Review of Expedia

hotline@expedia.com
2017 Customer choice award

kimb488
10/18/18

Its useful. Its not super cheap or super expensive. I use it to save time. 3.5 star is about right. For specialist travel sometimes other places are better. I've never had a problem with Expedia.

williamj287
10/18/18

I often rely on this website especially when I am travelling alone. They guide me how to make through the check-in and even how to operate kiosks at airport. They also tackle my hotel requirements efficiently.

tinad145
9/17/18

We got stuck in severe traffic and had to change our hotel location. I called Expedia and they did not have a good phone number for the hotel, therefore could not cancel. I called the hotel directly and got right in, and said we had to go through expedia for cancellations and to be warned that they are bad at actually giving you refunds. He said if I called the hotel directly and made the reservation, he would be happy to cancel the reservation and help rebook with another hotel (cheaper than Expedia). After calling Expedia 3 times, they said they could never get through to the hotel and could not refund me my money. Thank goodness it was a cheap hotel and I didn't loose much. Lesson learned though, SAVE MONEY AND CALL THE HOTEL DIRECTLY TO BOOK!!!!!!!

trevorv11
9/2/18

On booking 3 flights 1 of our friends was traveling couple days after 2 of us due to work commitments he a vicar . We received a email from Expedia say sorry his flight had been cancelled by the airline I truly understand that these things happen Expedia offered us different flight dates but unfortunately none were any good so we needed to re book with a different airline Expedia offered us a refund I thought great I can te book him . When flights booked money was paid to Expedia not the airline I get told they can not give me our money back until the airline refund them this could take up to 12 weeks . This is crazy they took my money but will now not refund it straight away so a trip to visit friends who we have not seen in 30 years may be off for him as as it was a long haul flight and was not cheep he is not in a position to buy another flight until he gets his money back and as we travel in 4 weeks time looks like he will not be going

People do not book with Expedia they could take your dreams away from you and stop you going on holiday

fernandoa38
8/31/18

Do not use Expedia. My wife booked flights and hotels through Expedia to attend her grandsons military graduation. She booked months in advance and paid extra for cancellation insurance. Unfortunately, we came down with a viral flu 4 days before her flight and wasn't getting better. We decided she needed to cancel. Expedia initially said no refund was possible. When we contacted Delta they said Expedia was to provide the refund. After calling Expedia again we were told that Travelgard could help us, but only if the reason for the cancellation was sickness or death in the family. That was not stated on Expedia's website or on the insurance coverage site at the time of purchase. The insurance company requires Doctor certificates, which requires additional medical fees for her, and which are not refundable. The claim for refund will then be reviewed before they can cover the claim. This is false advertising at best, or bald face fraud. My wife and I will never use Expedia again.

leahs99
8/25/18

Good experience with Expedia. I had to contact them about a cancelled flight and they went out of their way to help me. Hats off for their customer support agents!
Website is easy to navigate. Their point system for members doesn't seem very attractive and Booking.com often has similar pricing, but all in all a good experience.

williamn129
8/23/18

I tried a bunch of different sites for a good flight and hotel deal. Expedia showed me the cheapest prices.

janenef1
8/22/18

I needed to get a credit my flights I purchased just 2 hours after booking them. Spent 20 minutes explaining to half a dozen people to be put on hold for ages, eventually I hung up and they did not return to my call. Cost me heaps ringing from an overseas mobile!!

EXPEDIA I will never ever use again for ANYTHING! You should have called me back and finished the call professionally. Absolutely unless, never again and I'll be telling everyone I know.

marlaq1
8/20/18

My son recently booked a Bali holiday through Expedia. He went through Expedia.com, not Expedia.com.au. The price that printed out on his itinerary was in Australian Dollars. I paid for the holiday on my Visa card. The next day I checked my card statement online to discover that Expedia had charged the US amount which was over $900 more than the itinerary amount. After numerous calls to Expedia to try and sort this out, they told me nothing could be done. They even suggested cancelling the holiday and re booking with Expedia.com.au. But I would lose the non refundable airfare of $2500 !! The customer service is shocking and frustrating. I will never use Expedia ever again. After reading many reviews on Product.com, there a lots of unhappy customers complaining about their service. I don't understand how they can print out the Australian dollar charge on the itinerary and then charge the amount in US dollars on the credit card. Disgusting.

