Review of HomeChef

support@homechef.com
2018 Customer choice award

gabrielt22
11/18/18

Pretty cool service, makes me look like a kitchen genius when I can make great meals easily with the freshest products. Sometimes they arrive late and then my plans fall apart so that's no good.

jennifera304
9/26/18

Never received my orders, shipped from Chicago, orders changed to Georgia as my other orders received on time and the meat was still cold to touch. Received third order tonight shipped out of Georgia, the only thing in the box was two bags of beef steak that were hot to touch. Not sure what is going on with this company, my first 6 months of delivery was great. Do not order from this company until the get their $#*! straight. The want to credit your account and not reimburse it buyer beware.

joycem179
9/17/18

I have gotten boxed meals for over a year and a half from several companies. A few have been great and some not so good. Home Chef has some really good recipes at an affordable price. However, their customer service is the worst by far! After receiving a box that had ants all through the box I tried to contact customer service via phone. They were closed at the time so I sent an email with pictures attached. This was on a Wednesday. It is now Monday and I cannot get a hold of them by phone. As has been the case everyday, the call is dropped after the first ring. And the have yet to answer either of my two emails.
I had added an extra meal to that order to make matters ever worse. I'm very disappointed and will be cancelling my subscription and going back to Hello fresh. Their customer service is fantastic.

Tip for consumers: They are great if you never have any issues. Forget customer service...they are lacking in that department.

helend46
8/13/18

OMG! First, let me say I NEVER leave bad reviews....however THIS company is SO bad, I actually researched online to see how to leave a review and spare others the terrible experience that I had! On my FIRST shipment, one of two sweet potatoes came soft with black spots all over it. I didn't notify the company, since I figured this was probably a one-time occurrence (WRONG). My SECOND shipment arrived and one of the many gel packs to keep the contents in the box cool had ruptured and there was a clear jelly substance over ALL of the contents in the box. I called and told them what had happened and questioned if it was safe to eat and I was told YES. My THIRD shipment arrived and when I opened the box a zucchini had white foam on it and was bad. I emailed them and they gave me a credit on my next box. My FOURTH and LAST box came with not one but TWO rotten baby cucumbers. COME ON!! This company needs to get it together! I deactivated my account and they wanted to know why....so I told them all that I am telling you now. They said they would give me a $15 credit. NO THANKS! I'm now with Hello Fresh and am happy. Do NOT use Home Chef! If you do, you WILL have problems!

sandih7
8/11/18

Their ad promised meals for $7.99 but once I signed up, the total for 3 meals came to over $56.00. After finding out there is no way to cancel your account, I contacted "Support" who promised my information would be deleted so that my account would effectively be cancelled.

Imagine my surprise this morning when, even though I didn't place an order or even put anything in the shopping cart, there is a mysterious charge for $29.80 on my credit card. No one at Home Chef will even acknowledge my attempts to contact them so I've contacted my bank about this unauthorized charge. If there's still no response by Monday, I'll be filing a police report for theft.

Maybe they'll respond to negative reviews.

So yes, they lied and then they stole from me.

kellyb380
7/3/18

I saw Home Chef and just wanted to check it out. In order to just look at the menu you have to put a payment method. I put my seldom used PayPal and when I saw the DISGUSTING completely unfriendly to children choices I IMMEDIATELY canceled (literally 5 min after entering my PayPal). This company then ran the charge through my PayPal causing it to hit a bank account I barely use causing me to get an NSF charge. This company is COMPLETELY DISHONEST and a scam. They are the WORST! Trust me, you wont like their menu choices which are disgusting awful nasty choices that NO child would ever want to eat (basically very very fancy). I now have a mess to fix and it will end up costing me 40 bucks just to see what menu choices they have. My bad for trusting a company like this with my payment info just to see the menus. I hope to save someone else the headache!

toshiac2
4/24/18

Terrible customer service. Would not cancel my membership only suspend. Not satisfied with the menu.

tonib45
4/17/18

I ordered 3 meals for two, and this was my experience. #1 Chili-Lime Salmon. The Salmon was good, but was only accompanied by roasted Chayote with a bit of cheese on top. No starch of any kind in the menu, and really not filling enough for dinner. #2 Tex Mex Turkey Stuffed Peppers. Once again, good, but the 1 1/2 Poblano stuffed peppers were the entire dinner, leaving us hungry again. #3 Goat Cheese Encrusted Chicken. Very bland and boring, but with the accompanying roasted potatoes and mashed carrots we did get enough to eat. The recipes were not accurately written, (as in 17 minutes to bake an entire chicken breast?), so timing was dicey, and all of the menus took longer to cook than stated. All in all, not a complete disaster, but there are much better services out there.

