Spokeo

Spokeo has a consumer rating of 1.62 stars from 467 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Spokeo also ranks 56th among People Search sites. The most common issues with Spokeo are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• Give us your credit card # and $0.95 and do a search.
  • I did a reverse phone number lookup to find out who keeps calling me and not leaving a message.
How would you rate Spokeo?

“The service was good but beware of the monthly...”

Gilda K.
12/19/19

The service was good even though I didn't connect with the individual I was searching for. Just be aware that if you don't cancel you will be charged a monthly fee of 24.99 Luckily the customer care was very supportive and compassionate. The charge was removed. That made my day, A wonderful act of kindness!

“They know NOTHING”

Karen M.
7/16/19

First of all they charge you $.95 cents to use it for a couple of days but then if you want anything other than thier address or number you have to pay an additional $4.95 to open marriage or court records and then guess what they have NOTHING!!! And the sad part is it isn't just Spokeo.......it's every single one of them! Been Verified, People Finder, Truth Finders Ancestory.com all of them!! None of them had correct or updated information!!! Not even Equifax, Trans Union. NO ONE HAS ANY INFORMATION you don't already know!!! None of them had the correct information on anyone I pulled up my dad, mom, friends, husband! Starnge don't you think? No current phone, address,emails,siblings,children, marraiges nothing.. And then turn around and charge you $29.99 for the next month before your free trial is even over.

credit card (76) phone number (66) customer service (37) information (151) email address (24) 7 day trial (13) 3 months (16) 6 months (12) credit card number (8) 7 days (11) refund (100) search (154)
raymondv38
February 20th, 2020
Do not buy the service it gives you very limited information but nothing specific if you're trying to check on a cheater or something like that it is useless for that information do not buy this.
Hi Raymond,

georgek371
February 17th, 2020
Put email address into Spokeo said results ready do you unlock them I paid and then said there was no results for that email address that is a ripoff and a scam
Hi George,

I’m sorry to hear Spokeo did not meet your search needs, and I'd be happy to clarify. Spokeo’s free preview provides details on the kind of information we offer and the supported networks we search. When you see “Results May Include,” "Report Includes Available Information On," or "Discover on 120+ Networks,” this outlines the sorts of data we attempt to search. Spokeo has access to over 1.2 billion records, collected and organized from many different sources. New information is added to our system every day.

I apologize for any inconvenience, or hardship this matter may have caused. Please contact our Customer Care team through our contact page, http://www.spokeo.com/contact where we are available by phone, email, and chat 7 days a week from 5AM to 8PM PST so we can assist you further with this matter.

kaylag74
February 17th, 2020
I like a lot of people, signed up to use the $0.95 one time trial. A few days later, Spokeo stole 24.95 from my account. When I called and demanded a refund, he was very polite and nonchalant saying a refund of 9.95 would be sent back to my card. Upon throwing a massive fit I was told I would receive my full refund. Its been 5 days, no refund yet. Beware before using this site.
Hi Kayla,

I am very sorry to hear this.

I received your comment to the SiteJabber page for Spokeo on February 17, 2020 regarding our service and charges made on your account, and I am happy to assist in resolving this matter. Please allow me to explain the charges associated with your account. Since all Spokeo subscriptions automatically renew to prevent service interruption, trials that were left unchanged, were charged on the service's renewal date until disabled. And in terms of refunds, please allow up to 7 business days from when the refund was processed before seeing the fudns appear with your financial institution.

jerrie2
January 31st, 2020
I was looking for someone associated with my daughter. I was able to easily navigate the website to locate the information I sought. After reading the results, my mind was put at ease
Dear Jerri:

Thank you for the kind words and the 5-star rating. We are glad to hear that our service was helpful, fast, and our site easy to navigate! Thank you for giving us a try!

tomo175
January 30th, 2020
Checked on someone currently incarcerated. It said she had a PhD. Wrong. I then checked on myself. The information shown was incorrect.
Hi Tom,

jonp271
January 22nd, 2020
Once you pay the money then you find that there are misrepresenting the background information you're going to get . Then they want money for each and every other background check you do so it's a farce don't waste your money
Hi Jon:

Spokeo offers many low-cost membership plans. These can range from a one-time purchase of a Single Search Report to various auto-renewing subscriptions. The cost of Spokeo's products is dependent upon the search type and subscription length selected, as well as various promotions that may be offered at the time of purchase. To explore the available plans offered to you, please perform a search and click on the Get Full Results button. This will lead you to the payment page where details for the purchase can be found. You will also see a Plan Specifications link that highlights the plan's quotas.

kennethr241
January 20th, 2020
I've never had Spokeo overcharge me you simply call to cancel your trial subscription before the end of your 7 days.. Very simple and easy..love their services..would definitely recommend.
Dear Kenneth:

williams2131
January 18th, 2020
SERVICE WAS FAST, EASY TO USE, FREE TRIAL FOR 7 DAYS WAS EXCELLENT.......CORRESPONDENCE WAS FAST, UPFRONT & HELPFUL......I GIVE IT A "10".

