Review of Spokeo

Tel: 1-877-913-3088
support@spokeo.com

amberw48
8/31/16

I want a free trial like it says

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Amber,
Basic results are available for free through the Spokeo people search. However, for more comprehensive, in-depth information, users are presented the option to sign up to our premium subscription. We’re sorry for any misunderstanding. Thanks!
rekav
8/27/16

On the left side it gives the number of COURT RECORDS for a person which one can see when looking up a person's name. So, I plugged in my name out of curiosity expecting to see NO court records listed (because I've never had any problems with the law). It listed I had like 25 court records! I DON'T!. So, I guess part of the SCAM is that they might get people looking up themselves to pay for their service when they see Spokeo has listed many court records besides their name that the person does NOT have.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Reka,

Spokeo aggregates publicly-accessible data from a multitude of online and offline sources. Court record data is considered public record. It is made available by courthouses across the country to various vendors for publication. Our court records include data from more than 600 million records from 1400 courthouses across the United States.

If you are concerned about an inaccuracy in the listing, we strongly recommend you follow-up with the courthouse where the error most likely originated to have it corrected. The Spokeo listing should include the name of the courthouse and contact information, such as website and phone number. If you have any further questions or concerns you can contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850. We are available 24/7 for your convenience.

thel124
8/17/16

This site s not worth the money or time. They will not refund money...so try another service. I'm still paying for a service that does not fit my needs. If you try this service, pick the lowest amount indicated on the site. Don't buy before you try as I did.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Spokeo Customer,
Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by Name, Reverse Email, Reverse Phone or Username. Our database covers a multitude of social networks, public records, marketing lists and more to reveal demographic details, public profiles, etc. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience.
amandan30
8/12/16

Spokeo is doing a disservice to victims of stalkers by making available information victims wish to keep private.Spokeo claims that they merely pull information from public records.

However, before Spokeo, if a stalker living on the west coast suspected his victim moved to a town on the east coast and he wanted to confirm that, the stalker would have to buy round trip airline tickets, fly 6 hours out east, rent a car, rent a hotel, and walk into a hall of records between M-F 9am-5pm during business hours only in the town he thinks his victim lives, and then search the public records in that town. The chances are slim he'd incur the huge cost and time needed to take that gamble. Thanks to Spokeo- a stalker's best friend and a victim's second worst nightmare- stalkers can get this information in minutes just by paying a small fee (compared to travel expenses flying across the country...) If people want to search for their birth parent or something legit, invest a few hundred dollars with a private eye to do it.

Put Spokeo and other like-businesses out of business.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Amanda,

We want to make sure that your experience with Spokeo Customer Care is a positive one. We would like to thank you for addressing your concerns, and are happy to assist in resolving this issue. We are a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. We sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding, or any inconvenience this experience has caused. We also allow anyone to opt out of our service at any time and are happy to do so. Please give a member of our Customer Care team a call at 888-906-0850 or email Privacy@spokeo.com and provide the listings you would like removed at your earliest convenience. We are more than happy to help!

Sincerely
Spokeo Customer Care
marcelf8
8/6/16

They charged me even though they didn't find any information about the submitted number.
This is a scam !

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Marcel,

jeannek4
7/26/16

One reviewer suggests opting out to remove yourself from Spokeo's directory. But when I tried, it looks like you have to have their exact directory link path to request they remove it, which you could only get by subscribing. Double scam!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Jeanne,

We understand your concern and want to make sure you are helped with this issue. Spokeo respects your privacy. If you would like to have your information removed please send an email to Privacy@spokeo.com and provide your full name, date of birth and all cities/states you have lived so we can locate the correct information for removal. If you have any questions regarding this issue please feel free to contact a member of Customer Care by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience.

The Spokeo Team
tanis53
7/3/16

My experience of contacting Spokeo CS for a refund due to a misconception was notably the best CS experience I've ever had. A representative was available almost immediately and did not hesitate to resolve my issue- NO HASSLE AT ALL! Because the service initially purchased provided everything needed, I will return to Spokeo for any future needs, and I would definitely recommend Spokeo to any and all.

joannk13
6/27/16

When this site was free, it was great. Five years later, their data is often wrong or out of date too many times.
Also, I kept getting charged $23 for my membership fee for over a year I did not recognize. I had cancelled my first account 7/15; I called for help.The rep told me I could have another account in another name but unless I could remember it, she could not help me. More Monthly charges so 3 months later I called again 3/16. A rep told me the additional account email. She agreed to cancel the account. 6/27/16 just saw the same debit on credit card. They just keep on charging me. Protesting with credit card company this time.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear JoAnn,

We’re sorry to hear about this. Spokeo does not originate or create data, so our data reflects that of the original sources. Spokeo does not guarantee data accuracy, and the data should only be used as a reference. We are, however, constantly working to expand and improve the data available on on our site. It sounds like there is an active subscription on your account. We want to make sure to help you, so please contact our Customer Care team at CustomerCare@spokeo.com or by calling 1-888-906-0850 and explain your concerns. Thanks!

myrnab4
6/27/16

I purchased to look for an old friend of my aunt who was visiting from out of the country. Needless to say, none of the phone numbers provided were current and the address was a bust. When I signed up it said I had a 30 day trial, what a lie! It was only 7 days and then I was billed for $19.95. When I called to cancel, a very rude young man confirmed that (yes) I just paid for a service that did not work and it was too bad as I would not get a refund.

