US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

brucek37
8/22/16

This is the sorriest bunch of folks in the entire universe. For the past three months I have not been able to talk to anyone in customer service. All you get is a recording. They do not reply to emails. They have acknowledged they owe me a refund. Cannot communicate with anyone. I believe there are former employees who have stolen my acct No. and phone No. I have been getting harassing calls 5 days a week. They demand to get on my computer. I tell them no and they start calling me fowl language names and then hang up.

suzanned24
8/8/16

After several years of good service, I calked in for a comp clean up.The tech took over my comp and put a false page on the screen telling me that my comp was infected.I knew it was a lie! In the background other employees were cheering him on!.I hung up!!!! Stay clear of Iyogi!

royh65
8/2/16

I was a customer for almost 1 year. They started out great with assisting me with my Macbook Air tech support needs.

However for the last 4 months I have not been able to get tech support to respond.

All the phone numbers listed don't respond.

I paid for a 2 yr subscription. :(((

michelew25
7/26/16

Horrible company. I cancelled my service and I can't get them to stop calling me. It's at the harassment level now and I'm thinking of calling a lawyer to file suit. Today just received 2 calls and I've told them to take me off their list. I've spoken to managers, no luck.

devendrar
7/23/16

so my computer had a virus, so i been subscriber for years now, and guess what when subscriber expired the called obviously to renewed it!. so now my computer came down with another virus and i spend a hold half hour on hold just for a technician. he was so rude!!!! and update my computer spend hours resolving god knows what, and until now it didnt even get resolve. avoid iyogi they scams!!!!

rafuell
7/19/16

For the past couple of months, I have been constantly trying to speak with customer support. I have been put on hold for many hours at a time- or can't get through at all. The tech guys call me up at random hours and offer me their "updating service", and when I attempt to have them connect me to customer service, they connect me to the the supervisor.

The "Supervisor" When I am put in touch with him, I ask him to connect me to customer service he would call me an a**** and a f***** B.

This "Business" should be shut down asap, because the attitude stinks and they are useless.

normanj8
6/29/16

I have had a support contract with them for 3 computers for several years. This past year they have not only talked me into renewing and THEN telling me I needed to purchase additional software, NOW I get no response when I try and get online support!
I am not at ALL happy about having spent all this money and now they don't answer.
ROYAL RIPOFF!!!

zahirk2
6/25/16

i am trying to get iyogi to clean my computer.
no one is answering.
i have an account with them
i want to cancel my service with them

carolyns55
6/15/16

Now that IYOGI is in trouble, I got a call from an "IYOGI TECH" named "Kevin." He claimed that IYOGI was going out of business and he was calling to give me a refund. So first he asked to control my computer remotely, as they always do. Then he started asking for my bank account information so he could refund the money into my checking account. I gave it to him, and he set up some account through my online banking through which to transfer the money. However, the transfer did not go through. So he asked for my ATM CARD information to use in the transfer. Like a dullard,I gave it to him. He said he also needed my driver's license number. When I asked why, he gave me something that didn't make sense, but I had been working with IYOGI for so many years, I wasn't thinking.
Finally he asked me to shutdown my computer for 24 hours so that he could successfully remove all the IYOGI software. Then he would call me in the morning and the refund would be complete.
However, the next morning when I opened my computer, Windows was nowhere in sight -- Only a small box asking for a 9 digit password. Quickly I opened my iPad mini (which he didn't know I had) and opened my online banking information. To my horror, during the night this man had transferred most of the money in my checking account to the account he set up the day before from which he said he would refund my money.
Immediately I called the bank, LifeLock, the police and the credit bureaus. Luckily, between my bank and LifeLock, I got my money back. But I had to re-install Windows on my computer, because I don't trust anything he did to it.
What's worse is he had the gall to call that morning to try to continue the scam.
DO NOT TRUTH ANY OFFER FOR A REFUND!!!!!!!!