andreah189
8/12/18

This is the second and last time I deal with Expedia. Both times they "entered" the wrong date for my flight and I had to pay double to book then wait 14 days for a refund even though the cancellation was done immediately. So basically I had to pay $100 for a mistake on their end, pay more to book the correct flight, and had to wait on original refund. $966 for a $455 ticket. HORRIBLE STAY AWAY FROM THEM

alexanderm121
7/23/18

Had worst experience ever dealing with Expedia. Got to a destination after 10 hours of driving. Was dead tired and girlfriend wanted to sleep. We get to hotel, and they say its overbooked. That Expedia does this regularly and that Expedia says its OK because they have a network of hotels and they can just relocate you to any other room. Well unfortunately did this not happen. After calling customer support about 10 times and speaking with different callers each time, they did absolutely nothing. All their call centers are in India and Philippines and the people can barely speak English. Let alone be able to resolve any issue dealing with hotel reservations in the middle of the night. Needless to say, i ended up being homeless for the night for the first time in my life. Thanks Expedia! I will make it my personal mission to make sure people aware of the horrible business practices of Expedia.

jeffs536
7/22/18

My wife and I paid Expedia the posted "double occupancy" rate for an all-inclusive trip to Mexico. When we arrived, we were expected to share a room with another couple. I paid the hotel and extra $1000 for our own room (even though I already paid for a room), and assumed that I could easily resolve the issue when we got home. NOPE! Expedia says they made no mistake and simply ignores my argument that "double-occupancy" means two people. On researching the many complaints against Expedia, it seems that their MO is to refuse any responsibility then ignore the customer until they give up. I can't understand how they stay in business being so unethical???

dianac181
7/14/18

I have recently purchased four airline tickets through Expedia only for them to call with more than a moth in advance that my flight had to add more crazy hours to our already overly long layover. I was contacted of the change by Expedia and they then promised me that because it was the airline the one who made the changes I could get a full refund!!! only to find out after more that eight weeks my refund has still not been done. They have me on the phone for like 2 hours each time I talk to them about this and now they said that they are sorry but that my $1,500 will not be refund!!!!! Well they are not sorry yet but they will be! even if I have to go to my local news here in Charlotte NC

christopherr192
7/12/18

A bundled hotel and flight package falsely advertised on Expedia as a children friendly resort. Hotel subsequently changed to Adults Only. Expedia refused to refund my flight cost in addition to hotel. Spent over 5 hours on the phone over two weeks to get full refund from Expedia. A reputable company would have immediately apologized for this happening and corrected mistake. After all the call themselves Expedia.

I spend over $40,000 annually on travel and will never use Expedia again.

jeffb232
7/12/18

Expedia SUCKS!!! Don't buy the Travel Protection Package. They make it look like you can get all of your money back nice and easy just by paying for the Travel Protection Package but it will be a NIGHTMARE!!! Once they have your money they hold on for dear life and try as hard as they can to never give it back to you. They can give you the money back for the Hotel but so what most Hotels are easy to work with and let you make last minute changes or cancellations. What's the point of using Expedia then? What are they good for? Last year I used them and the prices went down later after I booked. Looks like it worked out for them. In the mean time your trip sits on your credit card accumulating interest when it is still weeks or months away. From now on I book my flights with the Airline itself, same for the Hotel and use my Hertz Gold for my car rental which gives me a much nicer rental car than Expedias pop-up car rental add on for the same price. No more Expedia, no more fine print, I'm done!!! BTW Expedia Terms & Conditions, 23 pages long. Your'e screwed.

mitchw27
7/12/18

On 6/30/2018, at 7:20pm Eastern time, I made a reservation for a room, check in 7/13/2018. Expedia Itinerary # 7362825812366. A few minutes later, I received an email confirmation with the check in date as 7/1/2018. I still had the Expedia reservation open in my browser. I canceled the reservation and received a reservation canceled message on screen. Thought that had taken care of it.

