Spectrum

Spectrum has a consumer rating of 1 star from 26 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Spectrum also ranks 46th among Cable Television sites. The most common issues with Spectrum are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• They're internet connection is awful and not only that but their customer service is by far the worst of any company.
  • After 30 minutes with her (with no progress or clue), the cable suddenly comes on.
How would you rate Spectrum?

“Predatory Pricing for Seniors”

Just A.
6/17/20

Spectrum has a policy of ripping off seniors! They've come to the genius conclusion that older people are less able to cut the cord. Tech-challenged and all that. So they keep boosting their already outrageous prices, especially in areas where they have a monopoly. Some of us are fighting them, focussing on getting competitors into our neighborhoods. Suggest everyone do the same.

customer service (10) 30 minutes (3)
justa37
June 17th, 2020
byronh60
May 3rd, 2020
Dealing with problems for 2 months, switched to another vendor [WOW] - better connection less price. Trouble cancelling service, would NEVER do business with them again.
jessieg61
July 1st, 2020
I asked spectrum to install a landline phone they was advertising it for $9.99 a month. I notice my bill they was charging me $19.99 when I called and got through they said it was a mistake by Spectrum but they wouldn't credit the $30.00 back to my account
I'm a senior citizen on a fixed income to take $30.00 from me with a just I'm sorry I never expected from Spectrum
nathanm263
May 7th, 2020
I don't even know where to begin! I have had spectrum for many years and I have regretted it from the very first moment. They're internet connection is awful and not only that but their customer service is by far the worst of any company. I have been having my internet cut in and out for almost 6 months now. I spoke to a representative and they confirmed this and that was it. They told me they would look into it and absolutely nothing happened. This is a joke of a company as a whole. The only reason they are in business is because they have a monopoly over all other providers. Most people don't have any other option but to settle for your horrible services. If I could I would give negative stars, (one star is too much of a praise). I am warning all potential customers, STAY AWAY from spectrum, unless you want to be constantly angry and annoyed. YOU WILL REGRET PAYING YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY FOR A SERVICE THAT IS WEAKER THAN DIAL UP. I WARNED YOU!
joeg495
February 23rd, 2020
I have no premium channels, no DVR, no internet. I do have a home land line with them. My bill has gone up again another $8.00 making it $150.68. By SPECTRUM HELLO DISH
timmyc19
July 31st, 2020
I'm used to be with Time Warner Cable but since Charter purchased the company it has gotten downhill. The customer service is awful and should be avoided.

Tip for consumers: If Verizon FIOS is in your area,buy it instead of Spectrum. It has a better channel selection and a way better DVR.

corettal
May 10th, 2020
I contacted the company after a fraudulent account was set up in my name. I got the phone number *******135) of the person who set it up and their address. The person is currently receiving 2 months free internet using my information for this address: 426 S HANOVER ST CAPE GIRARDEAU MO 63703-6749

Before the company sent out the package to have the internet set up, I called them. The same day the account was set up, I contacted them. A phone number was on file that I didn't recognize. The person went online to set up the package they received so they know what they are doing. Despite numerous complaints the account was not deleted. So I changed the number on file and billing preference until I can have this issue resolved. I won't know what credit card information was stolen until two months from now. None of the representatives were able to give me the last four digits of the account or anything. This is the worst company that I have ever heard about. To actively participate in fraud should be a reason for them to shut down. They are fully aware of the situation but they don't care. As long as they receive the money. This is disgusting and a shame and should not be happening.
zafarm2
April 21st, 2020
Gouging and taking advantage of situation, no customer service, just unauthorized charges.
They don't let you disconnect service when you move to a different service.
mattc355
May 19th, 2020
On Friday, May 15th 2020, I was in my home minding my own business when I heard the doorbell. I went to the door, and saw a charter spectrum agent named Eric Proladocfer standing at the door. I answered the door to ask what he needed. He started to try to sell his products to me. In the middle of his spiel, he spat in the middle of my yard... that's right... he spat in the middle of my yard while a pandemic is running wild through the country. I got his information, and contacted the charter spectrum location on 5543 Grove Blvd, Hoover, AL 35226.

