Review of ModCloth

San Francisco, CA 94107, US
support@modcloth.com

pamelap188
6/10/19

I really like many of their clothes, but they are over priced for what the quality. I just recently bought a few sale iteams and I wore the bathing suit once in a hot tun for about an hour and bam! Tore in the cleveage area. It is particularly annoying because I cannot return or exchange a status it is a sale item. I like the patterns styles and such, but the quality just isn't worth the risk for me.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi there, Pamela. I'm very sorry to hear that your swim suit didn't hold up! We take the quality of our items very seriously, and when we fall short, we want to ensure we make it right. Please reach out to our Customer Care team, at modcloth.com/help, and they'll be glad to assist with this. We are available from 8am-11pm EST Monday-Friday, and 8am-9pm EST Saturday. The quickest way to get in contact is via phone or online chat. We certainly won't leave you with an item you aren't able to use!
tenw1
6/7/19

I've ordered from Modcloth before over the years without issues (they have such cute clothing). However, not sure what's going now, but have had terrible service with my latest 2 orders.
With 1st order, I didn't get any notice my order was shipped until a day before it arrived. I returned 3 of the 5 items (with 1 being exchanged for a different size). The return was delivered to them over a week ago with NO communication from Modcloth. Did online chat with a Modcloth rep and found out "they are behind on returns and you can call to make a 'quick return'." So tried to call customer service and the wait time was 54 minutes!! Screw that. With the 2nd order, again, no communication about shipping until the item was a day out from being delivered. One of the items was completely inaccurate -- wrong item and wrong size. Will be returning since I have no more patience with dealing with their returns and exchanges. Super disappointing and I am done with this company!

Tip for consumers: Beware, period. Your order may not have been fulfilled accurately and it takes forever to A) get a return/exchange processed and B) get a hold of customer service via phone

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, there. Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience with your past orders, or any trouble with getting in touch with our team. During our most recent sales, we received an extremely high volume of incoming calls, chats, and emails, and have been working hard to get replies to everyone, as quickly as possible. We absolutely never want to leave you with an incorrect item, and would certainly like to take care of it for you, right away. Wait times shouldn't be as long at this point, so if you could please reach out to us via phone at 888-495-9699, or give us a chat, we'd be glad to assist, ASAP. We are available from 8am-11pm EST Monday-Friday, and 8am-9pm EST Saturdays.
ginah83
6/5/19

I have purchased MANY items from Modcloth - most are quite overpriced, so I shop there almost exclusively during sales. Or sometimes I'm willing to pay the higher prices depending on the uniqueness of the clothing, since they do have a lot of items with really fun patterns and styles. For the most part, each time I have had an issue with them, everything has been resolved very quickly. However, I am a little disappointed in the quality at times. Also, more recently, I had a return for about 150$ worth of merch in my car which was stolen when my car was broken into. I reached out to Modcloth shortly after the memorial day sale I missed, hoping for a coupon promo code or something so I could place another order, and explained the situation of how my return package was stolen. I figured I had nothing to lose by asking, and while I didn't necessarily expect them to just hand over a coupon, I've been a customer for about a decade... they could have at least replied. I found this quite rude to just ignore me after I have bought so much from them, and it's definitely making me think twice about ordering again.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi there, Gina. I'm very sorry to hear that you haven't received a reply to your message. We have received an extremely high volume of emails recently, and are working hard to get back to everyone, as quickly as we are able. Please rest assured that we would never intentionally leave messages unanswered, and we will certainly not leave you empty-handed. Please feel free to reach out to our team via chat at modcloth.com/help, or phone at 888-495-9699. We'd be glad to assist. We are available from 8am-11pm EST Monday-Friday, and 8am-9pm EST Saturdays.
amirm79
5/28/19

I must review them because of their high quality and excellent product. I just got A-Line Dress. The best thing is that it has high quality fabric with affordable price and seller has sent me the exact same product that was shown in the website.
Thanks for providing a quality product.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, Amir! We appreciate your kind words. Please let our Customer Care team (modcloth.com/help) know if there's anything they can assist with. Glad to know you're loving your recent order!
jw414
5/25/19

