EverythingButTheHouse reviews

Tel: 1-888-862-8750
mike.reynolds@ebth.com

jjl40
2/15/19

They have a habit of lying to their customers, sellers, and worst of all their employees. Employees are filled with empty promises, then laid off without any notice. I know first hand that they have lied to sellers regarding forgeries. They've sold things that go against federal regulations. They sell things that they know are not in working condition but remain vague in condition notes to make a quick buck. They only care about $$$ and it's going to cause them to go out of business or get sued (again) fast.

camillej17
2/15/19

I love how I can find one of a kind items and of value and quality. The customer service is awesome and they ship right away! It is one of my favorite web sites!

lorir193
2/9/19

I have purchased numerous works of art, designer handbags and home interior items. All of my purchases have been exactly as stated in the descriptions and arrived in perfect condition. Thank you to EBTH for the opportunity to purchase art works from artists around the world that I would otherwise not have had access to! I will continue to purchase from EBTH with confidence that I am purchasing well researched items that have been authenticated by EBTH's expert staff.

annag214
2/6/19

I just found out that when EBTH says in the description something is an autograph it may not be an autograph but a copy of an autograph . Most auctions say autograph when it is actually signed. If not authenticated they mean they can't guarentee who signed it. At EBTH if it says not authenticated it means they are not saying it is an actual autograph but may be a copy of an autograph. Just warning people !

lindam1020
2/5/19

I love vintage jewelry. Every day when new sales are posted, I scroll through till I find a piece that speaks to me. Trust me, there's a lot of speaking going on. I've bought numerous antique pieces that I just love!!! They arrive in a timely manner, carefully wrapped and well packaged. I am thrilled that I found EBTH.

terir35
2/2/19

Items as described, packed very well and arrived quickly, thanks! I will definitely buy from this company again.

arthurp38
2/2/19

I HAVE AN ONLINE "ETSY SHOP" (etsy.com/shop/prospectorcollection) SELLING ANITIQUES, ART, SCULPTURES, COLLECTIBLES, ETC AND SIMILAR "TREASURES" FROM MY PERSONAL COLLECTION AMASSED DURING THE PAST 50 YEARS.

ANY OF THE ITEMS THAT I HAVE PURCHASED FROM EBTH DURING THE LAST 3 YEARS CAME TO ME IN EXCELLENT, AS DESCRIBED, CONDITION AND WERE EITHER LISTED AND SOLD ON MY SITE OR KEPT FOR MY PERSONAL COLLECTION AND MY HOME DECOR.

EVERYTHING THAT EBTH ASSOCIATES HAVE DONE FOR ME HAS BEEN PERFECT. ALL OF THEIR COURTEOUS, SMILING, KNOWLEDGABLE, AND EXTREMELY HELPFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVES THAT I HAVE DEALT WITH, SINCE DAY 1 OF MY MEMBERSHIP, MAKE SURE THAT THEY SOLVE ANY & ALL PROBLEMS (INCLUDING IMMEDIATE FULL REFUNDS FOR DAMAGED MERCHANDISE), CONCERNS, OR JUST QUESTIONS THAT I HAVE HAD. THANK YOU AND KUDOS TO ALL FOR A JOB WELL DONE! THEY HAVE ME FOR LIFE.

Tip for consumers: If they print a description that you question (untested, condition, etc.), just call customer service, They will immediately answer or investigate and immediately get back to you. ALL ASSOCIATES THERE DO HELP AND SATISFY!

carolm510
1/31/19

Buyer beware! Assume electronics described as "untested" don't work AT ALL. Paid $95 for an "untested" iPhone 6. I assumed untested meant they didn't test phone calls, text messages, WiFi connection. Nope! Untested means it doesn't power up. According to Patrick and Nicole from EBTH, if an electronic item powers on, they note "untested, powers on". In an email response Nicole wrote: "Stating this information (untested) is giving the bidder that it did not work when listed". In other words, their version of "untested" means nothing about it works. There is nothing on their site that describes what they mean by "untested". IMO there's little chance they did not attempt to power this item and they owe it to buyers to clarify. But then who would pay $95 for a cell phone that doesn't work?

