Review of BikesDirect

bd4salesteam@aol.com
2017 Customer choice award

joyleneg
6/7/17

Wanted to say thanks to Karla for the great customer service. I shopped around and could not find a better deal for a similar bike. The Trek bike shop was even impressed when I had them put on my rack.
They had some FX bikes that were similar but more than $100 more

kurtm25
6/6/17

I was looking at Bikesdirect bikes for a long time and weighing between them and a few other online dealers. I purchased the HAL6 PRO because I couldn't find a better deal and the geometry fit my body type. I had somewhat lower expectations because their website seemed dated but I trust Paypal and they used it. However, I received my package on time and the bike was in perfect condition. After several ride I'm very pleased with the bike.

rodolfoc10
6/6/17

I was looking for a good time a good and economic fat bike. For me it was worth the wait, when I found this web site and read all the information on the bike I really liked it. Shipping was super fast and above all easy to assemble. It was the best thing I did now, I go to work and come back, I walk and I train. I've also taken her to the mountain and she's an all-terrain !! I highly recommend it !!

josel155
6/6/17

I hesitate at first about buying a bike online, but when I saw the BikesDirect price, I thought it's worth a try and I didn't regret it. My Fuji Transonic arrived in good condition with minimal parts to be install. So far I've put 540 miles on it and used it last Sunday at the 2017 LA River ride. Definitely my next bike purchased will be at BIkesDirect.

kirkw17
6/1/17

I bought my Motobecane Fantom DS Comp 29er from Bikes Direct a while back. The ordering process was easy & straightforward and my bike was delivered exactly when promised! :-) The bike itself was even better than what I was expecting, and I was expecting a great bike. However, when I received the bike there was one slight blemish to the paint on the rear triangle. I brought it to the attention of Bikes Direct, they promptly replied and remedied the situation to my complete satisfaction! I would definitely buy another bike from them and I certainly plan on doing so in the near future! It's rare to find a company that provides so much quality for such a reasonable price. 5 stars! Thanks again

danielw134
5/31/17

So online bike purchasing? Well after much consideration over fit, features and price I chose Bikesdirect.com.
Make sure you read the descriptions and are clear about what you want just like any purchase and you will be pleased. I was excited to receive my bike in such a quick timeframe and assembling was a breeze. I did get a double check/ tune up at the local shop but even they said it was not really needed. Have I made a few upgrades and tweaks? Well with the money I saved it was nothing to upgrade a few components solely for personal preference. I got the Motobecame Elite Trail in black. It rides smooth and fast perfect for my loop that is pavement and sandy hard pack trail. I do 6 miles a day to the gym and back and it is so light and responsive. I compared it to Trek and Specialized and found the price point was to good to pass up. I would swap out the SRAM components as I had not used them before and rather like the single paddle Shimano but it is smooth and easy to adjust. Saddle was nice. Wheel set has proven to be awesome although I am thinking of going full tubeless ( they are ready when I am) I still ride on the WTB Nano that was stock. Sun tour shock in front is ok I keep it locked mostly but with the remote super easy to engage. Will be swapping out for clipless pedals but so far very happy with the bike and Bikes Direct Team! Highly recommend!

mikes545
5/30/17

Hi guys, Received my Dover 3 in about 5 days from ordering. Came packaged very well. Since I've never assembled a bike, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I did get a multi-tool to help and have for future use. I also pulled up a YouTube video as a guide.

The assembly was quite straight forward and didn't take much time at all. The bike rides very well. Incredibly pleased. This was the only bike I found that had adjustable handlebars, a lock out front suspension and disk brakes. And the price was $300-$400 less than others I looked at.

