US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

laurad36

I just recently purchased a dog from Sunset Acres Kennels in Butler, MO. (in 30 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

juliej49
7/21/16

Much to my dismay - my recent experience with adopting a dog was not good. The website was great, I found a dog fast, and the local agency (about 1 1/2 hour drive from my home) approved my application. The cost was high - but I thought I was getting a pure bred Boston Terrier in good health. After driving out to pickup our new pet - we discover he is not only a mixed breed - but after getting him home we discovered he had kennel cough. I thought I was doing a good thing - now am caring for a sick mutt and worried my other Boston Terrier will get sick. These agencies play up all the positives - and play down all the negatives. And - if you complain - they just say, "well, it is in the contract...", or, "you can always return him..." So - if you plan to adopt a pet - be prepared to bring home a surprise.

sharony10
6/26/16

I have gotten two dogs with petfinder with good resulta

margoa3
6/25/16

Wanted a bull.terrier rescue and found my baby on this site thru a girl registered on it who is a rescue person. The dog came fully vetted and I was able to go see her in her home etc etc.

I am sooo thankful

elisabethf1
5/18/16

I have inquired about dogs on this sight several times and never heard back from anyone other than somebody in Texas. It's a bit confusing to understand where these dogs actually are being fostered. I want to meet a dog before I adopt. I did get wise finally and just looked on the drop-down list of rescue organizations and shelters in my area and started looking there, but even then I still have gotten very few responses. These rescue animals need loving homes, so I don't understand the lack of responses. I would not recommend just browsing on Petfinder, if anything find your local rescue groups and go that route.

kateb54
4/6/16

Petfinder connected me to a lot of people who were exploiting the site to find out information about me and where i lived. It was really awful. Please don't use it as this site is not unsafe by itself but it is full of unsafe people.

chrisl149
3/24/16

Excellent

pc68
3/14/16

I found my girl Sophie on Petfinder. I would recommend it as the first place to go when looking for a companion animal. It has easy search options. Just key in your location, what type of creature you're looking for, breed, gender, age, size, optional questions are does your home have cats/dogs/children.
Then the site filters through and presents you with a photo album of animals who might fit the profile you've created. It's wise to record maybe four possibilities. Also remember that some shelters won't have an animal filed by name. Definitely have any case numbers as well.
I feel it's also good to have several options so you can make a better choice. You only know if a creature is a good fit for you by meeting them. Not just from an online description. An example, I was taken by a photo of a male dog at a local shelter. When I actually met him he was much larger than his picture suggested.
They also hadn't mentioned his tendency to hump humans. He was so wound up he ripped my jacket as I tried to snap on his leash. Sadly I had the warden take him back to his kennel. The story ended happy though...The pup in the next cage turned out to be a winner and has been with us for four years now.

lyseo
3/4/16

How can you adopt a dog when the shelter is in Vermont (close to my home) and the dog is still in Texas?
Found out when I requested a visit.
To add insult to injury I was told that there would be 2-3 applications
considered. Guess what? Don't you think that an application from a neighboring state to Texas would have more chance than me? I would think so. Just in terms of saving the transport cost to New England. No thanks, I'll adopt from my local shelter.

laurah114
3/1/16

Great easy to use site to help connect people find their perfect pet. Love this site. Recommend it all the time.

paulb230
2/23/16

They Suck No Customer Service !! We tried to adopt a pet from them & we just went to
Santa Cruz and Adopted a dog !!!
We filled out forms @ emailed into them & No Phone # to call & talk to any one !!!
We sent pictures of inside and outside got static about fence height
They are terrible to work with !!!

theresad21
2/21/16

Petfinder is an inexpensive way some reputable shelters use to get animals adopted. That said, I wouldn't recommend using Petfinder to contact the shelter or to apply unless you don't want to be seriously considered. I can see the shelter's point of view - on the internet, no one knows if you are a dog. If you serious about adopting, then go to the shelter when they are open and talk to the volunteers, meet the animal, and if you are match then you'll have a new addition to your home. For all you know, there will be a better fit for your family at the shelter that was NOT on petfinder. That's what it's all about - family.

mimic10
12/30/15

I want to adopt two kitten/cats, found a perfect pair through Petfinder. One of the directors from the charities conducted a phone interview with me, asking all sort of questions to assure that I would be a good cats adopter. She told me that I would be a good cat Mom and asked me to fill out an application form. One day after, she called me back and told me that her manager denied my application because I did not answer the question the way they wanted. (Are you kidding!!!!) She then told me that she has no power to make decision. What a joke.

