Review of FreeTaxUSA

Tel: 0714654879171
support@FreeTaxUSA.com

christinec357
4/18/19

No problems using the program. Does not give you a lot of unnecessary tedious questions and headaches like TurboTax does.
But, According to the North Carolina Department of Revenue website it is free to file the state return with FreeTaxUSA. This was so when I did a family member's return but on mine it charged $14.99. Something is wrong with that.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hi Christine, thanks for the review! A member of our support team would be happy to sort this out for you. Can you sign in to your account and click the "Contact Support" link?
beaud17
4/16/19

I have used this site for the last 6 years and have been relatively comfortable with processing my tax returns. I'm usually good about getting them in mid-February however this year with the changes in the tax laws it required a bit more to do the taxes. I had done all of the preliminary work had verified that my information was correct and was ready to file however when logged in today the system was down most all of the day. I had to then find another software program that I could put all of my tax information into and file my returns before the deadline. If this is the only business that they are in is filing tax returns then make certain that you have the bandwidth to support the volume of users that you have projected. Very disappointed

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hi, Beau! Over the past 19 years we’ve taken great pride in both our software and our technical infrastructure – especially its ability to get through the rush of Tax Day. Despite our effort to plan and test for the estimated traffic level this year, we experienced our first technical failure. We feel terrible about the stress and hardship it created for our affected customers. It’s the last thing we wanted to have happen to you on Tax Day and the last thing we expected. We will continue to improve our capacity and we hope you’ll forgive the technical failure. We are communicating with the IRS and making them aware of anyone that may have been affected by our service outage yesterday. We hope to see you return next year. If you need further assistance or have questions, please sign in to your account and click the "Contact Support" link.
bu5
4/15/19

They allowed me to file my federal refund, but to submit my state refund the sit "went down, due to scheduled maintenance". Now I cannot submit my state return until the federal return is accepted or I have to mail in my return. The best part is they charged me for this. I was charged for their site to be shut down due to "scheduled maintenance". WARNING DO NOT USE FREETAXUSA.COM!!!!!

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hi, we are are working with the IRS and states to resolve any issues for those who might have been affected by our outage last night. We encourage you to sign in and send your return as soon as possible. If you need assistance or have more questions, we are happy to set things right. Please sign in to your account and click the "Contact Support" link.
patrickt148
4/15/19

Well, it's April 15th, Tax Day. This is the big dance. D-Day (or T-Day). FreeTaxUSA has a message on their site that says they're down for "Scheduled Maintenance." Really. Did that genius consult the calendar when scheduling maintenance for their website?

Probably that's just a canned message that means, "Sorry. We're operating out of our garage and really don't know how to run a website. We got more users than we expected and don't know when we'll be back up."

If you're an IT Director looking for a job, you should fix up your resume and send it to FreeTaxUSA because they'll probably be looking for a professional IT director after this debacle.

The marketing director is probably safe though. They did their job. Brought the people in. The infrastructure just couldn't handle it.

Going over to TurboTax now... ;-)

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Thanks for writing, Patrick. We have been filing tax returns for 19 years (and as many Tax Days) and have yet to experience any downtime. Our website was unable to accommodate the additional traffic on Tax Day and we are very sorry. We are working closely with the IRS and states to resolve any issues for those who might have been affected. We are committed to our valued customers and will do all we can to make sure this doesn't happen again. If there's anything more we can address, please reach out to us by sending an email to support@freetaxusa.com.
heatherd210
4/15/19

6 hours of site downtime on tax day! The first error message stated they were doing scheduled system maintenance on tax day. The most recent system message:
"We Are Having Technical Difficulties
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. FreeTaxUSA is currently experiencing heavy traffic but don't worry we are working on a fix now and we will be back up and running shortly.

FreeTaxUSA will return shortly.

Thank you for your patience."

The response from Customer Service 6 hours after I first emailed them:

Hello,

Thank you for your patience. Due to heavy traffic on our system, it may take you a while to login to your account. Once you can, you should be able to continue to work on your tax return. If you submitted your tax return late you may have a small late fee if you owe taxes. If you are receiving a refund, you will be okay and don't need to worry.

