Review of PetFinder

Tel: +1 212-876-7700
pets@petfinder.com

anthonyc394
2/15/19

I wasn't trying to adopt a child but the way I was treated was terrible. I have a good home and love dogs but I never had my 2 female house gigs nudered so I was told I could not adopt the dog. I offered to get it done first thing Monday and she said not they needed someone right now. If they are so interested in finding a dog a good home then why could they not wait until Monday? I feel so sorry for these poor animals. These people are nuts and I will never try to adopt again. I will just buy one. As far as ratings I would give zero!!!

elizabethl317
2/6/19

DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT go through this site to try and give an animal in need a forever home- the people who you have to go through to get to said animal will NOT let you adopt! It's as simple as that. I inquired about a kitten last week 2/3/19 and was asked to fill out an application. So i did that and fairly quickly and sent it back to them. The contact told me that she and somebody else involved could not figure out how to open it- such a time waster, so i suggested i just come to the pet store where the little kitten was being held and fill out the paper form. no problem, so i went there the next day, Saturday, held and bonded with this kitten and as the "volunteer" there commented more than a few times how much the kitten loved being held by me, she also stated that i'd for sure be approved, that i'd hear back no later than Monday. I filled out the paper application and informed the volunteer there that the REST of the information needed is on the application i filled out online and emailed, this would include the THREE references and more time consuming questions- you'd think you're opting to adopt a child! it's ridiculous. Anyway, I get an email back saying that they "never received the application" and DENIED and dismissed me! FACTS: i filled out ALL of the questions on the application and submitted it. FACT: they didn't know how to open it and so decided to deny me, that the "board" decided to reject my submission. How terribly, terribly unfair and disheartening. I feel worse for the kitten. He would have had a forever home with me but because he's under the "Care" of people who cant open a simply google document, he's stuck in a cage! Please pass this feedback on to anyone seemingly getting their heart set on an animal up for adoption through here- very bad service!!

stephenb411
1/26/19

We have filled out 3 applications and tried to find out about 3 different dogs. The only response we have gotten is petfinder asking if we adopted that specific animal yet. Apparently they do nothing with your application. No wait, I do get email from Purina now. Other then that, I recommend you go to the shelter site themselves. But honestly they are not much better. We have been trying to see dogs for weeks. But we will not give up, we love dogs.

simonep25
1/21/19

I contacted Petfinder to meet a dog that was listed. I never got a reply, but the dog's profile was deleted the next day. A little while later we adopted a puppy from a local rescue. That was 2 months ago and our puppy is still listed on petfinder. Looking at old information is not helpful.

jameak
1/20/19

I put application in to meet a dog. Response from petfinder. Called your vet and you have not purcshed heart worm since. 2017. Yes that is true my dog was eaderly and passed away beginning of 2018. Plus I purchase a lot on line. Petfinder only looking to judge! Never once talked to me visited me. Let me visit the dog. POOR! POOR! Process! Will never use them again. It is about the animal the best place for the animal. NO Way they can accomplish that with emails only! Bad experience! Feel sorry for the animals they are placing in such a poor process!

tomm651
1/19/19

Sent multiple emails and even text messages but no one answered. A week later I received an automatic email asking me if I've adopted a pet. Not sure how this company is in business or what their real motive is.

janeb323
1/7/19

A recent inquiry regarding the very recent placement of a pet illustrated quite clearly the priorities of Tualatin Petfinder: $$$

Context: The pet in question resided with a family member within our home for an extended period of time, until our relocation across the country produced a separation. Unfortunately, our family member recognized an impending struggle to meet the pets needs and returned the pet to petfinder without asking us for support due to cross-country relocation. Upon learning about the pet's re-placement with Petfinder (shudder) I inquired the NEXT day about adoption as my significant other is in Portland on business (regularly), but we would gladly fly her to our new home where her step-fur-brothers have 3/4 of a fenced acre to chase balls and squirrels.

Petfinder's response verbatim, "we don't place pets outside of a 3.5 hr radius."

Radius versus familiar home.

