Review of ModCloth

San Francisco, CA 94107, US
support@modcloth.com

amandar377
3/2/19

Yet again inflated prices for double digit sizes and sub-par quality. I will say that the styles and options at Mod put them above other plus size online retainers

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Amanda. Thank you for taking the time to reach out, and for your honest feedback. Please know that I have shared your words with the appropriate teams. In the meantime, if you ever need any assistance with product, our expert ModStylists are happy to help. You can reach them at modcloth.com/modstylists.
jenniferw510
1/13/19

I purchased a huge wool coat and a few other items. I only bought the coat bc I saw that they offer free returns. When the items came, the coat was HUGE. It is not at all what I expected. In the box was a fedex return label. I called customer service bc where I live, there is no fedex drop off aside from drop boxes, and this is a HUGE box. She said that within 24 hours the warehouse would be emailing me a usps label. It never came. Two days later, after emailing to say never receiveced, someone emailed me the "label" only when I opened their attachment, it just took me to their website about how to return via fedex. So now it appears that I am going to have to pay over 20 to send back this item due to their apparently being unable to provide a return label that I can use. It is a shame because they have some really cute clothes. I was hoping this would be a long-term relationship, but that cannot happen now. Had I known I would have to pay the large shipping price for the coat, I would never have taken the chance. I emailed the csr back and said that the attachment didn't work, but I am very doubtful that I will ever get my usps label from Modcloth. So unless my item will fit in a fedex drop box, I cannot order there again. Not worth the additional expense and all the trouble.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Jennifer. I apologize for any inconvenience! I hope that you were able to get in touch with our Customer Care team to receive that label. We are always able to provide free USPS return labels, if FedEx is not an option, so it sounds like there may have been some technical difficulties here. In any case, please know that I have shared your feedback with the appropriate teams.
bettyb175
12/17/18

I was wondering why my order wasn't shipping, googled "ModCloth shipping taking forever" and landed here. Looks like I'm in good company. Good luck, friends!
Bless the poor woman whose job it is to respond to all of these reviews. I know it's not her fault. But ModCloth, c'mon. This isn't your first rodeo. Blaming this shipping debacle on the (annual and predictably busy) holiday season is pretty ridiculous at this point. Just admit "we f@#*&ed up" and get better.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Betty. Thank you for reaching out. I apologize for any inconvenience with that shipping delay. We did receive a larger-than-normal influx of orders during the holiday season. Please rest assured that we are taking steps to prevent delays like these in the future!
lmaries
12/8/18

I must echo the many, many reviews on this site that have reported slow processing times, issues with shipping, and slow-to-respond "Customer Care." I have ordered from ModCloth twice and while my experiences haven't been as negative as a few of the ones posted here, I am really displeased with the way ModCloth treats their customers. It's been a week since my most recent order and I still don't have shipping information.

The last time I ordered, it took as long to get shipping information, which was changed on the day I was supposed to receive my package. I got it the next day. About three days after my order, when I hadn't gotten shipping information, I inquired as to the whereabouts of my package via email and got a response on the very day I finally received my order. Chats and phone calls to ModCloth were utter wastes of time. So, if you do have an issue, you're likely to wait for some attention from "Customer Care."

The clothes are cute, but perhaps overpriced. I didn't pay full price, however, so I can't complain personally. I waited until there was a sale.

In general, I'm pretty unsatisdied with the service and don't expect to order from ModCloth again.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi there. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience! Please know that I have shared your feedback with the appropriate teams. We know that this past holiday season was incredibly busy, and processing took much longer than what is typical for ModCloth. Please rest assured that we are always looking for ways to prevent large delays in the future. Our Customer Care team did receive high message volumes during that time, but responses should be quicker, moving forward. You can always reach our team at modcloth.com/help from 8am-11pm EST Monday-Friday, and 8am-9pm EST Saturday-Sunday. I apologize, again, for any disappointment.
colleenc104
12/8/18

