Review of Roommates.com

Roommates.com reviews

Rental Homes, Roommate

miked253
6/13/17

Going from helpless to helped in no time flat through an easy-to-use, organized process. Truly thankful!

juanete
6/11/17

this is the first site i have ever had to go on, i have never had a wanted a room mate or never needed one, but i became disabled at 57 even though i can work part time, the website is easy and self explanatory rather you are a standard member or a paying subscriber, easy browsing and i would use it again.

erlm
6/1/17

The site is easy to navigate and search terms are useful for finding a perfect match. Communication with members is simple too.

gila16
5/27/17

I used roommates.com to find a roommate and found one in just a week. I would recommend anyone needing to find a roommate to try the site, it works!

joell115
5/25/17

i was a member recently, but every contact i got was a scammer. when I cancelled my membership you kept charging me. Now my inbox is loading up and I dont know if you are doing it just to get me to sign up again. $#*!ty way to run a business.

louisa93
5/20/17

!It took a moment and about $60.00 to realize this is a scam-list.. Never received a response from any so-called "roommates" Simply put< it's a scam!

amandas214
5/19/17

Great service, easy to use! Was able to easily communicate with potential roomies and find one to move in! Thanks!

brancac1
5/16/17

I am very happy that I found a very good person to be my roommate . I am only sorry that I do not have more then one room to rent, because it is a lot of decent people that needs a room, thank you

judyn29
5/10/17

I was very happy with roommates.com . It is easy to navigate the site. Information shown is very pertinent. You receive an email when there is a match according to the parameters that you set. A lot of people are using it so you have a lot of choices. I found the perfect roommate on it.

bethj25
5/8/17

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.This site was very helpful in finding a good room mate. At least you know what that person is interested in which helps you to narrow down your search.

Thank you again for all your help. Take care and have a great day now!

lisas413
4/26/17

I had the best results with this site vs Craigslist, Facebook or other online roommate websites. The site is easy to navigate and reasonably priced!

aldom11
4/21/17

I thought that I would get the phone numbers and emails to potential renter. So I could contact them and see if their room for rent was still available. After paying I noticed the only added info i was getting from potential renters was the cross streets. No phone numbers. No address. No e-mails address. The only way to "contact" renters is through roomates,com website. and there is guarantee that the site is logit or that the renters on there aren't completely fake. I get more for free from craigslist. I regret wasting my time and money on this site.

maxm105
4/20/17

Although i agree there are unquestionably some fraudulent click bait profiles on this site. There are a slew of honest listings with credible leads to real humans. I'm currently in the process of linking with another roomie's and have found and spoke to a few people in a few days. I have also come across a few fake accounts and subsequently nothing bad has happened to my money or account.

People here are blaming the site for mistakes they made as if roommates.com fraud them. One lady blamed the site for her rape, after admitting she allowed someone to get her drunk even though she is a self admitted alcoholic! That is batS*#%.

My only complaints is that the site layout isn't that good and there are several glitches. Also the information you can list and prescripts are not that good. I do like the smiley system, but ultimately it doesn't mean much.

I was scammed much worse by other roommate listing sites. While i paid for the 5-day subscription. The account managers quickly reimbursed me when a problem occurred with my account being scammed. Also the managers responded almost immediately to my complaints and questions. That is pretty amazing considering there are thousands of users in my city alone.

The big issue for me was i was unable to link a photo, and they have a strict policy on linking numbers and emails. Which means many people are writing out there info in broken scripts to keep the site from locking or blocking the information. But this is an understandable solution to trying to limit spam and scamming.

