Madisonseating

Madisonseating has a consumer rating of 3.6 stars from 263 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Madisonseating also ranks 44th among Furniture sites. The most common issues with Madisonseating are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

• After contacting their customer service they were quick to respond and have agreed to send me a replacement chair.
  • Use the sizing chart with caution or, better yet, call Madison Seating and speak with a sales rep before you buy.

• And very rude and arrogant attitude on customer service.
  • Ordered from another country, when the chair came, I find that this is not a new chair leap and refurbished.
How would you rate Madisonseating?

“Madison Seating Steelcase V2”

Chase F.
8/14/20

Madison Seating has great prices for the products you look for. I ordered a Steelcase chair back in June and ordered the chair to my home. The chair was delivered in July mostly assembled. The only issue I had was the left arm chair was stuck in the lowest setting. After contacting their customer service they were quick to respond and have agreed to send me a replacement chair. Annie from their customer support team did a great job communicating and providing a resolution.

“Damaged Product Standard Operating Procedure at Madison Seating”

Victor T.
9/1/20

Please beware that "open box" means scratch and dent. Madison Seating buries this information in the fine print of their page long conditions page. Also beware of the hefty restocking fees of $150. And, then there's the cost to ship the product back. In my case two chairs would cost $540. That's two thirds the price of the chairs. But of course the photo shown on the website is of a perfect chair with absolutely no scratches or snags. Buyer beware. Buyer go elsewhere.

customer service (96) chair (203) herman miller (36) office chairs (16) replacement chair (10) credit card (8) 14 days (6) replacement part (8) company (65) open box (24) order (128) 3 weeks (8)
victort152
September 1st, 2020
mattu16
June 17th, 2020
Absolutely ridiculous customer service. I was quoted 10-14 business days to delivery. At around 10 business days, I reached out asking for an update, because the status was still "open" and not "shipped", and received a canned response about waiting the full 14 business days. Well, here we are, reached back out, and was now told up to an additional 3 weeks. There are reviews about this issue going well before Covid-19 restrictions. Completely inexcusable and unprofessional.
michaell390
February 13th, 2018
I purchased a Herman Miller chair from Madison seating a few years ago. Within 2 years the armrest material (? Leather) began to crack and look awful. Madison seating sent me a complimentary replacement pair which I installed myself. 3 years later, new armrests are cracking again! When I called today I was told they won't replace these and that I should go to eBay to get a replacement set. Even though the manufacturer (Herman Miller) warranties the arm rests for 12 years, the reseller (Madison seating) refuses to do so. For me it's all about customer service and this represents poor service.
michaelg2318
July 17th, 2020
Piling on the inventory and non communication issues, I ordered a chair, waited 14 business days, and asked politely for an update. At least, unlike some here, I got an honest answer on the first try. They told me the promo I purchased under allowed me to purchase the wrong thing, they didn't really have it, but they had this other one in a different size, different features, and a different color. At no time in the intervening three weeks did I get any notification whatsoever, and I assume I never would have.
chasef17
August 14th, 2020
jeffb1116
August 25th, 2020
Placed an order. They said 10-14 days for shipping and they would email shipping information within that time period. A week went by and no communication, so I decided to check in for an update. Received another generic email saying 10-14 days and they would email shipping information. 14 days goes by so I email again. Now I get another email telling me there is a delay and it will be another 2-3 weeks. For a used chair they supposedly have in stock. I'm canceling my order.
shanem166
January 24th, 2020
We had a chair will a small issue, and even though we were late reporting the issue, Madison Seating still sent us a brand new chair at no additional cost. We buy all of our office chairs from Madison Seating, because of the great prices and service. If you are in the market for good office chairs and don't want to pay a ridiculous amount, I highly advise you look nowhere else other than Madison Seating.
scottw977
September 10th, 2020
Purchased a Steelcase Leap chair in March. It saw very little use until this month when my wife started using it while teaching at home. The pneumatic lifter is broken, and gradually lowers when you sit in it until it is at its lowest level. We were told they would repair it if we sent the entire chair back, and paid an additional $75 shipping to send it back to us... that's about $125 round trip for an under-warranty repair. Contacted Steelcase and they identify Madisonseating as a grey market reseller, frequently reselling used items as new or misrepresenting older models as new. The series of emails I had with them can only be described as hostile on their part, with no solution being offered that didn't wind up costing us significantly. In addition, the warranty on their site states "All items sold as new will include a (1) year warranty from the manufacturer directly." This is patently not true, as we discovered when we approached Steelcase. They are NOT licensed resellers and cannot offer this warranty. We will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. Buying from them is NOT recommended.
dc771
September 8th, 2020
In my opinion, stay away from Madison. Still trying to get what I ordered two months ago. They make promises they apparently have no intention of keeping. I just disputed the credit card charge.
curtism163
September 4th, 2020
Much like many of the other reviewers experience, I ordered an office chair from Madison Seating that their site listed as in-stock. When my order was placed I got an immediate response stating the shipping would be in 10-14 business days. That time frame passed and I did not receive any update or notification on this order. I contacted their customer service department department via email and they sent out a vague automated response siting the COVID-19 pandemic. I responded to them asking for for further information--and to confirm that they did in fact have the chair as advertised but basically got the same response worded a different way. An entire month went by and they provided no further update. When I asked for one I received almost word for word the same automated response blaming the pandemic and giving me another vague window as to when the item would arrive.

