Review of BikesDirect

bd4salesteam@aol.com
2017 Customer choice award

stuartc58
11/19/17

I was a bit apprehensive about BikesDirect at first, but decided to take a leap of faith - and I'm very glad I did. I now have purchased two bikes from them, and will not hesitate to do so again. You will not find better value for your money anywhere else.

Plus, I had a service question and sent an email. I had an answer within an hour, with more tips and a link to a helpful video. Thanks, Larry! You made me even happier with my decision.

karens385
11/18/17

Larry was extremely helpful in getting us the bike parts we needed. We were worried there was so much damage to the bike that it was not repairable, but thanks to Larry helping us order the correct parts, we are very happy we can now repair it.

chrisp227
11/16/17

I have purchased several bikes from bikesdirect.com ranging from an inexpensive fixie/single speed to a high end titanium mountain bike. They have all been excellent values. Until recently I have had no problems and no reason to contact customer service. When I did have some questions and a problem getting a replacement part for a part that I broke, I contacted Larry at bd4servicecenter@aol.com and was blown away by his level of responsiveness. I got quick helpful answers to all my questions and he found me the part I needed right away. Im impressed and Id recommend bikesdirect.com to anyone.

davidc630
11/13/17

I've have my bike for almost two months now. The bike (Windsor - The Hour) was simple to put together and seems well made. Only the simple stuff (pedals, handlebars, etc.) needs to be assembled on the frame. All the geartrain components are already taken care of. The wheels have gone slightly out of true pretty quickly and the spokes could have been tighter in the first instance, but nothing a spoke tool can't fix.
I've had several roadbikes/single-speed bikes in carbon, steel, and aluminium, and bought this one since I moved to a new place and wasn't able to bring over my old ones. It's slightly heavier than my last steel frame single speed (a masi), but is a comfy ride and is nimble enough. Great for around the town and speeding past typical mountain/commuter bikes, but of course any proper geared alloy/carbon roadbike or a more aggressive track bike is going to be quicker. The components are also pretty solid considering what I paid for it.

There was an issue with a defective freewheel that constantly made noise in my initial delivery, but I emailed their customer service and their representative (Larry) was very helpful and quickly sent over a proper shimano replacement. I've recommended bikesdirect to friends who are looking for new, inexpensive and bikes.

ljs3
11/7/17
• Updated review

This is the end of my third season of riding this bike every chance that I get. I ride a few miles every day the weather permits in a small town plus occasional longer rides on public bike trails. I keep it in the garage when not in use. The bike is not left out in the weather so it still looks brand new.

As expected during this time I have needed to adjust the cables and the wheel spokes one time. The spokes will usually loosen some with use and cables will stretch. Anything that you might want to know about a bicycle or how to repair it can be found with and online search.

“Motobecane Bistro 8V”
11/7/17
• Previous review

I ordered this bike online a couple of months ago. Everything worked as it is suppose to work. Order confirmation, shipping confirmation, I Knew when it would be delivered and it did arrive with some damage to the box that it was in but there was no damage to the bike.

Unlike bikes from other companies that were shipped to me for assembly. The bike from BikesDirect was properly adjusted and mostly assembled at it should be so no further adjustments to bearings, brakes or spokes were necessary. I would call it easy to assemble even for a beginner.

I cannot tell you about customer support or help with assembly since there were no problems. The only question I would have is to do with the proper adjustment of the eight speed internal geared hub. Instructions for that are included with the paperwork packaged with the bike. Even though it was properly adjusted at the factory. Adjustment of cables is always needed once the bike has been used some. Parts will seat in and any new cable will stretch some.

The bike itself is great. It is an aluminum bike with a 56 frame size and it is a pleasure to ride. The bike weighs thirty pounds and I hung about three pounds of add-on items such as lights, tool bag with tools and a rear rack.

