Review of TravelSmith

Tel: 800-770-3387
service@travelsmith.com

barbaram206
8/31/17

We had been customers of TravelSmith for years. I purchased a blazer for my husband and he wore it several times but the lining kept showing out of the jacket.

In the past, we would mail items back to TravelSmith(for example, a zipper that broke and they fixed it and sent it back) to be fixed. So, I mailed the blazer back to TravelSmith and asked them to fix the lining.

They cannot find the jacket and also told me they do not fix items any more. I am so disappointed in TravelSmith. I want the blazer back even with lining sticking out of sleeves.

thomasm271
8/28/17

I ordered Tropical Microfiber Pants a second time in 60 days. I was informed after waiting two weeks on the first order that the pants were back ordered. Nowhere on site or confirmation was there indication of not available. I tried a second time, being sure to check availability, and nowhere did site indicate these pants were not available. On submitting order it indicated delivery in 5 days. The email confirmation notice stated 10-12 day delivery. Now after 13 days I called and was told they are back ordered and not available for another 3 weeks. Very frustrating to deal with TravelSmith. I've dealt with this company before with no problems. Something has changed for the worse in the last year.

joanr34
7/18/17

I ordered a variety of items from Travelsmith. All were horrible. Quality, cut, fit, integrity. Junk all around. You can probably buy better products at the Dollar Store.

sarar71
6/29/17

I was gifted a $100 TravelSmith gift card for Christmas this past year. I purchased several items on their website but when they did not show up after several months I reached out. I was told on 3 separate occasions that the items had shipped and would arrive soon. This all took place over a 4 month period. Finally I asked if the gift card could just be reimbursed or replaced. They said they would issue a new gift card but I have yet to receive it and it's been over 2 months. I have reached out to them yet again but have yet to receive a response.

I am normally not the type to write many reviews, but wanted to make others aware that TravelSmith is not a good gift to give or a customer friendly company to purchase from.

jeffk106
6/10/17

Placed 2 separate orders. Sizing came wrong and materials not what i thought they should be. I was CHARGED from both returns because i would not rebuy anything from them.. Would never buy from them again.,

angelad103
5/10/17

Purchased a couple of vests. Sent them back to exchange for different sizes. Did not receive the items. Cancelled my order and asked for a refund. Customer service said they already refunded me and will not issue another refund. It's now 4 months later and still no refund. Will never order from this company again. What a bunch of scumbags. Time to get VISA involved and let them go after these jerks.

jamesm639
5/7/17

This place used to be well run but apparently some shark investors have moved in, gutted it, and are now routinely ripping off buyers. Terrible service, your order. doesn't even get filled for days after you place it, and the mailing costs have risen to prohibitive levels. I urge shoppers to avoid Travel Smith (and please note that it has nothing to do with Smith College!!!!). Shop at your own risk: the business appears to have been taken over by real corporate bottom feeders.

beckyw32
4/7/17

I couldn't believe that I ordered clothes according to my measurements and they were way too big! Still I have to pay to send them back?! Also, was on hold with customer service for 15 min just to cancel a backorder. Will not order again.

kimp120
4/5/17

I returned several items to TravelSmith in October 2016. Two months later, I still had not seen the refund for those items on my credit card statement so I sent TravelSmith an e-mail. They responded that the refund was issued on October 29, 2016. I asked them to double-check and they wrote back to confirm it was issued on that date. I have NOT received the refund and TravelSmith seems content to (1) lie and then (2) do nothing further. It's a shameful way to run a company. After years of purchasing from them, I'm done.

vickih38
4/4/17

These guys can't get their house in order. Tried over a month to get the clothing I ordered on-line. Five phone calls later, nobody seemed to know if it was back-ordered or in stock. Kept getting different stories. But never got the clothing. What a disaster. Would never, ever buy anything from them again.

susans317
3/24/17

I have been ordering items from TravelSmith since 2005 and until recently was thrilled with their service (shipping, customer service, products, etc.) Then they "relocated" their warehouse, updated their website and did something awful with their customer service. Like the other reviewers mention, there new customer service is obviously outsourced, grossly understaffed and truly horrific. (My husband who has had the misfortune to listen to their canned music while on hold because I'm caller number 16 and it takes over an hour to get a human says he thinks the music is chosen intentionally to get folks to hang up.) I had three orders in process during the warehouse move -- one was returned and took nearly 2 1/2 weeks to refund my account even though I had the UPS tracking number that it was delivered, the other two were items that took nearly 28 days to even get them "picked" and shipped -- turns out, after multiple calls to Customer Service, that it was because of back-ordered items. Never once did I receive an e-mail telling me the items were back-ordered (not during check-out or at first with Customer Service). I finally cancelled the order just this week. Unfortunately, I will never order from TravelSmith again. Used to be a great company. No longer.

