Review of BikesDirect

Dallas, TX 75238, US
bd4salesteam@aol.com

steveh239
7/25/17

My Boris X5 arrived promptly. Great deal. Everything was AOK; only minor problem was a front rotor that was slightly "dished." Sent email to Larry in service. He responded very promptly and sent a new rotor. Great company. Great service.

pattp
7/21/17

I bought my bike back in 2012 and had no issues with my bike. It has been great. You can beat the quality and price point. Recently, I needed some information concerning that past purchase. Larry @ BikesDirect was very helpful. It seemed every question he answered via email, led me to another question. Larry fielded each question promptly through multiple emails. I am sure I was bothering him...lol; but, you could never tell from his replies. If I ever need to purchase another bike...BikesDirect will be the first and only place I turn to.

TY Larry for the help

sandig8
7/17/17

We have purchased 8 bikes from BikesDirect over the years. They've all been great. The last one had a defect in the Shimano Shifter. Our local bike shop is a SRAM dealer, so they were not able to help us. Sending the part to Shimano would have taken 3 or more weeks to resolve. Larry at Bikes Direct ordered the replacement part instead and sent a return label for the defective part. All very timely. We can't say enough good things about BikesDirect (and Larry). Great bikes and great service.

dr1321
7/14/17
• Updated review

As of today, I bought 4 bikes from BikesDirect.
Out of these 4, two had minor issues (thanks they were not major).
Front wheel on one bike was defective (still is). I wrote couple of requests but received no answer. As for other bike, I only asked for an invoice (PayPal did not send me one) and received pretty rude treatment. Speaking with BikesDirect representative was a major disappointment and she hung up on me (!!!).
As you can see, on my scale, BikesDirect gets 0 out of 2.

P.S. in response to BikesDirect rep previous comment.
Mike, BikesDirect operates from Texas and all bikes come from TX.
Why would you say you work in EDT timezone?
If you are genuinely curious, I'll tell you who told me that no one would
help me because all personnel has left for the day (it was early afternoon in TX, though).

“terrible customer service”
6/23/17
• Previous review

Service I had was not friendly at all.
Girl I spoke with had hard time understanding what
billing invoice is and hung up on me saying that
everyone was gone for the day
(it was a middle of the day in Texas, though).

meoc5
7/12/17

Purchased two Motobecane bikes from Bikes Direct in early 2017. One bike came with handlebars put on backwards, easy for us to fix but really? Second bike had Shimano EZFire shifters with problem in left shifter. Bikes Direct wanted us to go to our local bike shop (!) with authorized Shimano repair and then deal with the warranty. We'd have to pay for diagnostics at the bike shop for this even though we could install the replacement. Second option--deal with Shimano directly through customer warranty claim form which is what we did. Bikes Direct could have just sent us the replacement shifter.

miker270
6/24/17

These are great VALUE bikes! I have now bought 3 of these bikes. I did have a minor hiccup with my most recent purchase but Larry took care of me, and made everything right! Top notch customer service, even better components at your price-point. Hard to be disappointed!

davidm666
6/23/17

This is the second bike I have bought from Bikes Direct. I am sure I will buy more in the future. I had a defective part on my recent bike, but it was promptly replaced via priority mail, and I couldn't be happier with my bike! Thanks for the quick and courteous help Larry from BD!
Dave, satisfied customer.

matthewc93
6/22/17

I have had two bikes purchased from here. I love them. You get a great deal. My bike would have cost over 1000 to get something comparable. But I have found that their customer service matched everything else. I had a problem with my freehub. Larry@bikedirect was extremely helpful. Their webpage tells you how you need to contact them and what information you need to include. After that Larry was on top of it and very helpful in explaining my problem then sending a replacement part. Thanks again and I will purchase again from this company.

davids774
6/16/17

I've put over 1000 miles on my fat bike and I love it. I've ridden hard and when I need parts Larry always comes through. If your looking for a great bike at a great price BikesDirect is where its at!

brickb
6/15/17

Weight: 22 lbs (47 cm). Bike and shipping box were unharmed. Assembly took two easy hours.. Paid $400.00. Best bike I've ever owned.

dougs77
6/14/17

Just order my fifth BD bike. Love the first 4.Fifth arrived with wrong pedals. Emailed Larry and he had the correct pair to my house two days later. Fantastic bikes and great customer service.

alanw80
6/13/17

I've bought three bikes from Bikes Direct and had no problems only satisfaction including great service from Larry.

ayb2
6/13/17

Just got my Gravity FSX 29X5 mountain bike. Put it together in a couple hours. It's beautiful. Big 29er wheels are awesome. Larry from bikesdirect immediately addressed issue of minor nicks in finish from shipping. I'm totally happy with the purchase. Responsive customer service like this adds confidence to buying online. Also bought the Fantom Cross Uno steel frame bike from bikesdirect years ago. Never had a problem with it.

