Review of Dropbox

Tel: 833-663-6600
copyright@dropbox.com

jamesa623
2/21/19

I am very satisfied with their service and very easy system to understand. They have very easy download and upload option but the space is very limited for free user. Anyways, it is very good product and recommended !

ronb302
11/19/18

My wife and I have used dropbox for a few years. Several months ago I received a call from them stating that I was running out of space and needed more to save anymore information. Since I was unsure of how much activity my wife was using I purchased some additional space to be billed monthly on my credit card. A couple of months ago I realized I had plenty of unused space and could not find a way to cancel. So I disputed the charges with my credit card company. Apparently they know how to contact them. I am still searching for a way to cancel my agreement and discontinue any further relationship with them. Can anyone help?

gotr4
11/18/18

they're automatically billing me and I can't cancel this account. nowhere in my account does it provide the option to cancel, and their email links lead nowhere. this is very fraudulent. I wouldn't recommend that anybody do business with them for any reason. no customer support line. total dishonesty.

scottb559
10/22/18

I was scammed too. Dirty thieves. What a business model. Hook people and then charge them and say, "sorry we don't do refunds." I'd like to dropkick.....

steveb711
10/5/18

Beware of their scam for the business license. They got me for $1000 and I'm just a home user. We paid to back up our photos for $9 and next thing I know hey charged $1000 to our credit card. I called 18 days later once I saw our statement and they said not refunds. I have no idea how this happened.

briano91
9/25/18

I'll join the chorus of unhappy customers. I spent 2.5 hours disputing a charge I disagreed with. Their terms of service are obscure at best. They will auto-renew you without your knowledge or consent. I spent almost an hour on a chat session with a worthless agent. From the stilted conversation I could tell she is working from a remote location in some other country. The charge went through PayPal so I protested the charge through them and am waiting for a response. A friend who writes programs told me that Dropbox is no longer a secure site and to avoid them. If their customer service is so bad, how can they run a secure site that works properly?

lg115
9/4/18

Beware Dropbox's 'FREE TRIAL' offer requiring a credit card!
Unless you positively vote NO / CANCEL at the end of the trial you are automatically subscribed. I was charged a massive E738 for a service I tried once but can't use due slow internet speeds. The annual fee is totally non-refundable and they don't even email to warn or remind you the free trial period is up.
Amazingly they are doing nothing illegal, but it feels like unethical sharp practice akin to being mugged and is extremely poor customer service.
Shame on you Dropbox. Avoid, Avoid, Avoid!

emmas155
7/24/18

Signed up for a free trail accidentally. When trying to cancel the free trial a women called Leah has been emailing me saying she cannot assist me to cancel after providing her with all my details. They give you no guidance of who to contact to resolve the matter do not provide you with a number to call. Never in my life have I experienced such poor customer service all she said is she cannot help basically and nothing else. Very reassuring that Dropbox. You are a disgrace of a company.

roans7
7/1/18

I too am a victim of Dropbox's deceptive practices and am out the yen equivalent of $750. I am a retired professor and literary translator, scraping by. My wife, who is furious, worked for two months at her part-time job to earn the equivalent of what Dropbox has stolen from us. I never used Dropbox, not once, and feel like an idiot. But I am obviously not alone, though that shouldn't, I suppose, be comforting.

dannyn18
4/10/18

By far the worst customer support. I have to keep repeating myself as they had me off to yet another rep. The question is simple: I have deleted all devices and changed the password, why do the devices automatically login without asking for the new password. Its been 4 weeks and no one can answer my questions.

bobh202
3/22/18

If you sign up for a 'free trial period' you will be hit with a £700 full year's subscription which they will refuse to refund. You wont even be able to talk to anyone, there.
It is clear that this happens to a lot of people but they clearly keep the system as it is because they net a lot of money from it.

dann1338
3/17/18

I needed access to some documents for a friend's film. They already had an account, but I needed to sign up to a business account to access the files...for $17 something per month. Then I suddenly find out from Paypal NOT Dropbox that I would charged $630...This is f---ing scam. What a bunch of rogues. I've logged a complaint with Dropbox and Paypal. If they take my money I will not be able to afford to eat. Stay away from this company!!

katek59
2/23/18

Only needed it to save voicemails from phone before switching to new SIM card. Phone provider suggested it - but it is horrible. You have to save each voice mail individually - AND ENTER THE PERSON WHO SENT IT, THE PHONE NUMBER, THE DATE AND TIME!!!! for each of several hundred voicemails I need to save. This will take about 50 hours of my time. Horrible design.

