US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

debw32
2/25/17

Do not use. They do not correctly book rooms and will leave you stranded and don't even think about s refund

donaldw69
2/24/17

False advertising.. booked a room and didn't get the room I booked. Cost me thousands of dollars and ruined 5 people's vacation plans. Never ever ever again

davidh472
2/24/17

Getaroom cheated me out of $1,800. Stay away from them. I told them immediately not to charge my credit card and they did it anyway. They were supposedly going to investigate but they never got back to me. Unethical!!!

ra13571
2/22/17

heres what I wrote them: NO response to phone calls or emails
I booked 3 rooms at Best Western Victorian Inn
In September 2016. Unfortunately We are not able to go on our vacation - so on February 1/17 I requested a refund by phone and the code I received was C720128864 and a refund would come through I DID not receive an email confirmation as I was told this code was enough. No refund as of Feb 17 in which I spoke to another service representative and they assured me the refund would go through. I don't know what your company is doing but I would like answer as to why you will not give me back my refund. Please reply as soon as possible Rita

benl77
2/10/17

I called to make a reservation at the Hotel Captain Cook. I thought that I had called the hotel itself but it turns out that it was Get a Room. They incorrectly purported to be the Hotel. I am entitled to a government rate and they purported to give it to me. But when I checked with the people at my government agency they informed me that the rate I was being charged was twice the government rate. I called Get a Room and they refused to do anything about it.

marcios
2/10/17

mistake happens to ANYBODY... well. I booked...then realized it was made to a wrong date. I tried to just CHANGE it, NOT cancel. GETAROOM don't change dates! So you pay 170US$ fee for cancellation. well... it sound stupid, but that was a very simple mistake that turned into 170 US$ in the trash. oooppsss double mistake btw,..the first mistake was to use GETAROOM. note: sometime they don't put their name as getaroom, they actually used the hotel name, very sophisticated like real hotel website.

shawns52
2/10/17

They lied and said the hotel we wanted was full. They recommended another hotel in the area and said it had an indoor pool, which it didn't. They booked us the most expensive room at their recommended hotel. When we got off the road, We called the original hotel and found they had plenty of rooms. When we called them to disputed the charges. They " opened up a ticket" and were going to call us right back. Still waiting for a call.....

carlosh36
2/9/17

My story is identical. They told me that they were Wyndham reservation, charged me 50% above the room rate and never send me a receipt. I complained to Wyndham and to Microtel-by-Wyndham and all I got were form letters from the following individuals.

Dawn D.

WHG Customer Care 3
customer.care3@wyn.com

marien17
2/9/17

I called a number I thought was the direct number to the hotel because I was trying to compare prices and get the best deal. They misrepresented themselves as being the reservation switchboard of the hotel. They quoted me an amount that was $25 more than what was listed on line and proceeded to tell me that no worries when you get to the hotel they will charge you up to what we just quoted you. Hotels do that very often. When I hung up something did not sit well with me I looked for a direct number to the hotel and it turned out that the cost of the room including tax etc was to be $25 less. I called GetaRoom back and after giving some convoluted explanation about why they overcharged me, they concluded they are not refunding my reservation because "no one held a gun to my head" and forced me to make a reservation through them....Terrible people, please BEWARE.

maynarda6
2/9/17

Like so many others, I thought I was booking directly with the hotel. They booked my room, got my credit card number, and then said there would be an additional $47 service charge for booking. I said this was unacceptable, they said "sorry it's non refundable" and hung up! I called back twice, and they said they would issue a refund. They did not. I called my credit card company, and they said they contacted the merchant who admitted that a full refund would be coming in 30 days. Yet another lie. Finally filed a dispute with my credit card company who issued me a refund and is in the hassle with them, but Capital One has deep pockets and better lawyers so I hope they get what's coming to them. What a scam!

jamesk195
2/5/17

They are available and happy to communicate when you're booking and paying, but if you have an emergency even medical they are Not helpful and blame it on the hotel which the hotel said was no true. Book with somebody else and avoid these folks.

murrayc26
2/4/17

We booked a holiday in Hawaii using getaroom.com from Australia for January 2018 for a 1 week stay plenty of time I thought. I booked the room we want, no problem, but I did put the wrong week in ( definitely my mistake). Knew about the cancellation policy and totally accept that as well, BUT it said nothing about changing the dates to the correct date even though it was only days apart from booking and still a year away from travelling. I rang the hotel involved directly and they were great but unable to help as they have not received the money from getaroom.com. Getaroom.coms solution to the problem was give them another few thousand dollars and they would see what they could do. NOT BLOODY LIKELY. JUST BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU DO USE THEM.

karend146
2/2/17

Don't do it go through someplace else! Get a Room sent my reservation to someone else with the same name. That other party called the police on me twice. Contacted GAR let them know of their mistake. Told them to contact the other party. They claimed they did. The other party called the police on me the second time through the hotel I paid for. Apparently GAR never got through to the other party. I challenged the hotel they threaten to evict me! The really terrible part was I was traveling with my 88 year old handicapped mother. I contacted GAR that evening after the police left. They still didn't contact the other party even after that. Needless to say I left the hotel and took my Mom to another hotel. It took 4 months for GAR to contact the other party. I did receive some compensation but this experience still haunts me. GAR managed to cut off communication 4 times while I was trying to get this resolved. It was a breach of privacy as GAR gave my address out to a complete stranger. This stranger then ruin my trip from halfway across the country. One call to GAR one reservation and I got the police called on me twice and had the hotel I paid for threaten eviction

and7108
1/31/17

Booked a room with this business thinking it was direct to the property; learned the hard way it wasn't. Called to reschedule due to a medical emergency, no help after 2 hours and multiple phone calls. Stay away!