Thanks a bunch. Mike

steveh223
5/20/17

I ordered a Motobecane Fantom 29er, received in the timeframe given, was EXACTLY as described in the listing and is PERFECT!! I wasn't expecting a high-end mountain bike although Bikes Direct does have them, I was just wanting a decent, fairly equipped, fair priced bike to do a little off-roading and this certainly fits the bill. Bike was easy to assemble & required very little adjustment. I did have a small issue with the rear derailleur that I'm sure was bent during shipping (not Bikes Direct fault) but was easily straightened & everything works perfect. I've read numerous articles on the internet against buying a bike online BUT, if you know what you want, know what you NEED, then I'm certain Bikes Direct is where you need to buy your next bike. My overall experience was FANTASTIC & I highly recommend Bikes Direct!! Thank you to all at Bikes Direct!

brendonk2
5/18/17

I ordered my Motobecane single speed and the bike arrived as scheduled and in perfect condition. Upon riding it, there was a knocking noise that sounded like it was coming from the bottom bracket or freewheel. I emailed BD and Larry was super responsive and immediately sent a new Shimano freewheel (probably a lot better one than was originally on there) and that took care of the issue.

davidb679
5/16/17
• Updated review

Bike shipped Monday,arrived Thursday. Got to admit it seems like a lot of bike for the price. Good product,bad service? I guess you have to give up something. Will update again after i have ridden for a few weeks.

“2 weeks,no bike,no contact!”
5/16/17
• Previous review

Ordered Elite Trail Blue23. Paypal paid April 27th. May 9th call to find out why no bike, no email,no word at all? Very friendly woman looked into it. order placed on hold, they can't tell me why. Best they can do is ship it out today. If your going to place a hold on a order after you accept payment how about sending a email or some contact informing the customer? At least then i could have taken care of it. Still waiting on bike,will update review when on road.

mikej198
5/12/17

We've bought 3 bikes from BikesDirect so far. My brother, an avid MTBer, and a roadie friend both recommended BikesDirect. I knew going into it that the bikes would need partial assembly and tuning and decided I'd take on the tuning myself.

All 3 bikes (purchased over a 6 month period) are great quality, arrived in great condition. Larry in service was so helpful along the way and a major reason for repeat business. The last bike had a break pad that had come off during shipment and even that was resolved quickly.

If you're buying a bike from BikesDirect, know that you either have to do the work or take it into a local bike shop to be tuned. If you go into it knowing this, I think BikesDirect is an awesome place to get a good quality bike at a very reasonable price.

danb190
5/11/17

I recently bought a full suspension mountain bike from Bikesdirect.com. The bicycle I ordered arrived in excellent condition and very promptly. Any inquiries I had were immediately addressed and answered to my satisfaction. I was assisted by Larry via email from the company with any questions and he was prompt, courteous, and accurate with all of his answers and cleared up any misconceptions I may have had.I will have no problems ordering from this company again in the future. I feel fully supported by them. Thanks to everyone at Bikesdirect.com for a wonderful painless purchase and a beautiful bicycle.

annas211
5/3/17

Larry from Bikes Direct has been extremely helpful!

We would like to especially thank Larry for including the useful tool for my brakes replacement (didn't expect it and it was a pleasant surprise).

Super quick responses and shipping of the parts. Customer service at its best!

Suggesting Bikes Direct to anyone we know who is looking for a bicycle! :)

hugarh
4/28/17

I purchased a bike from bike direct, and the one that I ordered was not in Stock, and bike direct sent me another bike at a higher price than the one I wanted. At no cost to me what so ever. And the whole process took 8 days. Wow fast and great service.

johnl453
4/18/17

BD obviously has the best prices for high quality bikes. But you always worry about the service end. I got a great bike but the brakes were not working when I got it. I thought: "Uh-oh this where getting a good deal backfires". I was SO wrong. Larry at BD was incredibly kind, addressed my problem immediately and did it all very fast. Emails were always responded to within a day. He immediately took over, had me send back the brakes, contacted SRAM, got me a new set of brakes that were a better model, and sent them to my house. I installed them and have a kick-ass bike that would have cost double in a local shop. In addition to the best prices anywhere, BD has service to rival any local shop. You cannot go wrong!

thomasj81
4/15/17

I have now purchased 3 bikes (Le Champion CF, Night Train Ltd, Omni Strada Comp) and 2 wheel sets from Bikes Direct. The quality of their products is excellent, the value outstanding! I had a few issues with a recent order and contacted their service center via email; Larry responded very promptly and immediately set to resolve my issues. I was super impressed his courtesy and with the promptness, thoroughness, and speed in which he resolved my issues. 5 stars and 2 thumbs up for Bikes Direct, Larry, and the quality and ride off my 3 Motobecane bikes!

