Review of Roomster

Tel: +1-916-445-1254
help@roomster.com

derekf42
1/17/19

A crappy site designed to make you spend. They entice renters in....force free profile creation.....then make you pay to receive messages....I believe the so called messages are fake and created by Roomster itself..Dont like my review or allegations? SUE ME! In court you will have to produce Terry, Angelica, Mary etc. The so called people who messaged me.

nickt133
1/16/19

I signed up for the 5 day trial for $7 and after 5 days without notifying me they charged me $25 for the monthly subscription even though I didn't even open the website. And when I tried to get in contact without the Customer Support people, there is no phone number and they said I authorized the $24 dollar payment which I never did because I didn't even log onto the website. Stay away from Roomster this is horribly managed.

gianninar4
1/6/19

Don't use them. They are rude scam artists. Even if you are polite to them, their responses are terrible when you ask for a refund.

maxa58
12/13/18

Was lured from Craigslist with deceptive advertising. They advertise on craigslist asking you to create an account to apply for the Craigslist advertised room. I created an account and paid for a week subscription. I Sent out 13 messages about open rooms on the website and didn't get a single response. I'm not even convinced that the advertised postings on Craigslist were real; they're really just looking to lure you into a paid subscription. I don't mind paying for a legitimate service, but this reeks of deceptive advertising and foul play.

Response from John S., Roomster Representative
Max, Every single listing on Roomster is created by a real person using a social login and verified using an email & text. We record an ip address for every single account created and login history. I'm sorry that you didn't like our service, but your post is irresponsible. As you may know you created an account on roomster on 1/13/2017 11:39:30 PM, using FB login we verified you using your Linkedin, email & text on 12/3/2018 9:38:58 PM when you accessed your account. All our users are just as real as you.
kirstenm13
10/29/18

subscribed for a trial period. NOT ONE person replied. This is such a rip-off. I even contacted a person on craigs who then said to go on roomster. however: on that site i could NOT find the room i looked at. i texted the person via craigslist. No reply - nothing. None of them have answered so far. I cancelled my trial after 3 days. will see if they charge me for another 30 days or 7 days. i am thinking of calling my bank to avoid any future charges.

juellesc
10/25/18

I tried the five-day Roomster trial. I live in New York City, so I figured the site would have some legit listings as it can be a tough city to find housing. For every one real listing there are 15 scam listings. I'd also like to note that there are not many real users / listings on here.

I wish Roomster would take an active role is cleaning up the false listings. You can tell they are fake because 1. the rent prices are insanely low 2. the user immediately asks to chat with you via email and tells you he is out of town for his job and you can wire him the monthly rent.

I'm only out $7.95 so it's not the worst thing in the world, but I would not recommend this particular site. Instead, I had success with the Roomi app and Spare Room.

nikkif27
10/20/18

This website is terrible and very misleading! I signed up for a 5 day trail period which was $7.95. They lead you to believe that you are paying for just those specific amount of days. Turns out that they just automatically renew your account with a monthly subscriptions. The way they operate is really SHADY considering that there is no notices before or after the charges, not even in an email like most normal and ethical businesses would do. I found out 2 months later that they charged me $24.95 twice; 5 days after my trail period ended and then again on October 18th. Their customer service is trash. Most online subscriptions that I have dealt with usually refund charges even if you canceled the subscription after the billing period, especially if you were not aware. The guy who I was speaking to online was so useless and unhelpful.Terrible customer Service! Also the majority of the profiles on roomster are scammers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The fact that they save your credit card information online is also very shady!!

pavithram1
10/14/18

I signed up for the 5-day trial. Any legitimate website sends you a warning email, or notification to remind you that the paid subscription is coming to an end. However, I received nothing and I was charged $24.92 on my credit card.

I got no leads!! Also, no one replied to the messages I sent them. I only got random messages from people who I never contacted. Please stay away from this site.

