US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

michaelr262
9/14/16

Bought a Bikes Direct 29er at Christmas. The delivery was 1 day early to my surprise, couldn't wait to get it put together. The hardest part about it was getting it out of the box and the wrapping. The packaging is well thought out and very protective. My box arrived with a smash mark in the side of the box, but everything inside was so well protected there was no damage. The assembly process is not difficult at all (I am very mechanically inclined) The directions are clear, read them twice they are a translation from another language. The adjustments for both the derailleurs and the disc brakes were very close and could have been ridden as received. Now that we are almost through the summer and I have some mileage on it love the bike. It is a great ride and the price was very good.

Tip for consumers: There are so many choices it is like a kid in a candy store.

allisonk30
8/24/16

When I first received the Motobecane bike I thought "what the heck did I get myself into?" but then Larry at Bikesdirect calmed me down and it came out perfect! I've made 4 trips around our local lake and couldn't be happier. Don't be afraid of a bike in a box!

ronh91
8/10/16

Bike was in great shape went together fine but the front brake cable assembly was totally missing!Was not on bike as delivered and no-where in box-I had to order another from Amazon in 3 pieces to make what I needed-very hard to contact of these people for anything-
Kinda disappointed some thing important was missing!
Bikesdirect got with me after I e-mailed them and they sent me the missing parts pronto-I am totally ok with deal now -thanks

michaelw279
8/9/16

just installed a set of single speed Baker Street wheels on a commuter bike for my son. I only needed a rear wheel but the used wheels at the multitudes of shops her in Portland were all $70-$150! For a basic 10 year old wheel. I saw those while searching the web and at $49 including tires and tubes were worth a chance. What I got was a well built nameless double wall rim, a decent set of hubs, stainless spokes and a set of kenda tires. I thought I would have to true them and grease and adjust the hubs but they were perfect right out of the box. After reading negative stuff about bikes direct by the bike snobs I can tell you my experience was great. I raced bicycles for most of my youth, and worked in bike shops so I'm no novice. I got a solid set of wheels for a great price.

roberts478
8/9/16

I was skeptical about buying a bicycle unseen, but went for it. I placed the order then realized I wanted a different size. I emailed Bikes Direct at 10:30 pm and a woman named Karla replied the next day got me the right size ordered. I received the bicycle in a few days and it's been great ever since. I will not hesitate to order again from this company.

pats183
8/6/16

Winter is coming sometime; and I thought I should jump on the fat bike craze

Problem is that stores all get over $1500 for a fattie

The gravity bullseye monster is one of the best fat bikes under $1500
And I found one on bikesdirect for $499
With free shipping !!

After I placed my order , it showed up in three days it perfect condition
Saving me well over $500

I love my fat bike

jamess444
8/6/16

I just got my third ATB from bikesdirect - what a deal on HAL5: paid $1099 for a full suspension that would go for over $2000 in a shop

Plus I paid no sales tax and got free shipping

All my purchases from BD have gone smoothmy
Plus several guys in my riding group have gotten mountain bike deals from this site .

Not sure how they do it: but their deals can not be beat!!!

Rock on guys

georgir
8/6/16

I bought two bikes feel that I really got more than my money's worth.
They look awesome and the ride is killer!
I did have to settle on another color for my girlfriend's bike, as the first one had sold out shortly before I placed my order. Wasn't really a huge deal for us as we were in it for the value and bikesdirect hooked us up on the 2nd bike.

All-in-all happy with my purchase

rachelb92
8/5/16

BOTTOM LINE, ASSEMBLY AND LABOR WOULD NOT NEED TO BE COVERED IF THE BIKE YOU SENT WAS PROPERLY PACKAGED. BY SENDING REPLACEMENT RIMS YOU AGREED THAT YOUR PRODUCT WAS PACKAGED POORLY. SO BECAUSE OF YOUR POORLY PACKAGED PRODUCT, I, THE CUSTOMER, SHOULD BE STUCK WITH THE ADDITIONAL COST? AND ON TOP OF THAT, THIS WAS A BIRTHDAY PRESENT FOR MY HUSBAND WHO HAS BEEN GOING BACK AND FOURTH WITH YOU FOR 2 MONTHS NOW

davida273
8/3/16

Ordered a Diamondback Overdrive, it came earlier than quoted. Gears were perfectly adjusted out of the box, and assembly was simple.

juliaa28
7/21/16

I highly recommend Bikes Direct the Customer service is great, and fast response, very helpful, Delivery is top notch.

andyg54
7/11/16

Good quality bikes good price fast shipping. I bought two bikes and they fit me perfectly. First one got stolen. Never had to contact their customer support so no comment on that. One suggestion is to include a way to review each bike like Amazon. This is my go to place for bikes.

annied22
7/5/16

I ordered a townie bike to ride around downtown and love it!
Cute colors and inexpensive! Sorta like a DIY project with a functional reward at the end.
I recommended bikesdirect to my friends for when they need a bike of their own.
Choosing a bike can be hard only because they have lots of options and some bikes are really similar.
Once you find one you like ordering is simple and shipping doesn't take more than a week.

