US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

kc150
1/21/17

As with other reviewers, we thought we were booking directly through the hotel. The website clones itself to do this. The operator who made the initial reservation made several errors.
1. Name spelled wrong in one place, correctly in another
2. A wheel-chair accessible room was requested, on the ground floor. The room was on the second floor and the hotel does not have elevators. That would have been a shock when we got there
3. A totally wrong telephone number was entered.

And when we tried, for half an hour, to fix an error, they cancelled the reservation without telling us.

On top of all that, the rate was $100 over the rate when we booked directly through the hotel. They have a very competent front desk manager, Des, who solved all the problems Getaroom caused.

They should be ashamed of their incompetent service. Believe me, we will never again make the mistake of using this booking site.

Tip for consumers: Always be absolutely sure you are booking directly through the hotel and not through Getaroom

jasonw145
1/21/17

DO NOT NOT NOT USE THEM!!! I'm Canadian and paid American dollars to stay in Canadian hotel. Could have booked the room cheaper myself with free parking and free breakfast. Paid for parking and no breakfast and paid 50% more for hotel.
HUGE MISTAKE I'LL NEVER MAKE AGAIN.
PLEASE USE MY ADVICE AND STAY AWAY - IF I SAVE ONE PERSON THE HASSLE I'VE HAD IT WILL BE WORTH IT!!!!

carmenp22
1/17/17

I got the number through MDAnderson information. I thought they were associated with the Cancer Center. They did NOT explain that if my stay was not as anticipated that I could not shorten the duration from 7 days to 5. I was not aware they billed the credit card and would not make adjustments. The phone staff was very accommodating understanding this was a medical need and said I could change the days. Very, very, and very misleading. Talk about find print. Again not trustworthy. People from out of town rely on others to make good choices.

Tip for consumers: Stay away

conradb22
1/12/17

Ripped us off for $200 US funds, we live and were booking in Canada. Their number came up under the name of the hotel we were booking in Ottawa Canada. They charged us USA funds for the booking and did not tell us this, they charged us $50 extra and did not tell us this, they will not refund the money and did not tell us this. Total $#*!ing rip off. I am not done with these coward $#*!s, not by a long shot.

lt60
1/10/17

This is relevant to Australian customers. We live in Aus and booked an Aus hotel via Trip Advisor - seemingly Aus site but we received email confirmation from US company called Getaroom. We were charged in US $ + foreign transaction fees. All links from email confirmation go to US site. All customer service is based in US with international phone no & email takes 24hrs to respond. Customer service not interested in helping. Different person responded each time. Wouldn't honour their best rate guarantee as we are not in US. Would not cancel booking without charging us. Then promised to cancel booking for discounted fee but actually charged full fee. Total disaster. Dodgy company misrepresenting themselves as another company in another country.

megb11
1/10/17

Do not do business with them and report them to you state Attorney General. This so called business is fraudulent and deceptive. The misrepresent themselves as the hotel you are trying to make a reservation with by just answering "reservation". I tried to cancel and was told it was nonrefundable. I have filed a complaint with the Attorney General and am in the process of a complaint with my credit card company. This is a company that practices fraudulent activities.

pissedo61
1/4/17

WAITED AT THE FRONT DESK OF THE HOTEL WHERE THEIR CARD DECLINED. THEY HAD ME ON HOLD AND THE HOLD FOR OVER 45 MIN. TWICE I WAS HUNG UP ON AND THE HOTEL WAS HUNG UP ON. TERRIBLE AND I WILL NEVER BOOK THROUGH THEM AGAIN

stacic2
1/3/17

I only chose 1 star because it is the lowest allowed. This company is terrible and is often operating as a third part behind the scenes. I find them completely inflexible and will always book through the hotel directly in the future.

anb13
1/1/17

Like many others, I thought I was reserving with the hotel! Only when I called later to ask about a senior discount was when I first heard of GETAROOM! Be aware-this is a terrible deception!

williamd128
12/31/16

I travel a lot on business and my personal life. I used getaroon on multiple occasions. They catorgorized me
as a "VIP" guest. However,, i was not treated like one.
They charged me for two nights instead of one, I did catch their error, and secondly the rates went up on me, because the represenative from get a room made a number of errors. They did not review the cancellation policies with me,but they consistency told me that they emailed me
Come to find out that they made a mistake about my email
address. They were very dogmatic in their customer service. I will not use them again, nor will I refer anyone to
them. A very dissatisfied VIP customer

