Review of Ancestry.com

Provo, UT 84604, US
Tel: +1-800-778-7879

conniev28
6/2/19

If you have a family with just one member, this would be great. But if not, you have to have a separate account for each person in your family. Imagine the cost! And they make it very difficult to stop or cancel.

nicks339
5/27/19

I got charged twice this month for the so-called "free trial", the fee is 145.10$, put it twice and you get 290.20$. In my bank account, I had 4.49$ and it says -285.71$ ! ! ! The day after, I called ancestry.ca to get my full refund from this FRAUDULENT free trial add, the lady told me it will take 3 days for me to get my refund and cancel my free trial subscription, she gave me a cancellation confirm number in my email. I am still waiting for my refund. I am extremely angry and shocked ! >:(

barbarah109
5/21/19

I want to take my whole tree someplace else. It all gets messed up and so called "experts" don't help you. Their answers are things I have already tried and don't work. Sometimes the whole tree disappears. It's confusing and awful to work with. Changing a relationship involves selling your right arm. So fed up. I am quitting it in about 3 weeks when my subscription runs out. I will find some other software that is more pleasing to work with.

brittanym138
5/16/19

Classic "free trail" scam. They bait you with a "free trial"- you sign up for it, even put on your calendar to cancel if you don't need it anymore but oh wait- when you try to cancel Nobody answers you back. You get a ticket with a number, and they conveniently forget to contact you back until after you're charged.
But if you're smart like me- you call, they put you on hold for over 30 minutes. I don't know about you guys, but I have a job that I can't just sit on hold. So I called twice, filled out the contact form email like 4x,(to have it in writing with a date), no response.
When they charged my account, I called them on it! Now they're STILL digging into - not knowing my email address or any of my information. I find it HILARIOUS that they charge me for $10 for literally nothing, no services offered-, but they "can't find" my email address or the billing address or the the last 4 digits of my credit card. How do even charge somebody with no billing address? Liars! Don't do it! It's not worth it! I hope someone shuts them DOWN!

lt137
5/15/19

They keep charging my credit card. I call the automated line to cancel and they claim they don't have a my credit card on file. I have disputed the charges 3 times with my credit card company. IMPOSSIBLE to get a hold of a live person -- most of the time the phone number goes to a fast busy. Now on their site is says

"The Ancestry support line is currently experiencing intermittent service interruptions. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause and appreciate your patience as we work to resolve the problem as quickly as possible." Sent 2 live chats no response.

marim44
4/17/19

Ancestry.com DNA results didn't match results two other companies, who did DNA test very well. Ancestry.com DNA result is very General and shows very high Eastern European ethnicity WITHOUT ANY breakdown, and shows map with a few dozens of countries without any specific percentage for each of them, including many Western European and Asian countries on the same map, It's pathetic! I contacted three times this company asking to correct or re-take the test, or issue refund, but they NEVER responded.

philh123
3/14/19

Very basic information on your gene. And IMPOSSIBLE TO LOG IN...HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD EACH TIMES. DO NOT WAIST YOUR MONEY AND TIME WITH THOSE SNAKE OIL SELLERS. STAY AWAY,

clairec131
3/13/19

Absolutely awful.
Signed up for the two week free trial and expected to be charged £19.99 a month after that. So to my horror £99.99 was pending from PayPal account I phoned PayPal to cancel the transaction and they also suggested I also phone Ancestry to get confirm the refund. So I call the helpline to be on hold for over 45 minute. I do understand that volumes of calls can be high and that the lady on the phone was very helpful and did confirm the refund and apologised for their fault. The problem I do have is that a few days later I received a message from my phone provider. There is additional charges of £96.59 for calling ancestry. At NO POINT of me being on hold did any of the recorded messages state anything about being charged per minute for the phone call. I would like to think ancestry would do something to rectify this issue as if it wasn't for their mistake in the first place I would not of had to call them.

herbf12
3/11/19

I was given an Ancestry DNA kit as a Christmas gift in December of 2018. As instructed in the directions, I registered the kit on an account I opened and mailed the kit in the first week in January 2019.