marya695
6/9/17

My daughter Mylie wanted a 29er bike which I had no idea what that was. So I went to Amazon but those bikes were either too much or seemed junky. The trek store wants almost $1,000 for one.
Long story short a google search found Bikesdirect and I got a 29er with hydraulic disc brakes like my husband motorcycle
Way under half the price of the bike shop and several hundred less than any similar Amazon mountain bikes
Very happy

joyleneg
6/7/17

Wanted to say thanks to Karla for the great customer service. I shopped around and could not find a better deal for a similar bike. The Trek bike shop was even impressed when I had them put on my rack.
They had some FX bikes that were similar but more than $100 more

kurtm25
6/6/17

I was looking at Bikesdirect bikes for a long time and weighing between them and a few other online dealers. I purchased the HAL6 PRO because I couldn't find a better deal and the geometry fit my body type. I had somewhat lower expectations because their website seemed dated but I trust Paypal and they used it. However, I received my package on time and the bike was in perfect condition. After several ride I'm very pleased with the bike.

rodolfoc10
6/6/17

I was looking for a good time a good and economic fat bike. For me it was worth the wait, when I found this web site and read all the information on the bike I really liked it. Shipping was super fast and above all easy to assemble. It was the best thing I did now, I go to work and come back, I walk and I train. I've also taken her to the mountain and she's an all-terrain !! I highly recommend it !!

josel155
6/6/17

I hesitate at first about buying a bike online, but when I saw the BikesDirect price, I thought it's worth a try and I didn't regret it. My Fuji Transonic arrived in good condition with minimal parts to be install. So far I've put 540 miles on it and used it last Sunday at the 2017 LA River ride. Definitely my next bike purchased will be at BIkesDirect.

kirkw17
6/1/17

I bought my Motobecane Fantom DS Comp 29er from Bikes Direct a while back. The ordering process was easy & straightforward and my bike was delivered exactly when promised! :-) The bike itself was even better than what I was expecting, and I was expecting a great bike. However, when I received the bike there was one slight blemish to the paint on the rear triangle. I brought it to the attention of Bikes Direct, they promptly replied and remedied the situation to my complete satisfaction! I would definitely buy another bike from them and I certainly plan on doing so in the near future! It's rare to find a company that provides so much quality for such a reasonable price. 5 stars! Thanks again

danielw134
5/31/17

So online bike purchasing? Well after much consideration over fit, features and price I chose Bikesdirect.com.
Make sure you read the descriptions and are clear about what you want just like any purchase and you will be pleased. I was excited to receive my bike in such a quick timeframe and assembling was a breeze. I did get a double check/ tune up at the local shop but even they said it was not really needed. Have I made a few upgrades and tweaks? Well with the money I saved it was nothing to upgrade a few components solely for personal preference. I got the Motobecame Elite Trail in black. It rides smooth and fast perfect for my loop that is pavement and sandy hard pack trail. I do 6 miles a day to the gym and back and it is so light and responsive. I compared it to Trek and Specialized and found the price point was to good to pass up. I would swap out the SRAM components as I had not used them before and rather like the single paddle Shimano but it is smooth and easy to adjust. Saddle was nice. Wheel set has proven to be awesome although I am thinking of going full tubeless ( they are ready when I am) I still ride on the WTB Nano that was stock. Sun tour shock in front is ok I keep it locked mostly but with the remote super easy to engage. Will be swapping out for clipless pedals but so far very happy with the bike and Bikes Direct Team! Highly recommend!

mikes545
5/30/17

Hi guys, Received my Dover 3 in about 5 days from ordering. Came packaged very well. Since I've never assembled a bike, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I did get a multi-tool to help and have for future use. I also pulled up a YouTube video as a guide.

The assembly was quite straight forward and didn't take much time at all. The bike rides very well. Incredibly pleased. This was the only bike I found that had adjustable handlebars, a lock out front suspension and disk brakes. And the price was $300-$400 less than others I looked at.

Thanks a bunch. Mike

steveh223
5/20/17

I ordered a Motobecane Fantom 29er, received in the timeframe given, was EXACTLY as described in the listing and is PERFECT!! I wasn't expecting a high-end mountain bike although Bikes Direct does have them, I was just wanting a decent, fairly equipped, fair priced bike to do a little off-roading and this certainly fits the bill. Bike was easy to assemble & required very little adjustment. I did have a small issue with the rear derailleur that I'm sure was bent during shipping (not Bikes Direct fault) but was easily straightened & everything works perfect. I've read numerous articles on the internet against buying a bike online BUT, if you know what you want, know what you NEED, then I'm certain Bikes Direct is where you need to buy your next bike. My overall experience was FANTASTIC & I highly recommend Bikes Direct!! Thank you to all at Bikes Direct!

brendonk2
5/18/17

I ordered my Motobecane single speed and the bike arrived as scheduled and in perfect condition. Upon riding it, there was a knocking noise that sounded like it was coming from the bottom bracket or freewheel. I emailed BD and Larry was super responsive and immediately sent a new Shimano freewheel (probably a lot better one than was originally on there) and that took care of the issue.

davidb679
5/16/17
• Updated review

Bike shipped Monday,arrived Thursday. Got to admit it seems like a lot of bike for the price. Good product,bad service? I guess you have to give up something. Will update again after i have ridden for a few weeks.

