BikesDirect

2019 CUSTOMER CHOICE AWARD

BikesDirect has a consumer rating of 4.37 stars from 482 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. BikesDirect also ranks 1st among Bicycle sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 73.2%

• Amazing support that I have only previously seen when working with a local bike shop.
  • I just purchased my 4th road bike from Bikes Direct and would like to recommend them to all.
  • 2019 Customer Choice Winner

• Nowhere will you find a better deal or better customer service!
  • No way the front derailleur in top gear will clear the tire.
How would you rate BikesDirect?

“Killer Bike and Excellent Service”

Garnet L.
1/16/20

I preordered the Gravity Bullseye Monster 2020 and it arrived early with excellent packaging. I made an oafish mistake during assembly and Larry in customer service responded to my panicked email in under 2 hours. The bike is fantastic and has components beyond its price. I've owned and ridden three fat tire bikes now (Giant and Specialized) Cheers to a phenomenal deal, stellar customer service and the best way to spend $ (IMO). Bikes Direct for the win! Thanks again Larry!

“Total cluster F”

Larry j.
6/24/20

Ordered tires and found tires cheaper. Spoke to David at Tires direct he could not any correspondence even though i had their reply stating no problem with price match. I sent David the links to the price match and he said he will just send a return shipping. After 8 days i havent received tires They are to be delivered Thursday 9 days after ordering. I have UPS to return to sender! Terrible customer service.

customer service (99) bike shop (92) road bike (44) 3 days (15) customer support (13) disc brakes (13) front wheel (10) derailleur hanger (8) mountain bike (33) 30 minutes (5) quality bike (14) 5 stars (6)
garnetl
January 16th, 2020

Bikes Direct for the win! Thanks again Larry!
larryj278
June 24th, 2020
adrienb27
May 24th, 2020
Hello, it's great that I found your site. I can't imagine my life without cycling. Thanks to you I can enjoy it on my new bike with my parents.
steeno
July 29th, 2020
Not bad products, by the way. I like their products and can recommend to you. Try and look for yourself.
daylonm
July 23rd, 2020
My son son had been saving for a bike for almost a year. He found a bike on this site and I ordered it. On the first ride the frame cracked just below the water bottle screw, possible defect. I called ahead to get return approval which was a lengthy email process and sending in photos. The return was approved, I packed the bike and returned it through FedEx, bikesdirect claims they never received it. So my son has been without a bike and the company kept his money! Terrible thieves!
markh1620
February 4th, 2020
Just wanted to thank the folks at bikes direct and especially Larry for their excellent product and even better customer service. My bikes were delivered on time and in excellent condition, but with 1 slight flaw, front tire inner tube would not inflate. I contacted customer service via email and received a reply from Larry within 15 minutes! He apologized for inconvenience and informed me new tube on the way! Well done, definitely recommend bikes direct for your purchase.
dirkh42
April 10th, 2020
I ordered a bike from here at a good price. I don't know anything about bikes so the one thing I didn't want to do was have to assemble a bunch of parts. The website said the bike would be delivered "90% assembled." If I was going by these idiots 90%, I could have passed college sitting on my ass.

There are NO WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS that come with the bike. The company instead makes you watch generic videos on bike assembly recorded on an old IPhone by a bunch of random people in their garage. None of the videos are specific to the bike you order. It took me over two hours to assemble the "90% assembled" bike. The website says you can have a bike shop assemble it for $50-$100, which completely negates any savings you get by buying from this company.

I am very disappointed and these guys are running a scam. I'd never buy anything from them again.
katherineb394
April 25th, 2020
Thanks to your site I ordered a bicycle for my younger brother. He was so happy and that's the main point.
scotta298
January 1st, 2020
I recently purchased a Boris x5 fat bike. The bike arrived quickly, was packaged very well, assembly was fast and easy. The bike was unboxed, checked over, assembled, tuned and on the trail in just under 3 hours. Email communication was fast and friendly and all my questions were answered. My only complaint is that I waited so long to take advantage of such a great deal. I will be a returning customer for sure!
andyl334
February 9th, 2020
My bike came with a few parts missing.

I emailed their customer service with pictures, and they responded swiftly. Larry, the service representative, created the new shipping label for the missing parts was created within 15 minutes.

Even though accidents happen, I am very happy with how BikesDirect's customer support, and Larry in particular, handled it.