Since I could not verify a time where I should expect a chair, nor obtain a tracking number, nor obtain actual proof that item existed in stock, nor get updated information on what precisely the hold up was (several companies have been able to ship and handle orders during these times) I had to cancel my order. Perhaps in more normal times this would have gone far smoother--but as of this date I cannot recommend ordering from these dealers at this time.
matth459
September 9th, 2020
Have been waiting over 2 Months for a "Instock" Herman Miller Aeron seat that was supposed to ship in 14 days or less. All I get is excuses why our seat hasn't shipped. We were a repeat buyer up until now. We can't even get an order update unless we reach out. Terrible!
andrewd828
July 24th, 2020
They sold me an item that was old (over 15 years old). They simply repainted parts and added parts that are not Herman Miller, still calling it "open box". Customer service was horrendous. They offered me a $100 credit. When I tried to accept, they rescinded the credit. Terrible business model. No wonder they were sued by Herman Miller.
timt373
April 27th, 2020
The title says it all really, I had issues arise due to the current economical situation, and their customer support allowed me to cancel nearly immediately without hassle. Very grateful. Will return to do business in the future after this settles down
calaverasg
January 8th, 2020
Purchased a Herman Miller Aeron chair on their website 12/27. Here I am 12 days later and it still has not shipped. When I contact the company they tell me they can't cancel an order over the phone.
When I email them, they dispute the date the order was placed. Tell me I 'agreed to 10-14 day shipping'. They also insist that I agree to a 5% order cancellation fee.
At no point do they apologize or make any effort to make sure I am going to remain a customer. Just a lot of finger jabbing at the customer and snotty tone.
Stay far away from this company. You can find similar prices elsewhere.
claudiat75
February 26th, 2020
So, my daughter had asked for a table that with every order we placed with about 5 different stores/companies we found out that it was discontinued/out of stock. I found Madison Seating on the internet and gave them a try as their service department advised me that they were expecting to receive it from the manufacturer. They kept me advised of the status of the order and shipped it as soon as it was received in the warehouse. The table itself was a breeze to put together and looks lovely.
davee300
August 14th, 2020
Ordered an Aeron Remastered v2 Lumbar Support, photo and description did match the product received. I felt it was false advertising. When I sent a complaint to Madison and disputed the charge to my credit card, I was quickly threatened with a civil lawsuit. Days after my credit card company stopped payment, Madison offered to credit me $100. I declined and asked to send the chair back. Eventually, they succumbed and sent me a return shipping label. I do not recommend purchasing anything from this site. I should have done better research, as I now understand that Madison Seating and their owner were previously sued by Herman Miller (the manufacturer of the Aeron chair) and settled.
danielk648
July 6th, 2020
DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. SENT ME A BROKEN CHAIR AND ARE DEMANDING I PAY FOR ITS RETURN.
kirstenh57
August 11th, 2020
Now that I am working from home, I needed a comfortable chair with lumbar support. I ended up purchasing the same chair that we have at work because I already knew it was comfortable and durable. The company was quick responding to all of my questions.
alexandero58
July 24th, 2020
Moving cross country, we didn't ship our office chair because because Madison said it would be delivered to the new address on time (10 to 15 business days). The order confirmation repeated this time frame. As the end of the time frame approached, we reached out to Madison to confirm it would be arriving (as we had not heard anything yet, such as a tracking number or that it had been shipped) and they said due to Covid-19 delays, it would be an additional two weeks. We thought this was odd given that their website continued to say the same chair would arrive in 10 to 15 days if we were to order it that same day, but oh well. Two weeks pass, and we don't hear anything back, so we again reach out, and they respond that it will be as much as another month before the chair will arrive. At this point we cancelled our order. They clearly do not have what they are selling in stock, and instead of listing them as Back-ordered, they are continuing to sell products with a promise on the site and in the order confirmation e-mails as if they will be delivered on time. Then, they won't reach out to you and let you know your orders is delayed (by months!?!), but will wait for you to contact them. They blame Covid-19, but the issue is that they are promising to deliver something they can't, something they don't have in stock, lying to customers about this, and then stringing customers along. We ended up cancelling our order and buying our chair locally now that we've long since moved cross-country.
jb1733
June 25th, 2020
We ordered two chairs and when one of them wasn't available, someone from MadisonSeating reached out and offered a replacement. Once the matter was resolved, they arrived in just a few days. One of our chairs needed a replacement part and our inquiry email was answered quickly and promptly with a solution.
sherria34
November 6th, 2019
I ordered 12 office chairs, 6 of on style and 6 of another, spending almost $6k. They all came damaged, plastic peeling off, missing parts, and no instructions. When I contacted Madison Seating (many times) their customer service is horrible and they will not help you, at all. Please do not give this company anymore business!

