Review of Expedia

hotline@expedia.com
2017 Customer choice award

dianac181
7/14/18

I have recently purchased four airline tickets through Expedia only for them to call with more than a moth in advance that my flight had to add more crazy hours to our already overly long layover. I was contacted of the change by Expedia and they then promised me that because it was the airline the one who made the changes I could get a full refund!!! only to find out after more that eight weeks my refund has still not been done. They have me on the phone for like 2 hours each time I talk to them about this and now they said that they are sorry but that my $1,500 will not be refund!!!!! Well they are not sorry yet but they will be! even if I have to go to my local news here in Charlotte NC

christopherr192
7/12/18

A bundled hotel and flight package falsely advertised on Expedia as a children friendly resort. Hotel subsequently changed to Adults Only. Expedia refused to refund my flight cost in addition to hotel. Spent over 5 hours on the phone over two weeks to get full refund from Expedia. A reputable company would have immediately apologized for this happening and corrected mistake. After all the call themselves Expedia.

I spend over $40,000 annually on travel and will never use Expedia again.

jeffb232
7/12/18

Expedia SUCKS!!! Don't buy the Travel Protection Package. They make it look like you can get all of your money back nice and easy just by paying for the Travel Protection Package but it will be a NIGHTMARE!!! Once they have your money they hold on for dear life and try as hard as they can to never give it back to you. They can give you the money back for the Hotel but so what most Hotels are easy to work with and let you make last minute changes or cancellations. What's the point of using Expedia then? What are they good for? Last year I used them and the prices went down later after I booked. Looks like it worked out for them. In the mean time your trip sits on your credit card accumulating interest when it is still weeks or months away. From now on I book my flights with the Airline itself, same for the Hotel and use my Hertz Gold for my car rental which gives me a much nicer rental car than Expedias pop-up car rental add on for the same price. No more Expedia, no more fine print, I'm done!!! BTW Expedia Terms & Conditions, 23 pages long. Your'e screwed.

mitchw27
7/12/18

On 6/30/2018, at 7:20pm Eastern time, I made a reservation for a room, check in 7/13/2018. Expedia Itinerary # 7362825812366. A few minutes later, I received an email confirmation with the check in date as 7/1/2013. I still had the Expedia reservation open in my browser. I canceled the reservation and received a reservation canceled message on screen. Thought that had taken care of it.

On 7/12/2018, my credit card statement arrived. It showed a charge for the room on 7/2/2018.

I called Expedia, and explained what happened. The CSR's (located who knows where) first question was "did you receive a cancellation confirmation email". I said that I did not. He said without the confirmation email they couldn't process the refund. I again explained how I'd received confirmation on their website. Again with the no cancel confirmation email, no refund.

I told him if they did not give me a refund, I'd spend the rest of the day reporting this incident on every Expedia review website I could find. He said let me talk to my supervisor, and left me on hold for 43 minutes. Obviously hoping I'd hang up.

He came back on and just kept repeating no email, no refund. Again threatened the negative review - same no email no refund crap. Hung up, and begun writing this review.

Tip for consumers: If something goes wrong, don't try to correct it on their website. They "lose" cancelations.

thuongn
7/8/18

I lost $100 by booking hotels from them. They mentioned that I can cancel my booking for free, and they asked me whether I would like to buy an insurance for my booking ($2 for each person) but they did not mention that if I cancel my booking, that insurance will not be returned. I booked for quite many people and finally have to cancel my booking, so lost $100 in total without being informed before booking. The credit card was charged immediately, unlike other websites. WHY? It was just booking, not buying, why do they charge immediately? No, thank you, never ever use them again.