I agree there is an auto-renewal clause, but so does audible. I had no such experience with other websites. Even if I canceled the subscription after the free period, I was still paid back. I am really upset!

I do not understand why they only picked few members for a refund and they did not provide the others. I see discrimination!!!

They are also PCI violators. They retain the CVV code after purchase, they send it back to you when you dispute the additional payment ($24.92). By sending the purchase details along with your CVV, they share all your highly sensitive information with the online hackers. I had to order a new credit card!!!!!

I only got the refund after raising the CVV code issue. Anyways, be careful guys.

jeremyc139
7/24/18

If you've been frustrated with scammers on Craigslist, just wait till you sign up for a paid account with Roomster. Fraudulent listings abound in this space. I have yet to hear from support about how they deal with these scams.
Never send $$ to someone who promises to mail you the keys to a property.
This website has given me nothing but taken precious time in my search for an apartment to rent.
Those who've wasted money on this scam site have an option to get your money back: Contact your credit card company, describe the scam, and they'll likely dispute the charge to your credit card, and credit back your account.
I've included a screenshot of the correspondence between myself and a Roomster representative.
It appears that founder and CEO of Roomster took the opportunity to lie to you in his reply to my post here. I, in fact, did request a refund and was denied, as you can see in the attached photo. Only by contacting my credit card company, was I able to sequester a refund. It is not surprising that Mr. John Shriber's company has 213 complaints with the Better Business Bureau and has just 1 star on Sitejabber.

Response from John S., Roomster Representative
Yes, Jeremy Cowen used our service for ONE day before contacting his credit card company. he also contacted us, and we issued him a refund right away.
We even sent him a message on 7/24/2018 3:20:38 PM saying so. "
In response to your concerns regarding billing, your account has been approved for a full refund. The request has already been sent to Roomster’s billing department to be processed. We will let you know as soon as your account has been credited. In the meantime your account status had been reverted back to the basic “free account”.
Jeremy Cowen https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeremy-cowen-a80204137/ is not a very nice person, we issued him a refund & he writes an untrue review and is proud that he tried to steal from us. Sad.

**please also note that we serve millions of people each year. 213 complaints over 3 years is less than .00003% of total users.
olofd
4/3/18

Tried it and it was horrible. Literally only spam messages that were irrelevant to my search, and expensive. Did the 5 day trial. After 4 days (?!) the charged for the next month. What is the point of a 5 day trial if you are charging for another month after 4 days? Complete rip off, stay away.

Response from John S., Roomster Representative
This review, is not accurate. Olof Dallner purchased a subscription on 3/27/2018 2:05:55 PM that renewed on 4/1/2018 12:28:02 PM. THAT'S MORE THAN FIVE DAYS!!!!

All Roomster subscription charges were authorized by you at the time of purchase via PayPal and a receipt was sent to you with instructions how and when to cancel to avoid any additional charges.

- PayPal Subscription: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-recurring-payments&encrypted_profile_id=I-4K19K0UAX2WU

- Purchase Receipt: https://www.roomster.com/user/receipt/NjE0c0hBb2I0aDZ3Y0pjbU9yNVpDYytmVTg3MXc2bjU=

- Billing History: https://bnc.lt/diNm/whBnNyqkSI?path=settings

If you "Cancel Subscription" (https://bnc.lt/diNm/whBnNyqkSI?path=settings) you will have full access to your mailbox for the duration of your paid period, but it will not be renewed.

Our visual tutorial (https://www.roomster.com/tutorial) is available to view the process of subscribing and canceling.
gregga11
3/26/18

Nothing on here is legit. I messaged so many people and didn't get a single reply. I would get random messages from people saying "I spoil my roommates" and other super weird stuff. $30 and a month later, not a single lead.