jordanm77
7/2/16

I was impressed by the turnaround on my bike. I ordered it on a Tuesday and had it on my doorstep the same Friday.
Almost wish I had bought two since the bike ended up being much nicer than I had anticipated.
Ride is smooth and no complaints spring to mind.

charlesb143
6/30/16

Nervous about buying a bike online without sitting on it but I couldn't pass up that price!
Got it in a little less than a week, had it thrown together in 25 minutes.
After some tweaks and tuning over the next day or two, I had a bona fide bicycle!

louisv22
6/28/16

Leaving this review as bikesdirect is a good deal better than I had hoped.
Had to do my research as bike must be built personally, but if you can put together an IKEA desk or lego set, shouldn't be much issue

fredb68
6/23/16

Hi, I'm 64, a retired Firefighter that used to run marathons and do biathelons until an injury. My last race was over 20 yrs ago (my bike was stolen). Decided to treat myself to a bike to get active in retirement. Ordered an AVE. D from BD, received it in 3 days. I think it's a work of art in Burnt Orange, I never used index shifters before, SWEET, lighter than anything I rode before and with disk brakes I can still stop during TX coastal rains. I had to pay taxes being in Texas and still think that at $432.00 this is by far the best bike value around. A few months of training then, see you at the races.

nickm102
6/16/16

I just got a new Hal 5 and it's been great. UPS smashed up the rear derailleur hanger, and Larry send me a new one and a surprise with the package 30 min after I explained the problem. These guys have top notch stuff and function with a very high level of customer service. I'm a customer for life!

jasonk75
5/26/16

I was able to purchase my new bike easily on bikesdirect.com. I received communication from them and my bike arrived from UPS just 3 days later. ( I ordered on Tuesday and received my bike on friday). I assembled it easily and was up and riding by Saturday afternoon. I would purchase from this company again.

johnx4
5/26/16

when I shop online
I want a good selection, safety, good products, free shipping, no sales tax, and a super good price

Bikesdirect has it all

I have purchased two bikes from BD and I am looking at a 3rd

Everyone knows their prices are the best in the bike business
But service, shipping, quality
They have the entire package

chucky2
4/29/16

Overall, a really good deal. Customer service was initially slow but responsive. The wheels came in missing parts. The box arrived open by UPS. Initially had trouble fitting the wheels because of missing parts. Once in touch with service adviser Larry the problem solving began. Larry stayed a bit late with me on a Friday. Found out I was missing spacers. These were sent the following Monday and arrived on Thursday. I needed to file the spacers down a bit but got them to fit. Wheels are well built and true.

Basically, need to be patient if there is a problem. The hours are limitted, but I felt Larry was helpful.

Tip for consumers: Be patient.

maryh205
4/26/16

My husband wanted a nice bike that I felt we could not afford

A friend told me to look online and I found a fat tire bike just like he wanted at Bikesdirect

Stores wanted over $1600 which was about $2000 with tax

I am not sure that the $499 tax free bike I got is as good; but I know my husband loves it and rides a lot

Loving the fact that I could make him happy within our budget

phils63
4/25/16

If you're a bike snob, stop reading now. Nothing I say will matter. I've bought 5 bikes, road, mountain and fat bikes from bikesdirect. You get great value.. just read the components, Shimano 105 is the same no matter where you get it. I had problems with a cassette, bikesdirect replaced it, no questions asked, with a better model than was originally on the bike. UPS misplaced a bike that was going to my son at college. Bikesdirect sent another one with expedited shipping. I run into people on trails with bikesdirect bikes ( I know their brands by now ), and everyone I meet is happy with their purchase.

justinm82
4/24/16

This is my fifth bike through them two from two from Cycle Spectrum and three from Bikes direct.com. All bikes have exceeded my expectations. I have lived past 12 years car free and these bikes have performed as should in bad weather and terrible Houstons pot hole littered streets. I have bought from major manufacturers and even had bike custom built these bikes can hold their own against them. I make a modest living so this company allows me to afford a bike that could not normally afford. Keep up the good work bikesdiirect, you have a long time loyal customer.

steveg106
4/23/16

I have ordered five bikes from bikesdirect

Every time it was the the same; great price; tracking email at once; bike delivered in perfect shape ; setup and assembly no problem -- and bike same quality as the best offered in any bike shop at half the price!

I have told friends about the site who have had the same experience; so why not spread the word on the net? Bikesdirect is the real deal

45 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the BikesDirect staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Answer
mikes244
A: hi - No worries - all bicycles Sold by Bikesdirect.com will certainly have tires as listed in the specs :)
No bicycles can be sent via UPS fully assembled. You do get free shipping to 48 States.

It's easy to assemble your own bike- a 11 year old customer did it themselves and sent us their video of them assembling their own bike :) Check it out - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/instructionhelp.htm
Helpful answer
Add your answer
1 week ago
Answer
mikes244
A: hi there are many different bikes that will suit your purposes. Please email bd4salesteam@aol.com with your budget and more info and they'll get you on the perfect bike :)
Helpful answer