Tip for consumers: STAY AWAY! THEY WILL TRY TO SELL YOU SOFTWARE. AND GET ALL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION. THEY WILL HACK YOUR COMPUTER AND YOUR BANK ACCOUNT IF YOU LET YOUR GUARD DOWN.

verad
6/8/16

I feel helpless to get justice done by iYogi. The sales people have pushed me for the last several years to purchase something almost each time I called. The last time I called they said if I buy the "bundle" I would need nothing else. Even though I had time left on tech support ( and the Optimizer to 2017) I I bought the "bundle" to go to June 24 2017. After getting a virus warning I called them on June 6 2016 and they said I had no virus protection, it had expired. Also, they said they have no "bundles". I had had quite enough by that point and asked for a refund. I can't reach customer service, three of their phone lines have been disconnected and the one that goes through just gives a recording to go to the website. I went to refunds on the website and put in my account number, my phone and email and got the message that "Provided customer's detail does not exist". Their motto is "good karma" but they are making very bad karma and they will not succeed. I will wait for the refund of the $149.99 and the prorated Optimizer and tech contract that still has a little time left. When I get a refund I will update this review.

I found the technicians to be very good. It was frustrating to try to understand them but I got through it with frustration but having the issue corrected.

Tip for consumers: I am updating this review because with the help of the Better Business Bureau I did receive the refund of $149.99 and $40 that was left on a previous contract.

I am so grateful to the BBB that I got my money back, it would not have happened without that consumer help organization.

frankb117
5/29/16

I ordered a PC in October 2015, never received it and was told in February it would arrive in 2 weeks. Still haven't received it and trying to get my credit card company to dispute the charge which may be over the time limit which IYogi counts on. BTW IYogi is still claiming a credit was issued and Chase bank said there has been no credit issued for $717.00 It is now May 29, 2016

abhiskekg
4/30/16

Hi, I am an Ex-iYogi Employee, iyogi has not paid it's employees for last 6-7 Months and is under Millions of Debt. The company has now resorted to Fake/Unethical/Incorrect Sales. There are only couple of employees now who are left. The only person responsible for this is the CEO Mr. Uday Challu. They have brought us to such a state that quitting was the only option left. Nice tactics Mr Challu not to pay your employees and bring them to such a stage that they quit in pain, while you live your life lavishly. You are pathetic and dirty beyond words.

stepheng57
4/29/16

are you out of business...I haven't been able to get anyone online for days.......just paid $129.99 and if you are out you owe me money......very disappointed with you after many years of good service....Stephen gurtman

brucek31
4/15/16

Your technicians try to scam every time i call.
They try to get you to purchase something every time you call

kurtg6
4/12/16

I have been with iYogi for a number of years and find starting in 2015 that their Techs do not know what they are doing and each Tech has a different answer for you that requires you to buy more of their products in order for them them to do their work; They never complete the job and promise to have a supervisor call (they never do) to fix the problem. I could go on and on with the problems and lies I have had with them.
If I ever visit India I will definitely go out of my way to have a face to face with them.
BUY USA !!!!!!!

rener22
4/10/16

after paying it always takes a supervisor to find out my payment to $149.99 , they never call back if disconnected and their support twill leave your computer with more issues

johnh280
4/4/16

For years, they were helpful. Now, they are being sued in more than one state. Impossible to get them on the phone. They took about $500 off me recently for "repairs." Now, my computer is worse than before they started. Avoid at ALL costs!

joseu3
3/12/16

This company said if I wasn't happy I could cancel at any time. I cancelled only an hour after signing up because I couldn't understand the rep. I was transferred to a supervisor who tried to tell me I couldn't get a refund to which I said "you are wrong my friend, read your statement". Angrily he hung and and I called my bank to retrieve the submitted payment. Two weeks later my bank notifies me of possible fraudulent charges that are trying to be made to the card. When I asked who it was they said a company names IYOGI. Stay away!!!!!!!

nicolaw12
3/7/16

This company is a disgrace. I have been trying for 6 months to obtain a partial refund due to cancelling my membership with them. So far no luck. Im just fobbed off all the time and lied to. Please don't touch them.