redr10
12/30/16

DO NOT BOOK THROUGH THIS WEBSITE:
I called Courtyard Marriott in Bakersfield for room availability. None there.
A man named Richard said he could get me a room at the Hilton Double Tree.
He then took my credit card info and charged me for over $600.00
I called Hilton Double Tree to confirm this and Paul said "Get a Room" is not affiliated with Hilton Double Tree and I have no rooms reserved there.
I am now told its "non refundable".
Hilton Double Tree does not take full monies at their hotel.
I have cancelled my reservation on your website.
I want my Credit Card refunded immediately.
Falsely telling people you can get them a room is FRAUD.
I will be placing a call to a Supervisor there.
Which I have been on the phone now for over an hour!
This is a joke!!!
Susan Kenwood Rocha

isongl
12/29/16

Get a room is a scam. I booked a room in the Yavapai lodge Grand Canyon through getaroom thinking it's through the National Park Services. Turns out they charged me $230 instead of the maximum rate of $148. When I called it became clear that they will not even lift a finger to compensate for this.

debbied65
12/27/16

I thought I was booking directly with the hotel. Turns out these guys were representing themselves as the hotel. I even asked if I had reached the property directly and they said yes!!

If you have any issues at all during your stay, you're stuck. They will not allow you to cancel for any reason. It is shocking that this company gets away with these practices.

The property had no issue at all with us canceling.

angiea10
12/26/16

We just lost $300 on room reservations because of this company. They represented themselves as Hilton and it wasn't until we tried to make a change that we realized what happened. First of all, they come up on a search for Hilton and then represent themselves as such on the phone. We booked two rooms and 1/2 of our reservation was booked as one company and he other 1/2 as another. They filter through 2-3 companies and tracking them down is almost impossible. We needed to change a date and trying to do that was a nightmare. There is. $150 change fee and because they booked our reservation through 2 companies we were charged the fee twice. The actual Hilton was also no help in resolving this. So we're out $300 and very unhappy. Their "customer service" is a joke and no help whatsoever. Avoid them at all costs.

charlesd112
12/24/16

I thought I was making a reservation direct through Hilton's web site. Saw a $12.99 fee on credit card bill. Hilton said the reservation was through Getaroom.com. I had never heard of them before making the call.
What a scam!

cynthian12
12/15/16

Do Not Use this company.I travel for work and as I thought I was booking directly with the hotel chain ,I booked with these (thieves ).My job completed early and I checked out early and they would not would not refund my money.They took my money the hotel chain itself returned Co workers money but because I was tricked into using this company I had to deal with them.They lied to me for 2 days then sent out a generic email that was of no use.They basically stole the reservation and stole my money.Do Not, Do Not use them.Worst experience ever.Their cancelation deadline is the day after you make your reservation so that is useless and designed to take customers money.

patriciar127
12/8/16

Will never book through this site again!!!!

aj494
12/4/16

This site is a complete sham. Also, this was farmed out to them by TripAdvisor, so if you are going book with TripAdvisor, know that you are likely to end up dealing with these crooks.

thomask78
11/29/16

I had the unfortunate experience of booking a hotel room )Holiday Inn) through this service. I wanted two rooms, and did it on line. When I finished it had only registered me for one room and I cancelled and then called them to complete the reservation by phone. That was successful but they refused to cancel the first room I had booked so I wound up having to pay for three rooms. The Holiday was worthless as far as helping on this matter. I wound up talking to reservationcounter and they said there was nothing they could do and Getaroom couldn't do anything. BUT GET THIS: They would be more than happy to cancel the reservation but still charge me. You can't make it up. Don't have anything to do with Getaroom; reservation counter.com or HOLIDAY INN> They are inept buffoons.

