Review of Spokeo

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

danh123
4/27/17

I signed up for a 'one time' search for $.99, somehow I also t signed up for a free trail THAT I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR, and ended up getting charged $19.95 3 times before I found out!! If it wasn't bad enough that my $.99 search didn't help me at all, now I have $60 in charges that again, I DID NOT WANT!!!!! I called customer service and was told that they could only cancel the service. So I sent them an email next in which I received an automated message saying I would be contacted in 12-24 hours....and I am now going on day 4 without any response from them!! So much for customer service!!!!!

thomast84
4/15/17

I tried their web site search after having a suspicious phone call. What I ender up with was nothing at all except a charge on my credit card. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY

mikem496
4/11/17

I considered writtign along disertaqiton on SPokeo...the company I recently tired on line for searching out peole adn ba ckgrounds.

but I deciderd ot cut ot teh chase..

1) it dint work
2) the " Free trial" was not free..
3) They charged 19.95 without telling me and even after i showed them the agreement i signed that stated it was free for 30 days they insisted that it was only part of the bigger agreement buried somewhere the text..
4) SPokeo- just another rip off...

Nuff' said

kassandraf
4/11/17

I used this site for one search and paid the one-time fee of .95 about 2 months ago. Since then, I've found over $40 in charges from this website. They are unbelievable. I really can't believe a site like this hasn't been shut down for fraud.

janp43
4/8/17

Spokeo wrote a response to my complaint on here They are claiming they send receipts for payments. I never got any receipts by any email or any source. They give telephone numbers expecting me to call them. Not likely. These people get your info and bill you repeatedly because of fake accounts. I am intend to file complaints with every government agency I can, until somebody makes them get a signature for their phony accounts they use to do repeat billing on people. Yes, I got my money back and it is still under investigation. Save your comments for that! Eat that Spokeo. .

micheles4
4/5/17

Doesn't tell you diddly. Info outdated. The guys are Catfish are getting paid to advertise this joke of a site.

waveg
3/16/17

Well, Spokeo's response appeared apologitic & sincere. It suggested I call customer svc at 888-906-0850. I did, still no refund. They really want to keep my $29.70. I'm not happy.

boby9
2/14/17

link says its free lookup of a phone number.. IT IS NOT... Phony.. wrong... and just plain trying to fool the public shame on spokeo

jamesn122
2/13/17

This website is a joke.They have 8 different families living at my address.We are the only family that has ever lived here.The property was previously a hay field,we developed it.They also have have 5 people living here.There wouldn't be that many if you counted the pets.

chuckg15
2/8/17

Scam
they will charge you every month even if you only do a one time charge. Do not give them your credit card. They will continue to charge and the most you can ever get back is 2 months. And the site finds nothing for you.

omeliac
2/6/17

I've paid for subscription and the reverse email search came up to nothing. I can find more on my own just using general google search. Also, when I tried searching my own email, it came up with a meager 2 or 3 pieces of information. Not at all exhaustive as Google search engine pulled up a ton more. May I get a refund?

lolat8
1/19/17

I put a particular number into their system. They ran the number and said that they had a full report to share with me, so I paid the $2 for it. Turns out they had no information on the number at all. I'm not going to cry over $2, but after reading other people's reviews I will definitely be monitoring my Credit Card. I don't think this site is honest or useful.

willh48
1/15/17

They take your money with promises of giving you information they have but once they take your payment you get nothing.

jocelync10
12/27/16

DO NOT USE SPOKEO, YOU WILL END UP PAYING MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION YOU DID NOT SIGN UP FOR. THEY WILL AUTOMATICALLY PUT YOU ON MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION FOR 19.99 A MONTH. I AM ONE OF THE VICTIM HERE. THIS WEBSITE IS A BIG SCAM!!!!!!

fooledm
12/10/16

Do not use this service you will end up paying for a subscription without knowing it. Communist bastards!

robertt151
12/8/16

These people are as crooked as a three dollar bill. My subscription lasted 20 minutes while I discovered all the hidden add on charges for their free 7 day trial and even demanded more money for the original info I paid for and never got. Cancelled with confirmation but have a bad feeling my credit card hasn't seen the last of them.

sidt11
12/8/16

seems that you cannot be trusted. These reviews I am looking at are terrible. Sorry I will go somewhere else.

sharonl84
12/1/16

Googled free reverse phone lookup and this company comes up. They are not free!

meganb56
10/20/16

Signed up for the $24.95 plan but was charged over $50. I haven't even been a member for a full month. The site itself is cool (although some stuff is inaccurate and the social media profiles are a shot in the dark) but the way they run their business is not ethical.

ja27997
10/3/16

Do NOT waste your money on this company. They are nothing more than SCAM artists. Watch your credit card for recurring charges. They will not stop until you demand they do.

adamp64
9/29/16

I use to have business account with Spokeo. The information in general was pretty accurate if you knew what you were looking for and did some double checking on data it was accurate more then it wasn't. My subscription expired as my biz had slowed a bit I elected not to renew it but when it picked up again I reactivated it only to find out they had completely restructured how they let you see the info. Instead of a monthly price for all info you use to be able to see, I learned after paying a ridiculous amount that it was only for name data and if I wanted all the info I use to get I had to add pieces from an a la carte menu. Bottomline....while there use to be value in Spokeo they are now 100% a total rip off. STAY AWAY....FAR FAR AWAY.

rosis
9/29/16

I decided to do a search of myself and was surprised at what I saw. Names of deceased former tenants or people whose mail I have gotten accidentally. The only one I know there is my now ex husband and they even had his age wrong. Having said this...that gave me bad vibes about this company. I don't know 95% of the people stated that I am associated with. I believe they got some information from the Postal Service!! I recall seeing these names from getting these people's mail. Many of these people I learned from long time residents have either long moved out or died. I wouldn't give these people 1 cent...not even a 1/2 cent if they still existed. Total phonies!!

mistyf5
9/24/16

After reading primarily very negative reviews I am glad that I did by the way, I will not be using your service, wow, do you know how many really bad reviews you have?

danb164
9/20/16

Used the one time charge option. Was charged 19.36 a month for several months before i even noticed. Called and cancelled next month another charge ..wife called and cancelled asked for a refund ... 3-7 days never got a refund.. next month another charge.. called and cancelled ased for refund...3-7 business days... still no refund.. called to cancel yet again was told the account was cancelled but never submitted for refund.. guess what??? 3-7 business days!!! Im not holding my breath!!

kathleenb47
9/14/16

I am in the service and was looking for a trusted site for work related information.I signed up for a free 30 day trial to see if it was what I wanted/needed. I had 1 more day to cancel if I wanted to but on September 11th They took $9.85 out of my account and there is another $19.95 pending. What?! I sent them an email and got nothing in return. I don't understand why is this a scam? I want my money back. Both of the amount's. I still had 1 day to cancel before they started taking unauthorized amount's out of my account. If I don't hear anything in the next 48 hour's I will get a hold of the security officer at my bank and I will call the Better Business Bureau as well as the authorities. Kathleen Barrett. Update. Spoke has taken care of the problem so I have changed my 1 star rating to a 4 star rating. Thank you Spokeo

35 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Spokeo staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Answer
spokeoi
Spokeo I. [Spokeo Rep]
A: Dear Gerald,

Thank you for reaching out to us. For questions regarding your Spokeo Subscription, please contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. We are available 24/7 and happy to help with any questions or concerns you might have.

Sincerely,