Review of BikesDirect

bd4salesteam@aol.com
2017 Customer choice award

michaelg1190
5/14/19

Have bought 5 bikes from $400 to 1300, none were damaged, all assembly went pretty smooth. I'm no expert and did get a cyclocross bike serviced at a local bike shop where the kid working there was impressed to where he was pissing off his boss. You should really research what you want/need and spend a little more to get more value and a better bike

grzegorzs4
4/24/19

A great customer service is apparent not when things go smoothly but when there is an issue...
I got my bike quickly and putting it together was easy. I found a problem with one of the hydraulic brakes though. I wrote ONE email and I got it sorted out in few minutes! Larry responded to me in less then a minute and had a replacement parts on the way that afternoon. No hassles, no issues.
I will buy from BikesDirect again.
I highly recommend them.
Greg.

chrisv157
4/18/19

I have bought many bikes at dealers before. This was the first time buying a bike online.

I was a little hesitant at first but this turned out to be a great buying experience.

The bike arrived in 3 days and took very little assembly.

I did have an issue with the brakes. Turned out that the brakes installed on the bike where known to have issues(Guide R Stam) I did send an email to Larry from bikes direct and 4 days later I had a set of Shimano brakes on my doorstep.

Fantastic service. This was my first bikes direct bike but definetly not my last.

pierod3
4/14/19

absolutely rock bottom price for exact same components..Remember its apples to apples!

Tried to assembly myself got stuck..chain too long derailler is complicated. Pay the $100 to local bike shop and start riding!! Fast shipping ordered Saturday came Thursday. Texas to NJ.. Owner of bike shop asked price and said he could not get no where near that! He is A Giant shop.

ajt18
4/8/19

I received my new bike in a short time, although I was in no big hurry. After I assembled it I found a bent part so immediately reached out to BD. Larry got my new part and a little gift within two days. Very pleased, and love my new bike. Thanks BD

alg119
4/7/19

My bike was damaged in shipment. The fork was bent where the axle joins the fork.

Larry, the BikeDirect guy, that helped me with my problem was on the job. Larry sent me a new, but better fork.

Larry helped me and I appreciated it.

Thank you!

briane162
4/7/19

I have bought four bikes over the last 5 years. Three from bikes direct. Their prices are great and I have loved the bikes. On my most recent order I had a problem with a tire and Larry in customer service really helped me out. It was great customer service and I definitely recommend them for your cycling needs!

marshalla22
3/29/19

Had an issue with a bike (shipping company's fault)...Larry at bikesdirect sent me a replacement part (again, it wasn't really their responsibility) within a couple days, and was extremely fast following up with me on all my emails, I will always recommend bikesdirect.com after this experience.

debbied176
3/10/19

We purchased two bicycles and had them sent to our son and daughter-in-law as Christmas gifts. We ordered very close to Christmas and they still were able to make it there for the holiday in plenty of time. Our kids loved the bikes and reported to us that they were easy to assemble, well made, sturdy and fun to ride. There was a small issue with a tube from one of the tires. We emailed the company and Larry immediately responded, promising to send a replacement tube - which he did that very day. Larry followed up again and offered his help at any time in the future. I can't recall ever having such prompt and complete service. We are very grateful to Larry and will purchase from this extraordinary company in the future, for sure. Thank you, Larry and Bikes Direct. What a great American company!

thomasm749
2/26/19

I purchased a Gravity HD hard tail. The bike arrived in about a week and it went together fine. I did have a shifting issue and a new part was sent right away. The bike rides great and I have had a few nice complements on how great it looks.

nelsonk27
2/11/19

Bought 2 bikes - first was no issues at all, second had some speed bumps but bikesdirect.com came through.

I bought a Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno about 10 years. I had absolutely no issues with that bike and I assembled it on my own. It was an amazing bike that I rode from the end of high school through college and graduate school. Unfortunately it was stolen so I needed a new bike this year.

I bought a Motobecane Gravel X2 two weeks ago. One came with a large dent on the frame. Larry offered a discount but I chose to return the bike under warranty. Second bike came with a bent fork end. Larry again came through and mailed a new fork and even helped reimburse the cost of installation at a local bike shop. Overall the process was frustrating at times but Larry from bikesdirect was always quick to respond, helpful, and resolved the problem. I would suggest them to have fork covers on all their bikes because it seems like a common source of damage in shipping based on many forums I read. I am very happy with my new bike and the value you get at this site is unparalleled.

nickp162
2/9/19

I've purchased two bikes from Bikesdirect.com. The first one purchased I've had for two years with no issues.

