Review of Roommates.com

Roommates.com reviews

elisem9
12/10/17

I was able to locate a compatible roommate within a few days, within my budget and in the desired geographical area. I would not hesitate to recommend this service.

rommelf
11/23/17

I was made to pay $19 to be able to get a room mate but all I got was emails and phone no that I think are fabricated because when you call the number nobody ever answer . For you people out there dont fall for this site its totalk a scam.

Response from Customer-Support -., Roommates.com Representative
Hello,

We are sorry you are not happy with the site and we assure you that Roommates.com is not a scam. Roommates.com is a bulletin board service so you do have to be cautious, but we have assisted countless members in finding the perfect roommate.

We understand that finding a roommate can be a difficult and frustrating process, especially if you are not receiving as many valid responses as you'd like. We do offer several ways for you to increase your match results. Aside from your My Matches List, we also offer a Power Search, and a Broad Power Search option.

Obviously we would love to see everyone who uses Roommates.com be successful in their search for a roommate, but as always, some areas may have more roommate potentials than others. However, taking advantage of all options we offer will help you to make the most of our service.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

attya
11/12/17

This was a very helpful site,i will use it again in future and i will recommend it to anyone looking for a roommate.Thank you roommate.com it was worth my money the subscription was worthy it.it took me less than a week to find perfect roommates.thank you.

victorl60
11/3/17

I paid and what ever they show was not true. This a scam.....do not pay for this site. At the beginning before paying the membership, it shows what you are looking for, but when you pay those offers you can never find them.

Response from Customer-Support -., Roommates.com Representative
Hello,

I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience on our site. Roommates.com is not a scam. We are a bulletin board service for people looking for a room and people renting out a room. Members activate and deactivate their profiles daily depending on whether they still need a roommate, so the selection of what is available will change on a regular basis.

Posting your profile and sending messages to other members with your contact information is completely free. Paying for a membership makes it so you can read your incoming messages from other members, so one of the two people trying to communicate would have to pay for a membership.

If you want to give us another try we would love to give you some helpful tips on how to get the most out of the website and your membership. You can contact us at support@roommates.com.

connorv3
10/31/17

Looking for a room to rent, very few useful contacts and the six of them were in the first couple days as they were long existing. The remainder additional contact over the month were a few other persons looking for a room (anywhere location) so seemingly just filling up online space. I found a splendid room via Craig's List.

Response from Customer-Support -., Roommates.com Representative
Hello,

We are glad you were able to find a roommate, even if it was on a different website.

Roommates.com is a bulletin board service. As always, some areas may have more roommate potentials than others. Even though you were not successful in using our website, if you should require a roommate in the future, we ask that you give us a second chance.  We would be more than happy to explain how to get the most out of your account with Roommates.com, even with the free service, at support@roommates.com.

Thanks for giving us a try!

martys39
10/23/17

There were only 4 matches, probably because I'm an older man. Still, one of them replied via Roommates email, and after a few exchanges, we switched to our regular emails, and I was accepted! I had not heard of roommates.com before another friend told me about it, and I'm obviously glad I gave it a try. I only paid for 3 days, and that's all I needed.

Tip for consumers: Trying it for $5.99 for three days was worth it to me.

lb110
10/18/17

I found a very thoughtful and grateful roommate.. I looked through Craigslist but saw so many shady people with checkered paste, pets, kids, live in girlfriends and very little money to pay rent

My guy was former AF like me and paid me a whole months rent since I waived the deposit.
.Roomates seek you out unlike on risky Craig's list.

It was well worth my subscription. Great conclusion and easy process.

bonnieh77
10/13/17

This was my first time using Roommates.com and was really helpful finding a good roomer ... thank you for that. Receiving notices that I had a match was very helpful and that is how I found my current roomer ... will definitely sign up again when the need is there. I requested a picture ID and proof of income ... then I found the person used Facebook and confirmed they were who they said ... we were to meet for coffee before coming to my home, but after the picture ID and proof of income (government letter) I was satisfied. Both my husband and myself are very happy using Roommates.com ... never ever use Craigslist again ... raunchy ads that are unreal and just to read them are disgusting ... I am recommending Roommates.com to others.

tommyh44
10/13/17

You can't read any messages you get without paying them a fee. Forget that folks, save your money. I'm going back to good ol' Craigslist.

Response from Customer-Support -., Roommates.com Representative
Hello,

We have designed our site so you are able to utilize the website without purchasing a membership and many of our users have successfully found roommates this way. The most common ways for people do to so is to send contact information within emails to other users and/or post contact information within profile descriptions for other users to see. So while it is true that without having a paid membership you do not have the benefit of being able to read emails that you receive through our site, you do still have the opportunity to achieve your goals while utilizing the free portions of the site.

