Review of Geni

Tel: 13695836-1369
misconduct@geni.com

genealogye
1/1/19

Entered info that did not present accurately. Tried to undo. You CANNOT. Tried to make contact with geni, you CANNOT.

Tip for consumers: DON’T EVEN START THIS. CONTROL FREAKS AT THIS COMPANY.

Response from Michael S., Geni Representative
Hi Genealogy E, of course you can edit information that is entered incorrectly. I recommend you ask for help from our volunteer curators at the following discussion: https://www.geni.com/discussions/178003
pattik36
10/27/18

No way to edit mistaken relationships that I can see, this site is useless! I was just looking for another way to continue family research since I got disgusted with ancestry.com

Tip for consumers: do not waste your money or time

Response from Michael S., Geni Representative
Hi Patti, Geni is a massively collaborative shared family tree. The vast majority of information on our site is open for all to view and edit. We recommend users with questions or problems ask for help from our volunteer curators at the following discussion: https://www.geni.com/discussions/178003
tomj215
9/4/18

This is a RIP OFF company. I bought a subscription and then was unable to view my own grandfathers' records unless I paid more money!!! I called to complain and the 'Customer Service' Rep told me sorry, you don't get your money back. you have to pay , we are right, too bad lady. Third world country crummy service rip off artists. Stay away. Their 'records' are inaccurate anyway. I paid with Pay Pal and Pay Pal gave me my money back. Shame on your My Heritage.

Response from Michael S., Geni Representative
Hi Tom, I'm sorry you had this frustrating experience. I suspect what you saw are Record Matches from our parent company, MyHeritage, which are under a different subscription than our Geni Pro (they do different things). That said, we are very generous with our refund policy (managed out of California and Ireland, by the way) and if you would like to email us at subscriptions@geni.com we'd be happy to assist you.
dennism329
9/1/18

Gee!
You can join for free, but what do you get? NOTHING
in the free version they want all your hard earned information FOR FREE
if you have a question - you have to buy the PRO version, about $120.00 up front to ask.
if you want to contact anyone about more information, you have to but the PRO version
If you want to contact anyone, have to buy the PRO version.
And a lot of the information isn't reliable. A lot of the information is lick & stick, cut and paste. In the Sasser Family there are four set of parents for Howell Sasser.
REALLY?

In other words, you work for them for free and to get anything back, you pay them
I wonder how many people have fallen for, what appears to me as, this scam
but there are a lot of stupid people out there. We see that in every election this country has.

Response from Michael S., Geni Representative
Hi Dennis, I'm not sure where you're getting this information. You can contact other Geni members for free. You can ask for assistance from our curators for free, using the discussion at https://www.geni.com/discussions/178003 (it IS true that Pro users get priority support at help.geni.com)
lindas928
8/11/18

I've been connecting with many relatives through Geni and am very pleased with my experience. I started with the free version and upgraded to the Pro version after awhile. I also have a data subscription to My Heritage. I began my research with Ancestry but my grandparents all emigrated from Finland, and Ancestry, while good, didn't have as many Finns on the website. There are many on Geni and My Heritage. It's been rewarding for me!

christophers322
7/11/18

one day i check and i am related to someone famous, the next day, its through marriage only. This is happening more and more. THIS SITE IS CRAP!!!!

andrasz
4/29/18

I've been trying to contact the current manager of my family tree. I've left numerous messages with them about inaccurate information within our family tree; as well as new info to add to the existing family tree, which by the way, I am not included as being part of, despite my own valid identification and documentation. Does Geni actually care? Of course NOT!

marges17
4/27/18

Be careful before uploading your family tree to Geni because when you do there is no turning back. Geni don't care about users private info. How is this site LEGAL anyway? What about the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and customers right. As user you should have full control about what you upload including full right to have your uploaded information DELETED by the database and not stored forever.

Warning. If you choose to delete your account your user data WILL NOT be purged by the Geni database. They don't even tell you what info they keep when you are gone. It stays on...all the messages you've sent to other users will still be there and it is like being locked out from your account.