The second bike that I purchased arrived a few days ago and I had professionally assembled. Unfortunately, on my very first ride the back tire blew out exactly 1.02 miles in to the ride.

I took the bike back to my local bike shop who indicated that the inner tube was no good and they replaced for a nominal fee (~$22).

I immediately reached out to bikesdirect (Larry) to see what they could do here. Initially, Larry indicated that the tire was not properly inflated and that wasn't covered under their warranty. The bike store, of course, says the exact opposite.

Look, I don't know who is right or wrong here but Larry offered to send me another inner tube free of charge. Of course, we already paid to have the problem fixed and the tube does me no good now but it's at least good to have on hand in case another tire goes out.

I appreciate Larry's response, while not perfectly ideal (a $22 credit would have been nice) and since we've had no issues with the first bike in two years, I think a 4 star rating is warranted here.

I would consider purchasing another bike from bikesdirect.com

willa38
2/6/19

I work at a bicycle shop in niagara falls NY. I needed a derailleur hanger and the bicycle company referred me to your department and website . Larry helped me out and was quick to let me know what hanger I needed . It arrived today and was the wrong piece . After emailing back to Larry he quickly realized he had sent the wrong hanger and told me that bikes direct was sending the correct one at no extra cost ! Thanks to Larry and the rest of the crew at bikes direct for helping . I will order more products just from the excellent customer service you have

eddiet39
1/28/19

I ordered my bike from Bikes Direct and took it to the bike shop to have the wheels trued. The bike shop called me and said during their evaluation, they noticed the fork dropout was pinched and asked me to contact Bikes Direct to advise on a solution. I emailed Bikes Direct and within minutes I received a reply from a representative named Larry. Larry was very prompt, courteous and professional. He was very instrumental in helping to resolve my issue. My bike is now up and running and I'm very happy with my bike. This will not be the last bike I purchase from Bikes Direct. Thank you Larry at Bikes Direct for all your hard work! I'll be contacting you guys again when I'm ready to get another bike!

michaelm2021
1/26/19

I ordered and paid for my $2000. bike 10/25/2018 and now it is 01/26/2019 and I still haven't received it. In the check out section I didn't see anything indicating that it would take a third of a year or more to receive my bike. I thought it would take around 7 days.I guess they need my money to purchase the bike. It probably wouldn't be so bad if they gave me some feedback but I can't even contact them!! If I ever get it, i'm sure i'll like the bike. Frustrating as heck!

fredw137
1/17/19

I purchased two identical HD Gravity bikes. They came with lower end 2.1 tires. We have a bunch of sand on our trails here in Florida so I upgraded the tires to 2.3 WTB Breakouts. This is the biggest tire that can be placed on that frame. One bike is great with this tire. It performs very well. Fun to ride with the extra grip. The other bike has a bad tire rub on the back. The tire can't be centered on the frame. I remounted the 2.1 and noticed it is not centered either. I never noticed right out of the box because it never rubbed. Customer service was no help. So, long story short, my experience was 50 % good and 50% bad. Now I have one bike I really like and one I don't. They are for my wife and I so I make sure she has the one with the most grip.

gregs352
12/27/18

I purchased a Fantom29 on sale for $299 for my son for xmas. Most excellent bang for buck. I assembled today with a set of allen keys and a wrench. I am not handy, and it still took less than an hour and everything works perfectly: gears change, brakes don't bind, etc.

I'm super impressed, good job!

Tip for consumers: Ask for Larry, he's super nice and respsonsive.

earlj17
12/3/18

We had a derailleur hanger that needed replaced on our bike we purchased from them but as the bike was in another state, and we somehow misplaced the paperwork, were having trouble identifying which one we needed. After calling into BikesDirect and having them quickly offer to email us copies of the paperwork, she also suggested emailing Larry who could quickly identify and show us where to get a replacement. Within 15 minutes we had our answer and one on it's way. Not only were we able to purchase a great bike at an incredible price, we were able to get great service after the fact. Definitely recommend using them!

roberth1058
11/30/18

Had an issue with a Chain stay protector. It was damaged in packing, and it's really nothing more than tape. I asked if they could just mail me a new one. It's not a part they can source, so they refunded me the cost of the part. I'll get it fixed on my own, but I'll be happy to. I hate FedEx, but that's a separate issue and while there were issues getting the bike to my house, I know it's because FedEx doesn't care about anything.

