Review of TravelSmith

Tel: 800-770-3387
service@travelsmith.com

jh570
4/19/19

Took about 10 days to get my order after placing it. Order says "FedEx" but it's really the U.S. Postal Services. Cost was $22 to ship stuff to me. Return to ship back to them is $7.50. Far far far too expensive to shop online. I am only keeping one thing out of an order of 6 items. Quality of a jacket is paperthin and see through. Cardigan is much too larger even in my original size. Tops were supposed to be "reversible" but they're really just pinned at the bustline so it gives the "illusion" it is a v-neck. Material was too clingy. Would not order from here again and I am afraid that pants I DID keep are going to be collecting things because they are very staticy. Forget it.

frankp277
4/11/19

Bought wife a gift cert for birthday. Not emailed despite calling to verify order. Then called customer service. Non English speaking useless help. Called ba k next day, given big apology line and a 25% off for issue, but when went to order discount not good for many items. After reading these other reviews I guess they don't seem to care.

paulag131
4/1/19

I made the mistake of seeing a dress I thought would be nice for travel, and I put it on my Christmas list. My relatives did not communicate well, and I ended up with two of them. They were HUGE despite being extra smalls. Also, these were supposed to be specifically designed for travel, but they were incredibly wrinkly and obviously were not wrinkle free items. I sought to return them. Strangely, I was issued THREE merchandise credits (for two items) and was told I would receive free shipping for an exchange. I did not receive free shipping. Their clothes all seem to run HUGE. I am normally a size 6 but everything looked enormous on their website. I tried to take advantage of one of their sales (for a pair of boots--they can't mess up the sizing on those, right?), but the exclusions basically made getting them on sale impossible. I finally found a peruvian pima tank top I could buy that might fit in an XS. I ordered three because I truly just wanted to use the credit and there was nothing in their whole store that I wanted. Shipping took forever (no modern clothing company takes this long) and when I received my items, two of the tank tops were there and they sent me a third item that wasn't even remotely related to the tank top. It was item 641352 in size Medium. I kid you not, it was actually about a 2X despite being labeled medium. My two kids laughed when I pulled it out of the package to show them because this was supposed to be for me! Now, I have to package up this item (yet again) and drive back to the post office because they messed up. (Many companies nowadays just say go ahead and donate it when they make mistakes.) And, they are going to take as long to send the replacement item as the first go-round, which took almost two weeks! What a flipping joke this company is! Overpriced clothing, huge sizes, and snail-like shipping. They really just need to close down. I am sure they eventually will. In somewhat positive news, the XS tank tops are only slightly large--so with a few high heat dryer cycles, I may actually get to wear the $80 my relatives so graciously spent on me initially. Mind you, I would be able to find these tank tops in a store for about $15 each (or at Venus), but at this point, I just never want to deal with this company again.

susanf327
3/25/19

I ordered two items which I was unhappy with and returned them. Jacket was not as pictured. The refund was less their expensive shipping and the cost of a return label which was one third of the original shipping. I will not be ordering from this company again.

markd656
3/22/19

Shipping was super expensive and did not arrive in the time frame promised. I feel ripped off their profit margin should be in the product they sell not shipping.

sm393
3/9/19

I ordered a dress (which had no reviews). I've ordered from this company for over 13 years. The print showed colors of teal, pink/rose, light blue. 8 days later, after paying huge shipping, I received a poorly made dress in orange, gray, navy and some sort of red purple. It is hideous. They had to know they were sending something that was wrong. Yet they took the money, shipped. I phoned the minute I received it. Other companies would give a courtesy refund and ask me to return it. These people acted like I was a thief and refused to do so, telling me to use their label (return time via USPS is going to be 7 days) plus then they'd 'decide' whether to refund and will then refund within 5 days. SO they will have been sitting on my money for 3 weeks or more. The "supervisor" I spoke to sounded as if she smokes 7 packs of cigarettes a day. She was beyond rude, and made it clear they wanted to SEE if they agree with me before there's a refund. I mentioned the 'damn garment' and she told me she'd hang up on me for cursing. They'll do ANYTHING to keep from doing their JOB in customer 'service'. I don't know what's happened to this company, but they've gone from being my favorite to the worst. OH and I phoned back to have them remove me from the mailing list. I got some guy in Philippines and he wanted catalog number. I thrown them all away AT THE MAILBOX. He then transferred me to, you guessed it, Customer Service even though I told him not to. The 'customer service' person said I'd have to talk to the mailing list guy and transferred me back to Philippines. Filthy, awful company of do-nothings! Adding: Today I see they didn't refund the entire shipping amount. Had to phone them AGAIN. What does it take for this company to ever do the rifht thing?