jonathanb94
3/6/16

This company is pretty awful. They were good for the first few years, then greed set in. Every time I called it turned into a time-share-condo level sales job. Then it got worse. After they were sued by the Washington AG in December, no one in billing support answered the phones and customer service chat was disabled for weeks (a coincidence, I'm sure; a billing support person I finally got hold of on Jan. 16 said it was because of the holidays .... suuuuuuuuure, it was.) I've been told FOUR times over nearly two months since then that my refund should show up in the next few days; three times that hasn't been the case. Ostensibly this tech support company can't solve its own technical issue. That's what I've been told. I suspect they're trying to test whether refund-seekers will give up. Is there a class-action lawyer anywhere working on this? It appears this is a common issue.

irenem31
3/1/16

Never deal with overseas support companies! They took the money in advance for five years and just fricking disappeared!!! SO UPSET....
Who do I turn to now with this issue????

anonymousa59
2/28/16

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Dec 16 2015
Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Washingtonians scammed up to $540 each

SEATTLE Attorney General Bob Ferguson today announced a lawsuit against one of the biggest independent tech support providers in the world, iYogi, and its President, Vishal Dhar, to stop a scam that uses deception and scare tactics to pressure consumers into buying unnecessary tech support services.

The lawsuit, filed in King County Superior Court, alleges iYogis tactics are unfair and deceptive business practices that violate Washingtons Consumer Protection Act. The lawsuit also alleges iYogi induced consumers to install unnecessary software as part of its ploy to coerce them into buying tech support services, a violation of Washingtons Computer Spyware Act.

The state seeks to stop these illegal business practices and recover money for Washington victims. The total number of Washingtonians affected will be identified during the lawsuit, but is estimated to be in the hundreds, if not thousands. The state may seek up to $2,000 in civil penalties for each violation of the Consumer Protection Act and $100,000 per violation of the Computer Spyware Act.

Tech support scams defraud consumers and often trade on the good reputations of legitimate businesses, said Ferguson. This lawsuit sends a message to tech support scammers that my office will hold them accountable.

Tech support scams are a national problem with local ramifications. According to Microsoft, an estimated 71,000 Washingtonians lose $33 million each year to these schemes. Nationwide, an estimated 3.3 million Americans suffer $1.5 billion in annual losses from tech support scams.

We applaud the Washington State Attorney Generals Office for its efforts to protect consumers from tech support scams that have reached epidemic levels in recent years, said Brad Smith, Microsofts President and Chief Legal Officer. Over the past 18 months alone, Microsoft has received more than 180,000 customer calls regarding tech support fraud. Todays announcement is an important step toward addressing this issue, which disproportionately affects the most vulnerable segments of our society.

According to AARP State Director Doug Shadel, tech support scams can disproportionately affect older adults.

Despite emerging years ago, the tech support scam continues to plague consumers around the nation, generating more reports to the AARP Foundation Fraud Fighter Call Center here in Seattle (800-646-2283) than any scheme except maybe the IRS Imposter Scam, says Shadel. The bottom line is that manufacturers of computers DO NOT make phone calls or send ads to individual customers about problems with their machines. The best fix for this problem is to simply hang up or contact your service provider independently with questions.

Overview of iYogi

Based out of New York, iYogi has over 5,000 employees with call centers in India. It claims to be one of the biggest independent tech support providers in the world serving over 3 million customers across 11 countries.

iYogi provides subscription-based remote support for personal technological devices such as computers and tablets.

