Review of Spokeo

Tel: 1-877-913-3088
support@spokeo.com

larsh25
10/17/18

In order to research a renter I authorized Spokeo to charge $0.95 on my credit card. I stopped navigating their web pages when they asked for more money. A subsequent fraud alert from my bank turned out be due to the fact that Spokeo had started a yearly charge of $24.95 on my credit card.

meganr113
10/1/18

Used this site for a reverse search which provided me no information what so ever on the individual I was looking up. Not only that they charged .99 which ok no big deal. They didn't make clear that after so many days they rolled it to a monthly subscription that charges $19.95!! Imagine my surprise when I was billed by them yesterday! So I called customer service and got a run around first of the usual "you still have access for x number of days! But your account is cancelled". I reiterated I wanted a refund I didn't care to use their service again and that they weren't clear it was a subscription I was going to be billed for. To which they offered a partial refund of their shortest package but refused to do a refund still. I explained again I had no use for their service (since it didn't help at all any way) and they literally billed me yesterday so there's no reason for them not to refund. But no they won't budge on it and also the refund takes several days to process I should see it by 10/10. Funny how they can take the money so quick, refuse to return it all and then take ages to do some pitiful partial refund. Avoid their service at all costs it isn't actually helpful at all, they just want your money.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Megan,

Thank you for your comment on the SIteJabber.com site.

I’m sorry to hear Spokeo did not meet your search needs. Spokeo has access to over 1.2 billion records, collected and organized from many different sources. Some of our search results may include information that is not fully updated, but new information is added to our system every day.

In regards to your service, I understand your concerns, and I’m happy to clarify. When a Single Record Search with a 7-Day Free Trial is selected, the single record is accessible indefinitely, and the 7-day trial grants access to Universal (name, phone, address, and social) searches within the trial period. All Spokeo subscriptions automatically renew to prevent service interruption.

We want to be sure you are helped, so please contact our Customer Care team directly by calling 1-888-906-0850 and explain your concerns. We are available everyday from 5AM to 8PM PST. Thanks!
heatherr181
9/27/18

The accepted that they had information on a phone number I was trying to look up. So I paid for the report only to find they had nothing. I spoke to Lauren asking why they feel they need to fasle advertise about the information. I told her to cancel my account and they still my money a week later and refusing to refund it when I called the customer care.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Heather,

Thank you for you comment on SiteJabber.com.

I’m sorry to hear Spokeo did not meet your search needs. Spokeo’s free preview provides details on the kind of information we offer and the supported networks we search. When you see “Results May Include,” "Report Includes Available Information On," or "Discover on 100+ Networks,” this outlines the sorts of data we attempt to search. Spokeo has access to over 1.2 billion records, collected and organized from many different sources. New information is added to our system every day.

We want to be sure you are helped. If you have any further questions, please contact our Customer Care team at CustomerCare@spokeo.com or by calling 1-888-906-0850 and explain your concerns. Thanks!

Thanks,
Customer Care
christak14
9/14/18

I pay my credit card on-line and have paperless billing. I just happened to look at recent transactions this month and noticed Spokeo has been charging me, not once, but TWICE a month for at least a year and half. One time for $9.97 and a few days later for $19.97. EVERY MONTH!!!! I never agreed to this subscription or agreement or whatever it is and have never used it.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Hi! We're sorry to hear about this. It sounds like there is an active subscription on your account. We want to be sure you are helped, so please contact our Customer Care team at CustomerCare@spokeo.com or by calling 1-888-906-0850 and explain your concerns. Thanks!
florencez3
8/14/18

Spokeo has been said to be helpful to all my daily activities, deep web searches and background checks. I have used their service countless times and they didnt deliver most of the information i needed. The only thing i worry about most times is that Spokeo might not be as deep as it seems, all they provide access to is public information mostly. When i needed a very deep web search and surveillance service i used rootgatehacks^tutanota^com you can mail them. They provide the best in monitoring, cooperate espionage, online forensics and many more. They are guaranteed to get your job done.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Florence,

Thank you for you comment on SiteJabber.com.