kathleenb63
1/29/17

Watch out for them! I was stranded in Galveston when the port closed and our cruise ship could not sail. Using my phone I tried to find a place to stay with shuttle. I thought I was calling the hotel to find the price - it looks like they copied the hotel's site - but instead I got Get A Room (which did not disclose who they were). The person was quite helpful and booked a hotel in just a few minutes. She quoted the hotel price at $96, said with taxes and fees it would be $111, and asked for my approval to charge that which I gave with my credit card info. When I got to the hotel they said the cost of the room plus tax was $79. I thought $32 was a bit stiff for a few minutes work. I checked my email receipt and found they charged $131, which of course I did NOT approve and made their fee an outrageous $52! I complained and they refunded $25. But the point is to charge more than what I verbally approved is fraud!

alv1265
1/26/17

I live in Canada and called them from Canada to reserve a Canadian hotel room. However, they charged me in US dollars, without telling me that is what they would do. This is approximately a 35% premium. When I complained they offered a 10% reduction. Refused to cancel reservation or make the appropriate reduction. Their site is cloned to look like it's the hotel site.

kc150
1/21/17

As with other reviewers, we thought we were booking directly through the hotel. The website clones itself to do this. The operator who made the initial reservation made several errors.
1. Name spelled wrong in one place, correctly in another
2. A wheel-chair accessible room was requested, on the ground floor. The room was on the second floor and the hotel does not have elevators. That would have been a shock when we got there
3. A totally wrong telephone number was entered.

And when we tried, for half an hour, to fix an error, they cancelled the reservation without telling us.

On top of all that, the rate was $100 over the rate when we booked directly through the hotel. They have a very competent front desk manager, Des, who solved all the problems Getaroom caused.

They should be ashamed of their incompetent service. Believe me, we will never again make the mistake of using this booking site.

Tip for consumers: Always be absolutely sure you are booking directly through the hotel and not through Getaroom

jasonw145
1/21/17

DO NOT NOT NOT USE THEM!!! I'm Canadian and paid American dollars to stay in Canadian hotel. Could have booked the room cheaper myself with free parking and free breakfast. Paid for parking and no breakfast and paid 50% more for hotel.
HUGE MISTAKE I'LL NEVER MAKE AGAIN.
PLEASE USE MY ADVICE AND STAY AWAY - IF I SAVE ONE PERSON THE HASSLE I'VE HAD IT WILL BE WORTH IT!!!!

carmenp22
1/17/17

I got the number through MDAnderson information. I thought they were associated with the Cancer Center. They did NOT explain that if my stay was not as anticipated that I could not shorten the duration from 7 days to 5. I was not aware they billed the credit card and would not make adjustments. The phone staff was very accommodating understanding this was a medical need and said I could change the days. Very, very, and very misleading. Talk about find print. Again not trustworthy. People from out of town rely on others to make good choices.

Tip for consumers: Stay away

conradb22
1/12/17

Ripped us off for $200 US funds, we live and were booking in Canada. Their number came up under the name of the hotel we were booking in Ottawa Canada. They charged us USA funds for the booking and did not tell us this, they charged us $50 extra and did not tell us this, they will not refund the money and did not tell us this. Total $#*!ing rip off. I am not done with these coward $#*!s, not by a long shot.

lt60
1/10/17

This is relevant to Australian customers. We live in Aus and booked an Aus hotel via Trip Advisor - seemingly Aus site but we received email confirmation from US company called Getaroom. We were charged in US $ + foreign transaction fees. All links from email confirmation go to US site. All customer service is based in US with international phone no & email takes 24hrs to respond. Customer service not interested in helping. Different person responded each time. Wouldn't honour their best rate guarantee as we are not in US. Would not cancel booking without charging us. Then promised to cancel booking for discounted fee but actually charged full fee. Total disaster. Dodgy company misrepresenting themselves as another company in another country.

megb11
1/10/17

Do not do business with them and report them to you state Attorney General. This so called business is fraudulent and deceptive. The misrepresent themselves as the hotel you are trying to make a reservation with by just answering "reservation". I tried to cancel and was told it was nonrefundable. I have filed a complaint with the Attorney General and am in the process of a complaint with my credit card company. This is a company that practices fraudulent activities.

pissedo61
1/4/17

WAITED AT THE FRONT DESK OF THE HOTEL WHERE THEIR CARD DECLINED. THEY HAD ME ON HOLD AND THE HOLD FOR OVER 45 MIN. TWICE I WAS HUNG UP ON AND THE HOTEL WAS HUNG UP ON. TERRIBLE AND I WILL NEVER BOOK THROUGH THEM AGAIN

stacic2
1/3/17

I only chose 1 star because it is the lowest allowed. This company is terrible and is often operating as a third part behind the scenes. I find them completely inflexible and will always book through the hotel directly in the future.

anb13
1/1/17

Like many others, I thought I was reserving with the hotel! Only when I called later to ask about a senior discount was when I first heard of GETAROOM! Be aware-this is a terrible deception!

30 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the GetARoom staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Answer
ra13571
R A.
A: they will not refund you I booked 3 rooms at Best Western Victorian Inn
In September 2016. Unfortunately We are not able to go on our vacation - so on February 1/17 I requested a refund by phone and the code I received was C720128864 and a refund would come through I DID not receive an email confirmation as I was told this code was enough. No refund as of Feb 17 in which I spoke to another service representative and they assured me the refund would go through. I don't know what your company is doing but I would like answer as to why you will not give me back my refund. Please reply as soon as possible they don't let you submit a question either
3 days, 7 hours ago