US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

kelseyd10
1/12/17

TERRIBLE customer service. Literally, the WORST. They do not represent customer service in any capacity. Despite the appearance that someone is there to "chat" with, they don't listen or try to work with you at all. The "employee's" only recite protocols, never actually listening to their "customer's" needs... just reitering polical rhetoric and protocol the PC has idly spit out. Confidently, I say that Modcloth is the WORST online apparel site. Modcloth is the opposite of integrity, representing a fake and superficial business that cares nothing for their customers , the opposite of integrity. Modcloth opperates detached from the foundations of any respectable business, which I will never purchase from again.

stephaniee34
1/8/17

They won't accept Visa gift cards and their customer service reps are extremely rude and unhelpful. They kept telling me that the fact that the card was a gift was irrelevant and the problem was easy to solve by purchasing THEIR gift card. Either these reps are complete idiots who don't know how to do their job or extremely rude people who just don't care.

willows2
1/7/17

I tried to buy two pairs of shoes, and my card wouldn't work, so I called the company and they told me that were trying to make me pay monthly. So I called Modcloth back and they said they couldn't do anything about it. So they were going to charge me every month, for items I already paid for.

karlav4
1/5/17

I have a second issue in which I had to get paypal involved. I'm pulling up the details so I can forward to you. 05:46:38 pm

Tyler E. 05:47:50 pm

Okay!

Karla 05:49:02 pm

Sorry, I'm still trying to pull it up

Tyler E. 05:49:22 pm

Can you describe the issue, or perhaps provide the order number it pertains to?

Karla 05:52:06 pm

Sure
Basically two orders that I placed were sent to my old address even though I entered the address via the app and paypal had my correct/current information. I called your customer service and was offered no support at all. 2 months later, almost, the packages are rerouted and I had to pay a total of $20.03( 18140447) one package and $13.81(18184599)for the other. Then I returned the one because it arrived so late(it was a gift) and now will be deducted the 5.99( 18140447) I don't think is right. 05:56:08 pm
I filed a dispute via paypal and someone from your customer service team directed me to the chat via the modcloth site saying that someone would help me.

Tyler E. 05:57:35 pm

I do see you've filed a dispute with us for the orders, however, I do not see any record of you reaching out to us here at customer care. Sadly, we do not use addresses from paypal, so if your shipping address is incorrect on Modcloth.com, it will ship to the address we have at the time of checkout.

Karla 05:58:09 pm

Because I called. Do you keep track of calls?

Tyler E. 05:59:47 pm

We do, yes.

Karla 06:00:43 pm

ok, my number is ....
I called in November

Tyler E. 06:01:24 pm

Sadly, having an order shipped to an old address isn't something to dispute a payment over. Since you have agreed to the payment with us shipping to the address provided on ModCloth, which is what we have done. I can see what we can do, however, we cannot be held responsible for things like this if we sent it to the address you checked out with.
One moment while I see what we can do. 06:02:36 pm

Karla 06:02:37 pm

It obviously is because one of your reps directed me back to the chat.

Tyler E. 06:03:09 pm

I understand you've been told we could help. We totally can help, but please realize that if you enter an incorrect address with us, that is not a mistake on our end.
What is the correct address you wanted these orders to ship to?

Karla 06:03:58 pm

AND, I called to have the package redirected and was offered no assistance(you all can call the carrier, chose not to.) and then suggested to "uninstall the app" if it was experiencing issue. A few days later you all had an update to the app indicated "bug fixes".
1533 W ... 06:04:07 pm
I entered the correct address
checked out with paypal and reverted back to the old address

Tyler E. 06:05:11 pm

That is not the address you've checked out with, I'm sorry for any confusion. I'd be happy to pass this information along to our shipping investigation team and they will reach out to you within a few business days.

Karla 06:06:12 pm

You can check and see how much I've purchased from you all throughout the years and never had an issue.

Tyler E. 06:06:21 pm

Yes, I can see that.

Karla 06:06:35 pm

Direct me to your IT team not shipping. Whats the point?

Tyler E. 06:07:15 pm

I'm directing your orders to the team that can help you out with these orders. Our IT team will not be able to help you.

lolaw2
1/4/17

I placed a large order with ModCloth, only to find that virtually nothing fit or was as described on their website. I got a partial refund and a credit. The credit hung on my account for several years - they steadfastly refused to convert it to a refund - until finally I found something that seemed like at least a distant bet to buy. Their customer service is abysmal and the quality of all but two of the 20 items I received was way below par. Avoid ModCloth at risk of losing your cash and your sanity!

jaredh13
1/4/17

I recently paid $5.99 to ship a necklace and a shirt. I had to pay $5.99 to return the necklace. I paid $29.99 for a necklace that was equivalent to a Disney store trinket. I tried to contact customer service, and although polite he offered no help or support. I love the style of mod cloth, but I will spend my money elsewhere. They do not care to have my business as I have communicated that I will not be a customer any longer, and no attempt to make amends was made.

kl494
12/28/16

I ordered something online from them for Christmas. I ordered it on December 18th and paid $7.99 for shipping and handling. It was supposed to be here in 2-5 days!!! It is now December 28th (10 DAYS!!!) and I still don't have what I ordered. I tried to contact customer service but I can't reach anyone so I have to wait for a response to an email. It's well past Christmas and I have no idea when my order will arrive.

alexandral12
12/26/16

Mediocre quality items and mediocre price point with a HORRIBLE and UNCLEAR return policy (especially on shoes). Never again will I order through here and if you care about quality from a company who stands behind their products, then keep looking.

