Review of Delta

delta_dns@delta.com
2017 Customer choice award

ruths88
8/1/17

I am writing about my recent experience with Delta which has left me shocked and in utter despair. I hope that I can get through to someone how badly this airline is perceived and how shabbily my daughter and I have been treated throughout our experience.
I will await an acceptable response but if none is forthcoming I will begin posting our experience to all travel sites I can think of.
Chapter 1
My daughter and I were booked to fly DL 1425 Baltimore to Atlanta and DL 108 Atlanta to Madrid on July 25.
We arrived at Baltimore airport where we were met by the most sullen officious Delta ground staff representative. No pleases or thankyous, just barks orders to give her our passports and put our cases on the carousel. I attempted to engage but got nothing but monosyllabic responses. By this time the flight had been delayed 3 times in increments of minutes.
We then went to the departure gate to discover that our flight had been delayed yet again, initially told that it was a mechanical issue and then due to weather conditions. When we finally boarded, the plane took off but began to circle several times to await the passing of a storm but wind sheer forced the plane to divert to South Carolina. We sat on the tarmac in South Carolina for over an hour before the plane eventually took off again for Atlanta.
As we were descending, I asked the flight staff for information on the Madrid flight which, by this time, we knew we would miss. They were pleasant but reassured us that we would be taken care of by ground staff in Atlanta.
Of course by the time we got to Atlanta, the Madrid flight had left and it was disarray/chaos. I used the phone service to attempt to rebook but still had to stand in an eternal line to get boarding passes re-issued. 45 minutes later I got to the desk and was issued boarding cards now for the 11.25 to Paris and then ultimately from Paris to Madrid. I asked about our cases and was assured that they would be transferred and that Delta had a flawless record for ensuring that passenger belongings always follow the rerouted journeys. However, no apology for the delay. Fascinating that the first rule of customer service, at least in my view would be to issue a personal apology it helps.
When we finally got to Madrid 9 hours delayed, we stood in line for our cases. Of course they didnt arrive.
Noone knew who to make contact with but someone suggested that we go to Deltas partner airline, Air France as the last airline we flew to arrive in Madrid slowly followed by several passengers in the same position.
The staff was obnoxious, rude and totally unhelpful . They said that one of our cases had arrived and insisted we hadnt looked properly. They had no clue about the other case and threw a piece of paper at us with an international telephone number and told us to call it. I asked if there was any compensation, emergency money for nightware whilst we awaited our luggage. The response was to give us a flight kit with toothpaste and advice to go buy what we needed but that compensation wouldnt exceed 100 Euros. In other words, we had to be out of pocket and wait months for any compensation at all.
The worst part - there was no apology. They just didnt care and had no vested interest in even attempting to reassure us.
Chapter 2
We arrive at our hotel and try to call the number given to us. The office is already closed. I try the US number cant get through. We call the following morning we wait on line for 45 minutes with no luck. We asked the hotel to call on our behalf. I called Delta in The United States. My husband called Delta in The United States. When we eventually spoke to someone, the stories ranged from:
one case is on its way but we dont know where the other one is
both cases are still in Atlanta and coming today
one case will be here today
Ultimately my daughters case arrived at the hotel the evening of the following day. I called yet again about my case and was told it was still in Atlanta.
I called again the following morning and was finally told that it was on its way but no guarantee of when it would get to the hotel.
My husband in The United States and I spent probably 2 or 3 hours on the phone, on the internet and asking hotel staff to keep calling on our behalf.
I was in Madrid for a 5 day trip and was without everything I had brought for 3 out of the 5 days so had.
We had to purchase clothing essentials and cosmetics since a lot of those items were in my case.
From arrival at our hotel at around 5:45 pm we spent the next 3 hours trying to find essentials in a city we had never visited.
I am absolutely devastated by this experience and spent 3 days, including our travel arrival days stressed about how to go about trying to get someone to listen to us and above all be honest with us.
Major problems:
Honesty. Dont just say anything to placate the passenger at least be truthful and communicate.
Apology. So important.
Pleasant/friendly. Your airline is light miles away from accomplishing this predominantly at the ground staff level.
The only mitigating factor was the service in the air but given our experience, it really didnt help. Your flight staff, for all except the return flight home on July 31 from Madrid to JFK, were pleasant and generally provided decent customer service.

