Review of PetFinder

Tel: +1 212-876-7700
pets@petfinder.com

anitaf58
7/14/19

My husband and I just happened to be scrolling through the site looking at beagle puppies. We breed AKC registered beagles I just wanted to look at other sites curiosity. As we were scrolling through their site unbeknownst us we found a
2 year old photo of one of our dogs from when he was a puppy posted by one of their "breeders" needless to say the photo had been stolen from my Facebook page and our 2 year old dog was being posted by a fraudulent breeder as being for sale as an 8 week old puppy. My husband and I have never done business with this particular site we only use AKC we just wanted to look and to our surprise we found a photo of our own dog being posted so I say buyer beware do not trust this site because they do not care about those of you looking for a furry family member to add all they care about is making money from their breeders and they will not look out for you as a buyer.

pamb323
6/18/19

First, Petfinder doesn't monitor those who post. When you complete and submit an application to adopt, most of the time you never hear from anyone - even after several attempts to reach them. Second, after submitting your application (and never hearing from anyone I might add), Petfinder keeps sending emails asking if you've adopted that particular animal. They give you several choices: No, Not Yet, Yes, etc. I haven't been able to reach Petfinder. It's not my application, home visit or vet reviews (they're excellent). We have decent jobs and are responsible adults well able to provide a safe/secure home for any pet. So why don't those who post respond? I know how folks feel about puppy mills and pet stores, but that's where we'll be getting our next pet. TIP: If you want to drive potential worthy adopters away, keep doing what you're doing! On the other hand if you want people to adopt the many, many pets featured on your website, then start taking responsibility for the lackadaisical way you run your business! I've heard people say it's too much trouble to rescue - they often add that rescues are stricter than going to the pet store! We have the best intentions when we visit sites like Petfinder and we have experience with special needs animals. Unfortunately, many fosters and those who post have their own agendas. Not a fan.

shannong150
6/13/19

Spent 5 hours looking for a dog that would suit us... young, child friendly etc... read the details and history of so many dogs.
Found a little guy who sounded perfect and sent an email with initial questions.
Never heard back.
No wonder so many pets are in need of adoption... admin narrative process is total $#*!e.
Guess we will go to a breeder. So much for trying to save a poor pup from having no home or family... you guys are awful.

susans1017
5/23/19

Adopting a pet through Petfinder is a very frustrating experience. No adoption organizations will respond to questions unless you submit an application to adopt the pet first. Even then, they will not respond to questions about the pet. I was contacted by one organization by phone, the purpose being to interview me to assess my acceptability to adopt the dog. The woman who interviewed me knew nothing about the dog (characteristics, where she was being fostered) and could not answer any of my questions. I was told that I would be the "perfect person" to adopt the pet and that I would soon be contacted for a home visit. The person who emailed to arrange the hoe visit also knew nothing about the specific pet. I had to wait a whole week for her to be able to do the home visit, but by then the dog was adopted by someone else. No one involved in assessing my fitness for adoption had ever met the dog, and yet they claimed that they aimed to find a mutually good fit between adopter and adoptee. The process is slow, biased, confusing, and apparently has nothing to really do with finding a good home for homeless animals.

alb143
5/14/19

I think all they want is your application fee. Nobody ever gets back to you.The one time they did. they didnt even answer the question I asked. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME.. Horrible people I feel sorry for the pets that end up with them....

brians770
5/6/19

The way this works (or doesn't) is sad. Very sad. No one gets back to you except the bot email asking "did you adopt fluffy?"
Hell no I didn't. He didn't exist. Then next month he popped up again. No wait. He was adopted. What? You never heard of him? Oh wait. There he is again. What in God's name goes on with this? Run forest......run.... buy a dog. It's easier and more humane. Go to a shelter. Do anything except waste time with what appears to be "puppy pumps".

erniev8
4/20/19

They are the reason more people don't adopt, clearly they don't want people to. After spending a long time searching, filling out applications, and emailing foster owners, I finally got a chance to meet some of the litters of puppies. I would drive for up to 3 hours to see them hoping to take one home, just to be told I have to fill out more applications. Never got a call or email like they promised me. I made sure I met every one of their ridiculous criteria and still nothing. I know they want the dogs to go to good homes, I grew up with dogs all my life. They use terrible "rescues" that make it impossible. No wonder so many people go to breeders.

