Review of Spokeo

Tel: 1-877-913-3088
support@spokeo.com

dalem77
12/11/17

I asked them to send me a contract showing that I had signed up for a $19.95 subscription. I was told the only way to get this was on the site.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Dale,

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding and certainly wish to help resolve this matter. Accounts of the type to which you subscribed, automatically renew if left active to prevent any service interruption. We make this very clear by detailing this on our payment page, including it in the disclaimer which must be agreed to before the purchase can be processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. I do apologize again if this was unclear in any way.

charless230
12/10/17

I signed up for a one time $.95 charge including a 7 day trial. They hit my card 30 days later with an unauthorized charge for $9.85 for a "Spokeo All in One Bundle Search" followed 10 days later with an unauthorized $19.95 charge for a "Spokeo Connections subscription. You can't make this kind of bad stuff up!!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Charles,
I'm sorry for any misunderstanding and certainly wish to help resolve the issue. When you signed up you selected our Single Search with Premium Trial plan, which provided you with an initial $0.95 Single Record as well as additional free Premium access for 7 days. As long as the trial is cancelled within 7 days, the account does not continue. Because your trial was not disabled within 7 days, a recurring subscription fee began to charge. Accounts of this type automatically renew if left active to prevent any service interruption. We try to make this very clear by detailing this on our payment page, including it in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. I do apologize again if this was unclear in any way.
jamesr317
10/11/17

Horrible service, inaccurate service, cancelling accounts with legitimate inquiries, lack of search criteria, overpriced memberships, call in wait times too long and no interests in providing useful background checks for potential employers! What was the point in developing this website?

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear James,

We want to make sure that your experience with Spokeo Customer Care is a positive one. We would like to thank you for addressing your concerns, and are happy to assist in resolving this issue. We are a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Furthermore, our information comes from various sources located within the Public Domain such as public record data, surveys, and social data (that has not been deemed private). Spokeo makes this information more easily accessible for people to research themselves or others, and sometimes that information is not always up to date. Spokeo's terms of use states clearly that we are a search engine and do not create, maintain or modify the information you see. For this reason we can not guarantee it's accuracy. Also, the uses described in your complaint are in direct violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Spokeo is not a background reporting agency, and any use that violates "FCRA", such as determining eligibility for employment, credit, insurance, and anything else listed within the act is strictly prohibited. Accounts found in violation of this act are immediately terminated, and prevented from further use of Spokeo's products. Should you have any further questions or concerns we ask that you please contact us directly at 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. We are more than happy to help!

Sincerely
monicam111
10/1/17

They try to hook you in by making you wait a long time for the info, but then they don't suppl the info.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Monica,

Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by Name, Reverse Email, Reverse Phone or Username. Our database covers a multitude of social networks, public records, marketing lists and more to reveal demographic details, public profiles, etc. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850. We're happy to help.

renator1
9/19/17

If it wasn't for my wife who checked my credit card billing, I would have never know I was subscribed on Spokeo.
I have never used the account and what is very serious is that they never let you know when the renew your supposed membership.
Worse of all is they continue to charge the service even when credit card is expired, meaning that they don't ask you to update the information on their website....maybe because they hope you forgot about that? More important, is the correct behaviour from a company?

I sent yesterday an email to their customer services, after 24 hours I still haven't received any answer from them.

Renato R.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Renato,

We understand your concern and hope to assist in resolving this matter. Please allow me to explain, in order for a Spokeo subscription to be created, a user must click on the "Sign Up" button or perform a search and click on the "Get Full Results" button. The user would then be required to enter in a full 16 digit credit or debit card number along with the card's matching security code, cardholder name, card expiration date, card billing zip code, and enter a valid email address that becomes the username associated with the account. Once this information has been entered, the Terms of Use agreement must be checked and agreed to and then the "Purchase" button must be hit. Once these actions are completed and the information is verified as valid and matching, the user must then fill out a brief survey and set an account password to begin using the subscription. Additionally, we provide detailed information regarding exactly how much, and how often a person will be billed on our payment page, as well as in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. This information is also included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions or concerns.

mirabellad
9/14/17

Paid only for them to show me the same information they gave me to begin with. Which was nothing but location (which I knew).