Tip for consumers: I wouldn't recommend this airline if you really value customer service.

tims162
7/31/17

Compared to any other service provider, all airlines stink unless you can buy the most expensive seat on the plane. But compared to the rest, delta is very consistent and that makes them better than the rest. Delta is my first choice for getting hosed by an airline. At Least with Delta you know generally how it is going to go down and what they will do when it is worse than usual. In the battle of low expectations, Delta and Fly Delta website will let you down the least. And that sort of makes them the best?!

amandag98
4/11/17

Dear Delta,
I recently flew with your company on flight DL1172- from Santa Ana to Atlanta on January 18th, 2017 at 6:45am. This was the absolute worst experience I have ever had flying with an airline. First and foremost, this flight was suppose to have complimentary tv screens and charging ports, but when I got to the gate they explained that they would not be working on this flight. This was a huge inconvenience for me and made this five-hour flight absolutely miserable. Especially since I could not do any of my work that I was suppose to do on my iPad since I couldn?t do it since it was dead. In addition, my phone was dead as well because I didn?t charge either of them the night before because I was suppose to be able to charge it on the plane. I tried to sleep however; the person behind me kept pushing my chair forward who was really aggravated me since I asked them twice to stop. For this inconvenience your flight attendance did not offer anything to compensate such as premium food or drinks for free; absolutely nothing. Which I thought was absolutely ridiculous because the main reason why I flew with you is for the complimentary services you offer as well as the quality and reliable service delta is known for; in which your company did not provide to me. I?m completely dissatisfied with your company and the way they handle situations when problems arise.

pattym15
4/25/16

To Whom it may concern,
On April 1st 2016 on a Delta flight number -DL 1852 from Pittsburgh, PA to Fort Lauderdale Florida with one stop in New York ...we as passengers were boarded , only to an hour later de-plane and were told that the flight would not leave for another two hours, causing me and many others to miss our connection to Florida later that evening, which also was the last flight for that night. I approached the clerk at the counter and politely asked her what my options were, giving the fact that I was attending a wedding at noon she then very rudely told me to "wait" which I did. I was traveling with five of my employees and one of them was having a baby this weekend which his wife had already started to begin with her first contractions... After waiting for an hour not knowing what was going on we approached the angry lady again and once more politely I asked her if possible to at least get him home even though I had to attend a weeding at 12:30pm the following day as one of the bridesmaids I wouldn't mind leaving first thing in the morning... Why is makeup or hair important at at wedding when you're in it right? But that was seriously irrelevant if I could at least have time to quickly change and at least be in the wedding and not disappoint my best friend. Sure enough the woman grew angrier and uglier when I said I'll be ok, but please get him a seat anywhere from here to either West Palm Beach or Miami or even Tampa... I can get him a driver from there to drive him the five hrs home, his wife is already having contractions. To my surprise, the Delta employer by the name of Laurie L. told me in a loud tone in front of my employees to "shut up" and "sit back down" as if I was her child or 5 years old. I have to say that after 17 years traveling and doing business in all 50 states I have NEVER been told to shut up or been treated in that matter specially in front of people that work for me!!! I then asked her several times to speak with her supervisor, it wasn't until she laughed on my face five or six times that I asked the pilot himself to get me one and I was then sent to her "little guy" by the name of Mathew Brown (as he called himself) to solve the problem. Mathew was a nice guy, who was nice enough to apologize for her actions, but told me to write this letter because he was just one of the little managers and if I needed any type of Assistence to go to the "superiors" He then proceeded to approach the mad woman and asked her to "take a walk and chill out" with the same loud and rude voice she replied to him "I am NOT GOING ANYWHERE!!! I'm staying right here!!!" What is that? What kind of company allows a host to treat not only the customers in that kind of matter and disrespect, but also speak to her supervisor that way? This is completely out of character for me to do, write about an incident or even make it public, but this woman doesn't deserve to be dealing with people, nor animals or anything that breathes for that matter. Please people...If you're having a miserable day, stay home... Other people don't need to be miserable with you!!!! #deltaairlines#morelove#lesshate#
Lovewhatyoudo#getanotherjob. #delta. SAD

