US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

mistyf5
9/24/16

After reading primarily very negative reviews I am glad that I did by the way, I will not be using your service, wow, do you know how many really bad reviews you have?

danb164
9/20/16

Used the one time charge option. Was charged 19.36 a month for several months before i even noticed. Called and cancelled next month another charge ..wife called and cancelled asked for a refund ... 3-7 days never got a refund.. next month another charge.. called and cancelled ased for refund...3-7 business days... still no refund.. called to cancel yet again was told the account was cancelled but never submitted for refund.. guess what??? 3-7 business days!!! Im not holding my breath!!

kathleenb47
9/14/16

I am in the service and was looking for a trusted site for work related information.I signed up for a free 30 day trial to see if it was what I wanted/needed. I had 1 more day to cancel if I wanted to but on September 11th They took $9.85 out of my account and there is another $19.95 pending. What?! I sent them an email and got nothing in return. I don't understand why is this a scam? I want my money back. Both of the amount's. I still had 1 day to cancel before they started taking unauthorized amount's out of my account. If I don't hear anything in the next 48 hour's I will get a hold of the security officer at my bank and I will call the Better Business Bureau as well as the authorities. Kathleen Barrett. Update. Spoke has taken care of the problem so I have changed my 1 star rating to a 4 star rating. Thank you Spokeo

ambera32
9/5/16

Went into this thinking that it would give me real information, but it didn't even come close. I get better results just googling information myself. So now I'm out 30 bucks for basically nothing. I would change my review if they offer me a refund or at least try to make it right. There's a lot of missing and/or inaccurate information that a kindergartener can find better... Not worth the price at all. Maybe if it was 99 cents. :/

**Edit** Well I called them and I must say that they did handle my concerns pretty well. They explained to me clearly the fine print. They also offered to do a search for me through the phone. I've cancelled my subscription without any hassle, but I still get to use what I paid for. For that, I'll give them another star. I won't use them again though.

terrim46
9/1/16

Only giving Spokeo 2 stars because they have well trained, professional customer service representatives - who are well trained to tell you that they are not giving you full refunds for cancellations you are not using, but offer you an 'upgrade'. Signed up for a one month subscription - which to any normal person means you want to pay for and use the service for one month only, not indefinitely. So, they 'renew' (because you didn't know you had to cancel something you only joined for one month), charging your credit card. Then, even though you haven't used their site (because you know your one-month subscription ended),they won't refund the full amount. ONLY if you push, will they give a partial refund. 2nd issue with them is that what is not clearly shown is that your one-month subscription only allows for 20 searches. Very limited in it's usefulness. Found that several of the free services that allow unlimited searches were just as good, if not better in finding current information. Can't recommend to others and don't ever plan to use them again.

amberw48
8/31/16

I want a free trial like it says

rekav
8/27/16

On the left side it gives the number of COURT RECORDS for a person which one can see when looking up a person's name. So, I plugged in my name out of curiosity expecting to see NO court records listed (because I've never had any problems with the law). It listed I had like 25 court records! I DON'T!. So, I guess part of the SCAM is that they might get people looking up themselves to pay for their service when they see Spokeo has listed many court records besides their name that the person does NOT have.

thel124
8/17/16

This site s not worth the money or time. They will not refund money...so try another service. I'm still paying for a service that does not fit my needs. If you try this service, pick the lowest amount indicated on the site. Don't buy before you try as I did.

amandan30
8/12/16

Spokeo is doing a disservice to victims of stalkers by making available information victims wish to keep private.Spokeo claims that they merely pull information from public records.

However, before Spokeo, if a stalker living on the west coast suspected his victim moved to a town on the east coast and he wanted to confirm that, the stalker would have to buy round trip airline tickets, fly 6 hours out east, rent a car, rent a hotel, and walk into a hall of records between M-F 9am-5pm during business hours only in the town he thinks his victim lives, and then search the public records in that town. The chances are slim he'd incur the huge cost and time needed to take that gamble. Thanks to Spokeo- a stalker's best friend and a victim's second worst nightmare- stalkers can get this information in minutes just by paying a small fee (compared to travel expenses flying across the country...) If people want to search for their birth parent or something legit, invest a few hundred dollars with a private eye to do it.

Put Spokeo and other like-businesses out of business.

marcelf8
8/6/16

They charged me even though they didn't find any information about the submitted number.
This is a scam !

jeannek4
7/26/16

One reviewer suggests opting out to remove yourself from Spokeo's directory. But when I tried, it looks like you have to have their exact directory link path to request they remove it, which you could only get by subscribing. Double scam!

tanis53
7/3/16

My experience of contacting Spokeo CS for a refund due to a misconception was notably the best CS experience I've ever had. A representative was available almost immediately and did not hesitate to resolve my issue- NO HASSLE AT ALL! Because the service initially purchased provided everything needed, I will return to Spokeo for any future needs, and I would definitely recommend Spokeo to any and all.

joannk13
6/27/16

When this site was free, it was great. Five years later, their data is often wrong or out of date too many times.
Also, I kept getting charged $23 for my membership fee for over a year I did not recognize. I had cancelled my first account 7/15; I called for help.The rep told me I could have another account in another name but unless I could remember it, she could not help me. More Monthly charges so 3 months later I called again 3/16. A rep told me the additional account email. She agreed to cancel the account. 6/27/16 just saw the same debit on credit card. They just keep on charging me. Protesting with credit card company this time.

myrnab4
6/27/16

I purchased to look for an old friend of my aunt who was visiting from out of the country. Needless to say, none of the phone numbers provided were current and the address was a bust. When I signed up it said I had a 30 day trial, what a lie! It was only 7 days and then I was billed for $19.95. When I called to cancel, a very rude young man confirmed that (yes) I just paid for a service that did not work and it was too bad as I would not get a refund.