mcy
2/23/19

The clothes are OK, the clothes prices are reasonable, BUT they use a forwarder called international checkout that charged nearly DOUBLE the price of the garments to ship to Japan and THEN they failed to fill out the customs form properly so I was charged DUTY and CUSTOMS fees on non-dutiable items. Sorry, I no longer have the receipt. I hoped they would respond to customer feedback but they have not. Too bad. They've always been fine, but NEVER again. For comparison, I ordered similar items from another US retailer and there was no duty or customs fees (they filled out the form correctly) and the cost was less than 1/10 for the shipping.

karenr485
2/14/19

Everywhere else offers free shipping, free returns. Their sizes run big/huge. My return was shorted just under $50! Horrible practice, for clothes that aren't great in the first place.

Tip for consumers: Run the other way

gingerc43
2/13/19

These were the worst clothes I have ever seen! They were horribly wrinkled when I removed them from the packages. They were poorly made. Cheap looking. The fit was terrible and very unflattering. I returned everything. I was not given a full refund. Initial shipping, a portion of the taxes, and return shipping at my expense.
I ended up purchasing Antonio Melani clothes from Dillard's that traveled very well (no ironing), fit nicely, and were very flattering.
I will never purchase anything from Travelsmith again. Not only will I never recommended Travelsmith, but I will warn anyone that asks.

mn102
2/2/19

Had to return garment that didn't fit-initial cost - $89.00.
T Smith refunded $68.00(initial shipping plus return shipping= $21.00).

karolh11
11/30/18

I ordered an "above the knee" dress in medium. When it arrived, it was way too large and fell several inches below my knees. I am 5'4" tall. The catalog model must have been 5'10" or more for the dress to have been so high above her knees. I decided I had to return the dress. I noted that by using the return label they enclosed, they would deduct nearly $8 from my refund. I called the company to complain about these return charges as I felt the photo and description of the dress were deceptive. The company "service" person was obviously very annoyed, but agreed that I would not be charges for the return postage. I just received notice of my refund. They deducted $18.14 from my refund. This is a terrible company and deserves to be put out of business.

janw166
11/2/18

I really like the catalog items but won't order again because delivery is painfully slow. Their shipping costs are high enough to warrant better customer service.

jeannettew9
9/16/18

I have ordered three pair of pants and three longsleeved T-shirts and was out raged to find that shipping was $23. I called customer service to request a waiver and they refused. Horrible business model.

noelb47
9/7/18

Although I received from this company a skirt that I like last June, it is now September and they will not stop sending me emails. Despite many requests to unsubscribe, I get daily emails from them and am so sick of deleting/squestering them that i wish I had never ordered anything. Stick to REI, Patagagonia, etc. for on line orders of travel items. TravelSmith does not play fair.

victoriar96
8/27/18

It is not worth doing business with this company. Their shipping charges are the highest possible for the slowest service. They also do not keep their word. I was promised upgraded shipping so an item would get to me before I left on my trip. They did not do what they said and therefore the item will not be arriving in time. I'm done with this company.

dk141
8/10/18

IT DOES NOT COST 19.99 to mail a pair of pants and top. This company is a complete RIP OFF!!!!!! I am very disappointed with the quality. I used to buy pants for my mother and very disappointed in what we have received. I would think people would buy more if Travel Smith had free shipping on orders over $100 because it is crazy to pay these current shipping cost.