Update: A quick trip to the Genius Bar and I learned this phone has "gone swimming"! The Apple tech showed me there is a visual indicator inside the sim tray - a label that turns from white to red when the phone gets wet. They do not vet the products they sell.

paulj325
1/28/19

My John Stobart print, $500, arrived in perfect shape. Many Thanks. This was my first purchase from EBTH and I am very, very pleased.

jenp85
1/25/19

Customer service is a foreign concept. Absolutely TERRIBLE experience on multiple occasions. Done with this company.

fayej16
1/25/19

'YOU WON"! MY FIRST THING I BID ON ARRIVED TODAY. IN FACT 2 BOXES. EVERTHING WAS WRAPPED VERY WELL. SO WELL I THOUGHT I WOULD NEVER GET TO THE ITEMS! HA I HAD SO MUCH FUN SHOPPING, BIDDING,PRAYING NO ONE ELSE WOULD BID ON MY ITEMS! THANKS EBTH!

marthab128
1/25/19

I was the winning bidder on a one-of-a-kind pair of Murano Glass seahorses.
EBTH shipped these fragile glass figurines wrapped in thin paper with NO protective packing materials to fill the box, allowing the figurines to bounce around the empty box. They arrived SHATTERED to pieces.

It was devastating to see from the broken pieces how beautiful the Murano glass seahorses
were. It was infuriating that this breakage was 100% preventable had the items simply been packed with care.

Customer Service was slow to respond and very blasé about their inexcusably insufficient packing job. They said that they had to "put a claim in to their insurance" before I could be refunded. I was instructed to keep the carton with the shattered contents "for their insurance adjuster to view". Really? Is EBTH actually insured for negligent packing? And why should I have to wait around for adjusters & be inconvenienced by their negligence?!?

Ultimately, I was e-mailed a return label and I returned the damaged items - more of my valuable time wasted as a result of EBTH total ineptitude.

NEVER would I do business with EBTH again! A total incompetent mess and waste of my valuable time!!!

susanc661
1/21/19

Beware of buying/bidding of anything on this site. I won a bid for a Gucci watch advertised as in good condition and working. It was not. They agreed to take back and refund, and I returned to them after waiting weeks for the label. Then they would not refund as said it only needed a battery. In the mean time, they had the watch.We went back and forth for several weeks until I filed a credit card dispute. Everything they told my card company was a lie. Plus they take weeks to respond. Finally, they told the credit card company that I never returned the product to them. This was after sharing emails about replacing the battery in it with credit card company. The very next day after receiving notice from credit card company that EBTH said I had never returned the watch, I got an email from UPS saying I was receiving a package from EBTH. After 3 months, saying I hadn't returned, and the dispute, they were sending back to me. Credit card told me to refuse to accept delivery, which I did. Now 3 days later I have just received another notice of delivery from them. Credit card company again says to refuse again. When will this every end? Further, the internal emails EBTH sent to my credit card company mock my trying to get a refund and joke about the product. Unprofessional doesn't begin to describe them! Just an awful site. Seems it would have been easier for them to just re-post the watch (once they had fixed it) then continue to lie to me and the credit card company. Don't be tempted by anything on the site, because it may not be as represented and you will have a hard time getting any satisfaction from them.

ricardom99
1/17/19

At one point I decided that the cost of accumulating paintings produced and stored over the past 20 years since 1998 and depositing in storage another 25 years since 1974 in Venezuela was simply not worth my efforts to become commercially viable and that I had to dispose of it as best as I could. I looked into 45 auctioneering agencies, including galleries opened to the possibility of selling works on consignment. The latter were the least qualified to my objective. In a matter of a couple months, EBTH contacted me, referred by another agency who represented Estate houses. From the first telephone call I received, I knew EBTH offered the best prospects.

However, there were two aspects in the process that most artists would not agree to:
There were no reserves or minimum for the sales; the bids would begin at one dollar and market competition would call the shots. It meant that if the appeal was based upon the character of the work, works be sold by market demand with just a little bit of marketing support. There was promotion and expertise in describing the work just as any other art outfit would do to promote their stable of artists. By the way, the art department's team is comprised of some of the same staff that does the Road Show for television.

In the process we learned not to be restricted to a single sale but agree to many small groups of ten or a maximum of twenty-four pieces at a time, mixed with other artists over the course of a year an a half: on average every three weeks. We started in January last year with my first contract for over 700 pieces, which still have been selling after 28 auctions. As we speak there are four auctions being processed yet to be released. My work would be mixed with well known artists' from different states, who have already passed for the most part or are mature still-active-mid-career artists.

The team of the art department hired a freelancing journalist (who, by the way used to work in Rome and the Vatican covering cultural events) in order to develop a promotional profile based upon what the team thought would fit in uniquely into my profile, the art work and personal life.

From the start, I was rather combative with the very young reporter's jargon and the art-department's team's effort to establish historical associations or trends, which clashed altogether with my own sense, particularly with the "metaphors of silence" Series and personal manifesto against the very market system of valuation, and how was i to be placed within the marketplace. I wanted to separate from the idea of being a career artist; and wanted to be portrayed, instead, as a lover of my art, separate and apart from the makings of historial career valuations that seem to be the appeal to most art scenes within museum and galleries, even to alternative galleries.

