Review of BikesDirect

bd4salesteam@aol.com
2017 Customer choice award

johnr529
9/13/17

I couldn't be happier! My whole experience with BikesDirect was 100% positive! The bike is amazing, the price was amazing, the customer service was amazing. I'm really enjoying this bike it's all that they claimed and more! And light and responsive!
John R. Port Washington

loryt
9/11/17

Have no idea how would I make myself do any workout but for the bysicle I bought here. This is an amazing thing everyone should have when its warm outside. This fall though I'm ready to go on riding it and keep my healthy way of life.

GUYS! Now there are so big discounts! Don't miss them. This store is a convenient place to order at!

christinas127
8/25/17

I ordered a Ladies Windsor Kensington 8 Speed and I absolutely love it! My entire experience with Bikes Direct (BD) was nothing short of spectacular. My shipment came in 2 separate packages and arrived in 4 business days (shipped from TX to NY)! Amazing! With all of my excitement I worried about parts not arriving and immediately after receiving only one package (not knowing if I was supposed to receive both on the same day - I worried...it's natural..lol) I contacted BD with my concerns and within 4 minutes LARRY! A response! I was like "whoa"! Awesome! This gentleman has just made my entire day.... and he wasn't a robot... Larry was very helpful and made sure I was in receipt of everything my order contained. Very patient and kind, and made my experience shopping with BD that much better! Customer service is everything! A big shout out to LARRY! You're terrific and should definitely be recognized for your services! I've already recommended BD to a few friends in the market for a bike and if they are ever in need of customer support, I hope they get LARRY!

All in all, putting the bicycle together was fairly simple, as I have some moderate experience. Within 3 hours I had my beautiful Windsor ready to ride. I took her for a spin and the ride was absolutely comfortable, smooth, sturdy and secure! As far as I'm concerned, I could not find anything wrong with it; no major scratches, just a pin scratch which is very minor and cannot be seen unless you're crazy and looking for that exact scratch in that exact spot... It's perfect and as described. I received all the goodies listed in the description and please with the quality of the bicycle, and the services rendered by the team of Bikes Direct, and special thanks to Larry for wonderful customer support!

Taking my new bike out for a spin tomorrow in Prospect Park, NY and picnic with my friends and my new ride by my side. Very happy! A million thanks!

rajc7
8/18/17

Ordered a Motobecane 529HT Yellow color. Got the bike when it came back in stock. Assembled the bike as needed everything went as normal as usual until I got to the hanger bracket. my hanger bracket was bent and unuseable. I contacted Bikesdirect and got a prompt response and they mailed me another one right away. Larry was tech/customer service guy and he was prompt and very helpful. THe first one hanger he sent out was mis-delivered (the whole neighborhood has been having issues with our mail carrier mis-delivering mail and packages) which I reached out to my neighbors to see if they received it accidentally which they did not. reached back out to Larry and he sent me another one even though they charged me for the second one (which I understood why) I got the second one promptly (and it wasn't mis-delviered...whew!!!). Hanger fit on perfectly and finished assembling the bike. Thanks Larry and Bikesdirect!!!

brianc193
8/11/17

I bought a road bike it was smashed up I emailed them 20 times never got a response it cost me 200 more for parts and 38 for labor and there no way to contacked these people its bull $hit that they will not anwer so it ended up costing me 485.00 all to gather the front brake was craked ,the wheel was so out of true the bike shops I went to would no work on it , the the crank was bent and the rear derailleur hanger was bent no replies

shawnb63
8/4/17

I ordered a Wellington 2.0 bike as advertised which was delivered in the communicated amount of time. Upon assembly, I noticed that the derailleur hangar was bent. I took pictures, e-mailed the service department at Bikes Direct, and within a short period of time, Larry sent me a new hangar to fix the problem. From this first experience in buying from Bikes Direct, this type of service and responsiveness makes Bikes Direct a great company. I will definitely purchase from BD again in the future when I need another bike and will definitely recommend this company to others. Thanks Larry and the BD team!

ch26689
8/3/17

I own two Motobecane bikes. I got a stress crack on my Ti Fly frame and it took 6 months to fulfill the warranty for my frame. Would u go 6 months without your frame? Very upsetting.

markf165
8/2/17

Great experience so far. I bought the Fantom Cross Ti bike with Ultegra components and Avid brakes and Ritchey bars, stem, post and seat. So, even though some will poo-poo the Taiwanese Ti frame (Even though it seems many Ti frames come from there) I don't think there is anything close to this deal for a NEW bike.
Mine did come with a scuffed fork which Larry at customer service took care of...with only slight arm twisting:) New fork on its way! I'm a bike mechanic so since I have yet to have a bike with newer generation components I will probably tear everything apart and put it together...just for fun.

robertm533
8/2/17

Only the thing that surpasses the quality and value of their selection, are the equally if not more impressive, are the employees....specifically, in my case, LARRY !
Had a disappointing incident that he handled in a more than satisfactory manor.
Love this place, will continue to spend my money here, and recommend you do the same ! ask for LARRY !

