Review of PetFinder

Checkerboard Square
St. Louis, MO 63164

donnab232
11/16/17

This is a dangerous site just like Craigslist for animals it's not for the safety or return of animals it's for sadists animals toturers and it gives them all the info they need address description phone number there is no security check it's popular oh no trash dump next door because the abusers can say oh I'm so sorry Fido is lost I'll help you and the butt nuggets who think they are so powerful oh no next door happily give out all info without a blink needs to be shut down

mannyd5
11/11/17

Twice have I applied for a dog. The first time I went through the application process & waited a week before they told me another family was chosen. He was removed from petfinder so I believed it. So I kept browsing on petfinder for more dogs & week later that same dog was available again, so I applied again & never got a response.. After that I applied for another dog, got an email with the application, here we are a week later & I still have heard nothing from the first or the second dog. If I wasnt chosen the least they could do is give me a heads up!!!

edm548
10/27/17

Fill out an application to adopt and wait. Twice. Mean while, please send donations. Yeah right.
Never received any response to either adoption.
Spread the word. Crooks.

laurab284
9/21/17

PetFinder was the instrument that matched me to my dream dog. My puppy came from Serendipity Kennels. Julie was very efficient. All details (health check, shots) were taken care of as was all proper paperwork. She went the extra mile, literally, to bridge the distance and help me get my new puppy in a safe and cost conscious way. I'm very pleased.

angelm101
9/19/17

My dog ran away. The very next day, she was up for adoption at a local shelter, but they claimed that she was already adopted, and they posted her as adopted on petfinder. But I found out after that, that they actually sent her to a high kill shelter, who promptly killed her. I told petfinder about this, and they don't give a s**. If that happened to my dog, it can happen to anyone. And the original shelter who had her killed? They DEMANDED that I pay them $50, which I refused of course! Adopt from your local private citizens or from a reputable shelter, but seriously steer clear of petfinder!!

carrollc12
9/3/17

I recently purchased a dog on perfinder from the shelter known as " Gone to the Dogs" for a dog named Alex. My experience with the seller was absolutely horrible. Everything she posted on the website was a complete lie. Alex was no where near the age Strother put on the website and he also came with A LOT of medical needs that were not know at the time of adoption. When informing the shelter owner strother she was very standoffish and was also trying to get me to keep the dog when I financially could not afford it. Had I'd known of the medical needs Alex would have needed prior to meeting him I would have never adopted him just to return him. My experience with strother and " Gone to the Dogs" was absolutely horrible and I would never recommend anyone to her.I also find it very odd that on petfinder Alex was listed as being sheltered by "Gone to the Dogs" rescue but was then informed by strother that he was being kept at the Charles city pound.The website on "Gone to the Dogs" mentioned that all dogs are healthy heart worm negative and fixed. Upon meeting and adopting Alex none of those things were true. Again had I'd know prior to meeting Alex if I would have been informed of the CORRECT information he would not have been adopted. It's very hard to say no to a dog meeting him and wanting him to be out of a shelter so badly. After returning Alex strother then when online and decided it would be a good idea to kind of bash me for returning him. Strother did mention she runs a no kill shelter and also mentioned she has funds that would help Alex. If she has funds why would she get him taken care of properly? When on petfinder please make sure you find out all info about the animal you want to adopted before meeting them so you won't have a horrible experience like I did.

johng499
8/4/17

So if your told a certain animal is available and to fill out an application in good faith not taking into consideration that there maybe as many as 20-50 other people interested in the same animal spending the same $15.00 non-refundable application fee makes for a pretty good profit on there side just to advertise the animal and keep the applications coming. This is just my opinion but the chances of getting the animal you want are slim at best. I believe if you don't get the animal you applied for or one you agree on you should get your money back since I believe they are using this cost to fund there operation so why not keep the application flowing.

joseg110
7/20/17

I tried getting my foster kittens on their website to get them to forever homes. They make you jump through hoops just to qualify to get on their website. We found these kittens on the roadside in near death condition. We paid for their vet care out of pocket, and got them nursed to perfect health after several hundred dollars of vet care.

We hoped to get them adopted, but Petfinder insists on letterhead vet reference letters which our vet doesn't have. Our Google adoption application form just wouldn't suffice for Petfinder. They add layers of onerous requirements that make it impossible to work with them.

