Review of ModCloth

San Francisco, CA 94107
support@modcloth.com

juliew155
10/18/17

My shipping was free as per a promotion. They added over $100 in shipping costs to my customs value and I was charged over $100 in customs fees as a result. Their customer care said this was unfortunate but didn't do anything to rectify the situation. Would never shop there again.

catherineh88
10/10/17

Really good clothes. Love the quality. i recently bought a red one piece bathing suit that fits perfectly. It took a bit more time than expected to receive. Still really happy!

jennm31
10/4/17

For a company that prides themselves on body positivity almost none of the clothing I purchased fit. They also do not do international exchanges. I feel really disappointed that I spent all this money, waited almost a full month, paid $137 custom fee on top of the over $300 I spent on clothing. I will not be buying from this website again. This is unfortunate because I really loved the look of the clothing. My suggestion is only order from here if you're ordering from the states.

deboraha13
9/15/17

I've ordered from ModCloth three times, and have nothing bad to say. The prices are quite reasonable, and discounts are incredible. By and large, the clothing has been excellent quality, and the one time it wasn't, Customer Service made it right. I was able to get Stop Staring's Pine All Mine Dress which retails for $189 for $107. It fits me like it was made for me - even though I was surprised I needed a Medium, as I usually wear a 4 or 6. My first order also included a pair of shoes on which the sole peeled off after one wearing. I called Customer Service who immediately processed a full refund and sent me a prepaid return label. I placed my most recent order because I had a mailed coupon for 30% off, which was great, but when I went to checkout, the Honey discount app said there was a 40% discount code. So I saved serious money. I got two dresses, a cardigan and a pair of pants for $182! The pants were wide leg trousers, and, based on other reviews, I ordered a Medium, although I normally need a size 12 for my hips.They did fit in the waist, but the pleats were splitting and the pockets were pulling too much, so I decided to return them. I opted for the store credit plus $5 offer and requested an exchange. Unfortunately, they didn't have a Large in stock, but they said to go ahead and request it, and if it comes back in stock, they will send it. It was also suggested to check the "Still Need It" button on the item page, because if there's enough demand, ModCloth will restock an item. Well, 5 days after I returned the pants, I got an email saying they were back in stock in size Large. I called Customer Service to find out whether my return was being processed as a return or whether they were automatically sending out the Large as an exchange. I spoke to Lily, who suggested I do a "quick exchange" in order to ensure I got the size I needed. Even though the pants were no longer on sale, and selling for the retail price of $74.99, Lily gave me the 40% off price of $44.99, and Free Shipping, too! I have to say, I am surprised that the company is owned by WalMart, as I would never shop there. My usual stores are J. Peterman and Anthropologie. If ModCloth continues in this vein, I will definitely continue shopping here.

sarahf133
9/10/17

Since the moment I heard that Walmart was buying Modcloth, I became extremely hesitant to buy anything from them. I gave in on Monday 9/4 when they were having a decent sale and had a pair of jeans that I really wanted. It has been nearly a week (it's 9/10) and they still haven't processed my order. Before they were Walmart, my items would have been shipped by now and nearly home. I contacted customer support yesterday and she did nothing to rectify the situation, nor could she give me an estimate as to when my order would be shipped- let alone processed! Apparently if you choose to do the free shipping that they offer, they can just slowly process the orders and send whenever they want. If I didn't want these pants so badly, I would just cancel my order at this point. Absolutely ridiculous.

shaunas10
9/8/17

Ordered my clothing on Monday, still has not shipped on Friday. COntacted customer support and was told it "should ship by Tuesday". Meaning 8 days after being ordered.... Unfortunately I ordered these cloths for vacation and they will not be here on time. Thankful for the free return, whole order will be going back.

taylorj29
9/5/17

I was so extremely disappointed with my order. My sweater had a hole in it and I went to hang a collared shirt and the button popped off. I should have listened to similar reviews about the clothing being cheap and not worth the money. Never will buy from this site again.