At this time, I spoke to who was supposed to be Eric's manager, Chris Davis. I told Chris about what happened, and he said that he would talk to his manager about the incident (I thought he was the manager?) and get back to me no later than Monday (05/18/2020) afternoon. I never received a call from anyone. Now, I'm leaving this review. I guess this company doesn't care about their employees spitting on people's property. Even during a pandemic. Hopefully the kids in the neighborhood that play in my yard sometimes didn't step in it.

Tip for consumers: Stay away from this company. They don't care about you or your health.

taraneej
March 11th, 2020
I have ongoing issues with my cable box. It constantly scrambles the picture and tone. When I call in, it takes a long time to trouble shoot. I have to climb up to unplug the box each time for them to reboot. I was told it happens a lot if the boxes are getting updated. It's very disruptive to my day and very time- consuming. This is by far the worst service I ever received, and I lived in NM, VA and FL. Then they give you a lousy refund of maybe 3$ I pay almost 200$ month, this is so unacceptable. They do not take care of their customers, only interested in collecting money. Some are outright rude! I spoke today to tech support, the lady was friendly and promised me to warm transfer to billing, which she DIDN'T! She cold transferred me to billing. I explained having issues since 3 days, she just gave me 3$ discount. Then I asked for the corporate mailing, phone or email and the rep told me, that's not available. You got to be kidding me. I wanted to write a formal letter of complaint for the disruptive service. The Spectrum operator # was 1069. I also asked for the name to be changed to my name only, instead my son and I, and I wanted them to add my phone #, of course this wasn't taken care of either. I'm so annoyed with Spectrum, who clearly don't care about their customers. I'm looking into Frontier and Hughes net as well as satellite TV at this point. They don't take accountability, just money from the customer. 1 time 3$ off almost 200$ per months bill? What a joke. Also considering filing with the BBB.
rayg50
February 6th, 2020
Cable companies are terrible anyway, but this one is the worst I've experienced in my life. I moved and really liked the place, except they have a contract with Charter/Spectrum; no choices. I asked lots of questions from the complex management and of course they couldn't tell the truth, because they didn't know the truth or didn't want me making my decision based on this cable company.

As much as I fussed & fought with Xfinity for 7+ years, I'd read reviews about this company a year or two ago and was horrified. I wanted to replace Xfinity because of the consistent rise in cost, poor service, and a school got built across the street that caused our services to go out constantly. Those employees didn't want to work on the weekend, so if we lost it on Friday, it wouldn't be back up until Monday morning.

Back to Charter/Spectrum, OMG! I went to pick up my equipment and thought I was in the wrong place. It looked like a check-cashing office without the bulletproof glass (or did it have that glass?). When I asked questions of the employees, they had no clue about anything. I guess their only purpose was to hand out equipment, which is probably the only thing they were good at. Don't have to pay people much for that.

When it came time to hook up my equipment, it wasn't plug-n-play; none of it. I had to call in for the internet, and the equipment is large with extremely huge AC plugs at the end of the chords. No 2-for-1 routers, but 2 separate boxes (1 modem/1 router); taking up too much space and I use UPS boxes for all my equipment. The AC plugs are so large, they wanted to cover up 2 plugs in my UPS box, so one is in the wall. I have a limited number of plugs in my expensive UPS box, and OH NO they're not covering up ones I need for MY equipment. I don't care they recommend using surge protectors. Unless they provide them, I'm not buying one just for these cheaply-made boxes.

When I moved in, I hooked up the TV in my bedroom and took a couple of days before I did in the living room; Basic service. The Smart TV in my living room kept wanting me to subscribe to all the channels. I made at least 3 calls to customer service who said there was a service-outage in the area. I told them if that was the case, the TV in my bedroom wouldn't be working, so nonsense. Customer service was rude, and tossing around lingo that they didn't know I already understood, i. E., nodes. I told them nodes are not particular to outlets inside my apartment, but to entire areas, so stop blowing smoke up my you-know-what. On the last call, someone finally said that their system thought I only had 1 box, not 2. I asked how that could happen since I picked up 2 boxes at their check-cashing-looking office? He couldn't explain, but switched it online.

