EverythingButTheHouse reviews

Tel: 1-888-862-8750

judyr51
12/11/17

Purchase arrived broken just like so many other reviews have said. So unnecessary and terribly disheartening!

ericb199
12/7/17

First Class operation - great help with pick up, better than described, bid with confidence. AAAAAAAA+++++++++++++

victorias121
12/3/17

I do not regard this online auction company has good transparency! Their customer service is incredibly poor and irresponsible. The after hour people who answer their calls all have the same answer for any of your questions: "I don't know, call back during business hour." Wow, my dog could have told me this. If you must bid on this site, make sure you nail down the shipping cost and leave them with no room to increase it without your permission.

sues184
12/3/17

I've made several purchases on this site and am very happy with most of them. However, I've noticed that more and more items are no longer available for pick-up. The sale will say it's a Los Angeles sale but it appears they are shipping the items out of Ohio. I find this very misleading even if it is a Los Angeles based estate. They are shipping truck loads of stuff to their main warehouse where the then charge exorbitant fees for S & H. It's all a scheme to earn $$ on the shipping. This is shifting more of the profits to them and away from the clients they are doing the estate sales for. Because of the shipping costs the bids will be naturally lower leaving a lesser payment to the client.

Here is a listing that is 'shipping only.' For my zip code the cost of shipping is over $45! Who is going to pay that? The current bid is "zero." I doubt it will get any bids at all. I've noticed that they have more and more unsold items in their sales because of their new shipping program..

johannar9
12/1/17

I have purchased several items from EBTH and have been pleased with the experience. I recently had a purchase damaged in shipment and they responded quickly to my concerns and gave me a full refund. Five stars for EBTH!

barbarap129
12/1/17

I've worked with the Lexington team many times now & each time they were very professional, helpful & easy to work with. Thank you!

chrisa214
12/1/17

The Chicago team absolutely stepped up and took care of me last minute. Props to the operations and sales team for going over and beyond expectations.

charlotteo6
11/30/17

Consigning was very easy. Indianapolis team is quite efficient and helpful with the process.

At the corporate level... shipping is still high for the buyer and they can still be slow to respond to questions from buyers. When I needed a modification of one of my own item descriptions, they didn't respond to repeated emails. Luckily, Siera at the Indianapolis office addressed the issue. She is the best!

janetp73
11/30/17

The Indianapollis team was great. Best experience ever.
They helped get rid of my parents items that the family did not want to keep. Overwhelming situation but they were always there to help.

dorothya24
11/29/17

This company rips you off with shipping charges and it takes forever for them to get your items to the shipper. They charge twice the usual cost for shipping an item.
Dont use this company.

paulk215
11/29/17

Ive spent a ton of money with EBTH. All good, until there is even the slightest complication. Customer service is a joke. Incredibly tone deaf. Im now out 930.35. Very poorly run company who could care less about retaining customers. I suggest you think twice before buying or selling anything on Everything But the House. Very shady. Do some research, and youll find there are countless people with similar opinions of EBTH that will never do business with them again.
Www.ebth.com

loris205
11/28/17

Hello Frustrated Friends!
Based on the Rare Positive reviews, we seem to share a common thread of Displeasure and Disbelief at the Operations or lack thereof of this company.
Stay Tuned for the Details! It is my Hope that it will Help in Some Way Anyone Experiencing the same. I will try to interject some tongue in cheek humor to make the boring reading less boring. The Reality, this is Anything But Humorous!

Initially, we were excited to discover this auction site.
We bid on several different items~Individually as well as Lots of Items (Groupings). The prices were Great for the item Itself, If you're a Bidder/Bidder.
We couldn't help but feel Terrible for the folks who Consigned and Entrusted their Families Estates to this outfit. Items ending for mere dollars! If this outfit takes 40%, what are the Seller's making?

We're not in a position to travel to where these items are located, so we entered our zip code which calculated shipping Prior to bidding. We placed our bids accordingly.
Upon Winning, we waited for our Invoice to pay. And Pay We Did!! The Shipping Charges Were Higher than Originally Quoted, some a Great Deal More.