somerh1
8/14/17

This is a horrible company. When you ask them for measurements for some of their clothing they never respond or don't get back to you till what you are interested in is out of stock. I had high hopes that I would be able to find a cute dress to wear to a birthday party, found a couple and chatted in to get the measurements to make sure that they would fit me before I bought them and the agents that I talked to told me that they would put in a request to get the measurements. It took about 1 week to get the first measurements and then I couldn't get the measurements due to the dress being out of stock. The other 2 that I requested measurements for a week ago I have still not received an answer for. I found a dress that I like at another site and they responded to me right away. They will be getting my money and this company will not.

aestheter
8/11/17

I really can't believe how disappointing Modcloth has been over the past couple of years. I used to buy my dresses almost exclusively from this one website. I loved that they offered merchandise for a vast array of body types including me (I am very petite). I used to be able to buy beautiful fit and flare frocks as well as sexy date-night bodycon dresses. I was hard pressed to shop for just one item at a time. But now, I find it almost impossible to find even one dress worth buying. They've definitely upped the twee element but completely done away with the uniquely sexy charm these clothes used to have. We don't need all the clothes to be so damn cutesy and/or generic. I know my review isn't going to bring back the original merchandising team that allowed me to enjoy so many years of beautiful dressing but I felt like venting my sadness and now I have. I'm sorry you're no good anymore, Modcloth.

bobboc
8/9/17

I used to buy a good portion of my clothes at Modcloth, which is the only reason they got 2 stars. These last few months have been so incredibly disappointing (thanks Walmart). I check almost daily to see the new things they offer, because I used to love them and buy most of my clothes there, but there's been nothing cute and original in months... It's sad and really sucks. I don't know who they turned purchasing over to, but it needs to be fixed.

janicet38
8/9/17

I was actually a long-time Modcloth customer, for well over a decade, when I recently had to mail back a couple of expensive -- but shoddy-quality -- bags from my order. I mailed back my returns (completely unused, tags all on, etc) within a reasonable timeframe (yes, I do have a life), but obviously I have no control over the mail and how fast things are sent internationally.

Some time later I got an email from Modcloth saying they'd received my returns outside of their timeframe, and were not going to refund me anything. So I was essentially forced to not only forfeit the items I'd originally purchased, but also the high cost of return postage (those bags were heavy).

As a long-time, repeat buyer at ModCloth, having literally spent thousands of dollars over the years, I was incredibly disappointed and sad that no compromise or leeway was offered me, nor attempt made to offset my loss. Even a token "How about a measly 10% off voucher for your next purchase" would have been something. But despite my voicing my feelings to them more than once, the lovely Modcloth rep just kept saying "Too bad!" and even "I hope you have a wonderful day!"

Nice. I will NEVER purchase from Modcloth again. Considering the original reason for my returns -- the shoddy quality -- they are really just NOT worth it.

*** UPDATE -- Having read my review, a ModCloth rep assisted in rectifying the situation by providing a refund, and also explaining corporate circumstances at the time which might have affected the quality of their customer service, which was much appreciated. A learning experience all round I think.

celestel9
8/2/17

Bought 2 shirts, both the same size. One was very noticeably much smaller than the other. How can this be?

adrienner11
8/1/17

I found a dress that I absolutely loved on ModCloth. $190. Looked up the actual designer of the dress, 50 British Pounds (~$66). Free shipping from the other store even, arrived in 6 days!

I suggest looking up the designers you find on ModCloth and determine if the "convenience" of this site is worth the difference in price.

andreas400
7/30/17

Wow! Sucks to hear all these bad reviews. I ordered 3 dresses from them in July with the fast track shipping but somehow the order got messed up and ended up in the 7 day and was already shipped off. They ended up sending me a new order since I needed the dresses asap. They arrived just in time and they refunded me the full amount and let me keep the 3 dresses since they messed up. I'm giving them a 4 since the dresses were wonderful, the service was quick and the customer service reps were very helpful and sweet.

