US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

susanf110
12/1/16

This a great roommate finding service that I have used a few times over the past 10+ years. It doesn't get any easier to filter the kind of roommate I'm looking for. It's definitely worth the small fee rather then weeding through spam and weirdos on free sites. I've gotten many quality roommates and will continue to use their service if I need one again in the future! Thank you!

debrah16
11/3/16

Once again, Roommates.com was an awesome help. The last roommate I found through this site three years ago still is very responsible, mature and easy to get along with but her company is moving and now so is she. My new roommate certainly seems to be the same and I found her within two weeks. Much better "selection or roomies" - I'd hesitate to write that but we both felt that way - than with the free online ads. Thanks for so improving my life; for turning what could be a nightmare process into something of a breeze.

micheles57
10/30/16

I just wanted to make a simple compliment. I'm not sure of the exact date, but about 13 years ago I found a roommate through Roommates.com and we are still rooming together through two apartments and one house. It was so easy and fast that I recommend this site to anyone looking to share whether they own a home, rent an apartment or just need a room to crash. So thank you Roommates.com for helping me find mine and still being here for the people who need you, both young and old.

careg
10/29/16

Very pleased with the site. Got 2 roommates and they are a good fit for my home. Thank you!!!

kathyl75
10/25/16

The process was pretty painless and the daily matches gave me plenty of people to contact. Found a roommate yesterday!

alanm122
10/24/16

Terrific easy-to-use service. Found an excellent roommate situation in 2 days. Much easier than wading through the Craigslist listings -- especially because the landlords indicate the characteristics they are looking for in a renter. That way you don't waste time responding to listings you will not get. You also get a better idea of the room situation (house, apt, condo, etc.) and the current occupants (number, ages and demographics).

Roommates.com is better too because you can select specific communities you are interested in -- not just a large area that is within X miles of a zip-code.

If in the future I need to find a place to stay or rent one out, I will certainly us your site (and your site only) again. Overall, the experience was excellent. Thanks so much for providing this service.

Alan

rickye5
10/18/16

In my opinion, this site is only after your $30. You can not see maps of your perspective homes, or even communicate with people, until you pay $30. I sent 11 messages, in 3 days, and not one response. I sent a e-mail, for advise, and I was told to do power search. Still no responses. These were all types of homes, and all types of people. It's not like I was a poor choice. Employed w/ the same company for 3.5 years, 710 credit score, at my current residence for 2 years, quiet, no drama, no baggage. Be careful, you have been informed!

joes610
10/11/16

Roommates.com allows you to create an account and post an ad. The account creation is free but to use the account in any way such as receiving responses to the ad, you have to pay $20. That is not told up front.

On top of that, there is no way to delete the account you create. This is a bait and switch site. What they are doing is clearly unethical.

tye30
10/5/16

It's pretty much a pay to message people site. I like the concept, but you really shouldn't even let people sign up without making them subscribe. They're using a hook technique that makes you think you can do something, somewhat teasing it (such as getting a message or viewing other's images), and wont let you until you pay money. Show you what you want, but won't let you use it unless you pay; pretty cheap tactic. Also, who's signing up for a subscription to find a roommate? That's something you do once, not for months at a time.

Besides the sites lack of any real use, the user interface it pretty bad overall. It looks like a pretty dated site and a lot of UI elements are handled incorrectly (i.e. the tabs above "Your Matches" don't look clickable). Strictly from a UI and UX standpoint, the site is pretty bad as well (you not supposed to use pop us for all of your messages).

cherylc78
9/30/16

I had no idea that I would find a house to share less than 5 miles from my job so quickly. I highly recommend this roommate search service to anyone looking to find a place to live or to share expenses. Wish I had thought to do this ages ago.

maleryw
9/16/16

Waste of time. You spend some time making a profile to list your available room, get excited about it, but you can't actually see messages from interested tenants without paying? I feel they should make it more obvious from the get-go that you have to pay to actually read messages. Thank you for wasting my time.

Tip for consumers: Don't do it.

bm80
9/6/16

I understand that a free service will not contain as many features and benefits as a paid service. But the Basic/free service on roommates.com is worth exactly what you're paying for it. People who email under the Basic service don't match your preferences, so what's the point? And you can't actually see the emails anyway, so what's the point?

