Review of Spokeo

Tel: 1-877-913-3088
support@spokeo.com

mikem496
4/11/17

I considered writtign along disertaqiton on SPokeo...the company I recently tired on line for searching out peole adn ba ckgrounds.

but I deciderd ot cut ot teh chase..

1) it dint work
2) the " Free trial" was not free..
3) They charged 19.95 without telling me and even after i showed them the agreement i signed that stated it was free for 30 days they insisted that it was only part of the bigger agreement buried somewhere the text..
4) SPokeo- just another rip off...

Nuff' said

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Mike,

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding and certainly wish to help resolve the issue. Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by Name, Reverse Email, Reverse Phone or Username. Our database covers a multitude of social networks, public records, marketing lists and more to reveal demographic details, public profiles, etc. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person.

kassandraf
4/11/17

I used this site for one search and paid the one-time fee of .95 about 2 months ago. Since then, I've found over $40 in charges from this website. They are unbelievable. I really can't believe a site like this hasn't been shut down for fraud.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Kassandra,

janp43
4/8/17

Spokeo wrote a response to my complaint on here They are claiming they send receipts for payments. I never got any receipts by any email or any source. They give telephone numbers expecting me to call them. Not likely. These people get your info and bill you repeatedly because of fake accounts. I am intend to file complaints with every government agency I can, until somebody makes them get a signature for their phony accounts they use to do repeat billing on people. Yes, I got my money back and it is still under investigation. Save your comments for that! Eat that Spokeo. .

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Jan,

We understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this matter. Spokeo is a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Our subscriptions are set up to renew automatically so that those who use our services on a regular basis can do so without any interruption. In order for a Spokeo subscription to be created, a user must click on the "Sign Up" button or perform a search and click on the "Get Full Results" button. The user would then be required to enter in a full 16 digit credit or debit card number along with the card's matching security code, cardholder name, card expiration date, card billing zip code, and enter a valid email address that becomes the username associated with the account. Once this information has been entered, the Terms of Use agreement must be checked and agreed to and then the "Purchase" button must be hit. Once these actions are completed and the information is verified as valid and matching, the user must then fill out a brief survey and set an account password to begin using the subscription. Additionally, we provide detailed information regarding exactly how much, and how often a person will be billed on our payment page, as well as in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. This information is also included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions or concerns. We are available 24/7 and more than happy to address any questions or concerns you might have. Customers may contact us directly from our contact page, by calling 888-906-0850, or emailing CustomerCare@spokeo.com.

micheles4
4/5/17

Doesn't tell you diddly. Info outdated. The guys are Catfish are getting paid to advertise this joke of a site.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Michele,

waveg
3/16/17

Well, Spokeo's response appeared apologitic & sincere. It suggested I call customer svc at 888-906-0850. I did, still no refund. They really want to keep my $29.70. I'm not happy.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Wave,

We want to make sure that your experience with Spokeo Customer Care is a positive one. We would like to thank you for addressing your concerns, and are happy to assist in resolving this issue. We sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding, or any inconvenience this experience has caused. Please give a member of our Customer Care team a call at 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. We are more than happy to help!

boby9
2/14/17

link says its free lookup of a phone number.. IT IS NOT... Phony.. wrong... and just plain trying to fool the public shame on spokeo

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Bob,

We understand your concern and are happy to help resolve this issue. Please allow me to explain, basic results are available for free through the Spokeo people search. However, for more comprehensive, in-depth information, users are presented the option to sign up to our premium subscription. We’re sorry for any misunderstanding.

jamesn122
2/13/17

This website is a joke.They have 8 different families living at my address.We are the only family that has ever lived here.The property was previously a hay field,we developed it.They also have have 5 people living here.There wouldn't be that many if you counted the pets.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear James,

We understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this issue. Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by Name, Reverse Email, Reverse Phone or Username. Our database covers a multitude of social networks, public records, marketing lists and more to reveal demographic details, public profiles, etc. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience.

chuckg15
2/8/17

Scam
they will charge you every month even if you only do a one time charge. Do not give them your credit card. They will continue to charge and the most you can ever get back is 2 months. And the site finds nothing for you.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Chuck,

We want to make sure that your experience with Spokeo Customer Care is a positive one. We would like to thank you for addressing your concerns, and are happy to assist in resolving this issue. We are a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Our subscriptions are set up to renew automatically so that those who use our services on a regular basis can do so without any interruption. We sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding, or any inconvenience this experience has caused. Please give a member of our Customer Care team a call at 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. We are more than happy to help!

omeliac
2/6/17

I've paid for subscription and the reverse email search came up to nothing. I can find more on my own just using general google search. Also, when I tried searching my own email, it came up with a meager 2 or 3 pieces of information. Not at all exhaustive as Google search engine pulled up a ton more. May I get a refund?

