Review of Expedia

domains@expedia.com
2017 Customer choice award

loganh36
12/15/17

Do not fall for spending the extra $35 to protect your flight in case you have to change or cancel.

They will give you every excuse not to give you back your money. Literally had to hound them for 2 months just to get a partial refund (countless emails, hour upon hours of phone conversations with customer support, and even using the prehistoric fax machine).

I would highly recommend avoiding booking flights with expedia in general but if you have to you better be 99.9% sure you won't have to cancel or change flight because their protection plan is absolutely worthless.

michaelc562
12/14/17

Attending a conference in Austin so I book my hotel and airline ticket through Expedia. After my trip, I need the detailed hotel expense breakdown (room price per day, room tax, etc.) receipt in order to submit my expense report instead of a total hotel change that Expedia sent me via email. I called Expedia several times and requested for a detailed hotel expanse breakdown receipt from them and I got the same answer that they will send it to me within 24 to 48 hours. They never did!!! I called again and again, and finally got in touch with their support supervisor and she sent me the 'itinerary' instead, TWICE. At this time, I still did not receive anything from Expedia and I'm mad as hell.

sydneyt15
12/9/17

For the past few weeks, I have been trying to cancel a booking that I made on Expedia, but nobody from any tier of Expedia has successfully accomplished anything to help me and I am beyond dissatisfied.I booked a hotel via trip advisor, and saw that I was able to get the hotel I wanted through a better price through Expedia.
I was confident that the hotel I saw on Expedia was the hotel that I wanted, so I booked a non-refundable rate; however, once I received my receipt, the hotel Expedia booked me for was not the same. I called the first time and spoke to an Expedia agent who was definitely Indian and explained to her my situation. I told her that the hotel on Expedia was not linked up the same, so they needed to do something on their end since it was their fault. She agreed and seemed to totally understand my disappointment.
She called the hotel while we were on the phone to see if she could get it cancelled; however, the hotel was closed at the time she called. She said she would email me the next day after the calling the hotel. The next morning, I received an email; however, the hotel denied my request to cancel. At this point I was started to get a bit agitated considering that I had evidence that this was Expedia's fault.
I replied to their emails with screenshots of TripAdvisor showing one hotel, and a screenshot of the incorrect hotel after clicking on the Expedia link from that hotel. After about 2 days, I received an email saying that the hotel denied my request once again. At this point, I was determined to speak to somebody to tell me why they denied this request even though I had evidence that this was their fault. Again, I explained the situation to an Indian woman, and at the end of my story, she says, "Okay, so you are calling to cancel your reservation?" I was sure she did not understand English, and to prove I was correct, I asked her, "Why did I say I was cancelling?" She would have been able to understand this since I explained this whole issue to her and she had the emails right in front of her.
She replied with, "Ma'am I see that you have a reservation and you are calling to cancel. I can call the hotel if you like to see if they will cancel your reservation." At this point, I was done. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and luckily, she understood. I spoke to a man named "Kevin" who actually understood the situation.
He said he would pass the issue on to his corporate manager. He gave me a reference number and told me that somebody would contact me within 3 business days. After spending 30 minutes on the phone, I was sure that the issue would be resolved by the next time I talked. I ended up waiting 5 business days with no email or phone call from Expedia updating me with this situation.
I called Expedia once again and ended up spending an hour on the phone trying to get this issue resolved. I ended up getting transferred to a woman named Jamila from the corporate Expedia office, and she told me to send a copy of my bank statement showing that I had paid from an email she provided. Before I was able to do this, our call was disconnected. I used the email that Jamila provided and gave her the information that I had.
The hotel collects their payment onsite according to Expedia, so no money has been paid. All I want is to cancel the reservation. I have a lot of evidence showing that this is Expedia's mistake. Nobody has ever contacted me and I want this issue to be resolved.
Because of Expedia's mistake, I am stuck with a hotel I don't want, and I have spent countless hours trying to resolve this issue with little success. Today, I tried contacting Expedia through Facebook again with all of my evidence, but nothing can be done. They accepted that it may have been a site error, but they refuse to cancel my reservation. Absolutely F- customer service.
This has been a huge waste of time and energy.
I will NEVER buy anything from Expedia again.I have truly thought about suing the company, but it's not worth the $300 they stole from me.