lorib58
12/28/15

Ridiculous expectations, Inquiries not responded to. Rude foster owners. You could have a child with less expectations. I've had pets my whole life and never had such a crazy experience. I will start looking for breeders but feel bad that I couldn't adopt a dog that needs a home now. What a waste of time.

graceb35
12/26/15

I'm so sorry to have to get to this point, to have to write such a bad review after the deplorable circumstances.
My husband and I were approved to adopt a very sweet looking puppy. When we were squaring things away for the delivery, to our surprise we were hit with an email by this woman, who has the power to denied adoption, playing with our feelings and for the best interest of the puppy to have a loving, caring family.
She accommodated, constantly, to her needs, and sympathized with the lady who supposed to deliver the puppy. Never show interest in working with us.
I tried repeatedly to get in touch with someone. I do understand this is Christmas time, but will like a call from corporate, or someone.
I have all the mails to prove how sour and heartless this woman from Kentucky is. She abuse of her powers, judging us, and insinuating we were not telling the truth.
She obviously has a total lack of communication skills.

connieb52
11/23/15

Just love to browse Petfinder where you can find any type of pet you are looking for.

jamess319
11/2/15

johannak
10/12/15

We found our Rotti here and have had him for almost 8 years now! I totally recommend this site!

deborahl34
10/8/15

Find the process takes so long, have not heard back for the Ferry Dog Mothers in a bit. I think this discourages people from adopting dogs through these foster homes. Started Sept 29 and still do not know if I get the dog . Or even had a home visit set up.

judys38
8/23/15

I wrote to pet finder numerous times with no answer what so ever ..

gloriettaa
8/13/15

nice and clean shop

donnah50
6/30/15

I always check Petfinder when I'm looking for a companion animal to adopt. I like being able to search by geographic area as well as by pet type. I rely on Petfinder.

haleym7
6/11/15

They help you find shelters nearby to adopt loving animals in need of homes.

mm130
5/19/15

On petfinder you cannot:
search by key words in descriptions like "mellow" or "fluffy"
exclude a breed or breeds from a search
sort the results by oldest or newest listings
exclude or include listings that specify things like "must own a house with yard"
exclude or include listings where the dog is being transported hundreds of miles

There are two main issues--one, the data collected from the shelters is pretty spotty. Some shelters enter descriptions that are, well, descriptive. other shelters copy and paste the same thing every time. Although petfinder attempts to offer a filter for "kids in home", shelters provide poor data so that you will still get tons of results for "cannot have kids". This is not entirely the developers' fault, though they could validate and enforce some aspects of the data coming in.
The other problem is just that there really is not much development gone into this site. Why not have the descriptions indexed for searching by key phrases? Why not put a posted date on each listing?
This site could be amazing and much more helpful to animals if it had more work put in. I don't know if it's a funding thing or what.

jackj55
5/14/15

I made a dawag now its goon

deliciac1
5/4/15

My husband returned from deployment and wanted a dog. I sent an email expressing interest in meeting one of their dogs up for adoption and possibly adopting him via email. I wanted to bring my husband there and surprise him by letting him met the dog, along with our other dog. I left my information requesting to be contacted. Collette wrote back and said " We don't do surprises, that said all adoptions start with an application." I was shocked by the response. I wrote back advising we'd already adopted a dog and requested not to be on their email list.(because I "don't do rude people") Collette writes back and I was shocked at how disrespectful she was. She wrote, and I quote, " Congratulations on your new pet!!!! Hopefully it doesn't get returned when the "surprise" wears off." I was absolutely floored that an Executive Director would be so unprofessional and display such an ill demeanor. I will not speak against anyone adopting from Miami Valley Pit Crew because I have been a pit mom for the last 10 years and love the breed. However, I WOULD say prepare yourself for an unprofessional and unpleasant experience. I have adopted many pets and have worked in the Veterinary Field for 9 years. I have helped place many pets in loving homes. I can not believe someone with this demeanor would treat those who are trying to help save lives of pitbulls this way. AND TO TOP IT ALL their mission is
"Encouraging change through positive example". Are...you...kidding me?!!!! Each year I donate to pit bull rescue groups. I will NOT give a dime to this organization as long as Collette Davis is the Executive Director. I shared this story with my co-workers and they've agreed to do the same and spread the word. Go elsewhere if you're looking for a " Positive Example". I have attached a picture of the email sent to me for your own eyes to view.

4 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Petfinder staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question