Review of BikesDirect

bd4salesteam@aol.com
2017 Customer choice award

bens218
1/17/18

Bike arrived with small damage to the front brake. One quick email to BikesDirect with a few photos and explanation, and a new set of brake levers was shipped to me right away. Larry's quick response with apology and resolution for the problem is the kind of customer service that is lacking today in so many businesses. I will buy from them again!

codyw29
1/16/18

I messaged Larry about a problem with my bike and he took care of it. Awesome company that cares about the consumer!

jessen25
1/6/18

I need to give a serious shout out to BikesDirect.com. I discovered a small crack in the lower bar non-drive side in my frame. I reached out to them about it. Mind you this is bike I purchased from them in 2015, and it wasn't even their high dollar one, it was the X7, I think a $600-$700. Anyways I had to provide them some pics, then they confirmed the crack via images. I had to send the bike back and pay for return shipping (which I've found is standard for frame replacements).
Today the new frame arrived (11 days after I sent it out I think). They even threw in a laser engraved flask as well :-). I just have to say Larry @ Bikesdirect I applaud you and your business, you were excellent to deal with and I would not hesitate to deal with you again. This is how its done and I wish all companies were this good at customer service.

mkh4
12/30/17

Purchased Mercier New Galaxy Tour. Not a bad bike for the money, BUT...

-Even though the Web site claims NO SALES TAX COLLECTED 48 STATES throughout their Web site and product page, I was charged 6% sales tax. This wasn't obvious until I completed the purchase on PayPal and I was notified my credit card was being charged $21 more than I expected!

I went bak to BD Web site and in very small print it states NO sales tax collected 48 states* -- if you click on that link you are told sales tax collected fo FL and TX sales. VERY misleading and borderline deceitful since everywhere else they proclaim No Sales Tax Collected!

-Bike arrived on date promised. Spoke bent, rimes scraped, spokes/rims, derailleur and brakes all needed adjustment. Fortunately, a bike friend is pretty versed in this and helped out.

I estimate assembly and what adjustments were needed would cost at least $100 at a bike shop. And I still had a bent spoke!

I wish I had looked at a local bike shop first. I won't make the same mistake again.

scotth177
12/29/17

I received a bike with hidden damage. I shot an email to Bikes Direct and received a response from Larry in customer service the very next day. He proposed a solution that was very fair in my opinion and I'm a happy customer. It's really tough to give truly great customer service when you are dealing with a low margin, bulky product like a bike, and Bikes Direct did a good job in my case. I'm impressed with the product, price, and customer service.

paulh327
12/22/17

I've bought 5 bikes through these people and have had great luck. On the 5th bike, however, there were brake pad parts missing (just a nut and spacers). No big deal but a frustration since I wanted the bike put together for my niece. So I e-mailed Bikes Direct, told them of my sorrows (yeah, I'm a bit dramatic!) and prepared to be ignored. NOT SO! With uncanny speed, a fellow named Larry e-mailed me back and had the parts in the mail WITHIN MINUTES. Here's the thing: anyone can send you a bike for a good price. When that price is coupled with extraordinary customer service? Wow---NOW I KNOW WHY I LOVE BIKES DIRECT!

curtm19
12/21/17

I bought a bike for my son Christmas 2016. It was delivered on time and as promised, a bit heavy though for a $700 27.5 inch mountain bike. Be sure to ask for weight. The problem came after the first year when my son noticed the frame was cracked near the back shock. BD was good here, said frame was covered by warranty. We sent the frame back, but BD replaced incorrectly with a 29 inch frame. BD apologized, sent new 27.5 frame but just told me they would not reimburse us for the $70 headset the bike shop just charged me for - not part of frame warranty. Basically we sent the headset back as part of original frame, didnt know this and now they will not reimburse. We have spent about $250 to repair this broken frame. Bad service BD.

jerrym125
12/20/17

I had a brake issue on a bike and one e mail and a a couple hours later Larry responded with a note that replacements were on the way. I know things aren't always perfect, but when something is wrong and it's promptly made right that's great customer service. Thanks, Jerry M from Michigan.

johna755
12/14/17

I bought my Motobecane Bistro 8V a couple of years ago. I was apprehensive because the price seemed to low to be the real deal. Happily, it is the real deal and I'd buy another bike from them in a heartbeat. It was shipped quickly and was delivered undamaged. I recall contacting their support team and had no problems with them at all.