I want to start this review by saying I've never had a problem with any ModCloth products once they have arrived- however, that's were the good news ends. I've been shopping with ModCloth for years now and every year the shipping gets worse. It never delivers on time so if you ever need an item for an exact day I'd add at least a day or two to the estimated delivery (once it actually gets out of processing hell that is). This time they didn't even bother to bring my package to the office or my apartment. I'm lucky that I have kind neighbors that took the time to come find me otherwise after 9 days I still would be wondering what in the world was going on and fighting with customer service. I know that a lot of this has to do with the carrier provider selected for deliveries but this is truly disappointing from how things were run 5 years ago. Still plan to continue shopping here but I do hope that something is done about the shipping process eventually.

Otherwise the products are still cute and unique and overall fairly good quality with a few outliers.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, there. Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I sincerely apologize for any shipping inconvenience! When it comes to processing orders, we do try to be as speedy as possible, but in times of sales we sometimes experience a delay, due to high volumes of orders. Please rest assured that we are always working to improve to avoid any future delays! I'm also sorry to hear that your packages tend to take longer than expected to be delivered after they have shipped. I will certainly share your feedback about this with the appropriate teams!
anyirid
5/3/19

I read a lot of reviews and mostly were horrible and I still ordered 3dresses and 2pair of shoes. Glad I did. Love the way dress fit and shoes were surprisingly very comfortable. I got my delivery within 5 days.

kims546
4/16/19

I ordered a metal belt, which arrived with two giant kinks in it, plus there was no way to even clasp it shut. It was very obviously defective. So I returned it with the shipping label included in the box for returns and made sure to note on there why I was returning. They then refunded only the price of the item and I had to call and fight with them to get the shipping refunded as well. After I wrote a review saying all of that, they emailed me and said that they do not post reviews about items delivered in less than satisfactory condition. That is completely dishonest, and I will never shop there again. Companies should not be able to just choose to not share bad reviews.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi there, Kim. I'm so very sorry to hear that you received a product in less-than-stellar condition, and for any disappointment in the overall experience. I am going to follow up with you via email to see how I can further assist. In the meantime, I would recommend removing the photo you posted which includes your order number, for your security. We wouldn't want your personal order information posted publicly online. I apologize, again- you should be hearing from me very shortly.
julis8
4/14/19

I bought a dress from this company several years ago and was quite pleased. I recently purchased 4 tops and a pair of shoes. The tops were all size L. I take a M or L. They were way too small especially in the bust. Cheaply made. Not cut right. Made in China. The shoes were so cute but I would rather have wooden shoes. They had no give. No arch at all. Felt like starched cardboard. The styles are unique but are probably made by child labor. Never again unless they can prove some sort of quality to their clothing.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi there, Juli. I'm very sorry to hear that the items you purchased were not exactly what was expected. We certainly strive to have top quality items, and when we fall short, it's important that we look into what may have been the cause. Please rest assured that I will share your feedback with the appropriate teams.
ashleyj145
4/9/19

Was bummed when they got bought by Walmart, but their selection has not gone down in value or quality from what I can tell. I do still love their skirts.

amandar377
3/2/19

Yet again inflated prices for double digit sizes and sub-par quality. I will say that the styles and options at Mod put them above other plus size online retainers

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Amanda. Thank you for taking the time to reach out, and for your honest feedback. Please know that I have shared your words with the appropriate teams. In the meantime, if you ever need any assistance with product, our expert ModStylists are happy to help. You can reach them at modcloth.com/modstylists.
jenniferw510
1/13/19

