Review of FreeTaxUSA

Tel: 0714654879171
support@FreeTaxUSA.com

michellem727
2/14/19

Did my taxes a few weeks ago. Received an email from FreeTax last night to file an amendment because there was an update done to their software due to itemized deductions for state not calculating properly. In my case it was 170 error in my favor. Needless to say after 5 years of using FreeTaxUSA I will no longer use their software. Errors of this kind when dealing with a customers tax return is not acceptable. Especially when State is the return we are paying them for. When expressing my displeasure with having to file an amendment due to their error Free Tax customer care was not apolgetic at all. Their answers to questions about the amendment were "its probably fine". Anyone who has had dealings with IRS knows "probably fine" doesn't cut it. Its black or white so a definitive answer is essential to correctly filing a return and or amendment. Goodbye FreeTaxUSA that was never really Free anyway.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hello Michelle, we are very sorry to hear that you did not have a positive interaction with both our software and support this year. One reason for the recent update to your state's calculations could have been new direction from the state. We would love the opportunity to make this right, though, if you could please private message us your email address.
wandae17
2/10/19

This is the second year I have used this service, which overall is a great site. I realized this year that there is a glitch in the way maine state tax is calculated, the program uses the tax tables instead of using the tax rate calculation like other sites do. Not alot of money but a couple dollars is a couple dollars. Now if your close to the top of the 100. Tax table bracket you make out and pay less.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hi Wanda, we guarantee our Maine calculations and would be happy to look into this for you. Can you private message us your email address?
mariep134
2/10/19

,this site claim free, it is not free it will charge for the state $12.95 even do they don,t file it nor you able to print because of errors also when you ask for your refund of charges they do not respond. I am in SSI so it wasn't lthat
difficult
I went to another co. and had no problem filing free of charge

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
We try to be upfront about our prices by displaying them on our home page at www.FreeTaxUSA.com. The federal return is 100% free, regardless of what you need to file or the age of the taxpayer. This is not always the case with some of our competitors who are known to add additional fees after you have committed time to their website. We do charge a small fee to prepare your state return, but feel that our direct pricing, ease of use, and access to customer support make our product the best value in the industry.
victoriap107
2/8/19

I just found out that FreeTaxUsa has made an error of not filling for child tax credit on my state return. Having three children that oversight cost me 1.6k a year. I was able to amend the three years but because of the state limitations am not able to do four more years back- the total of the credit equals to 3k. And what does the customer service do- tells me sorry for your inconvenience!!! When I inquired about the realibility of the software going forward, all I got that lines 12-15 are not supported (!) and who knows whether it will be fixed. Don't file your taxes with them- if they make a mistake it will cost you a lot of money and they are not responsible for your loss!!!

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hi Victoria, we guarantee our calculations and would like to follow up on the support that you received. Can you private message your email address?
kax
2/3/19

I've used this site to file my tax returns for over 10 years and I've never had a problem. I do suggest that if you don't know much about tax laws and filing, you should never do it online yourself. Always go to a professional who can help you face to face. I would only suggest for people to do online filing on this site or sites similar to this one if you know what you're doing.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Thank you for the review of the software. We appreciate your loyalty and hope to continue to earn your business for many years to come.
deborahs336
10/12/18

Please do not use this Company to file your taxes. They really screwed me over with 2017 tax filing with the State of CA. I received a letter of proposed assessment from the Franchise State Tax board stating I owe them $2,000.00. Seems I was not allowed to file as Head of Household because my qualifying dependent made too much money. I have never heard of this income law before and have used this filing status as such every year. I count on the software system that I am paying for to know the laws and have a hard stop in place like they do on some of the other screens. Free TaxUSA of course is stating this was my fault when their software system did not pick up the error and let me know. Even the Tax Advocate and the auditor at the FTB said it was Free TaxUSA's error and I should be refunded. All they wanted to refund me was the $19.95. I am seeking legal action against them to get my money back. Do not use this site, you can file for free right on the FTB website I was told and that is what I will do from now on.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
I’m really sorry for your frustration. We do our best to help customers file their returns correctly and provide many tax alerts to help. On the California Head of Household Questionnaire screen, there's a question that asks for your dependent's income. If you enter an amount that is above what California allows for the Head of Household filing status ($4,050 for 2017), our software will provide a warning that indicates that California might disallow your filing status. You are then given the opportunity to change your filing status, your dependent's income, or file your return as is. You are welcome to sign in to an account on our website to verify that we do provide this warning.
patriciav95
8/10/18

