US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

juans57
8/10/16

This is a great product if you have common sense and know how to read; if you feel like you need more of a walkthrough and hand holding, then go ahead and pay for all the rest, but you will be wasting your money. I've done TurboTax and HR block, and both returns take the same time for more money than this website.

The main complaints are about customer support and taxreturn. I honestly have not seen any difference of when I get my return from the government, and the wait has not been unreasonable. I don't really count on my return as a necessity so it's just a nice bonus to get at the beginning of the year.

Customer support is overrated; if you take a little time to read through the website, you will be able to answer your own questions just as anyone from TurboTax would do over the phone and you will feel happier you know how this stuff works.

It really is a great time saver, convenient, and accurate. The interface could do a little work (all done through jQuery), but it is what you get. Really makes you wonder about all those suckers who pay $40 for a return they can finish in 30 minutes themselves.

If your return is very very complicated, by all means get an accountant, otherwise, just go to FreeTaxUSA. They rock!

ronm92
5/27/16

I wrote a review and it didn't post. Too many young or uninformed people have written negative reviews. Chief complaint was refund was coming SLOWER or FASTER than another site. This site or another has no bearing on speed of return. Once YOU send it is in the hands of the IRS..not FreeTax. Take it up with the IRS. Now, my experience the past 2 days with FreeTax has been phenomenal. I put my tax preparation off for 2+ years and the attorney, bank, husband and others wanted them 3 weeks ago and failed to tell me til 2 days ago. I had hangups on both 2014 and 2015 returns. I could not get it to work for me for the life of me. I couldn't get a schedule attached to another and try as I might, (and I did try to trick the software)I could not fix it. So I contacted FreeTax for support, and because I was impatient I asked the same question twice within minutes. Then I had another one. These fine people went above and beyond for me. They gave clear, concise, informative instructions two times for each of the 2 questions I asked. In my hurry to make up for being late for 2014, and 15 I expected answers "snap" right now and dang, I got in a "snap".. I will ALWAYS use them and I will urge others to do the same. I've used them for years and not one complaint. Thanks FreeTaxUSA.

lizg22
4/27/16

Its kind of strange that I filed my ex husbands tax return with turbo tax and his was a 1040A his was accepted and has already gotten his refund. I filed mine the same day with free tax usa and mine was a simple 1040 and it is still processing. Just kind of makes me wonder! Can't call the IRS for 21 days which sucks. Is it 21 days from the date you filed or 21 business days?

sunbursts
4/13/16

Like many people here, I was a devoted TaxAct customer. How nice to have them let me go through the ENTIRE process, only to then say, "oh, and surprise, since you're a small business, you'll now need to pay us $39.95 to process your Federal Return! Ha Ha! ". I then went to Turbo who also says the Federal is free -- exact same rotten trick and shame on these companies. I was then going to go through the agony of doing the paperwork myself and mailing in a check to the IRS. I did one last desperation search and saw Freetaxusa.com and then came here to read the reviews. The only folks who were displeased were the ones who had not received their REFUNDS as fast as they'd like to have them. As the company keeps trying to tell people -- it's the IRS who dictates when the money is released, not Freetaxusa. Anyway, long story short: I was expecting a bare bones sort of software system when I did my Federal with them -- but it's not, it's top notch and it walks you through the steps JUST LIKE the crooks at the top companies USED to do. I just filed my Federal this morning and it went like a breeze. They also show you the companies who will do the electronic payment with your cc -- and I did. It's done. I wanted to come back and do this review because of the great people who took the time to do THEIRS and they encouraged me to try it. A big thank you to the folks who reviewed the site here, and thank you Freetaxusa, because your calculation system saved me $130. I know where to go next year.

stevep109
4/13/16

I've been using them for 8 years and have never had a problem. They actually were more accurate then when I went to an H & R Block. The comments on here are so strange.

jonathanh63
3/30/16

I've been using FreeTaxUSA for 4 years now and love how easy and streamlined they've made the process. Prompt screens are clear and concise. If I'm not understanding something they have info bubbles on each item to give a little more background information.

Unfortunately, FreeTaxUSA is being given negative reviews based on the time it's taking people to get their refunds, which has nothing to do with them! So please people, pay attention to the reason why your return has not come yet. This service is just the mailman delivering your package to the IRS. Well, your package was delivered, so why are you getting mad at the mailman after he did his job? Simplified analogy, but you get my point.

bernadettef2
3/25/16

yes! you are refusing to recognize or help me even though I paid extra for assistance. I cannot believe what a bad service you are. I am still waiting for my tax refund or even for SOME INFORMATION as to what the status is! The Facebook rep for your company knew nothing and when I try to access your main site, you make it so complicated i cannot get through. You should not be allowed to have such a service and cheat and lie to your customers

tinac55
3/24/16

I haven't received my refund its been almost a month

debbiew59
3/17/16

I filed taxes in February and I am still waiting on my Federal return, still in processing status. It has been a month, don't understand the issue, they accepted and now I am still waiting.