charless181
4/12/17

I bought a Gravity FSX 2.0 last month and my transaction was as smooth as it could be. Shipping was only 3 days and the bike was beautiful. Overall extremely satisfied.

jonathons21
4/7/17

I purchased gravity 29er 3 years ago and it has been a good bike, I have upgraded nearly everything. I broke rear derailluer last weekend, bikes direct does not have replacement derailleur in stock and states that it could be three months before they restock (if ever). My bike is now useless. bikes direct (never answers the phone) responed in an email stating i should try local bike shop. I tried local and nobody can get this deraillur hanger.
I tried purchasing a new bike as it was time to upgrade and I didn't have a bike to ride. I find the perfect bike 27.5 moto full suspension in my size and receive a paypal error message trying to check out stating I need to contact bikes direct. (again no answer) emailed and got a response, sorry your size sold out after hours.
I have been back and forth with chris and larry in emails but they would not help me with derailleur or bike purchase. I was told cost margins are tight and they cant sell me a similar bike at the same price as sold out bike I tried to purchase. My options were pick another bike or go to your local bike store. Costumer service was absolutely no help.

jamess529
4/7/17

I have purchased three bikes from Bikesdirect

No problem seamless transactions each time and of course super low prices

But after years of use I have needed some parts due to wear and tear

BD helped me esch time via simple email requested
Twice for a low price
And once for free

They are so helpful and nice
These guys love bikes

fordp5
4/1/17

The front rotor arrived warped and rather than send me a new one, they sent me a link on how to fix it. The derailleur and frame do not line up properly. The directions are outdated and refer to center pull brakes when the bikes have disk brakes. I am guessing they save on components by purchasing seconds that failed QA checks.

Note how most of the positive reviews sound like ads.

Response from mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Apologies for the mis-understanding. Bikesdirect customer service is one of the best in the industry. We always offer a replacement part if a customer has a part that is beyond normal adjustment / damaged. All bike parts due to shipping and handling over many thousands of miles from overseas to one's door may require adjustments. To see nearly Sixteen Thousand real customers who are happy with Bikesdirect service - check out our Bikesdirect Facebook page :) https://www.facebook.com/bikesdirectonline/
timc108
3/25/17

I ordered a Gravity Bullseye 27.5+ fat bike on Monday late afternoon. It shipped late on Tuesday and arrived yesterday (Friday). It was packed very mindfully and despite the box getting what looked like a bit of a rough ride from Fedex (ground shipping...the free option), the bike arrived without a scratch. It arrives mostly assembled. The only tools you need for finishing the assembly is a hex/allen wrench (sorry, don't remember size) for the handlebars/stem and front brake caliper (needed tightened), and a 15mm wrench to install the pedals. Everything works perfectly, shifting is smooth and swift for both front and rear, disk brakes work quite well, and the bike is gorgeous in Flash Green!

travisv8
3/8/17

The bike is well made and a great value. Happy with my purchase and would buy again. Also the seat broke on the bike after a few rides. I called up customer support and they had an upgraded seat mailed to me within a few hours. Great work and appreciate the help!

monjstuc
2/20/17

The quality of the product is the best.Service is very good.Delivery system is good.I really like this site.

rayb75
2/19/17

This is the first time I have ever posted a rating on anything I have purchased, period.

I picked up a 22 inch Lurch FS from BikesDirect.com, and I love it.

The brand was Motobecane, from what I can tell, it's a brand that they purchased and are selling consumer direct.

I can't say enough good things.....

A bit about myself. I am a bike industry veteran. In the late 90s, I spent 4 years running engineering for a big bike company in WI that starts with a T, since then I have always hated paying retail.

I am 54 YO, a 250 pound Clydesdale, and starting to slow down a bit.

I broke a helmet going over the bars on my XC full suspension bike last year, live in the PNW with great trail access, but getting too old to crash.

I love this fat bike! It allows me to ride both flat and technical trails and get a great workout. I can't run much anymore, hurts my feet, but this bike gets me on the trail with the dogs and get a great work out.