I’m sorry to hear Spokeo did not meet your search needs. Spokeo has access to over 1.2 billion records, collected and organized from many different sources. Please note, Spokeo specializes in collecting information from phone books, social networks, marketing lists, business sites, and other PUBLIC sources. Some of our search results may include information that is not fully updated, but new information is added to our system every day.

Thanks,

Customer Care
bend165
8/6/18
• Updated review

Well, after my bank did a bit of investigating into the dispute I filed with them in regards to the charge on my debit card from spokeo. I was able to get it overturned and my account was credited within a few days:)
Shame on you SPOKEO!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Ben

I’m sorry to hear Spokeo did not meet your needs. Please note that all services renew automatically to prevent service interruption. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Care team at CustomerCare@spokeo.com or by calling 1-888-906-0850.

“Ripoff!”
8/6/18
• Previous review

Called customer service explaining to them that I had cancelled the 7 day trial for .95 cents on the 7th day, but was unable to do so. Tried cancelling again this morning and still was unable to cancel. Finally I called customer service explaining to them what was happening. They finally cancelled the account, but I wasn't refunded the full 19.95. I was only refunded 8.00 dollars back to my credit card.
Even after I explained to them that I had cancelled it prior to it being charged the full 19.95 monthly fee. Disappointed with customer service and the services provided by this company.
Stay away from this site!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Ben,

Thank you for your comment. We want to make sure that you are helped, so please contact our Customer Care team at CustomerCare@spokeo.com or by calling 1-888-906-0850 and explaining your concerns.

Thanks!
crystald88
8/2/18

THEY TRICK YOU INTO THE SEARCH THEN START CHARCHING IF YOU DONT NOTICE THE CHARGES THEY KEEP CHARGING EVERY MONTH WEATHER YOU USE THE SERVICE OR ARE UNAWARE THEY ARE CHARGING YOU FOR A SERVICE YOU USED ONE TIME AND NOW THEY CHARGE EVERY MONTH.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Crystal,

Thank you for your review of Spokeo on the SiteJabber.com site.

I’m sorry to hear Spokeo did not meet your needs. Basic results are available for free through the Spokeo people search. However, for more comprehensive, in-depth information, users are presented the option to sign up to our premium subscription. We’re sorry for any misunderstanding. Regarding your monthly renewing charges, it sounds like there is an active subscription on your account. Please note that all services renew automatically to prevent service interruption. We want to be sure you are helped, so please contact our Customer Care team at CustomerCare@spokeo.com or by calling 1-888-906-0850 and explain your concerns.

michaeld819
7/12/18

I HAVE CALLED OVER AND OVER.. THEY HAVE TAKEN OVER 6 MONTHS OF MOSTLY DOUBLE CHARGES PER MONTH.. IVE CALLED EMAILED CHATTED AND THEY SAY ITS FIXED AND NOTHING THEY TAKE MORE. SCAM

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Michael,

Thank you for your review of Spokeo on the SiteJabber.com site.

I’m sorry to hear Spokeo did not meet your needs. We want to make sure that your concerns are addressed and you are helped. Please contact our Customer Care Team by visiting https://www.spokeo.com/contact where we are available by email, live chat, and telephone, from 5AM to 8PM PST.

jennifert261
7/9/18

I thought I signed up for. 95 cents n it endedup costing me 500..they continued billing me n when I found out n told them to deactivate it they agreed yet the following month 50 more dollars deducted n overdraft fees etc.. For 95 cents I'm out 500 n not letting this go till I get my money back they stole from me

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Requester,

avaa10
7/4/18

You can imagine my shock when I got on and looked up someone who has been harrassing me only to find out he is using my address on Spokeo. I contacted them to remove my address but of course I have had no reponse. Fortunately, I found out before I paid them any money.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Ava,

Thank for your review of Spokeo on the SiteJabber.com site.