UPDATE: "Customer Service" has reached out to me several times telling me that they will refund my money if I take down my review. I said, you give me the money back, I'll take down my review"...3 months of going back and forth, forgetting our entire email history a few times, still no refund so....my review is still here!

alexiab5
3/23/18

---UPDATED---

A Roomster Rep contacted me. He gave me a refund. Thank you Roomster! Here's a copy of his response to me and my original review at the bottom. I would rate this site 4 stars considering the site doesn't have anything other than automated chat bots. John was right, I had overreacted. I really didn't know i was going to be charged again. His response:

Alexia. I have gone and processed a refund for the last charge, i had to cancel your subscription, because it was still active. As an FYI had you canceled your subscription on your own you would not have been charged to begin with. The screenshots of your actual payment page & the email we sent you prove that we are not "Scammers" which is really a mean and unfair thing to say, since we are not at all.

best,
John

Original Review-
This site is terrible!! I paid for a 5-day trial period for $7.95 and 5 days later I was charged $24.95 for an additional 5 days!! They did NOT tell me that my trial started a subscription and now I can't pay my credit card bill because they took the money from me with no warning or reminder email or anything. I contacted customer service but they don't have real people, only an automated chat! DO NOT USE THIS SITE. SERIOUSLY.

Tip for consumers: Carefully read the fine print. Don't skim over it because you're in a rush. Really read it.

rachelr106
3/22/18

I got the trial membership and I thought I wouldn't be charged for the full version for several weeks. 5 days later, I was charged 24.95 for the full membership. During the trial period, anyone I messaged never replied. I emailed the company asking for a refund because I believe the information was misleading. They were rude and said I wouldn't be refunded. Please don't waste your time or money. You'll spend 30+ bucks on absolutely nothing.

mattm177
3/1/18

This site is a fraud, fake, a total joke. They misrepresent the cost, say your only paying for limited time ($7.95 for x days) then bam! $24.95 shows up on charge (F@@K you with fine BS print that wasn't clear upfront).

Response from John S., Roomster Representative
Just because a reviewer post a negative review does not make it true. see Matt McGowan's transaction screenshot & the receipt that was sent to him via email.

All Roomster subscription charges were authorized by you at the time of purchase and a receipt was sent to you with instructions how and when to cancel to avoid any additional charges.

- Payment Screenshot: https://www.roomster.com/user/paymentscreen/VFgyVFZjcXkxOVlYRmV6VzBlQ0Vrd0d4bWtEN3YwSjA=

- Purchase Receipt: https://www.roomster.com/user/receipt/VFgyVFZjcXkxOVlYRmV6VzBlQ0Vrd0d4bWtEN3YwSjA=

- Billing History: https://bnc.lt/diNm/whBnNyqkSI?path=settings

erinp48
2/25/18

I listed some rooms we had for rent with many details as to location and price. We were constantly bombarded with folks looking for something completely different (i.e., we are on a farm - clearly stated in ad - and people wanted a room that was close to the metro...or someone wanted to pay $500 monthly including utilities; ad stated clearly it was $1000 plus shared utilities.). To cap it off, they automatically bill you monthly - I signed up for a trial, had no knowledge that it would revert to automatic payment (yeah, I get it - I'm sure it was in the fine print, but there is NO WAY TO CANCEL after your initial 2 weeks). STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM ROOMSTER!

Response from John S., Roomster Representative
Just because someone post a review, does not mean its true! see actual screenshots of Erin Pittman's transactions.

- Payment Screenshot: https://www.roomster.com/user/paymentscreen/UDV3VEk2OFZWM0tBbENFak13ZUNmanNXejFRSTdPdUI=

- Purchase Receipt: https://www.roomster.com/user/receipt/UDV3VEk2OFZWM0tBbENFak13ZUNmanNXejFRSTdPdUI=

katelynh11
2/16/18

I think it was more fate then anything, however, I had nothing but a positive experience with Roomster. The automatic renewal after the 5 day trial happened to me, but it was my fault for not cancelling the service. The site prompts you to create a short bio. This is very appealing when you are going in blind. The site allows you to do quick searches based on amenities you are looking for. I met my now current roommate for happy hour before seeing the house. We instantly clicked and the house was even more beautiful in person. We set a move in date, continued to hang out, and now we are roommates and dating. I am probably biased because I found the love of my life but overall the website and experience was a 10 out of 10.

