Review of BikesDirect

bd4salesteam@aol.com
2017 Customer choice award

benh183
7/25/18

Love my Lurch fat bike, wanted to get some different end caps to run a carbon fork. Emailed bikesdirect and Larry took care of it with great communication and quick service. Zero complaints on my bikesdirect experience!

charliet37
7/22/18

We had a great experience with BikesDirect. We bought two Windsor Tourists and used them to cycle down the Pacific coast. They were very reasonably priced, pretty easy to assemble and came super fast. The bikes have been very reliable and have made it the whole trip without any issues relevant to their construction.
With regards to an accidental over payment issue they were very understanding in their response and refunded the money without hassle. I would use them again.

michaela583
7/5/18

- optimized selection of components to deliver a solid cost effective bike.

- responsive helpful staff helped me before i purchased and afterwards.

willc89
7/3/18

Just purchased a night train fat bike. This would be my 5th bike through bikes direct. Never had a bad experience, bikes direct has always supported the before and after sale experience. Bikes are easy to assemble and need little tuning to ride out of the box. I had spoken to Larry via email, and took care of my request instantly.

I feel as though I may be buying more bikes in the future.

Always great to do business with!

jonathanm219
6/23/18

I've received two bikes now from BD and both experiences were great. The Gravity Avenue FXD is an excellent bike that has performed beyond expectations thus far. Putting the bike together was incredibly easy. The customer service staff was highly responsive and I had both bikes within the same week of purchase with email and tracking in my inbox same day. The CS manager even offered a discount for my replacement bike after the first was stolen in the city. They made me more comfortable in a situation that was very upsetting. I will not purchase future bikes any other way from now on and highly recommend using BikesDirect.com

brianl287
6/17/18

Ordered this bike after reading about it. Received email with tracking number the next day. Bike arrived the following day. Unboxed and assembled pretty easily after watching a few videos on youtube. Took for test ride and it is super smooth. I am 5'10 and ordered a 15.5 inch and it fits perfectly. I am going to order another bike from this site for my wife. I would definitely recommend this site to anyone looking for a good bike / good price.

christ325
6/15/18

I have bought three bicycles from bikes direct and have been very pleased with the quality and value for the absolute lowest prices. I had an issue with a damaged fork dropout upon shipping and was immediately refunded the cost of the part. I had an issue with the back wheel with the same bike and Larry totally hooked me up with not one but two brand new vuelta pro rims which arrived in the mail 2-3 days after I emailed him. Outstanding! Thanks guys, Im sure I will be buying bikes from you for the rest of my life!

williamm712
6/15/18

Ordered the bike on a Sunday evening and it arrived the following Tuesday. Found an issue after assembly and sent them an email Tuesday evening. Received an email reply Wednesday morning and the replacement parts arrived Friday. The bike is back together and working perfectly. IMO, Bikes Direct goes above and beyond to satisfy their customers. Buy with confidence knowing that they will take care of you and your purchase.

bobn89
6/14/18

I purchased a hybrid from BikesDirect for my wife's birthday. It showed up well packaged, except it was missing a front brake pad spacer washer. I reached out to customer service via email, not knowing what to expect. Larry took care of it right away & shipped out the missing part. Their prices are the best, and now I can say so is there customer service!

curtish45
6/8/18

I bought a Dawes city eclipse from bikes direct about a year ago and it is the best bicycle I ever had. It is a hybrid comfort bike and has all the best components on it worth well over the 250.00 I bought it for.
I have compared bikes in the stores and they don't come close and cost twice as much.
Not only was the bike a great deal but there customer service is top notch and so are the parts.
I delt with Larry in customer sevice and he was very knowledgeable, polite, and got me my parts FAST! The parts I recieved were a terrific value for the money and top quality. I can not say enough good things about the quality and value of bikes direct and Larry at customer service.
This is the only bike I ever owned were when I come out of a store or somewhere occasionally someone will be looking at my bike and ask me were I got it.

