Review of FreeTaxUSA

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

samc126
4/26/17

Hey listen, I never wanted to use an online tax service because I generally get my taxes done for free by the military. But on the day before tax day deadline, they weren't taking anymore clients. I was then faced with using one of tax sharks...won't put any names here, but you know them all so well, and you know their commercials on Tv and radio. A friend recommended me to FREETAXUSA.COM. One of those sharks gave me an over the phone estimation of $300 - $500. Now, going back to FREETAXUSA.COM, remember, I filed on tax day deadline, my federal refund was deposited exactly one week later, one of my two state refunds will be deposited tonight, only 9 days after filing. This is what I call great service. It only cost me $23.31 because I had two state returns to file, otherwise, it would have been half of that price for one state. Federal returns are free. So, if you live in one of those income tax free states, then this is a great service to use. Their online software is very user friendly. Don't be discouraged by the negative reviews posted here, this is my first experience using this service and a very positive one. They get a 5-star rating from me.

CHEERS!!!!!

Sam (Newport News, VA)

fuf2
4/18/17

Under the impression I could e file my state tax I went on the website spent about two hours filling out forms, paid and then was told I could only e-file used both federal and state. The whole reason I even paid for this service was to submit my taxes on time since I all ready sent my federal taxes by mail. I can't get a refund for the $13 I wasted and now my state taxes are late.

vickiet9
4/18/17

I would rather have a root canal than do my taxes! I used FreeTaxUSA because my brother recommended it and this was the easiest return ever, I had a W-2, 3 1099's, vehicle depreciation and itemized deductions which are enough to make my eyes roll back in my head so naturally I waited until the last minute. Entering the info for my return took less than 1 hour and the system prompted me through every step, finding deductions and credits I wasn't aware of and I'm getting a refund :-) I live in FL which does not have state returns so my transaction was totally free. Love this site!

allanc41
4/18/17

I think it is great they offer their free service. So they get a couple stars for that. :)

I signed up for their Deluxe service for $7, that is a great deal and it is only payable when you finish the return. Their online chat was responsive and generally knowledgeable and helpful, even on a busy day (April 18th). So if you are going to try this service, I definitely recommend trying Deluxe.

They did offer the ability to import information for my 2015 return from TaxACT (and several other large providers), which impressed me.

They offer two-factor authentication (sending verification codes by email or text). For this type of sensitive financial and personal information, I thought that was an important security feature for them to offer, and I was glad to see it on their web site.

This was the first year I have tried FreeTaxUSA. In the past I had used TurboTax for a number of years, then switched to H&R Block TaxCut, then switched to TaxACT. So I have lots of experience using other products, and with complex tax situations. I file complex returns including married joint return, homeowner, itemized deductions, charitable contributions, Schedule C (small business income), child tax credits, children in college, and withdrawals from retirement accounts.

My first impression was that the product is not nearly as mature is I would expect. Just entering my W-2 and 1099-R forms, I was running into limitations such as the FreeTax web site would not accept data that was on the forms such as parenthesis or dashes, the W2 had two address lines but FreeTax only accepts one address line, the 1099-R had a box blank but FreeTax insisted I had to enter a 0. Based on how many years they have been offering this service and how many returns they have processed, this immaturity surprised and disappointed me. It did not inspire confidence.

The deal-breaker for me was that when I entered the 1099-R from a well known investment firm, there was a box checked "Taxable amount not determined". TaxFree was then calculating the entire amount as taxable income. I contacted customer service and they advised me to check a box on the 1099-R that said "SEP/IRA/SIMPLE". Then FreeTax did calculate the taxable amount correctly. However, at that point I had lost confidence because that box was not checked on the 1099-R form from the investment firm. So FreeTax provided a work-around, but I was unable to enter the 1099-R "as is" as it came from the investment firm and to still get correct calculations.

Because I had lost confidence in FreeTax, I moved on to try the online version of TaxACT 2016 instead.

One final comment, beware all the glowing reviews (4.8 stars out of 5) on the FreeTax web site. They only let people submit a review after they have completed their return. So those are only reviews from their satisfied customers. It would be a lot more impressive (and accurate) if they would also accept online reviews from customers who had given up on submitting a return through their service. Therefore, I submitted a review on this web site instead.

Tip for consumers: I recommend using the Deluxe service, which provides online chat support.

Also I recommend going into your account settings and enable two-factor security authentication (receiving authentication codes via email or text).

miroslavd
4/15/17

I have been using FreeTaxUSA for 7 years. Always have been happy with their service. Until 2017 -- now I cannot pay the $23 for the services (filing 2 state returns).
I get
"Authorization was declined. Please verify your payment information or use a different credit card or bank account."
error, even though the info is correct. I try a different card. Same result.
My girlfriend is doing her taxes, and hit the same issue. Tried several of her credit and debit cards, no luck. The only option is to have the fee deducted from tax return, FOR EXTRA $20 going to their pocket. Are they serious?!
No thank you, going to file with a different provider instead.
Utter frustration.