Obviously they aren't in the business of finding forever homes. They're just another lousy "non-profit " that doesn't function to help foster pets. I'll stand in front of Petsmart instead.

pegm6
6/11/17

Very bad service. I set up an appointment on Wednesday to see the dog Leon. The contact person told me to meet her there on Sunday between 11-3. I came but she was not there. The pet store I was to meet her at said that she comes on Saturdays. Her text to me definitely stated Sunday. I can't believe what she did and that she doesn't even know who LEON is or if he had been adopted by someone else. I looked for a dog for 2 months on there site before I picked Leon.
Also, this contact person takes too long to respond. Don't use them if you happen to fall in love with one of their pets. You may never get to see them, let alone adopt them.

kathym169
6/8/17

I volunteer with a dog rescue that wanted to list available dogs on Petfinder. Petfinder would not accept our rescue because we were quite candid in saying that puppies born locally in NJ are adopted before bring spayed/neutered with the contractual obligation to spay/neuter along with details about the NJ Low Cost Spay/Neuter Program. The dozen or so vets we use do not condone pediatric spay/neuter. Petfinder said they would find us vets that would and unless we used them, we were not eligible to use Petfinder.

josephf86
6/1/17

PetFinder is a website that presents all the different pet rescue organizations and animal shelters in one searchable database with filter functionality and standardized webpages. Dallas alone pops up with 81 different pet rescue organizations so pulling them together in a standardized format seems a huge service. The problem is not with petfinder rather the member organizations. I got a bad feeling that started after several attempts to inquire anything as simple as if a certain dog was considered dog friendly or like, an estimation of how long the animal had been a foster pet. I rarely ever receive a reply when requesting more info, maybe 2 out of fifteen. Normally I'd just find the pet adopted out the next day. Maybe that's a good thing and all the stray pets are finding homes. There is something strange going on with the rescue groups. I'm thinking it involves money and a lack of real human altruism for saving animals in pursuit of it.

kimberlyb96
5/16/17

Talk to an agency about a kitten and the next thing i had to adopt 2 kittens. She wanted me to get a 1 to 2 yr cat not a kitten. Plus get it at an agency near me. I didn't think it made a difference where one could adopt. Petfinder is not the one. I been going through a lot of bologna woth these pet agencies.

hollys83
5/5/17

When looking through Petfinder ads, all you see is Puppy mill suppliers, its an utter shame that Petfinder.com stoops this low to make money, everyone should avoid using Petfinder.com to find a pup in need.

roseannt2
4/26/17

The rescue they connected me with was only responsive once. Picture yourself looking for a pet to replace a lost one and only to fall in love with a certain animal and then be left drifting by a rescue service that will not answer your e-mails and posts no phone numbers but says they want $450 for their animal. Poor dog.... poor pet lover.... poor service.... do not use this sight

chrisc333
4/5/17

We adopted a small dog from Peanuts Place last Fall. We live in a community that requires black aluminum fences. Within minutes of bringing home our dog, who was feral - she ran through the fence and was gone for 11 days. We searched every day, posted signs and put on social media. Eventually we got her back. But she was terrified of people, particularly children, and we have 3. She would hide behind the couch for hours. After months, we realized that things were not improving and gave her back to Peanuts Place. At the time, we were verbally promised that we would receive a refund. Although we realized that if we could secure a replacement dog from Peanuts Place, it would not be necessary, so we did not ask Colleen for a refund. We just trusted she would do the right thing. Last week we looked at 2 dogs from Colleen. But when we brought them to our home to meet our dog, who was as sweet as can be - one dog was hostile to our dog and the other nipped at our daughter. We kept looking and we found a sweet girl to adopt from another agency. When we contacted Colleen to get our refund, she told us that she never made that promise and only offered a replacement dog. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS AGENCY. COLLEEN DOES NOT DO THE PROPER SCREENING AND WAS DISHONEST WITH US. I hope this helps other looking for pets.

jacks549
3/23/17

I have owned several dogs over the years. You would think you were adopting a child with the kind of scrutiny they put you thru. I am done using this service!!! Petfinder is awful!!!

trevonj
3/17/17

They were rude and did not answer any questions i asked about a samoyed pup, they responded back in a sassy and rude way!! definitely would not recommend this piece of $#*! agency..how can you call yourselves a adoption agency with you responding like that, the $#*!k

marieg46
3/1/17

Waste of time using this site. It took 3 emails to get a response from the rescue responsible. The response was a very unprofessional call. After printing and returning the adoption application as instructed I still didn't get any response 3 weeks later. Tried to email Petfinders to complain and when I hit submit it does nothing. How can they honestly be trying to home these animals like this. Horrible, unprofessional, and total waste of time. Feel so sorry for the poor fur babies waiting for homes.