Said that I could private message him and provide him my email address - no link provided! Would like to ask questions regarding 2016 tax return.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hi Patricia, I'm really sorry for the frustration. I would be happy to follow up on this issue with you. Would you please private message your email address?
cynthiaa95
7/3/18

They messed up my routing number and I was charged penalties for late filing and insufficient funds. They promised it wouldn't be a problem ever again but it was. i will never use this process again. You get what you pay for and this is crap.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
I would be happy to follow up on this issue personally. Can you please private message your email address?
carmelb7
4/23/18

Horrible, don't do it. Its one step away from filling out yourself in the library. The system is antiquated and I got charged twice and they were no support. I had to get information on how to get help from TurboTax. DON'T DO IT!

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hello Carmel, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Our customer support team is standing by, and would love to help you resolve any incorrect charges or transactions. Contact them at support@freetaxusa.com
debbier115
4/17/18

I am so upset! I just filled out my entire taxes and then went to pay and it asked for my 3 digit security code, but there was no place to enter it! I tried 2 different cards and tried at least a dozen times each!!! Asked me each time for my 3 digit code and there was NO WHERE to put it, Now my taxes will be LATE! GRRRRR I have always used TaxACT. Note to self....should have used TAXACT!

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
I'm sorry to hear you couldn't enter your three digit security code. One of our customer support agents would be happy to help sort this out for you. Please sign in to your account and click on the "Contact Support" link. Also, the IRS has extended the tax deadline until 4/18/18 at midnight. We can help you get the payment submitted so that your returns are not late.
gregc101
4/17/18

I used FreeTaxUSA to file my federal extension and was caught very off-guard by the process. I was never given a chance to review the input nor was I asked for a digital signature before the return was filed. I was not ready nor did I intend to file the extension but I clicked a "Next" button and the following screen said my extension had been filed successfully. THEN I was given an opportunity to review and the form was wrong, or at least it appeared wrong, as it put my spouse's first name as my middle name on the form. When I inquired with the "support" team, their answer did not address the name issue and further said the return had already been filed and I would need to wait for the IRS to reject it. I used a competitor's product to help my mom file her extension and it was MUCH better! Bad experience ... won't be back.

Tip for consumers: Don't!

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Greg, I'm really sorry for the confusion and would like to follow up on your concerns. Can you private message your email address so that we can do that for you?
cindib9
4/13/18

Per the NYS Tax website, FreeTax USA can be used to file my state taxes FOR FREE if your federal Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) was $51,000 or less and your age was 17 through 61 as of December 31, 2017. I have met this criteria, and yet their website still insists on charging $12.95 for the State filing. Emailed support and have yet to hear anything back.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Cindi, I apologize for the confusion. One of our customer support agents can resolve this for you. Can you send details to Support@FreeTaxUSA.com?
ediec2
4/7/18

I do my whole families taxes and Even complicated returns are done perfectly - have used them for many years and NEVER a problem. I had a problem with the system March 5th so I sent an FB message. They asked me a few questions and helped me get back on. It turns out it wasn't their system it was my location! https://www.facebook.com/FreeTaxUSAOfficial/

Tip for consumers: Double check your work and ask questions!

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Thanks for the review, Edie! We are always happy to help and look forward to seeing you and your family next year.
rufusp9
3/21/18

I will never use freetaxesUsa! The Federal sent my money to free taxes usa and I was only supposed to have $32 dollars tooken from doing my state! I fell on extremely hard times last year in I'm a single mom in my tax money was supposed to save everything we own.. At 3am only $1635.26 was deposited into my account... I'm missing $1238.74!! I called my bank to find out what's going on in they said that your site has keep my money... I need my money and it's horrible that you can't even have a number to get in touch w someone..if I don't receive my Money tomorrow my daughter in I am going to lose everything we own

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hi Rufus, I’m sorry for any frustration you may have experienced. If you did not receive all of your refund, it usually means that the IRS adjusted the refund or garnished it to pay a debt of some kind. Usually, you'll see the reason for the adjustment when you check the status of your refund on the IRS website. You can do this by going to www.IRS.gov and clicking on the "Refunds" option. Check the status and you'll see a message about the adjustment of your refund. If you need additional assistance, we are always willing to help, so please reach out to one of our customer support agents by signing in to your account and clicking on the "Contact Support" link.
heathere37
3/19/18
• Updated review

Thank you for your response but it really doesn't help anything because I have done all of those suggestions you had and told your support as much and that was the answer I still got. I am very knowledgeable in the process of filing returns and such I've been preparing and filing returns for many years and am VERY familiar with how it works, As I said before I followed all the proper steps and it still has no record of my return! where would you like me to send my private email too??

