Review of HarborFreight

Tel: 1-800-444-3353
taxsupport@harborfreight.com

anna133
4/11/19

Ordered a measuring wheel on March 30, item wasnt even sent to Fed Ex until April 4th. That is the first strike, using Fed Ex. That carrier SUX. Initially expected delivery, April 12? Good grief! Now, after DAYS of waiting for it to even ship, and more time for it to arrive, much later than their site states, delivery date expected now says Saturday, April 13. Harbor Freight has now shown they arent any more dependable than Fed Ex. No wonder they use Fed Ex, both have the same business practices. I wont ever order anything else from Harbor Freight. I have yet to receive the measure wheel so I dont know what I will end up with. If its anything like their shipping times or choices in shipping carriers, it will suck as well. I usually research a site for things such as this, and it never fails me, when I dont research, I end up with this kind of experience. In won't ever make that mistake again.

allenw53
4/1/19

I had been looking for a MIG welder for some time to do work on my antique car when I stumbled on a sale at Harbor Freight. Their website listed a Flux 125 welder by Chicago for $89.00 dollars. I thought this welder was a good deal since I had already bought an air compressor and vacuum pump that have provided very satisfactory service at sale
prices at their store but never bought from them online since past purchase items found on Harbor's website were always available at one of their stores but when I contacted their rep (there was a 10 minute wait) I was told that this item had to be ordered on line to get the sale price. The best sale price I could get at their store was $114.95 so I decided to order online.

There were two warehouse locations I could choose from California or New York, so I picked California because I'm closer and placed my order on Thursday March 14th During the conversation I was told that I would have to pay California sales tax in addition to the shipping charges even though I'm not a resident. This set off
a red flag because the California law based on the Supreme Court's decision South
Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc. wasn't to go into effect until April 1st, 2019. https://www.avalara.com/us/en/blog/2018/12/california-will-tax-sales-by-out-of-state-sellers-starting-april-1-2019.htm

I was told that HF had to collect this tax by law which struck me as somewhat odd because sales taxes of this nature have always required the physical presence of the purchaser. However CA law stipulates: "Businesses that were "engaged in business" (i.e., have nexus [over $100,000 in gross sales]) in California prior to April 1, 2019, could be held liable for taxes owed on those sales." Socialism costs money. Now by the time you add 7.25% CA sales tax along with shipping to the $89.00 sale item you owe $105.81 but still better than HF's store sale price of $114.99 plus 9.6% KS sales tax.

Order Confirmation

We have started processing your order and will send you an email when your order has been shipped. You can always check the status of your order by viewing the Order Status page in My Account. If calling Customer Service, please reference Invoice 4830507.

Shipping Method: Standard Ground

Shipping & Handling 6.99

Discount -25.00

Sales Tax 8.83

Order Total $105.81

I was told by the Harbor Freight rep.that I would receive a confirmation email 0n my order and another one when the item shipped. The confirmation email arrived promptly on the 15th of March but still no shipping notice by March 19th. Since delivery is promised in 5 to 7 business days from order placement I wanted to be sure it was shipped the following week.

I called the HF representative on Tuesday the nineteenth (another 10 minute wait) to inquire as to why they hadn't sent me a shipment notice. I was told that the item was shipped on Monday the eighteenth and that I would receive it by Friday March
22nd.

The item was coming by FEDEX which has been very reliable in past experience compared to UPS but did not show up on Friday the 22nd as I was told.

I discovered that Harbor Freight didn't charge for the item until the day after the item supposedly shipped which sent up another red flag.

03/19/2019

26541 AGOURA ROAD
805-388-1000
CA C#5135

(105.81)

On March 26, I went to the website to check on the order. To my surprise, the HF system said that the order was complete when I had not received the welder. I again contacted the HF rep to find out why the system was claiming the order was done.

After another 10 minute wait I was connected to a young lady in the customer assistance group named Aurora. I asked her why I had never gotten an email indicating that the item was shipped when the previous customer Rep. indicated that it was shipped on 3/18.

At first Aurora told me that my card had not been charged for the item but I was in my bank account at the time telling her that the charge was clearly listed. She put me on hold for a few minutes to do some checking elsewhere finally reporting that the item had not been shipped but was back ordered. So the company is putting items on sale that they don't have but we know that the individual stores carry the item because I could have gone to any number of Harbor Freight locations and bought a welder for $114,99 plus tax.