jasont128
2/14/18

Roomster censored my listing of a room so that it would not appear on maps which people use when looking for a place to live. The tech support people constantly changed the subject each time I tried to point this out, and denied any censorship was taking place. Their responses about off topic issues like not getting emails and scammers make little sense unless they are extremely incompetent or, more likely, knew what they were doing and were just trying to hide it,perhaps hoping I'd close the account. Most people won't have this issue, but, it is much worse than it looks because it, as odd as it will appear to most, actually happened to me on four/four (!!!!) other roommate-related sites, so I think it is the right thing to do to warn people about the possibility of it. At any rate, here is the actual transcript I had with tech support, and you can judge for yourself if you want to do business with this company.

February 11, 2018 11:54:01
Bug Reports
Is my ad visible to others? I have not gotten a single response or message at all in a while.
February 11, 2018 12:00:15
Yes. You have one nice listing for Furnished room near Wheaton Red Line Metro
February 11, 2018 12:23:11
Bug Reports
I clicked on room search, and it was not located on the map.
February 11, 2018 12:29:30
RE: Help & Support
He is seen only by other users.
February 11, 2018 13:08:49
Bug Reports
May I blog about this allegation, that I am not supposed to see my own advertisement?
February 11, 2018 13:13:05
Bug Reports
And can I get your name and address so that readers know who this interesting information about your website should be ascribed to?
February 11, 2018 13:21:19
RE: Help & Support
You can see your listing.
1) Go to "Menu" (tap on your photo on top right);
2) Choose "My listings"
3) Scroll down the site and check or change your listing
February 11, 2018 13:42:46
Bug Reports
But I'm not showing up on the map for others who search for me by the map.
February 11, 2018 13:43:00
You're censoring my ad.
February 11, 2018 13:47:34
February 11, 2018 13:54:42
Bug Reports
Proof that the ad is not showing up to strangers: https://ibb.co/nrVOy7 .
February 11, 2018 13:56:51
RE: Help & Support
The link you sent was not sent to you by Roomster.
February 11, 2018 14:02:37
Bug Reports
Right. I had a snapshot taken of what others see when they view the map. The snapshot does not show the room on the map. This means that people searching for this room by the map cannot see my listing. This explains why nobody has contacted me in about a week about the room. I am not sure why you are not able to comprehend this, and why instead you are focused on the fact that this image was not given by yourself. No, it was not. Why would you prove that you are censoring the ad when you are denying the censoring? That would not make any sense.
February 11, 2018 16:48:34
Bug Reports
CSREP01, you are denying this issue exists, correct?
February 11, 2018 17:05:18
RE: Help & Support
We censor offensive content, but not your listing.
February 11, 2018 17:16:49
Bug Reports
How do you explain the image, or did you refuse to view it?
February 11, 2018 17:21:24
