Review of Spokeo

Tel: 1-877-913-3088
support@spokeo.com

briana189
4/29/16

Had them taking payments from my account without authorisation. My bank called them with me on the line. Promised to refund last 2 payments and stop taking payments. That was December 2015. Never got the refunds and on 03/29/16 they took a further payment. Bank is dealing with them as I type. Unprofessional company that gets as close to criminal as you can without being prosecuted

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Brian,
We're sorry to hear about this and want to make sure you are helped with whatever questions or concerns you might have. You may have an active subscription on your account. Please call or email a member of our Customer Care team at your earliest convenience so we can assist you further. They can be reached at 888-906-0850, or email CustomerCare@spokeo.com.
dans154
4/29/16

No searches come up with viable information to be used, just asks for more money to continue. Your basic on-line RIP-OFF. Basically fraud. No info is current or accessible.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Spokeo Customer,
Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by Name, Reverse Email, Reverse Phone or Username. Our database covers a multitude of social networks, public records, marketing lists and more to reveal demographic details, public profiles, etc. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience so we can assist with any questions or concerns you might have.
claired30
4/28/16

I was in the process of signing up, email, password etc and hit the sign up button and it came up saying my account has been cancelled!! WTF I didn't even get the chance to sign up and I was still charged.
I tried calling several times and it said call back on their normal business hours...It says all over the site 24/7 customer service, someone is always available. I just want to make sure my account really is cancelled because if they screw up this much in the beginning I want nothing to so with them. Definitely going to my bank and fighting whatever charges come through

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Claire,
Please contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience so we can assist with any questions or concerns you might have.
dannyj18
4/24/16

After failing to get ANY information on the number I was looking up, I looked up my THREE phone numbers, which I have had for 6 years and OVER 10 YEARS, respectively.
THEY HAD INACCURATE INFORMATION ON ALL THREE and in fact, didn't even come WITHIN 20 MILES of ANY address I've ever had in those 10 years.
No name, no other information.
SPOKEO is a JOKE! You may keep and enjoy my 95 cents for my "trial period".
I am cancelling my account after only 1 hour. Way to do business boys.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Danny,

Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by Name, Reverse Email, Reverse Phone or Username. Our database covers a multitude of social networks, public records, marketing lists and more to reveal demographic details, public profiles, etc. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience.
johns1258
4/14/16

I kept getting a call from a cell phone number. Never left message, nobody on the line the couple times I answered. So I decided to find out who it was. After doing a free number search
with Spokeo the result gave me the impression they had some background information on the number. So I paid the $1.95 and basically got the same limited information I got in the free search. A email to there customer service got me nowhere and all I can do is warn people don't be surprised if you just waste $1.95.
I did request a refund and Spokeo did process a refund for $1.95 and offered a free search.
So I will give them credit for decent customer service.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear John,
lynnd42
4/12/16

I did a $.95 search and ended up being billed for $19.95 for a Premium non refundable subscription for one month...Stay away from this company.

Update: Spokeo Refunded my $19.95 but They did not do so until I left a bad review. When I first called just hours after I was billed, I was told there would be no refund. But I will give them credit for resolving the issue...

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Lynn,

misseyp
3/25/16

Not enough information outdated information

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Missey,

maryj165
3/23/16

So bad, a total scam!!!!!!! Useless information. Most of which is either highly outdated or just outright not accurate! STAY AWAY....FAR FAR AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Mary,

johno89
3/18/16

I opted for a .95 trial for one record, then they added other services and said I siggned up for them. I called same day of trial and cancelled. Guess what, they only cancelled 1 of the services I signed up for. I thought I only signed up for 1 service? Anyway, month later, charge comes through. I called and said I cancelled the service. They said you only canceled the one service, the other was still active! I never signed up for other services! I was so unhappy with the trial I canceled same day, why would I want other services that don't deliver? If I called to cancel, it was for anything and everything that should be in their record. I feel bad fo all the people who get charged after the free trial is cancelled. If anyone is interested in a class action suite against this company, please comment below. If we get enough people, they will have to stop these deceptive practices!