Sincerely yours,

One UNHAPPY ex-loyal costumer

zeidaj
3/7/16

Oil prices have plummeted and airlines, Delta included have not lowered their Florida fares for off summer seasons. This will only force folks to drive, which is fine with us but Shameful for airlines showing such greed. We are avid travelers but will be using other means and will not cave in to companies that are not adjusted prices to reflect Oil price decreases. Hard to trust.

josephb89
2/25/16

After flying with Delta my wife was told to leave my son at home to make a connecting flight. Their customer service are rude and unhelpful. The issue was never solved and to top it off they call my cousin a liar.

terrym83
12/12/15

I tried to send it back but they won't take it. 2 yes 2 !!! 5 hour layovers in a row, must be going for a record. Just trying to fill them darn planes.
I'll keep trying though , just NOT with them; Delta Blows...just sayin...Terry Montgomery

kenw51
10/27/15

I have done extensive travel in my life and Delta has been my choice whenever I choose an airline. The pricing and the options are easy to use.

bonniem32
7/10/14

I have flown Delta a number of times and it's been a real mixed bag. Sometimes it great but other times it is so frustrating. Some of the staff are great but then there are times customer service need to learn that they are there to serve the customers and not to treat them in a dismissive manner. Management need to get more consistency if they want loyalty from customers like me. Delta could do better.

rangan1
5/30/14

I am a medallion with Delta. The customer service is excellent. However the website sucks. Very slow, hangs some times and worse, after a completing the purchase (and payment) involving a credit from previous ticket, it dropped the booking entirely. I called the customer service and they took care of me. I hear that this happens frequently. This is unacceptable for any web purchase site, let alone for the likes of Delta. They need to look into this and fix.

douglasr8
2/6/14

I only use delta when it is the only available flight. I will never use them for international flights.
They have cancelled more flights, lost and damaged more bags, and supplied the most incompetent and rude customer service I have ever received. Their solution is always a few dollars voucher for food, or the biggest I received was a $50 voucher for a selection from an internet site. All the choices were junk I did not want, flowers, jewelry, restaurants I do not frequent, and travel coupons.
All the US airlines have gone down to the bottom compared to Asian and European airlines, but Delta is the worst or the worst!

leog16
9/1/13

Last trip Amsterdam to Detroit, great service, booked direct trough out their website No Problems what so ever.

donam2
4/23/13

Site is great, but if you have to call be prepared for a long wait time on hold! In the end, after about 20 minutes someone did finally help me get my frequent flyer account sorted out. Overall def. just 3 stars. Shorten the on-hold time and I'd rate it 4!

karaj3
8/3/11

I'm surprised more people have not reviewed Delta. I had an incredibly underwhelming experience with them a few weeks back. They had taken miles out of my account, and after 4 days, 3 customer service reps, more than 10 hours on the phone, and countless emails, tweets, and facebook postings, the miles were finally recredited. When the airline is at fault, it should not be the customer who suffers. I will continue to try to find alternatives until Delta improves.

oliviam
9/24/10

I usually use discount sites for travel plans (like travelocity, expedia, etc) but booking my most recent flights, I actually found it to be cheaper to book directly through Delta. Just thought everyone should know. So often being busy we just use the discount sites and don't even check out the main ones even more. Although I'm sure dates and times and airports still play into pricing, it's been worth it to go to the site itself in this case.

22 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the Delta staff and other customers.

Delta?