Review of Orbitz

Tel: 1 (844) 803-5576
2018 Customer choice award

thomasc550
4/17/19

Been using Orbitz for years. booked a flight from Tulsa to Orlando. System auto populated JAcksonville to Orlando. One leg was with Spirit Airlines. Spirit's policy is no cancellation refund.

I immediately saw the error right after booking and tried for over 3 hours to get it corrected.

Orbitz isn't allowed by Spirit to cancel. Couldn't get through to Spirit, Orbitz offered to call, but all Spirit would do is issue a voucher good for 60 days, less a $40 change fee. I have no reason to ever fly Spirit, so the voucher is useless. Cost of this error that Orbitz refuses to take responsibility for if $594

To their credit, Orbitz suggested I call a Corporate Rep tomorrow morning. We'll see what they do if anything.

This is my last time booking with Orbitz. Also, stay away from Spirit Airlines!

malias4
3/29/19

Their "travel insurance" is a scam. You WILL lose your entire trip plus the travel insurance cost if you have to cancel. We can to cancel due to medical reasons and still couldn't get a refund.
Joke.

moheibf
3/18/19

I book round trip flight and I made insurance on it , I had emergency I called them according to the insurance policy They had gave my money back , they refuse to pay a penny I lost the whole price of the ticket plus insurance.

toyas3
2/21/19

First of all, Orbitz doesn't even deserve a star period!! But unfortunately I have to give a rating. I have never purchased a flight without travel insurance (because anything can happen) whether through another travel site or straight through the airline. So when I purchased two $292 dollar tickets back in September 2018 and the $40 per person insurance, I just KNEW my purchase would be protected. Unfortunately with Orbitz, if you cancel your flight for any reason other than a medical emergency (has to be documented), death, jury duty or anything like that, you will not get refunded. Plus the fact that I purchased AA flights (which charges a $200 per ticket restocking fee upon cancellation) made matters even worse.

So after an hour on the phone with a representative and then their supervisor, it was agreed upon that I would at least get the $92 per person back (provided I purchase two tickets again on the same airline with the same person within a years time) because this was my first time using Orbitz and I guess they were empathetic this particular time. Well, today I call to redeem my $92 per person using AA for my boyfriend and I and I was greeted with the same foolishness!! Again, I had to talk with a supervisor, explain what I had previously been told and this fool tells me that because I'm trying to book basic economy for this flight instead of the original main cabin I had booked back in September, I wouldn't be able to use the $92 per person credit because AA doesn't allow downgrades.

The level of DISGUST & DISDAIN I have for ORBITZ is astronomical!! I hate this company with every fiber of my being!! I lost over $600 on that flight purchase back in September after saving for 3 months for those tickets. They have no empathy for hard working individuals. This company is disgusting. Then the supervisor has the NERVE to tell me that if I purchase the tickets, and something happens where I have to cancel the flight, the exact same scenario will likely occur. I can't with this company. Please, please, please, heed this warning and DO NOT PURCHASE AIRLINE TICKETS FROM ORBITZ OR AMERICAN AIRLINES!! You will be sorry. TRUST!!??

michaels2050
2/8/19

Found out that eaven though i had bought a ticket with orbitz to travel with american my wife and I were actualy traveling stand by. I had to cancel a trip that I had purchased the 45.00 dollar insurance for through orbitz found out the emengency I had did not qualify My guess is that is most often the case. Dont buy the insurance and dont use orbitz they will not help

lorienm
2/7/19

First I reserved this car through Orbitz and the total was $162 then when I actually picked up the car it was going to be $534 and after I drop the car off and got back to the States 4 days later they charged a $200 deposit for a total of $734. When I called and asked they said," you signed for $534 we can't charge any more than that. " First they said they would credit the deposit back during the next billing cycle then by the end of that conversation they said, no they didn't owe me any money back. Then they just acted like they couldn't understand my English all together so I hung up and called the corporate office in Mississippi. I spoke to a woman who assured me that she would file a complaint and somebody would get back up with me. 5 days later I hadn't heard from anybody so I called again and filed another complaint with someone else, never heard from her either. It's been 2 weeks since I dropped the car off no one has bothered to call me back and they have not returned my $200 deposit. So I've paid $734 for a rental car that I was told would be $162 before I went to pick it up. I should have read the reviews before I book the car. This place is a nightmare, they're frauds and scam artists. If Orbitz doesn't know any better in advance that this is the way this place runs they shouldn't be using them on their website as an option.