I advise everyone to beware of SPOKEO as they have no moral compass.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Myrna,

We appreciate you taking the time to express your concerns and want to make sure you are helped. Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by Name, Reverse Email, Reverse Phone or Username. Our database covers a multitude of social networks, public records, marketing lists and more to reveal demographic details, public profiles, etc. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person.

Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850, or by emailing customercare@spokeo.com, at your earliest convenience so we can assist with any questions or concerns you might have.

ginam49
6/19/16

I purchased a (6) month subscription and I never received a confirmation email of my purchase, which was strange. The at the same time I see that it will be a reoccurring charge. So I contacted them on several occasions about cancelling my subscription. Finally I received an email and they stated they stopped the reoccurring billing but would not refund the money I paid out for the (6) months and that I could use the site until Dec of 2016. Well, ok, at least I would not be charged again. Now I have this subscription for the (6) months I paid for. This has been about (2) weeks ago. So the other night I thought well since I paid for this I check someone out. I went to sign in and it said there's a error and my password was not working. So I did a password reset, then another reset, then another. They blocked me even though I paid, they blocked me from using it the (6) months I paid for. They stole my money, there is no other way to explain it then out and out fraud. NEVER I MEAN NEVER TRUST ANY SITE UNTIL YOU READ ALL REVIEWS.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Gina,
We understand your concern and want to make sure you are helped with this matter. All information, including the type of subscription, exactly how much, and how often a person will be billed are clearly stated on our payment page. We also include this information in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. Furthermore, our representatives are available 24/7 to assist with any issues you might be experiencing with logging in, or with any general questions you might have regarding the site. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team if you have any questions or concerns with your searches! They can be reached at 888-906-0850, or CustomerCare@spokeo.com.
haroldb41
6/19/16

This company just plain $#*!ing sucks! Do NOT EVER use their services. PERIOD!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Harold,
We understand your concern and want to make sure you are helped. If you have any further questions or concerns regarding this issue please contact a member of our Customer Care team by callin 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. They're more than happy to help.
spokyeosites
6/11/16

This is the worst scam ever on Internet and you should be very afraid of using this non existing service and also about how your credit card info is used from this company. Stay away! its just $#*!.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Spokeo Customer,
christinem82
6/9/16

Spokeo did a recurring charge without my permission. I was charged for a search I didn't order as I was just discharged from the hospital last night from major abdominal surgery in which I haven't been online or any where to purchase any service? I didn't authorize the charge.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Christine,
We're sorry to hear about this and want to make sure you are helped with whatever questions or concerns you might have. You may have an active subscription on your account. Please call or email a member of our Customer Care team at your earliest convenience so we can assist you further. They can be reached at 888-906-0850, or email CustomerCare@spokeo.com.
taylorj11
6/1/16

Going Down Hill is great for gas mileage but it is not great for any thing else. Spokeo was a somewhat decent website with a decent philosophy: That is until they redesigned their website! Now they are offering a $ 5.00 USD monthly membership to use it?! Wait a minute. I try to click the link and for some reason they are offering a $ 0.95 USD including a 7 Day Free Trial and if I don't cancel it, I will be billed $ 20.00 USD per month?! WHAT?! SoooOooOOooo WHICH ONE IS IT?! Can you not make up your minds?! It sounds very much like a scam!! They aren't even making any attempt to hide their scam!!

ah1075
5/29/16

Like everyone else who wanted a ONE TIME SEARCH for .95 from spokeo, we got ripped off too! The search we did was useless! Then they have the audacity to bill my account for $19.95 for two months before I finally had time to discovered what was going on! REALLY? I did not receive any email from them saying they were going to charge my account! I know they will put up their canned apology here but I DO NOT BELIEVE THEM! I understand your scam! Some people don't check their bank accounts and you bill them then you will give them a small refund and keep the rest! The money adds up after you dupe a lot of people! Then you get everyone's personal information and charge for that too! WHAT A SCAM!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear A H.,

