Review of Roommates.com

Tel: +1-800-778-7879
support@roommates.com

sherylh42
2/5/19

Even after adding my preferences, I'm getting matches in different cities. And they expect me to pay to read some of the messages.

Response from Customer-Support -., Roommates.com Representative
Hello,

Your matches will be within the radius that you chose around your main city, so depending on how big of a radius you chose there may be additional cities within your radius. Paying for a membership does allow you to read incoming messages from other members, but you can send messages to other members for free and include your contact information if you would like, so at least one of you would need to pay for a membership in order to communicate outside of the website.

Hopefully you are having some luck finding a roommate. If you have additional questions please contact us at support@roommates.com.

djl10
1/19/19

This website is a total scam!!! Complete garbage...I've sent out so many emails to most of the candidates and I have ZERO response!! I don't believe the information this website provided is legitimate! I see the same names re-filtered back to me claiming to be new people looking for a room to rent! This website is FAKE!!!

Response from Customer-Support -., Roommates.com Representative
Thank you for contacting us. Roommates.com is not a fake website. We have assisted countless people in finding roommates. We are a bulletin board self-service website so we cannot guarantee the members posting are legitimate or that they will contact, but we do our best to weed out the duds.

Obviously we would love to see everyone who uses Roommates.com be successful in their search for a roommate. However, we do realize that is not always the case as the process of finding a roommate can be difficult.

Finding the perfect roomie can be a tough game, and often takes some time. We recommend the tips below to help you find the best roomie in the least amount of time if you want to give us another try!

-Put as much detail into your profile as possible. This will make sure that the matches you receive are the most compatible. Also, don't forget pics! Profiles with good pictures tend to get more views and messages.
-Use the "Search" option to find additional matches that are a little broader, but might be a good fit as well.
-Message all of your matches! Getting in touch with as many good matches as possible is hands-down the best way to find a roomie quickly as they will be notified whenever a message lands in their inbox.
-Once you notice that you have some messages in your inbox, consider becoming a VIP member so you can unlock what potential matches are sending.

If you have additional question please contact us at support@roommates.com.

staceyh95
11/23/18

5 years ago I used this site and it was great. This time this was my experience. One roommate changed his address told me he was on his way and never moved in, the other moved to Chicago, I had another try to play the let my boss send you a check cash it and you send me the balance scam and another person contact me trying to scam me for steam giftcards where the fbi got involved. I contacted roommates.com and they refused to provide me a phone number and said have the police email them. If you want to be targeted, stressed out and involve the authorities then by all means use this site. I deleted my account and will never use this site again, it's a nightmare.

Response from Customer-Support -., Roommates.com Representative
Hello,

We are sorry you are not happy with the site and I am sorry to hear you did not receive more valid responses.

We have assisted countless members in finding the perfect roommate. We are doing all we can to stop the scammers. Additionally, we have implemented several new security features we believe will reduce the amount of scamming activity on the site.

If you are still looking and would be willing to give us another try, we would be happy to provide a free 3 day upgrade. We do have some tips to help you make the most out of Roommates.com and would like the opportunity to assist you in finding a roommate.

If you are interested in learning more about utilizing Roommates.com as well as receiving a free 3 day upgrade, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for giving us a try and we hope to hear from you soon!
rangerp
11/5/18

Emails endlessly and repeatedly despite me renting out my plce. I can't stop them. Same ones over and over too. My email is drowning in their garbage. How do I get out?

Response from Customer-Support -., Roommates.com Representative
Hello,

To turn off match notifications, just sign in and click the profile pic/avatar on the top right. Then click “Account” from the bottom of the notifications menu. On the next page, you can scroll down to turn on or off different notifications.

To deactivate your account, please follow these steps:

Click on your avatar or profile picture on the top right-hand corner of the page.
Choose "Account" from the drop-down.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the "cancel your account?" link.
Choose your reason for canceling your account and provide any additional detail you think would be helpful for us to know (we appreciate the feedback).
Click on the "Deactivate My Account" button.