geraldw43
1/11/18

Then they will say it's your fault. Then they will kill your babies and wipe the plate with your stolen money! There is no worse company in the world. They charged me $750.00 for a service I never used. If you call their number, they hang up. You can NOT email them. Your only avenue is their on line chat, which drops you then sends you a "no reply" email saying, "You're screwed, lol." Absolutely do not use this service, ever. Get this! They have a no arbitration, no sue, clause in their online service agreement. They are vile.

kellyc200
1/5/18

When you sign up for an account and they double bill you, and refuse to give you a refund...not good. Beware!

almah18
12/27/17

THIS COMPANY IS A TOTAL WASTE. YOU CANNOT GET ANY HELP EITHER ON THE PHONE OR BY EMAILING THEM. GET TEAM VIEWER IF YOU WANT THE BEST.

johnt469
12/12/17

User beware. If you're sharing with anybody, don't waste a second of your time on this garbage. Lost client files, can't share, errors, etc. PURE TRASH!!!!!!!

adamy12
12/3/17

Would you like to use a file hosting service that have a tendency of deleting your files? Then this is for you.

Across the Internet just before the approximate year 2012 or so, almost ALL links to dropbox files suddenly breaks and leads to error 404. This is not because the user purposely deleted them. This can be proven here:
https://smwc.me/871994 (if it was deleted on purpose, it would've state the reason)

This is a disgrace, almost as bad as the recent photobucket disaster when they changed their TOS to require $399/year to display images off-site. Again, if the user of Dropbox is inactive, there is no way for that to be fixed unless someone else has a backup available. Use google drive instead.

How can they do this? A site designed for backup and sharing your files (legally), now trashed and gone for good.

EDIT: it happened on March 15, 2017. They decided to remove public links and never admitted the reason why.

hagitt
11/24/17

Like many of the users on this blog, we took the 30-day free trial and ended up not using it after a few times.However, we were surprised to find that our credit card was charged $750 and immediately contacted Dropbox to ask for a refund.
Related: Dropbox Charged me 0 for something I don't want, need or have!

However, the company representative refused any partial or full refund and disconnected me from the chat room when I expressed my dissatisfaction and desire to file a complaint with consumers report.I find such after service terrible and the general behavior of automatic charging without any refund (even partial) to be fraudulent and unacceptable and encourage all to speak up against this company.

ronm139
10/6/17

I had exactly the same experience as Scott C -- trial plan expired then a charge for $750 (5 licenses at $150 each. I am a single person home office.

They make it almost impossible to speak to a live person. I had to choose the phone option to "buy" to get to a person who then referred me into their ridiculous chat site only to be told there is no refund policy, no exceptions.

This company is bad news. Stay away at all costs.

Anyone have any ideas how we can band together to make this company pay for its dishonest business practices????

scottc148
10/6/17

On August 20, I upgraded my personal Dropbox (DB) account to a standard business plan, with the understanding from the DB webpage interface that it would cost $150 year ($12.50 monthly). However, I discovered that I was being charged $799.50 when I reviewed my credit card statement at the end of September. Furthermore, DB refuses to refund me, because I did not cancel within a 1 month trial period, even when I was NOT informed that I was being charged more than 4 times what I was expected.

I am an individual user of DB, and with the birth of our first child this year, I decided to upgrade my existing account to the standard business plan for the 2 TB of storage for all of our family pictures and videos. My credit card statement is only posted in the latter half of the following month (Sept) in which this purchase was made, and as I travel for my job and am only able to review my financial transactions at the end of the month. When I saw the mischarge, I contacted DB the first working day of October to address the mischarge which is 12 days after the 1 month trial.

UNETHICAL SERVICE

DBs refusal to provide me a refund rests on its policy that my request came 12 days after its 1 month trial period. However, at NO time was I informed that I was being billed $799.50 either during time of purchase or any time afterwards. In short, I had no idea I was being overcharged, and therefore did not know I had reason to cancel my subscription during the trial period.

Why does DB not send out email confirmations of purchased services and cost, or an email reminder that the trial period is ending for a service (and its cost)? It feels as if DB has arranged its communication strategy to deceive unsuspecting customers. It is unscrupulous that DB does not refund me for services not intended or used due to its misrepresentation and miscommunication.

MISREPRESENTATION

Part of the problem seems to be that I am being charged for 5 licenses, but when I purchased the standard plan, the DB webpage indicated that it would cost $150. From reading complaints in this forum and elsewhere online, it seems that a DB standard plan is a minimum of 3 licenses at $450 total.