I ordered an item for a Christmas gift. 2 weeks later checking order status shows order cancelled. Chat operator reports that item is out of stock. Unable to answer why it took 2 weeks to discover this or why it would let me order my item initially. I was offered 20% off next order. I declined an unsubscribed them. It's 2018 and there are many reputable online professional companies. This is not one of them.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Colleen. Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience with your order. Oversales are not too frequent on our site, but they do happen occasionally, particularly during large sale times, like this past holiday season. Please know that we are always working to improve upon this, and I will certainly share your feedback with the right teams.
erinb159
12/7/18

A week ago, I purchased two dresses for a work- related event being held tonight. Last night (one day shy of a week post- order) I was informed that my order had not shipped and no date was given as to when it would ship. The 10% off "gift" offered by Modcloth (to make things better) seemed like a slap in the face- considering the fact that I now have nothing to wear- and was not given any time to come up with something. At the very least, I could have been notified earlier- thereby giving me time enough to find something else. Instead, what I received as an empty apology and a mere pittance off that can't make up for the stress and frustration caused by a company that obiously should not be in business . Stay away from Modcloth!

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Erin. Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I sincerely apologize for any trouble with this order. I know that the shipping delays during this past holiday season were frustrating, and I am very sorry for the disappointment. Please rest assured that I have shared your words with the appropriate team, and if there is anything we can do to help, we'll be glad to assist at modcloth.com/help.
allyl9
12/7/18

Ordered 11/27 (today is December 7th) and it is STILL processing. What is there to process? If you try to speak to a rep you will be put on hold for hours. I emailed as well (yesterday) and still have not received a response. I don't mind a long wait, I would just like a little communication as to what is going on. I used to love this store, but it really has fallen off. I am super disappointed.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Ally. Thank you for reaching out. I sincerely apologize for the frustration with this order, and for any trouble with getting in touch with our team. Last holiday season did bring large delays, and caused our Customer Care team to get behind in response times. Please know that I have shared your feedback with our team, and we are working to ensure future delays like this don't occur.
sq8
12/6/18

Item never delivered and charged delivery and taxes when called to complain! Refused to give anything but store credit for an item NEVER DELIVERED. Wow. What do you think? Do I really need to say more?

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience with your previous order. Please know that I have shared your feedback with the appropriate teams. If you have any outstanding questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at modcloth.com/help. We're always happy to assist with how you may be able to get in touch with your customs/duties office to be refunded for fees on an item you did not receive.
natalies177
12/3/18

888 is always over 60 minutes, chat doesn't work, robot doesn't load so can't even write. Ordered a pair of shoes which still haven't arrived, and am unable to contact them to cancel. Horrible company. Buy somewhere else.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Natalie. I'm very sorry for any inconvenience or disappointing experience. I know that this past holiday season saw some long wait times with getting in touch with our team, as well as heavy shipping delays. Please know that these are not typical of ModCloth, and we are always working to prevent them in the future. I will certainly share your feedback with the appropriate teams, and if you have any other questions or concerns, our Customer Care team is always happy to assist, at modcloth.com/help.
terryc219
12/3/18

I ordered a gift for my daughter. i paid extra to have it shipped in 2 -3 days so it would arrive in time for her birthday. When I went to check on the status online, it said the page wasn't available. I had to wait for Chat for 45 minutes. The agent told me it hadn't shipped yet and that the shipping time was different than the processing time. There is no way to track the packages. I too wish I had read the reviews first. I won't do business there again.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Terry. Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. Please know that the wait times and shipping delays seen this past holiday season are not typical of ModCloth, and we are always working to avoid them during future busy seasons. I hope that your package arrived safely, but please don't hesitate to let our Customer Care team know if you have any other questions or concerns. You can reach them at modcloth.com/help. In the meantime, please rest assured that I have shared your feedback with the appropriate teams.
missb20
11/29/18

Service reps are trash as well as the quality of their clothing. ModCloth really fell off. Last time I will be shopping on their website.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out. I sincerely apologize for any disappointing experiences you may have had with us in the past. Please know that I will share your feedback with the appropriate teams. In the meantime, our Customer Care team is always happy to assist with any questions or concerns you may have. You can reach them at modcloth.com/help.
hannahg63
10/22/18