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding and certainly wish to help resolve the issue. When you signed up you selected our Single Search with Premium Trial plan, which provided you with an initial $0.95 Single Record as well as additional free Premium access for 7 days. As long as the trial is cancelled within 7 days, the account does not continue. Because your trial was not disabled within 7 days, a recurring subscription fee began to charge. Accounts of this type automatically renew if left active to prevent any service interruption. We try to make this very clear by detailing this on our payment page, including it in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. I do apologize again if this was unclear in any way.

allenb62
5/23/16

I paid $0.95 for one use to check it out. The search was inadequate. BUT THEY CHARGED $19.95 for at least the last THREE MONTHS that were unauthorized or somehow disguised upon purchase. I only used it once. Deceitful. I also read the FTC found they were writing their own positive reviews.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Allen,
rebeccas44
5/19/16

I've been the victim of credit card fraud one too many times, so I decided to find out who is responsible since the card companies can't be bothered. Guess what, these jokers won't let me investigate the people who stole my credit card! When I put that I wanted to use it to investigate credit card fraud, they said think you very much your money has been refunded! Good that I verified the location of the address before I gave them my info so I can report that with the phone number.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Revecca,
We understand your concern and want to make sure you're helped with this matter. Please contact a member of our Customer Care team if you have any questions or concerns with your searches! They can be reached at 888-906-0850, or CustomerCare@spokeo.com.
mannyh1
5/15/16

Spokeo remains the lowest form of life on the internet. Every 6-12 months I have to contact them to correct the misinformation they spew.

My father, deceased since 1984, is still alive, as far as they are concerned. My mother, who died in 2009, shows as still alive and living in Fort Collins......... where she never lived in her life.

They have 5 listings for me, 3 of which are wrong.

If you believe in Spokeo, you believe in Godzilla and Peter Pan. This useless site should be shut down for distributing more misinformation than any other source on the internet.

You have to know, looking at the reviews 300 one star vs. 6 five star reviews that this is a failure of a company. If they served food, sold gas, mowed lawns, or provided any other service in the world, they would be out of business. If you pay them a nickel. you are a sucker. Their motto must be "Never give a sucker an even break"

Vote these clowns out of business

So spokeo's response is that it is not their fault that there are so many innaccuracies, all of the data collection is done by machine....... therefore it must be the machines' fault.

"It wasn't my fault that I killed someone, the bartender should not have sold me the drink and they shouldn't have made a car that would go 75 MPH"

Sounds like the dog ate someone's homework out in Pasadena. 50 to one....... one star vs. 5 stars........... the world has spoken: "spokeo is scum and a worthless hazard to the internet"

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Manny,

johnm759
5/9/16

i wish i could rate it lower than one star. a website that exposes you address, relatives and more WITHOUT a shred of your consent. puts your information to the public WAY to easily. If i were you i would go on there website and op out just to ensure your safety

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear John,
We understand your concern and want to make sure you are helped. Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by Name, Reverse Email, Reverse Phone or Username. Our database covers a multitude of social networks, public records, marketing lists and more to reveal demographic details, public profiles, etc. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience so we can assist with any questions or concerns you might have.
perryw15
5/6/16

How to find them? How to get them to stop taking my money? They offer as little as 411 and ask for extra money for every small service beyond that. I was gullible and joined so I am spending money every month but cannot ascertain who this terrible agency is! The best I am say now is: Help!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Spokeo Customer,
We understand your concern and want to make sure you are helped. Please allow me to explain regarding Spokeo. The website is designed to keep Spokeo memberships at the lowest possible price, we enable users to purchase only the products they need. When you need additional product(s), they will be available as Product Add-ons to enable more advanced search features only when you need them.​ This way, users can customize their subscriptions in any way they see fit, whereas in the past, if someone wanted to upgrade you had to purchase the whole thing. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team if you have any questions or concerns with your searches! They can be reached at 888-906-0850, or CustomerCare@spokeo.com.
maureend9
5/5/16

Spokeo membership is a scam. They charge more than the original fee quoted. It was very difficult to cancel membership. They "lose" the account information, but are quite capable of taking money from my account.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Maureen,
We understand your concern and want to make sure you are helped with any questions or concerns you might have with this matter. In order for a Spokeo subscription to be created, a user must click on the "Sign Up" button or perform a search and click on the "Get Full Results" button. The user would then be required to enter in a full 16 digit credit or debit card number along with the card's matching security code, cardholder name, card expiration date, card billing zip code, and enter a valid email address that becomes the username associated with the account. Once this information has been entered, the Terms of Use agreement must be checked and agreed to and then the "Purchase" button must be hit. Once these actions are completed and the information is verified as valid and matching, the user must then fill out a brief survey and set an account password to begin using the subscription. Additionally, we provide detailed information regarding exactly how much, and how often a person will be billed on our payment page, as well as in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. This information is also included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions or concerns.
cherylp45
5/4/16