Spokeo takes your privacy concerns seriously, and we would be happy to assist you in removing the listing(s) concerned. To ensure that we do so correctly, please provide the URL(s) of the listing(s) you wish to have removed.

How to Obtain the URL:

The URL can be found in the address bar of your browser. Please be sure to locate the profile by narrowing down the city and state, right-clicking on the exact profile, and selecting "Copy link address" from the menu. The URL should look like one of the following examples:

Name listing: http://www.spokeo.com/John-Doe/State/City/p1234567890
Phone listing: http://www.spokeo.com/555-555-5555
Email listing: http://www.spokeo.com/social/profile?q=johndoe@email.com&loaded=1
Username listing: http://www.spokeo.com/social/profile?q=johndoe&loaded=1

You also have the option of removing Spokeo listings on your own:

1. Locate the listing you want removed, and right-click on the exact profile
2. Copy the URL by selecting "Copy link address" from the menu
3. Click on the Privacy link located at the bottom of our page, and click on the Opt-Out or navigate to http://www.spokeo.com/optout
4. Paste the URL
5. Provide your email address (this acts as verification for the confirmation of the removal to be sent to your inbox)
6. Type in the Captcha Code (type the code exactly as you see it)
7. Check your inbox for the confirmation email, and click on the link at the bottom to complete the removal process

If you have any further questions, please contact our Customer Care team at 1-888-906-0850, where we are available everyday from 5AM to 8PM PST, and explain your concerns.

Thanks!
dylanl23
6/19/18

Last night I was charged $20 for Spokeo without even knowing what it was, so now I'm locked out of my funds because of a service I've never heard of and never used.
Edit: now they claim I have an active subscription, how can I do that when I don't even have an account.
Edit 2: They tried to refund only half the amount when I was looking for a full refund of the crappy con service.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Dylan,

I understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this matter.

Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by performing a name, reverse email, reverse phone, or reverse address search. Searches can also be performed to obtain court records, historical records, or business information. Our database covers social networks, public records, marketing lists, and other sources to reveal demographic details, public profiles, and more. Our memberships provide exclusive content to subscribers, which is activated immediately after payment is processed. Payments for Spokeo services will appear on your billing statement as SPK*SPOKEO.

In regards to the charge that you referenced, it sounds like there is an active subscription on your account. We want to be sure you are helped, so please contact our Customer Care team at CustomerCare@spokeo.com or by calling 1-888-906-0850, where we are available from 5AM to 8PM PST everyday, and explain your concerns. Thanks!
blueb12
5/23/18

This site exists solely to acquire CC details via their "95 cent search" and then charge you forevermore at 20 bucks per month. Further, their "data" is massively outdated and incorrect.

I actually bypassed several other such sites due to their automatic subscription model, only to find the same thing buried in the fine print at the bottom of my email receipt for the original fruitless search I paid them for. If my bank hadn't flagged the monthly charge as suspected fraud (which it is) they would have gouged me for years.

Avoid these scammers like the plague, and report to your state AG.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Spokeo User,

I understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this matter. We’re so sorry to hear that you weren't able to find what you were looking for. Spokeo does not originate or create data, so our data reflects that of the original sources. Spokeo does not guarantee data accuracy, and the data should only be used as a reference. We are, however, constantly working to expand and improve the data available on on our site. Spokeo is a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Our subscriptions are set up to renew automatically so that those who use our services on a regular basis can do so without any interruption. Also, all information, including the type of subscription, exactly how much, and how often a person will be billed are clearly stated on our payment page. We also include this information in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use.