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Omelia,

Also, all information, including the type of subscription, exactly how much, and how often a person will be billed are clearly stated on our payment page. We also include this information in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use.

We also provide 24/7 support to our customers either by email, or by contacting our Customer Care department via phone at 888-271-9562. Our Customer Care Representatives are more than happy to assist any of our customers with any questions or concerns they might have regarding Spokeo.

lolat8
1/19/17

I put a particular number into their system. They ran the number and said that they had a full report to share with me, so I paid the $2 for it. Turns out they had no information on the number at all. I'm not going to cry over $2, but after reading other people's reviews I will definitely be monitoring my Credit Card. I don't think this site is honest or useful.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Lola,

willh48
1/15/17

They take your money with promises of giving you information they have but once they take your payment you get nothing.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Will,
jocelync10
12/27/16

DO NOT USE SPOKEO, YOU WILL END UP PAYING MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION YOU DID NOT SIGN UP FOR. THEY WILL AUTOMATICALLY PUT YOU ON MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION FOR 19.99 A MONTH. I AM ONE OF THE VICTIM HERE. THIS WEBSITE IS A BIG SCAM!!!!!!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Jocelyn,

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding and certainly wish to help resolve the issue. When you signed up you selected our Single Search with Premium Trial plan, which provided you with an initial $0.95 Single Record as well as additional free Premium access for 7 days. As long as the trial is cancelled within 7 days, the account does not continue. Because your trial was not disabled within 7 days, a recurring subscription fee began to charge to prevent any service interruption. Please give a member of our Customer Care team a call at 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. We are more than happy to help!

fooledm
12/10/16

Do not use this service you will end up paying for a subscription without knowing it. Communist bastards!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Spokeo Customer,

I understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this issue. Please allow me to explain regarding Spokeo subscriptions. In order for a Spokeo subscription to be created, a user must click on the "Sign Up" button or perform a search and click on the "Get Full Results" button. The user would then be required to enter in a full 16 digit credit or debit card number along with the card's matching security code, cardholder name, card expiration date, card billing zip code, and enter a valid email address that becomes the username associated with the account. Once this information has been entered, the Terms of Use agreement must be checked and agreed to and then the "Purchase" button must be hit. Once these actions are completed and the information is verified as valid and matching, the user must then fill out a brief survey and set an account password to begin using the subscription. Additionally, we provide detailed information regarding exactly how much, and how often a person will be billed on our payment page, as well as in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. This information is also included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions or concerns.

robertt151
12/8/16

These people are as crooked as a three dollar bill. My subscription lasted 20 minutes while I discovered all the hidden add on charges for their free 7 day trial and even demanded more money for the original info I paid for and never got. Cancelled with confirmation but have a bad feeling my credit card hasn't seen the last of them.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Robert,

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding and certainly wish to help resolve the issue. When you signed up you selected our Single Search with Premium Trial plan, which provided you with an initial $0.95 Single Record as well as additional free Premium access for 7 days. As long as the trial is cancelled within 7 days, the account does not continue. Because your trial was not disabled within 7 days, a recurring subscription fee began to charge. Accounts of this type automatically renew if left active to prevent any service interruption. Additionally, we provide detailed information regarding exactly how much, and how often a person will be billed on our payment page, as well as in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. This information is also included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions or concerns.

sidt11
12/8/16

seems that you cannot be trusted. These reviews I am looking at are terrible. Sorry I will go somewhere else.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Sid,

We want to make sure that your experience with Spokeo Customer Care is a positive one. We would like to thank you for addressing your concerns, and are happy to assist in resolving this issue. We are a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Please give a member of our Customer Care team a call at 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. We are more than happy to help!

sharonl84
12/1/16

Googled free reverse phone lookup and this company comes up. They are not free!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Hi Sharon,

We understand your concern, and would like to assist in resolving this matter. Basic results are available for free through the Spokeo people search. However, for more comprehensive, in-depth information, users are presented the option to sign up for one of our premium subscriptions. We’re sorry for any misunderstanding.

