Review of BikesDirect

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

st17288
5/24/17

I purchased a Motobecane Super Strada for $999, and also two other bikes in the past. Never any issues til now. I received the Super Strada with a carbon fork. The fork had a carbon weave that looked horrible on one side as if the weave had been pushed around before or during the final clear coat process. I contacted customer service but no help there. First response is it is normal to have "slightly wavy weave." This is well beyond "slightly wavy," not uniform at all. I said again I wasn't happy and I expect better quality on a 1000 dollar bike.

The second response:
"If you would like to swap the fork for one from another bike (same model) I will for you but you will be responsible for the shipping both ways. Please send me your fork with a pre paid return shipping label and I will swap it out for you."

So I have to pay for shipping both ways and bikesdirect is gonna put the crappy fork on another bike and sell it to another customer. That shows how they operate and it is not acceptable.

Out of 283 reviews on this site 29 reviews are 1 star. More than 10% are not satisfied with their purchase.

If you are considering bikesdirect, think about the customer service. If you have issues, they don't care even if you are a repeat customer.

steveh223
5/20/17

I ordered a Motobecane Fantom 29er, received in the timeframe given, was EXACTLY as described in the listing and is PERFECT!! I wasn't expecting a high-end mountain bike although Bikes Direct does have them, I was just wanting a decent, fairly equipped, fair priced bike to do a little off-roading and this certainly fits the bill. Bike was easy to assemble & required very little adjustment. I did have a small issue with the rear derailleur that I'm sure was bent during shipping (not Bikes Direct fault) but was easily straightened & everything works perfect. I've read numerous articles on the internet against buying a bike online BUT, if you know what you want, know what you NEED, then I'm certain Bikes Direct is where you need to buy your next bike. My overall experience was FANTASTIC & I highly recommend Bikes Direct!! Thank you to all at Bikes Direct!

brendonk2
5/18/17

I ordered my Motobecane single speed and the bike arrived as scheduled and in perfect condition. Upon riding it, there was a knocking noise that sounded like it was coming from the bottom bracket or freewheel. I emailed BD and Larry was super responsive and immediately sent a new Shimano freewheel (probably a lot better one than was originally on there) and that took care of the issue.

davidb679
5/16/17
• Updated review

Bike shipped Monday,arrived Thursday. Got to admit it seems like a lot of bike for the price. Good product,bad service? I guess you have to give up something. Will update again after i have ridden for a few weeks.

“2 weeks,no bike,no contact!”
5/16/17
• Previous review

Ordered Elite Trail Blue23. Paypal paid April 27th. May 9th call to find out why no bike, no email,no word at all? Very friendly woman looked into it. order placed on hold, they can't tell me why. Best they can do is ship it out today. If your going to place a hold on a order after you accept payment how about sending a email or some contact informing the customer? At least then i could have taken care of it. Still waiting on bike,will update review when on road.

mikej198
5/12/17

We've bought 3 bikes from BikesDirect so far. My brother, an avid MTBer, and a roadie friend both recommended BikesDirect. I knew going into it that the bikes would need partial assembly and tuning and decided I'd take on the tuning myself.

All 3 bikes (purchased over a 6 month period) are great quality, arrived in great condition. Larry in service was so helpful along the way and a major reason for repeat business. The last bike had a break pad that had come off during shipment and even that was resolved quickly.

If you're buying a bike from BikesDirect, know that you either have to do the work or take it into a local bike shop to be tuned. If you go into it knowing this, I think BikesDirect is an awesome place to get a good quality bike at a very reasonable price.

danb190
5/11/17

I recently bought a full suspension mountain bike from Bikesdirect.com. The bicycle I ordered arrived in excellent condition and very promptly. Any inquiries I had were immediately addressed and answered to my satisfaction. I was assisted by Larry via email from the company with any questions and he was prompt, courteous, and accurate with all of his answers and cleared up any misconceptions I may have had.I will have no problems ordering from this company again in the future. I feel fully supported by them. Thanks to everyone at Bikesdirect.com for a wonderful painless purchase and a beautiful bicycle.

annas211
5/3/17

Larry from Bikes Direct has been extremely helpful!

We would like to especially thank Larry for including the useful tool for my brakes replacement (didn't expect it and it was a pleasant surprise).

Super quick responses and shipping of the parts. Customer service at its best!