If you have any questions on how to utilize the website and/or make the most out of your membership, please let me know. We will be happy to provide you with additional tips on using Roommates.com at support@roommates.com.

markm423
10/10/17

This site $ucks! Almost impossible to post or do anything unless you become a member. They make it nearly impossible to navigate, post, edit, respond - and basically use the thing. DON'T DO IT!

Response from Customer-Support -., Roommates.com Representative
Hello,

It’s unfortunate that you had a hard time figuring out how to use the site. Here are some steps that might help you out.

Once you fill out all the necessary information, our Matching system will begin looking for matching members and post those on your account for you to view. To edit any portion of your profile, you will first need to log into your Roommates.com account. Once logged in, click the Edit Profile link on the left-hand side of the website under Account Settings. From there, simply click the Edit button next to the appropriate section and you can begin making your changes. When you are through, click the Save button.

Once you find a member you feel could be a good match, you can send them an email from your account Mail Center, or click Contact member in the top right of their profile page, all for free. If they reply to you, you can then upgrade to Choice Membership to read their message, with fees starting as little as $5.99 for our 3 day trial.

Although our website is a self-service website, our Customer Support department is more than willing to answer any questions you may have concerning your account at support@roommates.com. Feel free to email us if you ever need any sort of assistance.

Good luck in your roommate search and please contact me if you have any further questions.

kristyb17
10/4/17

Found a great housemate. Relocating across country is one of the hardest things I've done. She is a treasure. Honestly don't know what I would do without her. Thank you, Roommates. com!

rickg71
10/2/17

Signed up, had a room to rent. They were very efficient and website is very user friendly. Found just what I was looking for.. Jessica your the best!!!

timothyp35
8/28/17

This is the best site available for room mate service by far. They go above and beyond for customer service !!!

mem165
8/18/17

NOTHING but scams on Clist. Then I remembered about Roommates.com, which I'd used five years ago. Found a perfect match the day after I signed up. So worth the $20!

kjelln4
8/15/17

To my big surprise I found matches immediately and had a settled deal within 2 days and yes I only paid for 3 :) well worth it. So much better than Craig's and BP the sense of security is high and the very first mail was instantly deleted and dumped before I even got it recognized as spam, impressive.

anitar44
8/10/17

This has been the best way, the best site to find good housemates! Thank you so much! This shows what the new housemate wants, non-smoking or smoking, animals or children.
Anita

maryb481
8/7/17

I feel that sometimes it might take a little longer, but by far the best way to find someone to share your home with. Thank you roommate for your program, being a senior it is difficult to know who and what you might be getting, This program gives the opportunity to ck people out and end up with someone very special.

ethelm25
7/31/17

First of all, I would like to say Thank You for your great program. With your service I was able to find a great roommate. Also, I appreciate how quickly your support team responded when I had a question. I would highly recommend your service to anyone.

mattg88
7/31/17

Roommates.com has twice successfully assisted me with finding a roommate. I will use them again in the future.

benb143
7/26/17

Roommates.com is a great service that connects you to trustworthy people. I found a great roommate from this site! Giving 4 stars instead of 5 because I don't get nearly as many leads as I do from other sources [i.e. craigslist and facebook], but in the end Roommates.com was the source that ultimately allowed me to reach my goal. Very easy to set up and free to use

danielles119
7/26/17

I found a roommate through here, and trusted it because I thought it would go by personality. I emailed roommates.com support just to let them know that it simply just did not work for me and it was a horrible experience. All they replied back was that I should have done a background check. Well, background checks don't always show that people are insane and thieves. I am more upset with the lack of caring by the website more so than my horrible experience with my roommate. Finding a roommate in a big city that you do not know anyone is hard enough, and though in theory this website is a great idea, they need to show a little bit more compassion for when it doesn't work. I wish they would at least refund people when their website does not work. I will not be recommending this to anyone, and highly believe you should not use it. Save your money.

Response from Customer-Support -., Roommates.com Representative
Hello,

We are glad that you found a roommate on the site, but it’s unfortunate the roommate you chose didn’t work out. The site doesn’t have options to match personalities, it just matches basic preferences, such as location, smoking, pets, etc. There is no guarantee that roommates will be a good fit when using a bulletin board service unless you have spent a good chunk of time with them, and even then it is not the same as living together. The site doesn’t do background checks or prescreen its members so you do have to be careful and use caution.

Hopefully you will find a new roommate soon that you are happy with.