“2 weeks,no bike,no contact!”
5/16/17
• Previous review

Ordered Elite Trail Blue23. Paypal paid April 27th. May 9th call to find out why no bike, no email,no word at all? Very friendly woman looked into it. order placed on hold, they can't tell me why. Best they can do is ship it out today. If your going to place a hold on a order after you accept payment how about sending a email or some contact informing the customer? At least then i could have taken care of it. Still waiting on bike,will update review when on road.

mikej198
5/12/17

We've bought 3 bikes from BikesDirect so far. My brother, an avid MTBer, and a roadie friend both recommended BikesDirect. I knew going into it that the bikes would need partial assembly and tuning and decided I'd take on the tuning myself.

All 3 bikes (purchased over a 6 month period) are great quality, arrived in great condition. Larry in service was so helpful along the way and a major reason for repeat business. The last bike had a break pad that had come off during shipment and even that was resolved quickly.

If you're buying a bike from BikesDirect, know that you either have to do the work or take it into a local bike shop to be tuned. If you go into it knowing this, I think BikesDirect is an awesome place to get a good quality bike at a very reasonable price.

Helpful answer

I would recommend that you think about a hybrid bike first, as the tires are larger & the 26 inch wheels are a bit stronger. Also, you will be more comfortable riding on an upright position. If you like it, use it to loose weight while saving for a decent road bike.

By Jeffrey H. on 9/1/15
Helpful answer

No. the bike should come ready to ride.

By Dwight W. on 5/16/15
Helpful answer

Hi - the bike depends upon the type of riding you want to do and what you want out of riding. Do you want comfort? Durability? Speed? More upright riding position? Definitely want to look at bikes with larger tires as they would be more comfortable. The CycleCross type bikes are fast but have a bit larger tires for more durability and comfort than a skinny tire road bike. Check out the OmniStrada which have knobbier and larger tires than the regular cross bikes. They also have top tech tubeless compatible rims which you can easily convert with sealant and kit to being virtually flat free :) Check them out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm

By mike s. [BikesDirect Rep] on 8/24/15
Helpful answer

It depends on which bike you order. I also had to assemble and adjust the rr deraileur and break calipers. If you are not going to be home when it's delivered you can go to ups website and sign in advance. Ups will send you notifications before and when it arrives.

By william d. on 5/6/15
Helpful answer

I don't know of an municipality that requires you to register it.

By Alan F. on 12/17/15
Helpful answer

I think I paid about $55.00 or so. The bike turned out beautifully, it was a gift to my College student son and he loves it.

By Bobby D. on 7/12/15
Helpful answer

Shop costs vary...50 - $100 for assembly...... Yes, I have found my bike to be right on the numbers as far as weight....

By Chris P. on 4/4/15
Helpful answer

Here are some good assembly videos showing a mountain bike and a road bike. It's pretty easy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPLfsDliEk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlRjaJWyo4

By mike s. [BikesDirect Rep] on 6/21/10
Helpful answer

"PERFORMANCE BIKES" ARE A GREAT CHOICE. FOR EXAMPLE, I BOUGHT A ROAD & GRAVEL 18 SPEED WITH A STURDY STEEL FRAME AND DISK BRAKES FROM THEM WHICH WAS $100 LESS (INCLUDING SHIPPING) THAN "BIKES DIRECT'S" ALUMINUM TUBING BIKES THAT WEIGH AS MUCH (OR MORE!). CHECK OUT THE BRITISH BRAND "CHARGE PLUG" (HA! AWFUL NAME) AT PERFORMANCE WHICH COMES WITH ALL THE TOP-OF-THE-LINE COMPONENTS PLUS STEEL FRAME AND WEIGHS JUST 24 POUNDS. ALSO I LIKE THIS BIKE BECAUSE WITH A SIMPLE $34 PART-CHANGE (ON THE REAR-WHEEL) IT'S GEARED FOR STEEP HILL-CLIMBS.

By INGRID P. on 6/26/15
Helpful answer

hi - if you are having trouble purchasing, please call us 9 to 5pm Eastern time, M-Fri 904-249-2453 to place an order :) Yes, we do take paypal and most major credit cards as well :)

By mike s. [BikesDirect Rep] on 6/7/15
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other customers.

29 Photos for BikesDirect