joee35
11/29/16

Thinking I was calling Hampton Inns directly, I somehow reached getaroom.com (GAR). I asked for the manager of the hotel where I have stayed previously and was told "she is not in today." Knowing several of the front desk clerks, I asked, "Who is working the front desk today?" I was told "they are all busy, so we are taking their calls." I then booked 10 nights at the hotel in a city where my sister, who is having a serious health challenge lives. Two days later, I called to book room for another sister for six nights. (we were all going home to see our seriously ill sister.) I was told that I had booked my room with a "third party" so they were not sure I could add the second room to my account. What? I again asked for the manager of the hotel by name because I had struck up a friendship with them on previous stays.) I was asked to "hold for just a moment". The operator came back and told me they could go ahead and make the reservation for the second room. I told the operator that I would pay for three nights of my sister's room and she would pay the rest at the hotel. I then prepaid for each of the rooms and received an email confirmation with the logo and address of the Hampton Inn (city) on it. The URL printed at the top of the my confirmation simply was www.reservationcounter.com. I assumed it was Hampton Inn. I was never told there could not be a cancellation, nor adjustment of the room nights. I was told I was receiving the "best possible price" for the rooms. Upon arrival at my hotel, I discovered that I had booked the room with a "third party" (GAR) and that the rates were actually a little MORE than the usual rates of the hotel. They "third party" was actually GAR -- who had told me they couldn't help me because I had booked the first room "through a third party' (Them!! What???) After all of the emotion and stress of dealing with our family issues, I needed to leave town one day.earlier than planned. The hotel desk said I could not do that because the reservation was through GAR. I called GAR to get a refund on the one night and they told me they could not change the dates because I had PREPAID for the room. I objected, but the man told me "there is nothing I can do about it". So, I paid for a room that was left unoccupied the last night. The GAR operator filed an "Escalation" ticket so that my complaint would be reviewed. It was followed up by an email that explains I must sign-up for the GAR "Customer Care" program where I can make my claim BY EMAIL!!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCAM!!!! THEY LIED TO ME, IMPLYING THEY WERE A PART OF HAMPTON INNS, THEY DID NOT PROVIDE A WARNING THAT I COULD NOT MAKE CHANGES TO THE ITINERARY, NEITHER BY WORD OR IN WRITING ON THE CONFIRMATION EMAIL. This is a definite example of how the innocent, unknowing public can be RIPPED OFF so quickly by by an unscrupulous online hoax! BUYER BEWARE!!!!

danar42
11/26/16

The stay was great. However, we booked it through Priceline's affiliate getaroom.com. We booked ahead because it was Thanksgiving weekend. When we awoke to leave, the hotel left their rate slip under the door per normal. It was over $135 LESS than the third party rate we paid with getaroom. I contacted getaroom to dispute the huge difference in price. They would not give us a full refund of the difference in price. Needless to say, I will NEVER use them again. I should have just booked with the hotel or checked a week ahead of time so I could still cancel to get the much lower rate directly from the hotel.

The hotel was fine and we will definitely stay there again, as we recently moved and it is affordable and near family. But getaroom--no thanks. We paid 38% more than the hotel would have charged--what a rip off!

ronym2
11/19/16

booked a room in Oregon as I was moving from CA on Nov. 1st.
My car was stolen in CA and It was going to be another full day before I got a rental to make the trip north. I called get a room and explained to them my situation and was immediately told "there's nothing we can do for you since the 48 hour cancellation period had passed" (I had booked the reservation October 22. I asked for a supervisor and was told no one was on duty. My feeling is: they could care LESS about people and more about keeping my money. I would NEVER recommend GAR to anyone!! They kept my money without a single care. If I could choose minus 10, it would still be too favorable for their $#*!ty service.

salahn1
11/17/16

Horrible Experience

"warning warning danger danger"
I have booked my hotel for six days 10 month's in advance costs me $900. I accidentally cancelled my reservation so i emailed getaroom about reinstating my reservation for the same period however getaroom advised me that this is non refundable reservation. I understand non refund policy but i don't want my money back just a bit of understanding,support and reinstating my reservation. Getaroom attitude was bad luck and Get lost with 0% sympathy.
Now i have no reservation or money in the bank.
Reservation # R667193200

amys195
11/15/16

Arrived at my hotel, only to be told my PAID IN FULL room was cancelled! I was on the phone with them for more than an hour only to get 4 of my 5 days granted. Had to wait until the 4th night to find out I had a room for our last nights stay!

I received a queen room, when I paid for a king. Contacted getaroom and was told they would reimburse me $100 for what I paid for the king room and all of their garbage, only to be told they'll give me only $50 since I can't prove I paid the hotel extra. WHY would I pay the hotel to upgrade when I paid getaroom for a king suite!

Terrible customer service, terrible company! I can not believe that tripadvisor recommends this horrendous company.

Steer clear! Not worth the aggravation!

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE THEM!

sallym65
11/8/16

I CANCELLED MY RESERVATION OCTOBER 12 AND AS OF NOVEMBER 8, STILL NO REFUND. IT SAYS THEY CAN TAKE UP TO 30 DAYS TO PROCESS A CREDIT.

27 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the GetARoom staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
alices84
Alice S.
on 10/6/16
Answer
dennisb115
Dennis B.
A: Wow. This is one bad company. Made a reservation and then needed to cancel. They gave cancel date all along. I called to cancel on that date and was told that date was only for 1 minute of date they told me. I was supposed to forfeit one night's cost. Luckily I made reservation on AMEX and they'll tell this fraud company to get lost. Moral of the story: make reservations through hotel.
on 10/18/16
on 9/11/16
Answer
dennisb115
Dennis B.
A: The hotel has nothing to do with these scumbags.
on 10/18/16