Tip for consumers: Return shoes in their original box. DO NOT tape anything on the original shoe box and then place this box inside another box or wrap in brown paper in order to return. This is NOT clear on their return policy and you will not be given credit for your return NOR will they inform you it was not accepted or for what reason until you follow up with them. They charge a $5 return fee unless returned for store credit then they add a $5 credit. WHY they would do this? Cuz everyone wants their money back

johnnym61
12/21/16

Ordered the item a week before Christmas. I didn't expect for the item to get here before Christmas due to shipping delays on the shipping company (Fedex in this case). The problem falls even before that when it takes longer than 5 business days for ModCloth to even send the item.

Definitely won't be shopping here again.

sashaf13
11/12/16

The pictures of the products are great however, when I ordered my 3 pairs or shoes from them I was extremely disappointed. One of the pairs was on final sale but the quality was so bad (felt like walking on cardboard) that I got them to give me store credit. With that store credit I bought a different pair of shoes that I thought would be better because they looked like cool wooden heals with denim straps but the wood was just paint and the shoes felt hollow. Everything about them just felt wrong.

ivyg11
11/8/16

I've been buying from ModCloth for about 4+ years now. I don't buy from there very often (it can be pricey) but over the years I've accumulated a fair amount of items from their shop and I've been consistently pleased every time.

I'm plus-sized and it's difficult to find shops that sell such a variety of style types, fun patterns, and flattering cuts.

I will say, though, if you're the type to buy without reading the review, it is always worth it to give a good read. Despite a vast majority of their clothes being top notch, there are always going to be some sub-par ones.
Though, their return policy is great, so if you choose to buy first ask questions later, they've got your back!

megganm
11/3/16

I am very pleased the the items I ordered. They are of very high quality and when I called with questions, the CS bent over backward to help me. I highly recommend this site.

kendrae6
10/15/16

I have to say I do love ordering from ModCloth. They have tons of cute things. Since the sizing is inconsistent, I frequently order two sizes and send one back. I think they should offer a break on the return shipping for this reason. My main gripe though is that once in a blue moon they send me a coupon (despite spending easily over $100 a month). When my order went through, the discount didn't apply to the total. When I noticed while looking at my statement, they would not apply the discount, nor did they offer me another discount, saying, too bad it's expired. LAME. That is totally LAME customer service. Treat your customers well, especially long time, return customers who like to shop. If you don't, you lose them.

beccaj3
10/7/16

I haven't had any issues with returns or customer service, as many of these complaints have been.
Mostly, my issue has come from the clothing or accessories. I'm plus-sized, so the places I can shop for items that are cute or on trend can be difficult. I feel that ModCloth has Lane Bryant and Torrid prices with three year old, cotton/polyester blend, dumpster erosion quality. I've had shirts come apart after one washing, skirts not fit despite what the size chart says the size is, or items that are simply not flattering. The size chart is joke! Since ModCloth gets items from tons of different vendors, and the sizing isn't customized to the vendor's sizing, it's impossible to know what you're getting. Also the majority of the time, the brands aren't listed in the description, so you can't investigate more about it to see if that's an item that could work for you. You know, since ModCloth isn't doing that footwork for you, you'd think they'd make it possible for you to do it. I bought earrings for $14.99, and they came unglued after a few days. So, there seems to be very little quality control, just pretty pictures and clever names attached to items you wouldn't have even given a second glance to if you'd seen them in person. However, it's online, so you take chances and trust pictures. The majority of the ModCloth merchandise proves itself to be inferior. To give ModCloth its due, I have had some successes. And I continued to buy from the brands that worked, but it shouldn't be a situation where only about 25% of the time the clothes or accessories you get are good. And I mean only good, not exceptional, and, generally, not worth the price. With ModCloth, you're paying for wonderful pictures and clever names; you're buying the fantasy. Because after several purchases, it's become evident the quality of the products DOES NOT live up to how they are advertised.

sarahw152
10/6/16

We ordered a party dress on sale for a special event using the measurement recommendations on the website. We were excited and I didn't mind paying extra shipping to get the dress early. Unfortunately, when it came it was too large. I called to see if we could exchange it and NO, we could not even do that because it was a 'final sale'....returns I understand, but exchanges? Really?

inezk
9/29/16

Mod Cloth steals your money! Be careful, they WILL NOT refund you your money. Mod Cloth does not disclose the fact that will not refund you the money. The clothes are cheap, don't fit and expensive - it's mostly polyester cloth - for the price you would think it could atleast be cotton - but that's besides the fact. It's been over a year and I still can't find something I want to order but they will not refund my money!! Nor do you tell you that you WILL NOT get a refund. Why don't they disclose that?

saran53
9/27/16

I ordered the wrong size dress for a wedding and had to fly out for the wedding 2 days later and they gave me free overnight shipping so I could receive it on time! This was without me even asking, simply so I could get the dress I wanted in time to wear to a wedding!

sarahl177
9/22/16

Does anyone remember the days when Modcloth was fast? I'd order clothes and get them within a few days. Now it's closer to two weeks by the time they process the order and ship (and I'm in NYC, pretty close to their warehouse).