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hi Heather, I will contact you directly through sitejabber to request your email address.
“lost return wont help find it”
3/17/18
• Previous review

I have used this site for a few years not just for myself but my entire family and extended family also, But this year I have had trouble and basically they said nothing we can do sucks to be you! I sent my return via freetaxusa and got an acceptance notification on February 28th my tax return was transmitted sucessfully well it is now March 17th and the IRS shows nothing about my return says it has not been filed. When I notified freetaxusa support I was told it showed it had been accepted and there was nothing they could do to help me find out where it was or why the IRS has not received it !! wow really I will never use this site again and I will tell everyone how bad the support is. I am appalled at this service and lack of responsibility this site has when handling such important material

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hi Heather, I'm sorry to hear that you haven't received your refund and would be happy to follow up on your return and any correspondence you received from us. Can you private message your email address? Generally, if the IRS is not finding your refund, we recommend that you double check the status by signing in to your account and clicking ""Home"" followed by ""Check Return Status."" If your return is accepted, you can check the status of your refund by going to www.IRS.gov and clicking on the Refunds option. Once your return is accepted, the timing of that refund is in the hands of the IRS. They say that most refunds will be processed and sent within 21 days but there can be exceptions. To view reasons that the IRS might take longer to send your return, you can visit their refund FAQ at:

patriciac327
3/16/18

I teach tax law in law school so i know the basic rules although I am not a return preparer. I have been using Turbo Tax for years and not enjoying how much time it takes me to finish a return. They ask too many questions for me and I'm not sure how to skip them although override is sometimes successful.

FreeTaxUSA took me half the time and was much clearer to me -- not to mention cheaper. I balked at using Turbo Tax this year because the edition I had been using year after year suddenly eliminated the full Schedule C. I'm an employee but I have enough consulting income to warrant a Schedule C -- but I don't need a full bells and whistles self employment option for almost twice the price.

And is was great that they could import all my information from my prior filings via Turbo Tax.

I signed in yesterday, completed my return today -- and have word that both federal and state have been accepted,

Everyone has different needs but for my needs this option was terrific. Not perfect -- they did insist that I go back and make entries for things i had left blank because I had nothing to report this year -- and it wasn't clear where the deduction for self employed long term health care went -- but in the end it all worked out.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Thank you for the review! We appreciate your analysis of the software and look forward to seeing you next year.
chrisc441
3/10/18

they suck , i used them last 3 years . they are terrible and getting worse . they lose pass words pass years income tax returns , stay away . use turbotax.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hi Chris, we value our customers and their information and do all we can to keep it secure. Part of this requires that we strictly protect your returns with a username, a password, and security questions. If you are unable to recall your account access information, we have "Forgot Username" and "Forgot Password" features available on the sign in screen. If you need assistance, we do have a friendly support staff that can help. Please send an email to Support@FreeTaxUSA.com. If you'd prefer to private message me your email address, I'd be happy to have someone look into this.
sherrym82
3/9/18

I have used this site for several years with no problem until this year. Their program is easy to use and I was satisfied until this year. For a weird reason I had to mail my state forms rather than efile the state. Trouble is that they do not tell you that until you have paid the $12.95 email fee for the state return. And they refuse to return the payment-just a lot of double talk. I will find another program in the future.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hello Sherry, I apologize for any confusion. We do have a preparation fee for state returns whether you e-file or mail your return. The fee is a flat $12.95 and there are never any hidden fees like many other sites. If you have any questions about why you needed to mail your state return, we will be happy to look into that for you. Please contact our Customer Support by clicking on "Contact Support" when you're logged into your account and our support representatives will be happy to assist you.
waynes94
2/17/18