My interest was in pushing for a "well listed" fringe position or the position of an outsider, rather than being a part of the contemporary commerce of art.
When I signed the first contract, I didn't quite understand, nor did I care how the work would be sold. The team told me I would be entitled to 55% of the net profits. The first auction consisted of 203 pieces, which was a disaster, even if the revenues exceeded a sum of 23 thousand dollars. In such a massive sale, paintings belonging to the same Series and same format would sell for disparaging amounts: one would be $1,500 and another $60. In other words, the market-demand when saturated would be quite uneven. But if they sold 10 pieces at a time, the market would respond more homogeneously, and so that approach has led to having equally distributed offerings at any given auction. Initially it served well in understanding how to make the most of the market opportunities at the expense of a huge learning curve.

I just signed my second contract for an additional 30 paintings, when the team truly understood how to mix and promote my work in order to get the best possible result.

So far we have netted $43,000 which was not a great deal of money considering the number of paintings, but it was a respite considering that I was saving over ten thousand dollars in the cost of storage over 5 years. Prior to EBTH at one point I was selling accomplished watercolors (22x30") for $20 a piece, as long as I knew that they went into the hands of some one who cared for them. Now my watercolors sell for over $600 at best or $200 at worst.

But money was never the object. Care was the bottom line, the idea of getting collectors who would preserve the work, not because of value per se: I could care less about the value as long as the opportunity to continue producing was there. The approach was to ask for support in the continuance of my mature years for just $1.

I like to add about EBTH's Art Department and Consignment-auctions that their responsibility includes that of providing any seller of art goods FREE mailing labels for up to 125 lbs per item, crate or bundle to deliver to the auction houses. Unlike many a gallery or museum, once the EBTH's Art Department receives the seller's goods, EBTH's Art Department takes on the fiduciary responsibility to represent the seller in every respect, auctioning and acting as a point of sale that covers all transactions including professionally packaging each item to deliver it to the collector-buyer, who in turn pays for the cost of shipping and handling.
Can you visualize how great this can be for any any artist consigning: not having to deal with any collector-buyer at all?
All one knows about the buyer is an anonymous number. The auctions expand through 5 to seven days, the last day and last minutes bids the outbidding can shift at an enormously rapid pace among bidders, some bidders choosing to preset larger amounts than those disclosed.
If I happened to know that many of my sales were from international buyers was because I had to became involved in a few benign troubles with responses to deliveries to the UK. EBTH however would be reticent to disclose names or addresses. The process was maintained absolutely private.

mauras16
1/16/19

Worst auction site ever. Not professional. At all costs, go elsewhere. No responsibility. No ethics. A 60s minutes episode . Ridiculous. Everyone loses.

geraldineo4
1/15/19

My experience, from my first phone call to the actual sale was fantastic. Once they accept your items, they send you a prepaid label to mail the item, from then on they do all the work.

Very satisfied.

joshh162
1/9/19

The process is efficient and thorough. I sell with them two to three times a month. Very professional.

lynneo15
1/9/19

I could gush for quite a while, but every aspect of how this company has done our sale (done in three parts) has been professional. The quality of the photos of my things has certainly served to get them sold. The researched information on each item has been very interesting as well and I've learned things about stuff I've had for years! Thank you EBTH!
Payment in a timely fashion within thirty days (for the first sale of three),GREAT staff, excellent communication. Gushing again.

carob5
1/7/19

My 5 plus purchases were professionally handled and very pleasant with this auction group. EBTH are far above the other online auction houses in every way. Thank goodness for their wonderful service.

lauris10
1/7/19

There were flaws in my item that were both listed descriptively and pictured. I felt satisfied that I had enough information to bid and win. It was slower delivery than I expected it to be, but my purchase was made during the holidays, when everything arrives late. I would rate this one experience an A..

wilburw10
1/5/19

EBTH did not post all articles and did not complete payment for all the items sold.
Integrity of the enterprise certainly substandard

galed23
1/4/19

With anything on the Internet you have to be patient, research, look closely and sometimes ask questions. EBTH gives you the chance to look at items from a far. You have to determine if it meets your needs. Since you not looking at the items in person those items may or may not have issues. But EBTH tries to repeatedly give a good round picture of the product to the buyer. Having purchased many items from EBTH I have been more then happy with the results! If you have questions on an item and do not have the answer, do not buy the item! Auctions are always a gamble. Good Luck!

howardm100
1/3/19

A year after a very disappointing conversation with customer service I was notified I was banned from the site because of a heated debate. This was ,of course, after I won a bid on an expensive item and paid for it plus shipping. Just some vengeance to please a ego of an employee who was not competent to solve an issue. Whole dispute was over very bad description of "mid century " piece of furniture. My opinion is to be very careful before you push the button.

maggic2
1/3/19

EBTH is more about get the money and run and much less about following through with the customer. I DID NOT get a final notice that my bid had won, nor a receipt when the charges were made to my account, or any notification of shipment until a telephone call the day before the delivery was made well after dark (9:00 pm) on a Sunday evening. The chair I bought was ordinary, and I paid $339.00 to have it shipped to me. The only email I received was about whether I would recommend EBTH to my friends. NO I WOULD NOT!

michaelf652
1/2/19

Descriptions are wrong. Customer service is terrible. They do not stand behind what they do. Damage is left out of pictures and descriptions.