jourdand1
4/5/18

The company decided to change shipping companies and did not inform consumers. They wanted to cut costs and save money and decided to work with the shadiest shipping company. They decided to switch from FedEx to OnTrac. I have had OnTrac deliver in the past and it was an old man in a minivan, definitely not the way I want to receive my food. They decided to go cheap and my package was never delivered. It took 40 emails and 12 calls just to get a hold of someone. I got a refund and will never return as a customer. This is absolutely the worst business decision I have ever encountered. You will lose many customers over your stupid decision to change shipping companies. I have already informed all of my friends and family and encouraged them all to close their accounts. I will also leave this review on every site I can find because of how horrible the customer service was. It should not take 40 emails and 12 calls to receive customer service. Absolutely ridiculous!

brianab12
3/22/18

Would not recommend to anyone!

Pros: Well packaged...live in AZ and it stayed cold and ice packs were still frozen when got home on a warm day.

Cons:Very Disappointed! If the recipe calls for an ingredient then put in the dang box! One of the benefits of this is supposed to be that you don't have to go to the store. If the recipe calls for olive oil (every recipe called for olive oil) then put it in the box! Although most people have common items you should still put everything in the box. Even if it calls for simple salt and pepper then put some in the box...why not...shouldn't be hard to do especially with how expensive it is! Most the meals take 45 minutes(not 30 like they say in the ad)! Definitely need faster meals! The difficulty level on all the meals were high and you only have a dozen to pick from! If you don't pick your meals within a day and half they choose for you! If I don't choose meals then that means I obviously don't want food this week! Especially on your 1st box you should give people more of a chance to decide if they want to continue especially if you don't put everything in the box. We couldn't even make a meal the 1st night because we didn't have everything to cook it. I know this is supposedly healthier but the taste was not that good...very bland, nothing to rave about at all! I have made way healthier meals with better taste and a lot less time! Why would anyone stay with this. Had high hopes for this...guess I will try a competitor.

margareth167
3/12/18

I bought a groupon coupon for $35.00 to try this food out. I had trouble using my coupon so had to have help. They asked for a credit card so I gave it to them thinking they were charging my groupon item. I got my box of food and thought that was what I paid for. Then two more boxes came without me ordering. Come to find out they were charging my credit card. The food was awful and took hours to prepare and then is so spiced up that none of us could eat it. I called and wanted a refund on the two orders I didn't order for over $130.00, They told me they couldn't refund my money and I should have paid attention to the small print stated my credit card would be charged until I called and canceled the order. There are no phone numbers on HomeChef site. I had to go on Groupon where I first got started with this horrible place. I will never purchase anything from Groupon or this HomeChef again.

mm352
3/8/18

First delivery, they sent the wrong meals, so they issued a credit. Used the credit to order again, and box showed up 2 days late. Another credit issued, so we ordered a 3rd time. This time 2 of the 3 meals were not what I ordered, and they sent the wrong protein for one of the meals. Ugh. This time I'll be insisting on a refund instead of a credit. Too much hassle to keep dealing with their mistakes.

annad151
3/2/18

Home Chef, without a doubt, has to be the best in quality! We have NEVER had a meal that wasnt great taste, easy to prepare and all produce is very fresh. It is the best decision Ive had in a year. My husband loves all the dinners weve had!
I would recommend everyone to try it, and if not happy with it you can always drop it!
Happy meals.

marilynh42
3/1/18

I was happy for two weeks...don't have to go to groceries for midpart of the week. Food was okay, cooking instructions simple to follow. On the third week, HomeChef emailed saying: product glitch and delivery went out one day late. By the end of the week, I still have not received anything. Check the FedEx tracking number provided in my email that notified me of the late delivery. FedEx returned a note "pending delivery???" My credit card was charged the previous Friday for this delivery. I have the following weeks delivery until I hear from them. I did and the attitude was a joke, "Sorry, your order was not delivered (they forgot an email was sent out notifying me that my shipment went out a day late) and we see you have paused the service. You can unpause the service later" I am a big joke to them I guess. I'll try Blue Apron!!

leel116
2/27/18

Home Chef offers special plans and promotions for customers placing their first orders. For example, a $30 discount off a first order is applicable with the Home Chef promo voucher.
Home Chef requires customers to sign up for the meal kits services. You start by choosing from 11 organic, fresh recipe options including vegetarian, pork, fish, steak, or chicken.