Response from Michael S., Geni Representative
Hi Marge, Geni is fully GDPR compliant. If you have concerns about privacy or your data on Geni you are invited to send us an email at privacy@geni.com and we'd be happy to help you.
angelinal10
4/19/18

By reading reviews I see this site is still corrupted as it was a few years ago. Geni.com does steal private date of living relatives, including your parents, your children, inlaws and more. ALL living and passed on relatives info and photos will be takened by the admins/curators and eventually passed on to others by them.They usually will bad the person with some random reason, take over ALL your profiles, keep your photos you upload, everything about you, your kids, your parents all now for their taking and sharing.
I'm really surprised nobody has done anything about this website yet, legally what they are doing seems wrong and almost identity theft because even if you don't use the site Im sure you will find your name on their somewhere with quite a bit of information on you and you can't even do anything about it.
My own photo and name and other info it on their, stolen from me and on their site, I have tried to contact support for help but got nowhere

Response from Michael S., Geni Representative
Angelina, I'm not sure what you think Geni is stealing? We're a collaborative family tree site; if your tree intersects with data already on Geni (provided by another user), our users can merge those trees together to work towards a single family tree of the world. We are fully GDPR compliant and if you have any concerns about your privacy or your data on Geni you are invited to email us at privacy@geni.com so we can assist you.
arcadiod
4/9/18

have never see such a bad website in all of the years I have been using the web. Terreble set up, can do anything right with it.

bridgettep3
1/3/18

A Geni user stole my PRIVATE info from a private email correspondence I had with him I NEVER gave him permission to share that info with ANYONE ! He used all of it and put it on his GENI page . This man is not related to my family.the info I gave him could NOT be found on a website ANYWHERE , until this shady man stole it !
Geni was notified that this compromises my familys safety , to date several months later , they have done NOTHING to rectify this!
STAY AWAY FROM GENI AND MYHERITAGE !!! SHADY COMPANY , THAT DOESNT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT YOUR PRIVACY !!

janed253
12/23/17

Although I do not subscribe to geni.com I noticed several errors in the data of one of my direct family members. When I contacted the volunteer curator to report the misinformation, I received a caustic, degrading reply in return. He expressed absolutely NO interest in checking into my concerns. If you are serious about obtaining accurate data about your family I would caution you to BEWARE of the information included in the trees on this site.

josei11
11/16/17

It is not accurate, found a lot of mistakes. Some people can add or leave things out. Specially if involves other families....some talk about DNA but that's all they know, 0steal information from private places, I can go on and on..i have sent countless proofs and everything else, and just got tired of it...and if your are paying, good luck..

michelles356
11/13/17

I have NEVER had anything to do with Geni.com. My tree is PRIVATE on Ancestry.com for a reason. Yet family photos which are definitely mine (the way they have been cropped as thumbnails, or I know I have the only copy) and data have made their way to Geni.com. I discovered this by doing a google search on an ancestors name on google at a friends suggestion. I am more than furious, as all my photos have come up in images which link back to geni.com. Deceased children are listed which no other living person knew about. How did they get access to Ancestry Private trees??!!!!!!

Tip for consumers: Stay away

michaell350
10/26/17

From my DNA test, it showed I had a lot of Scandinavian with some Iberian decent. Through using Geni search, it has taken me back to those connections though centuries ago. When I googled closer family ties, I received validation to part of my family tree; going from the American Revolution to Colnial Virgina into England, which I know is factual.
Thus far, I cannot condemn Geni due to at least 8 generations in America to be correct.

stenf2
7/26/17

Too exepensive. They kidnap the data of millions of people to make a profit, who will pay 120 dollars for a view of the family tree each year. Stay away people.

johnn1154
7/3/17

Very well done website! Cleaner look and better price than any of the other genealogy websites. My only concern is MyHeritage bought the website for the data, but then did not add more servers to keep up with the processing.

wi9532
7/3/17

MY TREE WAS ALSO STOLEN WITHOUT ASKING . and how I found out was through === ALL other sites sending me ALL of my pictures that only I had even pictures of my 2 brothers that died in the 30's and telling me that they had a match. I had been doing my tree for over 15 yrs. and it cost me a fortune and without asking they got all of my information for nothing. it completely destroyed me and I have never been on the site since.