yvonned67
4/17/19

No return calls or emails. Never was told anything until I got an email saying they would be at Mohawk Honda. Went there and found out I was denied, because i worked a full time job.

donh269
4/9/19

Spent over 3 months tying to adopt a dog,no follow up on your application, no humans to speak to just automated e-mail.all they are doing is slowing down the Process,and pissing people off,causing more dogs to be killed,in the name of helping animals,idiots! Won't get my money! $#*!s!

namew12
4/9/19

The website slow and you just give up.Hard to adopt a dog on here. Lol probably easier to adopt a human.Takes forever to get a response back. Then they play God on who can adopt. I am a responsible pet owner. Just because I buy my heartworm meds from Canada. I just quit on here. I just went to local shelters.

storif1
4/3/19

Ridiculous I also had an experience with Karen my daughter and I really wanted this dog repeatedly sent emails 5 days later she responds tells me he is on home visit check back next week I told her my frustration I really wanted this dog I feel like if she had responded quicker maybe it would be us adopting him she replied that she works 50plus hours and could always use help being sarcastic anyway it took her 3 minutes to respond to my complaint why 5 days to respond to an adoption?

kevinf334
3/26/19

Filled out multiple adoption applications with responses that only confused me, and we're not for the animal I had chosen. One of pet finders decision makers, Karen hasn't a live brain cell left in her head. Perhaps she just needs to have her anal glands expressed!

lesleys40
3/21/19

I have tried a few times now to adopt a cat not just from one place but a couple. No one wants to get back to you. Oh yah I get a elert daily of we have new dogs and new cats for you. But when you try to reach out NO ONE GETS BACK TO YOU. Its all a joke looks for another way to help.

shelbyl34
3/20/19

We adopted a dog through Petfinder who was fostered by a company called R & T Loving Paws. Apparently Petfinder uses very low-quality foster parents like R &T Loving Paws from Maryland who gouge adoptive parents for money with no explanation as to what the fee covers. They also could care less about the dogs; they are in the business of fostering dogs for money. The dogs often have worms and other behavioral issues and the foster parents take no responsibility for these even though they claim they are turning over a very healthy or trained pet. Even if you do a trial period with a dog and decide it won't work for you, some of the foster parents of these Petfinder dogs will even guilt you into taking the dogs with manipulative emotions. Keep in mind, When you find your dog through Petfinder They have no responsibility for the adoption stage once you find your pet.

judithf64
3/18/19

Instead of adopting through a private group I thought I would do the right thing and try adopting a shelter animal. The worst experience ever. After months of nothing but frustration, the only contact being an occasional email asking, "did you adopt Eyore yet"? Are you serious? Then seeing this poor guys face still up on their website asking for donations. What is really going on? That's my question.

jenniferg473
2/21/19

I'm just 67, and nobody will let me adopt a dog. So I'm going to go buy one from a breeder.
So much for doing the right thing.

evac65
2/19/19

Thank you that I have new best friend in my life. Now I'm not alone because my cat is always with me :)

anthonyc394
2/15/19

I wasn't trying to adopt a child but the way I was treated was terrible. I have a good home and love dogs but I never had my 2 female house gigs nudered so I was told I could not adopt the dog. I offered to get it done first thing Monday and she said not they needed someone right now. If they are so interested in finding a dog a good home then why could they not wait until Monday? I feel so sorry for these poor animals. These people are nuts and I will never try to adopt again. I will just buy one. As far as ratings I would give zero!!!

elizabethl317
2/6/19

DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT go through this site to try and give an animal in need a forever home- the people who you have to go through to get to said animal will NOT let you adopt! It's as simple as that. I inquired about a kitten last week 2/3/19 and was asked to fill out an application. So i did that and fairly quickly and sent it back to them. The contact told me that she and somebody else involved could not figure out how to open it- such a time waster, so i suggested i just come to the pet store where the little kitten was being held and fill out the paper form. no problem, so i went there the next day, Saturday, held and bonded with this kitten and as the "volunteer" there commented more than a few times how much the kitten loved being held by me, she also stated that i'd for sure be approved, that i'd hear back no later than Monday. I filled out the paper application and informed the volunteer there that the REST of the information needed is on the application i filled out online and emailed, this would include the THREE references and more time consuming questions- you'd think you're opting to adopt a child! it's ridiculous. Anyway, I get an email back saying that they "never received the application" and DENIED and dismissed me! FACTS: i filled out ALL of the questions on the application and submitted it. FACT: they didn't know how to open it and so decided to deny me, that the "board" decided to reject my submission. How terribly, terribly unfair and disheartening. I feel worse for the kitten. He would have had a forever home with me but because he's under the "Care" of people who cant open a simply google document, he's stuck in a cage! Please pass this feedback on to anyone seemingly getting their heart set on an animal up for adoption through here- very bad service!!