Best interest of a very timid pet? No. Another $295.00fee after life in a shelter? Yes.

nicolleb5
12/16/18

We had been looking for a specific breed for a long time, a golden doodle or a labradoodle. We found a little puppy girl at 3 months that was on PetFinder. We "signed up" to even be noticed by the people who had the puppy, but at no cost. This was unusual because sometimes it costs even twenty dollars to submit your email, name, etc to look for a labradoodle or a golden doodle. So at no charge we submitted our contact information and got an email back. Every email we received back from this "women" not sure if it even was a women, was short with no details at all. A sentence or two at the longest. Extremely vague and didn't seem too concerned about the puppy, or us. So the first week we were told we could come Wednesday, (we are also two and a half hours away from this dog). Then at the VERY last minute, we were told we couldn't come due to a "family emergency". They then said we could come Friday. Friday comes and my parents even one in town, hoping they could drive with us to get our new friend. Late Thursday night we receive an email that says "family matters have turned even worse". So they say "it will have to be Monday". Sunday comes and there's no email about what time to come, where to go, nothing. Monday comes and still no email back, then Tuesday, then Wednesday, then Thursday, and it's still the same. We emailed everyday about this puppy and never heard a single thing back. HOW RUDE??? Who does this. The whole thing was just sketchy and they didn't seem concerned at all about the family that was PLANNING on purchasing the puppy. Don't trust this site. I've read many reviews just like this one. Who knows if the puppies and kittens are even there, and if they are, who's taking care? Who was taking care of this puppy while the lady was out of town due to a family emergency? We will never know. Just hope the poor dog is in good hands now and is with a loving family. (Btw, I hope someone from Petfinder reads this.)

peterd310
12/15/18

I thought it would be great to adopt a dog from a foster? I really like to get a dog but I will have to go to a breeder because adopting through pet finder or adopt a pet is not going to work. Do fosters get payed because I don't think they want the dogs to get adopted. I hope I am wrong but I am going to buy a puppy from a breeder.

lindaw551
12/10/18

I have applied for 4 different dogs in the last months, all you get is ohhh we see this dog in your future...well I don't know where their looking but I still don't have a dog...I am just an older woman who wants a dog to love...he's not gonna be a mule for drugs, or be into dog fighting, I am not gonna starve him, beat him or set him on fire...I want to give him a home...with love....petfinder is a joke. Sorry...no, not sorry

maryk570
12/9/18

Petfinder app used to be fast and efficient. It is laborious to use now. I help people find pets and I do not refer them to apetfinder anymore.

lianar5
12/3/18

I would give High Springs animal unit a million stars if I could! I adopt dogs from different rescues across the state and stumbled upon this rescue...I was looking for another yorkie and I found this rescue on allpaws.com. I contacted them and they were very friendly abd knowledgeable, they answered all my questions. They allowed me to come to the shelter and check out all of the adorable pups available for adoption. I was given permission to take the dogs out of the kennels and play with them. I chose to adopt Cinderella the Shih Tzu because I heard her background story and it broke my heart. She's been through so much and I knew that she deserves to be loved and I could give her that. More than a month after adopting her, she's doing good and I fall more in love with her each and every day I have her! My other dog's adore her! She was shy at first but has warmed up well, Cinderella is sweet and well behaved. I wanted a Yorkie but she's the best thing that's happened to me all year! I couldn't be happier. I would highly recommend this shelter. It's a shame that allpaws no longer has a website and this shelter doesn't get enough attention but they should because they are awesome! Please adopt from this rescue, you won't be disappointed. I plan on adopting gabby next, she is s Yorkie.

lanitas
11/30/18

Scheduled meet and greet with a cat with a foster home. The contact person disappeared with no apology or explanation. No accountability or even some manners. Will go to the shelter sites directly next time or better thru a referral. There are some weird cases out there.

amys532
10/30/18

Quite a few times over the past years I have inquired about quite a few cat's... They say that the cats were in foster homes but no one ever gets back to me... But then Petfinder keeps getting back to me asking if I'm adopted that cat... Unbelievable.. that's why I go to shelters

sarahs675
10/24/18

Looking for a breeder. What a rude ignorant a$$. These poor dogs are never going to get forever homes at this rate. Didn't want to purchase a dog, but I am given no choice. This place is horrible.

kennethr123
9/26/18

You can sent in a request to adopt a dog, but the service is slow. It should not be so hard to adopt a dog.

catherinem221
9/25/18

I have owned dogs and cats my whole life. I was just screamed at over the phone by one of the representatives of this agency. Her phone number is 313-645-4399. She fought with me over text message about my not giving my dog heartworm medicine, when he had an allergic reaction previously. After numerous uneducated jabs over text
messaging she then accused me over the phone of buying drugs and alcohol instead of heartworm medicine! This is crazy!!! Do NOT rely on them for getting your dog adopted.

maryleeb3
9/17/18

I was interested in a kitten to adopt.
I completed my paperwork and no one ever contacted me I kept emailing and calling and they told me there was a lot of interest in this particular. That was over 1 month ago. I went back on Petfinder today only to see the same kitten is still there for adoption.
I have great references even from my veterinarian so I don't know what their problem is. They prefer you rescue instead of purchase your pet but they don't do much to follow through.
I even left a voicemail message with Lost Paws who is fostering this kitten.
Still waiting.

nikt14
9/5/18

I don't blame the website but then again I do. They need to work better at the credibility of their users. No one gets back to you and it's extremely difficult to adopt from this website. Also some shelter locations are wrong or missing. They claim to want adoptions but in reality probably have foster parents ignoring inquiries because they want to keep the pets for themselves. They don't respond to you when you show interest or even let you know they received it. Unprofessional people.

caitlyns13
8/30/18

I lost my baby two months ago exactly, and it has been super hard on me. I didn't know it until she passed how much I relied on her for emotional support sometimes from the issues I have. That being said I want to adopt a new dog soon so I have been going to local shelters and looking on Petfinder.