Sometimes, you may not need or want your profile to be available for matches but you know you will need it again in the future. You can accomplish this by hiding your profile.

To hide your profile, please follow these steps:

Choose "Profile" from the drop-down.
Click the "Hide Your Profile" option above your name.
Your profile should update and now indicate that your profile is hidden.

I hope this was helpful. If you have additional questions don't hesitate to ask. You can contact us at support@roommates.com.

bobd278
11/5/18

Worthless. Don't waste your money. They have nobody looking for rooms. It's all BS. Three or four sketchy looking characters who were active on the site a month ago.

Response from Customer-Support -., Roommates.com Representative
Hello,

Roommates.com is not a scam, it is an online bulletin board service much like answering an ad in a newspaper, so not all areas will have an abundance of members to choose from.

You always have the option to adjust your preferences to bring up more matches.

If you would like some additional tips on how to utilize the site please contact us at support@roommates.com.

vennyt
11/4/18

This is one of the worst websites I ever visited.
If you want to search for a roommates say in Boston, MA this website does not have this city added in their listing rather I would have to search by North Quincy, MA to search for roommates in Boston. Not even Quincy city is available in their search.

This is not over, once you submit search for North Quincy, MA it will display so many search results with historical listing of people who found their room mates but it is very difficult to find open listing which you are interested.

The search results does not is separate listing of who want place and who had place to rent everything is mixed up. I had to spend lot of time to figure it out if there is a listing posted some one looking for tenant.

:-(, I gave 1 star as I there was no option to give less than that.

Response from Customer-Support -., Roommates.com Representative
Hello,

It's unfortunate that you did not have a good experience on the site. I'm not sure why your search did not work at the time you tried to use it, but we did test it and Boston, MA came right up and you have the option to choose the Range (radius of how many miles from Boston), Members Who (Have a room or Need a room), Max Rent, and Move in date. We did not find any issues with the search option using your search criteria. Maybe there was a glitch?

We would love for you to give us another try if you would like.

If you have additional questions please contact us at support@roommates.com.

Roommates.com Support.
herbw5
10/19/18

I signed up to find a room and did not receive a single response from anyone having a room to rent. Instead all of responses were from people like myself that were looking for a room. I contacted customer support several times and got just lame excuses. I do not recommend using this Poor Service.

Response from Customer-Support -., Roommates.com Representative
Hello,

That is happening because you clicked the option 'Find a Place Together'. If you decide that you just don't want to mess around with this feature anymore you can easily opt out of this by editing your profile and turning off the 'Find a Place Together?' option under the "Who" section of your profile.

Once that is corrected you should be able to find the matches you are looking for. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to contact us at support@roommates.com.

tessp9
9/13/18

I found a roommate from this site within a couple of weeks. I signed up for 30 day access. I really liked that the cost was reasonable and that I only needed to pay for a short period of time. I dislike sites that keep billing my credit card month after month. Also, the email feature protected my privacy. I feel the platform allows people to connect and share their requirements and photos with ease. I will use it again in the future if I need it again.

donnah334
9/11/18

have used service over the years for roommates search, past 2-3 years the paid site has proven worthless, have gotten roommates from truly free sites more easily...because they have free and paid option, (i paid), many just sign up without full info/details, then don't reply to interest emails because they can't receive/read them, and you don;t know if someone is paid or not- I have a record of at least 18 emails i sent to prospective roommates on the site, not one responded, probably because they were not paying members- what a waste of my time and money, arrgghh!

Response from Customer-Support -., Roommates.com Representative
Hello,

It's unfortunate that you aren't getting as many responses as you would like. As a bulletin board service some areas may have more roommate potentials than others.

All members can send messages to other members for free, but it is up to each member whether they would like to respond to the member sending them a message.

We will have some new updates to the site coming very soon that will hopefully make your experience on our site more positive so keep an eye out for the new changes.