We also provide support to our customers 7 days a week from 5:00 AM to 8:00 PM Pacific Time either by email, or by contacting our Customer Care department via phone at 888-271-9562. Our Customer Care Representatives are more than happy to assist any of our customers with any questions or concerns they might have regarding Spokeo, our services, and our terms of use.

babarr1
4/25/18

I searched the site for an email address (Reverse email lookup). The results showed that the service has found something against the search term, however, I need to pay in order to get the results. As soon as I paid and rerun the search, there was nothing at all. I feel like tricked and victim to a scam/fraud. Moreover, FAQ at spokeo says that I can get refund if I am not satisfied. Its been 2 days now that I have dropped an email for the refund, no one has replied yet and I think I have lost my good money.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Barbar,

I understand your concern and wish to clarify. Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by Name, Reverse Email, Reverse Phone or Username. Our database covers a multitude of social networks, public records, marketing lists and more to reveal demographic details, public profiles, etc. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience.

gc85
3/30/18

Spokeo is one of the most deceitful companies I have ever had the displeasure of encountering. They offer a service that they know most people are only going to use once and forget about, hence why they'll sneak in subscription services to make money. In many cases you get signed up without even realizing it. "Spokeo Connections" doesn't even seem like it's a real thing and you cannot find one positive review of people who enjoy their Spokeo Connections Subscription. So far I've found that "InfoArmor" and "Privpro" are also some weird branches of Spokeo that were used in a similar fashion.

Most subscription services will email you at least once a week or to tell you about new features or things that you may like. A popular video game related subscription service sends me a very courteous "Thank you for your purchase" every time they charge for my subscription. They make it completely impossible to not know you have the service. Do you know why they do this? It's because they are a reputable company, not trying to hide and proud of their business. Spokeo doesn't email you anything except customer service surveys after you cancel and call over and over again about your "refund for only 1 year because that is all the system can do". They completely disappear from your life. What does that tell you about the company? They WANT you to not know you're signed up so that they get free money. There is no one in their right mind who would pay nearly $40 a month, for multiple years, for a Spokeo Subscription.

My rage for this company sparked me to do some research. I advise everyone else to do the same because you are in for a real shocker ladies and gentlemen. There is a much larger problem than Spokeo. Those of you who obtained a new debit/credit card or thought they wouldn't be able to charge an expired card will find this extra interesting. Most people assume that if the information on your card changes then a company shouldn't bill you until you update the information. This is wrong. Once Spokeo (or other companies) has your information they may be able to charge closed accounts, new cards or expired cards. Your bank doesn't care if Spokeo rips you off. Your creditor doesn't care if Spokeo rips you off. They will all actually happily GIVE out your new card# to Spokeo! They are all involved in a scheme together called Account Updaters. This Account Updater nonsense is disguised as a "convenience" feature for merchants to renew subscriptions without reaching out to their customers so they don't lose sales. What this really is an easy way for Spokeo (and companies like them) to make a lot of money from unsuspecting people and drain their accounts. I'm not sure if Spokeo uses any other private Account Updaters besides the ones from Visa & Mastercard.

You are automatically subscribed to these Updater Services any time you open a credit/debit card and your bank probably won't even tell you. They may even pretend like it doesn't exist. On a pdf document I've found from Visa they even urge merchants not to tell you about it. This is all for your "convenience", in case you lose your credit card. You don't need the hassle of reauthorizing a company to take your money, right? God forbid your service get interrupted while you wait for a replacement card. You may even start to think about why you use a service to begin with or catch something that wasn't supposed to be there when the company contacts you about updating your billing. The horror! This feature wasn't "convenient" for me at all when it came to Spokeo. Even with their pitiful refund I'm still out about $300. Without this wonderfully stupid Visa Account Updater creation that amount would have been significantly reduced.