thomasd118
1/4/19

I would never use Orbitz again. Especially for international travel from the United States. Booked a car rental here in Lima, Peru. They did not even have my reservation. I had to call Orbitz to get my money back. I missed my beach function because of this and my hotel reservation. I highly recommend use expedia i have never had a problem with them before. Do not use Orbitz they are scam artists.

jcj11
12/19/18

I purchased a vacation package in advance for the price and assurance for August 2019 from Washington DC to Cancun for 3 adults and 7 years old and 2 month old. Since I had my two kids which included the 2 month old, I made sure to purchase non-stop flights both ways even though one stop flights were cheaper. This morning, several weeks after the purchase, I got an email from Delta saying my inbound non-stop flight had been split into two separate flights making my 3 hour flight to a 10 hour flight with a stop in between. I called Orbitz who blamed Ameromexico; Ameromexico blamed Delta and Delta blamed Orbitz for selling a flight which was not there to begin with and described the sale as a bait-and-switch.

So, I called Orbitz again and they would not take responsibility, forget about helping their customer in some way. They kept on offering me canceling the flight and getting me a full refund which Delta would have done it without any objection as the flight interrupted by more than 90 minutes. Orbitz failed to take responsibility for selling me a package and not standing behind it. Now, the new direct flight had gone up where I had to pay additional $500 if I were to buy a different direct flight. After going through hoops and speaking to 5 different reps and managers, Orbitz finally transferred me to their corporate office at my continuous demand where I spoke with Marline (One of the managers) who at first had the same answer "it's not us, it's the airline and I have no control over what they do". However after staying in line with her for an hour and explaining my situation, I believe she finally came to terms that I was ripped off and offered to split the extra cost that I would have to pay to buy a new direct flight. After spending so much time and energy, I took that offer and called it a day as I had drained all my energy. I bought new direct flight with her and she cancelled the Delta flight but guess what??? It takes up to 8 weeks for me to get my refund; drama never ends. Been buying vacation package with Orbitz and Travelocity for years but this was one the worst incident and example of an awful business practice as well as dreadful customer service- time to wake up Orbitz.

gracea78
10/27/18

The Orbitz treats its frequent flyers with special consideration. Their bonus points at time gives you a full ticket too. That's why I prefer traveling with Orbitz.

tylerv20
10/18/18

The Orbitz give the clients the best promotions. The more you travel with them, the more royally you will be treated. I got one free ticket just because of their amazing promotions.

renatoc12
10/8/18

I have recently purchased a non-refundable Lufthansa ticket for 3 adults from Brazil to Japan, via Frankfurt. Orbitz did not mention that seats reservation are paid with Lufthansa. More than that, the site accepted my seats reservations for all legs of my trip. I have a print of my reservation with seats reserved and a BIG advice: "your reservation is booked and confirmed. There is no need to call us". Surprisingly, a few days latter I entered in the Lufthansa site and NO SEATS WERE RESERVED!!! The company says that the seats were initially reserved, as I said but, as NO PAYMENT WAS DONE those reservations were cancelled!!! In other words, I´ve paid for a non-refundable product and received a different one. To keep what I paid for, I have to pay an additional fee to the airliner Otherwise, I can just risk a very long trip in family without seats reservation. Very bad experience with the duo Orbitz/Lufthansa. Just one more comment: contacting Lufthansa in Brazil, Barbara (the Lufthansa employee) said that I should not have used Orbitz, because only their web site informs everything properly