I have two other bikes. If I decide to buy yet another bike it will be from BikesDirect.

barryd32
11/3/17

The bikes are exactly as described. When I had a warranty issue, Larry made sure that I had my new frame in ONE WEEK.

budw6
11/3/17

I purchased a bike from bd and it was little different then advertised so contacted bd service and larry helped me on my questions was very fast and fair i will certainly use bd again the customer service was outstanding thanks Larry for your help. Having a blast on my new monster

krasia
10/31/17

Got a bike from them (mid level single speed) anti was making a clanking noise when pedaling. Larry from the team responded immediately to my e-mail, requested a video and correctly identified a faulty freewheel. He sent me a replacement which a local bike shop popped in and voila - no clanking! Larry is awesome! The bike, well - I can't expect much from a $289 - and this delivers!

amya100
10/23/17

Super Super happy with the service I have received from you guys. Especially Larry. He's been extremely kind and helpful every step of the way in helping me assemble my new bike safely. Definitely a return customer!!!

marcm70
10/20/17

Bought a new Motobecane fat bike and when it arrived, it had a bent rear derailleur hanger. I sent off an email with a photo of the hanger and they had another one sent to me within hours! Larry handled the issue with amazing speed and provided great customer service. Other companies could learn a lot about customer service from bikes direct. I'm happy with the bike as well and would buy from them again.

jasonr150
10/5/17

Besides the fact that i had originally ordered and paid for a bike that was sold out, Bikesdirect was very"direct" (pun intended) with their assistance to make sure i was compensated. Upon delivery, I was in contact with Larry and he was very helpful with any concern or question I had to setting it up. Larry is an A-class professional. 10/10 will recommend to a friend.

jasonr148
9/26/17

I'm very happy with the service Larry @ BikesDirect has provided after the purchase of my Big Wake 29" BMX. The freewheel was crackling and making an annoying grinding noise. I sent a few photos with a short video clip and Larry determined that the issue was likely the bearings. He shipped me a new wheel along with a return shipping label to ship the defective wheel back. This all happened very quickly all while Larry and BikesDirect were in the path of then cleaning up after a hurricane. I like the bike too, simple, light and cool.

johnr529
9/13/17

I couldn't be happier! My whole experience with BikesDirect was 100% positive! The bike is amazing, the price was amazing, the customer service was amazing. I'm really enjoying this bike it's all that they claimed and more! And light and responsive!
John R. Port Washington

loryt
9/11/17

Have no idea how would I make myself do any workout but for the bysicle I bought here. This is an amazing thing everyone should have when its warm outside. This fall though I'm ready to go on riding it and keep my healthy way of life.

GUYS! Now there are so big discounts! Don't miss them. This store is a convenient place to order at!

christinas127
8/25/17

I ordered a Ladies Windsor Kensington 8 Speed and I absolutely love it! My entire experience with Bikes Direct (BD) was nothing short of spectacular. My shipment came in 2 separate packages and arrived in 4 business days (shipped from TX to NY)! Amazing! With all of my excitement I worried about parts not arriving and immediately after receiving only one package (not knowing if I was supposed to receive both on the same day - I worried...it's natural..lol) I contacted BD with my concerns and within 4 minutes LARRY! A response! I was like "whoa"! Awesome! This gentleman has just made my entire day.... and he wasn't a robot... Larry was very helpful and made sure I was in receipt of everything my order contained. Very patient and kind, and made my experience shopping with BD that much better! Customer service is everything! A big shout out to LARRY! You're terrific and should definitely be recognized for your services! I've already recommended BD to a few friends in the market for a bike and if they are ever in need of customer support, I hope they get LARRY!

All in all, putting the bicycle together was fairly simple, as I have some moderate experience. Within 3 hours I had my beautiful Windsor ready to ride. I took her for a spin and the ride was absolutely comfortable, smooth, sturdy and secure! As far as I'm concerned, I could not find anything wrong with it; no major scratches, just a pin scratch which is very minor and cannot be seen unless you're crazy and looking for that exact scratch in that exact spot... It's perfect and as described. I received all the goodies listed in the description and please with the quality of the bicycle, and the services rendered by the team of Bikes Direct, and special thanks to Larry for wonderful customer support!