joyc85
6/5/18

I got two bike from them and they sent me two defective bike. The first bike the Patel was stripped the day it came and my second bike they cut the break line and the break was to big for the bike I contacted Larry the first day and this guy going to tell me to take the bike to the shop and get it fix I spent 1000 dollars online and I will never do it again just to let people no if you live in New Haven CT you can get your BMX bike from Tony bike's in Milford CT

kevinh370
5/19/18

After 2 years of year round riding single track in all levels of difficulties, I broke my frame. Contacted BD about frame warranty. Took a few pictures, sent in my frame and Larry at BD sent out a new frame. Different color came back and $100 for shipping back and forth of frame. Not a big deal to me. 2 weeks downtime. 2nd bike from them and will buy another. Larry even thew in a whiskey flask, cause who doesn't need a whisky flask for riding!

billd155
5/2/18

I just purchased a road bicycle from BikesDirect and after unpacking it, I noticed that one of the dropouts on the fork was damaged (bent). I took a couple pictures and emailed them to BikesDirect. I received a reply from Larry @ BikesDirect the next business day, saying that they are express mailing me a new fork, to take my new bike to a local bike shop to have them install it, and BikesDirect will reimburse me for it! Larry (and the whole gang) at BikesDirect really provide over-the-top customer service. -- By the way, my new BikesDirect bicycle is replacing another BikesDirect bicycle (a hybrid) I bought from them seven years ago.

Way to go, Larry, and thanks again for all your help!
Bill D.

dang190
4/24/18

I took my new bike out on first ride along c @ o canal. Nice and flat easy. I went 9.76 miles when derailer snaps lose. Broke. Walked it back to car and bike shop. Bike shop examined part and stated clearly it was a defective part. Sent pics of parts and repair invoice. I contacted Larry at bikes direct and was informed they dont sell defective parts and would not help with $59 charge.....sad statement for a company not interested in helping customers with defective bikes!

youngh22
4/23/18

Service rep. Larry is the great man to take care of my needs.
He responded with urgency and care. He did even go extra miles for my need.
I really appreciate your customer care and I will come back to shop!!!!!

craigb115
3/29/18

Bike arrived and was a little harder to assemble than thought, but I jan experienced help. Bike had a scratch in it. Contacted Larry in customer service and he solved the issue and sent me a component list I requested immediately. Larry was great.

lisar302
3/27/18

My husband ordered this bike. It arrived with some damages. He went back in forth between sending back or not. They were very patient with him and he ended up keeping it and they compensated him for the damages. Very helpful.
Lisa

kapilr1
3/15/18

I got a bike and a professional tried tuning up, but he could not because there is a faulty component. Customer support as usual sent the videos to fix it, which I tried and after spending 4 hours, I failed and complained. Customer support now ask to send it back if I like and I have to pay for the shipping fee. You might get lucky for me, its a pain. I have already spent money on the professional tuneup, and now I have to pay $100 for shipping it back...that's not called a good customer service.

marcellos
2/27/18

Very happy with their customer service! I highly recommend BikesDirect. I have purchased 5 bikes from them. On my last one, a HAL-e, I lost the thru axle end frame nut on the trail (it's rare to loose). I contacted them, and immediately Larry email with an answer, this part had to be order from the manufacture, he kept me informed as to when it would be delivered. Would definitely continue to purchase my bikes from them.

sergeyl10
2/24/18

Very happy with my new bike! Customer support (Larry) did great job to resolve minor issue. Would definitely be back for another bike if i need one.

ericj92
2/21/18

I would definitely recommend bikes direct to my family and friends. I purchased a men's Motobecane Cafe Latte from bikes direct. My bike arrived 4 days later. I did have an issue with assembling my front braking system and Larry with customer service helped me swiftly. I definitely will be purchasing from bikes direct again. I love how my bike rides.

brandont25
2/14/18

I bought a fat bike wheelset from BikesDirect for a fat bike build. The price was the best around for what I was looking for compared to other places. The wheels are great.