Tip for consumers: DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM MADISON SEATING!

nasirq1
April 2nd, 2020
Please please... don't ever buy from this business
I bought a chair from them which was defective... and they never responded to my complain when I file a complaint with BBB they responded to me saying why I went to BBB and they won't approve the warranty
Save your self some trouble and stay away from this merchant
lysae
September 2nd, 2020
I ordered the product and the shipping originally said it would ship in 10 - 14 business days, with delays due to covid-19. I never thought the delays would mean 2+ months. This information should be clearly communicated to customers before purchase.

I never received a shipment email and asked Madison Seating about my order. They told me the order would ship 1 month from the order date. After 1 month, I had to email them again and they told me it would ship 1.5 - 2 months from the order date. Madison Seating clearly does not have the product in stock, and does not notify users correctly of this stock. Had I known shipping would take a minimum of 2 months I would have never ordered a chair from them. Insanely misleading and frustrating experience.
mattt260
April 23rd, 2020
I purchased a Herman Miller Aeron chair that was supposed to ship in 10-14 business days. This is slow, but I was willing to wait because the price was very good. After 14 business days passed with no updates, I contacted customer service. They stated that the chair I ordered was out-of-stock. I never received a notification of it being out-of-stock during the three weeks I waited, nor did their website indicate this.

Although they offered to substitute a different chair size after I reached out, I was told this would take another 10-14 business days. They then cancelled my order without my permission. Better online retailers would usually offer an apology, explanation, or maybe even an incentive to keep my business, but nothing here.

Just to test it, I found I was still able to put my original order into my cart on the site with no indication it was out-of-stock, despite being told it was out-of-stock. I asked them why I would still be able to order something that was not in-stock, but they replied they are updating their site.

I understand that this is a difficult period for businesses, but in the current year, there is no reason why a customer should not be able to be informed something is out-of-stock when it is ordered. Having someone wait for three weeks for nothing is absurd. And why is domestic shipping even that slow for an in-stock item?

With a little searching I found some other retailers with similar prices and better reviews. I took my business elsewhere and suggest you do the same.
jeremya170
June 12th, 2020
I received my a Steel Case Leap V1 and put it together just to find out that the chair wobbled side to side. Besides that, the chair is in good condition. So, I reached out to the customer service and got a quick courteous response. They offered to replace the chair at no cost to me if I wrote this review.

How can i cancel?

Please email service@madisonseating.com with your order number to request to cancel a transaction.