So I bought one of their dresses because I was bridesmaid in a wedding. However, after I wore it once in a really hot, summer wedding, somehow my sweat dyed the dress. And even though it was PAST the return date, they still allowed me to return it and gave me back store credit to buy something else which was awesome. So their customer service was awesome and I'm so thankful.

kittycatc
10/17/18

I made several purchases recently and returned a couple of items from each, new and unworn. I've only received a refund on ONE item from a two-item return so far with no explanation of WHY. I hope I get the refunds on the other two. I did keep copies of everything, but, I am hacked off. Also, they forgot to put an item in one of the orders. When they miss something, they have ALL THE TIME in the world, but, if you're returning something, you better hurry your butt up and cross your fingers you'll get your refund at all. And, they are overpriced. So overpriced. Needless to say, I am DOWN on Modcloth. This world is FULL of other and better places to shop. I'm going to shop at some of them. I'm done with Modcloth. Done.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or disappointment with your past returns. I do hope that you received your refunds for those additional items, but if you did not, our Customer Care team would definitely like to look into that for you. You can reach them at modcloth.com/help. We're also always happy to assist with any items missing from orders- we never want to leave you without an item that you ordered with us.
samanthap125
9/29/18

I was going to be a modcloth customer for life until they posted false return times for their return policy. I got horribly misshapen clothes and returned them within the time frame of the policy. they have had the cloths back for 2WEEKS! AND I STILL DONT HAVE MY MONEY BACK! The representative spouted something about "its out of our hands and in visa's now" are you kidding? thats what you call customer service? when your policy clearly states 5-7 business days on your website?? NEVER WILL WASTE MY TIME AGAIN!

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi there, Samantha. I sincerely apologize for any trouble with your previous refund. We do process returns within 5-7 business days, but it can occasionally take a bank or card company a little more time to receive and process the funds on their end. I do hope you received your funds back, but if not, please reach out to our team right away, at modcloth.com/help. We will be glad to provide any information needed, so that you can show proof of refund/return to your bank or card company. In the meantime, please rest assured that I have shared your feedback with the appropriate teams.
willief26
9/20/18

I have been waiting for my order and thought I'd check the tracking. Couldn't find it. Couldn't find my order whether I was logged in or not by the order number. Started a chat (took forever to get a response..that's ok, they're busy, I guess) he finally found my order but it had not even begun to ship yet. Was hoping to wear the bell-bottom jeans to my upcoming high school reunion but that doesn't look like it will happen. The guy says it is shipping today so we shall see. I hope the item actually gets here and isn't junk like so many here have said. I'll check back in later to tell you how it turns out.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Willie. I apologize for the wait with your previous order! I do hope that you received the package, and in plenty of time for your event. Packages typically only take a couple of business days to leave our facility, but during heavy sale or promo periods, that can take a bit longer. Please rest assured that I have shared your feedback with the appropriate team. If there is anything we can do to assist with anything else, please don't hesitate to reach out to Customer Care at modcloth.com/help.
perlav2
9/16/18

I think their clothes is super cute until you wash them... or even dry clean them. Then they fall apart.. dedefinitely not worth the price.

alexism113
9/10/18

Clothes this past year have been the same ugly dresses over and over again in even uglier prints. Total waste of time shopping through here anymore. They used to make super cute clothes last year. But 2018 has not been good to them. Quality and consistency have gone way down.

elsab22
9/9/18

I returned a very expensive dress in april this year that coasted 250 dollars and they still haven't given my money back.
DO NOT SHOP THERE! They lie and refuse to refund.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi there, Elsa. I apologize for any trouble with receiving your refund. We process returns within about 5-7 business days after they are received. If you still have not seen a refund for your item, our Customer Care team can certainly look into that for you, as we never want to leave you empty-handed for something that was returned to us. Our team is available at modcloth.com/help from 8am-11pm EST Monday-Friday, and 8am-9pm EST Saturday-Sunday.
elysej3
9/7/18