This is an actual quote from a customer service rep in the Q&A on SiteJabber:
"You do not have to upgrade to receive responses from other other members, but you do have to upgrade to read their responses."

kateg37
9/4/16

I listedan ad for a room to rent but nothing matched for two weeks. Please take my ad off your site if you haven't done so yet.

tabathas2
8/26/16

Absolutely crazy I literally finally found someone sent them a message and when they contact me back I can't read it and it tells me I have to pay and this is my first message like they should most definitely have it where you can send a couple messages for free..!!!!

nb39
8/17/16

A free account is great for everything (except actually communicating with potential roommates or looking at pictures - you have to pay for that). Outdated site, no mobile app, limited abilities... and when I deactivated my account by selecting "Not satisfied with Roommates.com" I received a congratulatory email wishing me luck with the roommate I definitely didn't find on their site. Horrible site.

Tip for consumers: Just don't.

darlad4
8/16/16

I found the perfect roommate through your app. I wish everything could be this easy. I think the matches were superb especially due to the lack of people interested in living in Nevarre.
I found someone the same age, like minded, stable and financially stronge. In a trying time for me. This was the scariest idea for me to let a stranger into my home. Roommates.com made this the easiest transition I've had to make.

pattic20
8/16/16

In just two weeks I found my roommate match. I only use a reliable website for roommate search. I am a return customer of roommates.com, and very happy with my experience. The website is easy to use and is very effective.

zachv
8/16/16

GReat notifications, great profile setups, my only complaint would be the price it could be a few bucks cheaper

velindas
8/16/16

Inviting someone to share your home is stressful and risky for both parties. This is a nice way to get to know a little about the person without letting everything out all at once. This was my first experience with finding a roomer. Now, I have the extra funds I need to keep my household above water, and she has a safe comfortable place for much less than extended stay. My only small complaint is you must register every time you want to open a prospects profile. Not a big problem but it seems a little unnecessary.
Overall, this company reached the people who might be interested in renting where I live. I will use them again.

bobbieg16
7/3/16

I found the perfect roommate within one week. So many to choose from and very easy to use site.

mariez12
6/28/16

Thank you Roommate.com for making the connection that I couldn't have made on my own. After communicating with several candidates I found the perfect roommate. Thank you for making the process easy and reliable.

Best!
MZ

kayleh
6/22/16

Roommates.com seriously was awesome in helping me find a roommate. I signed up on a few other websites to find a roommate and no others quite compared. I am extremely organized and felt like roommates.com and their layout was as well. It was easy to describe what I had available for rent as well as list all of the features and details. They also have an internal email feature that makes it easy to communicate with potential future roommates without giving out any of your personal contact information. I upgraded to the 30 day membership so I could have access to view emails from potentials as well as have access to other information. I literally found and decided upon my roommate 1 day before my upgraded membership expired, which is awesome because I'm super picky and I did not even know that it was expiring the next day! I really do recommend this and only this website if you're searching for a roommate!

jol229
6/14/16

I only had a few matches (6-8) who were seeking in my area for my price but when it came down to actually trying to reach out and get in touch with these matches, no one would respond to my queries. The least they could have done would be to reply, "No thanks, not interested." The gentleman who contacted me was not even one of my matches but I think he searched in a broader range and found me. He moves in tomorrow!

faiths15
6/10/16

I have been on this site for a while but never upgraded. Once I upgraded the possibilities became endless! This site is more economical than other sites like roomster.com. If you have to contact this site, they respond timely even if all you're doing is deactivating your account. And it's not some automated system generated response either. I had the pleasure of receiving an email from Jessica and I think the fact rhat the email was personalized made me feel even better about the site. Yes I found a roommate!!! Too bad 10 stars is not an option!!!

karene52
6/7/16

I've been using roommates.com for about 8 years. I have found ALL my best roommates there!

12 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Roommates.com staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
melodym9
Melody M.
on 10/26/16
Answer
jessicar18
Customer-Support -. [Roommates.com Rep]
A: Hello,

We hope you would be able to find a roommate on our website, but it all depends on whether or not other members are looking for similar criteria. If you would like to give us a try go to our website www.roommates.com and fill out a profile and see if you have any matches.

If you have additional questions don't hesitate to contact us at support@roommates.com.

Roommates.com Customer Support
Answer
jessicar18
Customer-Support -. [Roommates.com Rep]
A: Hello,

Roommates.com is a bulletin board service so it is important for you to be cautious. If you feel comfortable with the person you have been talking to it is up to you if you want to have them come view your residence. It might be a good idea to use a background checking service if you can.

Roommates.com Customer Support