By madison s.,

Hi Joyce. Feel free to reach out to our customer care department by emailing customerservice@madisonseating.com

By madison s.,

As an online company we are vigilant about fraud. You provided an invalid credit card number that was being declined by our processor. Your order has a high fraud rating and was flagged. If a customer is indeed legitimate and not looking to commit online fraud, they would have rectified the situation with the credit card and simply placed a new order online.

See more answers (2)

Thank you for your interest in Madison Seating, currently the largest retailer in North America for brand name office chairs at the lowest prices possible! The "Open Box Specials" featured on our website are a great way to save money on the best selling chairs on the market today. These brand name chairs are being sold for more than half off their retail value and will include free shipping! "Open Box" simply means, the item is out of the original packaging. The chair was either, returned, refurbished, on display or has been in inventory for awhile and since been placed on a clearance. The merchandise is in perfect working condition. In addition, you will be provided with a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee and 10-year Madison Seating warranty. We are so confident that our prices are currently the lowest on the internet we are willing to not only match but beat anyone selling these item(s) at a lower cost. Best regards, Allie Madison Seating 888-704-3435

See more answers (2)

Hi Alice. Thank you for your inquiry! Our records indicate that you placed an order with our company on 5/19/15. At that time, you were told the delivery time frame would be around 10-14 business days. Your chair is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow which is right within the time frame we estimated. The chair you purchased was part of our clearance sale section and the prices are reduced considerably so that yourr savings will be several hundred dollars. Due to the tremendous response on our clearance sale items, the delivery time gets estimated at 10-14 business days. Our customer's are willing to wait the extra few days on the shipping since our prices and services cannot be beat. Your purchase includes a 30 day satisfaction guarantee and 10 year warranty with Madisonseating.com. Feel free to contact our customer service department directly for more information relating specifically to your order. Enjoy your new chair!

See more answers (2)

Thank you for your interest in our products and services. The Herman Miller Aeron chair is part of our open box close out sale. That is why the price is heavily discounted from the retail value of $1000 + to the sale price of $400+. The "Open Box Specials" featured on our website are a great way to save money on the best selling chairs on the market today. These brand name chairs are being sold for more than half off their retail value and will include free shipping! "Open Box" simply means, the item is out of the original packaging. The chair was either, returned, refurbished, on display or has been in inventory for awhile and since been placed on a clearance. The merchandise is in perfect working condition. In addition, you will be provided with a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee and 10-year Madison Seating warranty. Madisonseating has been in business for over 14 years selling the Aeron chair. We have a 99.9% positive rating on eBay and Amazon, where we offer our open box specials as well. We are so confident that our prices are currently the lowest on the internet we are willing to not only match but beat anyone selling these item(s) at a lower cost. We look forward to fulfilling all your office chair needs. Best regards, Allie Madison Seating 888-704-3435

By madison s.,

Hi Joyce, Our company name is Madisonseating.com.

By madison s.,

Patricia. We understand there was an error in the color chair you received. We offered to pick up the chair at our expense and issue a full refund as we are now sold out of the blue Aeron chair. We did not intentionally ship you an incorrect color chair. Mistakes happen. This was an honest mistake done by a packer, probably due to the holiday rush. The color black and blue are hard to discern on a mesh chair. Please return the chair at this point as your reaction to the error has been a tad excessive.

By madison s.,

Hi Lonnie. We do not simply cancel orders without there being a good reason. Your placed (2) separate orders with us and it appears you are confused by your purchases. The first order was processed successfully with the payment you provided and shipped in a timely manner. You were emailed a confirmation of this order along with an order number assigned for that transaction. On the second order you attempted to place you provided a new email address and an invalid credit card number. The order was flagged as a potentially fraudulent transaction and subsequently canceled. Again, an email confirmation with a DIFFERENT order number was emailed to you along with a notification indicating there was an issue with the payment provided. It appears you may have gotten confused by your own purchases. We are always available if you need further clarification on these 2 separate purchases.

By madison s.,

The warranty we offer covers any mechanical issues that may arise during normal use of the product

By madison s.,

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Madisonseating staff and other customers.

madisons20
madison s.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Madisonseating?

Have a question about Madisonseating?