Regards,
Liesel
Customer Support

Backup your records as I doubt this company will be around to do 2019 taxes!

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hi Heather, thanks for writing. Our website was unable to handle the increased traffic on Tax Day and we are very sorry. We understand that this is very frustrating and would be happy to make things right. Can you sign in to your account and click the "Contact Support" link?
ryank209
4/15/19

I used them last year, all went fine. This year, I go along, entering all the data, and then AFTER I pay them, I go to file and it kicks me out!!! Now every time I try to log in it just says "Request Rejected" and gives me some dumb number?! I wrote to customer support email address on the site but judging by these reviews I doubt that will do anything. I really either want them to let me in and finish my taxes or refund my dang money! This is unacceptable. You cannot screw with someone's federal taxes or their debit card information like this! I really hope someone reaches out to me ASAP. I simply cannot get back in their site and I KNOW my credentials are correct.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hello, Ryan! We completely understand your frustration and are doing all we can to assist our customers. Can you please sign in to your account and click on the "Contact Support" ink? If you are unable to sign in, please send an email with details to support@freetaxusa.com.
robertb29
4/7/19

Before trying Free Tax USA, I tried Turbo Tax, & Tax Act. Both of those tried to get me to upgrade to their "premium" $57+ product, even though I make less than $33,000 per year and should not be charged any fee. I then tried Free Tax USA. Last year, I used the free edition of Turbo Tax, even though I made more last year.

Free Tax USA worked great. It did not try to get me to upgrade, even though I had close to $10,000 in dividend income. I am also an author with royalties (less than $1,000). It handled that correctly too.

I live in Nevada, so did not need to file a state income tax return. If there were glitches with the software in the past, then I suspect they were all fixed, because I did not see any. I used Turbo Tax last year, and they had a glitch in that my tax was not properly calculated. I had to pay a small amount for interest and fines because of that.

This is actually a very fine product that may not have quite all the bells and whistles of its competitors, but offers solid performance and ease of use.

According to other reviews I have read about, the federal filing is free. They make their money on the state return, which at this time is only about $15. They also have a deluxe version that costs $7, which includes a limited audit assist feature, unlimited amendments, and priority customer support.

The product is updated every year and tested by the IRS & each state before it is approved for use. Millions have used it to file their returns since 2001.

It will handle most major tax issues like self-employment income, rental real estate, capital gains transactions, the various types of K-1 related income sources, affordable care act, etc. It also handles many uncommon tax situations as well.

On the other hand, it currently does not handle (taken from their website - https://www.freetaxusa.com/supported_forms.jsp) :

1. Foreign employment income (Form 2555)
2. Non-resident alien returns (Form 1040NR)
3. Customers or preparers living outside the United States when they file their taxes
4. At-risk limitations (Form 6198)
5. Installment sales (Form 6252)
6. Tax for children with more than $2,100 in investment income (Form 8615)
7. Prior year minimum tax credit (Form 8801)
8. Archer MSAs (Form 8853)
9. Casualty or theft gain or loss for business and income producing property
10. Additional tax on excess contributions to IRAs
11. Donations of high value property over $5,000 such as collectibles, equipment, or real estate.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Thanks for letting us know about your experience with FreeTaxUSA! We appreciate your thorough review of our site. We're happy you found us and look forward to seeing you again next year.
christied34
3/30/19

Fast, easy and free. I got a bigger refund than I would've got from turbo tax. I filed with Free Tax USA on April 25 and its already posted on my bank account. Won't be able to spend it til April 1, but wow! That was fast!