jeremyj33
7/27/17

I complained about Metro Manila not being included in the address part of their shipping page. I've called them last 7/24 twice, 7/25 twice, 7/26, and 7/27. 6 times they promised they would fix this. Also, my e-mail sometimes doesn't appear on their end, so the calls aren't smooth. I really like their clothes, however I couldn't get it because other provinces in the Philippines are in their shipping page except for the capital, Metro Manila, where I want it to be shipped. I hope they fix this issue soon.

caitlinm25
7/25/17

I've been shopping since 2011. Over the years I've spent thousands of dollars. I made it a ritual to check the website almost daily (Swoon and Noon and Nine!) because they would always have such delightful, fun, interesting and appealing items every day.

Since the merger especially, but even before that, the quality and experience has definitely gone down hill. I'm not going to complain about something I ordered not fitting me right. That's just what happens when you shop online. Quality of clothing varies and fit can also vary widely. That's not ModCloth's fault.

But the quality of the overall shopping experience as a whole has declined: $70 for dresses that used to cost like $50 (I'm looking at you Coach Tour), daily updates feature like 6 products instead of the dozen or so we used to get, and the updates now are just...so drab and uninspired and depressing and uninteresting. It boggles the mind. ModCloth used to be FRESH! and Unique! And I feel like the clothing they select now is not as cute, interesting, or unique as it once was.

They've also started slowly discontinuing long-time favorites like the Charter School Cardigan, Coach Tour dresses, Soda Shop dresses, etc. They discontinued home items which were so much fun and if they carried bedspreads in larger than Queen I might have actually bought some.

Now it's easier and more exciting for me to just get the names of the brands they order from and go directly to the designer to get stuff whenever I can. I can usually find additional cute and exciting items right from the designer rather than waiting weeks to get excited about anything ModCloth shows up on their New Arrivals.

Customer service remains a positive experience for me. I've had a lot of assistance over the years and everyone has been super.

What used to be my go-to clothing store, where I exclusively bought ALL of my entire wardrobe, is now just a disappointing, sad mainstream store with an uninspired and disjointed product catalog. There are still some really adorable unique gems on the site, but finding them now is fewer and farther between. Less money spent on the ridiculous photoshoots and more money invested in buyers might be a good idea.

ginas73
7/21/17

I purchased a blouse that appeared nice on line. But when received, the material was very cheap and fit horribly. They don't include a return label in the packaging. I was traveling so missed the 30 day return policy, otherwise your money turns into store credit. Terrible policy!! I will never recommend to anyone.

samiac
7/11/17

I used to love modcloth, I shopped there regularly but since the merger it has definitely gone down hill. The prices have shot up and the variety and quality have gone way way down. I am very disappointed

karenk140
7/10/17

Wow, I'm so dissappointed to see so many negative Modcloth reviews. I started shopping with Modcloth in 2013. I have ordered many dresses from them that are great quality. I have only had to return items twice. Each time I had no issues contacting a representative of the company. Their number is listed on their website and an English speaking person helped me. The money I spent was placed back on my debit card in a timely manner as well. i will continue to be a modcloth supporter.

arielw10
5/17/17

Comparing the quality of service and apparel from a few years ago to now is disheartening to say the least. When I first began shopping at modcloth.com in 2011, free shipping started at $50, returns and exchanges were free, and free gifts were occasionally included! I received orders before the expected delivery date. The quality was superb, and I felt that the cost was very reasonable. I rarely had to use customer service, but when I did they were sweet and helpful. I started seeing changes when Matthew Kaness took over the role of CEO. Shipping prices went up, free shipping was changed to $75, and no more free returns unless you settle for store credit. Quality has also gone downhill, and with prices going up I was at my limit. When the "new" app was revealed a few months ago that was it. Useless, unworkable, and infuriating are just a few words that come to mind. My entire order history was erased. Five years worth of purchases, reviews, and wishlists gone. It has been five months and the app still does not impress. I have not ordered since January and will not ever again. With Walmart buying Modcloth out, I only see a dull and dark future for this once great company.

