Review of Blue Apron

Tel: +1-585-735-4819
2018 Customer choice award

dianem445
2/16/19

Blue Apron should consider alternatives to how meals are packaged and shipped. There are too much packaging including plastic containers and bags which has no where to go, but into the environment. I cannot consider a relstionship with this company.

sv49
1/28/19

I received a delivery in late December on an expired credit card so I did not think it billed me but when I opened my credit card bill this weekend it was there. I called to get a refund and they refused. I spoke to three seperate people and no one would help me (except to give me another free box which I did not want since I called to cancel my account). They told me I would have to send in an email to have someone else "help" me. I have not been treated that badly in a long time....I guess customer service has no meaning to Blue Apron....I would not recommend them to anyone.

moniquel36
11/9/18

I cancelled my membership in sept.
They delivered a box to my old address yesterday. When I saw the delivery notice come through I called them immediately to let them know I had moved. I also asked for my account to not be charged. They said they would be charging my account.
I tried twice to get this resolved.

BUYES BEWARE.

bobbyt39
11/1/18

I am very satisfied with the foods that they send over and the instructions are easy enough to understand, but sometimes I wish they would arrive on time. It sucks to come back from work only to sit around and wait for the produce to arrive.

jasperf14
10/11/18

The Blue Apron serves you the best if you are busy working mother but need a nutritious meal for your kids. Their ready to make meals delivered at your door step makes meals very convenient and opportune.

patriciaa212
9/11/18

I used the service for 3 months and initially the quality of the products was good and there was excellent variety. After the first month, The produce was suboptimal. There were insects in the snow peas and the peas were chewed up in parts. There was mold on the peppers and parts of the pepper were liquified. Scallions were translucent and soggy. Zucchini was very soggy. My friend, who used the service for the same time period, found a dead lizard in her produce and a portion of another dead lizard when she started to chop up the bok choy.
Tomatoes were cracked and soggy. When I notified the company and sent photos they informed me that this happens with fresh produce. They did give me a credit of $24 but I really wanted safe food.
The side dishes were very generous but the protein portions were at the small end. I ended up purchasing fresh produce and more chicken in order to prepare a full meal for two people. Even though the portion size was small, the quality of the meat/chicken/shrimp was good. The other seafood was fishy (Alaskan pollock not so good).
The recipes were interesting and the variety was great. My husband really liked the meals because of the red pepper/hot sauce/spiciness. If it wasn't for the scary produce I probably would have continued with this program. But after 3 months, I was a little uneasy about what I might find when I opened up the box.....
Maybe it was just bad luck for me and for my friend but it is interesting that we both had the same negative experience.
I am planning to try a different company as I like the idea of preparing and cooking fresh meals.

jessicam510
7/9/18

Hi, I dont usually write reviews but I was particularly dissatisfied with the service and product of blue apron. First I was not impressed with the menu or the food, I have seen much better. Second when the food comes it all together and you have to sort through it before you make anything. I shouldnt really complain about their lack of organization but having tried another company, it really does make a difference. On a final note, due to my lack of satisfaction with the company cancellation was also just as frustrating. Not only is cancellation not straight forward or easy but they actually charge you to cancel.

rachaelz3
6/28/18

I received a free week from a friend. I signed up on Wed 6/27 and set the delivery to arrive on Fri 7/6. After I entered the payment information and proceeded, the date automatically change to Sat 6/30 (We are going away this weekend) and the system told me I had less than 20 minutes to change it. I tried everything and nothing worked. I even contacted the Blue Apron Help Center and still haven't gotten any response. Now it says the package is on the way and now we need to make accommodations for someone to come get the food so it doesn't spoil in the 90 degree heat. AND I was charged the full amount. FREE TRIAL MY ASS.

shawnah12
5/6/18

Not my top choice but definitely a solid 3rd place which isn't bad considering I tried like 10. I would definitely recommend you give them a try as they could be your number 1 pick!

alexv65
4/12/18

I'm a real estate agent and work 24/7 all days of the week. Blue Apron helps here and there in between home cooked meals. The food quality varies but overall I've been very impressed.