stephenb411
1/26/19

We have filled out 3 applications and tried to find out about 3 different dogs. The only response we have gotten is petfinder asking if we adopted that specific animal yet. Apparently they do nothing with your application. No wait, I do get email from Purina now. Other then that, I recommend you go to the shelter site themselves. But honestly they are not much better. We have been trying to see dogs for weeks. But we will not give up, we love dogs.

simonep25
1/21/19

I contacted Petfinder to meet a dog that was listed. I never got a reply, but the dog's profile was deleted the next day. A little while later we adopted a puppy from a local rescue. That was 2 months ago and our puppy is still listed on petfinder. Looking at old information is not helpful.

jameak
1/20/19

I put application in to meet a dog. Response from petfinder. Called your vet and you have not purcshed heart worm since. 2017. Yes that is true my dog was eaderly and passed away beginning of 2018. Plus I purchase a lot on line. Petfinder only looking to judge! Never once talked to me visited me. Let me visit the dog. POOR! POOR! Process! Will never use them again. It is about the animal the best place for the animal. NO Way they can accomplish that with emails only! Bad experience! Feel sorry for the animals they are placing in such a poor process!

tomm651
1/19/19

Sent multiple emails and even text messages but no one answered. A week later I received an automatic email asking me if I've adopted a pet. Not sure how this company is in business or what their real motive is.

janeb323
1/7/19

A recent inquiry regarding the very recent placement of a pet illustrated quite clearly the priorities of Tualatin Petfinder: $$$

Context: The pet in question resided with a family member within our home for an extended period of time, until our relocation across the country produced a separation. Unfortunately, our family member recognized an impending struggle to meet the pets needs and returned the pet to petfinder without asking us for support due to cross-country relocation. Upon learning about the pet's re-placement with Petfinder (shudder) I inquired the NEXT day about adoption as my significant other is in Portland on business (regularly), but we would gladly fly her to our new home where her step-fur-brothers have 3/4 of a fenced acre to chase balls and squirrels.

Petfinder's response verbatim, "we don't place pets outside of a 3.5 hr radius."

Radius versus familiar home.

Best interest of a very timid pet? No. Another $295.00fee after life in a shelter? Yes.

nicolleb5
12/16/18

We had been looking for a specific breed for a long time, a golden doodle or a labradoodle. We found a little puppy girl at 3 months that was on PetFinder. We "signed up" to even be noticed by the people who had the puppy, but at no cost. This was unusual because sometimes it costs even twenty dollars to submit your email, name, etc to look for a labradoodle or a golden doodle. So at no charge we submitted our contact information and got an email back. Every email we received back from this "women" not sure if it even was a women, was short with no details at all. A sentence or two at the longest. Extremely vague and didn't seem too concerned about the puppy, or us. So the first week we were told we could come Wednesday, (we are also two and a half hours away from this dog). Then at the VERY last minute, we were told we couldn't come due to a "family emergency". They then said we could come Friday. Friday comes and my parents even one in town, hoping they could drive with us to get our new friend. Late Thursday night we receive an email that says "family matters have turned even worse". So they say "it will have to be Monday". Sunday comes and there's no email about what time to come, where to go, nothing. Monday comes and still no email back, then Tuesday, then Wednesday, then Thursday, and it's still the same. We emailed everyday about this puppy and never heard a single thing back. HOW RUDE??? Who does this. The whole thing was just sketchy and they didn't seem concerned at all about the family that was PLANNING on purchasing the puppy. Don't trust this site. I've read many reviews just like this one. Who knows if the puppies and kittens are even there, and if they are, who's taking care? Who was taking care of this puppy while the lady was out of town due to a family emergency? We will never know. Just hope the poor dog is in good hands now and is with a loving family. (Btw, I hope someone from Petfinder reads this.)

i don't know much about them at all, since I live in Wyoming. They were willing to work with me though. That's all I can say about them. Good luck

By Kimberly G.

Questions? Get answers from the PetFinder staff and other customers.

11 Photos for PetFinder