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Mirabella,

jamesm716
9/7/17

Tried to do a reverse phone number lookup for someone who was reselling locally stolen goods. Spokeo said it found the result with the name and address. I paid $1.95 for a one time record. There was nothing there except for phone number I was searching on. No name, no address, nothing...except the cell phone carrier...who cares. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY! Ps....all the other reverse phone look up sites are scams as well.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear James,

Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by Name, Reverse Email, Reverse Phone or Username. Our database covers a multitude of social networks, public records, marketing lists and more to reveal demographic details, public profiles, etc. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience.

marcelinaf
9/1/17

Is so fake I put all my information and it only gives you my really old information so old it's not even worth paying for this you guys do a upgrade to see if it really works to see if you guys have my real information it's a waste of money as a waste of time fix this crap .

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Marcelina,

cherylj50
8/16/17

They will take your money, tell you it's per month and then charge you for 6 months of service. In addition 98% of the information they provide based on name and telephone search is NOT correct!!!!! Please find another service to use unless you want incorrect information, charges that you did not sign up for and a robotic person to talk to in their so call "customer service".

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Cheryl,

We're sorry you feel this way, and wish to assist in resolving this matter. Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by Name, Reverse Email, Reverse Phone or Username. Our database covers a multitude of social networks, public records, marketing lists and more to reveal demographic details, public profiles, etc. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. Additionally, we provide detailed information regarding exactly how much, and how often a person will be billed on our payment page, as well as in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. This information is also included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions or concerns.

thomasw161
8/13/17

Tried to do a reverse phone number lookup for someone who was anonymously texting me. Spokeo said it found the result with the name and address. I paid $1.95 for a one time record. There was nothing there except for phone number I was searching on. No name, no address, nothing...except the cell phone carrier...who cares. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY! Ps....all the other reverse phone look up sites are scams as well.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Thomas,
We understand your concern and want to help in resolving this matter. Spokeo does not originate or create data, so our data reflects that of the original sources. Spokeo does not guarantee data accuracy, and the data should only be used as a reference. We are, however, constantly working to expand and improve the data available on our site. We want to make sure that you are helped, so please contact our Customer Care team at CustomerCare@spokeo.com.
sherrelll
8/5/17

Yesterday, was my first time to try Spokeo for my cheater. The search started out good I did everything right but it didn't find who I was specifically looking for. $1 not bad though.i tried other cheater profile websites before spokeo

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Sheryl,

We’re so sorry to hear that you weren't able to find what you were looking for. Spokeo does not originate or create data, so our data reflects that of the original sources. We are, however, constantly working to expand and improve the data available on on our site. We want to make sure that you are helped, so please contact our Customer Care team at CustomerCare@spokeo.com or by calling 1-888-906-0850 and explain your concerns. Thank you!

cheric21
6/27/17

Now having to fight to get my money back. And, you cannot "cancel any time" unless you used PayPal. If you paid them directly keep an eye on your account.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Cheri,
I'm sorry for any misunderstanding and certainly wish to help resolve the issue. When you signed up you selected our Single Search with Premium Trial plan, which provided you with an initial $0.95 Single Record as well as additional free Premium access for 7 days. As long as the trial is cancelled within 7 days, the account does not continue. Because your trial was not disabled within 7 days, a recurring subscription fee began to charge. Accounts of this type automatically renew if left active to prevent any service interruption. All information, including the type of subscription, exactly how much, and how often a person will be billed are clearly stated on our payment page. We also include this information in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. We also provide 24/7 support to our customers either by email, or by contacting our Customer Care department via phone at 888-271-9562. Our Customer Care Representatives are more than happy to assist any of our customers with any questions or concerns they might have regarding Spokeo. I do apologize again if this was unclear in any way.
danaf25
6/14/17