ka7719
3/26/18

I decided to give Blue Apron a try when I heard everyone raving about it. I thought it would be an easy way to cook a meal for my family and cook a healthy meal at the same time. I placed my first order, excited to see what I was going to get! Well, the first disappointment came when I received my box. It literally looked like it had been drop kicked from the curb to my door! I took pictures of this to show Blue Apron because I was positive no one would believe a box was delivered in such condition! The items inside were ok, but a can of beans was dented. I threw that out--I had always heard not to use dented cans so I substituted my own can of beans. I started to open the packages that were in good condition and make my meal for the night. I didn't realize the meat came frozen, so I actually had to wait a day for it to thaw. The recipe was bbq chicken "burgers" with coleslaw and potato crisps. The cabbage was half brown, so I didn't use that either. The potato was ok as well as the chicken, etc. I made the recipe but to be honest, the cost was not worth it. They give you tiny individual packets of spices and ingredients, it's less money to buy your own ingredients and make the recipes. My family liked the chicken, but it was very expensive and not worth it in my opinion. I didn't think the food was packed very well in the box, hence the dented can, and it also didn't seem as "fresh" as I would have expected (brown cabbage). Tried it once, would not try it again. I could download recipes and make my own meals.

wilmaf8
3/15/18

The food was really great tasting. There wasn't enough for two people unless your on a diet. Customer service is great. It was easy to cancel membership. Just had one problem
, the chicken had a lot of fat and stringy muscle. They were quick to rectify my complaint and took money off on my next order.

leel116
2/27/18

Blue Apron has served thousands of customers all over the world. I decided to put them to the test and try their meal kits service. The quality of their ingredients is amazing, and everything is farm fresh and organically produced.
Blue Apron delivers all the freshest meats, fish, fruits, and veggies direct to your door in an insulated box. They provide detailed instructions on how to prepare the meals courtesy of in-house chefs. I chose my meals for the week via the App Store, and all the ingredients were shipped directly to my door. They shop for the freshest produce, with quality ingredients from trusted suppliers.
For more reviews check out https://www.themealkitreview.com

jerim11
2/3/18

I received a week of meals and although the recipes were simple to follow and they tasted good enough the problem for me was every single recipe required that the protein (chicken or beef) was fried in 2 tablespoons of oil. I don't eat fried foods. Most of what I eat is baked, broiled or barbecued. So this was a problem. One recipe had me fry everything, proteins and veggies. It called for a total of 6 tablespoons of oil over all. So for that reason, until they come up with recipes that aren't fried I've cancelled the plan.

henryc98
10/24/17

3 of the 5 deliveries I received were missing ingredients, twice affecting 2 of the 3 recipes for the week. One of the deliveries did not show up at all!!! When I contacted customer service I received a canned "we're so sorry" response and a credit for 1 of the 2 meals. The whole purpose of this concept is to make life easier for the subscriber by providing them with an all inclusive dinner. Great concept---- lousy execution.

Too bad, because the recipes that I did make, were very good. Stay away unless your are seeking weekly aggravation.

kurtisw5
10/8/17

If I could give zero stars I would. I used a $30 promo for a $30 order. The total was $0. I emailed because the promo was not applied and $30 was taken from my account. I attached a screenshot. I requested a refund and the account cancelled. Customer service did not do either of these but instead sent me an email saying my total was $30. Today, another $60 was TAKEN from my account without authorization. I AM FURIOUS!! GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!!! You have now charged me $90 for a freebie. This is ridiculous. I enjoyed the product. But, unless you process a full refund, I will actively tell everyone I meet not ever to use blue apron. My next step is to contact the BBB or the Arizona attorney general to investigate this.

dakotav1
10/4/17

We are taking a break from the service right now but my wife and I really like Blue Apron. Their recipes were a little complex for week nights but we gave them that feedback and they have since said that they have made them simpler. We are looking forward to trying them again in a week or two. They had great tasting meals though and great quality compared to some of the others we've tried.

valerieh59
10/3/17

Hype describes this menu. So called unique food that is average. People you can do the same food but half the cost if you would take time to learn. Use good quality shrimp, pasta, marinara & a few spices. Voila-you have a meal. It isnt rocket science. Vegetables grow in dirt weather organic in the USA or Chile. Talk to your grandparents, they can teach you how to grocery shop & cook. Its not new. Stop thinking that grocery shopping & eating healthy are trivial matters. I would be writing a better review if Blue Apron provided meals that my 84yr old mother would eat. Balanced nutritional meals that arent revolting. Mother is not going to try squid ink pasta, or purple potatoes; my grandchildren wouldnt touch it either. So who is eating this food? Adults who want to look special. Get over yourselves.

yc14
9/25/17

If you haven't started the blue apron but thinking about it, you have to know this.

Your free first delivery is actually not free unless you cancel BEFORE you receive the first free one. Do you understand what I am saying?