I bought a dress for $90, and it began falling apart the first time I wore it. Modcloth issued me a 20% refund, but as the dress kept unravelling, I got angry that I have even paid ~$70 for such awful quality. The customer service folks at Modcloth--seemingly all recent college grads with no real skills--refused to do any more for me, even after I sent photos of the unravelling and missing buttons (after wearing the dress about 5 times, only!).
I will never buy from Modcloth again. They have absolutely no pride in their products, and no value of their customers.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Elyse. Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience, and any disappointment regarding that product. Please know that I have shared your feedback with the appropriate team, and we are always working to improve our clothing quality, to make it the best possible. If you have any outstanding questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to send us an email at caresocialteam@modcloth.com. We'll be happy to see if there is anything else we can do to assist.
maryb894
7/27/18

I returned an item that did not fit. I did not get a cash refund (read the very fine print). They promised a gift certificate which was not received. There seems to be no way to contact them directly to fix this. I would say I am dealing with a company that has a lack of transparency. Not cool.

order #201320484

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Mary. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience regarding your return. I do see that you were able to reach out to our Customer Care team, who sent your gift card information on 7/30/18. I hope you received that info. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to our team at modcloth.com/help. For security purposes, we would recommend removing the portion of your review that includes your order number, as we wouldn't want your personal order information to be posted publicly. Please let us know if we can do anything else to assist.
janee108
6/23/18

I purchased a Navy Blue maxi dress for my daughters wedding in July.
I went to alter the length of the dress and it was 2 inches shorter on one side. It's like they slapped the bottom of the dress together without measuring and called it good. It's too late to return for me.
Be aware of what you are buying online!
This place is not good if you want a good dress the same length!

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi there, Jane. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience! This is definitely something we'll want to report to our product team, as it sounds like there may have been a manufacturer issue. Please know that we will share this feedback, and we will work to avoid instances like this in the future. If you have any other questions or concerns, our Customer Care team is always happy to assist, at modcloth.com/help.
jessicau12
6/12/18

I figured the only thing good that would come out of them being bought by Walmart was more affordability but I thought wrong. I hadn't visited the site since Walmart but always loved Modcloth's swim selection. The swimwear costs are higher than ever before with no discounts to be found anywhere. The dillema of forking over 100 dollars or more on a swimsuit stressed me out so much, that I just closed the webpage and decided I would just head to target again this year.

morgand49
6/11/18

It seems that most of the negative reviews are coming from customers outside the US having to deal with extra customs costs. As a US customer, none of those are applicable. Their customer service has been fantastic and my overall experience is very positive. I love the selection of unique and quirky items they carry. However, I deducted a star simply because of how long it takes them to process returns and exchanges. It takes about a week (possibly more depending on the speed of the shipping source) for them to receive it, but THEN it can take another SEVERAL weeks to process. When youve put in to exchange for a different size and/or color, this can be very frustrating because by the time theyve processed it, the particular size/color you requested may have sold out. But even if this isnt a concern because youre just doing a regular return, it seems like it takes forever to see that refund come in. The other reason I deducted a star is because they dont run sales very much and are chintzy with their coupons. Most other retailers I shop with are very generous with the amount of sales they run and the frequency and amount of coupons they send out, but its a rare occasion to receive a ModCloth coupon. So, they get four stars for their quality items and their great customer service, but they lose a star for their minuscule sales and coupons, and for taking about the same amount of time to process returns and exchanges it takes to watch paint dry.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Morgan. Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Please rest assured that I will share your feedback regarding returns and exchanges with the appropriate team! I know that exchanges, in particular, can be a frustrating wait. There is an option available called a "quick exchange", which can certainly speed up the process! It involves re-ordering and returning, and our Customer Care team would assist with that, to ensure you receive the same price on the new item, as you did on the original. It is definitely a good option, if you're on a time crunch for a new size/color! Our team can also give more details, if you'd like to reach out to them at modcloth.com/help.
kaseyk10
5/10/18