So this is another company ruse to get people to order sale items at a bargain price and then take3 to 6 months to fill them on back order.

I told the customer Rep. how unhappy I was with this practice. It was disingenuous
to offer an item for sale when you don't have it. So I requested that my order be cancelled and purchase price refunded to my card account. She said this would be done in 24 to 48 hours so by March 29th I would have the refund.

Her explanation as to why my order was not filled was that the company didn't realize that the item was out of stock until March 25th! So either we have some pretty stupid and careless people running the operation, the best example of the Peter Principle I've seen yet or this was a crazy attempt to increase business without inventory.

Aurora offered me a discount coupon giving me the number over the phone and telling me to contact Chad whom she called to confirm the arrangement. The coupon brought the flux welder store sale price down to $99.99 plus 9.6% Kansas sales tax reducing my cost to $109.59, just four dollars more than the original sale price and still a bargain.

On March 28, the money was returned to my account and I picked up the welder locally on a verbal coupon. I expect the welder to be the same high quality equipment that I bought from Harbor Freight in the past.

Overall I rate Harbor freight at about 3.8 stars for the extra effort they made in correcting a serious bungle in website sales. I never had a problem with their in store purchases.

03/19/2019

C#5135

(105.81)

jamese217
1/8/19

I like harbor freight. You can get decent tools there, cheap. Like the power planer. I do not use one very often. so the price was right. What has me ticked is that for years they offered Chicago 18 volt drills, reciprocating saws, small circular saws, flashlight, sabre saws, all with interchangeable batteries. I now have about 20 tools that all work, except the batteries are no longer available for them. I will not be buying any battery operated tools from HF again. I have over $300 in useless tools.

richardf95
12/13/18

This was my very first time in dealing with Harbor Freight. I purchased three items via their website. It stated that everything was in stock and they charged my credit card. I never received an email indicating that the goods had shipped, so I logged into my online account to attempt to track it. It took a while to find a tracking link. When I clicked the link, it took me to FedEx's website and their website stated that the package was pending delivery and there was no tracking history. I waited 48 hours and tried to track the package again. And there was still no status update. From running an e-commerce business for fifteen years, I knew exactly why. FedEx did not have possession of the package. After waiting for sixteen minutes on the phone, a customer service representative told me that the label was automatically generated and their records indicated it shipped. However, he was unable to provide any insight into why the tracking information was not working other than to say that it was FedEx's fault due to it being twelve days from Christmas. He told me that I simply had to wait several business days. Essentially, I had to hope my items would show up. This is completely absurd. Although I suppose I should have known better. Most companies cannot offer inexpensive, yet quality products along with quality customer service. I will never purchase anything from this company again, and I do not recommend that anybody else does.

chrisf163
11/23/18

Ordered a lot of products from them without any major problems until now. One of my items on my order was on back order, so they just canceled the item. When I went on-line to check on my order, it showed that the order had a shipping label, but had not shipped. I call customer service & some B hung up on me when I was giving her my order number. Called them again & let them have it. The guy at customer service said my order had shipped, Fed X say that they haven't picked it up yet & the Harbor Freight web site shows my order on back order. Told them to remove my information from their web site & no more buying from Harbor Freight!

helena95
8/20/18

really like this store, i have and use the stuff you get free with coupons. Good prices and Good quality.

jeffm322
5/11/18

I go for last minute needs, but really not the best quality supplies. If you're looking for professional tools, don't come here.

steveb483
5/4/18

about 75% of the products are junk and thats why it's cheap but not cheaper than just buying real professional grade products the first time. Customer service is mediocre but hey they honored a warranty one time so yea.

carlaf14
3/19/18

We don't go to Harbor Freight for good tools, we go there for one-time tools.

Generally poor quality - but a good exchange policy that you'll need almost immediately. The only HF tools I've had consistently good results with have been the hydraulic parts like a porta-power or bottle jack and the engine hoist.

Electrical tools? Yikes ! They often do not pass the 60-second smoke test.

Machine tools? An axe works better for cheaper. Welding and plasma cutting? Buyer beware!

The pneumatic fittings and quick couplings should be branded 'Max-Hiss' for the leakage.

