennab24
4/2/17

Spoke to Jamie today on the phone regarding a swim suit return - had moved over the holidays and it got stuck in my "summer" box that I just opened today- of course it's too small and she won't allow me to mail it back brand new EVEN for a store credit- DO NOT SHOP HERE. There are MANY other retailers who are understating that life gets in the way and that a 30 day return policy is there for a reason- but PLEASE policy can be modified to keep your customers loyal - will NOT be returning business here.

georgad1
3/28/17

I was gifted a voucher for Modcloth and on attempting to use this at the online checkout, the code on the voucher is invalid. I have so far emailed Modcloth twice regarding my concerns, with only their automated email as a response. I am an international customer, therefore email is the primary method of contact to Modcloth. I am extremely disappointed with Modcloth's customer service and having been a previous paying customer, I am unlikely to purchase from Modcloth again or recommend to friends and family.

allieleej
3/10/17

I purchased a rather small, but still pricey order through Modcloth not long ago. I had seen enough ads on social media that I decided it was time to buy all of the things I had been 'wishlisting'. The discounts made a significant change to my order, and I thought this would be awesome. Package arrives, and it's not so awesome. Not. a. single. thing. was what I had ordered. I had no invoice, the total number of items didn't match, my name/shipment information on the package was correct, but that was it. I immediately contacted 'customer care', and was told an investigation would be started. A week or so went by and I had not heard anything, so I called in again. I was told the investigation was 'still under way', and I would hear back soon. I was beginning to get suspicious, because wouldn't the company want the incorrect items back? Anyway, not an hour later I received an email stating that the investigation was complete and for whatever reason they were 'severing ties with me as a customer'. I was beyond appalled. I responded to the email and called back. I finally got an email back from a lead supervisor who said that there were multiple accounts in my name or something of the sort, and similar stories had been told in regard to packages being incorrect. I assured her they were not mine; offered to prove my identity, but no takers. The supervisor basically said 'that's that; goodbye forever'. Well I wasn't going to take it, because I was out over $200 and had a box of clothes that I didn't purchase, want or fit into. After days became weeks, I finally got the supervisor to agree to refund me for the order if I sent the box back, WHICH WAS ALL I HAD WANTED TO DO. I couldn't care less about being a customer with them in the future; I just wanted my money back..So I shipped the box back, just as it had arrived. Several days passed after the tracking number had shown it had been delivered. So I called in again. Got the round around from the employees on the customer care line, but sure enough got an email the next day or so from the same lead supervisor. She stated that 'all of the items I had returned were in their inventory, and had already been refunded from previous orders where the same issue had been reported.' I kid you not. So now they still hadn't refunded me, had all of the clothes, and were stated they would not refund me...because technically I had already been refunded? I couldn't really wrap my head around the logic, and continued to fight it. I even went to the BBB to file a dispute. After several more days they one item had not been refunded and I could 1. pay to have them ship it back to me, or 2. refund the original card that purchased it (which was not mine). I stated 1. I'm not giving you another cent of my money, 2. that's not my card, so you can refund it but you'll still owe *me*. The LEAD SUPERVISOR then proceeded to reply with that customer's information, to include: order number, partial card number, and email address. I immediately wrote her back that her disclosing another customer's information seemed in bad judgement. I also respectfully wrote to that email to inform them that their information had been given out freely.
Needless to say, to this day I have not received my refund.

amandaa93
3/1/17

When did modcloth go completely crazy on their prices?!?! They have become completely unaffordable. There used to be so many affordable prices. Now almost every dress I look at is over $100

margaretq16
2/12/17

I'd like to start off saying I was a long time modcloth shopper! I started shopping there around 2008 and I made some very memorable purchases with them graduation dresses, to my wedding dress. I shopped at modcloth 3-4 times a year, usually for a piece for an event. This year I placed an order for a red dress and was severely disappointed with the quality of the garmet for 60.00 it felt more or less like a Fast fashion dress. It came wrinkled! I was surprised how different it apparead from the photo.
I had an order for a jacket not too long before the dress and again the item was around 70.00 and looked really cheap. The prices seem to rise and the quality does not.
I don't think I'll be ordering again, and if I do it will be at a way discounted price on eBay!

angiee13
2/5/17

First off, I love, love, love the clothes. They are quirky, unique, and really fun. My problem is with customer service. I exchanged an item for a different size. Later, when it became obvious that the item was not available in that size I reached out trying to get the exchange funds converted to store credit (they give you an extra $5 for store credit instead of a refund). I emailed them twice telling them to please convert the exchange, both times I got canned responses. It was obvious that the customer service rep didnt even read my questions. ha! This is the first time I have run into any problems with them. If another time should happen I will stop shopping here.