If you have additional questions don’t hesitate to contacts at support@roommates.com.

amanuelc
7/25/17

It's a fraud website... please don't be fooled unless you want to loose your 60 bucks like me!!! I would have given -5, if there was negative ratings.

Response from Customer-Support -., Roommates.com Representative
Hello,

We are sorry you are not happy with the site and we assure you that Roommates.com is not a scam. We have assisted countless members in finding the perfect roommate.

We here at Roommates.com understand that the process of finding a roommate can be difficult. It's unfortunate that you didn't have any luck finding a roommate in the area you were looking. Please take a moment to let us know why you felt our website was not helpful. Perhaps it is an issue that we can correct? Obviously we would love to see everyone who uses Roommates.com be successful in their search for a roommate. However, we do realize that is not always the case as the process of finding a roommate can be difficult.

Roommates.com is a bulletin board service. As always, some areas may have more roommate potentials than others. If you are still looking and would be willing to give us another try, please contact us at support@roommates.com. We do have some tips to help you make the most out of Roommates.com with the free portion of the website and would like the opportunity to assist you in finding a roommate.

Thank you for giving us a try and we hope to hear from you soon!

Roommates.com Support​​
grantl18
7/10/17

Roommates.com was great, I found the ideal roommate within three days. Thank you roommates. I have tried oiher services in the past but no one came close to roommates.
Great job guys.

katf14
7/5/17

I'm a very picky professional - I recommend Roommates.com as it is easy, efficient and has good quality members. It is well worth the $30 to help with such an important area of our lives ! Customer service was very responsive, too when I couldn't log on once

celestec9
6/27/17

This is the second time I have used the service and I recommend it to everybody. I have used it to search in my neighborhood and across the country. I gave myself enough time to get to know my roommate and research the area and have yet to be disappointed.

Hello, In addition to the tips that you have already received, it is helpful to post pictures of your place for rent. Many people will not consider an ad without photos or information in the Comments section of your profile. Roommates.com is a bulletin board service. As always, some areas may have more roommate potentials than others, but if you add photos and fill in the Comments section it will definitely up your chances for finding a roommate. If you have additional questions contact us at support@roommates.com Roommates.com Customer Support

By Customer-Support -. [Roommates.com Rep]

As the others have said, the roommates.com company tries it's best to monitor their site. They are responsive to complaints/problems. The basic "untruth" is that you can find a match even if neither person pays. I have yet to find a way to sneak a personal email address into the info that is available for free. At least one person has to pay. I have received and replied to many emails; giving the person a personal email address. I have gotten very few replies. I have had no overt contact with scammers or loonies but I have received emails from people who live 40 miles from my requested area. Their power match feature is not helpful because it only lists maximum rent. So I'm constantly being sent matches from people who want to pay way too little money. I'm looking for a roommate using the most classic definition of the word. 2 people look for a place, sign a lease together, and share everything 50/50. What this site mainly has are room rentals. Often furnished room rentals. (Which brings up another question, what kind of person, aged 40-70, has nothing but clothes? No other possessions?) I've been renting a room, living in someone else's house for almost 2 years. And I'm so over it.

By BH J.

Hello, This is Roommates.com Customer Support. I'm glad you are giving us a try! We have helped countless members find roommates. Most sites end up having members on the site for the wrong reason, but we do our best to keep them off. It was our intentions when we started this site for it to be an effective tool for people regardless of whether or not an upgrade was purchased. To achieve this goal, we have designed our site so you are able to utilize the website without purchasing a membership and many of our users have successfully found roommates this way. The most common ways for people do to so is to send contact information within emails to other users and/or post contact information within profile descriptions for other users to see. So while it is true that without having a paid membership you do not have the benefit of being able to read emails that you receive through out site, you do still have the opportunity to achieve your goals while utilizing the free portions of the site. As with most websites, there are added benefits to purchasing an upgrade. Those benefits include having full access to your roommates.com emails as well as being able to view larger photos, maps, and the comment sections of other member's profiles. Purchasing an upgraded membership can be done at any time. Many individuals who utilize Roommates.com wait to purchase an upgrade until they have several emails waiting for them. This way, they fully maximize their upgrade. If you have additional questions about how the site works or want some helpful profile tips just email us at support@roommates.com and we will be happy to assist you. Roommates.com Customer Support support@roommates.com

By Customer-Support -. [Roommates.com Rep]