cherylm132
2/28/17

My 501c3 rescue has filled out their online registration, emailed the initial requested documents, sent in other info they requested...now we have not heard back from them. This has been going on for 2 months. If they aren't going to approve us to have an account so we can post our adoptable dogs...they could at least have the courtesy to email us and tell us that.

jerremys
2/23/17

What is the point of asking for a city, zip code, and maximum distance from home to search when all of their animals are 'being fostered' in Texas or China? Many ads even state that animals will not be shipped to your state until 'pre-adopted'. Who adopts a dog without even getting to be in the same state with it first? ($695 transport fee) It's a sadly impersonal and disingenuous way to import dogs from Taiwan, based on nothing more than a photo.

susanf125
2/20/17

Does anyone have a phone number and/or an email address for someone at Petfinder who can help us secure an account? Our shelter has been trying for more than 18 months to sign up and all we have for our efforts is a long email thread (to a general "info@" address) asking for more documents (501(c)3 registration, etc.). We don't know what the problem is with our registration and now they've stopped responding to our emails. Very frustrating to say the least

karolinam5
2/16/17

don't even bother looking at their website, they have nothing to do with the pets listed there. If you need a help they can't do nothing, they will just apologize for that. They just host the website for local shelters but have no access or not in contact with these locations. Very disappointing and frustrating. Process of adopting a dog very difficult there.

waltr1
2/15/17

Sites like PetFinder.com are more like Craigslist for pet adoption than anything else. You are not adopting from the site, you are adopting from the advertiser. They just provide marketplace to find and to communicate with the pet advertiser. It's obvious that many people reviewing the site do not realize that, since the fail to identify the name of the organization(s) they are actually complaining about.

Both PetFinder and Adopt-A-Pet supposedly vette the organizations that advertise on the site, but their standards are not transparent and there are a lot of bad actors and wackos to be found. The only mechanism either provides for complaining about an organization is via email and that information is way too hard to find. This lets a lot of bad actors and wackadoodles stay in business and make pet adoption far more frustrating than it should be.

PetFinder (and all the pet adoptions sites) really need to provided a rating and review system like eBay, This would quickly identify the organizations to avoid and save people heartache and frustration.

They should also require a link to the adoption requirements and applications on the site.

If they were to do these two things, I believe the majority of the complaints posted here would have been avoided.

They should also require updating listings that a pet has been adopted within 24 hours of that occurring. I found some that had been adopted the previous week.

Tip for consumers: Read the listings carefully. As often as not, they list different contact information than the Ask about "coco" button will use. If they say send and email to Lisa@savethisdog.org, send an email to Lisa. Chances are, Lisa is the foster.

They will often tell you in the listing, that they require an application first and other restrictions on adoption in the listing. I've learned to move on when I see a listing with "No exceptions" rules posted. Every adoption is "Exceptional"

helenr64
11/15/16

1st adaption experience. Works perfect. Good match. Really happy to celebrate Thanksgiving with new family Member "MISS ALABAMA" baby Bella B lab mix
Thank you for superior service provided!

Tip for consumers: Please help any pickup cat or dog to provide love & support. After you pick up this is SPACE to save one more life.

annaj58
10/17/16

Spent weeks looking for the right dog. Found one. Asked about him in an email. Then filled out the looong adoption app only to have it forwarded to a rescue in my state. I offered to pay to come meet the dog and bring him home. Nope. If that's one of the rules of that shelter it should be the first thing you read on their homepage so you don't waste your time. Furthermore, they are ridiculously crazy questions in the adoption app. If they can call a vet that you've used for more than 15 years and he confirms that you are a responsible pet owner, that should be enough. Good grief I know they have to be thorough but this is crazy. They beg you to "adopt not shop" then turn you down. Also, PetFinder should have a standard adoption app so you're not filling out one for each shelter because God only knows who is getting all you personal information! PISSED (can you tell?)

i don't know much about them at all, since I live in Wyoming. They were willing to work with me though. That's all I can say about them. Good luck

By Kimberly G.

Questions? Get answers from the PetFinder staff and other customers.

7 Photos for PetFinder