I advise everyone to beware of SPOKEO as they have no moral compass.

ginam49
6/19/16

I purchased a (6) month subscription and I never received a confirmation email of my purchase, which was strange. The at the same time I see that it will be a reoccurring charge. So I contacted them on several occasions about cancelling my subscription. Finally I received an email and they stated they stopped the reoccurring billing but would not refund the money I paid out for the (6) months and that I could use the site until Dec of 2016. Well, ok, at least I would not be charged again. Now I have this subscription for the (6) months I paid for. This has been about (2) weeks ago. So the other night I thought well since I paid for this I check someone out. I went to sign in and it said there's a error and my password was not working. So I did a password reset, then another reset, then another. They blocked me even though I paid, they blocked me from using it the (6) months I paid for. They stole my money, there is no other way to explain it then out and out fraud. NEVER I MEAN NEVER TRUST ANY SITE UNTIL YOU READ ALL REVIEWS.

haroldb41
6/19/16

This company just plain $#*!ing sucks! Do NOT EVER use their services. PERIOD!

spokyeosites
6/11/16

This is the worst scam ever on Internet and you should be very afraid of using this non existing service and also about how your credit card info is used from this company. Stay away! its just $#*!.

christinem82
6/9/16

Spokeo did a recurring charge without my permission. I was charged for a search I didn't order as I was just discharged from the hospital last night from major abdominal surgery in which I haven't been online or any where to purchase any service? I didn't authorize the charge.

ah1075
5/29/16

Like everyone else who wanted a ONE TIME SEARCH for .95 from spokeo, we got ripped off too! The search we did was useless! Then they have the audacity to bill my account for $19.95 for two months before I finally had time to discovered what was going on! REALLY? I did not receive any email from them saying they were going to charge my account! I know they will put up their canned apology here but I DO NOT BELIEVE THEM! I understand your scam! Some people don't check their bank accounts and you bill them then you will give them a small refund and keep the rest! The money adds up after you dupe a lot of people! Then you get everyone's personal information and charge for that too! WHAT A SCAM!

allenb62
5/23/16

I paid $0.95 for one use to check it out. The search was inadequate. BUT THEY CHARGED $19.95 for at least the last THREE MONTHS that were unauthorized or somehow disguised upon purchase. I only used it once. Deceitful. I also read the FTC found they were writing their own positive reviews.

rebeccas44
5/19/16

I've been the victim of credit card fraud one too many times, so I decided to find out who is responsible since the card companies can't be bothered. Guess what, these jokers won't let me investigate the people who stole my credit card! When I put that I wanted to use it to investigate credit card fraud, they said think you very much your money has been refunded! Good that I verified the location of the address before I gave them my info so I can report that with the phone number.

mannyh1
5/15/16

Spokeo remains the lowest form of life on the internet. Every 6-12 months I have to contact them to correct the misinformation they spew.

My father, deceased since 1984, is still alive, as far as they are concerned. My mother, who died in 2009, shows as still alive and living in Fort Collins......... where she never lived in her life.

They have 5 listings for me, 3 of which are wrong.

If you believe in Spokeo, you believe in Godzilla and Peter Pan. This useless site should be shut down for distributing more misinformation than any other source on the internet.

You have to know, looking at the reviews 300 one star vs. 6 five star reviews that this is a failure of a company. If they served food, sold gas, mowed lawns, or provided any other service in the world, they would be out of business. If you pay them a nickel. you are a sucker. Their motto must be "Never give a sucker an even break"

Vote these clowns out of business

So spokeo's response is that it is not their fault that there are so many innaccuracies, all of the data collection is done by machine....... therefore it must be the machines' fault.

"It wasn't my fault that I killed someone, the bartender should not have sold me the drink and they shouldn't have made a car that would go 75 MPH"

Sounds like the dog ate someone's homework out in Pasadena. 50 to one....... one star vs. 5 stars........... the world has spoken: "spokeo is scum and a worthless hazard to the internet"

johnm759
5/9/16

i wish i could rate it lower than one star. a website that exposes you address, relatives and more WITHOUT a shred of your consent. puts your information to the public WAY to easily. If i were you i would go on there website and op out just to ensure your safety

perryw15
5/6/16

How to find them? How to get them to stop taking my money? They offer as little as 411 and ask for extra money for every small service beyond that. I was gullible and joined so I am spending money every month but cannot ascertain who this terrible agency is! The best I am say now is: Help!

maureend9
5/5/16

Spokeo membership is a scam. They charge more than the original fee quoted. It was very difficult to cancel membership. They "lose" the account information, but are quite capable of taking money from my account.

30 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Spokeo staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question