US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

inezk
9/29/16

Mod Cloth steals your money! Be careful, they WILL NOT refund you your money. Mod Cloth does not disclose the fact that will not refund you the money. The clothes are cheap, don't fit and expensive - it's mostly polyester cloth - for the price you would think it could atleast be cotton - but that's besides the fact. It's been over a year and I still can't find something I want to order but they will not refund my money!! Nor do you tell you that you WILL NOT get a refund. Why don't they disclose that?

saran53
9/27/16

I ordered the wrong size dress for a wedding and had to fly out for the wedding 2 days later and they gave me free overnight shipping so I could receive it on time! This was without me even asking, simply so I could get the dress I wanted in time to wear to a wedding!

sarahl177
9/22/16

Does anyone remember the days when Modcloth was fast? I'd order clothes and get them within a few days. Now it's closer to two weeks by the time they process the order and ship (and I'm in NYC, pretty close to their warehouse).

The quality of their products has always been hit or miss, so I'm prepared for somewhat expensive items to arrive and look cheap, or vice versa. Overall, it seems that Modcloth has gotten too big too fast--they seem incapable of keeping up with stock (I often find that out-of-stock items linger on the site for ages, taunting me) and getting that stock to customers. My most recent order has been "in process" for days. When I asked if I could just cancel, they would not let me. Like many other customers, the items I ordered won't arrive in time for the event I ordered them for. I'll be sending them all back. I wish they'd get it together and be the efficient company they once were!

melissel
9/4/16

On the overall, I like Modcloth. I have ordered from this store several times over the past five or six years. I like their selection and I really like that they cater to the plus size market too. Out of the 20+ pieces I have ordered, about 2/3rds have been well-made.

Since they have different designers, some things are wonderfully made; others, not so much. I ordered a cotton dress where the material was so nice and sturdy that people commented that it looked like it had been made decades ago before all of the fabric downgrades. I ordered another dress that was supposed to be okay in the washer, but shrank so much that it was unwearable as anything other than a top.

The only real complaint I have with Modcloth is their direly slow shipping. I ordered clothing for a vacation once, four or five items, about a week before I was due to leave. Despite paying through the nose for two day shipping for it, they didn't arrive on time. I contacted customer service and they were nice, and they completely refunded my shipping and gave me a 25% off promo code, but told me at that point I had to contact fedex. Fedex was not so nice and they did not arrive before I left for vacation.

Generally speaking, their "savvy saver" shipping (the cheapest) usually pushes the limits of their 9 days max promise. The galling thing about that is that I only live a two hour drive from their warehouse's location, but they use a convoluted service that starts out with Fedex and ends with USPS. I think if they used another service and even if it raised the cost of standard shipping, it would still be a lot better for their customers.

janek42
8/30/16

I ordered two pairs of shoes. Straight out of the box, we could see they were very cheaply made of very flimsy material--basically thin craft foam glued to barely rubberized card board. Both made in China and judging by the quality, we were suspicious of how and of what they were made. And you have to pay $5.99 to return. Left an honest review about the disappointment in the quality, which was not shared on their site. Also, not forthcoming on exactly how much of a refund I will receive. Expect it not to be very fair.

paulinel10
8/28/16

I've recently order 2 times from this site, cloths and Shoes. They come as they described and true to size. The dresses are beautiful and the shoes are comfortable and well made. Their customer service will response and try their best to help. Wonderful experience! Will sure shop here again!

elizabethb172
8/27/16

I ordered a bag from ModCloth for that cost almost $60. After gentle use for 1 year, the lining completely ripped out in multiple places, making the bag unusable. I contacted the company, and they offered me a 10% off coupon with free shipping. Not exactly what I call standing by their product. I called them, and they offered me 25% ($14 something dollars) store credit as a one time, extreme courtesy- not exactly what I call standing by your product. I ordered a dress, and the quality was very poor for that, too. I would not recommend anyone purchase from this company. Their quality is poor, and they do not stand by their products.

rebeccag33
8/24/16

I've ordered three dresses from Modcloth. All were surprisingly low quality for the price I paid. Cheap fabric, buttons falling off, hanging threads all over. Cheap quality dresses never look as nice on you as they do in the promo picture.

Sizing is also hit or miss with Modcloth. One dress was marked 'runs small' so I ordered up a size and it was still too small. Another said it runs true to size, but I could barely squeeze into it.

ModCloth is tempting, but not worth it!

jilly11
8/17/16

The clothes looked so cute. And ordering was easy. But, the sweater was a cheap import item that was way too small even though it said "true to size".
Then the return process:
1. I have to pay for shipping
2. The FedEx label wouldn't print.
3. Chat Help was NOT helpful. Had no other option but wait 24 hours for Fed Ex.
4. Then the Chat Helper was rude when I checked back on the Fed Ex issue.

shannonl43
8/11/16

Was excited seeing all the super cute clothes, but was extremely disappointed with the actual dress I bought. Poor quality, terrible fit, even worse return policy. Charged almost $7.00 for the return, am still waiting on a refund, and was chastised by the customer service rep in online chat. FYI: their 800 number not only spammed me with ads while I was on hold, I had to wait for 5 ads to conclude which required pressing the pound key to move forward, after the fifth or so ad, I was told the 800 number had been changed and needed to try my call again.

kathleent14
8/2/16

Wow!!! What a site!! Love It! 50's style? Yes...Modern style? Why Yes! Vintage? On track! Style, Grace, quality!! Have spent some serious money at this site! Dresses to die for!

rebeccas113
7/12/16

I often shop for clothing online and get things delivered from American retailers. For some reason every time I order from ModCloth the duties and taxes are very high, like $60 for a $120 order, shipped from US to Canada. I wish they were able to provide a better option, maybe have a Canadian distributor. The extra cost makes it so I will have to forego ordering from them again which is disappointing.