I'm pretty handy with tools, so setup and adjustment were easy. I'd say that the only downside is that assembly and adjustment. If you're uncomfortable doing that you should consider buying from your local bike shop or find a bike mechanic to do it for you.

stephend87
12/13/17

Bought a bike for my daughter for Christmas and when I came to put it together a few days ago I found the front wheel would not fit between the front forks as the locking bolts stopped it from dropping in. I rant customer service and after automatically being cut off around 6 times I eventually got into a queue which took around 20 minutes to reach the front of. The lady then very apologetically put me through to a department that may be able to help. This was also an automated answer line that eventually cut me off. I rang customer service once again and repeated the above steps and quite incredibly got through to the same person! They let me know that someone would pick up the bike on Wednesday (today) and they would sent me an email relating to this. No email - no collection. I'm left with a bike that doesn't work and £90 down. As you can imagine I'm not looking forward to Christmas Day

robertw408
12/11/17

I bought the white one 56cm. It arrived pretty quickly and set up was ok out of the box. I have another bike (cervelo r3) that I use for road biking. This is for my 2 kms commute to work. I had some bike gear from that bike to swap into this one as upgrading parts is always nice. I swapped out the pedals for some bigger ones for $10 (sunlite nylon sport) which give a much better support. I also put on some other wider tires than the ones that came with it. I found communication with the store through Larry was fine. I really like the bike and I use it also for riding around Central Park after work with my kid.

cliffordb29
12/3/17

This is the third set of bikes we have gotten from bikesdirect. The minor issues we have had were delt with by your staff quickly and efficiently. On our recent order Larry helped us diagnose and replace bent derallier hangers (replacements were already included in with the parts kit) and then sent us another set. Thanks!

stuartc58
11/19/17

I was a bit apprehensive about BikesDirect at first, but decided to take a leap of faith - and I'm very glad I did. I now have purchased two bikes from them, and will not hesitate to do so again. You will not find better value for your money anywhere else.

Plus, I had a service question and sent an email. I had an answer within an hour, with more tips and a link to a helpful video. Thanks, Larry! You made me even happier with my decision.

karens385
11/18/17

Larry was extremely helpful in getting us the bike parts we needed. We were worried there was so much damage to the bike that it was not repairable, but thanks to Larry helping us order the correct parts, we are very happy we can now repair it.

chrisp227
11/16/17

I have purchased several bikes from bikesdirect.com ranging from an inexpensive fixie/single speed to a high end titanium mountain bike. They have all been excellent values. Until recently I have had no problems and no reason to contact customer service. When I did have some questions and a problem getting a replacement part for a part that I broke, I contacted Larry at bd4servicecenter@aol.com and was blown away by his level of responsiveness. I got quick helpful answers to all my questions and he found me the part I needed right away. Im impressed and Id recommend bikesdirect.com to anyone.

davidc630
11/13/17

I've have my bike for almost two months now. The bike (Windsor - The Hour) was simple to put together and seems well made. Only the simple stuff (pedals, handlebars, etc.) needs to be assembled on the frame. All the geartrain components are already taken care of. The wheels have gone slightly out of true pretty quickly and the spokes could have been tighter in the first instance, but nothing a spoke tool can't fix.
I've had several roadbikes/single-speed bikes in carbon, steel, and aluminium, and bought this one since I moved to a new place and wasn't able to bring over my old ones. It's slightly heavier than my last steel frame single speed (a masi), but is a comfy ride and is nimble enough. Great for around the town and speeding past typical mountain/commuter bikes, but of course any proper geared alloy/carbon roadbike or a more aggressive track bike is going to be quicker. The components are also pretty solid considering what I paid for it.

There was an issue with a defective freewheel that constantly made noise in my initial delivery, but I emailed their customer service and their representative (Larry) was very helpful and quickly sent over a proper shimano replacement. I've recommended bikesdirect to friends who are looking for new, inexpensive and bikes.

ljs3
11/7/17
• Updated review

This is the end of my third season of riding this bike every chance that I get. I ride a few miles every day the weather permits in a small town plus occasional longer rides on public bike trails. I keep it in the garage when not in use. The bike is not left out in the weather so it still looks brand new.

As expected during this time I have needed to adjust the cables and the wheel spokes one time. The spokes will usually loosen some with use and cables will stretch. Anything that you might want to know about a bicycle or how to repair it can be found with and online search.

“Motobecane Bistro 8V”
11/7/17
• Previous review

I ordered this bike online a couple of months ago. Everything worked as it is suppose to work. Order confirmation, shipping confirmation, I Knew when it would be delivered and it did arrive with some damage to the box that it was in but there was no damage to the bike.

Unlike bikes from other companies that were shipped to me for assembly. The bike from BikesDirect was properly adjusted and mostly assembled at it should be so no further adjustments to bearings, brakes or spokes were necessary. I would call it easy to assemble even for a beginner.

I cannot tell you about customer support or help with assembly since there were no problems. The only question I would have is to do with the proper adjustment of the eight speed internal geared hub. Instructions for that are included with the paperwork packaged with the bike. Even though it was properly adjusted at the factory. Adjustment of cables is always needed once the bike has been used some. Parts will seat in and any new cable will stretch some.

The bike itself is great. It is an aluminum bike with a 56 frame size and it is a pleasure to ride. The bike weighs thirty pounds and I hung about three pounds of add-on items such as lights, tool bag with tools and a rear rack.