meganb56
10/20/16

Signed up for the $24.95 plan but was charged over $50. I haven't even been a member for a full month. The site itself is cool (although some stuff is inaccurate and the social media profiles are a shot in the dark) but the way they run their business is not ethical.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Megan,
I understand your concern and want to make sure you are helped with this matter. It is possible you may have upgraded your service. So we can help you, please call Customer Care at 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. We are available 24/7 to assist you.

ja27997
10/3/16

Do NOT waste your money on this company. They are nothing more than SCAM artists. Watch your credit card for recurring charges. They will not stop until you demand they do.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear J A,
We understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this matter. All information, including the type of subscription, exactly how much, and how often a person will be billed are clearly stated on our payment page. We also include this information in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team if you have any questions or concerns with your searches! They can be reached at 888-906-0850, or CustomerCare@spokeo.com.

adamp64
9/29/16

I use to have business account with Spokeo. The information in general was pretty accurate if you knew what you were looking for and did some double checking on data it was accurate more then it wasn't. My subscription expired as my biz had slowed a bit I elected not to renew it but when it picked up again I reactivated it only to find out they had completely restructured how they let you see the info. Instead of a monthly price for all info you use to be able to see, I learned after paying a ridiculous amount that it was only for name data and if I wanted all the info I use to get I had to add pieces from an a la carte menu. Bottomline....while there use to be value in Spokeo they are now 100% a total rip off. STAY AWAY....FAR FAR AWAY.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Adam,

We understand your concern and wish to assist with this matter. Please allow me to explain regarding Spokeo. The website is designed to keep Spokeo memberships at the lowest possible price, we enable users to purchase only the products they need. When you need additional product(s), they will be available as Product Add-ons to enable more advanced search features only when you need them. This way, users can customize their subscriptions in any way they see fit, whereas in the past, if someone wanted to upgrade you had to purchase the whole thing. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team if you have any questions or concerns with your searches! They can be reached at 888-906-0850, or CustomerCare@spokeo.com.

rosis
9/29/16

I decided to do a search of myself and was surprised at what I saw. Names of deceased former tenants or people whose mail I have gotten accidentally. The only one I know there is my now ex husband and they even had his age wrong. Having said this...that gave me bad vibes about this company. I don't know 95% of the people stated that I am associated with. I believe they got some information from the Postal Service!! I recall seeing these names from getting these people's mail. Many of these people I learned from long time residents have either long moved out or died. I wouldn't give these people 1 cent...not even a 1/2 cent if they still existed. Total phonies!!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Rosi,

Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by Name, Reverse Email, Reverse Phone or Username. Our database covers a multitude of social networks, public records, marketing lists and more to reveal demographic details, public profiles, etc. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience so we can assist with any questions or concerns you might have.

mistyf5
9/24/16

After reading primarily very negative reviews I am glad that I did by the way, I will not be using your service, wow, do you know how many really bad reviews you have?

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Misty,
We appreciate your feedback. At Spokeo we try to do our best to provide the best product available to our customers. Unfortunately, for some customers, our services do not suit their needs. If you have any questions or concerns regarding our products, please contact us directly by calling 888-906-0850, or email CustomerCare@spokeo.com.

The Spokeo Team
danb164
9/20/16

Used the one time charge option. Was charged 19.36 a month for several months before i even noticed. Called and cancelled next month another charge ..wife called and cancelled asked for a refund ... 3-7 days never got a refund.. next month another charge.. called and cancelled ased for refund...3-7 business days... still no refund.. called to cancel yet again was told the account was cancelled but never submitted for refund.. guess what??? 3-7 business days!!! Im not holding my breath!!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Dan,

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding and certainly wish to help resolve the issue. When you signed up you selected our Single Search with Premium Trial plan, which provided you with an initial $0.95 Single Record as well as additional free Premium access for 7 days. As long as the trial is cancelled within 7 days, the account does not continue. Because your trial was not disabled within 7 days, a recurring subscription fee began to charge. Accounts of this type automatically renew if left active to prevent any service interruption. We try to make this very clear by detailing this on our payment page, including it in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. I do apologize again if this was unclear in any way. For assistance with this refund please call Customer Care at 888-906-0850.

