Review of BikesDirect

bd4salesteam@aol.com
2017 Customer choice award

zs22
9/21/18

Purchased a Motobecane Strada Ltd 1.0 from Bikes Direct in late July 2018. Bikes Direct customer service was very helpful answering my numerous questions before the purchase. Bike arrived within a week. Easily assembled. Rear derailleur shifted perfectly. Had to tweak the front derailleur a bit, but this was nothing out of the ordinary. As a bike owner we must know how to do these simple tweaks or we're running to the LBS all the time and wasting money. Already have 431 miles on my new bike and I really enjoy riding it.

I now look forward to going on a bike ride and getting exercise instead of worrying about a pinch flat due to a small rock or hairline crack in the road.

I highly recommend Bikes Direct.

jayc231
9/21/18

I purchased two bikes from Bikesdirect and one of the bikes came with a defective read brake caliper. I contacted the manufacturing company Tektro which manufactures the TRP line of brakes. Their customer service sucks. So I reached back out to Larry @ Bikesdirect and in 5 minutes I received a notification that a new caliper was on the way, and a prepaid label for a return of the defective part was shipped. I would buy from Bikesdirect again in a heartbeat, and I hope I never have to deal with Tektor again in my lifetime. Thanks Larry for the awesome customer service.

moyr
9/20/18

Ordered a cycling road bike a Motobecane Grand Premio. Paid over $700 dlls for the bike. Bike arrived within the time frame specified. As I was assembling my bike I could not get the front wheel on due to fork drop out being bent from drop damage. I so wanted to ride so i pryed the fork drop in slits enough to drop front wheel in, and i rode. as i rode and have been riding now just past my 400th mile it is in the back of my head that the drop in slits could crack due the dropping and the prying apart. So I contacted Larry and sent him pics of damage and low and behold, he sent me out new fork assembly. I could not be happier, Larry your truly what customer service is all about. I highly recommend BikesDirect.com to anyone looking to save but still get a great quality bike. In the future i will look to BikeDirect.com for any future bike purchases....thanks Larry

davidt610
9/19/18

Ok so bikesdirect make such a big to do about 60% off and a "bazzilion" super satisfied customers. A couple months ago I purchased 2 bike at Costco, Northrock XC00, 7 speed fat tire bikes. LOVE this bike, $300.00 a piece, all Shimano components, disc brakes, excellent bike, very solid, super smooth riding, But the bike was a bit tall for my wife the center bar/inseam was just a pinch too high so I returned 1 bike. This began a month long search all over the Bay Area California we finally found a very nice bike at bikesdirect a Motobecane Natasha fat tire all Shimano components $800.00 not too bad a price. The bike took weeks to get here and i was anxious but ok with the timing, tracking info was included Fedx had some issues but that's a whole different story. The box arrived damaged obviously that's concerning. Turns out the derailer is badly bent and of coures there's a disclaimer that states the derailer is not covered! And no kickstand, Bikesdirect customer service sucks! But much more than that I'm just very upset with myself for not doing a better job of shopping. And I do believe that customer service in part of the purchase. Lastly my Northrock XC00 Costco bike is definitely the better bike! And Costco always offers excellent customer service! Just Sayin.

allanj31
9/11/18

Purchased a mountain bike from them a couple weeks ago. It's actually the 2nd bike I've purchased from them in the past 5yrs. First time around no issues, so I ordered this most recent bike. First ride, flat tire. Not BD's fault. Pulled tire to replace tube and found rim tape not installed properly. Fixed that, installed tube, went for a ride and didn't get five feet before tube blew. I should've been more thorough the first time around. Turns out there was a bit of machining slag in one of the holes for the spokes. Again not their fault, but two flats so quickly pushed me to deciding to go tubeless, the bike came equipped with tubeless capable rims. I purchased the tires/tape/sealant/valve stems and converted the front wheel. Worked great, no leaks. Next I attempted the rear wheel and it's leaking from the rim joint to the point it won't hold pressure. Multiple emails back and forth and BD's suggestion of bandaid fixes and then wanting to send additional pictures and videos and I'm no closer to a resolution. I've tried their solutions, didn't work. I've already spent too much time and money on a simple problem. I've told them I just want to either have the wheel replaced or just return the bike....it's not worth the frustration, but they just want me to send more pictures and video. Not sure how this will end up, but from my experience I suggest you don't expect a quick resolution from them if there's a problem...expect to be run through the ringer. If I don't get satisfaction soon my next step is to dispute the charge, which hopefully will get their attention. Even that may not do any good, but hopefully I'll get this worked out. .