Taking my new bike out for a spin tomorrow in Prospect Park, NY and picnic with my friends and my new ride by my side. Very happy! A million thanks!

rajc7
8/18/17

Ordered a Motobecane 529HT Yellow color. Got the bike when it came back in stock. Assembled the bike as needed everything went as normal as usual until I got to the hanger bracket. my hanger bracket was bent and unuseable. I contacted Bikesdirect and got a prompt response and they mailed me another one right away. Larry was tech/customer service guy and he was prompt and very helpful. THe first one hanger he sent out was mis-delivered (the whole neighborhood has been having issues with our mail carrier mis-delivering mail and packages) which I reached out to my neighbors to see if they received it accidentally which they did not. reached back out to Larry and he sent me another one even though they charged me for the second one (which I understood why) I got the second one promptly (and it wasn't mis-delviered...whew!!!). Hanger fit on perfectly and finished assembling the bike. Thanks Larry and Bikesdirect!!!

brianc193
8/11/17

I bought a road bike it was smashed up I emailed them 20 times never got a response it cost me 200 more for parts and 38 for labor and there no way to contacked these people its bull $hit that they will not anwer so it ended up costing me 485.00 all to gather the front brake was craked ,the wheel was so out of true the bike shops I went to would no work on it , the the crank was bent and the rear derailleur hanger was bent no replies

shawnb63
8/4/17

I ordered a Wellington 2.0 bike as advertised which was delivered in the communicated amount of time. Upon assembly, I noticed that the derailleur hangar was bent. I took pictures, e-mailed the service department at Bikes Direct, and within a short period of time, Larry sent me a new hangar to fix the problem. From this first experience in buying from Bikes Direct, this type of service and responsiveness makes Bikes Direct a great company. I will definitely purchase from BD again in the future when I need another bike and will definitely recommend this company to others. Thanks Larry and the BD team!

ch26689
8/3/17

I own two Motobecane bikes. I got a stress crack on my Ti Fly frame and it took 6 months to fulfill the warranty for my frame. Would u go 6 months without your frame? Very upsetting.

markf165
8/2/17

Great experience so far. I bought the Fantom Cross Ti bike with Ultegra components and Avid brakes and Ritchey bars, stem, post and seat. So, even though some will poo-poo the Taiwanese Ti frame (Even though it seems many Ti frames come from there) I don't think there is anything close to this deal for a NEW bike.
Mine did come with a scuffed fork which Larry at customer service took care of...with only slight arm twisting:) New fork on its way! I'm a bike mechanic so since I have yet to have a bike with newer generation components I will probably tear everything apart and put it together...just for fun.

robertm533
8/2/17

Only the thing that surpasses the quality and value of their selection, are the equally if not more impressive, are the employees....specifically, in my case, LARRY !
Had a disappointing incident that he handled in a more than satisfactory manor.
Love this place, will continue to spend my money here, and recommend you do the same ! ask for LARRY !

andrewh184
8/1/17

I bought a 2017 Night Train fat bike from BikesDirect because the price couldn't be beat by any local bike shop while comparing similarly spec'd bikes. The process was straight-forward once I figured out how to proceed through the "check-out" to verify my bike was in-stock. The bike shipped and arrived at the house within 1 week via FedEx without damage. Assembly was easy and consisted of mounting the handlebars, front brake rotor, and my own pedals. I believe assembly could be done in 15-20 minutes if I had to do it again, but I had never assembled my own bike and wanted to be sure I did it correctly so it took me about an hour. The bike shifted crisply and braked great with no rubbing, right out of the box. The wheels were dead-straight true. I have since set them up tubeless with special stems and fluid I bought separately; I highly recommend this as it now allows me to ride off-road without fear of flats from the countless goat-heads that grow here.
Customer service was great. For some reason my bike was sent with a 65mm stem instead of the stated 110mm, which made the bike fit slightly smaller than I liked. My email to BikesDirect was answered the next day by Larry, who promptly sent out a brand-new stem for me to try. The bike fits great now and I couldn't be happier; the bike is a blast to ride and I love the 4.8" tires for their grip, cushion, and stability.
I was initially skeptical about buying a bicycle online, but from this experience I will likely be buying from BikesDirect again in the future.