When I ride flat trails, I run 20 psi and roll about 2x running speed.

When I roll my old MTB trails, I run a bit less pressure, floats uphill nice, and downhill technical stuff get sucked up by those big 4.9 inch tires.

Honestly, I tried local bike shops, and bikes with 1/2 the spec were 2x the cost. At just over $1000, it was a risk I was willing to take.

It literally took me less than 5 minutes to go from box to trail, both front and rear derailleurs were tuned, tires even had pressure in them.

I have about 150 miles on the bike and absolutely love it.

The frame was welded and bike assembled in Taiwan, which was unexpected for the price; I expected China.

The fit and finish are great; very happy camper.

The 22 inch frame fits me great, initially I wanted the Minnesota 3.0, but they were sold out. I considered this a 2nd choice, but have absolutely no regrets.

I went chrome moly rather than aluminum because my first two MTBs in the mid80s were steel and I miss them....so much fun.

Nothing but good things to say. I would love to support my LBS, but not when it costs me 2x what this did.

michaelg293
1/30/17

BD gets a bad rep from others. But they are always quick to fix errors, and leave a great level of satisfaction.

I come from a road cyclng background- and a few years ago wanted to try MTB. But I could not justify spending $3k+ on a new bike from the big brands. BD helped give me a solid bike at a great price point that I used as stepping stone into the mtb world.

Now, my gf is interested in trail riding so I did the same for her. I always recommend BD to others!

I would recommend that you think about a hybrid bike first, as the tires are larger & the 26 inch wheels are a bit stronger. Also, you will be more comfortable riding on an upright position. If you like it, use it to loose weight while saving for a decent road bike.

By Jeffrey H.

No. the bike should come ready to ride.

By Dwight W.

Hi - the bike depends upon the type of riding you want to do and what you want out of riding. Do you want comfort? Durability? Speed? More upright riding position? Definitely want to look at bikes with larger tires as they would be more comfortable. The CycleCross type bikes are fast but have a bit larger tires for more durability and comfort than a skinny tire road bike. Check out the OmniStrada which have knobbier and larger tires than the regular cross bikes. They also have top tech tubeless compatible rims which you can easily convert with sealant and kit to being virtually flat free :) Check them out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

It depends on which bike you order. I also had to assemble and adjust the rr deraileur and break calipers. If you are not going to be home when it's delivered you can go to ups website and sign in advance. Ups will send you notifications before and when it arrives.

By william d.

I don't know of an municipality that requires you to register it.

By Alan F.

I think I paid about $55.00 or so. The bike turned out beautifully, it was a gift to my College student son and he loves it.

By Bobby D.

Shop costs vary...50 - $100 for assembly...... Yes, I have found my bike to be right on the numbers as far as weight....

By Chris P.

Here are some good assembly videos showing a mountain bike and a road bike. It's pretty easy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPLfsDliEk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlRjaJWyo4

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

"PERFORMANCE BIKES" ARE A GREAT CHOICE. FOR EXAMPLE, I BOUGHT A ROAD & GRAVEL 18 SPEED WITH A STURDY STEEL FRAME AND DISK BRAKES FROM THEM WHICH WAS $100 LESS (INCLUDING SHIPPING) THAN "BIKES DIRECT'S" ALUMINUM TUBING BIKES THAT WEIGH AS MUCH (OR MORE!). CHECK OUT THE BRITISH BRAND "CHARGE PLUG" (HA! AWFUL NAME) AT PERFORMANCE WHICH COMES WITH ALL THE TOP-OF-THE-LINE COMPONENTS PLUS STEEL FRAME AND WEIGHS JUST 24 POUNDS. ALSO I LIKE THIS BIKE BECAUSE WITH A SIMPLE $34 PART-CHANGE (ON THE REAR-WHEEL) IT'S GEARED FOR STEEP HILL-CLIMBS.

By INGRID P.

hi - if you are having trouble purchasing, please call us 9 to 5pm Eastern time, M-Fri 904-249-2453 to place an order :) Yes, we do take paypal and most major credit cards as well :)

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other customers.

BikesDirect?