normana50
9/9/18

Orbitz SUCKS, Booked Flight, Hotel & Car Via Orbitz. Had a four night stay in Flagstaff A.Z @ Quality Inn.Had to leave after 2 days , The room was just dirty. Front desk told me to get refund from Orbitz. Just getting run around from Orbitz. They said they paid hotel all ready. Hotel refuses to refund me. Informed manager will be back in 1 week ????. What Bull $#*!. Orbitz basically told me I am screwed for the 2 days. Use Hot wire. Or Hotels.com.Got really tired talking to third world rep from Orbitz. Who's English sucked also.
9/9/18

sonjav7
8/22/18

I called Orbitz to cancel a leg of my trip and change a flight. They quoted me $534 to change tickets that I only paid $538 for. They wanted $100 for each leg I was changing and the full cost of a new ticket. I would never ever use Orbitz again,

josephp273
8/11/18

If a company gives you a good deal and then recommends insurance to protect your deal you have orbitz. A company that makes up for its its bargains by not honoring its insurance. When I get back to Washington I will be in my congressman and senators office demanding this company face fraud. DO NOT USE ORBITS. Spend the extra money right away and deal with real companies that cares. If everything goes perfect this company is still no bargain. If it doesn't go perfect and you need there help it's the worst customer service on planet earth. Run.

michaelc1133
8/9/18

Another one star for this company (A zero if I could) which is a bait and attract scheme. I booked a room through Orbitz and did not receive an email regarding the price which was listed on line for $101.00. When I checked into a room, the hotel said that I would receive a bill through Orbitz and because I booked through them the hotel could not confirm the price. When I came home from my trip, I received a bill on my credit card for $194.88! Calling Orbitz, no one could speak English properly and I was told that the price goes up and down daily through them and the hotel that I booked. However, I called the hotel and they said that the room is offered by Orbitz for the low price at another date somewhere in never, never land future... and that the price quoted was NOT on the day that I wanted to stay! The hotel offered the AAA discount and Orbitz did not offer anything... saying that "Our prices already included the discounts!" They offered nothing. No refund, a real run around with nothing making any sense at all... mumble jumble by a foreign speaking agent. Bait and bill with misleading information to lure the customer into a false reservation. Like everyone else on this Orbitz site... beware of this company and be sure to leave your bad review and sooner or later the Better Business Bureau will stop this from happening to honest people. What a scam.

hirald5
6/1/18

Like many of you, even I had a very bad experience with Orbitz. I booked a refundable ticket on orbitz and airline denied to board the flight at the airport. On request for a refund orbitz gives an excuse that airline denies a refund. In reality, they are big CHEATS!!
Never ever book tickets on Orbitz. I prefer someone more genuine and reliable like Kayak.

wilsont21
5/24/18

Until you have to deal with their customer service agents everything is fine, but once you find out what an ordeal its to deal with them and how they lie to you after you talk to them you realise that this place is only good as long as you never run into a problem.

jasont200
5/22/18

Customer service is horrible twice they promised to call me back over issues. I waited 40 minutes to talk to someone in each case but no one called me back. Ended up giving up on trying to get my money back

rebeccag136
5/20/18

Never book a cancellation policy with orbitz. READ the fine print and you will see that the cancellation policies require an obscene amount of unreasonable paperwork that is denied through loopholes in the end. Even if you purchase the "cancel for any reason policy" there are still loopholes their company uses to get out of refunding you your money. It was awful. I was on the phone being transferred to various different departments for over 6 hours. In the end they said in order to get any kind of refund I had to go to a hospital, get seen by a licensed physician, submit insurance information, and if they decided that it was a "valid reason" by their standards, they would "consider" filing my claim for a refund. Even though I purchased a cancellation for any reason policy. THAT IS JUST RIDICULOUS!

Tip for consumers: Never book a cancellation policy with orbitz. READ the fine print and you will see that the cancellation policies require an obscene amount of unreasonable paperwork that is denied through loopholes in the end. Even if you purchase the "cancel for any reason policy" there are still loopholes their company uses to get out of refunding you your money. It was awful.

dougs140
5/9/18

I made reservations for a stay at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun in Cancun through Orbitz for the dates Dec 17, 2017 - Dec 22, 2017 . I realized immediately that the dates I chose were incorrect and called Orbitz. While making the reservation there was wording on one of the pages that said 48 hour cancel policy through Orbitz.