helend59
12/8/17

I had a very bad experience in this 5 star hotel and am going to share it with everyone. I checked in around 10pm on Nov 9, 17 (3 nights). On the morning after, my husband & I went down to lobby to get breakfast around 8:45am, 45 minutes later he came back to the room and found out that the cash envelope was left inside his wallet was gone (all cash /1,140 usd). He reported it to the front office and the manager came in with IT technician to check the door lock, which showed a housekeeper opened the lock at 9:05am and my husband came to open it again at 9:43am. We were asking local Zurich polices to investigate and also do a request fingerprint search + floor hallway camera search but both sides (hotel manager and 3 police officers) denied my request. The hotel manager brought the housekeeper who serviced my room and her supervisor in but of course that lady said "NO", even though her face looked very pale. After more than an hour interviewing ours and that lady (separately), everything was gone. And then, late that evening I got a police report like that: "Die unbekannte Taterschaft entwendet Bargeld aus einer Umhangetasche, wetche im Hotelzimmer auf dem Burotisch abgestellt war. Sie fluchtet unerkannt in unbekannte Richtung."
I brought this to get translate from all customers in Lobby they all shook their head on this story. After 45 minutes have passed after the incident happened, the front end manager and 3 local police officers could not find out who is and all customers in lobby said those officers + manager tried to cover up to their employee. When police officers and the manager were in our room, I told them this: I had been through many many hotels for much traveling and that I made a big mistake to put my #1 trust in this 5 star Marriott hotel and also to very honest Switzerland people while all of them were ready to betray mine. Even though there was proof from when the IT technician retrieved the data of the times when the door lock was opened which showed the housekeeper was the one who came into my room in that time frame, they claimed that they could not find any conclusion. I showed the police report to everyone and all have had big laugh on it. How about yours?? I would need more opinions about this. All though will be very much appreciated.

Tip for consumers: I still kept the local Zurich report for a good proof.

alecsandrag
12/8/17

Expedia was a very wrong choice for booking my flight tickets.
1. Now I wait since almost 10 days for #Expedia to process my legal name change request. They closed my first case on this topic telling me that my new name was already changed on the flight reservation which was not true. Now I am being told that #CathayPacific does not allow legal name change due to marriage, which is contradictory to what is written on Cathay's webpage and with the information provided by Cathay customer team. (case 351112088; S-151709190)
2. Last time when they processed a similar request for a different flight ticket, they re-issued the ticket by omitting the second passenger from the reservation. I wasted cca 6 hours on the line, on the day prior my flight to get the second passenger back on the ticket.

frankj77
12/6/17

My wife, daughter, mother and i was shown a beautiful picture of a nice hotel and 2 nice rooms at $580 for two nights, when we arrived there, the office was dirty, the clerk showed us the rooms, the refrigerator had rust in them, the room was dusty, it was a mildew smell in it, I told them it was unacceptable, they told me it was non-refundable, Travelocity is owned by Expedia neither one would refund my money! I'll never use either again!!!

puneetm3
12/1/17

The staff make sure that I am taken care and it is awesome, They called to make sure that I got a new flight when one was canceled and fixed a name change

danieller68
11/29/17

Just horrible.

Let me preface this review by saying that I have been an Expedia customer for years. Throughout that time, I have booked 15 reservations that totals almost $8,000.

I have been a loyal customer that has even encouraged family members to book through the site for their travels needs as well.

I can say that I will NEVER use Expedia again.

It turns out that Delta had made adjustments to my flight from the Bahamas back to San Diego. Since I had booked the initial reservation through Expedia, it was Expedia's responsibility to notify me of the changes (the Customer Success representative confirmed this). They DID NOT.

We arrived at the airport to find that the reservation had been changed and that the confirmation email I had from Expedia was no longer valid. As a result, we had to spend a night layover in Atlanta.

I called Expedia the following day (I was on the call for an hour and a half). We had missed a day of work due to their lack of communication and had to pay for a hotel in Atlanta out of pocket.

I wasn't asking to be reimbursed for the flight. I was simply asking to be reimbursed $150 for the hotel and Ubers (we stayed in the cheapest hotel we could find).

As a loyal customer, you'd think that this company would be willing to simply reimburse me with $150. They refused.

The customer service was terrible, and they said the best they could do would be to offer me a $50 travel voucher to be used through Expedia in the future.

Icing on the cake: my grandparents had actually booked our entire trip to the Bahamas through Expedia as well. When we all got to the hotel to check in, the hotel didn't have reservations from Expedia for 2 of the rooms.