If you have additional questions on how to make the most out of your membership please contact us at support@roommates.com.

bjornb13
9/8/18

Constant roommate match ups from the website and also direct emails from potential roommates kept me awash in options and I went to see many rooms. Also, the tiny paywall gave me piece or mind the other participants were serious. Took three weeks from the day I activated the roommates.com account to the day I gave a deposit. Just moved in.

sophiat30
Sophia T.
9/2/18

Loved this site! Who cares if you have to pay a small $5 fee if you can go through a legit process to find the roommate that perfectly suits you! Successfully found an awesome roommate. We went through the whole process of looking for a place together, applying, and moving in. Thank you!

karene159
8/30/18

My place is in a middle-income suburb so my pool of potential roomies is quite small. Roommates.com makes that limitation much less of an obstacle, so I am consistently able to target those few applicants who really need to live in my area. I highly recommend this tool to anyone regardless of your location. It works great for all areas.

melodyt24
8/28/18

So I was sceptical at first, but after all was said and done I am happy with my experience here. It was easy to understand and they wont just keep charging you after what you pay for expires. Which is a huge plus for me, cause I get busy and forget.

jonim31
8/25/18

I am so happy I was told about roomates.com because I was getting so frustrated and discouraged with craigslist and the classified adds. I heard about roommates.com and it was the best 20 bucks I've ever spent. I found the perfect roommate and the perfect house in a week, and it was so easy to use! Thank you so much roommates.com. I would use you in a heartbeat if I ever need a roommate again.

jedyl
8/22/18

At first I was very skeptical about using any site to find a roommate so naturally I went to craigslist. I should have known that I would find scary, crazy and shady people there (I'm sure there are some good people out there, just hard to find through all the scary). I wasn't too sure about paying for roommates.com but I soon found out there I had way better options and their site was very user friendly. My fiancé and I now have a new friend! And not just a roommate.

lilyj37
8/21/18

Roommates is a great quick service if you are looking for a roommate/s. We have used it 2 times and have been successful both times. We have been fortunate to find good drama free roommates. Like everything else, you need to be careful and interview prospective roommates and renters as well thoroughly. When in doubt, don't rent it out or other way around.

stevej266
8/14/18

the site was great I got lots of responses and had several good people interested and rented both rooms inside of one month!

mikel188
8/9/18

Every day or so I get a "match" with a name, gender maybe age, nothing else. I've gotten other "matches" from those who don't read the description and want to apply even though they are a couple and the lease only allows one person. I've a paid member. Won't renew for the 2nd month and will never use again.

Response from Customer-Support -., Roommates.com Representative
Hello,

We are sorry that you are unhappy with how the site works.

Due to the open nature of our website, members are not required to fill out specific criteria regarding themselves or their preferences. Members who choose not to fill out certain parts of their profile such as gender, will be matched with you as long as the portion they do fill out matches your listing. As a bulletin board service we are unable to keep members that don't match your criteria from contacting you.

​If you haven't found a roommate yet and want to give us another try, please contact us at support@roommates.com and we would be happy to give you some tips on how to get more matches and hopefully find a roommate, even with the free portion of the site.

​Roommates.com Support
jonathanc209
8/7/18

Got a compatible roommate, however, the site wanted me to pay $9.99 for membership to read the emails. We ended up having to text instead of using the inbox in the website. If we could read emails without being prompted to pay, I would have given 5 stars. Overall, good experience and I would use them again.

mariannar6
8/3/18

I was looking to rent my extra room longer term than a week or two, but not for a whole year. I was able to rent my space in only 3 days ! It worked out great. I highly recommend the service !

