US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

maleryw
9/16/16

Waste of time. You spend some time making a profile to list your available room, get excited about it, but you can't actually see messages from interested tenants without paying? I feel they should make it more obvious from the get-go that you have to pay to actually read messages. Thank you for wasting my time.

Tip for consumers: Don't do it.

bm80
9/6/16

I understand that a free service will not contain as many features and benefits as a paid service. But the Basic/free service on roommates.com is worth exactly what you're paying for it. People who email under the Basic service don't match your preferences, so what's the point? And you can't actually see the emails anyway, so what's the point?

This is an actual quote from a customer service rep in the Q&A on SiteJabber:
"You do not have to upgrade to receive responses from other other members, but you do have to upgrade to read their responses."

kateg37
9/4/16

I listedan ad for a room to rent but nothing matched for two weeks. Please take my ad off your site if you haven't done so yet.

tabathas2
8/26/16

Absolutely crazy I literally finally found someone sent them a message and when they contact me back I can't read it and it tells me I have to pay and this is my first message like they should most definitely have it where you can send a couple messages for free..!!!!

nb39
8/17/16

A free account is great for everything (except actually communicating with potential roommates or looking at pictures - you have to pay for that). Outdated site, no mobile app, limited abilities... and when I deactivated my account by selecting "Not satisfied with Roommates.com" I received a congratulatory email wishing me luck with the roommate I definitely didn't find on their site. Horrible site.

Tip for consumers: Just don't.

darlad4
8/16/16

I found the perfect roommate through your app. I wish everything could be this easy. I think the matches were superb especially due to the lack of people interested in living in Nevarre.
I found someone the same age, like minded, stable and financially stronge. In a trying time for me. This was the scariest idea for me to let a stranger into my home. Roommates.com made this the easiest transition I've had to make.

pattic20
8/16/16

In just two weeks I found my roommate match. I only use a reliable website for roommate search. I am a return customer of roommates.com, and very happy with my experience. The website is easy to use and is very effective.

zachv
8/16/16

GReat notifications, great profile setups, my only complaint would be the price it could be a few bucks cheaper

velindas
8/16/16

Inviting someone to share your home is stressful and risky for both parties. This is a nice way to get to know a little about the person without letting everything out all at once. This was my first experience with finding a roomer. Now, I have the extra funds I need to keep my household above water, and she has a safe comfortable place for much less than extended stay. My only small complaint is you must register every time you want to open a prospects profile. Not a big problem but it seems a little unnecessary.
Overall, this company reached the people who might be interested in renting where I live. I will use them again.

bobbieg16
7/3/16

I found the perfect roommate within one week. So many to choose from and very easy to use site.

mariez12
6/28/16

Thank you Roommate.com for making the connection that I couldn't have made on my own. After communicating with several candidates I found the perfect roommate. Thank you for making the process easy and reliable.

Best!
MZ

kayleh
6/22/16

Roommates.com seriously was awesome in helping me find a roommate. I signed up on a few other websites to find a roommate and no others quite compared. I am extremely organized and felt like roommates.com and their layout was as well. It was easy to describe what I had available for rent as well as list all of the features and details. They also have an internal email feature that makes it easy to communicate with potential future roommates without giving out any of your personal contact information. I upgraded to the 30 day membership so I could have access to view emails from potentials as well as have access to other information. I literally found and decided upon my roommate 1 day before my upgraded membership expired, which is awesome because I'm super picky and I did not even know that it was expiring the next day! I really do recommend this and only this website if you're searching for a roommate!

jol229
6/14/16

I only had a few matches (6-8) who were seeking in my area for my price but when it came down to actually trying to reach out and get in touch with these matches, no one would respond to my queries. The least they could have done would be to reply, "No thanks, not interested." The gentleman who contacted me was not even one of my matches but I think he searched in a broader range and found me. He moves in tomorrow!

faiths15
6/10/16

I have been on this site for a while but never upgraded. Once I upgraded the possibilities became endless! This site is more economical than other sites like roomster.com. If you have to contact this site, they respond timely even if all you're doing is deactivating your account. And it's not some automated system generated response either. I had the pleasure of receiving an email from Jessica and I think the fact rhat the email was personalized made me feel even better about the site. Yes I found a roommate!!! Too bad 10 stars is not an option!!!

karene52
6/7/16

I've been using roommates.com for about 8 years. I have found ALL my best roommates there!

sharonc90
6/3/16

I had a wonderful experience with Roommates.com last year. I had a roommate that was very thoughtful and kind. We hit it off from the very beginning. I would hope that all roommates were as great as Paula. Sadly, we had to move as our lease was up and she decided to get married. I recommend "roommates" at least as a starting place if you are looking to share expenses.

barbaraf52
6/3/16

This site helped me narrow my search, both with regards to age and personality. I found a roommate that is just perfect for me, and we have SO much in common it's phenomenal. Thanks so much, as after a Craigslist bad experience, these results worked out so well.

russellg18
5/31/16

Your site to easy to list and to contact potential roommates. I would have give your sites 5 out of five stars.

carrieg21
5/31/16

Great site, lots of options for roommates for the space I was offering. Easy to use. Impressed. Will recommend to others.

charf3
5/26/16

Scammers and poor quality tenants pool.

raeannh
5/23/16

I'm on my forth roommate utilizing Roommates.com. I have had great success. 1st roommate = 4 years, 2nd roommate = 1 year, 3rd
roommate = 2 years. My next roommate moves in on the first of June and I am confident that this will be as successful as the previous 3.
Thank you roommates.com!!!!!

wymanc
5/23/16

Step 1: Make a profile. If you want to go to Step 2, you have to pay. Would be nice to get a few free messages to try it out. I have a feeling some of the emails I'm receive are from fake accounts trying to contact me, so I will pay for roommates.com's upgraded services to read the messages. The term "upgrade" should really be "basic" services. You can't even view other members enlarged profile pictures. This is the only review I've ever made on a service. I feel that this business model is sooo poor, I had to comment. There have been so many complaints about this and the company still hasn't changed it's business model. Shows what Roommates.com really care about. $$$

brunom45
5/16/16

I used the website for almost a month and it was really helpful, now I found what I need. I had many options by the way. I truly appreciate it. Thank you guys

smithr16
5/9/16

The website is user friendly and i was given a good choice of candidates. I found my roommate within 3 weeks. I would definitely use the website again.

johnm748
5/2/16

After searching and contacting different potential roommates for a couple of weeks, I found a very nice person who was renting out a beautiful house. We met and talked, and I checked out the premises and honestly couldn't ask for a nicer place to live. I highly recommend the website and I would not hesitate to use it again in the future if the need arises. Thank you.

11 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Roommates.com staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
7/22/16
Answer
jessicar18
A: Hello,

Roommates.com is a bulletin board service so it is important for you to be cautious. If you feel comfortable with the person you have been talking to it is up to you if you want to have them come view your residence. It might be a good idea to use a background checking service if you can.

Roommates.com Customer Support
6/25/16
Answer
jessicar18
A: Hello,

You do not have to upgrade to receive responses from other other members, but you do have to upgrade to read their responses. You are able to see the nickname of who is messaging you so you always have the option of sending your contact information in the free messages that you send out to other members if you aren't ready to upgrade.

If you have additional questions please contact us at support@roommates.com.

Roommates.com Customer Support