kelseyd10
1/12/17

TERRIBLE customer service. Literally, the WORST. They do not represent customer service in any capacity. Despite the appearance that someone is there to "chat" with, they don't listen or try to work with you at all. The "employee's" only recite protocols, never actually listening to their "customer's" needs... just reitering polical rhetoric and protocol the PC has idly spit out. Confidently, I say that Modcloth is the WORST online apparel site. Modcloth is the opposite of integrity, representing a fake and superficial business that cares nothing for their customers , the opposite of integrity. Modcloth opperates detached from the foundations of any respectable business, which I will never purchase from again.

stephaniee34
1/8/17

They won't accept Visa gift cards and their customer service reps are extremely rude and unhelpful. They kept telling me that the fact that the card was a gift was irrelevant and the problem was easy to solve by purchasing THEIR gift card. Either these reps are complete idiots who don't know how to do their job or extremely rude people who just don't care.

willows2
1/7/17

I tried to buy two pairs of shoes, and my card wouldn't work, so I called the company and they told me that were trying to make me pay monthly. So I called Modcloth back and they said they couldn't do anything about it. So they were going to charge me every month, for items I already paid for.

karlav4
1/5/17

I have a second issue in which I had to get paypal involved. I'm pulling up the details so I can forward to you. 05:46:38 pm

Tyler E. 05:47:50 pm

Okay!

Karla 05:49:02 pm

Sorry, I'm still trying to pull it up

Tyler E. 05:49:22 pm

Can you describe the issue, or perhaps provide the order number it pertains to?

Karla 05:52:06 pm

Sure
Basically two orders that I placed were sent to my old address even though I entered the address via the app and paypal had my correct/current information. I called your customer service and was offered no support at all. 2 months later, almost, the packages are rerouted and I had to pay a total of $20.03( 18140447) one package and $13.81(18184599)for the other. Then I returned the one because it arrived so late(it was a gift) and now will be deducted the 5.99( 18140447) I don't think is right. 05:56:08 pm
I filed a dispute via paypal and someone from your customer service team directed me to the chat via the modcloth site saying that someone would help me.

Tyler E. 05:57:35 pm

I do see you've filed a dispute with us for the orders, however, I do not see any record of you reaching out to us here at customer care. Sadly, we do not use addresses from paypal, so if your shipping address is incorrect on Modcloth.com, it will ship to the address we have at the time of checkout.

Karla 05:58:09 pm

Because I called. Do you keep track of calls?

Tyler E. 05:59:47 pm

We do, yes.

Karla 06:00:43 pm

ok, my number is ....
I called in November

Tyler E. 06:01:24 pm

Sadly, having an order shipped to an old address isn't something to dispute a payment over. Since you have agreed to the payment with us shipping to the address provided on ModCloth, which is what we have done. I can see what we can do, however, we cannot be held responsible for things like this if we sent it to the address you checked out with.
One moment while I see what we can do. 06:02:36 pm

Karla 06:02:37 pm

It obviously is because one of your reps directed me back to the chat.

Tyler E. 06:03:09 pm

I understand you've been told we could help. We totally can help, but please realize that if you enter an incorrect address with us, that is not a mistake on our end.
What is the correct address you wanted these orders to ship to?

Karla 06:03:58 pm

AND, I called to have the package redirected and was offered no assistance(you all can call the carrier, chose not to.) and then suggested to "uninstall the app" if it was experiencing issue. A few days later you all had an update to the app indicated "bug fixes".
1533 W ... 06:04:07 pm
I entered the correct address
checked out with paypal and reverted back to the old address

Tyler E. 06:05:11 pm

That is not the address you've checked out with, I'm sorry for any confusion. I'd be happy to pass this information along to our shipping investigation team and they will reach out to you within a few business days.

Karla 06:06:12 pm

You can check and see how much I've purchased from you all throughout the years and never had an issue.

Tyler E. 06:06:21 pm

Yes, I can see that.

Karla 06:06:35 pm

Direct me to your IT team not shipping. Whats the point?

Tyler E. 06:07:15 pm

I'm directing your orders to the team that can help you out with these orders. Our IT team will not be able to help you.

lolaw2
1/4/17

I placed a large order with ModCloth, only to find that virtually nothing fit or was as described on their website. I got a partial refund and a credit. The credit hung on my account for several years - they steadfastly refused to convert it to a refund - until finally I found something that seemed like at least a distant bet to buy. Their customer service is abysmal and the quality of all but two of the 20 items I received was way below par. Avoid ModCloth at risk of losing your cash and your sanity!

jaredh13
1/4/17

I recently paid $5.99 to ship a necklace and a shirt. I had to pay $5.99 to return the necklace. I paid $29.99 for a necklace that was equivalent to a Disney store trinket. I tried to contact customer service, and although polite he offered no help or support. I love the style of mod cloth, but I will spend my money elsewhere. They do not care to have my business as I have communicated that I will not be a customer any longer, and no attempt to make amends was made.

kl494
12/28/16

I ordered something online from them for Christmas. I ordered it on December 18th and paid $7.99 for shipping and handling. It was supposed to be here in 2-5 days!!! It is now December 28th (10 DAYS!!!) and I still don't have what I ordered. I tried to contact customer service but I can't reach anyone so I have to wait for a response to an email. It's well past Christmas and I have no idea when my order will arrive.

alexandral12
12/26/16

Mediocre quality items and mediocre price point with a HORRIBLE and UNCLEAR return policy (especially on shoes). Never again will I order through here and if you care about quality from a company who stands behind their products, then keep looking.