On 7/12/2018, my credit card statement arrived. It showed a charge for the room on 7/2/2018.

I called Expedia, and explained what happened. The CSR's (located who knows where) first question was "did you receive a cancellation confirmation email". I said that I did not. He said without the confirmation email they couldn't process the refund. I again explained how I'd received confirmation on their website. Again with the no cancel confirmation email, no refund.

I told him if they did not give me a refund, I'd spend the rest of the day reporting this incident on every Expedia review website I could find. He said let me talk to my supervisor, and left me on hold for 43 minutes. Obviously hoping I'd hang up.

He came back on and just kept repeating no email, no refund. Again threatened the negative review - same no email no refund crap. Hung up, and begun writing this review.

Tip for consumers: If something goes wrong, don't try to correct it on their website. They "lose" cancelations.

thuongn
7/8/18

I lost $100 by booking hotels from them. They mentioned that I can cancel my booking for free, and they asked me whether I would like to buy an insurance for my booking ($2 for each person) but they did not mention that if I cancel my booking, that insurance will not be returned. I booked for quite many people and finally have to cancel my booking, so lost $100 in total without being informed before booking. The credit card was charged immediately, unlike other websites. WHY? It was just booking, not buying, why do they charge immediately? No, thank you, never ever use them again.

destinya8
7/7/18

I booked a hotel through Expedia by the name of Inverrary Vacation Resort in Fort Lauderdale, Fl , DO NOT STAY HERE ! The hotel is absolutely filthy regardless of photos online ! Constant nats were flying in my room, I killed what I throughly were only 3 of them but more continued to show up. My bathroom was flooded from the shower. They put me on the bottom floor, the room next to me was not a room at all but the break room where you can hear everyhing , the room across from me looked like a room but it was storage. The circuit breaker was literrally in front of my door. Being that I was near all of this, there was nonstop noise ! I mean when I leave my room guys would be literally blocking my door and looking in my room !!!The MAIN PROBLEM was the fact that housekeeping decided to throw away my food and a few other items which were nowhere near a trash can but sitting on top of the dresser next to the tv right by all my stuff ! I talked to the manager and they were very very rude and refused to pay me back !! Finally they agreed to pay me back through Expedia . After leaving I called Expedia who then had to confirm with the hotel. Expedia gave me a call back and told me they are REFUSING TO PAY ME BACK. It doesn't any make sense ! And Expedia refuses to give me my money as well !!!! They are liars and thieves !!! And Expedia refuses to help in anyway !!! NEVER booking through them again !

philiph79
7/2/18

I booked airfare with Expedia for Aegean Airlines. 4 days before the flight I needed to return home to the U.S.A. due to personal health problems. The next day after returning home I contacted Expedia Re: Refund or Credit. I was promised a reply in 3-7 bus. days. 1 month later Expedia hung up on me. For me, NO More Expedia#

leilanid1
6/25/18

I called Expedia customer service to fix one of the names on my reservation. I was transferred and then transferred and then transferred. Im regretting using Expedia when I could have gone directly through the airlines. 75 minutes later, I am on hold speaking to the 4th person they connected me to so that I can correct a name. She tells me that it will be another 20 minutes because she has to call another department. One hour and 25 minutes later - nothing. No one can help me. I need to go directly to the airlines. SMH

bdhjdjsj
6/22/18

Horrible service, the lady had such a bad attitude and told us that we cant cancel our reservation if we do we are going to get 100% penalty. We were never notified of this when we called in to book