I noticed immediately that my soundbar would not sync up with the cable box. It synced up with my smart hub and my blue-ray player, so it was their box causing all the trouble. Another call to tech support, and I was treated rudely again. I was told their only function was to get me the equipment, but they were not equipped to deal with entertainment systems; nonsense again. I was so infuriated, I asked for their corporate phone number or email. That guy said they didn't have one, which I called bull-crap on that. When my services were finally up, I found every corporate executives' email addresses and sent a long letter to them. I would put all that in here, but it would take up too much space.

I got calls from several people to get senior technicians to come to my home and resolve the issue, and that's what happened. They did have people who could deal with it, so why did that tech say they couldn't? Lazy or inexperienced, and this kind of thing is going on with all cable companies and other kinds of businesses. Capitalism is turning into one big monster, where too many front-line people aren't even in the U.S. and if they are, they are untrained to do their jobs properly.

Even though I like this place, I will not stay here and get stuck with Charter-Spectrum, who has a bulk deal with this complex. We have no choice and pay for it out of our rent; their Basic service of TV & Internet; not even phone. For that, we have to deal with the company directly and pay them in a separate bill. I got a DVR, and even that thing is legacy-looking; nothing you can read on the box and recording programs on-the-spot ends up chopping them off before the program ends. You have to get in there after pushing record and extend the program. At least Xfinity technology was smart enough to automatically extend programming for movies & sports.

Three days ago, the box in my bedroom suddenly stopped working, and again, the people answering the phone couldn't handle it or fix it. Another technician sent to my home. The night they were supposed to come, I get a call that the tech in my area was too backed up, and I had to reschedule for the next day. UGH! He finally shows up an hour late, and when all was said and done, he called whatever number he has for senior tech support who tweaked something and made the box come on. Now, why couldn't they have passed me to that one, instead of wasting my valuable time to have someone come out here? Double, triple, quadruple UGH!

Can't talk into this remote, the ones they had to give me to solve the soundbar problem don't light up, and my DVR doesn't bounce a signal to the box in my bedroom, so I don't have to pay for another DVR in there. Archaic, I tell you. They're charging too much for this thing, too, so I won't be upgrading my services anymore. Light years behind Xfinity. To say I'm unhappy with this service is an understatement. All the networks in this area are fighting with the FCC, and Time Warner being purchased by Charter-Spectrum is a big mistake for customers. I've been with at least 5-6 different cable companies since cable began, so I speak from experience when I say this one is the worst of them all.
km611
October 10th, 2019
I have had Spectrum for my internet service for almost a decade. As some reviewers have stated I have always gotten slower speeds than I was paying for but didn't complain as I was never sure if it was my hardware v. their connections. Otherwise I was reasonably happy with their service as I use them for home and business use.

I recently moved and now I understand all of the negative reviews. For over two months Spectrum continued to apply my payments to the old residence which had been switched to someone else's name and intermittently turn off my service claiming that I was late in my payments. I spoke with 4 or 5 different people there including 2 managers all of whom assured me that they had fixed the issue and would soon follow up with me to confirm. I never got a single call back from any of them and they continued turning off my service every two to three weeks. I literally overpaid the bill just to have my service on since it is critical for me for work purposes and they continued adding on late and service fees even though I was overpaid the error was completely on Spectrum. The last manager I spoke with (Curtis) did a wonderful job of being professional and thorough and complete in addressing the issue but it has only been ten days or so and I'm fully expecting the late calls and for them to turn off my service again within the next few weeks. I am looking diligently for a new provider as we speak. I have never experienced such incompetence and frankly what appears to be just a lack of concern for the customer in my life.
anthonyb67
September 8th, 2019
Been on hold for almost two hours now. Even since the switch from Time Warner to spectrum, the internet and customer service has been terrible. I am on the Nextdoor app and the neighborhood consensus seems to be the same... See photo of how long I have been on hold...
katiet70
July 26th, 2018
Absolutely disgusted with this company! Cable and internet are HORRIBLE! 4th day in a row with screen turning black (on all tvs) for 15 minutes up to an hour! Can see guide and info but no picture! First night on hold for 40 minutes before I hung up! Last night got through to a nice tech who said he see exactly what Im talking about and its surges on my block. Someone coming tomorrow but I pay over 200.00 a month for garbage! Have to turn off WiFi on phones to even be able to pick up signal! Otherwise it takes forever to load!
Definitely looking into different cable options!