I purchased a huge wool coat and a few other items. I only bought the coat bc I saw that they offer free returns. When the items came, the coat was HUGE. It is not at all what I expected. In the box was a fedex return label. I called customer service bc where I live, there is no fedex drop off aside from drop boxes, and this is a HUGE box. She said that within 24 hours the warehouse would be emailing me a usps label. It never came. Two days later, after emailing to say never receiveced, someone emailed me the "label" only when I opened their attachment, it just took me to their website about how to return via fedex. So now it appears that I am going to have to pay over 20 to send back this item due to their apparently being unable to provide a return label that I can use. It is a shame because they have some really cute clothes. I was hoping this would be a long-term relationship, but that cannot happen now. Had I known I would have to pay the large shipping price for the coat, I would never have taken the chance. I emailed the csr back and said that the attachment didn't work, but I am very doubtful that I will ever get my usps label from Modcloth. So unless my item will fit in a fedex drop box, I cannot order there again. Not worth the additional expense and all the trouble.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Jennifer. I apologize for any inconvenience! I hope that you were able to get in touch with our Customer Care team to receive that label. We are always able to provide free USPS return labels, if FedEx is not an option, so it sounds like there may have been some technical difficulties here. In any case, please know that I have shared your feedback with the appropriate teams.
bettyb175
12/17/18

I was wondering why my order wasn't shipping, googled "ModCloth shipping taking forever" and landed here. Looks like I'm in good company. Good luck, friends!
Bless the poor woman whose job it is to respond to all of these reviews. I know it's not her fault. But ModCloth, c'mon. This isn't your first rodeo. Blaming this shipping debacle on the (annual and predictably busy) holiday season is pretty ridiculous at this point. Just admit "we f@#*&ed up" and get better.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Betty. Thank you for reaching out. I apologize for any inconvenience with that shipping delay. We did receive a larger-than-normal influx of orders during the holiday season. Please rest assured that we are taking steps to prevent delays like these in the future!
lmaries
12/8/18

I must echo the many, many reviews on this site that have reported slow processing times, issues with shipping, and slow-to-respond "Customer Care." I have ordered from ModCloth twice and while my experiences haven't been as negative as a few of the ones posted here, I am really displeased with the way ModCloth treats their customers. It's been a week since my most recent order and I still don't have shipping information.

The last time I ordered, it took as long to get shipping information, which was changed on the day I was supposed to receive my package. I got it the next day. About three days after my order, when I hadn't gotten shipping information, I inquired as to the whereabouts of my package via email and got a response on the very day I finally received my order. Chats and phone calls to ModCloth were utter wastes of time. So, if you do have an issue, you're likely to wait for some attention from "Customer Care."

The clothes are cute, but perhaps overpriced. I didn't pay full price, however, so I can't complain personally. I waited until there was a sale.

In general, I'm pretty unsatisdied with the service and don't expect to order from ModCloth again.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi there. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience! Please know that I have shared your feedback with the appropriate teams. We know that this past holiday season was incredibly busy, and processing took much longer than what is typical for ModCloth. Please rest assured that we are always looking for ways to prevent large delays in the future. Our Customer Care team did receive high message volumes during that time, but responses should be quicker, moving forward. You can always reach our team at modcloth.com/help from 8am-11pm EST Monday-Friday, and 8am-9pm EST Saturday-Sunday. I apologize, again, for any disappointment.
colleenc104
12/8/18

I ordered an item for a Christmas gift. 2 weeks later checking order status shows order cancelled. Chat operator reports that item is out of stock. Unable to answer why it took 2 weeks to discover this or why it would let me order my item initially. I was offered 20% off next order. I declined an unsubscribed them. It's 2018 and there are many reputable online professional companies. This is not one of them.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Colleen. Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience with your order. Oversales are not too frequent on our site, but they do happen occasionally, particularly during large sale times, like this past holiday season. Please know that we are always working to improve upon this, and I will certainly share your feedback with the right teams.
erinb159
12/7/18

A week ago, I purchased two dresses for a work- related event being held tonight. Last night (one day shy of a week post- order) I was informed that my order had not shipped and no date was given as to when it would ship. The 10% off "gift" offered by Modcloth (to make things better) seemed like a slap in the face- considering the fact that I now have nothing to wear- and was not given any time to come up with something. At the very least, I could have been notified earlier- thereby giving me time enough to find something else. Instead, what I received as an empty apology and a mere pittance off that can't make up for the stress and frustration caused by a company that obiously should not be in business . Stay away from Modcloth!