susane181
8/1/18

I wanted to save money and simplify my life. I needed a Roommate. Roommates.com made it possible for me. It was easy, effective and worth it. Thanks to Roomates.com

tomz32
7/26/18

I've used Roommates.com twice in the past year, and have had excellent success both times. Yes, there are scammers. (Just use your common sense.) Yes, it costs money. ($20 is a great investment to find someone you're going to be living with for a year!) Yes, it works. I would highly recommend it. Not everyone you email will respond, and not everyone who responds to your post will be someone you emailed. But by using the website's mail feature to communicate with potential roomies before giving out any personal information, you should be able to find a great match. It's worked for me twice, and I'll definitely use them again when the time comes! Good luck, be safe, and enjoy your new roommate!

davidh1172
7/17/18

Chatted with one of your customers, met in less than 48 hrs, great match, and they are moving in at the first of the month..

judeg10
7/7/18

Found some matches right away, and yes, I had to pay in order to read my messages or respond to potential roommates. In the end, I found a great roommate in the city I live in, and it all worked.

romonaw
7/3/18

Found three choices for a room right away- went to each place- found just what I need! The site is careful with personal data so I could easily decide who to go see.

Hello, In addition to the tips that you have already received, it is helpful to post pictures of your place for rent. Many people will not consider an ad without photos or information in the Comments section of your profile. Roommates.com is a bulletin board service. As always, some areas may have more roommate potentials than others, but if you add photos and fill in the Comments section it will definitely up your chances for finding a roommate. If you have additional questions contact us at support@roommates.com Roommates.com Customer Support

By Customer-Support -., PuppyFind.com Representative

As the others have said, the roommates.com company tries it's best to monitor their site. They are responsive to complaints/problems. The basic "untruth" is that you can find a match even if neither person pays. I have yet to find a way to sneak a personal email address into the info that is available for free. At least one person has to pay. I have received and replied to many emails; giving the person a personal email address. I have gotten very few replies. I have had no overt contact with scammers or loonies but I have received emails from people who live 40 miles from my requested area. Their power match feature is not helpful because it only lists maximum rent. So I'm constantly being sent matches from people who want to pay way too little money. I'm looking for a roommate using the most classic definition of the word. 2 people look for a place, sign a lease together, and share everything 50/50. What this site mainly has are room rentals. Often furnished room rentals. (Which brings up another question, what kind of person, aged 40-70, has nothing but clothes? No other possessions?) I've been renting a room, living in someone else's house for almost 2 years. And I'm so over it.

By BH J.

Hello, This is Roommates.com Customer Support. I'm glad you are giving us a try! We have helped countless members find roommates. Most sites end up having members on the site for the wrong reason, but we do our best to keep them off. It was our intentions when we started this site for it to be an effective tool for people regardless of whether or not an upgrade was purchased. To achieve this goal, we have designed our site so you are able to utilize the website without purchasing a membership and many of our users have successfully found roommates this way. The most common ways for people do to so is to send contact information within emails to other users and/or post contact information within profile descriptions for other users to see. So while it is true that without having a paid membership you do not have the benefit of being able to read emails that you receive through out site, you do still have the opportunity to achieve your goals while utilizing the free portions of the site. As with most websites, there are added benefits to purchasing an upgrade. Those benefits include having full access to your roommates.com emails as well as being able to view larger photos, maps, and the comment sections of other member's profiles. Purchasing an upgraded membership can be done at any time. Many individuals who utilize Roommates.com wait to purchase an upgrade until they have several emails waiting for them. This way, they fully maximize their upgrade. If you have additional questions about how the site works or want some helpful profile tips just email us at support@roommates.com and we will be happy to assist you. Roommates.com Customer Support support@roommates.com

By Customer-Support -., PuppyFind.com Representative

Hello, You are welcome to post your contact information in the comments section of your profile and in the messages you send to other members on the site. We have had many members find roommates with the free service. As with most websites, there are added benefits to purchasing an upgrade. Those benefits include having full access to your roommates.com emails as well as being able to view larger photos, maps, and the comment sections of other member's profiles. Purchasing an upgraded membership can be done at any time. Many individuals who utilize Roommates.com wait to purchase an upgrade until they have several emails waiting for them. This way, they fully maximize their upgrade. If you have any questions on how to utilize the website and/or make the most out of your membership, please let me know. We will be happy to provide you with additional tips on using Roommates.com. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at support@roommates.com. Roommates.com Support

