Review of Expedia

hotline@expedia.com
2018 Customer choice award

nathant67
2/19/19

When booking a flight through expedia, they will sell you tickets without important details like baggage allowance. Additionally they will sell you departing and returning flights without important details that do not match, such as being allowed to check a bag on a departing flight, but not bring the bag back home with you on the returning flight. The information is not display anywhere on the expedia website. This is a terrible and rather deceptive user experience. When booking a round trip ticket one would assume that the baggage details of each flight would match up and if they did not that one would be alerted to this fact.

They make you feel like you are getting a good deal on a ticket, when in reality they are scamming you.

In the end I had to purchase a new return ticket that allowed me to bring my bag back home with me. Expedia would not refund my return ticket. So I ended up paying much more.

jamesh1233
2/18/19

An individual accessed my booking and changed it to a different location. I became aware of the fraud on Feb 10. A caller accessed my account over the phone through lax security. I requested that the fraudulent reservation be cancelled and my original reservation re-instated. They refused saying nothing can be done until the investigation has been completed. It is Feb 18 I have an email and no resolution. I re-booked the hotel myself. I am issuing a claim for the difference between my original booking and the new one. Expedia is a travel site I would strongly recommend against ever using on two counts. (1) lax security in their call centers and (2) extremely poor customer service.

tarekh3
2/9/19

I booked a trip through Expedia and I got the most cheapest prices from all others websites. So I am recommending Expedia for anyone looking for good prices.

carolem84
1/29/19

Have used this booking engine to book hotels across the world. Everything has been perfect. Offers a wide range of alternatives as well as choices to suit all budgets.

stevenb492
1/17/19

So, I got my hotel through Expedia, they offered insurance. I bought it on the off chance that I we might not be able to go. We couldn't due to snowmaggeden in California, couldn't get over the pass with my elderly father, he just wasn't able to travel. Called to cancel, they referred me to the insurance and the insurance said, "We don't cover that." What?! I will never shop Expedia again, or buy the stupid insurance. All over $78, not much for you, but a lot for me. Good job.

marting153
1/12/19

Hello, This review is to express how much I am truly impressed with the customer service at expedia.com. I had a very special issue with cancellation of a flight. Eva from the Philippines ( I specify where she is from to ensure she is recognized) she delt with my issue in such a professional and helpful way!! Expedia has just ensure a very loyal customer for life!! Thank you Eva!!!

I cant remember the last review I have written but its also been a long time I have been so impressed by a customer service representative

rhondac96
12/19/18

I am so upset, it is difficult to explain that I just lost $780 for a ticket cancelled.

Be careful when you cancel to keep a record of the cancellation number. I thought I had cancelled, but the picture of the cancellation page did not have the itinerary number. Hence, even though the picture revealed that I had bought trip insurance and cancelled I had no refund coming.

charlesr39
12/16/18

Scam 1: Per a phone reservation with Expedia.com, they sold me a non-refundable air travel ticket with no seats available, and then when the seats were made available, the only seats available cost an additional $260.00. So the choices were, lose all my money on a non-refundable ticket or be scammed by Expedia and Cathay Pacific for an additional $260.00.

Scam 2: I paid a premium for a private sedan with driver for transfers between the airport and hotel with Expedia, whose contracted supplier attempted to drop me off on the street in front of the hotel (not at the entrance to a hotel) AND drop me off at the wrong hotel in a minibus (not a private sedan).

Scam 3: It's one thing to drive to the wrong hotel, but failing to take the passenger to the front door of the hotel reflects the motives and integrity of Expedia and it's suppliers

There are numerous Online Travel Businesses, Buyer Beware of Expedia.com!

barbarag286
10/30/18

I've traveled a lot over my many years, yet this is the first time I've tried Expedia. It's also the first time I've experienced a horrendous return flight of delays, missed connections, and lost luggage. I don't even know how much money I may have saved, but it certainly wasn't worth the hassle endured. The only reason I gave them two stars is because we eventually arrived home safely. Buh-bye, Expedia; never again.