lynb24
6/4/18

I called to ask them about a women's pants that didn't show where the waistline was and it didn't online either. I was on hold for 6 minutes and discovered that they have now shipped their customer service out of the country. I won't deal with companies that do that. No one knew the answer to my question. I have used them for more than 20 years. Never again.

karrieb1
5/11/18

I have a backpack on order. It was not shipped until 6 days after I placed the order, then allow 10 days for shipping. If you want something this year don't order from Travelsmith. Very disappointed!

deborahp80
4/13/18

This is a coat that fits in a 6x6 pouch and is touted as light as a feather? Customer service said shipping is based on the PRICE of the order not the weight???? The woman on the phone really tried, but not even a supervisor could over ride.

lindat176
4/12/18

I placed a order for a pair of slacks the end of March. I received a email from the company that they had received my order and I would receive it in 4-7 business day on March 25....I still have not received order. When I emailed Travel Smith about the order on April they advised it was on back order and would be sent out around the middle of MAY. I should have been notified of this by Travel Smith....VERY DISAPPOINTED. AS A TRAVEL AGENT DO NOT FEEL I CAN RECOMMEND THEM TO CLIENTS.

nancyd166
4/4/18

I am a long time customer of TravelSmith - and was shocked and very disappointed with the new ownership of TravelSmith - I was told they are not honoring the warranty on products purchased before they bought the company. The main zipper on a roller bag that I purchased broke, while still under warranty, and I was told the new owners will not honor the 3-year warranty on the product. Is there a headquarters I could send a letter to to complain?

lindac351
3/8/18

Travelsmith used to be a reliable company with good customer service. In the past few months they have gone to pot. Hear they were taken over by a "big" company; one that apparantly does not give a flip about good service. Save yourself major frustration: do not buy from this company. Linda C March 2018

danielb106
10/15/17

Before you get started be aware that regular shipping is apparently by horse drawn wagon, 10-12 business days! Translation 2-3 weeks!

cherid12
9/24/17

Placed an order for a necklace and pant suit on Aug.4, 2017. At that time I was notified that the pant suit would not ship until Aug 10, 2017. My cruise wasn't until Sept 9th, no worries. The Necklace was received by Aug 15th. I checked on my pant suit and the order stated "Ready for picking" not know what that meant, I called and was told that the pant suit would be available on the 21st of August. At that time I asked if they would be so kind to offer complimentary "express" shipping and was told that they don't do that. I took my concern to email and was assured that the outfit would ship on Aug 24th. Ok, checked back on my order and was told that it would be available on August 30th and that they would provide FedEx express shipping to be certain it arrived for my trip. On September the outfit FINALLY was shipped and due to arrive Sept 9th!!! The day my cruise departed plus NO EXPRESS SHIPPING AS PROMISED!!! The outfit did arrive on Sept 11th!!! I have no need for the outfit and necklace, contacted customer service to ask for them to provide free return shipping since this was their foul-up and was told this was not one of their procedures.Well, letting others know of a bad company IS one of my procedures!

loism36
9/6/17

They sent a luggage with brown stains on the inside fabric. They told me I had to rebox it and drag it to the post office to return. Did they offer me any compensation? No. Would they let me buy a different suitcase at the same sale terms as the damaged one? No. Even the manager would not do anything. Horrible quality control and worse customer service.

There's a place run by those gals on "Orange is the new black" that might broker out a sale for you.

By Jayne D.

You can return at anytime. There is no time limit for returns or exchanges.

By Tami A., TravelSmith Representative

Helpful answer -2

I hope they notified you via email and you still have it. Have you tried calling them? If not do so and if person you get connected to won't help cause she can't have her connect you to a manager. Good luck Oh and your probly irritated but if you talk to then nicely rather than angry your apt to get results. Terri

By Terri S.
Questions? Get answers from the TravelSmith staff and other customers.

1 Photo for TravelSmith