cindas5
9/10/18

We needed a frame part to a Bike Direct Bicycle and Larry was the hero of the hour. After explain what part I needed,and a very helpful Larry we got the part to make our and Bike Directs customer happy.
Thank you.

zacharyb68
8/31/18

I misplaced a part for a bike I previously purchased from bikesdirect and was not sure how I was going to replace it. I sent an email and Larry from bikesdirect immediately let me know the name of the part and had a new one shipped to me extremely quickly. When it arrived a couple days later there was even a complimentary gift included. Thanks again Larry!

chadb112
8/23/18

I have been enjoying my 07' giant raineer hardtail as my only bike since new and its still in great shape. But as i approach 50 years in age, i jeed more smootheness in my moves. Bike suspension that is. I fell in love with a fuji reveal for a special price of 900 bucks and in no time it was on my doorstep. Very quick shipping! I was dissapointed about the lack of i nstructions to help with assembly, as the bracket for the front disc brake was very complicated and not easy to figure out. Im no pro biker, but not a du. My either, doing nearly all of my home repairs and auto as well, so i am a handy guy with knowledge of my tools. This just stumped me and when i went online for web help it was a complicated mess to try to find any guideance. This is my biggest complaint. I gave 5 star feedback, cause its worth it. Defin ately . I tried to call but no luck and emailed twice with no luck, not until a third time. Kinda weird but im doing it now, a few months later. The bike needs a deraileur adjust from the factory and also the rear brakes lever is mushy and soft so a bike shop needs to do some work. I just wish it was ride ready and didnt need this done. A local bime shop quoted near 100 bucks, possib le around 70.00 for this to be done. Just a bummer to pay more thats all. I live on the edge of the owhhee mountains and desert, so terrain is rough, first insallin g new puncture proof tubes with heavy liners and slime. Its the only way here. I have a good practice track to work out on and cant wait to get it to the big moun twins 3 hours away.i recommend this site for your bike purchase, and they helped eventually. Shipping was fast, promptly and it required a signiture so i knew the bike would kot be left on the porch unattended. The prices are great, so this has earned them a 5 str feedback, as i definately feel that is what i recieved! Chad from idaho

donaldm242
8/23/18

This bike was the second bought from bikesdirect.com Since they are continually tearing up the streets which is hard on my lighter bikes. This Gravity fat bike just rolls over potholes and such. The only changes to this bike made were cables, front and rear derailure, 9 speed grip shifter and recon cassette, hydraulic brakes, handle bars and stem, seat post and seat, and the best one Veerubber 3.5 speedster tires. Also DT Swiss comp spokes and brass nipples. Adapting my single wheel trailer was a little work. This is now an excellent town bike and grocery getter

dans449
8/1/18

Just got my bike. The team at BikesDirect was great, responsive. I initially worked with Chris, then Larry. They handle my support issue within a few hours. Great company, would use again.

jacka159
8/1/18

Bought my Motobecane last Nov and even though I have been upgrading (SPD pedals, Carbon Handelbar, dropper) it is a fabulous value and Bike. Now for their service. Larry is the man. He knows exactly what I need when I contact their Service dept. Knowledgeable, courteous and very fast response. Service is the key to a strong reputable company and Larry is a prime example of that.

benh183
7/25/18

Love my Lurch fat bike, wanted to get some different end caps to run a carbon fork. Emailed bikesdirect and Larry took care of it with great communication and quick service. Zero complaints on my bikesdirect experience!

charliet37
7/22/18

We had a great experience with BikesDirect. We bought two Windsor Tourists and used them to cycle down the Pacific coast. They were very reasonably priced, pretty easy to assemble and came super fast. The bikes have been very reliable and have made it the whole trip without any issues relevant to their construction.
With regards to an accidental over payment issue they were very understanding in their response and refunded the money without hassle. I would use them again.

michaela583
7/5/18

- optimized selection of components to deliver a solid cost effective bike.