Tip for consumers: Thanks for the reply. I cancelled the account the same day! Your response did not mention that instead inplied I did not cancel. I have a confirmation email of my cancellation. What I did not receive or even know to cancel was an additional serice that I did not request was added without my understanding. I kept very good notes and screenshots to cover my tracks. I am not at all happy with the way SPOKEO "upsells" without a users knowledge.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear John,
I'm sorry for any misunderstanding and certainly wish to help resolve the issue. When you signed up you selected our Single Search with Premium Trial plan, which provided you with an initial $0.95 Single Record as well as additional free Premium access for 7 days. As long as the trial is cancelled within 7 days, the account does not continue. Because your trial was not disabled within 7 days, a recurring subscription fee began to charge. Accounts of this type automatically renew if left active to prevent any service interruption. We try to make this very clear by detailing this on our payment page, including it in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. I do apologize again if this was unclear in any way. Please feel free to contact us at 888-906-0850 if you have any questions or concerns regarding this matter.

bobc83
3/12/16

I tried my own number, which I've had for a little over 6 years now. Literally everything they gave me about that number was wrong. According to the results, the owner of the phone was in a completely different state than me, and was a BMX racer who died over a decade ago.

This is a quote from the site about the so-called results-
"CAUTION: Spokeo uses proprietary deep web technology to search over billions of phone records. The results may contain detailed information that might shock you, so please prepare yourself for the unexpected."

"Unexpected" indeed.

The best part, is that every single negative review on this site gets a response from a rep in the company that is pretty much the same thing repeatedly, an apology and a sad excuse that it is simply a program that searches a wealth of information on the web and has no human interaction, and therefore may not be accurate. However- even excluding the last 2 digits in the same phone number returns on both a google search and Bing search gives at least one accurate thing about me.

If the site can't even come close to competing with an awful search engine such as Bing, it has no right to boast any useful utility in the world now. Maybe ten years ago, sure, but the way things have grown make this to be a really pointless site that just steals money.

P.S: I hope the same rep tries to give me the same copy-and-pasted response.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Bob,
We're sorry you feel this way. At Spokeo we strive to give our customers the best experience possible. As stated on our website, we are a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Our information comes from various sources located within the Public Domain such as public record data, surveys, and social data (that has not been deemed private). Spokeo makes this information more easily accessible for people to research themselves or others, and sometimes that information is not always up to date. I sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding, and any inconvenience this experience has caused. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this matter, we kindly ask that you contact us directly by calling 888-906-0850, or email CustomerCare@spokeo.com.

jackb165
3/10/16

You pay for the membership fee of whatever, 14.95$ and you're given about as basic info as you'd get from a google search. Then to find out anything else, it's a whole host of other fees tacked on. Wanna see social media? Another 5.95. Oh want to see court records? Another 9.95. Oh how about marriage certificates. That'll be another 4.95. By the time you have all the info you want you've spent 200$ and I'm sure the info you get out of that is worthless too. Awful. Awful. Awful. I'll never fall for one of these stupid scam sites again.

UPDATE:
I like how the response from the website itself has absolutely nothing to do with what I said in my review as well, shows how awesome they really are. The fact that they would even respond with a bot or whatever speaks volumes. Unbelievable. Scam scam scam. Shut your garbage site down spokeo.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Jack,
kimm40
3/7/16

I checked myself on spokeo and a couple other people who I am current on their actual address and contact info and the information I received back on myself was way off. Old phone numbers. Many numbers I never had. Places I lived wrong. It isn't current, it showed me living in an area I lived five years ago. It showed my ex husband as living where I live now. it lists wrong people as relatives. As far as my friends I checked out too the same applied to them as well. It's a rip off.?not worth the money

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Kim,
I understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this issue. Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by Name, Reverse Email, Reverse Phone or Username. Our database covers a multitude of social networks, public records, marketing lists and more to reveal demographic details, public profiles, etc. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person.

stuarts39
3/5/16

Do one search and they tell you afterwards about automatic renewal!!!