Suggesting Bikes Direct to anyone we know who is looking for a bicycle! :)

hugarh
4/28/17

I purchased a bike from bike direct, and the one that I ordered was not in Stock, and bike direct sent me another bike at a higher price than the one I wanted. At no cost to me what so ever. And the whole process took 8 days. Wow fast and great service.

johnl453
4/18/17

BD obviously has the best prices for high quality bikes. But you always worry about the service end. I got a great bike but the brakes were not working when I got it. I thought: "Uh-oh this where getting a good deal backfires". I was SO wrong. Larry at BD was incredibly kind, addressed my problem immediately and did it all very fast. Emails were always responded to within a day. He immediately took over, had me send back the brakes, contacted SRAM, got me a new set of brakes that were a better model, and sent them to my house. I installed them and have a kick-ass bike that would have cost double in a local shop. In addition to the best prices anywhere, BD has service to rival any local shop. You cannot go wrong!

thomasj81
4/15/17

I have now purchased 3 bikes (Le Champion CF, Night Train Ltd, Omni Strada Comp) and 2 wheel sets from Bikes Direct. The quality of their products is excellent, the value outstanding! I had a few issues with a recent order and contacted their service center via email; Larry responded very promptly and immediately set to resolve my issues. I was super impressed his courtesy and with the promptness, thoroughness, and speed in which he resolved my issues. 5 stars and 2 thumbs up for Bikes Direct, Larry, and the quality and ride off my 3 Motobecane bikes!

charless181
4/12/17

I bought a Gravity FSX 2.0 last month and my transaction was as smooth as it could be. Shipping was only 3 days and the bike was beautiful. Overall extremely satisfied.

jonathons21
4/7/17

I purchased gravity 29er 3 years ago and it has been a good bike, I have upgraded nearly everything. I broke rear derailluer last weekend, bikes direct does not have replacement derailleur in stock and states that it could be three months before they restock (if ever). My bike is now useless. bikes direct (never answers the phone) responed in an email stating i should try local bike shop. I tried local and nobody can get this deraillur hanger.
I tried purchasing a new bike as it was time to upgrade and I didn't have a bike to ride. I find the perfect bike 27.5 moto full suspension in my size and receive a paypal error message trying to check out stating I need to contact bikes direct. (again no answer) emailed and got a response, sorry your size sold out after hours.
I have been back and forth with chris and larry in emails but they would not help me with derailleur or bike purchase. I was told cost margins are tight and they cant sell me a similar bike at the same price as sold out bike I tried to purchase. My options were pick another bike or go to your local bike store. Costumer service was absolutely no help.

jamess529
4/7/17

I have purchased three bikes from Bikesdirect

No problem seamless transactions each time and of course super low prices

But after years of use I have needed some parts due to wear and tear

BD helped me esch time via simple email requested
Twice for a low price
And once for free

They are so helpful and nice
These guys love bikes

fordp5
4/1/17

The front rotor arrived warped and rather than send me a new one, they sent me a link on how to fix it. The derailleur and frame do not line up properly. The directions are outdated and refer to center pull brakes when the bikes have disk brakes. I am guessing they save on components by purchasing seconds that failed QA checks.

Note how most of the positive reviews sound like ads.

timc108
3/25/17

I ordered a Gravity Bullseye 27.5+ fat bike on Monday late afternoon. It shipped late on Tuesday and arrived yesterday (Friday). It was packed very mindfully and despite the box getting what looked like a bit of a rough ride from Fedex (ground shipping...the free option), the bike arrived without a scratch. It arrives mostly assembled. The only tools you need for finishing the assembly is a hex/allen wrench (sorry, don't remember size) for the handlebars/stem and front brake caliper (needed tightened), and a 15mm wrench to install the pedals. Everything works perfectly, shifting is smooth and swift for both front and rear, disk brakes work quite well, and the bike is gorgeous in Flash Green!

gregoryl26
3/20/17

I paid the £10 "next day" delivery charge on the Thursday night. I assumed that delivery would be Friday. Ok,Saturday then? Sunday? I'm waiting on Monday now. No bike still. I had to "promp" an e-mail confirmation of the order by phone on the Friday morning and was told,"the bike was "dispatched". What that means is it leaves today.
Never again! I needed the bike for multiple jobs around town. I bought one at the cycle surgery on my way through. When this bike arrives I shall send it to a bike charity. I never want anything to do with this lot ever again!

travisv8
3/8/17

The bike is well made and a great value. Happy with my purchase and would buy again. Also the seat broke on the bike after a few rides. I called up customer support and they had an upgraded seat mailed to me within a few hours. Great work and appreciate the help!

monjstuc
2/20/17

The quality of the product is the best.Service is very good.Delivery system is good.I really like this site.

rayb75
2/19/17

This is the first time I have ever posted a rating on anything I have purchased, period.