Tip for consumers: Stay away!

I am just got through selling items through EBTH, and it has been the worst experience I have ever had. They grouped many expensive items together because they thought it was in the best interest of the company not the seller. I am also currently seeking legal council to potentially file suit against the company for fraudulent business practices. They didn't even give me a copy of their so called "contract", that I had to sign and send in with my items, until there was only 1 hour left in my sale. They left out the most expensive pieces I sent in and didn't sell them at all, didn't find out why until sale was over. As if all this weren't enough, they took real diamonds from the items I sent in to sell and replaced them with "white sapphires". So needless to say, they're probably about to get hit with a heavy lawsuit!!

By Zack J.

Just to let you know ebth customers and consignors are dropping like flies. The arrogant company just terminated nearly 300 employees and closed markets in many states. That means its not growing, its failing.

By Jason J.

I have filed with the BBB and IC3 for internet fraud, and I am writing the Attorney General of Ohio. These guys make the used car salesman of the 60's look like saints. The products are marginal, and the service i mean customer service is non-existent. I also filed a fraud case with my bank, because for 3 week I got the run-around about them shipping the item, I never got it, and they said they couldn't return my money. Not true! In the United States, keeping the money and keeping the merchandise is illegal. Don't let the technology and glam of the website fool you, they are deceptive, dishonest, and you get the 'EVERYTHING BUT WHAT YOU PAID FOR.

By sUSAN w.

I've not sold with them and never would. I've read the responses from people who sold items with these people and if you would like to be ripped off, then by all means go ahead. You'd fair much better by locating an auction house in your area. My experience with this particular bunch of thieves is on the buying end. Photos do not show the big picture, if there is a flaw in any item it will not be in the description and most certainly will not be photographed. The exorbitant shipping charges are insane. I'm not sure if as a seller you would see any profit from shipping, my guess is it goes right into their pockets. This is a very dishonest bunch from top to bottom. Please find a reputable dealer to sell you cherished items, I cannot stress this enough.

By Teri B.

I bid on a pair of Swarovski Crystal Penguins. I was unaware that the larger Penguin was supposed to have a "tail" at the back. It's difficult to see with the cutting of the crystal so I only noticed it when I saw another like item and it had the tail. I closely inspected and can see what I thought was a cut in the crystal is really not smooth and is where the tail should be. The item was delivered on May 12. I put in a claim on July 2 and the company is standing on their 30 day return policy even though they listed as good condition and it was not broken in the box, I've spent thousands of dollars at their site and probably would have continued. The customer service individual refused to let me speak to a manager and just kept repeating the same thing. Now for 134 dollars, I am done with ever buying another thing. Not a good way to run a business. If they are going out....it's no wonder.

By Susan S.

EBTH states their policy clearly. I tend to read the fine print before I engage in a bidding war with anyone....This is their written statement clearly displayed on their page that explains bidding- "Additionally, if an Item receives a bid within the last 5 minutes, the close time will be extended 5 minutes from the time the bid is placed. The time will continue to be extended for 5 minutes with each newly placed bid and the item will not close until 5 minutes have elapsed with no additional bid activity. The Item will say "Ended" once bidding has ended."

By Shelly D.

The fees suddenly rose after articles ere sold but before I was paid.  Several articles were take to be sold but never showed up on the site.  Some items were evidently sold but I received not payment for them.

By Wilbur w.

They simply dont care.  These FAKE positive reviews are nothing more than a band aid to elude customers and investors.  Investors are dropping like flies and EBTH is scrambling to find some more suckers.  Glassdoor exposes EBTH for what it is.  They certainly dont care about employees so why would they care about customers.

By Jason J.

All I can say is that has NOT been our experience. When I have had questions, I was either called or emailed in a timely fashion. Even dumb questions!

By Lynne O.

You should count your blessings that they have not contacted you. There are plenty of legitimate auction companies out there that will sell your items.

By Jason J.
Questions? Get answers from the EverythingButTheHouse staff and other customers.

EverythingButTheHouse?