What image?
February 11, 2018 17:45:08
Bug Reports
The one I showed to you at 13:54:42.
February 11, 2018 17:47:44
RE: Help & Support
The link you sent was not sent to you by Roomster.
February 11, 2018 17:49:58
Bug Reports
So, you are refusing to view it? Is that correct? Is there any way I am able to send you an image for your inspection?
February 11, 2018 17:54:13
RE: Help & Support
Please, send it to help@roomster.com
February 11, 2018 17:56:26
Bug Reports
Done. Can you view it now?
February 11, 2018 18:01:53
RE: Help & Support
This is fake from a scam artist.
Look at here:
February 11, 2018 18:04:33
Bug Reports
I doubt we are looking at the same image. What are the first two words in the image you are looking at, starting on the upper left?
February 11, 2018 18:06:42
Silver Spring
February 11, 2018 18:08:29
Bug Reports
Right. Ok. You are saying something is a scammer. Who or what in the picture is a scammer? Also. How is this relevant to the fact that my listing is not showing on the map?
February 11, 2018 18:10:35
RE: Help & Support
This issue is not handled by the helpdesk. Please refer to our Help section for additional information. Thank you.
February 11, 2018 18:53:16
Bug Reports
What section of the help page explains where to go? The possibilities are: 1.ABOUT ROOMSTER 2. JOINING ROOMSTER IS THE FIRST STEP. 3.YOUR PROFILE ON ROOMSTER 4.HOW DO I INCREASE VIEWS TO MY LISTINGS & GET THE BEST RESULTS? 5. POSTING AVAILABLE ROOMS AND APARTMENTS ON ROOMSTER 6. MEET PEOPLE ON ROOMSTER, THEN MEET THEM IN PERSON. 7. MANAGING YOUR ACCOUNT 8. STILL NEED HELP?
February 11, 2018 19:32:28
RE: Help & Support
We can not force our members to email you. It is possible the issue is with your search and criteria. We have no way of knowing if you make for a desirable roommate or if the rent you are asking is fair in your market.
February 11, 2018 19:38:20
Bug Reports
The core issue isn't about lack of messages. It is about my place not showing up on the map. csrep009, did you view the image?
February 11, 2018 20:02:04
Bug Reports
Is there a supervisor I can speak with, or should I assume this issue is totally closed from your perspective?
February 11, 2018 20:05:42
RE: Help & Support
All customer service is done via this helpdesk.
February 11, 2018 20:10:13
Bug Reports
You just contradicted the reply sent at 18:10:35.
February 11, 2018 20:28:04
Bug Reports
I am unable to cancel the account. The dialogue window pops up and then disappears, but nothing happens.
Customer Service
February 12, 2018 10:44:38
Thank you for cancelling your subscription
Thank you for canceling your subscription. All future billing has ended. You will have full access to your Roomster mail box for the duration of your paid period, but it will not be renewed. When your paid time period is up, you will prompted to upgrade again. You may purchase a new subscription any time in the future. A Proof of purchase taken on 12/4/2017 and the Receipt that we emailed you on 12/4/2017 to jason dot arthur dot taylor at gmail dot com are available for your records
Thank you.
The Roomster Team
csrep003
February 12, 2018 10:48:11
Your subscription is canceled