They say they are going to charge .95 to look up a number and then a week later charge you $19.95. Do not use this company. Find a reverse look-up company that does not scam it's users.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Cheryl,

amym70
5/2/16

HA! What a joke. Tried to find a number for work. Was going to pay $0.95 to get the listing. So after I entered all info it says I will be signed up for a monthly charge!! Well don't want a monthly charge. I wanted to look up ONE thing for under a dollar! So I closed that page and went to another reverse lookup page. Come to find out they charge you the monthly fee anyway! Even if you don't click to finalize the order! Once they have your info they use it to put charges on your card! I wonder how many people don't even notice they are being charged. None of my emails have even so much as a confirmation of account email to show my membership or agreement to join their services. Another scam, fake company, RIPOFF!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Amy,

jamiej35
5/1/16

My Debit card was charged on 3 different occasions, totaling $40.85.

The company is called Spokeo. They're a web based company designed to conduct reverse lookup searches on people. They're website is www.spokeo.com

Transaction as it appears on my Wells Fargo bank statement: RECURRING PAYMENT AUTHORIZED ON 04/22 SPK*SPOKEO SEARCH 800-6994264 CA S306113303286617

If you look on your bank statement, there will be random numbers that appear with the general transaction information. These random numbers aren't so random., they're actually the phone numbers connecting to Spokeo. The numbers start as 1800 (1-800) or just 800. They appear on my statement as 800-6994264, which is phone # 1-800-699-4264.

I called the 800 number and connected to a recording. Press "0" immediately after the recording begins and you will quickly be connect to a live Spokeo representative that will help you with cancelling the account.

The Spokeo representative you speak with will ask you a couple questions that will direct him/her to your account information. They will see detailed information regarding the activity or inactivity on the account in question.

You MUST inform them this is an unauthorized charge and you want the money refunded in full or you will begin with disputing the charges with your bank. Spokeo will refund the money and send you a confirmation number immediately.

If you claim these charges are unauthorized by you, the cardholder, the Spokeo representative has no other option but to refund your money. The last problem an online company wants to deal with is your banks legal department contacting them and throwing around words like "fraud" and "Better Business Bureau complaint".

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Spokeo Customer,
Thank you for taking time to provide us with this feedback! We want your experience with Spokeo to be a positive one. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team if you have any further questions or concerns! They can be reached at 888-906-0850, or CustomerCare@spokeo.com.
km127
4/29/16

First of all, I did a general search for "reverse phone lookup". The search came up with "Spokeo" as the first listed. The title said, "FREE - Reverse phone lookup". You go to website, put in what you're looking for, and then, if you're not careful, it'll sign you up for a $9.95/mo service. Otherwise, for only a single lookup, it's $1.95. So I paid for that. It took my pymt, told me it would email me a receipt but NEVER GAVE ME THE INFO I HAD REQUESTED. If that's not a scam, what is? I'm giving it a one star rating, because it wont let me select zero.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Spokeo Customer,
Spokeo

Watch for the $20 charge at the end of the month. They say a person is out, then the charge comes a month later. Had to cancel my card and get new # to keep them out of my wallet.

By Rich C.

inform your visa provider,they should stop the payments and get you a refund from when you cancelled the account.It worked for me as visa said they had numerous complaints about Spokeo.Hope you sort it out!

By frank b.

By Rich C.

Call them and cancel asap

By Erica k.

By Rich C.

I cancelled Spokeo service due to selling me misinformation or inaccurate information. I got this in writing from David at Spokeo. They are good about sending a letter about we are sorry about not meeting your expectations. Our terms of use states we can do this blah blah blah. After I cancelled this subscription and got this in writing from David, I got a new debit card from my bank. Spokeo found the NEW CARD and charged it. I took the problem to my bank and got a credit. Be very careful of these people, watch your bank statements.

By John H.

When you sign up for the special you are also signing up for a biz site. If you cancel Spokeo you must cancel both.

By Jim R.

Elias, query "spokeo lawsuits" on google. There have been numerous cases on this group. Spokeo..........if you are reading these complaints, I am wondering how you manage to get around the charge backs and still have a credit card company that works with you.

By John H.

Hello Darlene, I understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this matter. Please allow me to explain about Spokeo. We are a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Our information comes from various sources located within the Public Domain such as public record data, surveys, and social data (that has not been deemed private). Spokeo makes this information more easily accessible for people to research themselves or others, and sometimes that information is not always up to date. I sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding, and any inconvenience this experience has caused. Please feel free to contact me by phone at 888-906-0850, or via email at CustomerCare@spokeo.com should you have any further questions or concerns regarding this issue. All the best, Spokeo Customer Care

By Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative

Dear Frederick, Thank you for reaching out to us. For questions regarding your Spokeo Subscription, please contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. We are available 24/7 and happy to help with any questions or concerns you might have. Sincerely, Spokeo Customer Care

By Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Spokeo staff and other customers.

4 Photos for Spokeo