I have two other bikes. If I decide to buy yet another bike it will be from BikesDirect.

barryd32
11/3/17

The bikes are exactly as described. When I had a warranty issue, Larry made sure that I had my new frame in ONE WEEK.

budw6
11/3/17

I purchased a bike from bd and it was little different then advertised so contacted bd service and larry helped me on my questions was very fast and fair i will certainly use bd again the customer service was outstanding thanks Larry for your help. Having a blast on my new monster

krasia
10/31/17

Got a bike from them (mid level single speed) anti was making a clanking noise when pedaling. Larry from the team responded immediately to my e-mail, requested a video and correctly identified a faulty freewheel. He sent me a replacement which a local bike shop popped in and voila - no clanking! Larry is awesome! The bike, well - I can't expect much from a $289 - and this delivers!

amya100
10/23/17

Super Super happy with the service I have received from you guys. Especially Larry. He's been extremely kind and helpful every step of the way in helping me assemble my new bike safely. Definitely a return customer!!!

marcm70
10/20/17

Bought a new Motobecane fat bike and when it arrived, it had a bent rear derailleur hanger. I sent off an email with a photo of the hanger and they had another one sent to me within hours! Larry handled the issue with amazing speed and provided great customer service. Other companies could learn a lot about customer service from bikes direct. I'm happy with the bike as well and would buy from them again.

jasonr150
10/5/17

Besides the fact that i had originally ordered and paid for a bike that was sold out, Bikesdirect was very"direct" (pun intended) with their assistance to make sure i was compensated. Upon delivery, I was in contact with Larry and he was very helpful with any concern or question I had to setting it up. Larry is an A-class professional. 10/10 will recommend to a friend.

jasonr148
9/26/17

I'm very happy with the service Larry @ BikesDirect has provided after the purchase of my Big Wake 29" BMX. The freewheel was crackling and making an annoying grinding noise. I sent a few photos with a short video clip and Larry determined that the issue was likely the bearings. He shipped me a new wheel along with a return shipping label to ship the defective wheel back. This all happened very quickly all while Larry and BikesDirect were in the path of then cleaning up after a hurricane. I like the bike too, simple, light and cool.

johnr529
9/13/17

I couldn't be happier! My whole experience with BikesDirect was 100% positive! The bike is amazing, the price was amazing, the customer service was amazing. I'm really enjoying this bike it's all that they claimed and more! And light and responsive!
John R. Port Washington

I would recommend that you think about a hybrid bike first, as the tires are larger & the 26 inch wheels are a bit stronger. Also, you will be more comfortable riding on an upright position. If you like it, use it to loose weight while saving for a decent road bike.

By Jeffrey H.

No. the bike should come ready to ride.

By Dwight W.

Hi - the bike depends upon the type of riding you want to do and what you want out of riding. Do you want comfort? Durability? Speed? More upright riding position? Definitely want to look at bikes with larger tires as they would be more comfortable. The CycleCross type bikes are fast but have a bit larger tires for more durability and comfort than a skinny tire road bike. Check out the OmniStrada which have knobbier and larger tires than the regular cross bikes. They also have top tech tubeless compatible rims which you can easily convert with sealant and kit to being virtually flat free :) Check them out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm

By mike s. [BikesDirect Rep]

It depends on which bike you order. I also had to assemble and adjust the rr deraileur and break calipers. If you are not going to be home when it's delivered you can go to ups website and sign in advance. Ups will send you notifications before and when it arrives.

By william d.

I don't know of an municipality that requires you to register it.

By Alan F.

I think I paid about $55.00 or so. The bike turned out beautifully, it was a gift to my College student son and he loves it.

By Bobby D.

Shop costs vary...50 - $100 for assembly...... Yes, I have found my bike to be right on the numbers as far as weight....

By Chris P.

Here are some good assembly videos showing a mountain bike and a road bike. It's pretty easy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPLfsDliEk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlRjaJWyo4

By mike s. [BikesDirect Rep]

"PERFORMANCE BIKES" ARE A GREAT CHOICE. FOR EXAMPLE, I BOUGHT A ROAD & GRAVEL 18 SPEED WITH A STURDY STEEL FRAME AND DISK BRAKES FROM THEM WHICH WAS $100 LESS (INCLUDING SHIPPING) THAN "BIKES DIRECT'S" ALUMINUM TUBING BIKES THAT WEIGH AS MUCH (OR MORE!). CHECK OUT THE BRITISH BRAND "CHARGE PLUG" (HA! AWFUL NAME) AT PERFORMANCE WHICH COMES WITH ALL THE TOP-OF-THE-LINE COMPONENTS PLUS STEEL FRAME AND WEIGHS JUST 24 POUNDS. ALSO I LIKE THIS BIKE BECAUSE WITH A SIMPLE $34 PART-CHANGE (ON THE REAR-WHEEL) IT'S GEARED FOR STEEP HILL-CLIMBS.

By INGRID P.

hi - if you are having trouble purchasing, please call us 9 to 5pm Eastern time, M-Fri 904-249-2453 to place an order :) Yes, we do take paypal and most major credit cards as well :)

By mike s. [BikesDirect Rep]
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other customers.

29 Photos for BikesDirect