THE WORST! Grade: F
malkys1
October 29th, 2018
Let's be clear about this... DO NOT GET SPECTRUM! You'll F'sure regret it!
I wish I can give them ZERO stars...
blainel11
August 20th, 2018
If I could have selected zero stars I would have. I have now completed two complaint letters via land mail which included photos and have received absolutely no response after several months. We attempted to watch the Olympics, the Tour De France, World Cup Soccer and Racing events. Any pictures that have motion will consistently break up into large tiles on Spectrum's DVR. We paid good money on a top of the line Samsung HDTV but Spectrum can't deliver a signal that is not compressed to an extent where it does not break up all the time. If you are watching a National Park video with beautiful aerial camera work it will look like a stuttering jerky series of frames. We have had it with their ridiculous prices and poor product. Customer service is a zero. VHS would be better.
adab18
October 5th, 2018
IF I COULD GIVEN THEM A ZERRO STAR I WOULD, GONNA MAKE THIS SHORT AND SWEET. STAY AWAY FROM SPECTRUM.

HORRIBLE CABLE SERVICE
HORRIBLE INTERNET
HORRIBLE REMOTE CONTROLS
HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

WILL BE GOING TO DIFFERENT PROVIDER.

THEY BUMP UP YOUR BILL EVERY YEAR, I JUST WANT CABLE SERVICE, I DONT WANT TO BUY THE COMPANY
barbarat85
November 26th, 2018
Nothing like trying to watch a movie & the screen freeze or the voices are with the picture.
On top of that you try the guide to change channels you get the error ( grey box) I really miss time warner NEVER had problems
dadc
February 22nd, 2018
So what's new, another evening of the TV and the internet cycling off and on over and over. Customer noService phone tree is a joke, only serves to make us customers angry.
ilonaf3
June 30th, 2018
Warning if you have family members working for spectrum and you have problems with your account they will fire your family.
waynes94
July 14th, 2018
• Updated review
Did I mention that Spectrum is horrible? I'll keep this short because it's beating a dead horse. I handed in a receiver today as I was told by a representative the policy had changed and I no longer needed it and could still receive cable using my ROKU. I come home AND THE CABLE IS OFF! I call Sprectum and told me that I DO have to have the receiver (even though I don't use it) and cable can't be turned on until I get another receiver! I signed up with the streaming plan (no receiver needed) and asked to be transferred for a possible credit. That rep. Tells me I CAN have regular cable without the receiver and she would give me that. After 20 minutes she says it's set up, but I can't log on. So she sends me to Customer Tech. Who barely speaks English, doesn't understand the issue, can't help at all. After 30 minutes with her (with no progress or clue), the cable suddenly comes on. Can't wait to see my bill when it updates, I'm sure that will be SNAFU too.
Worst Service Ever
June 26th, 2018
• Previous review
I can't believe this company has the audacity to present itself in commercials as a well run company. I've never had such poor service for any industry, both cable and their customer service. Cable service constantly cuts out (with the app) or is completely down (all across the country today). And "NO", it's not my ROKU device. All other apps work fine, and many others are posting issues. After my "special Offer" expires, I'll be looking for an alternative TV service, Sling, DirectTV now, etc. I had Sling for a few months with no problems. Goodbye soon Spectrum, I hardly knew you (and don't want to know anymore!)
rainak2
January 2nd, 2019
I moved to Ohio few months ago and my husband got us Spectrum for internet and cable. He went with the 89.99 deal. They messed up the days for installation my husband came in from Florida early to be here and they didn't show. They were oh sooo sorry and waved the install fee! We get a bill for over 300.00 a week or so later. We call they knew nothing of waving fees which we paid in end! Our bill is 179.00 a month when we ask where our 89.99 deal is we get BS runaround from the beyond RUDE customer service! They are Criminals THEY LIE TO GET YOU TO USE THERE SERVICE. I DO NOT BELIEVE THEY HAVE AN 89.99 Deal they LIE and say they do then you get a 179.00 monthly bill AND