Tip for consumers: GIVE IT A FREE 7 DAY TRIAL..........THIS SHOULD BE ALL THE EVIDENCE YOU NEED!!

Dear William:

carola419
January 18th, 2020
Used to find out if a person was scamming me and Spokeo helped to identify the person works great and would recommend
gc279
January 16th, 2020
Spokeo fraudulently charges our AMEX month after month despite promises to stop and promises to refund our money. It is a nightmare.
Dear G C:

I received your comment to the SiteJabber page for Spokeo on January 16, 2020 regarding our service and charges made on your account, and I am happy to assist in resolving this matter. Please allow me to explain the charges associated with your account. Since all Spokeo subscriptions automatically renew to prevent service interruption, trials that were left unchanged, were charged on the service's renewal date until disabled.

elsieb24
January 14th, 2020
When someone scammed you. Spokeo is a good source to checkout the person . You can use phone no to checkout if name is unavailable. You can use email addresses to checkout also or address if available. This is to secure yourself from the danger and to fall being a victim in the scammer.
Dear Elsie:

Thanks for the kind words and the 5-star rating. We are glad to hear that our service was helpful and our site easy to navigate! Thank you for giving us a try!

rogers469
January 7th, 2020
Tried it with a 7 day. Wasnt something inreally needed . Called in and canceled it. No hard sale,no pressure. No problems. No hidden charges no issues.
Good service to me, app just wasnt for me.
A ++ on the way things went
Dear Roger,

Thank you very much for the kind words and the 5-star rating on SiteJabber! We are happy to hear that our Customer Care Team helped you with all of your requests. Thank you for giving us a try!

benm320
January 2nd, 2020
Beware they want to charge you and when they do its an additional fee on top of what they just charged. RIP OFF!!!
Hi Ben M.:

We're sorry to hear about this. While our services do include, name, address, phone, and social searches in our subscrpitions, please note that if additional search types, such as Court and Historical searches, are needed, you can purchase these as add-on subscriptions.

ap340
December 25th, 2019
Very quick, user friendly and what impressed me most was when I needed to cancel, I did it with one email which was answered it seemed immediately, saying I had been canceled. I would defineately recommend this service to someone who wants to find someone.
Dear A P.,

gildak1
December 19th, 2019
Dear Gilda,

While we're sad to hear you weren't able to find who you were looking for. We are happy to hear that our Customer Care Team helped you with all of your requests. Thank you very much for the kind words and the 4-star rating on SiteJabber! Thank you for giving us a try!

marthah344
December 16th, 2019
While I only paid $0.95, it was still $0.95. And I got absolutely NO information. There was no information to be gotten. I think the website should tell you that BEFORE taking your money.
Hi Martha:

We very sorry to hear that we did not provide you with the most up to date or accurate information. Since we don't originate or create data, our data reflects that of its original source(s). Due to this, we cannot guarantee data accuracy and our data should only be used as a reference. However, we are constantly working to expand and improve the data available on our site. If you need additional assistance, please contact our Customer Care team via email at customercare@spokeo.com, or via phone at (888) 906-0850. Our team members are available 7 days a week, from 5am to 8pm (PST).

guidos23
December 10th, 2019
I got important info from the 3 people searches I looked for. And 2 of the 3 searches, was enough knowledge to make contact. I am grateful for Spokeo's efficiency, in having this data in their system! And when I ended the $.95 seven day trial period, the gentleman easily went through the cancellation process for me, without urging me to come on board with a subsription. I got a very good deal, for $.95! Thank you Spokeo! Also the 3 total customer service reps, were very courteous & respectful!
Dear Guido:

We are so happy to hear that you were able to find who you were looking for. Thank you very much for the kind words and the 4-star rating on SiteJabber! Connecting people with each other is something we strive for here at Spokeo. Thank you for giving us a try!

weiw19
December 10th, 2019
I paid for onetime service for $0.95 With all my credit card information they started to charges me monthly for $19.95 since August, 2019. This is criminal same as stealing money. Because they never sent me a bill not even an email.
Dear Wei:

I received your comment to the SiteJabber page for Spokeo on December 10, 2019 regarding our service and charges made on your account, and I am happy to assist in resolving this matter. Please allow me to explain the charges associated with your account. All Spokeo subscriptions automatically renew to prevent service interruption, trials that were left unchanged, were charged on the service's renewal date.