Expedia- you lost a customer (not like you care). And to anyone out there looking to book travel arrangements, avoid this company at all costs.

ahmedm81
11/29/17

you always end up paying more than what you agreed to. customer service is $#*! and rude, also they put your number on list if you complain a lot to make sure they make your life hell. They stopped answering my emails or calls.

leendertv2
11/28/17

I tried to book airline tickets, but when you want to make the payment, the website says that the payment details are incorrect, but then they took some money from my account anyway. Rather look for another website.

zahinap
11/28/17

Flight Billing and Refunds - Itin: 1181168026029 - Case ID : [REQ:S-150040790]

My flight from Caracas to Miami 10/31/17 was cancelled by Santa Barbara Airlines. I have called multiple times to Expedia and there is no answer to my case. They just say they need to wait to Santa Barbara answer over and over again. I did not make my reservation using Santa Barbara. I did it with Expedia and is almost a month with out an answer. Where should I call to solve this problem

thomasl145
11/27/17

In booking a reservation that called for an overnight connection from one carrier to another, I made an error on the departure leg. In attempting to rectify "my error" I contacted the customer service department of Expedia on the same day that I booked my flight's. Basically, this is what transpired:
1) There appeared to be a language barrier between myself and the customer service representative. However, we worked together for approximately an hour to move my departure flight from the 15th to the 14th of the same month.
2) In order to rectify my error, Expedia cannot just cancel the initial leg and rebook for the earlier date, but had to cancel the "entire" trip and rebook both the departure and return flight's. Btw, the date for the return leg did not need to be canceled.
3) The customer service representative began booking the departure flights that called for an overnight connection, and then began to charge me a point-to-point fare, ie. origination city to connection city = "x" dollars and then the connection city to the destination city for "x" dollars. He began to do the same thing on my return itinerary. Having worked in the airline business several years ago, I attempted to explain his error. Apparently, he was not trained properly and did not understand how fare's work. Regardless, I asked the agent to cancel all the reservations made. He canceled departure leg's, however, he sent through the charges to the return leg.
4) Now I'm having discussions with Expedia about the error and the return of the over charge. I've actually been on the phone, or on hold, for over 40-minutes and am now told they have to listen to the conversation and someone will get back to me within 48 hours with their finding. REALLY !!

I have been traveling for business and on personal trips for over 40 years, and this is by far the worse experience in booking flights I have EVER encountered. NEVER AGAIN WILL I USE EXPEDIA !!!!!

rachelp68
11/27/17

juanc117
11/26/17

Creo que a veces a algunas personas les molestan algunos aspectos de los agentes de viajes o que no se entiende lo que desean pero si acudimos con mente abierta y con la capacidad de buscar lo mejor lo tendremos y como todas las compañías hay un excelente trato, los precios de los vuelos y viajes son buenos, pero la atención mejor.

romyw
11/20/17

I simply don't have a word. Costumers service is worst, airfares are worst, completely fake, insurance doesn't give you any refund, they don't understand their own language even if you spell them your name and last name.
They are not prepared as a travel agent and if you ask them if they know the regulation of DOT, they tell you that they, of course, known what DOB is!

PS.DOT is a US Department of transportation, DOB is the date of Birth! LOL

dwaynec15
11/18/17

My wife entered her last name which is her maiden name and Expedia gave her my last name. By the time we caught it was past the 24 hours period and the money for the ticket went down the drain. Such a piece $#*! service that I will never use again. Ripoffs. And dont pay for travel insurance, its useless.

mindyc15
11/16/17

EXPEDIA IS A COMPLETE RIP OFF. I HAVE A CREDIT FOR FUTURE AIR TRAVEL SINCE I BOUGHT THE INSURANCE THAT CLEARLY STATES CANCEL FOR ANY REASON AN PAY NO CANCELLATION OR CHANGE FEE. AH WHAT A JOKE THEY WANT ME TO PAY $200.00 PER PERSON TO USE MY CREDIT! WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE INSURANCE????

mehboobt
11/13/17

Here is a summary of what happened.

I searched for Hotels and found one whose price appealed to me. I decided to book it. I was informed of the price breakdown on the screen showing a room rate of $53 CAD a night and $4 in taxes. This gave me a total of $692 CAD. I accepted this rate and got a screen confirmation of the transaction. I then used the Print tab to print a receipt for my records. A few minutes later I received an email confirmation that the charge is $893 and not $692. I tried to explain this to the customer services agent at Expedia with no success.

boyds8
11/11/17

Getting help when things go wrong is virtually impossible for bookings made through Expedia. And try getting a receipt from a hotel booked via Expedia...won't happen! I am looking for a new travel source!