frankieg12
3/24/17

Placed an order but after a week, status was still in process. When you call, you are placed on hold. There must be only one person who works in customer service because you are placed on a queue which goes down 1 at a time. When I spoke to someone about my order-they told me it was held up because items were on back order & there was no telling when it would ship. I needed 2 items for a trip so I ordered them. Well, they lied because my new order & the previous order both shipped on the same day. This company just wanted me to order & charge me for shipping. Please be careful when ordering from them because you are much better off going to Amazon. These guys are the WORST!!!!

patriciae32
3/11/17

I ordered a gift for a friend. Travel smith contacted me over and over again to say the item was on backorder. I called to speak to a representative and was told the gift would be shipped in a few days. The next day I received a email informing me it was on backorder! I attempted to speak to a customer service rep many times to cancel. I wasted precious time hanging on and on and on. Finally I spoke with someone who was rude and just made my already bad mood worse. She ends up telling me that my order was cancelled in late February, but I never got through to do it. What a mess. Good-bye TravelSmith. It hasn't been fun.

michelep32
3/3/17

I ordered one of their popular items - the 360 spinner carry-on with free tote. Upon receipt I tested the handle and it clearly didn't work so I packed it up, included the label and clearly indicated I wanted an exchange. That was on January 25, 2017 - I confirmed with customer service that the item was received and a replacement item would be shipped within 7 to 10 days. Reasonable! When the item did not arrive I called again and was told that it had not been processed since they were in the middle of relocating the warehouse but if I needed the item soon I could just buy another one and when they finished processing the return I would get a refund - that was not going to happen I wasn't paying double - I was assured all would be fine and the item would ship within 7 - 10 days - not reasonable but acceptable. Nothing came so I continued to call and now I realized it was a big scam - no merchandise was coming however I did get someone to commit to a date and was told my replacement would arrive on March 2 - Here it is March 3 and I'm told I was given a full refund because the item was out of stock by supervisor - contrary to what customer service told me. I told the supervisor after 8 weeks of lies and delays they should just send me the item free of charge of course I didn't expect that but I could give her my credit card and we could start the process of lies, delayed delivery dates, shoddy products all over again. I don't think so. Travelsmith was once a reliable company with good products. No longer - I will never do business with them again. The 4 weeks of outright lies is no way to treat a a customer.

hopel12
2/2/17

I'm shocked with this website and company. My sister and I both received $25 gift cards for this site two years ago and were able to find not one desirable, affordable item on the website. Clearly, the company doesn't actually cater to real travelers (only snowbirds willing to pay exorbitant prices for mediocre products). Today, I finally thought I might have found a half decent item on the website (due to the stated 25% discount), but then found out they have an additional $7.99 in shipping costs and that the discount didn't apply to basically any of their half-decent brands. Our grandparents got us these wretched gift cards, and we're convinced they got scammed. They obviously didn't know that people like us, who travel the world long term, purchase real travel gear such as one would take backpacking (e.g. high-quality outdoor backpacks, clothing, and gear). They don't carry anything decent or remotely affordable. Having a $25 gift card might maybe bring prices down to normal price at another store, and then it's still exorbitant once you consider shipping. No sleeping bag liners, no quality headlamps, no real travel gear. It's like looking at sky mag!

elleh3
1/23/17

Purchased sweater for $24.74 Shipping was $7.95 = $32.69 total. I received it and wasn't the right size. If you return the item with the enclosed packing label you will be charged $6.95. If you want to exchange the item there is no charge. So I decided to exchange it (even though I really didn't like it that much) I just wanted to save the $6.95. They received it on 1/9 and I never got an email or phone call so I called on 1/18 and was told that it was in the warehouse and should be shipped out soon but to follow up in a week. The following day I got a voicemail message saying that they unfortunately they didn't have my size in stock and will be refunding my credit card. On 1/23 I checked my credit card statement and it didn't show anything. So I called to check on the status. The lady I spoke to looked up my account and said that there was a note on the account saying that they left a message and was waiting to hear back from me. (NOT AT ALL WAS THIS SAID IN THE MESSAGE) She then said that she would send it through to the refund authorization department to get me my refund. I asked her what the amount of the refund would be and she said $17.79!! I asked her to clarify the $14.90 difference!!! She said that the shipping would be deducted from the item amount. I explained that it wasn't my fault that they didn't have my size in stock and I can understand if I only got the $24.74 back excluding the original shipping. I have NEVER EVER experienced this with any company in my entire life! After practically begging she then said that she would credit me the $24.74. I think that they need to stop misleading people with the 100% satisfaction and free shipping on all exchanges!!!