When I caught my error I called Orbitz and they said no problem just cancel the flights and call the resort and that it shouldn't be a problem. After Cancelling the flights, I called the next day and they told me they cannot cancel the room I would have to call the manager directly and that it should not be a problem. I cancelled the flights and called the resorts and the desk person told me I would need to call the manager and they were not there. I called 2 days in a row to next to catch the 48 hours and could not reach a Manager. I called Orbitz again and they called the resort and said they talked to their manager and the rooms could not be cancelled or changed. I asked about the 48 hour policy which was now expired and they told me that was for flights only and they conveniently failed to tell me this before the 48 hours was up. I cannot find the reference to this 48 policy anymore on their site. And to make it worse Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun has changed their policy to a 10 day cancellation notice..... They still won't budge... Orbitz now claims there is a 24 hour cancellation policy only applicable to airfare when I most recently spoke to them on the phone.

I tried to re-book the flights and they were filled up and the only flight available was very expensive. I called the resort again before the booking date and asked for help. I asked if I could change the reservation dates and was told I could not. I asked for fewer days with a penalty and they would not work with me. I asked Orbitz to change the dates or charge me a penalty. Between them and the hotel they were completely unwilling to help in any way. They took my $2400 and gave me NOTHING in return.

Discover Card supports their "policy" and will not dispute the case. I have called them and gave them all of the supporting documents and still nothing. Love the card, had it for 23 years, probably cancelling it.

Be very cautious and do your homework. It is very disturbing that we as consumers have to do our homework on big companies that we blindly feel like we can trust. Since then I've googled and found a staggering number of issues very similar to my own.

Google your travel company before you buy and consider buying direct!!

allenf40
5/7/18

You will never be able to unsubscribe. Use a dummy address or stay way. They will send multiple junk emails every day.

harryh43
4/30/18

I used Orbitz for a number of years. It was ok only. Prices were competitive, but I'd always wondered whether they were one of those websites who would display certain airlines first before everyone else or not include very many results from certain airlines because they didn't have any sort of backroom agreement. I never had a cancellation in my plans so can't validate all of these poor reviews. However, once I found Kayak, which seems pretty equal in showing the best fares, I abandoned Orbitz.

kathyd81
3/3/18

Customer service is outsourced to India. Agents are difficult to understand. They obviously cant understand us either as they inadvertently cancelled my flight and would not take responsibility. I will never use them again

betsyp6
2/14/18

I have been using Orbitz since 2008. In the beginning, they treated me really well. Even canceling flights and hotels was annoying, but the reps were kind and tried to help. A lot has changed.

Today I am resolving today to NEVER use Orbitz again. In the last year, I have found dealing with Orbitz customer service to be a nightmare. Ideally, of course, I would never need to call customer service, but when you have to, it's hard to find worse than Orbitz.

I just tried to cancel a round-trip flight which it turns out Orbitz booked as two one-way flights. Because of that, the airline wants me to pay 2x the cancelation fee. I don't think I should have to do that. I thought I was booking a one-way flightI booked it at the same time on the same airline and Orbitz presented it to me like a round-trip flight when I paid for it.

I talked to two customer service reps who did not speak to me like a human being or try to understand my problem or solve it in any way. They just read me their Delta handbooks and told me that I should be grateful that Orbitz did this to make the flight cost lower. Orbitz absolutely has the ability to mitigate the cancelation fee if they wanted. I booked two identical flights, and in the past they have helped me out in this way.

I've been sticking with Orbitz for a long time just out of habit and because they have all my info saved, but they aren't good any more. I think they're still helpful with cars and a mess with flights and hotels. And they certainly don't care about my loyalty, so there's no reason to stay. There have got to be better services out there (Southwest, which doesn't charge cancelation fees at all, comes to mind!). This service has jumped the shark.

malikar1
11/24/17

I booked my flight with Orbitz then they cancelled the flight but they refused to give me my money back its the worst experience ever

232 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Depends where you are flying from and where you are flying to

By Sue H.

Questions? Get answers from the Orbitz staff and other customers.

Orbitz?