SHIPPING~The Only Folks who are making Money here, Other than the Company Itself is the Shipping Company, which I'm Sure, Shares Proceeds with this Auction Site, and Not the Owners/Consignors of these items.
If we all band together and Start a Shipping Company, perhaps we can All Recoup the Losses We Incurred! If we start a Transport Company, we can Surely see to it that the items get from Point A to Point B Faster than the Pony Express Days~All While Protecting the Items in Transit!
There is No Rhyme Nor Reason for the Shipping Charges.
For Example, a small piece of jewelry can be shipped USPS Priority Flat Rate Box which was $7.10 with $50 Insurance. Even purchasing additional insurance for the Same Size Box Doesn't total Close to what they charge.
Another similarly priced item is Substantially higher, with Both coming from the Very Same Location.

PACKAGING~We ordered a Lot of Wood Items~Boxes, Wood Shoes, etc, a Mink Capelet and Yankee Memorabilia which included 3 Heavy Plaques.
All of these items were shipped TOGETHER in One Enormous Box~the size that a Dishwasher is Crated in!!!
The Only items that were wrapped were the plaques.
The Mink Capelet was Literally Rolled Up in a half of a ball and laying at the Very Bottom of the Box~as if it were used as a Padding of Sorts to Cushion the other items!
I stood in Total Disbelief when I opened the box!
There were Mass Amounts of Brown Paper Wrapping, which had to Literally be Thrown Into the Massive Box as it Certainly Wasn't Wrapped around Anything to Protect the items in transit. The Box was So Large, I could have been shipped in it!
After dealings with this outfit, I'll need to keep it to jump in and be transported to an Island~Far, Far Away from the Insanity that exists with everything going on here!

We Did receive a Watercolor Painting that was Very Carefully Wrapped and Boxed.
It seems items coming from One Location are Shipped Very Differently than Another.

We bid on a Vintage Shoe Lot~It Literally took 8 Weeks to get here!
Are you Serious! We could have walked there, in our own shoes, and picked them up in 8 weeks time! Absurd!

Our Latest Purchase~a Very Expensive and Rare Item. We were excited to be the Winning Bidders...Until we received the item. Oh My Goodness...It arrived Damaged/Broken!!! It Wasn't the postal companies fault as it was clear to see that it was Packaged in this condition!! This Expensive Item was Horribly and Inaccurately Described!!! When we reached out to them, they simply said that they're sorry if we're not happy with our purchase, that they can only describe to the best of their ability~that it's a used item, etc.
I was Quick to write back to dispute this. I have run a Successful Business for 34 Years. We buy Vintage, Previously Loved items Often and Do Thoroughly Read the Descriptions Prior to placing a bid. Any/All Companies worth their salt have Total Transparency.
If there is a problem, they Correct it. You can Buy/Bid with Confidence that the item Is As Described or they will make it right! In this ongoing case, we made them aware that If they Don't Refund Our Monies Paid, Taxes and Shipping Charges In Full, we Will Contact the BBB As Well as Our Attorney. We are Not Simply going to be Brushed Off by this Outfit (They Haven't Earned the Respect to be Called a Company).
While every company has certain fine print disclosures, this outfits disclosures read like an Encyclopedia! They're Crossing their T's and Dotting their I's at every turn, Refusing to Accept Any Accountability for their Shortcomings.

When you go to an Estate Sale, In Person Auction, etc. you have the Opportunity to Preview Items in Person. They will tell you that you are welcome to come to where the items are an inspect them for yourself prior to bidding. There's a reason they don't take phone calls. They would have needed hearing protection after that comment! I wrote that They are an Online Auction Company. They boast about being able to sell Worldwide. Is someone going to hop a flight from Bangkok to fly here to the US to look at a piece of furniture? No!
We are All Relying on their Supposed Experts to Accurately Describe the Item or Items we're bidding on.
It is Their Responsibility to do Just That! Accurately Describe the Items, Hire Folks who are Qualified to do so. On More than One Occasion, we noticed Errors in their listings, which we messaged them about, which were later corrected. We did this for the Seller's and Buyer's Sake! What a Shame to have something you Treasure be so casually described~Inaccurately I might add, or to Bid on something that was described to be something it Is Not!