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Thanks for letting us all know about your experience with FreeTaxUSA! We're happy you found us and look forward to seeing you again next year.
leannar4
3/29/19

Before I submitted my final tax returns, I checked the paperwork to ensure that my checking account numebr and bank routing number were correct. Unfortunately I didn't check them again after submitting the filing and found out the hard way that there was a glitch leaving off the last 5 digits of my bank account number! Now I have to wait an extra two weeks for a paper check.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hi Leanna, I'm sorry to hear that your return was sent with the wrong bank account. The good news is that the IRS and states have procedures in place to make sure that your refund does not go to the wrong bank account and will send a paper check instead. It can take a little longer to receive your refund, but you know the refund is coming directly to you. If you are sure you entered the correct routing and account numbers, we would be happy to investigate this for you. Can you sign in to your account and click the "Contact Support" link?
randys231
3/15/19

Was a little worried based on some reviews, but worked out better than a few of the other tax services I've used in the past. Will definitely use them again next year.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
We appreciate your balanced review, Randy, and look forward to helping you file your return next year!
bogusb
3/6/19

Filed my return with an anticipated refund of $2756 and received notice from the IRS that I had miscalculated the tax due. Instead my refund was $1130! Seems there was a glitch in the software affecting the taxation of nominee dividends. They told me of a "workaround" to make it calculate correctly and offered me a free amended return plus a $50 Visa card.....oh boy! Inaccurate software cause me to make improper decisions about my IRA contribution and they offer a free amended return? If you use this software double check their math!!!!!!

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
We regret that you had an unsatisfactory experience with our software. We stand by our guarantee that all calculations are 100% accurate or we will reimburse any penalties or fees due to the error.
robk99
2/26/19

My taxes were straight forward, but my residency status wasn't. I spent many frustrating hours on TurboTax and H&R block trying to make everything work out but had no luck. My H&R block experience was actually terrible and TurboTax was too expensive. Neither could do what I needed. Enter FreeTaxUSA. Everything inputted and sorted out in just over an hour and the calculations were the same as the other two platforms. A friend recommended FreeTaxUSA to me, now I'm recommending it to everyone I know.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Welcome to FreeTaxUSA, Rob! We are happy to hear you found us and look forward to helping you file next year.
tracys315
2/25/19

Did my taxes a few weeks ago and the calculations for Illinois were incorrect. This was for both Federal and State. Do not use them, stay away. They are not CURRENT with tax laws.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hi Tracy, we guarantee our calculations and would like to help. Can you private message your email address?
rc287
2/24/19

For a premium tax return, 12 dollars who can complain unless you mess up. I ran my return through TurboTax, Credit Karma, H&R Block, and FreeTaxUSA.

TurboTax is way overpriced. They also include many forms some not even used, which is also time-consuming scroll through for review. $136 dollars not including State return! I can take my return to a CPA for that much. Credit Karma has a long way to go before I will submit a return using their online package. H&R Block is also pricey not nearly as easy compared to FreeTaxUSA. As it turned out I got the most back from FreeTaxUSA and easy to use. How can that happen?

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Thanks for the kind words, RC! We feel that FreeTaxUSA provides the best value in the industry and are happy to hear you feel the same!
jonl168
2/22/19

The software worked perfectly for me without any problems. My tax return was simple this year so this software worked great. I suspect if I had a more complex return it might be more of a challenge. But that's conjecture.

I recommend this software for anyone with a basic tax return.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hello John, thank you for using FreeTaxUSA and for the positive feedback! Our software is designed to walk you step-by-step through both simple tax preparation as well as more complex situations, with helpful links along the way. We are glad that you had a positive experience and look forward to supporting you in the future.
davidg1020
2/21/19

Our federal tax obligation, calculated from the IRS tables and/or tax brackets, were given by FreeTax as about $100 less than what we owe. Then, our Virginia tax calculation by FreeTax assumed that the Virginia standard deduction was a clone of the federal deduction - $24,000 for married filing jointly, which is NONSENSE. This is an egregious failing, and filers using FreeTax will have to file amendments or pay penalties. FreeTaxUSA needs to get their act together.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hello David, we apologize for the frustration. We guarantee our calculations to be accurate. We are aware that Virginia has made some recent tax law changes as well. We would love the opportunity to take a look at your tax return, if you could please private message us your email address.
michellem727
2/14/19