Tip for consumers: Return shoes in their original box. DO NOT tape anything on the original shoe box and then place this box inside another box or wrap in brown paper in order to return. This is NOT clear on their return policy and you will not be given credit for your return NOR will they inform you it was not accepted or for what reason until you follow up with them. They charge a $5 return fee unless returned for store credit then they add a $5 credit. WHY they would do this? Cuz everyone wants their money back

johnnym61
12/21/16

Ordered the item a week before Christmas. I didn't expect for the item to get here before Christmas due to shipping delays on the shipping company (Fedex in this case). The problem falls even before that when it takes longer than 5 business days for ModCloth to even send the item.

Definitely won't be shopping here again.

sashaf13
11/12/16

The pictures of the products are great however, when I ordered my 3 pairs or shoes from them I was extremely disappointed. One of the pairs was on final sale but the quality was so bad (felt like walking on cardboard) that I got them to give me store credit. With that store credit I bought a different pair of shoes that I thought would be better because they looked like cool wooden heals with denim straps but the wood was just paint and the shoes felt hollow. Everything about them just felt wrong.

ivyg11
11/8/16

I've been buying from ModCloth for about 4+ years now. I don't buy from there very often (it can be pricey) but over the years I've accumulated a fair amount of items from their shop and I've been consistently pleased every time.

I'm plus-sized and it's difficult to find shops that sell such a variety of style types, fun patterns, and flattering cuts.

I will say, though, if you're the type to buy without reading the review, it is always worth it to give a good read. Despite a vast majority of their clothes being top notch, there are always going to be some sub-par ones.
Though, their return policy is great, so if you choose to buy first ask questions later, they've got your back!

megganm
11/3/16

I am very pleased the the items I ordered. They are of very high quality and when I called with questions, the CS bent over backward to help me. I highly recommend this site.

kendrae6
10/15/16

I have to say I do love ordering from ModCloth. They have tons of cute things. Since the sizing is inconsistent, I frequently order two sizes and send one back. I think they should offer a break on the return shipping for this reason. My main gripe though is that once in a blue moon they send me a coupon (despite spending easily over $100 a month). When my order went through, the discount didn't apply to the total. When I noticed while looking at my statement, they would not apply the discount, nor did they offer me another discount, saying, too bad it's expired. LAME. That is totally LAME customer service. Treat your customers well, especially long time, return customers who like to shop. If you don't, you lose them.

beccaj3
10/7/16

I haven't had any issues with returns or customer service, as many of these complaints have been.
Mostly, my issue has come from the clothing or accessories. I'm plus-sized, so the places I can shop for items that are cute or on trend can be difficult. I feel that ModCloth has Lane Bryant and Torrid prices with three year old, cotton/polyester blend, dumpster erosion quality. I've had shirts come apart after one washing, skirts not fit despite what the size chart says the size is, or items that are simply not flattering. The size chart is joke! Since ModCloth gets items from tons of different vendors, and the sizing isn't customized to the vendor's sizing, it's impossible to know what you're getting. Also the majority of the time, the brands aren't listed in the description, so you can't investigate more about it to see if that's an item that could work for you. You know, since ModCloth isn't doing that footwork for you, you'd think they'd make it possible for you to do it. I bought earrings for $14.99, and they came unglued after a few days. So, there seems to be very little quality control, just pretty pictures and clever names attached to items you wouldn't have even given a second glance to if you'd seen them in person. However, it's online, so you take chances and trust pictures. The majority of the ModCloth merchandise proves itself to be inferior. To give ModCloth its due, I have had some successes. And I continued to buy from the brands that worked, but it shouldn't be a situation where only about 25% of the time the clothes or accessories you get are good. And I mean only good, not exceptional, and, generally, not worth the price. With ModCloth, you're paying for wonderful pictures and clever names; you're buying the fantasy. Because after several purchases, it's become evident the quality of the products DOES NOT live up to how they are advertised.

sarahw152
10/6/16

We ordered a party dress on sale for a special event using the measurement recommendations on the website. We were excited and I didn't mind paying extra shipping to get the dress early. Unfortunately, when it came it was too large. I called to see if we could exchange it and NO, we could not even do that because it was a 'final sale'....returns I understand, but exchanges? Really?

inezk
9/29/16

Mod Cloth steals your money! Be careful, they WILL NOT refund you your money. Mod Cloth does not disclose the fact that will not refund you the money. The clothes are cheap, don't fit and expensive - it's mostly polyester cloth - for the price you would think it could atleast be cotton - but that's besides the fact. It's been over a year and I still can't find something I want to order but they will not refund my money!! Nor do you tell you that you WILL NOT get a refund. Why don't they disclose that?

12 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the ModCloth staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question