HAVE NOT GOT A STRAIGHT ANSWER FROM ANYONE THE 7 or so times we've called! Whoever is responsible for the scamming and false offers to the public should be BEHIND BARS THATS WHERE CRIMANALS BELONG! They should not be allowed to get away with this. Yes I will switch companies but doesn't make what they've done right. And I will bring an attorney into it if need be if my bill isn't alll waved As to where I owe them nothing! I had my issues with Comcast in past but NOTHING like this garbage with Spectrum. I wonder if can get a class action lawsuit started against this disgusting company! I would love to see the company fold. Would be sad for any decent workers there but would love the money hungry disgusting higher up to lose everything! Would love to send this to the ceo. But I am sure he's busy spending the money he cons outta people! Karma is a $#*!!
stephanier222
September 5th, 2018
They don't tell you on the day you install service that you have, a billing statement being cut the day its Installed. My first bill arrived to my home two weeks after installation already showed me as, having two payments and one being late (payment is due by 29th and final payment prior to shut off is the 8th). I received my bill 15th. When i called they told me it appears like this and its fine. I would have until the 8th of month to pay my bill for that month. When i called i informed them i couldn't make payment til 6th@ 9am. I was informed that this is fine as its prior to 8th. Today is the 5th and they turned my stuff off. This company is a total joke. I work as a contact center supervisor and no way would I tell a person one thing and do the opposite. They don't explain anything about the bill or explain why there is miscommunication from their end. All they do is apologize and tell you nothing can be done. You can't charge someone a service they haven't used yet. I am canceling services after my contract with them and going back to a, company that stands by their word and explains billing better with a person PRIOR to services being installed.
elizabethw75
October 8th, 2017
The salesman out and out LIED to me to get me to switch from Dish Network! I told him it was PIVOTAL on my decision that external hard drives can be used with their boxes, and he said ALL boxes can be used with ALL hard drives! He said I could use external hard drives with their boxes. LIE! Only certain external hard drives will work with them, the cable installer knew NOTHING about external hard drives and spent 30 minutes trying to convert me to HIS religion, not helping me with their services If I knew then what I know now, I would have NEVER switched services. Most of the salespeople have been rude save a couple of them, far inferior to Dish!
maryj792
July 17th, 2019
Here is a cut and paste of my chat tonight. I have deleted personal info. I have TWO accounts with them unfortunately. They are totally useless. Still can't get Internet to work at the second house. After I asked to speak with a supervisor, "Jasmine" disconnected me.

Welcome! An agent should reply within 2 minutes

Chat
You are now connected to Ask Spectrum

Read
Hi, how can I help you today? I can answer questions about your Spectrum products and services, or transfer you to an agent for more assistance.

Read
I can help you quickly with most issues without waiting for an agent.
Ask a brief question like the examples below:
How to get a New Remote Control
How to make a payment
Problems Logging In

Customer service

Read
To connect with a representative select "Live Chat". If you need additional assistance call us at *******357.
Launch Live Chat

Launch Live Chat
You are being transferred to another agent. An agent should reply within 2 minutes.
You are now connected to Joshua M.

Read
Hello! My name is Joshua and welcome to Spectrum's billing chat!

Read
Will be more than happy to assist with your question or concern to find a resolution today and thank you so much for the previous information you had entered!

Read
How are you this evening xxx, did we have a good day there?
Jul 17,6:35 PM

Read
I have two accounts. For some reason, my first account does not contain any information any longer
Jul 17,6:35 PM

Read
Apologies for the inconvenience then, but happy to help review what might be going on there

Read
What is the other address?