Did my taxes a few weeks ago. Received an email from FreeTax last night to file an amendment because there was an update done to their software due to itemized deductions for state not calculating properly. In my case it was 170 error in my favor. Needless to say after 5 years of using FreeTaxUSA I will no longer use their software. Errors of this kind when dealing with a customers tax return is not acceptable. Especially when State is the return we are paying them for. When expressing my displeasure with having to file an amendment due to their error Free Tax customer care was not apolgetic at all. Their answers to questions about the amendment were "its probably fine". Anyone who has had dealings with IRS knows "probably fine" doesn't cut it. Its black or white so a definitive answer is essential to correctly filing a return and or amendment. Goodbye FreeTaxUSA that was never really Free anyway.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hello Michelle, we are very sorry to hear that you did not have a positive interaction with both our software and support this year. One reason for the recent update to your state's calculations could have been new direction from the state. We would love the opportunity to make this right, though, if you could please private message us your email address.
wandae17
2/10/19

This is the second year I have used this service, which overall is a great site. I realized this year that there is a glitch in the way maine state tax is calculated, the program uses the tax tables instead of using the tax rate calculation like other sites do. Not alot of money but a couple dollars is a couple dollars. Now if your close to the top of the 100. Tax table bracket you make out and pay less.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hi Wanda, we guarantee our Maine calculations and would be happy to look into this for you. Can you private message us your email address?
mariep134
2/10/19

,this site claim free, it is not free it will charge for the state $12.95 even do they don,t file it nor you able to print because of errors also when you ask for your refund of charges they do not respond. I am in SSI so it wasn't lthat
difficult
I went to another co. and had no problem filing free of charge

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
We try to be upfront about our prices by displaying them on our home page at www.FreeTaxUSA.com. The federal return is 100% free, regardless of what you need to file or the age of the taxpayer. This is not always the case with some of our competitors who are known to add additional fees after you have committed time to their website. We do charge a small fee to prepare your state return, but feel that our direct pricing, ease of use, and access to customer support make our product the best value in the industry.
victoriap107
2/8/19

I just found out that FreeTaxUsa has made an error of not filling for child tax credit on my state return. Having three children that oversight cost me 1.6k a year. I was able to amend the three years but because of the state limitations am not able to do four more years back- the total of the credit equals to 3k. And what does the customer service do- tells me sorry for your inconvenience!!! When I inquired about the realibility of the software going forward, all I got that lines 12-15 are not supported (!) and who knows whether it will be fixed. Don't file your taxes with them- if they make a mistake it will cost you a lot of money and they are not responsible for your loss!!!

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hi Victoria, we guarantee our calculations and would like to follow up on the support that you received. Can you private message your email address?
kax
2/3/19

I've used this site to file my tax returns for over 10 years and I've never had a problem. I do suggest that if you don't know much about tax laws and filing, you should never do it online yourself. Always go to a professional who can help you face to face. I would only suggest for people to do online filing on this site or sites similar to this one if you know what you're doing.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Thank you for the review of the software. We appreciate your loyalty and hope to continue to earn your business for many years to come.
deborahs336
10/12/18

Please do not use this Company to file your taxes. They really screwed me over with 2017 tax filing with the State of CA. I received a letter of proposed assessment from the Franchise State Tax board stating I owe them $2,000.00. Seems I was not allowed to file as Head of Household because my qualifying dependent made too much money. I have never heard of this income law before and have used this filing status as such every year. I count on the software system that I am paying for to know the laws and have a hard stop in place like they do on some of the other screens. Free TaxUSA of course is stating this was my fault when their software system did not pick up the error and let me know. Even the Tax Advocate and the auditor at the FTB said it was Free TaxUSA's error and I should be refunded. All they wanted to refund me was the $19.95. I am seeking legal action against them to get my money back. Do not use this site, you can file for free right on the FTB website I was told and that is what I will do from now on.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
I’m really sorry for your frustration. We do our best to help customers file their returns correctly and provide many tax alerts to help. On the California Head of Household Questionnaire screen, there's a question that asks for your dependent's income. If you enter an amount that is above what California allows for the Head of Household filing status ($4,050 for 2017), our software will provide a warning that indicates that California might disallow your filing status. You are then given the opportunity to change your filing status, your dependent's income, or file your return as is. You are welcome to sign in to an account on our website to verify that we do provide this warning.
patriciav95
8/10/18