I would definitely do business with BikesDirect again, purely because I have the safe of mind knowing that they put the customer first.
branigans
January 18th, 2020
First time I've ordered a bike from BikesDirect. Bike was exactly what the website said. But the fork had a manufacturer defect and didn't fit the wheel. Larry at BikesDirect was awesome: responded within 12 hrs of my email, sent an upgraded fork that arrived two days later, and then immediately reimbursed the $43 it cost me to have the local bike shop change out the forks. That's the problem-free, customer-focused care you hope for! And because of that, BikesDirect will likely be our go-to for bikes for the family from now on.
carlosp276
June 23rd, 2020
Boutique bikes at Walmart prices. Nobody can beat bikes direct prices. They stand behind their products and great customer support. Thanks Larry
johnk2190
August 10th, 2020
I bought a paid alot of money for what I was told is a high performance bike. I spoke with a representative before my purchase to confirm what I was buying. Two weeks after purchasing my bike the crankset broke. I contacted bikes direct that day to report what had happened I have not received a message back. I have tried calling but I keep getting sent in circles to try and get this part replaced. It's been 3 weeks since I've tried to claim warranty on my purchase and it has not been resolved. The customer service is horrible. Go elsewhere.
dond288
July 7th, 2020
I ordered a Motobecane mountain bike. BikesDirect.com stated a delivery time and never delivered. I contacted BD and they kept spacing me out and putting me off. Once you give them your money they forget about you, and they will stall you out and never deliver? Bikes Direct is a big waste of time and a scam.
tjt20
August 22nd, 2020
We had a problem with the bike that we ordered for our son and my wife sent an email. Larry, from customer service, responded in minutes with instructions. We followed his instructions and again, Larry responded in minutes. I can not believe how fast and good the service was! It is rare to see this type of service anymore! Thanks Larry!

T. J. Tennent
stepheng877
June 18th, 2020
No number to call e-mailed many times for information, poor to no response. Was going to order bike. Glad I didn't I would be scewed if I had real problem makes Google look like customer service Ace's.if I could give zero I would
I would stay away
jasonm1469
September 3rd, 2020
So first bike came damaged by FedEx clearly... contacted bikesdirect and quick response the following morning we established the return and replacement. New bike came and easily assembled, tuned the front derailleur and brakes and can't say how pleased I am with it... would and will certainly buy another from bikesdirect.
dorothyl131
January 27th, 2020
I love that I, a 91 year old grandma can find just the bike my grandchildren want, and for a fantastic price.
And that the 3 bikes I have ordered over the past couple years arrive safely, in a timely manner and super well packaged. I love the follow up with your well qualified employees. I want to thank Larry for his prompt, response to a question I had and his follow up to make sure all was well. IT IS! Thank you, Larry.
mv124
August 17th, 2020
Unfortunately, you get what you pay for and they charge you for a return even if it is in the 30 day refund period. Pure rubbish
johnk1932
April 29th, 2020
I purchased three bicycles from Bikesdirect. They offer a great value for the money, but I was most particularly impressed with the after purchase customer service. The third bike had some shipping damage. Larry offered me a generous solution that involved a partial refund for cosmetic damage and immediate shipping of parts that had fallen out of the box as well as asking if that was okay with me. I was most particularly impressed with the speed of email responses and the speed of the refund processing and parts shipment. In a world of online ordering, these things sometimes take too long, but Bikesdirect is right on top of taking care of customers. Similarly my pre-purchase questions were answered promptly.

Tip for consumers: Check your bike sizing with some friends or local shops first. You don't want to have to repack and return the bike if it doesn't fit.

jert1
February 1st, 2020
So I've had my Gravity Bullseye fat bike a few weeks and absolutely love it. Fast shipping. Easy final assembly. My first time ordering from BikesDirect and my first fat bike. I did alot of research before choosing BD and happy I did. So after quite a few hours on a variety of terrain (mostly snow here in Vermont) it handles great and I have zero complaints. Today for instance I was on a trail packed full of ruts from hikers and snowmobiles. It easily rolled along with 8 psi in tires. Very sharp looking as well. Looks even better in person. If you're wondering about sizing, I went with an 18" frame and I'm 5'9". Fits fine for me. The standover is about 29". If you're hesitating, don't. Just buy one. Great, fun bike.
ryanr357
February 1st, 2020
We have ordered 3 bikes from bikes direct. Each one has been amazing and you cannot beat the price! Shipping is very fast. Even better is the after purchase support. We had a small issue from shipping and Larry was able to correct the issue very fast. He responded to us same day and correct the issues before the end of the evening. Amazing!
dwighta41
September 16th, 2019
I ordered a Gravity HD Trail 27.5. Assembly was super-easy and it looks like it costs way more than I paid. Bike shops in my area had many jobs in the queue ahead of mine so I asked my brother-in-law to do the adjustments for me (as I am new to biking) but it seems he didn't do a good job so I plan to wait on a bike shop as gear changes are not smooth, etc. I don't think it's the bike. I think it just needs proper adjustments. I will see and let you know with an updated review. So far the suspension fork is very responsive with good travel, and the hydraulic brakes are great! The bike is advertised as having 2.25 width tires but it came with 2.10. I informed BikesDirect and they offered me a $25 refund. Larry handled the issue and was very prompt and professional. My experience with BikesDirect has been positive and I would recommend them.
tomh1050
July 12th, 2020
Got a specialized here at a discounted price. Do ask for specials if they have any on older models.
alanc371
June 4th, 2020
I recently purchased an electric bike from BikesDirect. I installed the bike per what little instructions were provided. When I tried calling the Bikes Direct helpline, I received a "Message full" notice and was asked to call back later. I emailed Bikes Direct about the electronics issue I am having with the bike and he replied with instructions on how the peddle needs to be put on counter clockwise. Huh? I've already ridden the bike but cannot get the electronics to work. They have sent me a couple of emails saying the bike doesn't work they responded they don't open the boxes and don't know about the bike. The suggested that I take it to a local bike shop to determine what's wrong. Lastly, I am not a one time customer. This is the third bike I have purchased from BikesDirect. Fortunately, on the other two I installed without incident. If you need help you won't get it. STAY AWAY!