Hello, You are welcome to post your contact information in the comments section of your profile and in the messages you send to other members on the site. We have had many members find roommates with the free service. As with most websites, there are added benefits to purchasing an upgrade. Those benefits include having full access to your roommates.com emails as well as being able to view larger photos, maps, and the comment sections of other member's profiles. Purchasing an upgraded membership can be done at any time. Many individuals who utilize Roommates.com wait to purchase an upgrade until they have several emails waiting for them. This way, they fully maximize their upgrade. If you have any questions on how to utilize the website and/or make the most out of your membership, please let me know. We will be happy to provide you with additional tips on using Roommates.com. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at support@roommates.com. Roommates.com Support

By Customer-Support -. [Roommates.com Rep]

Hello, This is Roommates.com Customer Support. I am sorry to hear you had issues getting back into your account. Please email us at support@roommates.com and we will be happy to assist you with figuring out what the problem is and getting you back into your account. Roommates.com Customer Support support@roommates.com

By Customer-Support -. [Roommates.com Rep]

Hello, To upgrade your account first log in with your nickname and password. Once logged in, please click the Upgrade link on the left side of your account, located under the Account Settings. Choose the appropriate upgrade option (either 3, 30, or 60 days) and click Continue to proceed to the next page. Enter your credit card information and then click Send Payment to process your payment to the site. If the payment is successful, your account will be immediately upgraded and you will receive an email receipt of the payment details. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at support@roommates.com. Thank you, Roommates.com Support

By Customer-Support -. [Roommates.com Rep]

Hello, Roommates.com automated matching service takes the information you enter on your profile, such as location, price, and roommate preferences and matches you with potential roommates for you to contact. To begin the process of looking for a roommate, please create an account at our website, www.Roommates.com. This can be done by clicking on either the Get Started tab at the top of the website, or the Join For Free message in the middle of our homepage. Once you fill out all the necessary information, our Matching system will begin looking for matching members and post those on your account for you to view. Once you find a member you feel could be a good match, you can send them an email from your account Mail Center. If they reply to you, you can then upgrade to Choice Membership to read their message, with fees starting as little as $5.99 for our 3 day trial. If you hit it off with someone on our website, you can then plan to meet in person to further discuss becoming a roommate. Although our website is a self-service website, our Customer Support department is more than willing to answer any questions you may have concerning your account. Feel free to email us at support@roommates.com if you ever need any sort of assistance. Good luck in your roommate search and please contact us if you have any further questions. Roommates.com Support

By Customer-Support -. [Roommates.com Rep]

Hello, Your Roommates.com account must be logged into at least once every 30 days or the system will delete the account for non-use. You are welcome to create a new account to access the site again if you would like. Roommates.com Support

By Customer-Support -. [Roommates.com Rep]

Hello, Thank you for your question. Roommates.com is a bulletin board service so you do have to be cautious when meeting someone you don't know. Please know that we take very seriously scammers and improper use of our website. In order to help ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for our users we have implemented several new security features we believe will reduce the amount of scamming activity on the site. The Report button was created so that members of Roommates.com could report another member directly to us. It is located at the top right of each members profile. If you feel a member is in direct violation of our Terms of Service (TOS) or they could be a scam artist (please see the Scam Alert), we would like to know. Pressing the Report button will notify Roommates.com immediately of an account and we will in turn investigate the account and take the appropriate action. At this time, Roommates.com does not have any resources available for background check services, nor do we have any affiliations with services that we can specifically direct you to. I apologize for any inconvenience this causes. I am able to offer the suggestion of utilizing a search engine like Google to look for services that will best fit your needs. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at support@roommates.com. Roommates.com Support

By Customer-Support -. [Roommates.com Rep]

Hello, Please know that we take very seriously scammers and improper use of our website. In order to help ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for our users we have implemented several new security features we believe will reduce the amount of scamming activity on the site. If the person states they are in Africa, England, or Scotland (those are the usual locations), please end any communication with them. Do not do any financial transactions with them and report any names to us so we can delete them asap. In any of these situations the person will say they are British or American and talk about coming to the states but need help from you with their payment. They say they will send over a large amount of money and then ask you to help send back the still large amount of money that wouldn't be used initially for rent. They are scammers and we are working on taking care of them. The Report button was created so that members of Roommates.com could report another member directly to us. It is located at the top right of each members profile. If you feel a member is in direct violation of our Terms of Service (TOS) or they could be a scam artist (please see the Scam Alert), we would like to know. Pressing the Report button will notify Roommates.com immediately of an account and we will in turn investigate the account and take the appropriate action. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at support@roommates.com. Roommates.com Support

By Customer-Support -. [Roommates.com Rep]
Questions? Get answers from the Roommates.com staff and other customers.

Roommates.com?