cd113
1/15/17

This is the most difficult site I have ever had to work with. Never, never use their gift certificates. If you get one, buy something and then exchange it they credit the original gift certificate, which you have long since thrown away as used. No other company I have ever dealt with does this. Usually they just issue a new certificate with the amount of credit you are due. So avoid travelsmith...their shipping costs are usurious and their service is awful. I was given incorrect certificate numbers. Finally we were able to use the money we were due, but trust me...NEVER go to this site.

nilesw
4/8/16

They are currently doing a monthly travel essay contest. In four months, there has only been one winner. I am starting to suspect this is about getting emails for advertising purposes and not actually submitting something that might win. Emails to Travelsmith and the judging magazine have not been acknowledged or answered.

Don't both submitting an essay in the hopes of winning, something is wrong here.

lindah165
4/6/16

All the emails I receive from Travelsmith.com say "free shipping ends tonight ". I placed an order where I also received 40% off. There was nothing on the website, or it was in tiny print and weLL hidden, that said anything about not qualifying for free shipping if you also used the discount. So I spent over $200 and was charged $15 plus for shipping . Customer service refused to refund the shipping cost. I don't deal with deceptive companies . Site also says free exchanges but fails to mention "returns" will cost you . So beware, you only get one deal from them, free shipping or a discount , not both. And if you don't like the merchandise and are not exchanging it, it will cost you postage .

taraf8
4/2/16

Placed my order for 6 items. Should have gotten discounts on each of them ("buy 2 of item and save $). My total price was off by 20% because no discounts were applied. The crazy shopping cart even listed two items at $15.99 sale price, but it was crossed out, and the original price of $20 was still charged instead!

So I did a chat with customer service and Shawna was polite and helpful, She said she could make the corrections after my order was placed and she had an order number. I verified all the amounts with her.

When she gave me the new total, it was only a few dollars less than the original. Turns out they wouldn't honor the $20 overall discount I had originally for spending over $100. She checked with a supervisor....they wouldn't combine it with the sale items.

So, over 20 minutes of chat, just to try to save $20 and it couldn't be done. Their website clearly said "save $20 on purchases over $100 - discount taken at checkout". It did not state not valid with sale items. Shawna cancelled the order at my request.

AVOID this company at all costs and go back to Amazon. I should have gone there first...what was I thinking?? After reading these other reviews, TravelSmith should be out of business.

Tip for consumers: Run away from this site! And if you have used it, check your order...they have definitely over charged you and not given you the listed sale prices on your items.

barbarat47
3/24/16

Contacted customer service for money back on a travel smith adventure bag. The bag is poorly designed and never fit my needs. Got the response that they could not help me at all. I will NEVER buy from them. They have deceptive practice for guarantee, not truthful.

melissas119
3/16/16

This is a great company. If you ever have to return something, they are quick to refund. I recently purchased something from their competitor, Magellans, which I returned and it took 2 phone calls and six weeks before I saw the credit even though I had tracking information and a signature. Never again. I will always buy from Travelsmith for this type of merchandise.

mikem295
11/5/15

Try to make a long story short: ordered a pair of pants - pants came and were wrong color, but fit fine. Ordered a second pair, which another $100+ dollars was charged, to compare which pants I really desired. The second pair of pants were the WRONG material (microfiber vs washable wool), the WRONG measurements (waist AND inseam), and they charged me an extra $8 to get them to me on time. I'm a long time customer and have had some minor trouble before, but this was the worst. I Think I'm finished w/ TS !

laurab118
10/27/15

I ordered a carry on and after almost 2 months and 6 phone calls later...
all different stories as to why I had not recieved my luggage I finally said just forget it.
The product is good, clothes were nice but I am done with the lies and run around,
they lost a good customer

nancyh70
10/3/15

I carefully read the return policy and it stated that 9.95 shipping would be deducted from my credit for the return. It was NOT stated that there is an *additional* charge of 6.95 to "handle the return".
This in the age of free shipping, free returns. Never again anything from Travelsmith.
Beware!

There's a place run by those gals on "Orange is the new black" that might broker out a sale for you.

By Jayne D.

You can return at anytime. There is no time limit for returns or exchanges.

By Tami A., TravelSmith Representative

Helpful answer -2

I hope they notified you via email and you still have it. Have you tried calling them? If not do so and if person you get connected to won't help cause she can't have her connect you to a manager. Good luck Oh and your probly irritated but if you talk to then nicely rather than angry your apt to get results. Terri

By Terri S.
Questions? Get answers from the TravelSmith staff and other customers.

1 Photo for TravelSmith