andrewh184
8/1/17

I bought a 2017 Night Train fat bike from BikesDirect because the price couldn't be beat by any local bike shop while comparing similarly spec'd bikes. The process was straight-forward once I figured out how to proceed through the "check-out" to verify my bike was in-stock. The bike shipped and arrived at the house within 1 week via FedEx without damage. Assembly was easy and consisted of mounting the handlebars, front brake rotor, and my own pedals. I believe assembly could be done in 15-20 minutes if I had to do it again, but I had never assembled my own bike and wanted to be sure I did it correctly so it took me about an hour. The bike shifted crisply and braked great with no rubbing, right out of the box. The wheels were dead-straight true. I have since set them up tubeless with special stems and fluid I bought separately; I highly recommend this as it now allows me to ride off-road without fear of flats from the countless goat-heads that grow here.
Customer service was great. For some reason my bike was sent with a 65mm stem instead of the stated 110mm, which made the bike fit slightly smaller than I liked. My email to BikesDirect was answered the next day by Larry, who promptly sent out a brand-new stem for me to try. The bike fits great now and I couldn't be happier; the bike is a blast to ride and I love the 4.8" tires for their grip, cushion, and stability.
I was initially skeptical about buying a bicycle online, but from this experience I will likely be buying from BikesDirect again in the future.

Tip for consumers: Be sure the product you want is in stock by selecting it in the drop-down menu AND proceeding through the first check-out steps prior to paying. Even though the item shows up in the drop-down menu, it may not actually be available, and this will not be readily apparent until you add it to the cart and proceed to checkout.

darrink2
7/28/17

So far I am not super impressed. You spend $1500 dollars with someone, you kind of expect a rapid response. It has been a couple of days and I have tried to call (no. way to get through or even a message machine) I will alter this review if they get back to me soon (perhaps they are overrun with bike sales today). If not I will simply call the cc company and work it out with them.

steveh239
7/25/17

My Boris X5 arrived promptly. Great deal. Everything was AOK; only minor problem was a front rotor that was slightly "dished." Sent email to Larry in service. He responded very promptly and sent a new rotor. Great company. Great service.

pattp
7/21/17

I bought my bike back in 2012 and had no issues with my bike. It has been great. You can beat the quality and price point. Recently, I needed some information concerning that past purchase. Larry @ BikesDirect was very helpful. It seemed every question he answered via email, led me to another question. Larry fielded each question promptly through multiple emails. I am sure I was bothering him...lol; but, you could never tell from his replies. If I ever need to purchase another bike...BikesDirect will be the first and only place I turn to.

TY Larry for the help

sandig8
7/17/17

We have purchased 8 bikes from BikesDirect over the years. They've all been great. The last one had a defect in the Shimano Shifter. Our local bike shop is a SRAM dealer, so they were not able to help us. Sending the part to Shimano would have taken 3 or more weeks to resolve. Larry at Bikes Direct ordered the replacement part instead and sent a return label for the defective part. All very timely. We can't say enough good things about BikesDirect (and Larry). Great bikes and great service.

dr1321
7/14/17
• Updated review

As of today, I bought 4 bikes from BikesDirect.
Out of these 4, two had minor issues (thanks they were not major).
Front wheel on one bike was defective (still is). I wrote couple of requests but received no answer. As for other bike, I only asked for an invoice (PayPal did not send me one) and received pretty rude treatment. Speaking with BikesDirect representative was a major disappointment and she hung up on me (!!!).
As you can see, on my scale, BikesDirect gets 0 out of 2.

P.S. in response to BikesDirect rep previous comment.
Mike, BikesDirect operates from Texas and all bikes come from TX.
Why would you say you work in EDT timezone?
If you are genuinely curious, I'll tell you who told me that no one would
help me because all personnel has left for the day (it was early afternoon in TX, though).

“terrible customer service”
6/23/17
• Previous review

Service I had was not friendly at all.
Girl I spoke with had hard time understanding what
billing invoice is and hung up on me saying that
everyone was gone for the day
(it was a middle of the day in Texas, though).

meoc5
7/12/17

Purchased two Motobecane bikes from Bikes Direct in early 2017. One bike came with handlebars put on backwards, easy for us to fix but really? Second bike had Shimano EZFire shifters with problem in left shifter. Bikes Direct wanted us to go to our local bike shop (!) with authorized Shimano repair and then deal with the warranty. We'd have to pay for diagnostics at the bike shop for this even though we could install the replacement. Second option--deal with Shimano directly through customer warranty claim form which is what we did. Bikes Direct could have just sent us the replacement shifter.

miker270
6/24/17

These are great VALUE bikes! I have now bought 3 of these bikes. I did have a minor hiccup with my most recent purchase but Larry took care of me, and made everything right! Top notch customer service, even better components at your price-point. Hard to be disappointed!

davidm666
6/23/17

This is the second bike I have bought from Bikes Direct. I am sure I will buy more in the future. I had a defective part on my recent bike, but it was promptly replaced via priority mail, and I couldn't be happier with my bike! Thanks for the quick and courteous help Larry from BD!
Dave, satisfied customer.