Then they tell you they will refund 3 months and only provide a portion each month!!!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Stuart,
We make all charges and the automatic renewal process clear on the Spokeo purchase page by including it in the acknowledgment which must be agreed to before the purchase can be processed. This information is also included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us by calling 1-888-906-0850, or emailing CustomerCare@spokeo.com
mikel188
3/4/16

Pretends it is $4.95/mon as if you can get one month - would be reasonable. Then you get a bill for $29.70 and it claims a min of 6 month. Stupid company. Look at the 1-stars (if I could give negative, I'd give negative 5). No matches of any worth whatsoever on the one email I was looking for -- I'd pay $5 for a decent piece of info and re-use the site if it did THIS. But the scam they are using? I hope they all go broke and to jail.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Mike,
Spokeo does not originate or create data, so our data reflects that of the original sources. Spokeo does not guarantee data accuracy, and the data should only be used as a reference. We are, however, constantly working to expand and improve the data available on on our site. You have the option of opting out/removing the listing through our privacy page at: http://www.spokeo.com/privacy. Please feel free to contact our customer care at CustomerCare@spokeo.com or by calling 1-888-906-0850 for more information or if you have trouble with the opt out.
angelah63
3/3/16

Spokeo automatically renews your subscription and does not give you the option to unsubscribe prior to the renewal date. I saw a pending charge on my credit card today and called them and asked to have the charge removed and discontinue my subscription. I was told I would be charged today but then in 6 months I would not be charged again. I asked them to credit the charge because I did not need the service and was told that was not possible.

What they fail to say is that you can not find a way to deactivate your subscription. They have that feature so buried in their website for a reason! I never did find it, and had to call them.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Angela,
We understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this issue. Spokeo subscriptions are set to automatically renew if left active to prevent any service interruption. We make this very clear by detailing this on our payment page, including it in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. I do apologize again if this was unclear in any way.

jenniferp94
2/25/16

Again, another dissatisfied customer! Used this service once! Got dinged more than once. Did NOT sign up for it.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Jennifer,
I'm sorry for any misunderstanding and certainly wish to help resolve the issue. In order for a Spokeo subscription to be created, a user must navigate to our website at www.spokeo.com and either click on the "Sign Up" button or perform a search and click on the "Get Full Results" button. The user would then be required to enter in a full 16 digit credit or debit card number along with the card's matching security code, cardholder name, card expiration date, card billing zip code, and enter a valid email address that becomes the username associated with the account. Once this information has been entered, the Terms of Use agreement must be checked and agreed to and then the "Purchase" button must be hit. Once these actions are completed and the information is verified as valid and matching, the user must then fill out a brief survey and set an account password to begin using the subscription. A purchase confirmation receipt is also sent to the account's email address. Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions or concerns.

rainbown
2/10/16

WHAT A JOKE!!! I signed up for a special "3 months for $9.95 membership". When i got the receipt i discovered that they had charged me $59.70. First of all, the only info I was given was birth month, year, zodiac sign and ethnicity. All of which is useless and already known. When I clicked the "full report" tab they wanted me to pay more money to see it. I then called customer service and they refused to refund my money even though i didn't get what was advertised. After arguing with them and asking for a supervisor they finally said they would refund $44.78. That means they still charged me $14.92 when it was only supposed to be $9.95 for the entire membership. What a scam!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Rainbow N.
We understand your concern and want to assist in resolving this issue. Spokeo is a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. When someone signs up for one of our services, the payment page will display a price much like the one you saw at $9.95. This is actually the average amount it would cost to use Spokeo's services on a monthly basis. The details of exactly how much someone will be billed is displayed in our Terms of Use disclaimer. In your case, for example, it states that you would be billed $59.70. We apologize for any misunderstanding, and for the inconvenience this experience has caused.
larryk40
2/10/16