kaceyr
6/19/18

We booked our trip to Mexico this year after having issues last year. Our flight was cancelled last minute as we were on our way to airport. We had sent an additional $400 to keep from having a 10 hour layover for a flight that should have only taken 4 hours total at most. They were not willing to refund money or help us find a similar flight. This year we booked again, trying to give this company a second chance. We booked a van that took us to our hotel from airport and was supposed to pick us up from hotel and take us back to the airport. It took us almost 3 hours to get to our hotel because we kept picking up additional people. We were the last to arrive at our hotel. They told us to call the following day to schedule pickup for the day we needed to be picked up.( 5 days later) my husband and I called several times a day and left messages with no return calls. I emailed Expedia 2-3 days before we left. It has been 4 days since we have been back home and I have just received an email from Expedia. We had to pay additional $75 to have a taxi take us to the airport. I will attach emaili received from Expedia.

georgiaw29
6/7/18

Due to a glitch on their website Expedia booked us in for a date two weeks later than the date we selected with no disclaimer or warning. We literally arrived at the hotel to find that it was booked out and Expedia had simply bumped us to the next available date instead - 14 days later than the date we booked!!!
We didn't have enough money to book another hotel (last night of our trip) but Expedia refused to use the money we'd paid them to book us another room even though the fault was on their end and they could have cancelled our other booking since it wasn't for another two weeks.
They also promised to refund us but have never done so nor returned any of our messages.
Their service is truly terrible, unprofessional and untrustworthy. Do not get caught out by their negligence, book through absolutely anyone else.
Looking at the staggering amount of other negative reviews online for this company -I think it's time their dodgy practices were shut down!

miker500
6/1/18

I booked a flight and hotel for my wife for a medical appointment. Everything was going fine until we completed the checkout process and realized, somehow, that my wife's name had been changed on the flight itinerary to that of my email address instead, which meant she wouldn't be able to check in. Bear in mind, this was nothing we did while booking, the website seemed to have glitched (a running theme as we would soon find out). We immediately called Expedia and told them about this. All we wanted to do was correct the name on the ticket information but were told that instead of doing something as simple as that, we would have to cancel the entire transaction and start over again, despite the fact that it was their website's screwup and not ours. So we canceled, only realizing a few days later that we didn't get all of the taxes and fees refunded to us (still fighting that). Stupidly, we decided to try rebooking with them again. Everything was going fine, flights were selected, and when we went to pay we were given an error that there was a problem with our card. You can imagine our confusion, especially since the next day we discovered Expedia had taken almost five hundred dollars from our bank and sent it to the airline. After several phone calls and long wait times, I learned that when we attempted to purchase the tickets, our outbound flight wasn't actually available and some kind of 'glitch' with the website made it seem like it was. So, while that purchase didn't happen, the money for our return flight was taken from our bank and sent to the airline. Bear in mind, at no time was there any kind of message during the transaction process that there was an issue with the flights, only an issue with the card making it seem like the entire purchase couldn't be processed. I've spent the better part of a morning now trying to get my money back only to be told I have to wait at least 3 business days to have the money that Expedia STOLE from me returned.

Suffice to say I will NEVER do business with Expedia or any Expedia affiliate again and I would suggest anyone reading this do the same. These people, and by that I mean the upper ranks responsible for establishing and maintaining these blatantly corrupt practices

jaym286
5/30/18

I always book with expedia and I probably still will in the future. I only booked with brand name hotels and have had great experiences, but my last trip I decided to try something else and it was an awful experience.

The 5 star hotel with good reviews on their site was so terrible (noise, bugs, mold, etc) we left in the evening and stayed somewhere else! After calling expedia 5 times we got a voucher for the price of the stay at the hotel. To be fair, I think all of this was mainly the hotel's fault, but the expedia employees kept on promising to look into the issue and get back to us the next day, which never happened.

Tip for consumers: I would stay away from hotels without hundreds of reviews and non-brand name hotels

678 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Good luck, it varies from time to time, I first had bad experiences but I am very persistent and I keep redialling. Last few years it got better and I found people after a while, maybe it got worse again. Keep trying

By Tom M.

Questions? Get answers from the Expedia staff and other customers.

7 Photos for Expedia