matthewc93
6/22/17

I have had two bikes purchased from here. I love them. You get a great deal. My bike would have cost over 1000 to get something comparable. But I have found that their customer service matched everything else. I had a problem with my freehub. Larry@bikedirect was extremely helpful. Their webpage tells you how you need to contact them and what information you need to include. After that Larry was on top of it and very helpful in explaining my problem then sending a replacement part. Thanks again and I will purchase again from this company.

davids774
6/16/17

I've put over 1000 miles on my fat bike and I love it. I've ridden hard and when I need parts Larry always comes through. If your looking for a great bike at a great price BikesDirect is where its at!

brickb
6/15/17

Weight: 22 lbs (47 cm). Bike and shipping box were unharmed. Assembly took two easy hours.. Paid $400.00. Best bike I've ever owned.

dougs77
6/14/17

Just order my fifth BD bike. Love the first 4.Fifth arrived with wrong pedals. Emailed Larry and he had the correct pair to my house two days later. Fantastic bikes and great customer service.

alanw80
6/13/17

I've bought three bikes from Bikes Direct and had no problems only satisfaction including great service from Larry.

ayb2
6/13/17

Just got my Gravity FSX 29X5 mountain bike. Put it together in a couple hours. It's beautiful. Big 29er wheels are awesome. Larry from bikesdirect immediately addressed issue of minor nicks in finish from shipping. I'm totally happy with the purchase. Responsive customer service like this adds confidence to buying online. Also bought the Fantom Cross Uno steel frame bike from bikesdirect years ago. Never had a problem with it.

marya695
6/9/17

My daughter Mylie wanted a 29er bike which I had no idea what that was. So I went to Amazon but those bikes were either too much or seemed junky. The trek store wants almost $1,000 for one.
Long story short a google search found Bikesdirect and I got a 29er with hydraulic disc brakes like my husband motorcycle
Way under half the price of the bike shop and several hundred less than any similar Amazon mountain bikes
Very happy

Helpful answer

I would recommend that you think about a hybrid bike first, as the tires are larger & the 26 inch wheels are a bit stronger. Also, you will be more comfortable riding on an upright position. If you like it, use it to loose weight while saving for a decent road bike.

By Jeffrey H. on 9/1/15
Helpful answer

No. the bike should come ready to ride.

By Dwight W. on 5/16/15
Helpful answer

Hi - the bike depends upon the type of riding you want to do and what you want out of riding. Do you want comfort? Durability? Speed? More upright riding position? Definitely want to look at bikes with larger tires as they would be more comfortable. The CycleCross type bikes are fast but have a bit larger tires for more durability and comfort than a skinny tire road bike. Check out the OmniStrada which have knobbier and larger tires than the regular cross bikes. They also have top tech tubeless compatible rims which you can easily convert with sealant and kit to being virtually flat free :) Check them out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm

By mike s. [BikesDirect Rep] on 8/24/15
Helpful answer

It depends on which bike you order. I also had to assemble and adjust the rr deraileur and break calipers. If you are not going to be home when it's delivered you can go to ups website and sign in advance. Ups will send you notifications before and when it arrives.

By william d. on 5/6/15
Helpful answer

I don't know of an municipality that requires you to register it.

By Alan F. on 12/17/15
Helpful answer

I think I paid about $55.00 or so. The bike turned out beautifully, it was a gift to my College student son and he loves it.

By Bobby D. on 7/12/15
Helpful answer

Shop costs vary...50 - $100 for assembly...... Yes, I have found my bike to be right on the numbers as far as weight....

By Chris P. on 4/4/15
Helpful answer

Here are some good assembly videos showing a mountain bike and a road bike. It's pretty easy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPLfsDliEk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlRjaJWyo4

By mike s. [BikesDirect Rep] on 6/21/10
Helpful answer

"PERFORMANCE BIKES" ARE A GREAT CHOICE. FOR EXAMPLE, I BOUGHT A ROAD & GRAVEL 18 SPEED WITH A STURDY STEEL FRAME AND DISK BRAKES FROM THEM WHICH WAS $100 LESS (INCLUDING SHIPPING) THAN "BIKES DIRECT'S" ALUMINUM TUBING BIKES THAT WEIGH AS MUCH (OR MORE!). CHECK OUT THE BRITISH BRAND "CHARGE PLUG" (HA! AWFUL NAME) AT PERFORMANCE WHICH COMES WITH ALL THE TOP-OF-THE-LINE COMPONENTS PLUS STEEL FRAME AND WEIGHS JUST 24 POUNDS. ALSO I LIKE THIS BIKE BECAUSE WITH A SIMPLE $34 PART-CHANGE (ON THE REAR-WHEEL) IT'S GEARED FOR STEEP HILL-CLIMBS.

By INGRID P. on 6/26/15
Helpful answer

hi - if you are having trouble purchasing, please call us 9 to 5pm Eastern time, M-Fri 904-249-2453 to place an order :) Yes, we do take paypal and most major credit cards as well :)

By mike s. [BikesDirect Rep] on 6/7/15
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other customers.

29 Photos for BikesDirect