gretchenr6
11/10/17

Ive booked several trips through Expedia, without a problem. Last weekend, I booked a flight on a Saturday with their 24 hour no charge cancellation. Monday morning I found I needed to change the dates of the flight. AA wouldnt waive the $200. change fee, on the non refundable flight. I called Expedia, explained my problem, and the rebooked my flight, with full refund! They explained the 24 hour policy meant business work days, so Sunday didnt count. I wrote recommendation for Expedia on all my social media, after that! So great to find a company worthy of a positive review! Thank you, Expedia!

tlw1
11/8/17

Bought 2 tickets with multi-city itinerary through Expedia. Missed one leg of the flight (Seattle to Taipei) due to daylight savings..hey, it happens..was prepared to pay penalty and rebook on the next flight. Was on hold with Expedia for over an hour just to hear them say they can't do anything and the carrier had cancelled all our reservations (the no-show outbound flight and all the subsequent return flights to board 10 days and 20 days from now). We would lose over $2000 and we would need to rebook everything. What was the point of booking with Expedia? It wasn't that much cheaper, if at all any cheaper. There was NO customer service to speak of when there was a problem.
Expedia offered NO solutions and was totally unprofessional and useless. Will buy direct from airlines from now on. No wonder Expedia stock declined 13% since October.

edwinl17
11/4/17

When I booked the combination of flights with a car rental, I didn't get my discount of 85 euro. I showed on the computer screen, but in the final booking, I had to pay the separat prices. After contacting the 'service desk', I got the answer, 'yes your right, but I can't help you'.

jacquelinec58
11/3/17

Never ever ever use EXPEDIA MEXICO or USA, you may think that you are getting a great deal or saving time etc, but trust me in the end you are NOT!

If you book airline tickets directly with the airlines you are given way more rights, have much more control of your booking than with EXPEDIA! Once Expedia has your booking you are not allowed to change, cancel any more of your booking, whereas, with the airlines directly not only can you maybe hold the booking for 24 hrs but you can change or cancel as well.

Two days ago, by a misunderstanding we accidentally booked flights on EXPEDIA with American Airlines and booked in January but thought it was December, 10 hours after booking we realised our mistake and called American Airlines to find out their policies for this and see if we can not change it. They said had we booked through them directly online then YES we could at no costs, but since we stupidly used EXPEDIA MEXICO we had to go through them but could not see a problem with this. Expedia USA will change or cancel in a 24 hour period, and said that EXPEDIA worldwide was the same with the same policies so there should be no problem, and that is what we thought by using Expedia Mexico which we are automatically directed to when we search because we live in Mexico and thought this was best. But NO NO NO they said we can only change or cancel up to 10pm that same day, we were a couple of hours over this but still under the 24 hour period. They would not change or cancel our booking without charges (that obviously they would pocket all money because American Arline's did not charge). It would cost us $700-USD to change to the month earlier on the same dates, and yes there was a small increase in far which would have been ok if that was only the cost, it would cost us $500USD to buy a whole new ticket. Even to cancel EXPEDIA MEXICO was going to charge us to cancel plus then we would be charged more from American Airlines to re-issue the tickets. So no matter what we do we can do nothing simply because we were so stupid as to book with EXPEDIA MEXICO. I called American Airlines and had both EXPEDIA MEXICO on the line at the same time because the operator (Joseph) from EXPEDIA MEXICO wanted to hear for himself the policy of American Airlines, the agent told him we could change and did not understand why EXPEDIA MEXICO was refusing to do this for us, she said to talk to a manager, which he told me he was, and ask for a Sales Support Waiver to make the change, the agent Joseph hung up on both her and me, now you tell me what kind of service is this?

Now we leave the ticket unused and just buy a complete new one with American Airlines directly. What is this for Customer Service? EXPEDIA MEXICO does not care and they wonder why in a couple of years they will be no existent, why use them when you have more benefits booking directly with the airlines and the cost is the same?
AA Record Locator - USDVIS
Expedia Itinerary number - 7306666777265

stephenw115
10/31/17

Booked holiday & flight through them on 7th January 2017, and have had nothing but problems. Two flight changes, so cancelled that & re-booked elsewhere, just had to change hotel that had been booked, awaiting a part refund, awaiting revised ATOL certificate.......going in 1 weeks time !!!!!
They are an absolute nightmare to deal with, either on phone or by email.
Will definitely note be using them again !!!!
Unfortunately have had to award 1 star, as that is lowest possible option. Would have given zero if that was there.

jonnathanl
10/30/17

They had issues with a flight that I had to book as an emergency and they cancelled it and all they offered was a 25$ gift card

678 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the Expedia staff and other customers.

6 Photos for Expedia