I am writing this and I never write reviews on places BUT this is so CRAZY!!! I ordered a dress on April 29th 2018 and I opted for the 7-9 business day shipping because I have a wedding on May 12th to go to! I track the package and it says that it will be here on Wednesday 5/9/2018 and I am thinking great! Then it changes!!!! Now it is not going to be here until the 12th in the evening time! This is so crazy I called Mod Cloth and they handled it terribly and they said!!!! Well there is a warning in fine print and I said well I would have NEVER opted to buy it had I known you guys don't speak the truth don't trust them just get everything you buy somewhere else and the quality of what they provide is NOT good. Mod Cloth is a scam and they don't care about their customers at all.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Kasey. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience with your previous order. I know that waiting for a package to arrive can be frustrating, if it is taking longer than expected. Please rest assured that I have shared your feedback with our team, and we are always working to make the shipping process easier for our customers. If you have any other questions or concerns, our Customer Care team would be happy to assist. You can reach them at modcloth.com/help.
mikaelac
4/20/18

THIS IS A WARNING TO ALL CUSTOMERS,
I would would not ever recommend buying from Modcloth, after 3 months I finally received my products and after 2 times of trying to ship my items and not succeeding due to the format of the address form not being right, and having to return the products and buy again I lost a lot of money just from being a Canadian and having the inflation rate of the dollar I didn't get full refund of the products. I also was not able to receive most of the products wanted because of them selling out and i had to order them again. And after waiting for my product for over a few months I had to pay over $150 for customs. I would recommend buying from Urban Outfitter where they ship right to your door and will refund the right amount of money always no matter what currency you are paying with.

Response from Taten S., ModCloth Representative
Hi, Mikaela. I'm very sorry for any inconvenience with your past orders. It certainly sounds like this was a disappointing experience, which we never want for our shoppers. Please know that I have shared your feedback with the appropriate teams. In the meantime, we are working to improve the shopping and shipping experience for our International customers, and a solution should be in place for that, very, very soon! Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. We're always happy to assist at modcloth.com/help.

The quality is about 80% rubbish (based on 10 purchases and only keeping 2 items). Hardly any of the dresses are lined and they're made with very cheap fabric, they're also way more expensive than they used to be but the quality hasn't improved. The stitching is usually uneven and the cloth cuts are terrible. You have to pay to return things, and from Australia it often costs more in postage to return something than the item itself, so I wouldn't bother.

By Erin C.

Honestly, based on my bad experience with modcloth I vote no. Theit clothes and accessories are overpriced. I have ordered a lot of stuff from modcloth over the years and the material their products and some of their clothes are being made of cheap low quality material. I had to learn the hard way modcloth is kinda of a middle man. They purchase certain types of items/accessories and clothes from smaller mom and pop companies, and from overseas (China). Then, they jack up the price and sell it for way more than what it's worth and what they bought it for. Some of their clothes I discovered on other websites for less. Others are actually from real well known companies in Europe.

By BuySavvy B.

Yes, there are full cash refunds and online store credit for the returns. It is annoying, but you would go into the purchase history and there is a section to return whatever items you want. Then when you have completed that section there should be a return label paper that you print out from your email. It is a fedex paper. The returns should be free.

By Linda L.

Great quality. I always read what fabric an item is so that I know what I'm getting. Been a modcloth customer for five years. Only once have I gotten a dress of poor quality. A black and white polka sorted dress labeled machine wash bled during washing.

By Karen K.

Be sure to refer to the sizing chart for your size. Also keep in mind that some items are in European or Asian sizes. Be sure to read the full desription of the item to know if you need to size up or down.

Stop staring.

By Karen K.

Since ModCloth has so many different brands and designers on their site, the best thing to do is to look at the reviews on each item and compare your measurements. Some things I've bought fit large and some fit small, so the reviews are really the best way to ensure accurate sizing.

By Jennifer B.

Questions? Get answers from the ModCloth staff and other customers.

1 Photo for ModCloth