US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

juanm101
2/20/17

I have been using freetaxusa.com for about 12 yrs now. I had never had an issue filing my fed or state tax. The fed is 100% no matter if you got schedule C or dependents. I use a 10% off for state. which I only pay $11.65 every year. My whole family uses freetaxusa.com. It's quick and easy. One of the best parts is that you don't have to pay $25 to pull previous years returns. Its free. Instructions are so easy, they guide you thru the whole process. I hope freetaxusa don't change.

courtneyd28
2/14/17

I have been using FreeTaxUSA for the past 4 years and I have never had any issues. Overall, the process is easy to follow and straightforward even with more complicated needs. I always "double check" my return by using another online tax service to see if the numbers come out the same. For some reason this year, I lost my mind and ended up doing my taxes on TurboTax, H&R Block, TaxAct and Tax Slayer. I got the same amounts on all but H&R block which was $1,500 off from all the rest. I don't know why anyone would pay $70 for federal and state when you could submit the same thing for like $10.

brucec76
2/12/17

First, everyone should remember that FreeTax, Turbo Tax, etc. have NO CONTROL over when you receive your refund. Once your return is accepted by the IRS (mine was accepted within 30 minutes), it is up to the IRS to process and transmit any refund.

As for FreeTax itself, it is fairly simple to use, and unlike other "free" services, you can use this even if you have more complicated returns that include stock sales, etc. Sometimes the explanations are not as explicit as they should be, but if you just stop and think for a second, you'll most likely figure it out yourself. For example, there was a very simple way for me to enter information for a tax credit, but Free Tax didn't tell me it was there. My brokerage information was not automatically entered for me, but FreeTax made it simple for me to enter myself.

After 3 years of usage, there's never been a problem with calculations, nor have I received any inquiries from the IRS.

I really didn't mind paying $12.95 to file the state return, I understood going in that there would be an extra charge for this. It was worth it, as I was able to complete the state return in about 5 minutes. All and all, I believe I spent about an hour doing both returns. It probably would have taken 3 to 5 times that to do them myself. I found you can shorten the process by having all the paperwork/forms you need organized and at your fingertips.

I have recommended FreeTax to others and will continue to do so.

kayleneb
2/3/17

I used FreeTaxUSA to do my taxes for 2014 and 2015. In June of 2015 I reciecved a letter from IRS stating my taxes were wrong. The taxable social security was calculated wrong. I went over everything I had entered. All was correct. I took my tax copies to H R Block. Sure enough it was wrong. I had to pay another $2,000 plus a $90 penalty. Now if the federal tax is wrong
, and the state tax is figured from federal tax information then state tax is wrong. Sure enough I owed another $900 and a $19 penalty to the state.
After some thought I decided my 2015 was probably likewise wrong. Had it checked. The 2015 taxes were wrong for the same reason. Miscalculated taxable social security. Thr results were much the same. $2000 plus owed to Feds and slightly over $1,000 to the state. Had to pay H R Block to file an amended form to each Feds and state plus had pay penalties to both.
This mistake ended up costing me almost $7,000 in back taxes, penalties,and fees to H R Block.
If you are on social security Do Not Use Free Tax USA!!!
Now to top it off site is 100% guaranteed, but there is no way to reach them. No phone, no email. Tell me how to get their guarantee!

jessicas218
2/2/17

I've been doing my taxes for 4 years now with Free Tax USA. I wanted to try out another software last year which was Turbo Tax. I completed both my returns on Free Tax USA and Turbo Tax and compared them, I found out that Turbo Tax gave me less of a return than Free Tax USA. If your unsure do what I did. It doesn't cost you anything till you file.

chrisk156
2/1/17

Awesome service. I have been using free tax usa since 2006 and have been very happy with their service

karinad10
2/1/17

Best and when I say best. I mean it since I'm not easy to please. Been their customer for 6 years noe and it fail me once because I put the wrong information. Anything incorrect its up the user. If you have not receive your taxes on time it's because you probably did a mistake. I was missing a number on the routing number direct deposit and I still got my taxes safetly thru the mail. These guys are trustworthy and they just never have fail me. For being free is really efficient. I would recommend this to anyone who takes their time to read simple instructions. Have it double check by a close family member or friend before you file it inn to make sure everything is correct. Usually it takes 2 weeks for direct diposit which is the best option. Months thru mail. Any reason why it takes more its up to the IRS and their turtle speed.

vendellaw
1/31/17

waiting for check, just used them today; I have heard from a friend they were good to use and not so damn expensive.