This is not apparent in the customer interface online when upgrading an existing DB account to the standard plan. A brief search on the internet reveals that my experience is not unique. There are numerous complaints from DB customers who, like myself, have been over- charged for service not intended or used, i.e. multiple licenses. For example, in addition this very DB forum, the website of the Better Business Bureau has an assortment of complaints of the same nature.

DB needs to improve its website customer interface and communication, rather than mischarge and penalize unsuspecting customers.

UNACCOUNTABLE CUSUTOMER SERVICE

The lack of direct telephone assistance from DB for billing disputes further amplifies the situation, as if DB has designed customer service to be exceedingly convoluted to discourage follow-up with disputes. As one person in this community expressed in a related post, hours of email back and forth could more efficiently be resolved in 5 minutes on the phone.

When one finally does get customer service, it seems to prioritize corporate profit over customer satisfaction. Let me illustrate with a couple examples from my experience

1. When I pointed out to DB customer service that I was not informed of my credit card charges in a timely manner to cancel my subscription, they simply did not respond to this part of my dispute. Instead, I was told that my payment details are available through the DB webpage for my account at any time; however, I did not know that I needed to or how to navigate the DB website to check my payment details, (which requires several un-user -intuitive clicks to reach).

2. Customer service responded to my dispute by focusing on a screenshot I took on Oct 3 to illustrate the website interface and how it can mislead customers such as myself because it shows the cost for a standard plan to be $150. However, customer service did not acknowledge this, but instead pointed out that at the bottom a billed total appears of $799.50. What? This appears simply because I accessed the plan while still logged into my DB account, and it only reflect that the screenshot was taken on Oct 3, after my account was already mischarged this amount. Maybe I am missing something, (which could be addressed if phone customer services available), but it feels as if DB is deceivingly sidelining the points I am making by distracting on non-relevant points it creates.

PROFIT OVER SERVICE

DBs Terms of Service states, We want to address your concerns without needing a formal legal case. However, this clearly has not been my experience. Maybe if I was a large business with the resources for legal counsel DB would respond differently, but from its response to my dispute, DB actions reflect that it prioritizes profit over customer service and satisfaction, even to the degree of unscrupulous behavior.

I welcome any advice you may have for me and my predicament.

wanessar
10/5/17

Dropbox has deliberately deleted ALL of the files I've trusted to them. Simply part of my life if trusted to these company and they erased it, without asking for permission or sending a note for me to recover it within 30 days. Now when I went to check my box, it was empty and they say there's nothing they can do. Completely unacceptable.

larryt61
10/5/17

I signed up for their free 30 day trial and then I was charged $495 for a year which I never agreed to. I cancelled but they have a no refund policy no matter what. What a terribly dishonest, ripoff company! I will never use their service.

mrj121
9/11/17

They lull you into a false sense of security, while everything works well (which it does).

Then they strike - They silently cut off access to your files without any explanation, then completely unapologetically refuse to fix the issue, or apologise or anything.

I have never actually come across worse service from an internet company - And that is quite an achievement.

Tip for consumers: Avoid at all costs.

cathyr48
8/12/17

Mattias: Hi there, can I answer any questions about Dropbox Business for you?

Me: Yes, is it anyb faster, I am trying to load 20 folders at once to a single folder and it keeps droopping the uploads

Mattias: Hi you're with Dropbox Business sales now, you can find more help at dropbox.com/help

Me: I am really disappointed in all your changes
Your company is not making me or my clients very happy.
No phone support...

Mattias: If you have Dropbox Business Advanced you'll have phone support

Me: you are the first person to even ask, and that is only because I want to know if upgrading will make the snail uploads faster.
Slower than molasses

Mattias: Uploads will depend entirely on your internet connection

Me: I have full power and nothing else on in the house
absolutely nothign
It drops even one folder

Mattias: For help please consult dropbox.com/help or dropbox.com/support

Me: I am sitting right here watching it at a snails pace
I will gladly give dropbox a review.
yOUr support needs to be a person on the phone.

Mattias: This is Dropbox Business but support will depend on your plan, with Dropbox Business Advanced you have phone support.
Have a nice day

Thank you for contacting us.
Chat session disconnected.

How would you rate your chat with Mattias?

38 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

TRUE THEY SCAMMED ME TOO!!!

By Sheri S.

SCAMMERS!!

By Sheri S.

I hope there is a class action suit and I will join it.

By De R.

I was unsuccessful as well. I ended up disputing the charge with my credit card. It is still being investigated. My wife was successful in getting a refund on a new account that she never used, within 7 days of paying. She is the only one I know of that has done that successfully.

By FRED G.

Questions? Get answers from the Dropbox staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Dropbox