Sounds simple. Give us your credit card # and $0.95 and do a search. A few weeks later your card gets debited $19.95! No email, No Warning. If you don't catch it they will continue to do monthly debits from your card. Spokeo is one Internet site where you better read the Terms of Service! Just another internet ripoff. Is it any wonder why people are getting gun shy of Internet businesses? Businesses like Spokeo prey on people that don't pay attention to details and skim over TOS's. If they were to openly state that your search will cost you $0.95 plus $19.95 billed to your card monthly, how many people do you think would use it? Very deceitful.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Larry,
lor2440
2/6/16

I know I should read fine print more carefully, but this kind of stealthy Internet THEFT should really be illegal. The $20/month that AUTOMATICALLY kicks in after you do a single search for $0.98 should be BLASTED IN NEON LIGHTS for those of us with failing eyesight. These people should ashamed of the worthless "service" they "provide" to scam fools like me.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Lo R.

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding and certainly wish to help resolve the issue. When you signed up you selected our Single Search with Premium Trial plan, which provided you with an initial $0.95 Single Record as well as additional free Premium access for 7 days. As long as the trial is cancelled within 7 days, the account does not continue. Because your trial was not disabled within 7 days, a recurring subscription fee began to charge. Accounts of this type automatically renew if left active to prevent any service interruption. We try to make this very clear by detailing this on our payment page, including it in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. I do apologize again if this was unclear in any way. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience.

The Spokeo Team
al19777
2/2/16

I paid to find out who called me. All Spokeo gave me was the town the call came from. I already knew THAT! I can tell by the area code and first 3 numbers where it came from. I wanted to know WHO called me. It said no other information was available. WASTED MY MONEY!

Tip for consumers: Dont use this site

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear A L.,
We understand your concerns and wish to assist in resolving this issue. Please allow me to explain about Spokeo. We are a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Our information comes from various sources located within the Public Domain such as public record data, surveys, and social data (that has not been deemed private). Spokeo makes this information more easily accessible for people to research themselves or others, and sometimes that information is not always up to date. I sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding, and any inconvenience this experience has caused. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience.
pamelav6
1/19/16

I HAVE BEEN A LOYAL CUSTOMER WITH SPOKEO FOR TWO YEARS HOWEVER I HAVE PAID ALOT OF MONEY AND I WAS PROMISED A FULL PACKAGE WITH UNLIMITED SEARCHES THEY KEPT CHARGING MY CARD FOR EVERY SINGLE THING SEPARATE CHARGE FOR NSME SEARCH, Address search, Email search and never have I gotton email address marriage records"NEVER" I called spokeo and I asked them to kindly reimburse me or give me what I paid for mind you O have paid spokeo literally over $300
Pamela

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Pamela,
We understand your concerns and wish to assist with this issue. Please allow me to explain regarding Spokeo. The website is designed to keep Spokeo memberships at the lowest possible price, we enable users to purchase only the products they need. When you need additional product(s), they will be available as Product Add-ons to enable more advanced search features only when you need them.​ This way, users can customize their subscriptions in any way they see fit, whereas in the past, if someone wanted to upgrade you had to purchase the whole thing. I apologize for any misunderstanding or inconvenience this issue has caused. Please feel free to contact a member of Customer Care at 888-906-0850 should you have any further questions or concerns regarding our services.
jameelab
1/16/16

I have used this service twice and didn't find out anything. It is a rip off. DO NOT GIVE THEM A CREDIT CARD NUMBER.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Jameela,

We want to make sure that your experience with Spokeo Customer Care is a positive one. We would like to thank you for addressing your concerns, and are happy to assist in resolving this issue. We are a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Our information comes from various sources located within the Public Domain such as public record data, surveys, and social data (that has not been deemed private). Spokeo makes this information more easily accessible for people to research themselves or others, and sometimes that information is not always up to date. We sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding, and any inconvenience this experience has caused. Please give a member of our Customer Care team a call at 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. We are more than happy to help!