billl94
1/31/17

I do not understand all of the negative reviews because a refund was delayed. Once it is accepted by the IRS it is on the IRS. I always...make that ALWAYS, receive my refund within one week of submitting it using freetaxusa. They maintain a record for me of all of those ten prior years returns. This year makes the 11th I have used them. And they pre-fill the W-2 part except for the dollar amounts and pre-fill my and my wife's information, making filing as easy as it can be. Their price is the best I have found and the app works great! I will continue to use them as long as I can.

coryr13
1/30/17

I decided not to use the service and was charged any way. That is theft. For a company that wants to stay in business .. they should keep the bad news off the reveiws.

janishag
1/24/17

I have been using this site for 9 years now and so have my friends. Everything was fine until a couple of years ago. After putting in all our info when we get to the end it tells us that our returns have to be mailed in but doesn't give us a reason why. Problem number 2 we cant file our state returns because our credit/debit cards are being declined when we actually have money on them. I contacted support one time and they basically told me there was nothing they could do and to go file my state at our local tax place. So last year after I was told by their site that I had to mail my return in for unknown reasons I filed my return with Turbo Tax and it went straight through with no problems! I will never use this site again and I have advised all my friends and family as well! Scam!!

johnettan
1/24/17

I have been with FreeTaxUSA since 2006. No problems with refund. I have compared Free Tax USA to other tax filing systems only to learn refund was less with other systems, not sure why. I'm 100% confident and secure with Free Tax USA.

ajf9
1/20/17

For years I used TaxAct to file my taxes as a self employed business (1040, Schedule C). For the first few years it WAS free for the Federal tax return and I paid $12-14 for my state return, which was acceptable. Then in 2015 they wanted $30 for both the Federal AND State returns! Turbo Tax was more so I paid it. I got on TaxAct this year and it would've cost close to $70! Unacceptable!

That's when I googled and found FreeTaxUSA. Like TaxAct USED to be, they had a FREE Federal return regardless of whether you run a business or not and a very reasonable $12.95 State return filing fee so I went with them.

The website was very intuitive and easy to use. I was able to review and fix things and then download and print. It says ALL OVER the site that the IRS and state returns and refunds will take some time. If you do the EIC the IRS CAN'T pay until Feb 15 at the earliest and probably not until Feb 27. That's not FreeTaxUSA's doing..it's the government. I'm just glad I was able to file hassle free and am impressed it wasn't painful and it REALLY WAS FREE.

Highly recommended and since this is the last year I'll be in business I look forward to a greatly simplified process next year.

juans57
8/10/16

This is a great product if you have common sense and know how to read; if you feel like you need more of a walkthrough and hand holding, then go ahead and pay for all the rest, but you will be wasting your money. I've done TurboTax and HR block, and both returns take the same time for more money than this website.

The main complaints are about customer support and taxreturn. I honestly have not seen any difference of when I get my return from the government, and the wait has not been unreasonable. I don't really count on my return as a necessity so it's just a nice bonus to get at the beginning of the year.

Customer support is overrated; if you take a little time to read through the website, you will be able to answer your own questions just as anyone from TurboTax would do over the phone and you will feel happier you know how this stuff works.

It really is a great time saver, convenient, and accurate. The interface could do a little work (all done through jQuery), but it is what you get. Really makes you wonder about all those suckers who pay $40 for a return they can finish in 30 minutes themselves.

If your return is very very complicated, by all means get an accountant, otherwise, just go to FreeTaxUSA. They rock!

ronm92
5/27/16

I wrote a review and it didn't post. Too many young or uninformed people have written negative reviews. Chief complaint was refund was coming SLOWER or FASTER than another site. This site or another has no bearing on speed of return. Once YOU send it is in the hands of the IRS..not FreeTax. Take it up with the IRS. Now, my experience the past 2 days with FreeTax has been phenomenal. I put my tax preparation off for 2+ years and the attorney, bank, husband and others wanted them 3 weeks ago and failed to tell me til 2 days ago. I had hangups on both 2014 and 2015 returns. I could not get it to work for me for the life of me. I couldn't get a schedule attached to another and try as I might, (and I did try to trick the software)I could not fix it. So I contacted FreeTax for support, and because I was impatient I asked the same question twice within minutes. Then I had another one. These fine people went above and beyond for me. They gave clear, concise, informative instructions two times for each of the 2 questions I asked. In my hurry to make up for being late for 2014, and 15 I expected answers "snap" right now and dang, I got in a "snap".. I will ALWAYS use them and I will urge others to do the same. I've used them for years and not one complaint. Thanks FreeTaxUSA.