Tip for consumers: Be sure the product you want is in stock by selecting it in the drop-down menu AND proceeding through the first check-out steps prior to paying. Even though the item shows up in the drop-down menu, it may not actually be available, and this will not be readily apparent until you add it to the cart and proceed to checkout.

darrink2
7/28/17

So far I am not super impressed. You spend $1500 dollars with someone, you kind of expect a rapid response. It has been a couple of days and I have tried to call (no. way to get through or even a message machine) I will alter this review if they get back to me soon (perhaps they are overrun with bike sales today). If not I will simply call the cc company and work it out with them.

steveh239
7/25/17

My Boris X5 arrived promptly. Great deal. Everything was AOK; only minor problem was a front rotor that was slightly "dished." Sent email to Larry in service. He responded very promptly and sent a new rotor. Great company. Great service.

pattp
7/21/17

I bought my bike back in 2012 and had no issues with my bike. It has been great. You can beat the quality and price point. Recently, I needed some information concerning that past purchase. Larry @ BikesDirect was very helpful. It seemed every question he answered via email, led me to another question. Larry fielded each question promptly through multiple emails. I am sure I was bothering him...lol; but, you could never tell from his replies. If I ever need to purchase another bike...BikesDirect will be the first and only place I turn to.

TY Larry for the help

I would recommend that you think about a hybrid bike first, as the tires are larger & the 26 inch wheels are a bit stronger. Also, you will be more comfortable riding on an upright position. If you like it, use it to loose weight while saving for a decent road bike.

By Jeffrey H.

Hi - the bike depends upon the type of riding you want to do and what you want out of riding. Do you want comfort? Durability? Speed? More upright riding position? Definitely want to look at bikes with larger tires as they would be more comfortable. The CycleCross type bikes are fast but have a bit larger tires for more durability and comfort than a skinny tire road bike. Check out the OmniStrada which have knobbier and larger tires than the regular cross bikes. They also have top tech tubeless compatible rims which you can easily convert with sealant and kit to being virtually flat free :) Check them out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm

By mike s. [BikesDirect Rep]

It depends on which bike you order. I also had to assemble and adjust the rr deraileur and break calipers. If you are not going to be home when it's delivered you can go to ups website and sign in advance. Ups will send you notifications before and when it arrives.

By william d.

I don't know of an municipality that requires you to register it.

By Alan F.

I think I paid about $55.00 or so. The bike turned out beautifully, it was a gift to my College student son and he loves it.

By Bobby D.

Shop costs vary...50 - $100 for assembly...... Yes, I have found my bike to be right on the numbers as far as weight....

By Chris P.

Here are some good assembly videos showing a mountain bike and a road bike. It's pretty easy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPLfsDliEk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlRjaJWyo4

By mike s. [BikesDirect Rep]

"PERFORMANCE BIKES" ARE A GREAT CHOICE. FOR EXAMPLE, I BOUGHT A ROAD & GRAVEL 18 SPEED WITH A STURDY STEEL FRAME AND DISK BRAKES FROM THEM WHICH WAS $100 LESS (INCLUDING SHIPPING) THAN "BIKES DIRECT'S" ALUMINUM TUBING BIKES THAT WEIGH AS MUCH (OR MORE!). CHECK OUT THE BRITISH BRAND "CHARGE PLUG" (HA! AWFUL NAME) AT PERFORMANCE WHICH COMES WITH ALL THE TOP-OF-THE-LINE COMPONENTS PLUS STEEL FRAME AND WEIGHS JUST 24 POUNDS. ALSO I LIKE THIS BIKE BECAUSE WITH A SIMPLE $34 PART-CHANGE (ON THE REAR-WHEEL) IT'S GEARED FOR STEEP HILL-CLIMBS.

By INGRID P.

hi - if you are having trouble purchasing, please call us 9 to 5pm Eastern time, M-Fri 904-249-2453 to place an order :) Yes, we do take paypal and most major credit cards as well :)

By mike s. [BikesDirect Rep]
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other customers.

29 Photos for BikesDirect