kathleenb47
9/14/16

I am in the service and was looking for a trusted site for work related information.I signed up for a free 30 day trial to see if it was what I wanted/needed. I had 1 more day to cancel if I wanted to but on September 11th They took $9.85 out of my account and there is another $19.95 pending. What?! I sent them an email and got nothing in return. I don't understand why is this a scam? I want my money back. Both of the amount's. I still had 1 day to cancel before they started taking unauthorized amount's out of my account. If I don't hear anything in the next 48 hour's I will get a hold of the security officer at my bank and I will call the Better Business Bureau as well as the authorities. Kathleen Barrett. Update. Spoke has taken care of the problem so I have changed my 1 star rating to a 4 star rating. Thank you Spokeo

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Kathleen,

ambera32
9/5/16

Went into this thinking that it would give me real information, but it didn't even come close. I get better results just googling information myself. So now I'm out 30 bucks for basically nothing. I would change my review if they offer me a refund or at least try to make it right. There's a lot of missing and/or inaccurate information that a kindergartener can find better... Not worth the price at all. Maybe if it was 99 cents. :/

**Edit** Well I called them and I must say that they did handle my concerns pretty well. They explained to me clearly the fine print. They also offered to do a search for me through the phone. I've cancelled my subscription without any hassle, but I still get to use what I paid for. For that, I'll give them another star. I won't use them again though.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Amber,

terrim46
9/1/16

Only giving Spokeo 2 stars because they have well trained, professional customer service representatives - who are well trained to tell you that they are not giving you full refunds for cancellations you are not using, but offer you an 'upgrade'. Signed up for a one month subscription - which to any normal person means you want to pay for and use the service for one month only, not indefinitely. So, they 'renew' (because you didn't know you had to cancel something you only joined for one month), charging your credit card. Then, even though you haven't used their site (because you know your one-month subscription ended),they won't refund the full amount. ONLY if you push, will they give a partial refund. 2nd issue with them is that what is not clearly shown is that your one-month subscription only allows for 20 searches. Very limited in it's usefulness. Found that several of the free services that allow unlimited searches were just as good, if not better in finding current information. Can't recommend to others and don't ever plan to use them again.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Terri,
We understand your concerns and want to assist in resolving this issue. All information, including the type of subscription, exactly how much, and how often a person will be billed are clearly stated on our payment page. We also include this information in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team if you have any questions or concerns with your searches! They can be reached at 888-906-0850, or CustomerCare@spokeo.com.
Spokeo

Watch for the $20 charge at the end of the month. They say a person is out, then the charge comes a month later. Had to cancel my card and get new # to keep them out of my wallet.

By Rich C.

inform your visa provider,they should stop the payments and get you a refund from when you cancelled the account.It worked for me as visa said they had numerous complaints about Spokeo.Hope you sort it out!

By frank b.

By Rich C.

Call them and cancel asap

By Erica k.

By Rich C.

I cancelled Spokeo service due to selling me misinformation or inaccurate information. I got this in writing from David at Spokeo. They are good about sending a letter about we are sorry about not meeting your expectations. Our terms of use states we can do this blah blah blah. After I cancelled this subscription and got this in writing from David, I got a new debit card from my bank. Spokeo found the NEW CARD and charged it. I took the problem to my bank and got a credit. Be very careful of these people, watch your bank statements.

By John H.

When you sign up for the special you are also signing up for a biz site. If you cancel Spokeo you must cancel both.

By Jim R.

Elias, query "spokeo lawsuits" on google. There have been numerous cases on this group. Spokeo..........if you are reading these complaints, I am wondering how you manage to get around the charge backs and still have a credit card company that works with you.

By John H.

Hello Darlene, I understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this matter. Please allow me to explain about Spokeo. We are a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Our information comes from various sources located within the Public Domain such as public record data, surveys, and social data (that has not been deemed private). Spokeo makes this information more easily accessible for people to research themselves or others, and sometimes that information is not always up to date. I sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding, and any inconvenience this experience has caused. Please feel free to contact me by phone at 888-906-0850, or via email at CustomerCare@spokeo.com should you have any further questions or concerns regarding this issue. All the best, Spokeo Customer Care

By Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative

Dear Frederick, Thank you for reaching out to us. For questions regarding your Spokeo Subscription, please contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. We are available 24/7 and happy to help with any questions or concerns you might have. Sincerely, Spokeo Customer Care

By Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Spokeo staff and other customers.

4 Photos for Spokeo