EDIT: I contacted the FreeTaxUSA folks through their "Support" section and got a fast response, even though it was weekend. It turns out the payment was failing because I was trying to pay from outside the US (traveling in Europe at the moment). The decline would not have been so surprising and frustrating if the error message was actually saying the reason "You cannot submit payment from this country", preferably at the beginning of the process. Once I figured out that this was indeed the problem, I was able to submit the payment -- if you are in this situation you want to spoof your geolocation, e.g. by using something like tor-browser, or ask someone in the US to submit the payment for you.
Changing to 4 stars, as the only issue really is misleading error message.

beccag9
4/14/17

Completing my taxes has taken far longer than needed as their is no support from this site. You are made to wait 24 hours for an answer delaying the already frustrating process of submitting taxes. The fee for state taxes is also more than I would expect to pay due to my low income this year as I was prevented from working due to medical issues.

Tip for consumers: Use a site that has a phone number

brittb5
4/13/17

I'm trying to pay for the service and it's denied multiple cards from different banks. It then tells me I can pay to upgrade for better support?! Why can't you just work the first time? I just want to pay to file my taxes and be done with it.

jr242

terrys143
4/11/17

What a time to do maintenance. Right in the middle of the business day. You guys have got to be kidding me with this crap

davidr363
4/11/17

Why would you guys be doing "routine site maintenance" the last week before the tax filing deadline!!??? This is ridiculous! This is my first time and if this is the way you operate, it is likely my last!

lisal252
4/7/17

I used FreeTaxUSA for the first time this year, after using Turbo Tax for years. I was super impressed, & will never go back to Turbo Tax. Turbo Tax has all the bells & whistles & is very cool, pulling in my W2 from ADP so I didn't worry about typing in the info myself. BUT, FreetaxUSA is very easy to understand, & is constantly checking you, so you can double check your answers. It's SO much cheaper than Turbo Tax & lets you print out a nice looking version for yourself. My Taxes are fairly straightforward, but I'm always a little nervous doing them myself. I really felt good about using FreeTax USA. I am their new BIGGEST FAN!

sethy7
3/22/17

I have used FreeTaxUSA for two years. While it generally calculates your return correctly, I had issues last year with them wanting to charge a fee when I qualified for a free return based on the information they supplied to the IRS on their free file webpage.

And this year, I am supposed to file Schedule B because I needed to submit a Fin Cen 114 form and FreeTaxUSA can not generate Schedule B unless I had taxable income over $1,500. Also, I noticed that for capital gain/loss transactions, they don't allow you to make adjustments to the information reported by brokers. And when they are faced with having an issue, they just say - sorry we can't support your return - a sad response after spending many hours inputting your tax return information (I had at least 50 capital gains/loss transactions).

Their customer service replies (while fairly fast) seem to skirt an issue. After they replied they just let my responses sit for days until I sent multiple other messages to find out what was going on. This process took over a week to get a definitive reply (that they could not properly submit Schedule B as required by IRS guidelines). To me, this also is not reasonable.

For 95+% of people that have typical returns, I think this website will do a great job. People who have more complex situations, I would think twice about using them to file your return.

carmena22
3/19/17

Sad some of you say this is a bad software. Free Tax USA, besides being a good software and easy to follow, is the cheapest. I was able to include deductions and 1099 forms in my return without being charged extra for it. Please, FreeTaxUSA, do not change.

jehanzebz
3/14/17

Pathetic company. Don't use their software. I spent hours preparing a federal and state return. At the time of payment, I saw my card got declined. I checked with bank and they confirmed there was no attempt from merchant and therefore error is on merchant's end. Then I tried four more credit cards from different banks on two different machines, it didn't work.

I contacted support and was surprised and upset to see their answer: "I apologize, at this time we cannot determine why your credit card will not authorize. If you wish to file a tax return, you will need to find another service to do so. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience."

Not only they were unable to help, they posed as if error was due to my credit card when the problem is in their portal. Now they suggested me to spend all that time again using another software. Instead of bypassing the payment requirement for me and letting me file, they are sending me to find some other software????? That's absurd.

Tip for consumers: Just don't use this software. You'd regret.

mariav84
3/5/17

Maybe it was your error. This software is good. I owe federal taxes because if a loan discharge and I figured that. State taxes are good. Don't blame the software when u input your numbers wrong and then get mad. Double check your $#*!. Simple.

markh292
3/5/17

I was looking forward to using the site, but was blocked from proceeding when I hit the SSN for my spouse screen. Without a number, the software will not let me proceed.