alir35
7/11/16

One thing with mail order companies is they have to be genius at handling returns. Modcloth is the slowest at processing returns you pay shipping on the return (unless exchanging) wait 5-7 business days for it to arrive back to Modcloth and then 4-9 business days to process a refund. Yoy could forget in 16 days. Hopefully you are satisfied with your purchase. I am not willing to gamble again.

tamraw1
7/6/16

Terrible return policy!! They have to receive the shipment within the listed days - not just have verification that it has been shipped out. Will never order from them again!!

jenniferb219
6/2/16

I ordered my first thing from ModCloth last year and am now completely hooked on the website. They've got so much fun and unique clothing and they reviews are extremely helpful for figuring out what size to order. I've bought a wide range of stuff from ModCloth, from shoes to skirts to purses to shirts and even my wedding dress, and there's nothing I didn't love.

I really recommend this site, and have had only good experiences the few times I've needed to exchange things for different sizes or ask questions.

jennifers243
6/2/16

I purchased two dresses last month and found them to be poor in quality - they are very cute and looks good on you but the zippers had issues for both dresses. On 1 dress the zipper wouldn't even move on the first try so I had to return both - first week of May.

I still haven't received the refund for 1 dress. The other dress I got the refund after I called, emailed, complained about the refund processing time. It's really not worth the hassle.

They do have nice customer service people, but their customer service process is very poor as it is taking about 4 weeks to process my refund...just because their returns take about 2 weeks to get to their facility.

I am very disappointed with this store and I hope I get my money back soon.

sarah2658
5/21/16

I genuinely love the clothing design of this company, BUT every single item I've purchased has SHRUNK, either by huge or not so huge amounts (although still noticeably). Even after washing the items on delicate and in cold water, they still shrunk. Which is very maddening since they are not cheap!!! The one tunic I ordered was a flannel type with sleeves that were supposed to button to keep them held up, well one arm was missing the hole for the button!!

sarahh177
5/19/16

I had an order that was mistakenly returned to sender by the USPS. I had 7 conversations with 7 different representatives, who all gave me misinformation. I never once received any communication directly from them and also never received a single piece of the follow up communication that I was promised multiple times after our conversations. A month and a half later, I still made no headway and continued to be misinformed (at best) or misled (at worst) by their workers. I should've asked for a refund from the get-go. Cute clothes, but by NO MEANS worth the headache, if anything goes wrong.

sylviae2
5/12/16

I just received my Sailorette of the Seas Jeans, they are so cute and the fit is perfect. I'm 5'9" 145lbs and bought the size 29, they were long enough.....Yay !!!!!!

jillr42
4/19/16

I've been a ModCloth customer for years. I love their selection, and they have a fair amount of promotions. However, their returns have gotten much, much slowerit takes 3-4 weeks for me to receive my refund once I ship something back, and I don't even receive a confirmation email from them that they've received my shipment. Their CX agents are very friendly, their live chat is great, and their marketing emails are some of the best in the bizhowever, the overpriced, inconsistent-quality clothes and slow shipping and returns makes me think twice about shopping here.

christined46
4/18/16

I absolutely love Modcloth, they have so many unique and adorable products!! You can find anything from retro styled dresses to quirky decor!
The only reason I'm only giving it 4 out of 5 is the shipping took forever and an item or two had some loose threads/stitches, but overall I'm in love!!

sandrad55
4/17/16

Ordered new swimwear and paid almost $35 for expedited shipping to ensure they arrived before I went on holiday. Unfortunately, the useless staff at Modcloth didn't dispatch the item for 3 days, which now means the order will not arrive in time and I've just wasted $200. When I queried why, they could not reasonably explain why it takes 3 days to ship international orders when they can ship US orders the same day. Worst shopping experience ever. I won't be wasting my time and money with them again.

caitlynh3
4/14/16

The one-star reviews baffle me!!
Some of my favorite pieces come from ModCloth. I've been shopping with them regularly for years. As an avid online shopper, I'm also a regular item returner. Although the back and forth shipping with ModCloth can add up, I've always found thier customer service to be **FAR** superior to other online vendors.
I have owned several dresses from ModCloth for many years and I find the quality of the dresses is well aligned with thier prices. They are the same quality you'd exect from a department store - but the designs are unique and beautiful.
Many of my favorite dresses are from ModCloth. I get many compliments on my dresses and I'm always happy to recommend ModCloth.

annab201
4/12/16

I ordered a pair of jeans for 50-ish dollars off this website. Shortly after I started wearing them (I mean one wash and about 3 wears) they started breaking down. They weren't by any means overly tight but the but seam started separating and the elastic started fraying. This was around 3 months after I'd received them so they didn't fall within the window of returns and barely within exchanges. They only gave me a credit back because they'd already received them in the mail, and it was for the cost minus return shipping. It shouldn't matter that they'd been worn, washed, or in my possession for almost 3 months, pants SHOULDN'T BREAK DOWN like that, and any company worth their salt would've done something about it. I reached out to customer service twice and they ignored my complaint. They weren't willing to follow-through on quality control. There are plenty of better places to take your business. If you buy here you could be stuck with a lemon.

joycec34
4/5/16

I used to love shopping at Modcloth, the customer service department was so giving and helpful . I ordered so much from them because of this. Now since they changed their policy, i don't like them anymore. I do order from them every once in a while, but not as often as I did in the past. They used to offer free returns was one of the features that I miss. If i forgot an item in the past on my order, they used to send the item free of charge. These days? no way . so many little things they stopped doing that made a difference.

7 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the ModCloth staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question