roberto371
3/16/16

my taxes say I was accepted from irs but now it's saying waiting to be processed, what do I do???? some one please help me it's horrible

lashekar
3/14/16

Filed my taxes and I haven't received my return yet it has been a month and a half I'm very upset

leighannn
3/11/16

This year is my first time using FreeTaxUSA. I thought it was fantastic. Easy to use...and free for federal even with business income.

micheler25
3/10/16

Fairly easy to follow, good directions

syrenaw
3/4/16

When do people typically receive their federal tax return when they've chosen direct deposit? It's not even that much only like $100, why does it take so damn long?

antonioa30
3/2/16

This was my first year using free tax USA, Advil not entirely disappointed. The walkthrough was simple and my federal return got to my door quickly. However, as of today i have been waiting two weeks for my state return. I understand that the website is not responsible for how long the IRS takes to deliver the return. Though i cannot help but but worry that a calculation went wrong and i will be fined. If possible i will update this review in the future.

samm587
2/28/16

I just filed my 2012 return with FreeTaxUSA and was just informed that i cannot efile 2012 tax return. Also i was just informed that i will get no refund. Was i charged the $12.95 for nothing? The irs is holding my 2015 refund due to not filing for 2012. As this is an urgent situation, any information will be appreciated.

lawrencem34
2/26/16

This year is my 10th year using FreeTaxUSA. I got an on line coupon code for 10% off so I paid only $11.66 for my Federal and VA State returns to be prepared and efiled. I had my Virginia tax refund directly deposited into my checking account after only two and a half days. In the past I have gotten the Federal refunds in 7 to 10 days. Best of all, I am confident that were I to be audited I would come out clean. Because I have my old returns on file the soft ware automatically did a carry over stock loss from a previous year which saved me a pile this year. Works for me. I have always found the site soft ware user friendly.

annec60
2/22/16

I met the criteria for a free file for federal which I did. They said state was 12.95. After I completed all the required information including my credit card info, they informed me that my state wouldn't accept my return and would have to file a paper copy. They went ahead and charged my credit card for the 12.95 anyway. Thanks for nothing. Next year I am going back to filing paper taxes. It gets worse every year. This is the worse e-filing company yet and should NOT be recommended on the IRS web site.

keishag8
2/21/16

I have used thus site for the last 4 years and u have never had an issue I submit it gets accepted and u get my money normally within 7 to 8 days and its true once it is accepted by the IRS it up to them to pay you not the site you can have this issue with any if the sites ultimately the IRS IS IN CONTROL OF YOUR RETURN NOT THE SITE. I LOVE TGE SITE I ALSI DI OTHERS TAXES ON TGE SITE TGEY HAVE NIT HAD ANY ISSUES EITHER.

tiarab4
2/19/16

Freetax claims its up to the IRS once the return has been accepted: but I highly disagree because if that was the case ; there are TURBO TAX users who has gotten their money within 4 days and they're linked to the IRS as well. So this site is complete bull$#*!. I filed feb 4rth we are two weeks later & I haven't gotten my money back YET. I'm pissed I normally do h&r block & ive neverrrrr had an issue. But me trusting someone who uses this site frequently. I will never NEVER use freetax again. Turbo tax for me next year.

- sincerely, a pissed off woman

danield90
2/19/16

has anyone received their returns yet??? see alot of people talking about how long its taking

sj258
2/19/16

I have used this site for 3 year with no problems. This year I ca file my state taxes it keep saying credit card decline on all 10 of my cards. I have entered all the info correct & all card have cash on them. I can't file my Louisiana state with another software due to the federal was filed with freetaxusa. Freetaxusa customer service haven't tried to resolve this issue with their software so many people are having the same problem it needs to be repairs asap. Or tell us how to go about filing our state tax.

Tip for consumers: Don't use this site you will not be able to file your state tax with them. Taxact is a good site that allow you to make payments with no problem.

thomashiam
2/16/16

They $#*!ing.sucks and liar's talking about I had no account with them I just filed my taxes no more with them bad business.

laquitaj1
2/14/16

I filed for my tax return on the 29 or the 30 either way I'm still I'm still waiting for it to come. Here it is the middle of February and I'm still waiting. Easy was easy to do but I definitely will be using turbo tax next year. This matter have put things on hold for me.

courtj
2/12/16

How are you complaining freetaxusa is one of the best and if you have not got your money that on the irs, not freetaxusa idiots

91 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the FreeTaxUSA staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
tanyal33
Tanya L.
1 day, 2 hours ago
Answer
sams185
Sam S. [FreeTaxUSA Rep]
A: Hi Tanya, thanks for writing. Your information is stored securely in your account, on our secure servers. This information can only be accessed by you with your correct username and password.
15 hours ago
on 10/31/16
Answer
sams185
Sam S. [FreeTaxUSA Rep]
A: Hi Paul, thanks for writing. Each year FreeTaxUSA will allow you to e-file until about five days after the extension deadline. For the 2015 tax year, you could e-file until October 22, 2016. If you'd you like to use our web site to prepare your return, you can still file with a paper return.
on 10/31/16