I would recommend that you think about a hybrid bike first, as the tires are larger & the 26 inch wheels are a bit stronger. Also, you will be more comfortable riding on an upright position. If you like it, use it to loose weight while saving for a decent road bike.

By Jeffrey H.
See more answers (4)

No. The bike should come ready to ride.

By Dwight W.
See more answers (4)

Hi - the bike depends upon the type of riding you want to do and what you want out of riding. Do you want comfort? Durability? Speed? More upright riding position? Definitely want to look at bikes with larger tires as they would be more comfortable. The CycleCross type bikes are fast but have a bit larger tires for more durability and comfort than a skinny tire road bike. Check out the OmniStrada which have knobbier and larger tires than the regular cross bikes. They also have top tech tubeless compatible rims which you can easily convert with sealant and kit to being virtually flat free :) Check them out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm

By mike s.,

Contact local bike shop. Or check Craigslist for a bike repair guy. 2nd its probably cheaper.

By Randy H.
See more answers (8)

It depends on which bike you order. I also had to assemble and adjust the rr deraileur and break calipers. If you are not going to be home when it's delivered you can go to ups website and sign in advance. Ups will send you notifications before and when it arrives.

By william d.
See more answers (7)

I don't know of an municipality that requires you to register it.

By Alan F.
See more answers (6)

Shop costs vary... 50 - $100 for assembly... Yes, I have found my bike to be right on the numbers as far as weight...

By Chris P.
See more answers (5)

Here are some good assembly videos showing a mountain bike and a road bike. It's pretty easy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPLfsDliEk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlRjaJWyo4

See more answers (5)

"PERFORMANCE BIKES" ARE A GREAT CHOICE. FOR EXAMPLE, I BOUGHT A ROAD & GRAVEL 18 SPEED WITH A STURDY STEEL FRAME AND DISK BRAKES FROM THEM WHICH WAS $100 LESS (INCLUDING SHIPPING) THAN "BIKES DIRECT'S" ALUMINUM TUBING BIKES THAT WEIGH AS MUCH (OR MORE!). CHECK OUT THE BRITISH BRAND "CHARGE PLUG" (HA! AWFUL NAME) AT PERFORMANCE WHICH COMES WITH ALL THE TOP-OF-THE-LINE COMPONENTS PLUS STEEL FRAME AND WEIGHS JUST 24 POUNDS. ALSO I LIKE THIS BIKE BECAUSE WITH A SIMPLE $34 PART-CHANGE (ON THE REAR-WHEEL) IT'S GEARED FOR STEEP HILL-CLIMBS.

By INGRID P.
See more answers (4)

Hi - if you are having trouble purchasing, please call us 9 to 5pm Eastern time, M-Fri 904-249-2453 to place an order :) Yes, we do take paypal and most major credit cards as well :)

See more answers (4)

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other customers.

Bikes Get FREE Shipping* Sitewide and Up to 60% Off New Bicycles with Full Factory warranties
Bikesdirect.com has been selling high quality bicycles on the internet for over 15 years.
Longer than many bike shops near you.

Bikesdirect sells thousands of bikes every week and takes pride in caring for our customers before and after the sale. We'll do what it takes to make customers happy as long as it's fair and reasonable.

Having issues with your bike? Please contact us at bd4servicecenter@aol.com or call 904-249-2453 Mon-Fri 9a-5p EST. Any customer that is not satisfied with the bike within 30 days can return it per policies.

We carry the widest selection of bicycles imaginable. Road Bikes in Titanium Carbon and Aluminum, Titanium or Aluminum Mountain Bikes, 27.5 and 29er MTBs. Full suspension and hardtails, Comfort, Hybrid, Endurance, Gravel Race/Grind, Cyclocross, Triathlon bikes. From entry level to professional level bikes equipped with Shimano or SRAM that could easily crush Leadville or the longest Tour de France route you can think of.

We believe in bringing you the best deals possible - some are almost unbelievable! Shop and Save Now
(FREE SHIPPING SiteWide *48 States)

Business History

Thank you for choosing Bikesdirect.com
Longer than many bike shops near you

Over 15 years ago, Dr. Mike Spratt, a college professor, decided to combine his interest in bicycles, computers, and the internet into bikesdirect. Since then, over 100,000 cyclists have chosen to save on high grade bikes by purchasing from us. The model of low-cost, high-volume, direct sales of bicycles via the web has worked well enough that many other sites have emulated bikesdirect. We are all very happy when cyclists get a great value of a bike that they can enjoy, no matter who they purchase from.

mikes244
mike s.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BikesDirect?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

4.4
Have a question about BikesDirect?