This includes:

Computer diagnostic and repairs;
Security protection;
Performance optimization; and
Antivirus software sales.
Overview of the scam

As part of its investigation, the AGO uncovered the following tactics used by iYogi to sell consumers unneeded tech support services:

In online ads, iYogi associates itself with major technology companies such as Microsoft, Apple and HP. When consumers call iYogi, the representative claims to provide tech support services on behalf of whatever company the consumer inquires about.
After gaining remote access to the consumers computer, iYogi identifies benign but complex-looking files and claims the infected files harm the computer. iYogi misleads the consumer into believing he or she must download iYogis diagnostic software to fully identify the computer problems.
iYogi then produces a diagnostic report on the consumers screen and claims there is malware or other serious defects. iYogi misrepresents the report by telling the consumer these infected files are harming the computer, when in fact the identified items are often routine programs that pose no threat.
Once iYogi has alarmed the consumer, the representative proceeds to aggressively sell a tech support plan to fix the non-existent problems 1 year for $140 or 5 years for $379. iYogi claims the plans cover tech support needs for the length of the contract.
iYogi also informs the consumer the computer doesnt have antivirus software and tries to sell the consumer iYogis antivirus software for up to $80, even if an existing antivirus is already installed.
iYogi also states the consumer needs to update to the Windows 10 operating system, or the computer will be harmed, which it will not. iYogi uses this scare tactic to coerce the consumer into buying Windows 10 for $80, even though Microsoft offers the upgrade for free.
The AGO investigation confirmed that iYogi identified such problems even on a computer with a newly installed operating system.

The AGO alleges these tactics are violations of the Washington Consumer Protection Act and Computer Spyware Act.

In 2005, Washington became one of the first states to adopt a law explicitly prohibiting spyware activities and imposing serious penalties on violators. The statute doesnt stop at outlawing programs that collect personal information, but uses a broader definition of spyware and punishes those who mislead users into believing software is necessary for security. As a result of Attorney General request legislation, the law was updated in 2008 to create additional liability for third-parties that permit the transmission of spyware and to address new types of deceptive behaviors, such as misrepresenting the need for computer repairs.

Tech support scam variations

There are many variations of tech support scams beyond the tactics iYogi employs. Some rely on massive spam campaigns that promise a faster, more secure computer and draw readers to a URL; others use pop-up ads that falsely claim the user's machine is infected with malware. A common tactic involves unsolicited telephone calls where callers pose as computer support technicians. While the tactics vary, the goal is the same: to gain access to your computer and ultimately your money and personal information.

How to avoid the scam

The Attorney Generals Office offers the following tips to avoid tech support scams:

Never give control of your computer to a third party unless you can confirm it is a legitimate representative from a company where youre already a customer;
Ask if there is a fee or subscription associated with the service. If there is, hang up;
Do not provide Social Security numbers, banking, or credit card or other financial information; and
Protect personal computers with legitimate and updated security software.
Victim of a tech support scam? Contact the Attorney Generals Office

If you believe you are a victim of the iYogi scam, or any other tech support scam, file a consumer complaint with the Attorney Generals Office at http://www.atg.wa.gov/file-complaint.

For additional Internet safety tips, advice and information visit the Attorney General's website, here.

-30-

The Office of the Attorney General is the chief legal office for the state of Washington with attorneys and staff in 27 divisions across the state providing legal services to roughly 200 state agencies, boards and commissions. Attorney General Bob Ferguson is working hard to protect consumers and seniors against fraud, keep our communities safe, protect our environment and stand up for our veterans. Visit www.atg.wa.gov to learn more.

Contact:

Peter Lavallee, Communications Director, (360) 586-0725; PeterL@atg.wa.gov

jackieb52
2/27/16

Been on the line for over 5 hours and transferred more than 10 times already not to have issue resolved.

kathleenh32
2/24/16

I purchased software and a 5-year tech support plan from iYogi in 11/15. Now the software has disappeared from my computer and I can't get in touch with anyone from iYogi despite calling 3 different phone numbers and trying to log on to their website as a member (my access code) was rejected as not valid. Has anyone else had this experience. Has anyone been able to contact iYogi by telephone? Would appreciate feedback.
Thanks,
Kathleen H.

kenf35
2/17/16

iYogi were good for a few years, then not-so-good. Now they're a rip-off. They sold me a different security system which wasn't even installed; I had 859 viruses by the time I had a different team look at the computer. Don't give them any money; you'd be better off throwing it out the window.

1 rating was submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

38 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the iYogi staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question