By Customer-Support -., PuppyFind.com Representative

Hello, This is Roommates.com Customer Support. I am sorry to hear you had issues getting back into your account. Please email us at support@roommates.com and we will be happy to assist you with figuring out what the problem is and getting you back into your account. Roommates.com Customer Support support@roommates.com

By Customer-Support -., PuppyFind.com Representative

Hello, At this time, Roommates.com does not have any resources available for background check services, nor do we have any affiliations with services that we can specifically direct you to. I apologize for any inconvenience this causes. I am able to offer the suggestion of utilizing a search engine like Google to look for services that will best fit your needs. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at support@roommates.com. Roommates.com Support

By Customer-Support -., PuppyFind.com Representative

Hello, Roommates.com is a bulletin board service so we do not prescreen our members, but our staff is engaged in ongoing searches and account reviews to catch any threats. We also have a number of other fraud prevention tools and techniques that we are keeping a secret so scammers can't learn and try to circumvent them. We also provide a handy FAQ doc called "Safety Tips" that we highly recommend all users read and familiarize themselves with to help ensure safety when connecting with people online. Unfortunately, sometimes scammers and weirdos do get through which is why we have created a "Reporting" and "Blocking" feature available on all profiles that you can quickly use to flag any account you feel is suspicious. This will ensure that we get eyes on it right away and start to track down what's going on. If you have additional questions don't hesitate to contact us as support@roommates.com. Roommates.com Support

By Customer-Support -., PuppyFind.com Representative

Hello, A Roommates.com Basic Membership always has and always will be free. But there are indeed many benefits to upgrading your membership status! When we started this service, we designed the site so that people are able to utilize the website without purchasing a membership and many of our users have successfully found roommates this way. The most common ways are to send contact information within emails to other users and post contact information within profile descriptions for other users to see. Without having a paid membership you do not have the benefit of being able to read Roommates.com emails that you receive, but you do still have the opportunity to achieve your goals while utilizing the free portions of the site. What's included in an upgraded membership? Complete Profiles: Access to view a potential roommate's full profile, including their handwritten bio Full-Sized Photos: See photos of your potential roommate or their house Unlimited Access to All Received Messages: Read what potential roommates are sending you Membership Options 3 Days for $5.99 30 Days for $19.99 60 Days for $29.99 Monthly $15.99 *3-Day, 30-Day, and 60-Day memberships are one time payments and expire at the end of their duration. The Monthly option automatically rebills each month until you cancel it. We hope this helps. If you have additional questions don't hesitate to contact us at support@roommates.com. Roommates.com Support

By Customer-Support -., PuppyFind.com Representative

Hi there, Thanks for getting in touch. Members who need a room can specify up to 3 city/state locations, with a surrounding radius around each one. As long as your home falls within one of the radiuses the member has selected they can appear as a match. We allow each member the ability to select their own radius based on what they individually feel is appropriate for their needs. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at support@roommates.com. Thank you,

By Customer-Support -., PuppyFind.com Representative

Hello, Thank you for giving Roommates.com a try and I am sorry to hear you did not receive more valid responses. As a bulletin board service sometimes scammers and weirdos do get through which is why we have created a "Reporting" and "Blocking" feature available on all profiles that you can quickly use to flag any account you feel is suspicious. This will ensure that we get eyes on it right away and start to track down what's going on. We also provide a handy FAQ doc called "Safety Tips" that we highly recommend all users read and familiarize themselves with to help ensure safety when connecting with people online. We understand that the process of finding a roommate can be difficult. Hopefully these tips will help and you give us another try. If you have additional questions please contact us at support@roommates.com. Roommates.com Support

By Customer-Support -., PuppyFind.com Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Roommates.com staff and other customers.

5 Photos for Roommates.com