harrisond24
10/27/18

The Expedia tolerates my every traveling request patiently and efficiently. They guide my completely about my flight and the transits in between and guide me about the airports too.

kimb488
10/18/18

Its useful. Its not super cheap or super expensive. I use it to save time. 3.5 star is about right. For specialist travel sometimes other places are better. I've never had a problem with Expedia.

williamj287
10/18/18

I often rely on this website especially when I am travelling alone. They guide me how to make through the check-in and even how to operate kiosks at airport. They also tackle my hotel requirements efficiently.

tinad145
9/17/18

We got stuck in severe traffic and had to change our hotel location. I called Expedia and they did not have a good phone number for the hotel, therefore could not cancel. I called the hotel directly and got right in, and said we had to go through expedia for cancellations and to be warned that they are bad at actually giving you refunds. He said if I called the hotel directly and made the reservation, he would be happy to cancel the reservation and help rebook with another hotel (cheaper than Expedia). After calling Expedia 3 times, they said they could never get through to the hotel and could not refund me my money. Thank goodness it was a cheap hotel and I didn't loose much. Lesson learned though, SAVE MONEY AND CALL THE HOTEL DIRECTLY TO BOOK!!!!!!!

trevorv11
9/2/18

On booking 3 flights 1 of our friends was traveling couple days after 2 of us due to work commitments he a vicar . We received a email from Expedia say sorry his flight had been cancelled by the airline I truly understand that these things happen Expedia offered us different flight dates but unfortunately none were any good so we needed to re book with a different airline Expedia offered us a refund I thought great I can te book him . When flights booked money was paid to Expedia not the airline I get told they can not give me our money back until the airline refund them this could take up to 12 weeks . This is crazy they took my money but will now not refund it straight away so a trip to visit friends who we have not seen in 30 years may be off for him as as it was a long haul flight and was not cheep he is not in a position to buy another flight until he gets his money back and as we travel in 4 weeks time looks like he will not be going

People do not book with Expedia they could take your dreams away from you and stop you going on holiday

fernandoa38
8/31/18

Do not use Expedia. My wife booked flights and hotels through Expedia to attend her grandsons military graduation. She booked months in advance and paid extra for cancellation insurance. Unfortunately, we came down with a viral flu 4 days before her flight and wasn't getting better. We decided she needed to cancel. Expedia initially said no refund was possible. When we contacted Delta they said Expedia was to provide the refund. After calling Expedia again we were told that Travelgard could help us, but only if the reason for the cancellation was sickness or death in the family. That was not stated on Expedia's website or on the insurance coverage site at the time of purchase. The insurance company requires Doctor certificates, which requires additional medical fees for her, and which are not refundable. The claim for refund will then be reviewed before they can cover the claim. This is false advertising at best, or bald face fraud. My wife and I will never use Expedia again.

leahs99
8/25/18

Good experience with Expedia. I had to contact them about a cancelled flight and they went out of their way to help me. Hats off for their customer support agents!
Website is easy to navigate. Their point system for members doesn't seem very attractive and Booking.com often has similar pricing, but all in all a good experience.

williamn129
8/23/18

I tried a bunch of different sites for a good flight and hotel deal. Expedia showed me the cheapest prices.

janenef1
8/22/18

I needed to get a credit my flights I purchased just 2 hours after booking them. Spent 20 minutes explaining to half a dozen people to be put on hold for ages, eventually I hung up and they did not return to my call. Cost me heaps ringing from an overseas mobile!!

EXPEDIA I will never ever use again for ANYTHING! You should have called me back and finished the call professionally. Absolutely unless, never again and I'll be telling everyone I know.

marlaq1
8/20/18

My son recently booked a Bali holiday through Expedia. He went through Expedia.com, not Expedia.com.au. The price that printed out on his itinerary was in Australian Dollars. I paid for the holiday on my Visa card. The next day I checked my card statement online to discover that Expedia had charged the US amount which was over $900 more than the itinerary amount. After numerous calls to Expedia to try and sort this out, they told me nothing could be done. They even suggested cancelling the holiday and re booking with Expedia.com.au. But I would lose the non refundable airfare of $2500 !! The customer service is shocking and frustrating. I will never use Expedia ever again. After reading many reviews on Product.com, there a lots of unhappy customers complaining about their service. I don't understand how they can print out the Australian dollar charge on the itinerary and then charge the amount in US dollars on the credit card. Disgusting.