lizg22
4/27/16

Its kind of strange that I filed my ex husbands tax return with turbo tax and his was a 1040A his was accepted and has already gotten his refund. I filed mine the same day with free tax usa and mine was a simple 1040 and it is still processing. Just kind of makes me wonder! Can't call the IRS for 21 days which sucks. Is it 21 days from the date you filed or 21 business days?

sunbursts
4/13/16

Like many people here, I was a devoted TaxAct customer. How nice to have them let me go through the ENTIRE process, only to then say, "oh, and surprise, since you're a small business, you'll now need to pay us $39.95 to process your Federal Return! Ha Ha! ". I then went to Turbo who also says the Federal is free -- exact same rotten trick and shame on these companies. I was then going to go through the agony of doing the paperwork myself and mailing in a check to the IRS. I did one last desperation search and saw Freetaxusa.com and then came here to read the reviews. The only folks who were displeased were the ones who had not received their REFUNDS as fast as they'd like to have them. As the company keeps trying to tell people -- it's the IRS who dictates when the money is released, not Freetaxusa. Anyway, long story short: I was expecting a bare bones sort of software system when I did my Federal with them -- but it's not, it's top notch and it walks you through the steps JUST LIKE the crooks at the top companies USED to do. I just filed my Federal this morning and it went like a breeze. They also show you the companies who will do the electronic payment with your cc -- and I did. It's done. I wanted to come back and do this review because of the great people who took the time to do THEIRS and they encouraged me to try it. A big thank you to the folks who reviewed the site here, and thank you Freetaxusa, because your calculation system saved me $130. I know where to go next year.

stevep109
4/13/16

I've been using them for 8 years and have never had a problem. They actually were more accurate then when I went to an H & R Block. The comments on here are so strange.

jonathanh63
3/30/16

I've been using FreeTaxUSA for 4 years now and love how easy and streamlined they've made the process. Prompt screens are clear and concise. If I'm not understanding something they have info bubbles on each item to give a little more background information.

Unfortunately, FreeTaxUSA is being given negative reviews based on the time it's taking people to get their refunds, which has nothing to do with them! So please people, pay attention to the reason why your return has not come yet. This service is just the mailman delivering your package to the IRS. Well, your package was delivered, so why are you getting mad at the mailman after he did his job? Simplified analogy, but you get my point.

bernadettef2
3/25/16

yes! you are refusing to recognize or help me even though I paid extra for assistance. I cannot believe what a bad service you are. I am still waiting for my tax refund or even for SOME INFORMATION as to what the status is! The Facebook rep for your company knew nothing and when I try to access your main site, you make it so complicated i cannot get through. You should not be allowed to have such a service and cheat and lie to your customers

tinac55
3/24/16

I haven't received my refund its been almost a month

debbiew59
3/17/16

I filed taxes in February and I am still waiting on my Federal return, still in processing status. It has been a month, don't understand the issue, they accepted and now I am still waiting.

roberto371
3/16/16

my taxes say I was accepted from irs but now it's saying waiting to be processed, what do I do???? some one please help me it's horrible

lashekar
3/14/16

Filed my taxes and I haven't received my return yet it has been a month and a half I'm very upset

leighannn
3/11/16

This year is my first time using FreeTaxUSA. I thought it was fantastic. Easy to use...and free for federal even with business income.

117 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the FreeTaxUSA staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
br16571
B R.
16 hours ago
Answer
sams185
Sam S. [FreeTaxUSA Rep]
A: When you claim education expenses, they must go on the tax return of whoever is claiming your daughter's exemption. If you plan to claim her as a dependent, you are also claiming her exemption. This means that the education expenses would need to go on your return not hers. If your daughter is using our software there's a question on the Taxpayer Information screen that asks if she can be claimed as a dependent on another return. If she answers yes to this then she won't be able to claim her education expenses for the available credits.

If you decide not to claim her as a dependent, then she can answer no to being claimed as a dependent on another return (Select Personal > Taxpayer Information). Once she has done this she can claim her own education expenses by selecting Deductions/Credits > College Tuition.

For more information on this you can consult with IRS Publication 970: Tax Benefits for Education. You can access this by going to:

Page 10 discusses who can claim the credit.
5 hours ago
1 day, 4 hours ago
Answer
sams185
Sam S. [FreeTaxUSA Rep]
A: Hi Alli, thanks for writing. Amendments must be filed with paper forms so as long as you don't print the forms and mail them, the amendment will not be filed. If you have decided to cancel the amendment altogether please contact support when logged into you account by selecting the "Contact Support" link. They would be happy to help you with this.
1 day, 1 hour ago