The site offered a free trial subscription .... BIG mistake. All my attempts to unsubscribe on the site are met with this message: "We were unable to complete your request at the moment. Please try again." I have been trying repeatedly for three days now - I always receive the same message. My emails on the "contact us" and "help" functions go unanswered.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Dana,
I'm sorry to hear you feel this way, Spokeo customers are welcome to cancel their subscription at any time. We also provide 24/7 support to our customers either by email, or by contacting our Customer Care department via phone at 888-271-9562. Our Customer Care Representatives are more than happy to assist any of our customers with any questions or concerns they might have regarding Spokeo.
ninab29
6/13/17

Crooks!!! I selected one time search for $1.95 but they charged me $.95, then $1.95, and then $19.95. DONT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Nina,

Sincerely - Spokeo
alexm283
6/3/17

I live in the U.K. And I have been concerned that my email address is being used by someone else. I saw this company and thought it might be able to show me if my email is being used on sites I don't know about.
So I signed up thinking I could find out, pay for the month and cancel. It doesn't even work in England, and it wanted to change me $35 for the privilege of not working!
I don't know what to do about it, I have sent an email but I don't know what I can do. Utter scam!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Alex,

We also provide 24/7 support to our customers either by email, or by contacting our Customer Care department via phone at 888-271-9562. Our Customer Care Representatives are more than happy to assist any of our customers with any questions or concerns they might have regarding their Spokeo Account, or any general questions they may have regarding Spokeo's website.

fucky82
6/1/17

You all are a bunch of crooks and I'm filing a law suit. THEY HAVE A LOT OF HIDDEN FEES. AND LIES!! DID A .95 ONE TIME SEARCH AND THEY CHARGED ME 19.95 IN 7 DYAS THEN ANOTHOER 9.95 IN 15.DAYS. SPOKEO IS A BUNCH OF CROOKS. ALL THERE INFORMATION IS INACCURATE AND NOT CURRENT.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Spokeo Customer,

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding and certainly wish to help resolve the issue. When you signed up you selected our Single Search with Premium Trial plan, which provided you with an initial $0.95 Single Record as well as additional free Premium access for 7 days. As long as the trial is cancelled within 7 days, the account does not continue. Because your trial was not disabled within 7 days, a recurring subscription fee began to charge. Accounts of this type automatically renew if left active to prevent any service interruption. The charge of $9.95 you also mentioned sounds like a renewal charge for another service we offer. The billing occurs if you choose to keep it after the free trial is over, to prevent any interruption of that service. We try to make this very clear by detailing this on our payment pages, including it in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. I do apologize again if this was unclear in any way. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience.

susanl177
5/26/17

I signed up to conduct a search on Spokeo. However, before deciding whether I might want to continue a subscription for their services I ran a basic phone number search as my test query. I used my own phone number to evaluate the accuracy of information that Spokeo would provide for my search. Unfortunately, they failed miserably, and of course they will never get my business. I have lived in the same location for nearly 30 years. The search came back with my location in Santa Ana California where I have never lived. The owner of the phone most certainly was not me even though I have had that number for several years. So sorry to say that Spokeo is unable to provide accurate data for the simplest of searches.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Susan,

wilmam11
5/25/17

No free reverse phone number look up. Its a scam. Don"t believe that it"s free! False advertising! Beware!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Wilma,

Basic results are available for free through the Spokeo people search. However, for more comprehensive, in-depth information, users are presented the option to sign up to our premium subscription. We’re sorry for any misunderstanding. Thanks,

katherynl2
5/20/17

Got crazy results with about 15 people living in my home and can't for the life of me get it cancelled. Nothing was correct even the public phone numbers that appear in the phone book. Biggest bs ever. It's actually a-------one. Can't go low enough.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Katheryn,

lb99
5/20/17

It has my age listed at 64. You have added almost a decade to my age. The inaccurate information is really helpful while you are job hunting. If you are going to publish people's information, the least you could do is get it right.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear LB,

pattib37
5/16/17

I got nothing for my 1.95 except to have my debit card hacked less than an hour later and someone trying to make a 900.00 purchase in Calfifornia where they are located.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Patti,

We're sorry to hear about this. We want to reassure you that we pay an industry-leading payment processor to handle all of our financial transactions, which ensures the highest data security. All of our payment information is transmitted securely using 128-bit high level SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption. We would like to assist you wit this issue further. Please contact a member of our Customer Care team as soon as possible and provide the email address associated with your Spokeo Account. We can be reached at 888-906-0850 or email CustomerCare@spokeo.com.