I never heard back about the progress or receipt by Ancestry so I call them on 2/6/19. I spoke to a customer service rep named Matt. After a half hour of fumbling and lack of knowledge, Matt finally located the kit number I provided. He told me that Ancestry personnel had entered my email address incorrectly on his end. He said it was an error on their part and could not be corrected because of the way their program was designed. So he said he would mail me a new kit. We doubled checked the shipping information to
make sure they had the correct name and address.

On 2/11/19, not having received the kit, I called again and spoke to Brenda. She told me it would take 7 to 10 days to receive it. I gave her the original kit number and asked her to check the date Matt mailed it out. As before, after about 30 minutes of being put on hold and fumbling back and forth, she told me she couldn't find any record of it being sent. Once again I gave her all the shipping information and she said she would send out a replacement kit that same day.

On 2/25/19, guess what. Still no kit received. I called again and spoke to Crystal. Another 30 minutes or so, after explaining everything again, Crystal told me they had no record of a kit being sent to me. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Crystal balked, but put me on hold until one was available. Another 15 minutes went by and Crystal was back telling me the
supervisor was still busy, but she would send another kit out. We carefully went over the shipping details. She said it would be shipping that day and after waiting another 5 to 10 minutes she provided me a confirmation number.

Today is 3/11/19. Yup you are correct, still no kit. I called again today hoping I would be able to talk to a supervisor. The recording said there would be at least a 30 minute wait to speak to a customer rep. I had other things to do.

By the way, I gave all this information to Ancestry in an email survey. Gave them 1 star saying I would never recommend them to a friend. The automated survey responded to the 1 star and asked why. I explained it and have never heard back from them. Same zero response from an email I sent through their website to customer service.

luceyr
3/3/19

The site is awful. They offer you a 14 day free trial and then make it next to impossible to cancel. They hide how you can delete yourself from site. It's a total scam site.

donaldm279
2/21/19

The service is good, but the cancellation process is complex. It doesn't work with Google chrome. I had to get out an old Windows computer and use Internet Explorer to cancel. The telephone cancellation process doesn't work if you use Paypal. And the wait time for a customer service rep is very long.

And you have to navigate about 5 pages to even get to thre right cancellation option, and the pages obfuscate the options necessary to actually cancel.

shaunas24
2/14/19

I had a lot of information saved to my tree and it all disappeared! I'm extremely disappointed in this site and I would highly recommend using a different site!!!

cindyj112
8/10/18

This is probably the stupidest thing I ever purchased. The commercials are so deceiving; total lies. The only thing I got for $70 was stuff I already knew. It was basically a stinking pie chart of what percentages i was of each nationality. No personal details AT ALL Never ever buy this, not at any price. You can't even contact anyone to complain or get an explanation.

lynne135
4/21/15

BEWARE..They lie I signed up for a free trial. They said I didn't I canceled 3 days later and they still charged me $19.99. I could not view a document because I have windowsxp and can't afford a new computer at this time. The rep Bill was rude. I live on Soc. Sec. and my budge is very tight. I was trying to get to my late husbands DD214 form so I could send it to the VA. I believe I'm entitles to some benefits but can't do anything until I get the form.

mollys
7/9/13

ok... so the worst thing about it is it could give away ur adress city state and phone number to a complete stranger if u enter this information someone could know all the personal stuff about u. do not ever put any personal info on public websites, and this is just about the worst ever.

juliew15
5/28/13

This is again another money taker. You don't find anything about your long lost relatives that you couldn't find at a local court house. If there is something famous posted to a relative then you find it otherwise its another take your credit card and use it monthly and to cancel its a real pain. It appears that most of these sites that ask for money up front are ones to stay away from.

christopherp10
7/18/12

It would seem that Ancestory.com and MyLife are linked as they both have the same USA address and they both have BAD reviews, including mine on MyLife, which show that they are merely gathering information to either Spam or Scam

jw
9/8/09

removes funds from account without permission and will not give a refund!!

Questions? Get answers from the Ancestry.com staff and other customers.

1 Photo for Ancestry.com