Recipes change on a weekly basis, and customers will be sent freshly farmed pre-portioned ingredients to create home-cooked meals.

These meals are delivered directly to your door in secure, insulated boxes with ice packets.

Home Chef makes it easy to create mouth-watering meals in double-quick time.

For more meal kits reviews https://www.themealkitreview.com

jennifers477
2/26/18

I am an empty nester, middle age woman who has always cooked with fresh ingredients and from scratch.Since I have become single and an empty nester, I have found it was more tedious to cook this way for just myself. When I purchase all the ingredients for dishes it is more than I can consume and half would end up in the garbage. I ended up eating simple foods and visiting the deli too much. Whoever thought of this is a genius! I am now cooking foods that I enjoy and there is no waste. The produce is so fresh and I get the satisfaction of cooking meals from scratch and enjoying good , wholesome food again. Thank You!

carriep33
2/13/18

I have been ordering 3 meals a week for several months now. All orders arrived on time, never any billing problems and 8 out of 10 meals are good. There were only two times that they got an order wrong or less than desirable but I got immediate handling from customer service.

HOWEVER I got to thinking about the food and especially the meats. I thought I was being supplied with hormone and antibiotic free meats. But after scouring the website I couldnt find this claim anywhere. So I emailed customer service and discovered that their meats are not clean. They have been sending meats filled with hormones and antibiotics.

This is a big deal breaker with me and I sent an email saying so. They cancelled my account within about 1 minute of me sending the email.

And so it goes... if you want to eat clean, Home Chef should not be your choice.

lynnf47
2/5/18

After receiving a shipment from Home Chef I decided to cancel my account for the following week. I learned you have to "Pause" your account. I went to my account and pressed "Pause" and then left the website. Unfortunately, I have now learned that the account was never paused and I will get a shipment tomorrow (Tues) at full price. I tried to explain the misunderstanding to "Evita" at Home Chef and she said she couldn't help me, and the system wouldn't allow her to cancel my order or even get a discount. She said her system wouldn't even allow her to pass my complaint on to her manager. She sweetly said she could do nothing. This seems like a racket--the website is at least confusing if not deceitful, and there was no effort to resolve this problem.

scottf99
1/29/18

I've been try to get an order from this service for a month. They keep confirming my order and then not sending the meal.

maryk391
12/2/17

Still waiting for a delivery that left on Wednesday to be delivered on Friday. 3 Meals sitting for 4 days so far and not yet delivered. They are crediting me for one meal
Not thrilled

jenniferh322
11/24/17

Yuk if this is what you sell. Its garbage. Carrots dony belong in dressing im so sick over the taste. I'll never buy a kroger pre made dinner agaim. They use $#*!ty tasting products

alicias75
11/21/17

Food is okay but if you ever have an issue, expect to be out of pocket with absolutely no customer service. I skipped a few weeks in advance but apparently one week did not go through their system properly. I only found this out after seeing a $139 charge on my account. I contacted customer service who basically told me it was my fault and they will not give me a full refund. So, I'm out of pocket and the world is wasting food!!

sierraw7
9/26/17

The recipes were often really good, however, out of the three boxes we received two were missing very important ingredients. The best response we got was a $5 credit onto our next box, what a joke. They ruin a $20 meal and respond by making you buy another box at almost full price....

bekahs
9/26/17

I've tried almost every meal service out there, and this one is the WORST. I received terrible customer service when I had an issue with an order, received no notification of the order until it showed up on my credit card, spoke to 3 different rude and unhelpful customer service agents, and was told the supervisors were "in a meeting." Trust me, there are many more services out there with great products, communication, and excellent customer service. STAY AWAY from this one.

paulav23
9/20/17

I thought having meal selections at my fingertips would make life easier when I returned home from work. No shopping - ah, wonderful! I took a look at the site and was given the impression I could choose the meals. I expected I would be able to look at what the offerings are. Before they allow you to choose your meals, i.e., see what you are buying, you have to select the number of people and then PAY. WHAT? I can think of no other place on the web where you have to pay before you see what you are paying for. I did not complete the registration because of this. After reading some of the reviews, I'm so glad I didn't.

202 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Absolutely agree with the above response. Avoid this company. Looking at your account will unpause it-and you will magically receive a shipment with your "edited choices." Unethical company with horrible customer service.

By Anita A.

You should be fine.

By Stella C.

Questions? Get answers from the HomeChef staff and other customers.

1 Photo for HomeChef