Review of GetARoom

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

maa129
3/19/17

Terrible experience I did not know I was using but will ensure I never use again overcharged by huge amount

thadeausp
3/18/17

I manage a hotel, and am speaking currently to the authorities. Hope you had fun. It's about to end. Too many times. Spineless schmucks.

nielss21
3/18/17

Cancelled hotel via email to getaroom on start day of 3-day trip (baby got ill, had to go to hospital).
But Getaroom doesn't accept my e-mail as a valid cancellation!

jonathand53
3/17/17

These are my problems with the company:
1. I was looking for a room for my family to stay in and did a quick internet search and the number for this company came up as if it were a direct number to the hotel. This is dishonest.
2. When I called the number, the woman I spoke with (Sabrina) gave me the impression that I was speaking with the actual property, because she called it "our property." They never identified themselves as a third party supplier. While this might not be dishonest it is certainly slimy.
3. She said that the standard rate for the room was $200 and that she could offer a special rate of $99. I found out at the hotel, the walk-up rate for a room is $80.10. Sabrina was dishonest with her description of the prices.
4. She said that the total for the room would be $137.84 which included a service fee. I explicitly asked was was the service fee. And she responded that there was no service fee. The call took place at 7:22pm on 03/17/17. If getaroom wants to check the "recording for quality purposes." This is both dishonest and slimy.
5. When I arrived at the hotel, while checking in I asked the woman at the checkin counter "are you Sabrina who I spoke with a little while ago?" She replied that No, I spoke with someone form Expedia (judging from the virtual card ending in 1217, which the room was charged to).
She said that the walk up rate for the room is $80.10 + 10.21 Tax = $90.31 total.

Basically, getaroom posed as the hotel and overcharged me by $47.53. This company, which is apparently associated with Expedia in some way is terribly dishonest. I simply do not see how they can legally do what they are doing. I will never work with this company or Expedia again, and will broadcast this story as far and wide as I can so others do not get scammed in the same way I did.

ellenm55
3/15/17

Terrible customer service. I got to them through Trip Advisor which is usually a reputable company but not this time. STAY AWAY. Getaroom are horrible, bad customer service.

davidc491
3/11/17

Stay away from this scam! We looked up Holiday Inn for reservations and called the number listed. We were never informed that they were a third party site that sold reservations at hotels at prices higher than advertised on the Holiday Inn site.

amberm92
3/10/17

This is the biggest scam, will be filing complaint with Kayak as well in regards to the redirection to your site. 352 terrible reviews in past month.

myrag1
3/9/17

I called to get a room reservation for my husband who had been traveling 2 1/2 days to see his critically ill father. I was on a hotel website and it defaulted to Get a Room Reservations. I reserved a room, paid for the room. I tex'd my husband the address according to the website. ther were two Best Westerns across from each other. Get a Room just booked the first one they came to- never mentioned there were two. My husband went to the address he had....no reservation. He was exhausted and went ahead and paid for the room. I tried to cancel the other room. They told me I was inside the cancellation period. I had the reservation all of 30 minutes.I will never ever stay at a Best Western and never ever use Get a Room. Beware....also avoid Kingsman Arizona. I have never interacted with such greedy, insensitive, cold hearted people. Yes you got 125 dollars from me today- but never again. I will expend as much energy as I have alerting people that value their cash resources that you are to be avoided. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced and I am 61 years old. It's got to be bad to be the worst of 61 years.

katied43
3/8/17

Getaroom subcontracted with another company and booked a lesser quality room than we booked. The hotel, and after an hour, getaroom, made the reservation "right". Waiting around to verify a reservation and spending nearly 30 minutes on the phone on hold, wasn't the best way to start a vacation. I will not use this company again. We were lucky the hotel had the room available.

ritikas2
3/2/17

This is probably the worst experience I have ever had from a hotel reservation site. We booked a hotel in Cancun, Mexico using a deal we saw from getaroom on Trip Advisor last month. When we reached the hotel after landing at around 1am, we were shocked to know that the hotel had no clue about our booking as getaroom had not sent them any notification/ confirmation. Plus, we could not stay at the hotel, as they had no rooms available by then. We got to know from the hotel that a few more people who had made a booking from this site, faced the same issue a couple of days back. Their customer care was also of no help and we were stranded in the middle of the night as we had no where to go. It's been almost 3 weeks and even after repeatedly contacting their customer care, we have still not received the refund of the money that was already paid. This site should be just shut down immediately.

jeffj64
3/1/17

This may be the WORST experience with booking I have ever had! Went to Kayak to book a room and they sent me here. Immediately after I booked the room, I noticed an error (exactly 2 minutes by their time stamp) and tried to change. I wanted to UPGRADE my room for MORE money. Ended up cancelling my room, charging me full fee on my card, and NOT giving me a room. Called their customer service assuming that since I still wanted the room, all would be good. Customer service rep was about as rude as you can get! NEVER AGAIN! If I could rate less than one star I would.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE GETAROOM!

robw67
3/1/17

I booked through Kayak to Getaroom. Massive scam. They charged my credit card, but then use their own card to book the room at the hotel in question. The problem? Their card gets declined. Leaving me with no booked room in the middle of nowhere.