kitk11
5/16/17

I purchased a wallet from modcloth online and paid extra for shipping to receive it prior to an event I was attending.
I paid extra shipping and its been over TWO weeks and I still haven't received it.
So I no longer have a use for it and dont even have it, I had my husband call to request a refund since we arent getting what we paid for and its been sitting in a different state for weeks.
They refuse to issue a refund! Saying we have to send it back. Wtf, we never received it?? Even the tracking number has said its in Washington for OVER 2 weeks. I dont live in washington, so.. They sent us a "return shipping label" To put on a invisible item I guess. They didnt attach it in the email though.
I shopped with them before walmart bought them, they used to rock. Ill never purchase from them again. Buyer beware!!!!

alexandram30
5/16/17

I used to shop every now and again at ModCloth. I would usually buy a few things and really loved the selections.

I heard a few weeks ago about Wal-Mart buying ModCloth, but wasn't sure if it was true or not. But, it is true.

I went back and checked the site and realized the site has better photos, higher prices, and from reading the reviews here.....terrible customer service.

I'm glad I looked into it further before planning to buy anything. The quality has to justify the price, so it's sad to see this new transition.

Hopefully they'll get their act together and they're working on fixing customer service and the quality of products.

alyssac26
5/1/17

I ordered shoes that ended up not fitting. There wasn't a return shipping label in my box, so I had to wait to receive that to mail it out. Then, once I mailed them, they only gave me store credit! I've never heard of any company only giving you store credit just because it's been over 30 days since you received your order. I hate all of their other items so now that is $72 that went to complete waste! So mad!

lucyl62
4/24/17

I bought a cardigan and had to return because of bigger size. I did not receive refund after 3 weeks of return. When I called them, they replied saying there was some problem and they will issue refund immediately. They sent it back after a week saying that it was from different supplier and they can't issue refund. I ordered from modcloth and I have no control over suppliers. I will never shop in modcloth again.

rachelm133
4/9/17

I shopped here years ago, I bought a swim suit that was awful on, sent it back they said they never received it, I was not a seasoned online shopper so I let it go but now I would GO THROUGH CC Co. to get YOUR MONEY BACK!!!!

Helpful answer

The quality is about 80% rubbish (based on 10 purchases and only keeping 2 items). Hardly any of the dresses are lined and they're made with very cheap fabric, they're also way more expensive than they used to be but the quality hasn't improved. The stitching is usually uneven and the cloth cuts are terrible. You have to pay to return things, and from Australia it often costs more in postage to return something than the item itself, so I wouldn't bother.

By Erin C. on 4/5/15
Helpful answer

Honestly, based on my bad experience with modcloth I vote no. Theit clothes and accessories are overpriced. I have ordered a lot of stuff from modcloth over the years and the material their products and some of their clothes are being made of cheap low quality material. I had to learn the hard way modcloth is kinda of a middle man. They purchase certain types of items/accessories and clothes from smaller mom and pop companies, and from overseas (China). Then, they jack up the price and sell it for way more than what it's worth and what they bought it for. Some of their clothes I discovered on other websites for less. Others are actually from real well known companies in Europe.

By BuySavvy B. on 12/19/15
Helpful answer

Great quality. I always read what fabric an item is so that I know what I'm getting. Been a modcloth customer for five years. Only once have I gotten a dress of poor quality. A black and white polka sorted dress labeled machine wash bled during washing.

By Karen K. on 4/4/17
Helpful answer

Be sure to refer to the sizing chart for your size. Also keep in mind that some items are in European or Asian sizes. Be sure to read the full desription of the item to know if you need to size up or down.

By Karen K. on 3/24/17

Stop staring.

By Karen K. on 9/8/16
Helpful answer

Since ModCloth has so many different brands and designers on their site, the best thing to do is to look at the reviews on each item and compare your measurements. Some things I've bought fit large and some fit small, so the reviews are really the best way to ensure accurate sizing.

By Jennifer B. on 5/12/16

Helpful answer

Questions? Get answers from the ModCloth staff and other customers.

ModCloth?