There are Many Other Sites that Do Offer Total Transparency. Please do your due diligence and check them out!

If you want an Auction Site, Visit Ebay!
If you have Vintage Items, List them on Etsy!
If you have everyday stuff, List it on Mercari!
Bonanza is Also another selling option!
There are Many Out There!
Don't Trust your Families Estate, Your Personal Valuables to an Outfit who Only Truly Cares about Funding Their Bank Account!

For those who have Serious Issues and Problems~You are Not Without Recourse!
*Contact the Better Business Bureau and give a Detailed Account of your Claim!
*Don't Use your Credit Card to pay for items. Open a PayPal Account and Link Your Credit Card through PayPal. The company Won't have your Personal Credit Card Number AND, VERY IMPORTANTLY, Pay Pal will Back You Up! If the Item is Not As Described, Arrives Damaged, or Doesn't Arrive At All, They Will Immediately Put a Hold On the Funds You Paid while they investigate your case, then Refund Your Funds back to You. You are Not Out the Money you paid for a Broken Piece of Furniture or Something that Never Arrived. I've been with PayPal for Many Years and Thankful for them!

In Closing, Thank You Everyone for Making the Time in your Busy Lives to read this.
I'm Hoping it's Helpful in Some Way!

ryanl92
11/27/17

EBTH conducted a sale for and I was very pleased! Customer service was good. I did have a few things that didn't sell, but I'll just keep them and maybe try again someday in another auction. Overall, I had a positive experience and do recommend. I will definitely do business again.

gregb140
11/27/17

We have had many sales through EBTH throughout the past year. The Pittsburgh team has always been fast to respond to any inquiries and always take the time to sell as many items as possible for the best possible rate. We have had items that we thought to have of little value only to be picked out by the EBTH staff and be worth quite a bit. We have learned a lot working with EBTH and plan to for many years to come.

Tip for consumers: Furniture can be a hit or miss, but that's typically because of shipping costs and size/weight of furniture.
Everything starts at a $1, but not a lot sells for that price.

jayneh20
11/26/17

I can't help but believe they make a lot of stuff up. Strange that if I have maximum bid it ALWAYS gets met - strange how stuff sells for 7 times MORE than what you can buy the same stuff for elsewhere. And strange that all the stuff that sells for much-much higher than what makes common sense shows up for auction again at a different location. It appears to all be a show to convince people to sell with them.
They've convinced me not to buy with them.

amberw87
11/21/17

They quoted me one price for shipping before I won and then doubled it upon my winning. I reached out to customer service and was not given any remedy other than I could "forfeit the items" meaning I could pay for the items and not the shipping and GIVE THEM to the company after I paid for them. That was their only solution. I escalated my issue to a supervisor and was met with the same issues. They also charged my card before the "pickup window" for my items was closed, including the $150 to ship 2 chairs FORTY MILES. RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!! DONT SHOP HERE

kens144
11/21/17

1st went to the pick up location a half hour early (because I should've been in the city working). And it was a NO SHOW... The "seller" didn't show up at the specified time. I had to pick it up 4 days later, ON THE ORIGINAL DATE I REQUESTED!
2nd - the bidding is confusing I bid on two identical items think it was the same at the last minute.. I bought TWO items. They wouldn't cancel it. I also had two paty for two shipped packages!!! doubling teh costs!!! WHY it comes from the same location... I'll never use them again.