Xxxx

Read
Thank you and which one is showing nothing when you try to login

Xxxxx
Jul 17,6:37 PM

Jul 17,6:37 PM

Read
Please bear with me just a moment to poke around here
Jul 17,6:38 PM

Read
OK. And that's not even why I am contacting you.
Jul 17,6:39 PM

Read
When I login onto the My Account it fully populates with the information so must be an issue with the page communicating with your computer, but can get you with a tech specialist afterwards to help troubleshoot if you would like to move on to your reason for contacting us today
Jul 17,6:40 PM

Read
OK, so we are moving (the new account), but have still kept the old account until we move. When we move, can we take some of our boxes and reactivate them under the new account?
Jul 17,6:41 PM

Read
If you were to move services directly to the new location yes, but equipment could not be transferred from one account to anothere
Jul 17,6:41 PM

*another

Read
So how do I return the old equipment?

Read
You could do so at a Spectrum retail location or a UPS Store if you have a location near you

Read
Oh, well that's not very convenient.
Jul 17,6:43 PM

Read
I am sorry to hear that xxx, but you could return the equipment at your own convenience
Jul 17,6:43 PM

Read
Any charges you may get for the equipment not being returned would be fully forgiven once you could get them in
Jul 17,6:44 PM

Read
OK, thanks. Got what I needed. Yet, my old account is still not working. Can't troubleshoot or access my DVR options, etc.
Jul 17,6:44 PM

Read
Unable to retrieve account information. Error Code: NO_ACCOUNTReference ID: 679LP-EYHU6-9492K-S2LBS-3CBP4
Jul 17,6:45 PM

Read
Apologies for the issue, but I can now get you now over to a tech specialist to help troubleshoot the My Account and service issue
Jul 17,6:45 PM

Read
If you have no billing questions for me, would the transfer be okay?

OK

Read
Thank you and please hold for just a moment and I will get you over to a specialist

Read
There may be a wait time due to high chat volumes so please bear with us as I transfer you through, but thank you for being the best part of Spectrum and have a great rest of your day!
You are now connected to Jasmine E

Read
Hello, my name is Jasmine E. How may I be of assistance today?
Jul 17,6:47 PM

Read
No information is showing up on my account when I log in.
Jul 17,6:47 PM

Jul 17,6:48 PM

Read
Actually both of my accounts are showing this.
Jul 17,6:49 PM

Read
Oh no that isn't good, I understand. Can you please provide the full service address?
Jul 17,6:49 PM

First account is xxx
Jul 17,6:51 PM

Hello?

Yes i am here

Read
Waiting on the other account address.

You didn't ask

Xxxx

Accept
Can we move this along? I have spent way too much time on this.
Jul 17,6:53 PM

Accept
Unable to retrieve account information. Error Code: NO_ACCOUNT Reference ID: MZHQF-STYYS-6PU69-8D6CR-D7WAL
We're sorry it's taking longer than expected to reply. Your agent will respond shortly.
Jul 17,6:56 PM

Hello?

Jul 17,6:58 PM

Helllooooo?

Jul 17,7:00 PM

Accept
Are you going to help me?

I am here

Just a moment

Jul 17,7:02 PM

Accept
When are you going to service my accounts? You are helping other people and I need help now. I have been on this chat over 30 minutes.

Ul 17,7:05 PM

Read
The online account errors that you are seeing seem to meant the online account is unavailable at this time. This could be cause due to updates. I recommend waiting a few hours clearing cache and cookies and then try logging in
Jul 17,7:06 PM

Read
That's it? I waited this long for a stock answer?

Jul 17,7:07 PM

Read
Have anyone who can speak proper English?

Jul 17,7:07 PM

Read
I want to speak with a supervisor.

Jul 17,7:02 PM

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I had to speak to five different people before I got a hold of someone who was allegedly the manager (yet they had to talk to someone up the ladder themselves) and never called me back.

By Matt C.