Said that I could private message him and provide him my email address - no link provided! Would like to ask questions regarding 2016 tax return.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hi Patricia, I'm really sorry for the frustration. I would be happy to follow up on this issue with you. Would you please private message your email address?
cynthiaa95
7/3/18

They messed up my routing number and I was charged penalties for late filing and insufficient funds. They promised it wouldn't be a problem ever again but it was. i will never use this process again. You get what you pay for and this is crap.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
I would be happy to follow up on this issue personally. Can you please private message your email address?
carmelb7
4/23/18

Horrible, don't do it. Its one step away from filling out yourself in the library. The system is antiquated and I got charged twice and they were no support. I had to get information on how to get help from TurboTax. DON'T DO IT!

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hello Carmel, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Our customer support team is standing by, and would love to help you resolve any incorrect charges or transactions. Contact them at support@freetaxusa.com

I can't get a simple did my account get filed because I can't log in.

By linda b.

Hi Mimi, we’re more than willing to help you with any concerns you have. If you need help, or feel like there’s been a mistake, we’re always standing by to assist you. You can reach our friendly customer support representatives at support@freetaxusa.com. To be clear on some of the accusations from your comments, security is our top priority. We use bank grade encryption on all transactions and have securely filed millions of tax returns with the IRS. The five star reviews on this (and other) sites are from real customers, many of whom have filed multiple years using our service. You can read more reviews from verified customers at http://www.freetaxusa.com/reviews.jsp. FreeTaxUSA.com has been approved for e-filing with the IRS since our founding in 2001. Most recently we've been working with the IRS and state tax administrators as part of the IRS Security Summit. The focus of the Security Summit is putting together even tougher safeguards for protecting taxpayers in 2016. There are steps we all should take, on a personal level, to help protect our information as well. The IRS has some great information about that on https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Taxes-Security-Together.

By Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative

Hi Jaime, yes you are always given an option to print and mail your tax return. In this case, since it's a prior year tax return, it will have to be printed and mailed. The IRS only accepts e-filed returns for current year taxes.

By Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative

Hi Felita, if you've already tried the Forgot username? and Forgot password? tools, you can email me directly at sam@freetaxusa.com with the email address you use in your FreeTaxUSA account. If you'd like to contact support directly you can email support@freetaxusa.com.

By Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative

Hi Latonia, our website offers prior year tax return preparation for 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. The pricing is the same as our current year product: Federal returns are free and State returns are $12.95. To prepare a prior year return: 1- Go to the FreeTaxUSA home page 2- Select the "Prior Year Products" link located at the top of the home page 3- Click on the year you would like to access and follow the prompts to access that software. Please be aware that the IRS only accepts e-filed returns for the current tax year. The only way to submit a prior year return is to print and mail the return.

By Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative

Hi Kant, FreeTaxUSA is an online tax preparation website owned by TaxHawk, Inc. The company was founded in 2001 by a certified public accountant and a team of professional software developers. Their combined experience in tax preparation, programming, and internet technology has made FreeTaxUSA one of the fastest growing tax websites online today. FreeTaxUSA is an original member of the IRS Free File Alliance and an authorized IRS e-file provider. The company has securely filed over 14 million federal tax returns with the IRS. Each year, the website helps taxpayers save millions of dollars in tax preparation fees with free federal and low-cost state offers.

By Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative

Hi Brittany, one of our customer support representatives would be happy to look into this for you. Please sign in to your account and click the "Contact Support" link that's located on the right of any screen.

By Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative

We're sorry we let you down. Coming into April 15th, we knew we would be handling more traffic than usual and added infrastructure to prepare for the increased volume. Unfortunately, we still experienced technical difficulties because of the increased traffic. Over the last 19 years we've had 100% uptime on Tax Day and we will do everything possible to meet that expectation going forward. As you might imagine we learned from Tax Day this year and it will make us stronger going forward.

By Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Questions? Get answers from the FreeTaxUSA staff and other customers.

5 Photos for FreeTaxUSA