My next mission is to find out if I can opt out of these Updater Services from the major credit card companies all together by directly calling my bank and creditors. I'm going to be sending them letters as well. I'll be sure to mention Spokeo as an example of how the system can be abused every time I write or call. Then after that I want to see if there are any ways to revoke a company's status from the big club if they blatantly abuse it. Spokeo has to pay for every card# the Updater Systems have to find and is a rather large client, so the chances of that are pretty slim. Your creditor or bank will most likely side with them. I am researching if I have a valid complaint to send to the FTC and if they would look into some of Spokeo's other secret "third party processors" and "updaters". I also want to see about if anything can be done about forcing more disclosure from the major credit card companies about this alleged "convenience feature" and the companies that use them. I am even going to cancel other well known Subscription Services that use these Visa/Mastercard/Amex Updaters just because I can no longer trust them after my experience with Spokeo.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Spokeo User,

I understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this matter. Spokeo is a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Our subscriptions are set up to renew automatically so that those who use our services on a regular basis can do so without any interruption. Also, all information, including the type of subscription, exactly how much, and how often a person will be billed are clearly stated on our payment page. We also include this information in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use.

laurat117
2/25/18

When they first started you could have your information deleted. I requested that and it was. I was surprised to find myself back on Spokeo this year with incredibly inaccurate information. They have apparently combined mine with some other person of the same name. I'm thinking of legal action if this crap is not removed.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Laura,
Please allow me to provide some information regarding Spokeo. Spokeo aggregates publicly available information from phone books, social networks, marketing surveys, real estate listings, business websites, and other public sources (“Public Information”). This Public Information may be made available to users through the Spokeo.com people search.

Once a specific profile is suppressed from public display in our system, it is flagged to not re-appear. However, we are constantly receiving new and updated information, and we try very hard to match it to existing listings in order to preserve your privacy preference. A new listing may appear, however, when the data is not able to be linked to a previously-suppressed profile. Should this happen, I ask that you contact Spokeo as soon as possible so we can assist in suppressing this new information.

Should you wish to remove your information from Spokeo you can do so any time by calling Customer Care at 888-906-0850, or by emailing Privacy@spokeo.com and providing the URL, or listings for removal.
Thank you.

susanf168
2/3/18

Be very cautious. I purchased a 7-day trial, with no results. Spokeo continued charging with no emails or notification. I would never use again.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Susan,
I understand your frustration, and would like to thank you for addressing your concerns. I'm happy to assist in resolving this issue. Please allow me to explain the charges associated with the specific subscription you selected. When you signed up you selected our Single Search with Premium Trial plan, which provided you with an initial $0.95 Single Record as well as additional free Premium access for 7 days. Unfortunately, because the trial was not cancelled within 7 days, a recurring subscription fee of $19.95 began to charge. Accounts of this type automatically renew if left active to prevent any service interruption. We try to make this very clear by detailing this on our payment page, including it in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. I do apologize again if this was unclear in any way.
patrickm220
2/1/18

Charge you monthly with no notification. Then they put up advertisements on the web advertising themselves as not a scam. They know they have a reputation for being deceitful and rather than changing their business practice, they choose to rip people off and then advertise how they don't rip people off. F'd up thinking!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Patrick,
I understand your concern, and would like to provide the following explanation. All information, including the type of subscription, exactly how much, and how often a person will be billed are clearly stated on our payment page. We also include this information in the disclaimer which must be agreed to before the purchase can be processed. In addition, this information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use.
We also provide 24/7 support to our customers either by email, or by contacting our Customer Care department via phone at 888-271-9562. Our Customer Care Representatives are more than happy to assist any of our customers with any questions or concerns they might have regarding Spokeo. Thank you.
michelleg211
1/29/18

they make you think you are going to actually get info from their service but you I got nothing! a location at city center which --duh--I can tell from the area code which city it is in. I got no name, address or ANYTHING!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Michelle,
We're sorry you feel this way, and wish to assist in resolving this matter. Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by Name, Reverse Email, Reverse Phone or Username. Our database covers a multitude of social networks, public records, marketing lists and more to reveal demographic details, public profiles, etc. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience.
colleenp28
1/24/18
• Updated review