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Erin. Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I sincerely apologize for any trouble with this order. I know that the shipping delays during this past holiday season were frustrating, and I am very sorry for the disappointment. Please rest assured that I have shared your words with the appropriate team, and if there is anything we can do to help, we'll be glad to assist at modcloth.com/help.
allyl9
12/7/18

Ordered 11/27 (today is December 7th) and it is STILL processing. What is there to process? If you try to speak to a rep you will be put on hold for hours. I emailed as well (yesterday) and still have not received a response. I don't mind a long wait, I would just like a little communication as to what is going on. I used to love this store, but it really has fallen off. I am super disappointed.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Ally. Thank you for reaching out. I sincerely apologize for the frustration with this order, and for any trouble with getting in touch with our team. Last holiday season did bring large delays, and caused our Customer Care team to get behind in response times. Please know that I have shared your feedback with our team, and we are working to ensure future delays like this don't occur.
sq8
12/6/18

Item never delivered and charged delivery and taxes when called to complain! Refused to give anything but store credit for an item NEVER DELIVERED. Wow. What do you think? Do I really need to say more?

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience with your previous order. Please know that I have shared your feedback with the appropriate teams. If you have any outstanding questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at modcloth.com/help. We're always happy to assist with how you may be able to get in touch with your customs/duties office to be refunded for fees on an item you did not receive.
natalies177
12/3/18

888 is always over 60 minutes, chat doesn't work, robot doesn't load so can't even write. Ordered a pair of shoes which still haven't arrived, and am unable to contact them to cancel. Horrible company. Buy somewhere else.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Natalie. I'm very sorry for any inconvenience or disappointing experience. I know that this past holiday season saw some long wait times with getting in touch with our team, as well as heavy shipping delays. Please know that these are not typical of ModCloth, and we are always working to prevent them in the future. I will certainly share your feedback with the appropriate teams, and if you have any other questions or concerns, our Customer Care team is always happy to assist, at modcloth.com/help.
terryc219
12/3/18

I ordered a gift for my daughter. i paid extra to have it shipped in 2 -3 days so it would arrive in time for her birthday. When I went to check on the status online, it said the page wasn't available. I had to wait for Chat for 45 minutes. The agent told me it hadn't shipped yet and that the shipping time was different than the processing time. There is no way to track the packages. I too wish I had read the reviews first. I won't do business there again.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Terry. Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. Please know that the wait times and shipping delays seen this past holiday season are not typical of ModCloth, and we are always working to avoid them during future busy seasons. I hope that your package arrived safely, but please don't hesitate to let our Customer Care team know if you have any other questions or concerns. You can reach them at modcloth.com/help. In the meantime, please rest assured that I have shared your feedback with the appropriate teams.
missb20
11/29/18

Service reps are trash as well as the quality of their clothing. ModCloth really fell off. Last time I will be shopping on their website.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out. I sincerely apologize for any disappointing experiences you may have had with us in the past. Please know that I will share your feedback with the appropriate teams. In the meantime, our Customer Care team is always happy to assist with any questions or concerns you may have. You can reach them at modcloth.com/help.
hannahg63
10/22/18

So I bought one of their dresses because I was bridesmaid in a wedding. However, after I wore it once in a really hot, summer wedding, somehow my sweat dyed the dress. And even though it was PAST the return date, they still allowed me to return it and gave me back store credit to buy something else which was awesome. So their customer service was awesome and I'm so thankful.

kittycatc
10/17/18

I made several purchases recently and returned a couple of items from each, new and unworn. I've only received a refund on ONE item from a two-item return so far with no explanation of WHY. I hope I get the refunds on the other two. I did keep copies of everything, but, I am hacked off. Also, they forgot to put an item in one of the orders. When they miss something, they have ALL THE TIME in the world, but, if you're returning something, you better hurry your butt up and cross your fingers you'll get your refund at all. And, they are overpriced. So overpriced. Needless to say, I am DOWN on Modcloth. This world is FULL of other and better places to shop. I'm going to shop at some of them. I'm done with Modcloth. Done.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or disappointment with your past returns. I do hope that you received your refunds for those additional items, but if you did not, our Customer Care team would definitely like to look into that for you. You can reach them at modcloth.com/help. We're also always happy to assist with any items missing from orders- we never want to leave you without an item that you ordered with us.
samanthap125
9/29/18

I was going to be a modcloth customer for life until they posted false return times for their return policy. I got horribly misshapen clothes and returned them within the time frame of the policy. they have had the cloths back for 2WEEKS! AND I STILL DONT HAVE MY MONEY BACK! The representative spouted something about "its out of our hands and in visa's now" are you kidding? thats what you call customer service? when your policy clearly states 5-7 business days on your website?? NEVER WILL WASTE MY TIME AGAIN!