Tip for consumers: do not use it at all

rashellec
5/26/17

I've contacted GENI about a user, Nancy D. Coon that has stolen all of my family photos from Ancestry.com and uploaded black and white copies to her trees on GENI with (my family). I never gave this person permission, I don't even know this person, over 30 profiles of photos so far that I've found have been taken of photos that either I, my parents or my grandparents took that all solely belong to me and I think that's absolutely ridiculous they cannot respond to such a gross violation of misconduct from one of their members.

Tip for consumers: I would advise against using this website it's managed poorly, trees are merged and unmerged and people added and you have a hard time getting control or moving things or getting things corrected. Not only that people steal your photos.

susanh242
5/1/17

I find it very interesting that Geni will take nearly any ancestor I attempt to search into infinity, and bring up a truckload of royals, not to mention, fables and myths. Then when I go back to check these so called Kings and Queens in my background with sites like Find a Grave and WikiTree, the search ends in two generations. Am I to believe that these other sites don't have access to the same long lines of nobles that Geni does? Or is Geni just one giant spoof? It was fun at first, but now that I see that I can not verify the information anywhere else, (except maybe MyHeritage,)I'm starting to see the light. MyHeritage results designated me as male, (I'm not), and said I had NO English, NO Scottish, NO Welsh, and NO Irish in my DNA. Funny how that works, since about 90% of my verifiable ancestors come from those countries. SMDH.

samk110
4/20/17

Site in outdated, overpriced, poorly engineered and laid out, unresponsive, and un-user-friendly, just to name a few issues with it. I accidentally forgot to cancel my trial period becasue I stopped using the site after one day. Came back after realizing I was charged over $100 and gave it a number of shots that only ever left me frustrated. The worst part is after you have a pro membership, they make you pay more money to view any records the site finds which makes the only functioning aspect of the site a total scam. Stay away from this garbage service

craiga16
3/6/17

I google my name periodically & found that we are deceased as per Geni.com. The only way I could contact this site was to ask for a job since there was no other way to contact them. They claim that they got the info from my cousin which is odd since she knows we are alive. My cousin told me her only genealogy search was on ancestry.com, so it appears that Geni stole info from them & didn't get it right. My brother & I have never used any genealogy sites. Now this incorrect info will probably remain on the internet even though Geni states that they will fix it. I hope family & friends don't get upset by this misinformation. Hopefully my Social Sercurity, Medicare, pension benefits are cut off because they think I'm dead.

barbz3
11/13/16

I thought I came from a very small family. Have no family members to ask, but since I've joined I now have a family of over 30,000 people I'm connected to. I have messaged with distant cousins from all over the world.

nathanielg13
10/21/16

I was impressed with the amount of information that you can obtain and share with others on geni. The interface is adequate and the overall website rivals other leading genealogy sites. Customer service is EXTREMELY great.

martb27
8/24/16

i am baned from geni.com cant participate in discution cant send receive messages

and all of from the best of some volonteer curator. custosmer service ist help at all so dont wasted your precious time if you got reported

RHngative blue blood french canadian noble family are not welcome on geni .the only purpose of this site is conect ppl that dont have family ancestry ....its a park ride for skyzophrenia enjoy GENI.COM a place you can enjoy Boer descent and bastardry and fictious genealogy and mormon hiding in jewish oligarchy
god is on geni lolll

Geni doesn't accept any critical comment about the site, the customerservice or the management. Geni has regarding that the mentality of North Korea! Every free user, paying user and even every curator who publish negative comment will be suspended and indefinitely blocked to work on Geni !

By Theo R.

You can't work with curators... One of them plagiarized my entire tree into the "World Family Tree" and is now telling me that it cannot be "undone"... And that I should just "deal with it"...

By David R.

Bubba - you sound like a paid employee of GENi. I have been doing research for years. I DO NOT include information that cannot be verified. Yes - Ancestry is barely better than this one, but at least the have a minimal type of security. They also sold Family Tree Maker to a company out of India. If you had some type of credit with FTM such as another download or transfer - its gone, the new owners will not acknowledge it. GENi is probably the biggest scam I have noticed since Billy Graham.

By Dennis M.

ask a curator or request in a curatordiscussion

By Theo R.

Questions? Get answers from the Geni staff and other customers.

Geni?