destinya8
7/7/18

I booked a hotel through Expedia by the name of Inverrary Vacation Resort in Fort Lauderdale, Fl , DO NOT STAY HERE ! The hotel is absolutely filthy regardless of photos online ! Constant nats were flying in my room, I killed what I throughly were only 3 of them but more continued to show up. My bathroom was flooded from the shower. They put me on the bottom floor, the room next to me was not a room at all but the break room where you can hear everyhing , the room across from me looked like a room but it was storage. The circuit breaker was literrally in front of my door. Being that I was near all of this, there was nonstop noise ! I mean when I leave my room guys would be literally blocking my door and looking in my room !!!The MAIN PROBLEM was the fact that housekeeping decided to throw away my food and a few other items which were nowhere near a trash can but sitting on top of the dresser next to the tv right by all my stuff ! I talked to the manager and they were very very rude and refused to pay me back !! Finally they agreed to pay me back through Expedia . After leaving I called Expedia who then had to confirm with the hotel. Expedia gave me a call back and told me they are REFUSING TO PAY ME BACK. It doesn't any make sense ! And Expedia refuses to give me my money as well !!!! They are liars and thieves !!! And Expedia refuses to help in anyway !!! NEVER booking through them again !

philiph79
7/2/18

I booked airfare with Expedia for Aegean Airlines. 4 days before the flight I needed to return home to the U.S.A. due to personal health problems. The next day after returning home I contacted Expedia Re: Refund or Credit. I was promised a reply in 3-7 bus. days. 1 month later Expedia hung up on me. For me, NO More Expedia#

leilanid1
6/25/18

I called Expedia customer service to fix one of the names on my reservation. I was transferred and then transferred and then transferred. Im regretting using Expedia when I could have gone directly through the airlines. 75 minutes later, I am on hold speaking to the 4th person they connected me to so that I can correct a name. She tells me that it will be another 20 minutes because she has to call another department. One hour and 25 minutes later - nothing. No one can help me. I need to go directly to the airlines. SMH

bdhjdjsj
6/22/18

Horrible service, the lady had such a bad attitude and told us that we cant cancel our reservation if we do we are going to get 100% penalty. We were never notified of this when we called in to book

kaceyr
6/19/18

We booked our trip to Mexico this year after having issues last year. Our flight was cancelled last minute as we were on our way to airport. We had sent an additional $400 to keep from having a 10 hour layover for a flight that should have only taken 4 hours total at most. They were not willing to refund money or help us find a similar flight. This year we booked again, trying to give this company a second chance. We booked a van that took us to our hotel from airport and was supposed to pick us up from hotel and take us back to the airport. It took us almost 3 hours to get to our hotel because we kept picking up additional people. We were the last to arrive at our hotel. They told us to call the following day to schedule pickup for the day we needed to be picked up.( 5 days later) my husband and I called several times a day and left messages with no return calls. I emailed Expedia 2-3 days before we left. It has been 4 days since we have been back home and I have just received an email from Expedia. We had to pay additional $75 to have a taxi take us to the airport. I will attach emaili received from Expedia.

georgiaw29
6/7/18

Due to a glitch on their website Expedia booked us in for a date two weeks later than the date we selected with no disclaimer or warning. We literally arrived at the hotel to find that it was booked out and Expedia had simply bumped us to the next available date instead - 14 days later than the date we booked!!!
We didn't have enough money to book another hotel (last night of our trip) but Expedia refused to use the money we'd paid them to book us another room even though the fault was on their end and they could have cancelled our other booking since it wasn't for another two weeks.
They also promised to refund us but have never done so nor returned any of our messages.
Their service is truly terrible, unprofessional and untrustworthy. Do not get caught out by their negligence, book through absolutely anyone else.
Looking at the staggering amount of other negative reviews online for this company -I think it's time their dodgy practices were shut down!

miker500
6/1/18

I booked a flight and hotel for my wife for a medical appointment. Everything was going fine until we completed the checkout process and realized, somehow, that my wife's name had been changed on the flight itinerary to that of my email address instead, which meant she wouldn't be able to check in. Bear in mind, this was nothing we did while booking, the website seemed to have glitched (a running theme as we would soon find out). We immediately called Expedia and told them about this. All we wanted to do was correct the name on the ticket information but were told that instead of doing something as simple as that, we would have to cancel the entire transaction and start over again, despite the fact that it was their website's screwup and not ours. So we canceled, only realizing a few days later that we didn't get all of the taxes and fees refunded to us (still fighting that). Stupidly, we decided to try rebooking with them again. Everything was going fine, flights were selected, and when we went to pay we were given an error that there was a problem with our card. You can imagine our confusion, especially since the next day we discovered Expedia had taken almost five hundred dollars from our bank and sent it to the airline. After several phone calls and long wait times, I learned that when we attempted to purchase the tickets, our outbound flight wasn't actually available and some kind of 'glitch' with the website made it seem like it was. So, while that purchase didn't happen, the money for our return flight was taken from our bank and sent to the airline. Bear in mind, at no time was there any kind of message during the transaction process that there was an issue with the flights, only an issue with the card making it seem like the entire purchase couldn't be processed. I've spent the better part of a morning now trying to get my money back only to be told I have to wait at least 3 business days to have the money that Expedia STOLE from me returned.