Tip for consumers: Seek elsewhere. I asked if I was to buy 20 items from a single sale, the items would come in 20 different packages, therefore shipping cost would be exorbitant and not even worth it. I could've bought the same items on Amazon with FREE Shipping and teh ability to return. FML

donaldh79
11/21/17

I was a seller on ebth. I sold about 200 very high end, new in box light fixtures. During the photography process the careless workers broke 2 new lamps. each costing just over $3000!
The infuriating thing is that no one said anything about it to me. I only found out when I saw the broken lamps myself. I brought this up to the supervisor and was told I should claim it on my home owners insurance! They would take no responsibility for the 2 broken lamps and the onsite workers wouldn't fess up to breaking them. There were no other people in my garage so the ebth workers had to have broke them.

The person writing the descriptions was so bad that I literally had to research and write each description (200+ items!) myself and forward it to the ebth office so they could update the severely lacking description their worker wrote. This took me 2 full days and many many hours. She was fired after my sale. That's how bad she was.

ebth is horribly bad for the sellers as it is for buyers. Please, do yourselves a favor and run away from this company. Life is too short to be raked over the coals by ebth.

I have many more horror stories as a buyer. So many, that I finally cancelled my ebth account and stopped bidding altogether. I can't say enough bad things about this company and how it is run. And Paige in the Atlanta office is a fraudster and should be in jail for her actions while working with ebth.

rp92
11/20/17

I have worked with EBTH for several years and had nothing but a positive experience. From my beginning days until the present they have always provided excellent customer service, crews are very professional and they have always been here to help. I've also been a buyer as long as I've been a seller and have always had a good experience. If there has been a problem their local Lexington team has been available to assist with a resolution and the Customer Service has also been there to help when I've called in. All around if you give them a chance they will impress and give you a great experience!!

ahmeds77
11/17/17

They first entice you to sell your estate but then write poor description and don't follow up with seller. I sent 2 emails with no response. Due that I lost big time selling my oil paintings and artwork.
I don't recommend to never use their service. For 40% fee, everybody is better off selling on Craiglist, OfferUp or local estate sellers. If you don't have enough items to consign with an estate seller, check locally for those that accept few items.
I wish I read the reviews before auctioning with this low rank business.
Stay away from it, ESPECIALLY FOR SELLING.

laurenj45
11/13/17

I've been an EBTH customer for several months, excited about the opportunity to easily watch sales and purchase items for local pick up in Dallas, TX, thus not having to pay shipping. Without notifying their customers, EBTH changed their format to instead of local warehouses storing all products listed under sales listed IN dallas, to now sending them up to Blue ash, OH because they said they can ship quicker out of their distribution center. This defeats my entire reason to use the app. Not only that, you have to check every item bc some are still local. I've also seen them incorrectly list a TN sale in Dallas. Sucks for the owner of the goods, they probably didn't get as much sold. I also have a friend who had a ton of extra art and gave to EBTH to sell, in which they had to do in two separate sales. If your item doesn't sell they keep it. Halfway during the sale they moved the location from being listed under dallas to listed under blue ash (even though they had already moved the merchandise to blue ash) to try and get more interest. The second sale they were to list in OH to begin with and it showed up on the app but not on the website. Seems hard to keep up with, especially if you're trying to sell stuff with them.. some of the bidding conveniently goes up at 3am when a sale first comes on...although shill bidding isn't permitted. wonder what they do with what doesn't sell.

michaelp216
11/11/17

STAY AWAY FROM EBTH! ITEMS MAY LOOK GOOD BUT THEY WILL SEND YOU SOMETHING YOU DIDN'T EVEN BID ON. THEY REFUSED TO MAKE IT RIGHT ALSO, NO RETURNS THEY SAID! THEY ALSO WENT AS FAR TO TAKE AN ITEM OFF SITE AFTER I WON IT FOR $1.00. I CALLED IMMEDIATELY AFTER BIDDING WAS OVER ABOUT ITEM I WON, AND THEY TREATED ME VERY RUDE AND REFUSED TO SEND ME ITEM I WON. BEWARE BE SMART AND STAY AWAY!!!!