Bottom line: Use it once, throw it away and you'll rarely be disappointed with HF products!

anitas58
2/9/18

OKEECHOBE FL STORE- THE MANAGER IS ALWAYS MEAN,USELESS!
IT WAS INCONVENIENT FOR THE CUSTOMER TO ASK ANY QUESTION ABOUT THE TOOLS. HE IGNORED PEOPLE ASKING HIM.HE SHOULD NOT BE A PART OF THE STORE. EVERYTHING IS GOOD EXCEPT HIM (LAURENCE)

Tip for consumers: WE NEED A GOOD MANAGER ON THIS AREA.

janisa5
1/11/18

I have a love for power tools and I could spend hours at Harbor Freight just looking at the tools. Great quality as well.

johns2450
10/13/17

You get what you pay for. Tools are as good as anywhere else. Store returns are never a problem. I generally look here to start.

kenm151
10/6/17

Incident: 9/23/2017
Harbor Freight Store: Jefferson City, MO 65109
The store has been in Jefferson City for some time and I had never check it out. On 9/23/2017, I made my very first visit to store. I knew nothing about the store or it inner working or policies. I found $33.13, which was 3 items had which I thought were on "sale". I went to check out and I could not see the registers display because it was facing the clerk and not easily visible to customers (I now know why). I was putting the merchandise on my master charge card. When I inserted the card the display showed approved. I removed the card and the signature block appeared. When I signed and entered done, the computer froze and nothing would work. The clear tried to clear and nothing would happen. The manager approached and he had to reboot the computer. My transaction did not re-appear. When this was happening, I looked at the register display and show the merchandise was at regular prices. I asked why and the clerk as what color was the sale tag. I thought that was strange but I told her orange. She said o that is an instore something. I asked the manager and he was not interested and at this I requested to refund or cancel my purchase. I did not want anything from that store. The manager was very uninterested and appeared not to care. He never answered but said wait 2-3 days and see if the charge hits your card. If it did, just come back and I will take care of it. I ask how he would take care of it when I have no proof. This manager was a real deal. I told him if this is how he treats customers on their very first visit, I could imagine how he would treat them if they had a warranty problem or another in-store problem. The manager did not respond as if he could care less. H motioned with an expression of I dont give a s*** attitude (pardon my language but this word describes the type of attitude). This manager could have handled this easily by giving me the sale prices and then telling me the store policy was and how I could get the sale prices in the future but no, I just made a substantial enemy of me when it comes to Harbor Fright. I will go out of my way to discourage anyone I meet to even visiting the store much less buying anything. Before I wrote this not, I have already send out a lot of negatives on your store. I will continue to copy and paste this review into any retail customer review sites that I can find and also to the city chamber of commerce of which I have a strong standing. I think you can tell I am furious and if it is on my card, know I got to go back into the store and talk to this idiot.
Follow-Up: 9/30/2017, the cancelled purchase of $33.13 was posted to my credit card on 9/27/2017. On 9/30/2017, I contacted an assistant manager (Kyle) by phone. He advised the store manager was not on duty today. He took my information and advised he would contact the accounting office and see if they would make an adjustment. However, I told him about how the store manager could have avoided this by giving me the sale prices but there was no response from Mr. Kyle. Still not much improvement in CUSTOMER NO SERVICE from this company. I have not received any thing from this company at this point. If I do, I would update this review.
I called Mr. Kyle back today (5 October 2017). I informed him the credit of $33.13 still has not be credited to my credit card. Mr. Kyle said it would take 2-3 weeks. This long just to get something corrected that should have never happened in the first place. Once again Harbor Freight store in Jefferson City MO is a NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. I would expect this is typical of ALL of their stores. Never, Never, Never shop or even go into a Harbor Freight store.
There was no receipt from this purchase because the computer system crashed and there was no way to get a receipt. However, I have a print document from the credit card showing the

williamr166
9/1/17

I ordered some items August 30th at 7 a.m. and selected two day shipping. Tracking shows the order will not arrive until September 5th. By my calculations, these items should arrive on September 1st. Customer service said that orders don't download for shipping until late afternoon and are pulled for shipping the next day. So one day down already on the shipping. There is no way with this practice that you could ever actually get two day shipping. They are lying about their 2-day shipping. Don't use!

alvinr18
7/2/17

I brought it brand new. After 3 uses, it would not hold line. Couldn't find my receipt, they do not make parts. Piece of $#*!e. The problem is the auto feed button (see picture) I'm currently trying to find a new head because I don't like this type of trimmer.