- responsive helpful staff helped me before i purchased and afterwards.

willc89
7/3/18

Just purchased a night train fat bike. This would be my 5th bike through bikes direct. Never had a bad experience, bikes direct has always supported the before and after sale experience. Bikes are easy to assemble and need little tuning to ride out of the box. I had spoken to Larry via email, and took care of my request instantly.

I feel as though I may be buying more bikes in the future.

Always great to do business with!

jonathanm219
6/23/18

I've received two bikes now from BD and both experiences were great. The Gravity Avenue FXD is an excellent bike that has performed beyond expectations thus far. Putting the bike together was incredibly easy. The customer service staff was highly responsive and I had both bikes within the same week of purchase with email and tracking in my inbox same day. The CS manager even offered a discount for my replacement bike after the first was stolen in the city. They made me more comfortable in a situation that was very upsetting. I will not purchase future bikes any other way from now on and highly recommend using BikesDirect.com

brianl287
6/17/18

Ordered this bike after reading about it. Received email with tracking number the next day. Bike arrived the following day. Unboxed and assembled pretty easily after watching a few videos on youtube. Took for test ride and it is super smooth. I am 5'10 and ordered a 15.5 inch and it fits perfectly. I am going to order another bike from this site for my wife. I would definitely recommend this site to anyone looking for a good bike / good price.

christ325
6/15/18

I have bought three bicycles from bikes direct and have been very pleased with the quality and value for the absolute lowest prices. I had an issue with a damaged fork dropout upon shipping and was immediately refunded the cost of the part. I had an issue with the back wheel with the same bike and Larry totally hooked me up with not one but two brand new vuelta pro rims which arrived in the mail 2-3 days after I emailed him. Outstanding! Thanks guys, Im sure I will be buying bikes from you for the rest of my life!

williamm712
6/15/18

Ordered the bike on a Sunday evening and it arrived the following Tuesday. Found an issue after assembly and sent them an email Tuesday evening. Received an email reply Wednesday morning and the replacement parts arrived Friday. The bike is back together and working perfectly. IMO, Bikes Direct goes above and beyond to satisfy their customers. Buy with confidence knowing that they will take care of you and your purchase.

bobn89
6/14/18

I purchased a hybrid from BikesDirect for my wife's birthday. It showed up well packaged, except it was missing a front brake pad spacer washer. I reached out to customer service via email, not knowing what to expect. Larry took care of it right away & shipped out the missing part. Their prices are the best, and now I can say so is there customer service!

curtish45
6/8/18

I bought a Dawes city eclipse from bikes direct about a year ago and it is the best bicycle I ever had. It is a hybrid comfort bike and has all the best components on it worth well over the 250.00 I bought it for.
I have compared bikes in the stores and they don't come close and cost twice as much.
Not only was the bike a great deal but there customer service is top notch and so are the parts.
I delt with Larry in customer sevice and he was very knowledgeable, polite, and got me my parts FAST! The parts I recieved were a terrific value for the money and top quality. I can not say enough good things about the quality and value of bikes direct and Larry at customer service.
This is the only bike I ever owned were when I come out of a store or somewhere occasionally someone will be looking at my bike and ask me were I got it.

joyc85
6/5/18

I got two bike from them and they sent me two defective bike. The first bike the Patel was stripped the day it came and my second bike they cut the break line and the break was to big for the bike I contacted Larry the first day and this guy going to tell me to take the bike to the shop and get it fix I spent 1000 dollars online and I will never do it again just to let people no if you live in New Haven CT you can get your BMX bike from Tony bike's in Milford CT

kevinh370
5/19/18

After 2 years of year round riding single track in all levels of difficulties, I broke my frame. Contacted BD about frame warranty. Took a few pictures, sent in my frame and Larry at BD sent out a new frame. Different color came back and $100 for shipping back and forth of frame. Not a big deal to me. 2 weeks downtime. 2nd bike from them and will buy another. Larry even thew in a whiskey flask, cause who doesn't need a whisky flask for riding!