lauried16
11/6/17

Over several months I've purchased 6 items from the EBTH estate sale site, four of which were large. Three of the large pieces arrived broken in several places; one even had missing pieces. All large pieces shipped a month after payment thereby complicating things. These items were packed, at great expense to me, in used, broken, ill-fitting and often opened boxes. Don't expect assistance with problems like this. About a week ago I won an auction that numerous bidders competed for a week with 3 of us bidding until the posted ending time. The other 2 bidders dropped out because time had ended and I had won. EBTH reopened the sale without notifying me or the original bidders. A sniper joined and once I realized what was happening
I bid until I won again. Please note they did not add an extension during the posted bidding time but after it ended . Then during the first extension EBTH added another. By the final extension I decided to no longer help EBTH or ever again. I caution you about the integrity of this group.

allisonw45
11/6/17

After one successful transaction I thought Id try again. Big mistake! Out of my 5 purchased from EBTH only 1 was as advertised. Example: I purchased what was described as a Duncan Phyfe
style table. When Inpicked thenalready paid for item it was obviously the top and bottom where married piece that where VERY different than what was photographed and advertised. The second incident was advertised as an antique onyx ring -either Art Deco or Edwardian. Haha. The setting was obviously a modern setting. Antique my @&$.
Good Bye EBTH. Id give you -1 star if I could!

juliet279
11/6/17

I read all the reviews below and I experienced the same. I have a product that was chipped when it came and they are saying I should have seen it in the picture...not so! And, they admitted in writing they missed stating it in the description, Total bullying saying we will give you a partial return or a little gift certificate.

This is fraud. Time for the Attorney General to look into this company.

I am just got through selling items through EBTH, and it has been the worst experience I have ever had. They grouped many expensive items together because they thought it was in the best interest of the company not the seller. I am also currently seeking legal council to potentially file suit against the company for fraudulent business practices. They didn't even give me a copy of their so called "contract", that I had to sign and send in with my items, until there was only 1 hour left in my sale. They left out the most expensive pieces I sent in and didn't sell them at all, didn't find out why until sale was over. As if all this weren't enough, they took real diamonds from the items I sent in to sell and replaced them with "white sapphires". So needless to say, they're probably about to get hit with a heavy lawsuit!!

By Zack J.

I have filed with the BBB and IC3 for internet fraud, and I am writing the Attorney General of Ohio. These guys make the used car salesman of the 60's look like saints. The products are marginal, and the service i mean customer service is non-existent. I also filed a fraud case with my bank, because for 3 week I got the run-around about them shipping the item, I never got it, and they said they couldn't return my money. Not true! In the United States, keeping the money and keeping the merchandise is illegal. Don't let the technology and glam of the website fool you, they are deceptive, dishonest, and you get the 'EVERYTHING BUT WHAT YOU PAID FOR.

By sUSAN w.

They got 40%, but they also give you inflated ideas that you'll get more listing it with EBth than you would if you listed it or consigned it anywhere else. Don't believe it. Many of my items were sold way under value. And they tried to cheat me, but I threatened to cancel the buyers coming to pick up items sold to them. And because I was holding the cards, they folded and gave me the 1000$ they were going to screw me out of.

By tom h.

They charge 40% which is higher than any other company I have used. They also sent my items out of state and charged high shipping fees. Items sold much lower than items sold locally. It is unfair for both sellers and buyers. I will never use them again and advise others to beware.

By sharon h.

I bid on a parcel containing a brooch and a coral bead necklace. When the items arrived, it was obvious the necklace was plastic. EBTH claims that the jewelry is evaluated by a " gemologist" . My 10 year old niece could see that the necklace was plastic. When I called demanding a refund, initially they refused. The customer service rep I was dealing with was condescending and not very bright. I put the purchase in dispute with my credit card company ( basically a stop payment ). After I put the charge in dispute, they decided to refund. My advice: If you're going to do business with EBTH, USE A CREDIT CARD ! Good luck.

By Mina S.

Unfortunately they will not return anything to you if it is unsold OR if they deem that the item is a fake or unsellable, etc. Not very helpful or willing to listen when you do appeal to them.

By Christopher M.
Questions? Get answers from the EverythingButTheHouse staff and other customers.

8 Photos for EverythingButTheHouse