milts1
December 6th, 2019
I just searched for a high school friend and Spokeo came up in the results. Being curious, I looked at the profile and it had him living at the address I was familiar with and his correct age as it would be this year. Unfortunately, he murdered a woman and committed suicide about 17 years ago and hasn't lived at that address since about 1973. Great going, Spokeo!
Hi Milt:

We're sorry to hear that we did not provide you with the most up to date or accurate information. Since we don't originate or create data, our data reflects that of its original source(s). Due to this, we cannot guarantee data accuracy and our data should only be used as a reference. However, we are constantly working to expand and improve the data available on our site. If you need additional assistance, please contact our Customer Care team via email at customercare@spokeo.com, or via phone at (888) 906-0850. Our team members are available 7 days a week, from 5am to 8pm (PST).

dinar33
December 5th, 2019
Whenever I need to look up information Spokeo is my go to. You get information not just promises and sites wanting you to pay more for information they really don't have. If I don't want to continue the subscription I always cancel in advance I've never had a problem.
Dear Dina:

stephenm750
December 5th, 2019
These guys helped me find my friend and were willing to refund my most recent monthly fee when I decided to discontinue the service temporarily.
Dear Stephen:

Thank you very much for the kind words and the 5-star rating on SiteJabber! We are so happy to hear that you were able to find who you were looking for. Connecting loved ones and friends with one another is something we strive for here at Spokeo. Thank you for giving us a try!

manuela115
November 26th, 2019
I did a search for a 1 time fee of 1.95,then they billed me 25 dollars every month for 3 months before I noticed the 3 unauthorized charges on my card. Very shady stay far and clear.
Dear Manuel A.:

I received your comment to the SiteJabber page for Spokeo on November 26, 2019 regarding our service and charges made on your account, and I am happy to assist in resolving this matter.

Please allow me to explain the charges associated with all subscriptions. All Spokeo subscriptions automatically renew to prevent service interruption, trials that were left unchanged, were charged on the service's renewal date.

donw272
November 22nd, 2019
Somehow I got mistakenly signed up for a member and was charged $24.95 for a months service. I still don't know how that happened. Even so I contacted customer service to point out that I hadn't used their service and that my account (that I didn't know I had) would confirm that I hadn't used it. There was a one time $.95 phone number look up from april that I have no idea about, but this was from october 2019. Customer service immediately Claimed that they refunded me $19.96 of the $24.95 that had been charged to my credit card, & My Credit Card people confirmed that they did refund $19.96 but Spokeo turn around and charged me another $24.95. which using my credit card is something that I would never do unless it was a situation that was very urgent. Bottom line is that I don't know how all this came about, but I do believe it was intentionally UNDERHANDED..
Dear Don W.:

I received your comment to the SiteJabber page for Spokeo on November 22, 2019 regarding our service and charges made on your account, and I am happy to assist in resolving this matter.

richardl613
November 14th, 2019
Although Spokeo gives you a number of possibilities, it is buckshot. They do not make it clear what you get for your money. I cannot recommend it.
Hi Richard!

karlh95
November 11th, 2019
I found a friend I had been actively searching for, for over 10yrs. Literally took 60 seconds and there they were.
Dear Karl H.:

Thank you very much for the kind words and the 5-star rating. We are so happy to hear that our service was helpful! Thank you for giving us a try!

-Spokeo Customer Care

Watch for the $20 charge at the end of the month. They say a person is out, then the charge comes a month later. Had to cancel my card and get new # to keep them out of my wallet.

See more answers (5)

inform your visa provider,they should stop the payments and get you a refund from when you cancelled the account.It worked for me as visa said they had numerous complaints about Spokeo.Hope you sort it out!

By frank b.
See more answers (3)

I cancelled Spokeo service due to selling me misinformation or inaccurate information. I got this in writing from David at Spokeo. They are good about sending a letter about we are sorry about not meeting your expectations. Our terms of use states we can do this blah blah blah. After I cancelled this subscription and got this in writing from David, I got a new debit card from my bank. Spokeo found the NEW CARD and charged it. I took the problem to my bank and got a credit. Be very careful of these people, watch your bank statements.

By John H.

See more answers (5)

Call them and cancel asap

By Erica k.

See more answers (4)

When you sign up for the special you are also signing up for a biz site. If you cancel Spokeo you must cancel both.

By Jim R.
See more answers (3)

Elias, query "spokeo lawsuits" on google. There have been numerous cases on this group. Spokeo..........if you are reading these complaints, I am wondering how you manage to get around the charge backs and still have a credit card company that works with you.

By John H.