andreah189
8/12/18

This is the second and last time I deal with Expedia. Both times they "entered" the wrong date for my flight and I had to pay double to book then wait 14 days for a refund even though the cancellation was done immediately. So basically I had to pay $100 for a mistake on their end, pay more to book the correct flight, and had to wait on original refund. $966 for a $455 ticket. HORRIBLE STAY AWAY FROM THEM

alexanderm121
7/23/18

Had worst experience ever dealing with Expedia. Got to a destination after 10 hours of driving. Was dead tired and girlfriend wanted to sleep. We get to hotel, and they say its overbooked. That Expedia does this regularly and that Expedia says its OK because they have a network of hotels and they can just relocate you to any other room. Well unfortunately did this not happen. After calling customer support about 10 times and speaking with different callers each time, they did absolutely nothing. All their call centers are in India and Philippines and the people can barely speak English. Let alone be able to resolve any issue dealing with hotel reservations in the middle of the night. Needless to say, i ended up being homeless for the night for the first time in my life. Thanks Expedia! I will make it my personal mission to make sure people aware of the horrible business practices of Expedia.

jeffs536
7/22/18

My wife and I paid Expedia the posted "double occupancy" rate for an all-inclusive trip to Mexico. When we arrived, we were expected to share a room with another couple. I paid the hotel and extra $1000 for our own room (even though I already paid for a room), and assumed that I could easily resolve the issue when we got home. NOPE! Expedia says they made no mistake and simply ignores my argument that "double-occupancy" means two people. On researching the many complaints against Expedia, it seems that their MO is to refuse any responsibility then ignore the customer until they give up. I can't understand how they stay in business being so unethical???

dianac181
7/14/18

I have recently purchased four airline tickets through Expedia only for them to call with more than a moth in advance that my flight had to add more crazy hours to our already overly long layover. I was contacted of the change by Expedia and they then promised me that because it was the airline the one who made the changes I could get a full refund!!! only to find out after more that eight weeks my refund has still not been done. They have me on the phone for like 2 hours each time I talk to them about this and now they said that they are sorry but that my $1,500 will not be refund!!!!! Well they are not sorry yet but they will be! even if I have to go to my local news here in Charlotte NC

christopherr192
7/12/18

A bundled hotel and flight package falsely advertised on Expedia as a children friendly resort. Hotel subsequently changed to Adults Only. Expedia refused to refund my flight cost in addition to hotel. Spent over 5 hours on the phone over two weeks to get full refund from Expedia. A reputable company would have immediately apologized for this happening and corrected mistake. After all the call themselves Expedia.

I spend over $40,000 annually on travel and will never use Expedia again.

jeffb232
7/12/18

Expedia SUCKS!!! Don't buy the Travel Protection Package. They make it look like you can get all of your money back nice and easy just by paying for the Travel Protection Package but it will be a NIGHTMARE!!! Once they have your money they hold on for dear life and try as hard as they can to never give it back to you. They can give you the money back for the Hotel but so what most Hotels are easy to work with and let you make last minute changes or cancellations. What's the point of using Expedia then? What are they good for? Last year I used them and the prices went down later after I booked. Looks like it worked out for them. In the mean time your trip sits on your credit card accumulating interest when it is still weeks or months away. From now on I book my flights with the Airline itself, same for the Hotel and use my Hertz Gold for my car rental which gives me a much nicer rental car than Expedias pop-up car rental add on for the same price. No more Expedia, no more fine print, I'm done!!! BTW Expedia Terms & Conditions, 23 pages long. Your'e screwed.

678 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Good luck, it varies from time to time, I first had bad experiences but I am very persistent and I keep redialling. Last few years it got better and I found people after a while, maybe it got worse again. Keep trying

By Tom M.

Questions? Get answers from the Expedia staff and other customers.

7 Photos for Expedia