This is a follow up to my review from a few weeks ago when I lamented that the Free Tax USA software did not rollover my NYS pension from the Federal tax form to the NYS tax form, nor give me an alert to consider. As feared, NYS did not catch this mistake, so I was forced to complete an amended NYS tax form. Free Tax wanted $15 for a completed amendment, which I complained about, but received no response to a request to not be charged. I finally decided to go ahead with the amendment procedure, only to find it was nearly impossible to complete! I sent a question to them about this and basically the answer I received was that I have to make sure that my NYS pension amount was not added into my tax form. WISH I'D THOUGHT OF THAT! Long story short, I ended us printing off a blank copy or the amendment form and completing it by hand. NEVER AGAIN WILL I USE FREETAXUSA!

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hello Wayne, I'm sorry to here you weren't happy with FreeTaxUSA. Since many different types of pensions can be entered in the federal portion of the software, we don't automatically subtract the pension on your New York return. However, we do ask you for the amount of your pension that is eligible for the full subtraction on the Subtractions from Income screen in the New York portion of the software. I'm very sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. We do appreciate the feedback you have given.
sp1237
2/10/18

And have recommended to friends and have used it to help others. NEVER a problem. SO eazzzzy!! Even complicated returns are done perfectly - it is so easy that paying for the state is a bargain...

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Thank you for the review! We look forward to seeing you again next year.
bertw14
2/4/18

if you're on Google researching this place just turn around and never enter the website. My friends also had the same problem last year charged 15 dollars for putting his taxes online for a service called tax preparation which never efiled his taxes just copied what he already had printed out. Same situation that has happen to me..im done ----- this business..to the fullest extent. I feel the need to go to the Better business bureau or a lawyer at this point. They are scamming costumers who never clicked agree to paying to only a 15 useless service.. They also are aware that it cost more to get your money back which hurts the lower income families that rely on that 15 dollars.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Thanks for reaching out to us, Bert! We do all we can to make sure that our taxpayers can e-file. There are some cases, however, when the IRS will not accept returns through e-file. We guarantee our service, so if you are unhappy with any charges, one of our customer support representatives would be happy to investigate and set things right. Please send an email to Support@FreeTaxUSA.com.
williamr186
2/2/18

When you aren't told until AFTER you pay that your INELIGIBLE to efile...after posting my not so supportive review, i was very pleased to get a response from FreeTaxUSA.. I am waiting for a direct call or email from them to hopefully remedy the situation.. Will keep posted.. changed rating from 1 star to 3 as i am impressed they got back to me so quickly! Billy

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hi Allan, I'm really sorry! Unfortunately, the IRS and states will no longer accept prior year returns through e-file, so the only way to file your prior year return is with paper forms. We appreciate your remarks and will use them as we look for ways to make the software better for our customers. We will contact you directly to find a resolution.
miriamw9
2/1/18

For the last two years I have had trouble logging into FreeTaxUSA.com. Last year I had to create a new password each time I wanted to log in. I finally got my taxes done. This year I had to create a new account because after about 20 trys I could not log n. Each time I created a new password, and it was accepted. But it would not allow me to log in. I had nearly finished my taxes but had to log out. I have since not been able to get back into the account no matter how many new passwords I have created. I have also tried another browser with no better results. I have jused FTU for years, but the last 2 it has gone to pot. The company is not fixing it, only responding in such a way as to imply I am stupid and it is my error. I now have to find another program that works.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hello, Miriam, I'm sorry to hear you've had trouble accessing your account and would like to follow up with you on this. Can you private message me your email address?
deanf32
1/14/18

I have used FreeTaxUSA for 5-6 years maybe a bit longer with no problems other than the one time I forgot to add some information. one thing that makes me a little upset not with FreeTaxUSA but some of the people that give FreeTaxUSA a bad review. please, people, take on the responsibility of your own mistakes and stop blaming FreeTaxUSA. the software they have works just fine and have used it for many years and intend to keep using it.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Thanks for the review, Dean! We look forward to helping you file your 2017 tax return.
christineg85
8/16/17

I received a letter from IRS this summer (2017) telling me that I had not paid taxes on my retirement income for 2015. I remembered entering the data from my 1099R when I filed my 2015 taxes, but it was not there in my return. Unfortunately, I had not checked the arithmetic myself so I had not noticed the error. When I filed my 2016 taxes, it was easier to enter the 1099R data because the software remembers the payer information and prompts you to fill out the form. When I contacted FreeTaxUSA about the error on my 2015 taxes, the support person insisted that I had failed to enter my 1099R. Now, I had to pay the federal taxes plus interest, amend my 2015 federal and state forms (for a fee), and pay additional state taxes. The refunds I received in 2016 for my federal and state taxes were greater than the amount I had to pay after recalculating. I had used FreeTaxUSA since 2012, but now I cannot trust them.