Perhaps in my last review on Spokeo I didnt make it clear: Do not even sign up for a 99 cent search because once they have your financial information you are sucked in to never-ending charges without notification and hoops to jump through to get out. A Spokeo representative will try to defend or explain away such deceit but he cant explain away all the 1-star reviews calling Spokeo a SCAM! If so many people have had such a negative experience with Spokeo, including me, the problem is not with the reviewers, but with Spokeo itself.
The site is deceptive in their practices, period. Believe the negative reviews and dont fall for their hidden traps. It is a premier online scam!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Colleen,
Spokeo Customer Care
“DISHONEST SCAMMING SITERUN FROM SPOKEO!”
1/21/18
• Previous review

Do not give Spokeo any financial information! Nothing is free and they ultimately charge you monthly payments without notification of any sort once they get your credit card number. No notification of renewal nothing except a monthly charge that is pretty well impossible to cancel.
Be aware: They write their own positive reviews, so heed the 1-star reviews that dominate their review page. Dont get caught up in their web of deceit like I did.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Colleen,
I understand your concern, and wish to help in resolving this matter. Please allow me to explain regarding the Spokeo subscription process. In order for a Spokeo subscription to be created, a user must click on the "Sign Up" button or perform a search and click on the "Get Full Results" button. The user would then be required to enter in a full 16 digit credit or debit card number along with the card's matching security code, cardholder name, card expiration date, card billing zip code, and enter a valid email address that becomes the username associated with the account. Once this information has been entered, the Terms of Use agreement must be checked and agreed to and then the "Purchase" button must be hit. Once these actions are completed and the information is verified as valid and matching, the user must then fill out a brief survey and set an account password to begin using the subscription. Additionally, we provide detailed information regarding exactly how much, and how often a person will be billed on our payment page, as well as in the disclaimer which must be agreed to before the purchase can even be processed processed. This information is also included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions or concerns at 888-906-0850, or email customercare@spokeo.com.
susant162
12/20/17

I am posting another reviewer's review because it is the exact same thing that happen to me. The review is as follows:
Paid only for them to show me the same information they gave me to begin with. Which was nothing but location (which I knew).
Terrible service!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Susan,

Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by Name, Reverse Email, Reverse Phone or Username. Our database covers a multitude of social networks, public records, marketing lists and more to reveal demographic details, public profiles, etc. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850. We're happy to help.

dalem77
12/11/17

I asked them to send me a contract showing that I had signed up for a $19.95 subscription. I was told the only way to get this was on the site.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Dale,

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding and certainly wish to help resolve this matter. Accounts of the type to which you subscribed, automatically renew if left active to prevent any service interruption. We make this very clear by detailing this on our payment page, including it in the disclaimer which must be agreed to before the purchase can be processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. I do apologize again if this was unclear in any way.

charless230
12/10/17

I signed up for a one time $.95 charge including a 7 day trial. They hit my card 30 days later with an unauthorized charge for $9.85 for a "Spokeo All in One Bundle Search" followed 10 days later with an unauthorized $19.95 charge for a "Spokeo Connections subscription. You can't make this kind of bad stuff up!!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Charles,
I'm sorry for any misunderstanding and certainly wish to help resolve the issue. When you signed up you selected our Single Search with Premium Trial plan, which provided you with an initial $0.95 Single Record as well as additional free Premium access for 7 days. As long as the trial is cancelled within 7 days, the account does not continue. Because your trial was not disabled within 7 days, a recurring subscription fee began to charge. Accounts of this type automatically renew if left active to prevent any service interruption. We try to make this very clear by detailing this on our payment page, including it in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. I do apologize again if this was unclear in any way.
jamesr317
10/11/17

Horrible service, inaccurate service, cancelling accounts with legitimate inquiries, lack of search criteria, overpriced memberships, call in wait times too long and no interests in providing useful background checks for potential employers! What was the point in developing this website?