Overall i think this is one of the better sites, and is not fraudulent as such as rommiemates.com and roomster.com - DO NOT USE THESE SITES

emilyh82
4/17/17

Definitely was happy with my experience on roommates.com. very helpful resource when you're in an area that's unfamiliar. Definitely recommend it!

kimberlye23
4/6/17

Aggravating,they say they want a renter now but will not reply, Im a good person who always pay her way and most of the time every ones too. Im having a hard time with this site.

kpk2
4/1/17

Contacted Roommates.com, and btw, there is no phone number as they can't be bothered to talk to you, even when you're a paying member, so be prepared for that. Anyway, Roommates responded quickly to my written communication, I'll give them that. But, then they tell me that there is no way to block anyone who is bothering the heck out of you, filling your inbox with junk. Yes, there are many spammers on there and others have the same problems. So, I have to wade through valid replies and junk spam that this site isn't skilled enough or doesn't care enough to allow one to sort out or block. Their lame response to me was, and I kid you not LOL, to tell ME that they ask that --- I --- stop sending THEM messages, and that they will request that the spammer stops sending me messages. Just great. Plus, I had to ask them twice, because apparently, they didn't understand the first time I wrote to them. Unbelievable.

coryw17
3/29/17

I had multiple responses to my add within hours. The next day I interviewed a few people from the website and decided to go with the very first one. I would use roommates.com again, but I hope I don't have to lol

doloresr6
3/7/17

I would highly recommend this site because of the privacy situation of looking for a roommate and being able to view several possibilities before committing to actual contact. Also, I feel that the price for a 30 day posting is very reasonable.

jeanetteb24
3/6/17

I have used roomate.com
For many years.
There are fake profiles to watch out for
However there are real people too
I have found 8 over the years as a person looking to rent out room.
Be patient and be safe. Invest in a background check. Roomates com does work.

kathym148
3/5/17

I feel fortunate to find the perfect roommate in 1 day. I think i was lucky and hope i have the same experience next time for my roommate has orders to leave but not sure when so i hope when i use this site again i have the same outcome. I had used craigslist and is dangerous.

elizabethc180
3/2/17

I found a great roommate after just a few days of posting on Roommates.Com. They made it easy to get my information out there. Sure will use this site again if I need to.

teem12
2/18/17

The quantity and quality of this site did not match what they advertised. The people on the site (which is not many) always want to pay less than they listed and craigslist (which is free) has many more people who use their site. This can't be the "#1" site for roommates. Don't be fooled.

danil86
2/10/17

If you are looking for a roommate, this is the best and probably safest site to find what you are looking for. I previously looked on craigslist and that was a huge mistake!

jce7
2/5/17

I have been using this service for many years. I have found and lived with many outstanding individuals. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a high quality person for a roommate. It is well worth the cost.
John Elder

lisar200
1/28/17

I first paid the $5.99 to try it out for 3 days. All of the people who 'SEEM' to 'Match' me, had N/A for 90% of their answers. Probably because they're either not real customers, or not paying ones. THEN, I was stupid enough to pay another $19.99 for an additional 30 days, with hopes I'd finally get to the real deal. B I G MISTAKE!! Again, I was matched with N/A info people. This site is making a TON of money and pissing a lot of people off. Many people who have complained about this site, didn't take time to understand what's 'FREE' on here, so shouldn't complain when they didn't get more than they expected. However, when you pay twice and get less than nothing, I'll make it my business to report this. People, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME & MONEY. You're welcome for this review:-) P.S. Roommates.com, I've read all of your apology replies to others, so need to send one my way.

20 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Roommates.com staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
on 7/4/15
3 weeks, 4 days ago
on 4/20/17
Answer
I put out a notice looking for a place to stay. There were matches but there was also an offer from a user looking to rent out their place for a roommate. The apartment seemed really nice in the pictures but I was told by the owner that I cannot view the interior because he is out of the country (relocated for a year-contract in Africa). The deal is pretty good, but really, I feel like there is something dodgy about it because 1) how am I supposed to get the key if the owner has it with him in Africa (could he not leave it with someone who could facilitate the roommate thing?) So, what? Am I expected to pay up first (rent plus deposit) and just wait for the key in the mail? I really feel that there is something off here and if there is, I feel also that I should report this user for other future room seekers.
Answer
Questions? Get answers from the Roommates.com staff and other customers.

Roommates.com?