maureenn20
11/29/17

Be careful... the site auto enrolls you in weekly purchases of 7.99 a WEEK and when i attempted to correct the issue w/ the customer service team - they stated that bc i was charged through my itunes acct - it APPLES fault bc they're the ones who charged my account NOT Roomster ?!?! I went to the Better Business Bureau and there are SEVERAL complaints - the company said they had a money back guaranteed - no questions asked but apparently this is the loophole? Below is snapshot of the conversation

In October 2016, Roomster responded to BBB's communications and advised that it has implemented new terms of use for a Money Back Guarantee offer: https://www.roomster.com/Terms. The company says this policy provides a no-questions-asked immediate refund for consumers. Roomster says it will notify the users about this new policy as soon as they have completed the transaction with the company. The company hopes this new policy will provide a faster resolution of customer billing issues and reduce the volume of complaints coming into BBB.

November 13, 2017 21:49:25
RE: Help & Support
This account does not have full access. There have not been any purchases made on this account. You may have another account on Roomster using a different email address or social login credentials.
November 27, 2017 12:27:49
Billing
This is not accurate.... i'm viewing my itunes account and see several charges. Can you please investigate further.
November 27, 2017 12:40:50
Billing
i had the following purchases dated: 9/27 for 7.99 each; 9/12 for 7.99, 9.5 for 7.99, 9/1 for 7.99; 8/23 for 7.99, and my itunes account ID is XXXXXXXXX OR XXXXXXXXXXXXX
csrep003
November 27, 2017 12:55:13
RE: Help & Support
If you purchased Roomster via the ITUNES cancel your subscription there. All transactions were made by Apple, not by us.
November 27, 2017 14:13:12
Bug Reports
I understand that; but it was charged because of Roomster; Apple charged because they were prompted by ROOMSTER. I've since cancelled but based on the above, it states that Roomster guarantees money back, correct?

loganb61
11/8/17

The only people I had contact me about a place were people looking to scam me. Other's I messaged through this app and through their social media and maybe 10% respond. Disappointed.

amire9
9/27/17

These people have so many fake dream home adverts in other pages such as Craigslist that all prompt you to subscribe to this app in order to communicate with them. Most of the adverts in this app are also fake or scam. The problem with their business is not automatic renewal as this is clearly mentioned and you may cancel auto subscription, but the issue is huge volum of scam attempts done in their app. Most of the good looking adverts are fake or scam. Moreover, the way these people get you to this app is also deceitfully. Just beware and dont throw out your money.

arifulh
8/10/17

This is outstanding with survices they provide. I am very much benefited with their survices.. I hope this will help you... you can try it

kater100
8/8/16

I see a lot of people complaining that Roomster "tricked" them by charging them $30 after their 3-day trial, but it clearly states that you have to cancel your subscription once it ends to avoid future charges. I feel pretty bad for the bad rep this company has. I don't think they are trying to con you at all. Btw, Roomster isn't the only company to do auto-renewal post trial. I know from experience. It sucks being caught-off guard, but if you're smart, you won't let it happen to you again. I know I'll be cancelling on time.
Anyway, I think it's important for someone to read this. Don't trust Craigslist links and if you are doubting whether a post is real, contact the person through Facebook if they offer it. You might even have mutual friends! Good luck.

lilis6
6/9/16

I was able to find a few different people through this website and it was exactly what I needed. I was able to find a private room to rent in Miami through this site. I don't know if there are scammers on this website but I have had an overall good experience.

zacharyc25
5/29/16

I initially subscribed for a 3 day trial but did not notice that agreeing to the subscription implied an agreement to automatic renewal of more than the three day trial after the three day trial ends. You must opt out of the automatic renewal before your trial period ends or you will be charged for a new period. This was mentioned in a receipt given to me but I had not read the receipt thinking I would not need it. After complaining of the automatic renewal I was given a complete refund for the automatic renewal charge.

janw63
5/26/16

Found a roommate in 1 week

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer -2

We do not post on Craigslist and do not spam or send any messages like this.

By John S., Roomster Representative

Roomster has a 24/7 fully staffed Help Desk. Please login to your account and you will receive excellent customer service.

By John S., Roomster Representative

These are untrue statements. We have asked our many satisfied customers to post their positive experiences about Roomster to counteract the negative, and mostly untrue statements posted about us. If you notice that Sitejabber has negative reviews of almost every company doing business in the united states. If it was all true, there would be no business left and everyone would be out of work. People never write good reviews, people love to be negative. its sad.

Helpful answer -1

Hi Aminah, Roomster did not post that ad on Craigslist, we did not create that link and there fore we can not offer support for it. This looks to be one of our affiliates, who should not be doing this. We will be removing this person from our affiliate program. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

By John S., Roomster Representative

that makes little to no sense. undeleted? what does that even mean?n you want to create an account after you deleted it? go ahead.

By John S., Roomster Representative

I don't know why you would be asking questions about Roomster on this site, when we have a 24/7 customer service help desk. Go to http:///www.roomster.com

By John S., Roomster Representative

I suggest contacting Roomster's 24/7 customer support service help desk.

By John S., Roomster Representative

Hi David, Thanks for the question. We do not send text messages or spam our clients so its not us! text messages can be sent on Roomster to from one member to another.

By John S., Roomster Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Roomster staff and other customers.

Roomster?