Suffice to say I will NEVER do business with Expedia or any Expedia affiliate again and I would suggest anyone reading this do the same. These people, and by that I mean the upper ranks responsible for establishing and maintaining these blatantly corrupt practices

jaym286
5/30/18

I always book with expedia and I probably still will in the future. I only booked with brand name hotels and have had great experiences, but my last trip I decided to try something else and it was an awful experience.

The 5 star hotel with good reviews on their site was so terrible (noise, bugs, mold, etc) we left in the evening and stayed somewhere else! After calling expedia 5 times we got a voucher for the price of the stay at the hotel. To be fair, I think all of this was mainly the hotel's fault, but the expedia employees kept on promising to look into the issue and get back to us the next day, which never happened.

Tip for consumers: I would stay away from hotels without hundreds of reviews and non-brand name hotels

notg7
5/27/18

Tried to book a flight+hotel on their site off and on over a period of about 30 hours. The price published in the search results changed marginally (up and down) during that period. But, when I actually clicked the button to purchase, whatever that price was magically jumped up exactly $280. This happened at least 12 times. And the jump was always accompanied by a message saying, oh we hate when this happens but the rates increased while you were searching. It actually became kind of humorous as I tried again and again. It got to the point my "searching" took about 20 or 30 seconds, because I just searched for my preferred hotel by name and already knew which flight to choose from the list. And yet, each time the price popped up $280 and I got the "Uh oh, you better book now before prices go up again" message. Classic bait-and-switch. Seriously, why don't some state's Attorneys General look into expedia's "business practices"???

jasont200
5/23/18

If you search and plan you can find some good deals here, but you should be willing to allocate some time and effort

mattthewm
5/22/18

Pity I cant give a 0 star rating.
My 3 small children, wife and I were stuck in Amsterdam after booking flights from there to Krakow. The Expedia booking specifically stated the flights were Economy/Coach which has a baggage allowance, while Economy Lite does not have a baggage allowance. Once checked in we found that we were booked Economy Lite with no baggage. We attempted to contact Expedia to attach a baggage fee which would have been cheaper but got mucked about so much we had to buy over the counter baggage which was exorbitantly expensive by five bags. We were lucky the carrier's personnel were helpful (one child is disabled & required some help - thanks again Lufthansa staff)
To top this off the complaints process has taken five months of calls & emails & they've now stated my claim is bogus - despite sending in proof of the discrepancy.
If you're travelling with children do not use Expedia. Use it as a search engine then book through a carrier directly, it'll be cheaper & they have a complaints process.

ayakat
5/15/18

EVEN YOU HAVE TO PAY A LITTLE MORE, YOU MUST USE OTHER AGENTS.

I had my account on expedia.com and expedia.co.jp, using the same email address.
I am not living in the US, so I wanted to delete my account on expedia.com.
I know that if I use the same email address for both expedia.com and expedia.co.jp, both account will be deleted.
I changed the email address for expedia.com, and asked for closing my account on expedia.com.
And now my account on not only expedia.com but also expedia.co.jp are closed.
I got logged out on Expedia.co.jp. I tried to log in again, but it says that password or email address is wrong. So I clicked "Forgot password". I typed my email address, and it says "this email doesn't exist".
I called expedia.co.jp because I have a hotel reservation. I wanted to make sure that at least my reservation still exists.
I explained my situation and the customer support (expedia.co.jp), told me that they have nothing they can do and I had to call expedia.com because they deleted my account.
And I called expedia.com. And the customer support was so TERRIBLE.
It was a woman (I wish I still remembered her name). I wanted to explain my situation first. (that I wrote above) But the woman kept interrupting me and said "You have to talk to expedia Japan. YOUR ACCOUNT DOESN'T BELONG TO US!!!!!" She literally yelled at me. I was like, "Hey, I just want to explain my situation. Why do you have to get upset?" I had no idea why she never gave me a chance to explain what is happening to me, and why expedia.co.jp told me that I had to call expedia.com. But she just said "I DON'T SEE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!!! CALL EXPEDIA JAPAN!!!!" Yeah, I requested to close my account. Of course you don't see my account.
Why can't she just be a little nice listening to my issue and just say "I can't help you. I know that Expedia Japan told you to call us, but I recommend you call Expedia Japan again. Sorry." She didn't want to understand me or spend time explaining to me. Isn't a customer support supposed to be at least understand what the issue even though they can't help us?