OK, I received my first FREE delivery last Thursday, today is the following Monday so it has been 4 days including the weekend since my first free delivery. My credit card was charged $60 last Saturday from Blue Apron, so I call them to stop the second delivery until I have the chance to try out the first delivery I received. Guess what, I CAN'T. According to the supervisor, I was supposed to notify them to skip or cancel 6 days prior to the next delivery. How am I supposed to decide to skip a delivery or cancel the service when I have not even started the first trial meal they sent me???

So, here's a lesson. When you order your first free delivery, make sure to cancel or skip even before you receive your first delivery unless you know for sure you want to continue receive products from them.

tinas144
9/13/17

Their products and service are excellent. But I have tried over and over to cancel them and they don't make it easy. I found a link tonight and got it done and they charged me $35. I find that ridiculous. Pretty sure they don't tell u that up front.

henrym89
9/13/17

I'm with Blue Apron for couple months and really love it. Food is so tasty and healthy. I saved much of time and don't need to go shopping around. Buying a lot of ingredients which just need a little ...

kt109
9/8/17

I am a new widow, having lost my husband of 45 years. Initially I found it hard to put any energy into eating but I am a health professional and knew I could not continue down that path. Blue Apron offers me the opportunity to eat a healthy meal at least once a day. I appreciate that the boxes come with exactly what is needed to prepare the menu, there is no waste. Additionally, meal preparation is a time when my mind is occupied by simple productive tasks with a positive endpoint, a delicious dinner.

hollyh51
8/18/17

Received our second blue apron meal this week. The ingredients inside came bruised and inedible with the Greek yogurt and cheese opened and spilled all over the other contents of the bags. I emailed a complaint with pictures and was issued a $13 credit to my account? Obviously unhappy with the solution I called customer services to ask for a refund to my card. They stated they were unable to do that and could only credit my account for the items. I spoke with 2 different people who apologized but were completely unhelpful in a solution. I opted to cancel the subscription and take my loses. Poorly managed customer service. I don't usually write reviews but this one left such a bad taste in my mouth I felt the need to warn others. Not a customer friendly company when they are obviously the ones that screwed up. Disappointed

mf91
8/16/17

I really like the meals I made with Blue Apron. The recipes were creative, easy and delicious. The food was generally well packaged. However, they simply do not have their packing/distribution system figured out. On average, nearly every other delivery was missing an ingredient. Sometimes just a small one (like a spice), sometimes a major one (like the peppers that were in the title of the recipe). They were prompt about apologizing and providing some credit on the next order, but realistically, you subscribe to these services so you don't have to go to the grocery store. I don't care about the money, I care about being able to make the meal in the recipe reliably, every week. I held on for a long time, hoping they'd get their act together, but they never did. They would also never engage in a discussion or explanation - just "So sorry! We'll pass your concern along. Here's some credit!" which I found really frustrating.

maryf187
8/15/17

My husband and I enjoyed the selection that Blue Apron offered. We found the meals were very good. However, we had to cancel due to the high sodium content. The cancellations process was hassle free. Reading all options and requirements is always key before entering into any "contract."

100 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

They DEFINITELY hide the "cancel" button - I had to email them to find it, and they said "you can always just pause your deliveries!" but you have to hand click each week you want paused, and you can only go a few weeks out. If you do that and forget, deliveries will start up again automatically. It felt very sneaky.

By M F.

This seems to be Blue Apron's way of holding up a (false, pseudo) customer base for purpose of over-inflating their numbers for investors.

By Nancy K.

Hello. You do not know what time the box will arrive, just which day, and you pick which day you want it. I have never had anything spoiled or overheated in our box; there are "ice packets" in it. So as far as choice of meals...when you first sign up you can make choices about things you don't want. We selected no seafood and no walnuts. I wouldn't go crazy opting out of stuff; you can imagine that takes away so many options for delicious recipes. If you have a lot of special food needs, I don't think a meal service is for you. Anyway, we get our box on Tuesdays and on Monday I receive an email saying my box is on its way and what recipes are in it. That email also tells you what's coming for the next week. You can change your recipes up to a few days ahead, which might be convenient if you are worried about what you are getting. You can also go online and see many weeks out and change any of those too. I will say this though, if you are picky picky and not open minded about trying new recipes, I don't know if you should sign up. Blue Apron's recipes are very unique and have a lot of ethnic flavor profiles and spices and things like that; but they have all been great, again, if you want to have fun and try new things. There have been a couple where we thought maybe we should change that, maybe we won't like it, but we didn't and just went ahead and tried it and we have not regretted it once. You can see more on the review I posted.

By Cameron B.

Questions? Get answers from the Blue Apron staff and other customers.

15 Photos for Blue Apron