billd155
5/2/18

I just purchased a road bicycle from BikesDirect and after unpacking it, I noticed that one of the dropouts on the fork was damaged (bent). I took a couple pictures and emailed them to BikesDirect. I received a reply from Larry @ BikesDirect the next business day, saying that they are express mailing me a new fork, to take my new bike to a local bike shop to have them install it, and BikesDirect will reimburse me for it! Larry (and the whole gang) at BikesDirect really provide over-the-top customer service. -- By the way, my new BikesDirect bicycle is replacing another BikesDirect bicycle (a hybrid) I bought from them seven years ago.

Way to go, Larry, and thanks again for all your help!
Bill D.

dang190
4/24/18

I took my new bike out on first ride along c @ o canal. Nice and flat easy. I went 9.76 miles when derailer snaps lose. Broke. Walked it back to car and bike shop. Bike shop examined part and stated clearly it was a defective part. Sent pics of parts and repair invoice. I contacted Larry at bikes direct and was informed they dont sell defective parts and would not help with $59 charge.....sad statement for a company not interested in helping customers with defective bikes!

I would recommend that you think about a hybrid bike first, as the tires are larger & the 26 inch wheels are a bit stronger. Also, you will be more comfortable riding on an upright position. If you like it, use it to loose weight while saving for a decent road bike.

By Jeffrey H.

No. the bike should come ready to ride.

By Dwight W.

Hi - the bike depends upon the type of riding you want to do and what you want out of riding. Do you want comfort? Durability? Speed? More upright riding position? Definitely want to look at bikes with larger tires as they would be more comfortable. The CycleCross type bikes are fast but have a bit larger tires for more durability and comfort than a skinny tire road bike. Check out the OmniStrada which have knobbier and larger tires than the regular cross bikes. They also have top tech tubeless compatible rims which you can easily convert with sealant and kit to being virtually flat free :) Check them out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

It depends on which bike you order. I also had to assemble and adjust the rr deraileur and break calipers. If you are not going to be home when it's delivered you can go to ups website and sign in advance. Ups will send you notifications before and when it arrives.

By william d.

I don't know of an municipality that requires you to register it.

By Alan F.

I think I paid about $55.00 or so. The bike turned out beautifully, it was a gift to my College student son and he loves it.

By Bobby D.

Shop costs vary...50 - $100 for assembly...... Yes, I have found my bike to be right on the numbers as far as weight....

By Chris P.

Here are some good assembly videos showing a mountain bike and a road bike. It's pretty easy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPLfsDliEk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlRjaJWyo4

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

"PERFORMANCE BIKES" ARE A GREAT CHOICE. FOR EXAMPLE, I BOUGHT A ROAD & GRAVEL 18 SPEED WITH A STURDY STEEL FRAME AND DISK BRAKES FROM THEM WHICH WAS $100 LESS (INCLUDING SHIPPING) THAN "BIKES DIRECT'S" ALUMINUM TUBING BIKES THAT WEIGH AS MUCH (OR MORE!). CHECK OUT THE BRITISH BRAND "CHARGE PLUG" (HA! AWFUL NAME) AT PERFORMANCE WHICH COMES WITH ALL THE TOP-OF-THE-LINE COMPONENTS PLUS STEEL FRAME AND WEIGHS JUST 24 POUNDS. ALSO I LIKE THIS BIKE BECAUSE WITH A SIMPLE $34 PART-CHANGE (ON THE REAR-WHEEL) IT'S GEARED FOR STEEP HILL-CLIMBS.

By INGRID P.

hi - if you are having trouble purchasing, please call us 9 to 5pm Eastern time, M-Fri 904-249-2453 to place an order :) Yes, we do take paypal and most major credit cards as well :)

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other customers.

BikesDirect?