3 months later (took a while to get all the parts from different places) as I'm building my bike, I noticed there was a spacer missing on the front hub. I'm not sure if it was missing from the beginning or if I had lost it. I contacted BikesDirect and within 5 minutes (5 minutes!) I got an email back from Larry with a tracking number for a replacement spacer. Fastest customer service I have had from any company. Highly recommended.

arealc
2/11/18

I cant say enough bad things about Bikes Direct. When the bike arrived, there not one, but two components that were bad. Rather than apologize and offer replacements, I was pointed to videos on how to repair these parts. It took a month of fighting before they finally replaced the bent components. Recently, I had a bike shop and an independent repair professional try to remove one of the tires, as I could not (and Im fairly experienced with this). One pro couldnt get if off at all. The shop said the fit was ridiculously tight, and it was absurd to expect a consumer to be able to do this on the trail. This is a safety hazard as you could be miles out a trail with a flat. Larry from Bikes Direct response was that he mounted 100s of these. Good for you Larry, but two professional bike people who I took these tires to had difficulties. One could not remove it without damaging the tire. Larry offered me a tire at cost, but the deal he offered me was exactly the same as I could buy it brand new on the web. Since this fiasco, I purchased a second bike from another online retailer and it was much better and customer service was much better. However, if you like to argue, fight, and fix a brand new bike, Bikes Direct is for you.

ianb117
1/30/18

Ordered a motobecane 350ds had issue with left crank arm the factory threaded the arm wrong. I spoke with Larry and he immediately responded and had a new crank arm shipped out to me.I will order from bikes direct from now on. Great company and great people that have knowledge on bikes and parts

mk187
1/24/18

I'm handy. BD.com is great with follow up service. Larry, he #1! . . . #11? . . . no numba1

Be Kusssh
Chandler, AZ!

I would recommend that you think about a hybrid bike first, as the tires are larger & the 26 inch wheels are a bit stronger. Also, you will be more comfortable riding on an upright position. If you like it, use it to loose weight while saving for a decent road bike.

By Jeffrey H.

No. the bike should come ready to ride.

By Dwight W.

Hi - the bike depends upon the type of riding you want to do and what you want out of riding. Do you want comfort? Durability? Speed? More upright riding position? Definitely want to look at bikes with larger tires as they would be more comfortable. The CycleCross type bikes are fast but have a bit larger tires for more durability and comfort than a skinny tire road bike. Check out the OmniStrada which have knobbier and larger tires than the regular cross bikes. They also have top tech tubeless compatible rims which you can easily convert with sealant and kit to being virtually flat free :) Check them out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

It depends on which bike you order. I also had to assemble and adjust the rr deraileur and break calipers. If you are not going to be home when it's delivered you can go to ups website and sign in advance. Ups will send you notifications before and when it arrives.

By william d.

I don't know of an municipality that requires you to register it.

By Alan F.

I think I paid about $55.00 or so. The bike turned out beautifully, it was a gift to my College student son and he loves it.

By Bobby D.

Shop costs vary...50 - $100 for assembly...... Yes, I have found my bike to be right on the numbers as far as weight....

By Chris P.

Here are some good assembly videos showing a mountain bike and a road bike. It's pretty easy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPLfsDliEk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlRjaJWyo4

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

"PERFORMANCE BIKES" ARE A GREAT CHOICE. FOR EXAMPLE, I BOUGHT A ROAD & GRAVEL 18 SPEED WITH A STURDY STEEL FRAME AND DISK BRAKES FROM THEM WHICH WAS $100 LESS (INCLUDING SHIPPING) THAN "BIKES DIRECT'S" ALUMINUM TUBING BIKES THAT WEIGH AS MUCH (OR MORE!). CHECK OUT THE BRITISH BRAND "CHARGE PLUG" (HA! AWFUL NAME) AT PERFORMANCE WHICH COMES WITH ALL THE TOP-OF-THE-LINE COMPONENTS PLUS STEEL FRAME AND WEIGHS JUST 24 POUNDS. ALSO I LIKE THIS BIKE BECAUSE WITH A SIMPLE $34 PART-CHANGE (ON THE REAR-WHEEL) IT'S GEARED FOR STEEP HILL-CLIMBS.

By INGRID P.

hi - if you are having trouble purchasing, please call us 9 to 5pm Eastern time, M-Fri 904-249-2453 to place an order :) Yes, we do take paypal and most major credit cards as well :)

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other customers.

BikesDirect?