keiths236
11/19/18

Larry responded to my email and helped by sending a new fork. His response was fast and professional and the new fork arrived in a couple days. After having ridden it now for a few months I absolutely love it and have sent the link to friends interested in a new bike.

daled67
11/17/18

Figured I'd give these guys a shot. Website looked flashy and kind of cool. Prices weren't too bad, but their packaging and their shipping company beat my item up pretty good. It's still usable, but a little better packing would be nice. I'll probably use them again, but just be aware that your box may be damaged.

freddym33
11/11/18

The old school looking website is kind of an eyesore for me at least, though I still gave them a shot and was pleasantly surprised at their efficiency and good attitude.

tomj287
10/18/18

Well developed website with good prices and variety of options. It is very informative and easy to manage. All purchases were satisfactory delivered and met my expectations.

edwardc225
10/17/18

I recently purchased a MOTOBECANE Le Champion Ti from BikesDirect. It is a fantastic bike. Great frame and great components. The customer support from LARRY has been fabulous. It is my third bike from BikesDirect and won't be my last.

zs22
9/21/18

Purchased a Motobecane Strada Ltd 1.0 from Bikes Direct in late July 2018. Bikes Direct customer service was very helpful answering my numerous questions before the purchase. Bike arrived within a week. Easily assembled. Rear derailleur shifted perfectly. Had to tweak the front derailleur a bit, but this was nothing out of the ordinary. As a bike owner we must know how to do these simple tweaks or we're running to the LBS all the time and wasting money. Already have 431 miles on my new bike and I really enjoy riding it.

I now look forward to going on a bike ride and getting exercise instead of worrying about a pinch flat due to a small rock or hairline crack in the road.

I highly recommend Bikes Direct.

I would recommend that you think about a hybrid bike first, as the tires are larger & the 26 inch wheels are a bit stronger. Also, you will be more comfortable riding on an upright position. If you like it, use it to loose weight while saving for a decent road bike.

By Jeffrey H.

No. the bike should come ready to ride.

By Dwight W.

Hi - the bike depends upon the type of riding you want to do and what you want out of riding. Do you want comfort? Durability? Speed? More upright riding position? Definitely want to look at bikes with larger tires as they would be more comfortable. The CycleCross type bikes are fast but have a bit larger tires for more durability and comfort than a skinny tire road bike. Check out the OmniStrada which have knobbier and larger tires than the regular cross bikes. They also have top tech tubeless compatible rims which you can easily convert with sealant and kit to being virtually flat free :) Check them out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

It depends on which bike you order. I also had to assemble and adjust the rr deraileur and break calipers. If you are not going to be home when it's delivered you can go to ups website and sign in advance. Ups will send you notifications before and when it arrives.

By william d.

I don't know of an municipality that requires you to register it.

By Alan F.

I think I paid about $55.00 or so. The bike turned out beautifully, it was a gift to my College student son and he loves it.

By Bobby D.

Shop costs vary...50 - $100 for assembly...... Yes, I have found my bike to be right on the numbers as far as weight....

By Chris P.

Here are some good assembly videos showing a mountain bike and a road bike. It's pretty easy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPLfsDliEk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlRjaJWyo4

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

"PERFORMANCE BIKES" ARE A GREAT CHOICE. FOR EXAMPLE, I BOUGHT A ROAD & GRAVEL 18 SPEED WITH A STURDY STEEL FRAME AND DISK BRAKES FROM THEM WHICH WAS $100 LESS (INCLUDING SHIPPING) THAN "BIKES DIRECT'S" ALUMINUM TUBING BIKES THAT WEIGH AS MUCH (OR MORE!). CHECK OUT THE BRITISH BRAND "CHARGE PLUG" (HA! AWFUL NAME) AT PERFORMANCE WHICH COMES WITH ALL THE TOP-OF-THE-LINE COMPONENTS PLUS STEEL FRAME AND WEIGHS JUST 24 POUNDS. ALSO I LIKE THIS BIKE BECAUSE WITH A SIMPLE $34 PART-CHANGE (ON THE REAR-WHEEL) IT'S GEARED FOR STEEP HILL-CLIMBS.

By INGRID P.

hi - if you are having trouble purchasing, please call us 9 to 5pm Eastern time, M-Fri 904-249-2453 to place an order :) Yes, we do take paypal and most major credit cards as well :)

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other customers.

BikesDirect?