The quality of their products has always been hit or miss, so I'm prepared for somewhat expensive items to arrive and look cheap, or vice versa. Overall, it seems that Modcloth has gotten too big too fast--they seem incapable of keeping up with stock (I often find that out-of-stock items linger on the site for ages, taunting me) and getting that stock to customers. My most recent order has been "in process" for days. When I asked if I could just cancel, they would not let me. Like many other customers, the items I ordered won't arrive in time for the event I ordered them for. I'll be sending them all back. I wish they'd get it together and be the efficient company they once were!

melissel
9/4/16

On the overall, I like Modcloth. I have ordered from this store several times over the past five or six years. I like their selection and I really like that they cater to the plus size market too. Out of the 20+ pieces I have ordered, about 2/3rds have been well-made.

Since they have different designers, some things are wonderfully made; others, not so much. I ordered a cotton dress where the material was so nice and sturdy that people commented that it looked like it had been made decades ago before all of the fabric downgrades. I ordered another dress that was supposed to be okay in the washer, but shrank so much that it was unwearable as anything other than a top.

The only real complaint I have with Modcloth is their direly slow shipping. I ordered clothing for a vacation once, four or five items, about a week before I was due to leave. Despite paying through the nose for two day shipping for it, they didn't arrive on time. I contacted customer service and they were nice, and they completely refunded my shipping and gave me a 25% off promo code, but told me at that point I had to contact fedex. Fedex was not so nice and they did not arrive before I left for vacation.

Generally speaking, their "savvy saver" shipping (the cheapest) usually pushes the limits of their 9 days max promise. The galling thing about that is that I only live a two hour drive from their warehouse's location, but they use a convoluted service that starts out with Fedex and ends with USPS. I think if they used another service and even if it raised the cost of standard shipping, it would still be a lot better for their customers.

janek42
8/30/16

I ordered two pairs of shoes. Straight out of the box, we could see they were very cheaply made of very flimsy material--basically thin craft foam glued to barely rubberized card board. Both made in China and judging by the quality, we were suspicious of how and of what they were made. And you have to pay $5.99 to return. Left an honest review about the disappointment in the quality, which was not shared on their site. Also, not forthcoming on exactly how much of a refund I will receive. Expect it not to be very fair.

paulinel10
8/28/16

I've recently order 2 times from this site, cloths and Shoes. They come as they described and true to size. The dresses are beautiful and the shoes are comfortable and well made. Their customer service will response and try their best to help. Wonderful experience! Will sure shop here again!

elizabethb172
8/27/16

I ordered a bag from ModCloth for that cost almost $60. After gentle use for 1 year, the lining completely ripped out in multiple places, making the bag unusable. I contacted the company, and they offered me a 10% off coupon with free shipping. Not exactly what I call standing by their product. I called them, and they offered me 25% ($14 something dollars) store credit as a one time, extreme courtesy- not exactly what I call standing by your product. I ordered a dress, and the quality was very poor for that, too. I would not recommend anyone purchase from this company. Their quality is poor, and they do not stand by their products.

rebeccag33
8/24/16

I've ordered three dresses from Modcloth. All were surprisingly low quality for the price I paid. Cheap fabric, buttons falling off, hanging threads all over. Cheap quality dresses never look as nice on you as they do in the promo picture.

Sizing is also hit or miss with Modcloth. One dress was marked 'runs small' so I ordered up a size and it was still too small. Another said it runs true to size, but I could barely squeeze into it.

ModCloth is tempting, but not worth it!

jilly11
8/17/16

The clothes looked so cute. And ordering was easy. But, the sweater was a cheap import item that was way too small even though it said "true to size".
Then the return process:
1. I have to pay for shipping
2. The FedEx label wouldn't print.
3. Chat Help was NOT helpful. Had no other option but wait 24 hours for Fed Ex.
4. Then the Chat Helper was rude when I checked back on the Fed Ex issue.

shannonl43
8/11/16

Was excited seeing all the super cute clothes, but was extremely disappointed with the actual dress I bought. Poor quality, terrible fit, even worse return policy. Charged almost $7.00 for the return, am still waiting on a refund, and was chastised by the customer service rep in online chat. FYI: their 800 number not only spammed me with ads while I was on hold, I had to wait for 5 ads to conclude which required pressing the pound key to move forward, after the fifth or so ad, I was told the 800 number had been changed and needed to try my call again.

10 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the ModCloth staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question