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi there, Samantha. I sincerely apologize for any trouble with your previous refund. We do process returns within 5-7 business days, but it can occasionally take a bank or card company a little more time to receive and process the funds on their end. I do hope you received your funds back, but if not, please reach out to our team right away, at modcloth.com/help. We will be glad to provide any information needed, so that you can show proof of refund/return to your bank or card company. In the meantime, please rest assured that I have shared your feedback with the appropriate teams.
willief26
9/20/18

I have been waiting for my order and thought I'd check the tracking. Couldn't find it. Couldn't find my order whether I was logged in or not by the order number. Started a chat (took forever to get a response..that's ok, they're busy, I guess) he finally found my order but it had not even begun to ship yet. Was hoping to wear the bell-bottom jeans to my upcoming high school reunion but that doesn't look like it will happen. The guy says it is shipping today so we shall see. I hope the item actually gets here and isn't junk like so many here have said. I'll check back in later to tell you how it turns out.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Willie. I apologize for the wait with your previous order! I do hope that you received the package, and in plenty of time for your event. Packages typically only take a couple of business days to leave our facility, but during heavy sale or promo periods, that can take a bit longer. Please rest assured that I have shared your feedback with the appropriate team. If there is anything we can do to assist with anything else, please don't hesitate to reach out to Customer Care at modcloth.com/help.
perlav2
9/16/18

I think their clothes is super cute until you wash them... or even dry clean them. Then they fall apart.. dedefinitely not worth the price.

The quality is about 80% rubbish (based on 10 purchases and only keeping 2 items). Hardly any of the dresses are lined and they're made with very cheap fabric, they're also way more expensive than they used to be but the quality hasn't improved. The stitching is usually uneven and the cloth cuts are terrible. You have to pay to return things, and from Australia it often costs more in postage to return something than the item itself, so I wouldn't bother.

By Erin C.

Honestly, based on my bad experience with modcloth I vote no. Theit clothes and accessories are overpriced. I have ordered a lot of stuff from modcloth over the years and the material their products and some of their clothes are being made of cheap low quality material. I had to learn the hard way modcloth is kinda of a middle man. They purchase certain types of items/accessories and clothes from smaller mom and pop companies, and from overseas (China). Then, they jack up the price and sell it for way more than what it's worth and what they bought it for. Some of their clothes I discovered on other websites for less. Others are actually from real well known companies in Europe.

By BuySavvy B.

Used to be great. Horrible now. Never true to size. Cheaply made from China.

By Juli S.

Hey, Leslie! No need to worry- returns are pretty easy, especially if you're in the U.S., where we can provide a free return shipping label. At this moment, we are just a little behind on getting returns processed, due to heavy volumes during our recent sales, but we're working on getting caught up, ASAP! Our Customer Care team can also always help with any returns questions you have, as well as checking on returns statuses. You can reach them from 8am-11pm EST Monday-Friday, and 8am-9pm EST Saturdays, at modcloth.com/help!

By Taten S., ModCloth Representative

Yes, there are full cash refunds and online store credit for the returns. It is annoying, but you would go into the purchase history and there is a section to return whatever items you want. Then when you have completed that section there should be a return label paper that you print out from your email. It is a fedex paper. The returns should be free.

By Linda L.

Be sure to refer to the sizing chart for your size. Also keep in mind that some items are in European or Asian sizes. Be sure to read the full desription of the item to know if you need to size up or down.

By Karen K.

Stop staring.

By Karen K.

Since ModCloth has so many different brands and designers on their site, the best thing to do is to look at the reviews on each item and compare your measurements. Some things I've bought fit large and some fit small, so the reviews are really the best way to ensure accurate sizing.

By Jennifer B.

Questions? Get answers from the ModCloth staff and other customers.

9 Photos for ModCloth