Pros

It helps show you all the available dogs (and cats, etc.) near you
Easy to navigate and filter to what you are looking for
Gives backgrounds on the animals
Explains if the animals would be good around other animals/children

Cons

It is almost impossible to meet every single criteria they want
If you do make the criteria, the dog is probably already adopted, in the process, or on hold.
Some of them seem like scams - as I have seen the same dog photo on a few different listings with the same name
The range is small on a lot of them which is difficult when you live in the middle of nowhere.

vanessah95
8/23/18

The website doesn't ever work and after hours of trying to get it to work when it finally does, nobody will ever contact you back. Poor animals deserve a better website!

dionnea3
7/30/18

I originally started out searching for breeders for a yorkie and saw so many comments encouraging to adopt instead. So I decided to help out and adopt but what a nightmare it has been, I meet all the requirements of adoption. Fenced backyard, dog friendly neighborhood, dog parks nearby, experience with the yorkie breed, no one in my household under 13, single family home, etc. and still have been denied, told dog has been adopted, or received no response at all!! No wonder there are so many pets for adoption. They are not helping them get adopted!! I will go back to searching for a breeder!! Thanks but no thanks!!!!

dougf75
7/27/18

Can't have a doggie door! Can't have an invincible fence! These folks do more damage to rescuing dogs than good. They are going to force people to have to go to breeders. It's asinine.

janetr189
7/19/18

I realize that foster parents and rescue places want to find the best homes for their animals, but I totally lost all faith in humanity today when we were turned down for kittens (and advised that we need an older animal by someone who has no clue what theyre talking about). During the phone conversation with the foster parent of two kittens, I shared that our cat who passed a month ago was a calming force for my 12 year old son whos on the autism spectrum. We loved Tux like there was no tomorrow and were heartbroken when we had to say goodbye due to a urinary blockage that couldnt be repaired (his second in a few months even with special food and meds). My response to her email informing me that wed be better suited with an older cat is below. I wont name the place as I dont want to hinder pets having a safe place to be until they find their forever home. But, if youre making decisions, please dont be a jerk. You dont know my family and our needs. I do.

As the mom of a twelve year old child with special needs, I am the best judge of what my son needs and doesnt need. If I didnt feel like he (and our family) could handle a kitten (or two), I wouldnt even remotely entertain the idea. Weve spent the last three days looking which should tell you its not a rash decision.

Were experienced pet owners and former owners of a farm in Union County with horses rescued off the racetrack, unwanted goats, etc.

Im actually incredibly offended that you came to the conclusion that my son needs a calm animal that will sit with him thinking you know best. You dont and I feel youre being discriminatory with your decision. What you dont know about my son (but were quick to judge based on a very limited conversation) is that hes incredibly active and would not be interested in an older cat thats already set in its ways who would be less likely to bond with him. He wants a cat that can grow up with him (like our other pets). But, taking into account the fact that you never even considered allowing us to meet the kittens, you wouldnt know that.

You should probably rethink your communication to families with special needs. We face plenty of discrimination, unfair judgement, snide comments and looks daily and have to fight for things others take for granted like education, inclusion, healthcare...even something as simple as getting a kitten. Its exhausting, disheartening and infuriating at times.

We will continue looking and visiting shelters and will find the right pet for our family. I can promise you this, though...you wont find a better family for your animals than ours.

Best of luck to you.

nathang70
7/16/18

Looking to bring a dog into the family. We were guilted into the adoption of stray and rescue instead of buying from a breeder. Started to browse Petfinder. Problem is the search feature is lacking. Would be nice if it can filter out shelters/rescues that do not allow out of state adoptions. Also, there appears to be puppies mill masquerading as rescue. They have way too many puppies available and it seems every posting is a sob story. Does anyone know whether Petfinder screen these listers?

i don't know much about them at all, since I live in Wyoming. They were willing to work with me though. That's all I can say about them. Good luck

By Kimberly G.

Questions? Get answers from the PetFinder staff and other customers.

10 Photos for PetFinder