Sincerely
Spokeo Customer Care
marya587
1/12/16

I did a reverse phone number lookup to find out who keeps calling me and not leaving a message. This has been going on for several months. I am glad I signed up for one report for $0.95 and 7 day free trial offer.....which I have already cancelled.

The report, which was according to Spokeo was going to give me name. address, owner's e-mail, etc came back with UNKNOWN as the answer to each item.
Rip-off is the only way to describe Spokeo!!!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Mary,
We understand your concerns and are happy to assist in resolving this issue. Please allow me to explain about Spokeo. We are a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Our information comes from various sources located within the Public Domain such as public record data, surveys, and social data (that has not been deemed private). Spokeo makes this information more easily accessible for people to research themselves or others, and sometimes that information is not always up to date. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. We're happy to help.
cynthiak15
1/8/16

I join Spokeo and wanted more info so I paid for an upgrade . It's has never worked. When I call them they say it's working on our end. I'd called several times, I've email them. I still don't get my upgrade I paid for.

Cynthia Konarski

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Cynthia,
We understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this issue. Please call Customer Care at 888-906-0850 so we can assist you with your subscription issues.
tinam72
1/4/16

I payed for their premium services for over 3 months, I never ONCE found it to be WORTH the money they charge, It should be removed along with Intellus, and uspeoplesearch and all those others like Beenverified.com is also another TERRIBLE ONE.

Public records are technically free just google "How to find *states* Public Records" for a good start xD

Tip for consumers: 90% of any data you find will typically be outdated, plus they will claim to have info they do NOT ever have, the sites I listed in my review also do the same, and spy fly does too.. though all those sites share one info data base I swear.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Tina,
We understand your concern and wish to help resolve this issue. We’re so sorry to hear that you weren't able to find what you were looking for. Spokeo does not originate or create data, so our data reflects that of the original sources. Spokeo does not guarantee data accuracy, and the data should only be used as a reference. We are, however, constantly working to expand and improve the data available on on our site. We want to make sure that you are helped, so please contact our Customer Care team at CustomerCare@spokeo.com or by calling 1-888-906-0850 and explain your concerns.
Spokeo

Watch for the $20 charge at the end of the month. They say a person is out, then the charge comes a month later. Had to cancel my card and get new # to keep them out of my wallet.

By Rich C.

inform your visa provider,they should stop the payments and get you a refund from when you cancelled the account.It worked for me as visa said they had numerous complaints about Spokeo.Hope you sort it out!

By frank b.

By Rich C.

Call them and cancel asap

By Erica k.

By Rich C.

I cancelled Spokeo service due to selling me misinformation or inaccurate information. I got this in writing from David at Spokeo. They are good about sending a letter about we are sorry about not meeting your expectations. Our terms of use states we can do this blah blah blah. After I cancelled this subscription and got this in writing from David, I got a new debit card from my bank. Spokeo found the NEW CARD and charged it. I took the problem to my bank and got a credit. Be very careful of these people, watch your bank statements.

By John H.

When you sign up for the special you are also signing up for a biz site. If you cancel Spokeo you must cancel both.

By Jim R.

Elias, query "spokeo lawsuits" on google. There have been numerous cases on this group. Spokeo..........if you are reading these complaints, I am wondering how you manage to get around the charge backs and still have a credit card company that works with you.

By John H.

Hello Darlene, I understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this matter. Please allow me to explain about Spokeo. We are a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Our information comes from various sources located within the Public Domain such as public record data, surveys, and social data (that has not been deemed private). Spokeo makes this information more easily accessible for people to research themselves or others, and sometimes that information is not always up to date. I sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding, and any inconvenience this experience has caused. Please feel free to contact me by phone at 888-906-0850, or via email at CustomerCare@spokeo.com should you have any further questions or concerns regarding this issue. All the best, Spokeo Customer Care

By Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative

Dear Frederick, Thank you for reaching out to us. For questions regarding your Spokeo Subscription, please contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. We are available 24/7 and happy to help with any questions or concerns you might have. Sincerely, Spokeo Customer Care

By Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Spokeo staff and other customers.

4 Photos for Spokeo