I picked up a 22 inch Lurch FS from BikesDirect.com, and I love it.

The brand was Motobecane, from what I can tell, it's a brand that they purchased and are selling consumer direct.

I can't say enough good things.....

A bit about myself. I am a bike industry veteran. In the late 90s, I spent 4 years running engineering for a big bike company in WI that starts with a T, since then I have always hated paying retail.

I am 54 YO, a 250 pound Clydesdale, and starting to slow down a bit.

I broke a helmet going over the bars on my XC full suspension bike last year, live in the PNW with great trail access, but getting too old to crash.

I love this fat bike! It allows me to ride both flat and technical trails and get a great workout. I can't run much anymore, hurts my feet, but this bike gets me on the trail with the dogs and get a great work out.

When I ride flat trails, I run 20 psi and roll about 2x running speed.

When I roll my old MTB trails, I run a bit less pressure, floats uphill nice, and downhill technical stuff get sucked up by those big 4.9 inch tires.

Honestly, I tried local bike shops, and bikes with 1/2 the spec were 2x the cost. At just over $1000, it was a risk I was willing to take.

It literally took me less than 5 minutes to go from box to trail, both front and rear derailleurs were tuned, tires even had pressure in them.

I have about 150 miles on the bike and absolutely love it.

The frame was welded and bike assembled in Taiwan, which was unexpected for the price; I expected China.

The fit and finish are great; very happy camper.

The 22 inch frame fits me great, initially I wanted the Minnesota 3.0, but they were sold out. I considered this a 2nd choice, but have absolutely no regrets.

I went chrome moly rather than aluminum because my first two MTBs in the mid80s were steel and I miss them....so much fun.

Nothing but good things to say. I would love to support my LBS, but not when it costs me 2x what this did.

michaelg293
1/30/17

BD gets a bad rep from others. But they are always quick to fix errors, and leave a great level of satisfaction.

I come from a road cyclng background- and a few years ago wanted to try MTB. But I could not justify spending $3k+ on a new bike from the big brands. BD helped give me a solid bike at a great price point that I used as stepping stone into the mtb world.

Now, my gf is interested in trail riding so I did the same for her. I always recommend BD to others!

hidaners
1/17/17

We just bought two road bikes with fixed gear for our daily commute. The bikes are really nice and light and also as described on their website but, one of the bikes had a defect on its fork and the other one an issue on the left crank arm. Both issues were addressed by the service department and we got those issues fixed almost immediately. I couldn't be happier with their response and service provided to us. I would buy again and recommend to my friends. It is the third bike we get from BikesDirect.

billb194
12/30/16

I bought a Gravity Base camp 1.0 for my girlfriends son after searching all the major brands. I was not paying 500 to 600 bucks for an 11 year old to grow out of in a year. For $299 it has comparable components and I have to say a better frame than the 2017 Specialized Hardrock I just bought for my girlfriend. After seeing the made in china sticker on her frame I was aggravated for not going with bikes direct for her and myself also. I bought a 2016 Specialized Cambor 29er, But after seeing the frame being made in Taiwan and the lesser components by far than the Motobecane HAL 6, well I may sell the Specialized to my brother and get the HAL 6. Also the bike showed up like 2 or 3 days after ordering it.

benp75
12/27/16

I had a couple of issues with my order, but the folks at Bikes Direct were absolutely attentive to my issues and made it very easy to return the merchandise for a replacement. I'd absolutely recommend using Bikes Direct for future purchases.

georgog
12/7/16

I had bought a couple bikes online from other guys, but liked the service and special that BD gave me most.
Got a new bike over black friday weekend and am loving it!

robbiem29
11/24/16

I almost never write reviews but had such great experience with Bikesdirect
I shopped for a carbon road bike with Shimano locally and everyone online. Not even Amazon could beat the price. Plus I got free shipping. Had a minor issue and Larry took care of me without delay. Highly recommended!

57 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the BikesDirect staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
richardd78
Richard D.
on 6/26/15
Answer
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other customers.

29 Photos for BikesDirect