billp101
5/8/17

This is one of the sites you will never want to deal with, I made a search for a phone number and paid .99 cents, the search was totally helpless, and I ended up been charged 19.95 every month and I just realized after 3 months, with something I just didn't even know I had. They don't send any payment receipt so you don't figure out that you are being charged. I'm going to dispute through my bank because I tried to contact them online and no response. This site should definitely be shut down because it's stealing money to people!!!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Bill,

danh123
4/27/17

I signed up for a 'one time' search for $.99, somehow I also t signed up for a free trail THAT I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR, and ended up getting charged $19.95 3 times before I found out!! If it wasn't bad enough that my $.99 search didn't help me at all, now I have $60 in charges that again, I DID NOT WANT!!!!! I called customer service and was told that they could only cancel the service. So I sent them an email next in which I received an automated message saying I would be contacted in 12-24 hours....and I am now going on day 4 without any response from them!! So much for customer service!!!!!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Dan,

thomast84
4/15/17

I tried their web site search after having a suspicious phone call. What I ender up with was nothing at all except a charge on my credit card. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Thomas,

mikem496
4/11/17

I considered writtign along disertaqiton on SPokeo...the company I recently tired on line for searching out peole adn ba ckgrounds.

but I deciderd ot cut ot teh chase..

1) it dint work
2) the " Free trial" was not free..
3) They charged 19.95 without telling me and even after i showed them the agreement i signed that stated it was free for 30 days they insisted that it was only part of the bigger agreement buried somewhere the text..
4) SPokeo- just another rip off...

Nuff' said

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Mike,

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding and certainly wish to help resolve the issue. Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by Name, Reverse Email, Reverse Phone or Username. Our database covers a multitude of social networks, public records, marketing lists and more to reveal demographic details, public profiles, etc. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person.

Spokeo Customer Care

Watch for the $20 charge at the end of the month. They say a person is out, then the charge comes a month later. Had to cancel my card and get new # to keep them out of my wallet.

By Rich C.

inform your visa provider,they should stop the payments and get you a refund from when you cancelled the account.It worked for me as visa said they had numerous complaints about Spokeo.Hope you sort it out!

By frank b.

By Rich C.

Call them and cancel asap

By Erica k.

By Rich C.

I cancelled Spokeo service due to selling me misinformation or inaccurate information. I got this in writing from David at Spokeo. They are good about sending a letter about we are sorry about not meeting your expectations. Our terms of use states we can do this blah blah blah. After I cancelled this subscription and got this in writing from David, I got a new debit card from my bank. Spokeo found the NEW CARD and charged it. I took the problem to my bank and got a credit. Be very careful of these people, watch your bank statements.

By John H.

When you sign up for the special you are also signing up for a biz site. If you cancel Spokeo you must cancel both.

By Jim R.

Elias, query "spokeo lawsuits" on google. There have been numerous cases on this group. Spokeo..........if you are reading these complaints, I am wondering how you manage to get around the charge backs and still have a credit card company that works with you.

By John H.

Hello Darlene, I understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this matter. Please allow me to explain about Spokeo. We are a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Our information comes from various sources located within the Public Domain such as public record data, surveys, and social data (that has not been deemed private). Spokeo makes this information more easily accessible for people to research themselves or others, and sometimes that information is not always up to date. I sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding, and any inconvenience this experience has caused. Please feel free to contact me by phone at 888-906-0850, or via email at CustomerCare@spokeo.com should you have any further questions or concerns regarding this issue. All the best, Spokeo Customer Care

By Spokeo I. [Spokeo Rep]

Dear Frederick, Thank you for reaching out to us. For questions regarding your Spokeo Subscription, please contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. We are available 24/7 and happy to help with any questions or concerns you might have. Sincerely, Spokeo Customer Care

By Spokeo I. [Spokeo Rep]
Questions? Get answers from the Spokeo staff and other customers.

4 Photos for Spokeo