Never ever ever again.

debw32
2/25/17

Do not use. They do not correctly book rooms and will leave you stranded and don't even think about s refund

donaldw69
2/24/17

False advertising.. booked a room and didn't get the room I booked. Cost me thousands of dollars and ruined 5 people's vacation plans. Never ever ever again

davidh472
2/24/17

Getaroom cheated me out of $1,800. Stay away from them. I told them immediately not to charge my credit card and they did it anyway. They were supposedly going to investigate but they never got back to me. Unethical!!!

ra13571
2/22/17

heres what I wrote them: NO response to phone calls or emails
I booked 3 rooms at Best Western Victorian Inn
In September 2016. Unfortunately We are not able to go on our vacation - so on February 1/17 I requested a refund by phone and the code I received was C720128864 and a refund would come through I DID not receive an email confirmation as I was told this code was enough. No refund as of Feb 17 in which I spoke to another service representative and they assured me the refund would go through. I don't know what your company is doing but I would like answer as to why you will not give me back my refund. Please reply as soon as possible Rita

benl77
2/10/17

I called to make a reservation at the Hotel Captain Cook. I thought that I had called the hotel itself but it turns out that it was Get a Room. They incorrectly purported to be the Hotel. I am entitled to a government rate and they purported to give it to me. But when I checked with the people at my government agency they informed me that the rate I was being charged was twice the government rate. I called Get a Room and they refused to do anything about it.

marcios
2/10/17

mistake happens to ANYBODY... well. I booked...then realized it was made to a wrong date. I tried to just CHANGE it, NOT cancel. GETAROOM don't change dates! So you pay 170US$ fee for cancellation. well... it sound stupid, but that was a very simple mistake that turned into 170 US$ in the trash. oooppsss double mistake btw,..the first mistake was to use GETAROOM. note: sometime they don't put their name as getaroom, they actually used the hotel name, very sophisticated like real hotel website.

shawns52
2/10/17

They lied and said the hotel we wanted was full. They recommended another hotel in the area and said it had an indoor pool, which it didn't. They booked us the most expensive room at their recommended hotel. When we got off the road, We called the original hotel and found they had plenty of rooms. When we called them to disputed the charges. They " opened up a ticket" and were going to call us right back. Still waiting for a call.....

carlosh36
2/9/17

My story is identical. They told me that they were Wyndham reservation, charged me 50% above the room rate and never send me a receipt. I complained to Wyndham and to Microtel-by-Wyndham and all I got were form letters from the following individuals.

Dawn D.

WHG Customer Care 3
customer.care3@wyn.com

marien17
2/9/17

I called a number I thought was the direct number to the hotel because I was trying to compare prices and get the best deal. They misrepresented themselves as being the reservation switchboard of the hotel. They quoted me an amount that was $25 more than what was listed on line and proceeded to tell me that no worries when you get to the hotel they will charge you up to what we just quoted you. Hotels do that very often. When I hung up something did not sit well with me I looked for a direct number to the hotel and it turned out that the cost of the room including tax etc was to be $25 less. I called GetaRoom back and after giving some convoluted explanation about why they overcharged me, they concluded they are not refunding my reservation because "no one held a gun to my head" and forced me to make a reservation through them....Terrible people, please BEWARE.

maynarda6
2/9/17

Like so many others, I thought I was booking directly with the hotel. They booked my room, got my credit card number, and then said there would be an additional $47 service charge for booking. I said this was unacceptable, they said "sorry it's non refundable" and hung up! I called back twice, and they said they would issue a refund. They did not. I called my credit card company, and they said they contacted the merchant who admitted that a full refund would be coming in 30 days. Yet another lie. Finally filed a dispute with my credit card company who issued me a refund and is in the hassle with them, but Capital One has deep pockets and better lawyers so I hope they get what's coming to them. What a scam!

jamesk195
2/5/17

They are available and happy to communicate when you're booking and paying, but if you have an emergency even medical they are Not helpful and blame it on the hotel which the hotel said was no true. Book with somebody else and avoid these folks.

murrayc26
2/4/17

We booked a holiday in Hawaii using getaroom.com from Australia for January 2018 for a 1 week stay plenty of time I thought. I booked the room we want, no problem, but I did put the wrong week in ( definitely my mistake). Knew about the cancellation policy and totally accept that as well, BUT it said nothing about changing the dates to the correct date even though it was only days apart from booking and still a year away from travelling. I rang the hotel involved directly and they were great but unable to help as they have not received the money from getaroom.com. Getaroom.coms solution to the problem was give them another few thousand dollars and they would see what they could do. NOT BLOODY LIKELY. JUST BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU DO USE THEM.

karend146
2/2/17

Don't do it go through someplace else! Get a Room sent my reservation to someone else with the same name. That other party called the police on me twice. Contacted GAR let them know of their mistake. Told them to contact the other party. They claimed they did. The other party called the police on me the second time through the hotel I paid for. Apparently GAR never got through to the other party. I challenged the hotel they threaten to evict me! The really terrible part was I was traveling with my 88 year old handicapped mother. I contacted GAR that evening after the police left. They still didn't contact the other party even after that. Needless to say I left the hotel and took my Mom to another hotel. It took 4 months for GAR to contact the other party. I did receive some compensation but this experience still haunts me. GAR managed to cut off communication 4 times while I was trying to get this resolved. It was a breach of privacy as GAR gave my address out to a complete stranger. This stranger then ruin my trip from halfway across the country. One call to GAR one reservation and I got the police called on me twice and had the hotel I paid for threaten eviction

30 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the GetARoom staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Answer
ra13571
R A.
A: they will not refund you I booked 3 rooms at Best Western Victorian Inn
In September 2016. Unfortunately We are not able to go on our vacation - so on February 1/17 I requested a refund by phone and the code I received was C720128864 and a refund would come through I DID not receive an email confirmation as I was told this code was enough. No refund as of Feb 17 in which I spoke to another service representative and they assured me the refund would go through. I don't know what your company is doing but I would like answer as to why you will not give me back my refund. Please reply as soon as possible they don't let you submit a question either
1 month, 3 days ago