alm488
3/3/17

Plenty to choose from, cheap prices and quick shipping. Only problem I've come across is the inability to use vanilla gift cards online. Can't buy a Harbor Freight gift card online with a vanilla card either. When they catch up to the 21 century way of doing business I'll add another star.

chrism288
8/18/16

Ariel help me and my family so much. She delt with a terrible attitude from a relative of mine. I felt so embarrassed and she handled it like no other. Best store manager for harbor freight. There lucky to have her. And thank you for dealing with us.

glene15
6/5/16

Harbor freight has very good quality tools for good prices.

danc93
5/23/16

Its Harbor Freight. Its the cheapest stuff coming out of China. They modestly mark it up and resell it. The website is OK and shipping is average. If your looking for cheap tools its the place you want to go. Just remember you get what you pay for. So if you want DeWalt, Milwaukee, or Bosch quality go somewhere else and pay for it. I've ordered numerous items and haven't been disappointed in the products I've received yet. I have yet to deal with customer services, so no comment on that yet.

dannye18
5/12/16

Of course you have your home depots and lowes, but I love Harbor Freight. Good deals and same quality tools. It's the first store choice for me when it comes to tools.

pattyv5
6/15/15

I have been buying stuff from Harbor Freight for years, but after my last experience, which still hasn't ended, I am officially done. Finito. The end. I purchased 3 of their solar lights that would have been exactly what I needed if they'd worked. 2 out of 3 that were sent me were defective. Right, that's 66%. To top it off, unlike Ebay and other e-commerce sites, they don't send you a return label you can print from your computer. Instead, you have to WAIT for WEEKS till they snail mail you a label, which I still haven't received, and THEN they claim they will refund your money. Folks, don't be fooled by the cheap prices for junk that is made overseas (you know where) that breaks right after you open the package. You get what you pay for. AND it's not easy to get your money back.

amys60
3/22/15

On their website, I posted a review regarding a dangerous situation with one of their products. After 7 days, the review has not appeared in the review section for the product, leading me to believe they will not post it because it is negative.

I had purchased a 500 amp Load Tester item # 91129. The first time I used it, the item smoked. I thought it did so because the item was new & the user manual stated item can get hot. The second time I used the item, it caught fire. I had to use a fire extinguisher to put out the flames. Inside the case of the tester, the positive cable insulation was badly charred & the negative cable insulation slightly charred, but the flames had engulfed the whole inside of the load tester case. It seems the cables used on this item are not sufficient size to handle high amperage. At the time of the second test, I had set it to 425 amps.

Tip for consumers: Several items I had purchased in the past did not last beyond one or two uses. The quality of many of their products are low grade. Regarding this 500 amp load tester, it is dangerous. Had there not been an extinguisher nearby, or had I had the tester in the engine compartment of the car, things could have been much worse.

charlesj17
2/10/15

Buy all my tools there. It's hard to find a sales person on the floor, the free giveaways such as mini flashlights, etc are usually gone by the time I get there. Prices are great. They make almost all that they sell. Better than any other tool, supply store I've been to. Easy to buy more than you intended if you're into tools, etc.

Tip for consumers: Beware of online ordering. I had bought an item that was so damaged I couldn't repair it. Buy from the brick and mortar store. Know what you want when you go because it's easy to walk out with much more than you wanted.

douglasr8
5/1/14

Almost everything is poor quality, but they fill that niche - when you need a one time use item or, for me, extra tools too keep in the outbuildings & sheds. Since they are only occasionally used, I do not want to duplicate with the type of expensive tools I keep in the shop, so Harbor Freight tools fit the bill.
As many have said - expect to get what you pay for.

darrellc20
4/7/14

GREAT TO DO BUSINESS WITH

Good luck with that. I tried for over 2 months with no response, until I got "I am sorry, that item (a drill battery) is no longer available. So now I have over $300 of Chicago Electric tools. Harbor Freight's brand name, that are useless because the batteries are not available.

By James E.

I cannot see the particular part you are inquiring about, but could you make something to work?  I am thinking you are referring to the notched piece that the handle locks into.  Remember, you do not need to duplicate the piece, just make one that works.  If you want to send me a picture I would have a better idea.  I do have the smaller one which I think is similar.  mountainsofwv@gmail,com  Jim

By James E.
Questions? Get answers from the HarborFreight staff and other customers.

3 Photos for HarborFreight