Response from Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Hi Christine, thanks for writing and I sincerely apologize for the frustration. We guarantee the calculations made by the software to be 100% accurate based on the information entered and would be happy to look into this further. Will you please private message your email address?

I can't get a simple did my account get filed because I can't log in.

By linda b.

Hi Mimi, we’re more than willing to help you with any concerns you have. If you need help, or feel like there’s been a mistake, we’re always standing by to assist you. You can reach our friendly customer support representatives at support@freetaxusa.com. To be clear on some of the accusations from your comments, security is our top priority. We use bank grade encryption on all transactions and have securely filed millions of tax returns with the IRS. The five star reviews on this (and other) sites are from real customers, many of whom have filed multiple years using our service. You can read more reviews from verified customers at http://www.freetaxusa.com/reviews.jsp. FreeTaxUSA.com has been approved for e-filing with the IRS since our founding in 2001. Most recently we've been working with the IRS and state tax administrators as part of the IRS Security Summit. The focus of the Security Summit is putting together even tougher safeguards for protecting taxpayers in 2016. There are steps we all should take, on a personal level, to help protect our information as well. The IRS has some great information about that on https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Taxes-Security-Together.

By Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative

Hi Jaime, yes you are always given an option to print and mail your tax return. In this case, since it's a prior year tax return, it will have to be printed and mailed. The IRS only accepts e-filed returns for current year taxes.

By Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative

Hi Felita, if you've already tried the Forgot username? and Forgot password? tools, you can email me directly at sam@freetaxusa.com with the email address you use in your FreeTaxUSA account. If you'd like to contact support directly you can email support@freetaxusa.com.

By Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative

Hi Latonia, our website offers prior year tax return preparation for 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. The pricing is the same as our current year product: Federal returns are free and State returns are $12.95. To prepare a prior year return: 1- Go to the FreeTaxUSA home page 2- Select the "Prior Year Products" link located at the top of the home page 3- Click on the year you would like to access and follow the prompts to access that software. Please be aware that the IRS only accepts e-filed returns for the current tax year. The only way to submit a prior year return is to print and mail the return.

By Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative

Hi Kant, FreeTaxUSA is an online tax preparation website owned by TaxHawk, Inc. The company was founded in 2001 by a certified public accountant and a team of professional software developers. Their combined experience in tax preparation, programming, and internet technology has made FreeTaxUSA one of the fastest growing tax websites online today. FreeTaxUSA is an original member of the IRS Free File Alliance and an authorized IRS e-file provider. The company has securely filed over 14 million federal tax returns with the IRS. Each year, the website helps taxpayers save millions of dollars in tax preparation fees with free federal and low-cost state offers.

By Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative

Hi Ron, if your return includes a stock summary, our software will provide instructions for sending your statements after you have e-filed. The IRS doesn't typically accept stock statements through e-file but they do allow you to e-file and mail the statements later. If you would like assistance with this, please sign in to your account and click on the "Contact Support" link.

By Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative

Hello Antwoine! As you move through the screens, FreeTaxUSA will ask if you have a W-2 form to enter. You can also access this screen by selecting the "Income" menu at the top, followed by "Wages (Form W-2)."

By Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative

Hi Ron! Our software supports both rental and stock investment income. If you have specific questions about either of these items, one of our customer support representatives would be happy to help. You can message them at Support@FreeTaxUSA.com or you can click on the "Contact Support" link while signed in to your account.

By Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative

Thanks for reaching out to us, Corey! One of our customer support agents would be happy to look into this for you. Can you sign in to your account and click on the "Contact Support" link?

By Sam S., FreeTaxUSA Representative
Questions? Get answers from the FreeTaxUSA staff and other customers.

2 Photos for FreeTaxUSA