I emailed Expedia.com again, and they said that they see that my account on Expedia.co.jp still exists. I tried to log in my account on Expedia.co.jp. Still not working. But I requested to reset my password, and I received reset password email. I logged back in, and now I have no points, am not a mamber of expedia+, no reservation either.
I called Expedia.co.jp again, and they said that my account exists, but they don't see my reservation.
Now I lost my reservation and everything.
I WILL NEVER USE EXPEDIA EVER AGAIN. I would rather paying more to get better service.

carolm46
5/15/18

NEVER EVER BOOK WITH RESERVATIONS.COM, FRAUDULENT SITE AND EXPEDIA IS FRAUDULENT FOR OWNING THIS POS RIP OFF SITE THAT USES MANY TACTICS TO RIP OFF CONSUMERS ESPECIALLY IN CANADA

jm303
5/3/18

The staff did the error on my return ticket, I made the complain many phone calls and emails and wanted to get back the reimbursement. Even sent them the supporting email from Airline about their mistake. Still they just ignored my claim. Don't use this company even no need to pay!

johns2712
5/1/18

Expedia make me fool, but still i like it. Expedia make me fool, but still i like it. Expedia make me fool, but still i like it. Expedia make me fool, but still i like it. Expedia make me fool, but still i like it. Expedia make me fool, but still i like it. Expedia make me fool, but still i like it. Expedia make me fool, but still i like it. Expedia make me fool, but still i like it.

mahbooba2
5/1/18

Expedia is best for all events. Their customer service is great. Cancellation policy is well and rewards points excellent . I love their service

babettek1
4/30/18
• Updated review

Finally got a refund after talking to a customer service and demanding to speak to a supervisor. Still, I would not use this company again.

“Lousy company”
4/10/18
• Previous review

Beware....Better to book with airline directly. It is not more expensive. Expedia would not honor refund or reimbursement for airline cancellation. And airline will not refund or reimbursed if ticket is purchased through a third party.

christinaj55
4/21/18

BEWARE: I had a very BAD experience with Expedia. I would not recommend using their services for your travel needs. We made a reservation through Expedia to stay 2 nights at a hotel in Stillwater, Ok. Sadly, there was NO reservation. Expedia sent me a receipt, a confirmation, and a reminder that I had a reservation. Expedia has refused to admit they made a mistake and did not offer to help us find a place to stay for the night. There were no hotel rooms available in the area due to 4 large events taking place in Stillwater this weekend.

katharinaw
4/13/18

Good offers but its sorted by sponsored ads which usually are not what youve been looking for.
Its irritataring if you want to compare different offers and locations for your journey.

colleenf32
4/11/18

I changed a flight for two people. I called to see what credit I would get if I canceled. At the end of the call, I specifically asked if I could use the credit for one person and only pay one fee of $75. I was told yes.
When I went to rebook they told me it would be $150. I disputed this. They said they listened to the tapes, which they could not have because I have 0 doubt.
So after 3 hours and 19 minutes on the phone, 8 days of waiting for an answer instead of 5, and my flight increasing $70, in this time. They denied my request.
Horrible experience

678 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Good luck, it varies from time to time, I first had bad experiences but I am very persistent and I keep redialling. Last few years it got better and I found people after a while, maybe it got worse again. Keep trying

By Tom M.

Questions? Get answers from the Expedia staff and other customers.

7 Photos for Expedia