As a non resident alien with no US income or assets, who has never been to the US and has no plans to in future, my spouse has no SSN or ITIN and is not required to have one.
Other tax preparation sites don't have this glitch.

lt64
3/4/17

This is the first time I have used this service. I had overpaid social security tax which was credited back to me on federal form. However since the state tax numbers are automatically placed from the federal, my social security tax for state tax schedule A
was incorrectly calculated. When I contacted support, they said "it would not affect my state taxes"I double checked this with Turbo tax and HR Block which calculated correctly. This error was serious and the support group was not knowledgeable enough to understand or tell me how to correct issue...Do not use free tax usa...They will get you into trouble!!!!

juanm101
2/20/17

I have been using freetaxusa.com for about 12 yrs now. I had never had an issue filing my fed or state tax. The fed is 100% no matter if you got schedule C or dependents. I use a 10% off for state. which I only pay $11.65 every year. My whole family uses freetaxusa.com. It's quick and easy. One of the best parts is that you don't have to pay $25 to pull previous years returns. Its free. Instructions are so easy, they guide you thru the whole process. I hope freetaxusa don't change.

courtneyd28
2/14/17

I have been using FreeTaxUSA for the past 4 years and I have never had any issues. Overall, the process is easy to follow and straightforward even with more complicated needs. I always "double check" my return by using another online tax service to see if the numbers come out the same. For some reason this year, I lost my mind and ended up doing my taxes on TurboTax, H&R Block, TaxAct and Tax Slayer. I got the same amounts on all but H&R block which was $1,500 off from all the rest. I don't know why anyone would pay $70 for federal and state when you could submit the same thing for like $10.

brucec76
2/12/17

First, everyone should remember that FreeTax, Turbo Tax, etc. have NO CONTROL over when you receive your refund. Once your return is accepted by the IRS (mine was accepted within 30 minutes), it is up to the IRS to process and transmit any refund.

As for FreeTax itself, it is fairly simple to use, and unlike other "free" services, you can use this even if you have more complicated returns that include stock sales, etc. Sometimes the explanations are not as explicit as they should be, but if you just stop and think for a second, you'll most likely figure it out yourself. For example, there was a very simple way for me to enter information for a tax credit, but Free Tax didn't tell me it was there. My brokerage information was not automatically entered for me, but FreeTax made it simple for me to enter myself.

After 3 years of usage, there's never been a problem with calculations, nor have I received any inquiries from the IRS.

I really didn't mind paying $12.95 to file the state return, I understood going in that there would be an extra charge for this. It was worth it, as I was able to complete the state return in about 5 minutes. All and all, I believe I spent about an hour doing both returns. It probably would have taken 3 to 5 times that to do them myself. I found you can shorten the process by having all the paperwork/forms you need organized and at your fingertips.

I have recommended FreeTax to others and will continue to do so.

kayleneb
2/3/17

I used FreeTaxUSA to do my taxes for 2014 and 2015. In June of 2015 I reciecved a letter from IRS stating my taxes were wrong. The taxable social security was calculated wrong. I went over everything I had entered. All was correct. I took my tax copies to H R Block. Sure enough it was wrong. I had to pay another $2,000 plus a $90 penalty. Now if the federal tax is wrong
, and the state tax is figured from federal tax information then state tax is wrong. Sure enough I owed another $900 and a $19 penalty to the state.
After some thought I decided my 2015 was probably likewise wrong. Had it checked. The 2015 taxes were wrong for the same reason. Miscalculated taxable social security. Thr results were much the same. $2000 plus owed to Feds and slightly over $1,000 to the state. Had to pay H R Block to file an amended form to each Feds and state plus had pay penalties to both.
This mistake ended up costing me almost $7,000 in back taxes, penalties,and fees to H R Block.
If you are on social security Do Not Use Free Tax USA!!!
Now to top it off site is 100% guaranteed, but there is no way to reach them. No phone, no email. Tell me how to get their guarantee!

jessicas218
2/2/17

I've been doing my taxes for 4 years now with Free Tax USA. I wanted to try out another software last year which was Turbo Tax. I completed both my returns on Free Tax USA and Turbo Tax and compared them, I found out that Turbo Tax gave me less of a return than Free Tax USA. If your unsure do what I did. It doesn't cost you anything till you file.

chrisk156
2/1/17

Awesome service. I have been using free tax usa since 2006 and have been very happy with their service

karinad10
2/1/17

Best and when I say best. I mean it since I'm not easy to please. Been their customer for 6 years noe and it fail me once because I put the wrong information. Anything incorrect its up the user. If you have not receive your taxes on time it's because you probably did a mistake. I was missing a number on the routing number direct deposit and I still got my taxes safetly thru the mail. These guys are trustworthy and they just never have fail me. For being free is really efficient. I would recommend this to anyone who takes their time to read simple instructions. Have it double check by a close family member or friend before you file it inn to make sure everything is correct. Usually it takes 2 weeks for direct diposit which is the best option. Months thru mail. Any reason why it takes more its up to the IRS and their turtle speed.

vendellaw
1/31/17

waiting for check, just used them today; I have heard from a friend they were good to use and not so damn expensive.

143 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the FreeTaxUSA staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
sarahw188
Sarah W.
1 week, 2 days ago
Answer
sams185
Sam S. [FreeTaxUSA Rep]
A: Hi Sarah, thanks for writing. One of our customer support representatives would be happy to review your account and see what's going on. You can contact them by logging into the account in question and selecting the "Contact Support" link.
1 week, 1 day ago
1 week, 3 days ago
Answer
sams185
Sam S. [FreeTaxUSA Rep]
A: Hi Nefer, if you have a PDF from H&R Block you can import it when you first create your account on FreeTaxUSA.
1 week, 3 days ago