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear James,

We want to make sure that your experience with Spokeo Customer Care is a positive one. We would like to thank you for addressing your concerns, and are happy to assist in resolving this issue. We are a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Furthermore, our information comes from various sources located within the Public Domain such as public record data, surveys, and social data (that has not been deemed private). Spokeo makes this information more easily accessible for people to research themselves or others, and sometimes that information is not always up to date. Spokeo's terms of use states clearly that we are a search engine and do not create, maintain or modify the information you see. For this reason we can not guarantee it's accuracy. Also, the uses described in your complaint are in direct violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Spokeo is not a background reporting agency, and any use that violates "FCRA", such as determining eligibility for employment, credit, insurance, and anything else listed within the act is strictly prohibited. Accounts found in violation of this act are immediately terminated, and prevented from further use of Spokeo's products. Should you have any further questions or concerns we ask that you please contact us directly at 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. We are more than happy to help!

monicam111
10/1/17

They try to hook you in by making you wait a long time for the info, but then they don't suppl the info.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Monica,

renator1
9/19/17

If it wasn't for my wife who checked my credit card billing, I would have never know I was subscribed on Spokeo.
I have never used the account and what is very serious is that they never let you know when the renew your supposed membership.
Worse of all is they continue to charge the service even when credit card is expired, meaning that they don't ask you to update the information on their website....maybe because they hope you forgot about that? More important, is the correct behaviour from a company?

I sent yesterday an email to their customer services, after 24 hours I still haven't received any answer from them.

Renato R.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Renato,

We understand your concern and hope to assist in resolving this matter. Please allow me to explain, in order for a Spokeo subscription to be created, a user must click on the "Sign Up" button or perform a search and click on the "Get Full Results" button. The user would then be required to enter in a full 16 digit credit or debit card number along with the card's matching security code, cardholder name, card expiration date, card billing zip code, and enter a valid email address that becomes the username associated with the account. Once this information has been entered, the Terms of Use agreement must be checked and agreed to and then the "Purchase" button must be hit. Once these actions are completed and the information is verified as valid and matching, the user must then fill out a brief survey and set an account password to begin using the subscription. Additionally, we provide detailed information regarding exactly how much, and how often a person will be billed on our payment page, as well as in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. This information is also included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions or concerns.

Spokeo Customer Care

Watch for the $20 charge at the end of the month. They say a person is out, then the charge comes a month later. Had to cancel my card and get new # to keep them out of my wallet.

By Rich C.

inform your visa provider,they should stop the payments and get you a refund from when you cancelled the account.It worked for me as visa said they had numerous complaints about Spokeo.Hope you sort it out!

By frank b.

By Rich C.

Call them and cancel asap

By Erica k.

By Rich C.

I cancelled Spokeo service due to selling me misinformation or inaccurate information. I got this in writing from David at Spokeo. They are good about sending a letter about we are sorry about not meeting your expectations. Our terms of use states we can do this blah blah blah. After I cancelled this subscription and got this in writing from David, I got a new debit card from my bank. Spokeo found the NEW CARD and charged it. I took the problem to my bank and got a credit. Be very careful of these people, watch your bank statements.

By John H.

When you sign up for the special you are also signing up for a biz site. If you cancel Spokeo you must cancel both.

By Jim R.

Elias, query "spokeo lawsuits" on google. There have been numerous cases on this group. Spokeo..........if you are reading these complaints, I am wondering how you manage to get around the charge backs and still have a credit card company that works with you.

By John H.

Hello Darlene, I understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this matter. Please allow me to explain about Spokeo. We are a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Our information comes from various sources located within the Public Domain such as public record data, surveys, and social data (that has not been deemed private). Spokeo makes this information more easily accessible for people to research themselves or others, and sometimes that information is not always up to date. I sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding, and any inconvenience this experience has caused. Please feel free to contact me by phone at 888-906-0850, or via email at CustomerCare@spokeo.com should you have any further questions or concerns regarding this issue. All the best, Spokeo Customer Care

By Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative

Dear Frederick, Thank you for reaching out to us. For questions regarding your Spokeo Subscription, please contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. We are available 24/7 and happy to help with any questions or concerns you might have. Sincerely, Spokeo Customer Care

By Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Spokeo staff and other customers.

4 Photos for Spokeo