Review of BikesDirect

bd4salesteam@aol.com
2017 Customer choice award

craigb115
3/29/18

Bike arrived and was a little harder to assemble than thought, but I jan experienced help. Bike had a scratch in it. Contacted Larry in customer service and he solved the issue and sent me a component list I requested immediately. Larry was great.

lisar302
3/27/18

My husband ordered this bike. It arrived with some damages. He went back in forth between sending back or not. They were very patient with him and he ended up keeping it and they compensated him for the damages. Very helpful.
Lisa

kapilr1
3/15/18

I got a bike and a professional tried tuning up, but he could not because there is a faulty component. Customer support as usual sent the videos to fix it, which I tried and after spending 4 hours, I failed and complained. Customer support now ask to send it back if I like and I have to pay for the shipping fee. You might get lucky for me, its a pain. I have already spent money on the professional tuneup, and now I have to pay $100 for shipping it back...that's not called a good customer service.

marcellos
2/27/18

Very happy with their customer service! I highly recommend BikesDirect. I have purchased 5 bikes from them. On my last one, a HAL-e, I lost the thru axle end frame nut on the trail (it's rare to loose). I contacted them, and immediately Larry email with an answer, this part had to be order from the manufacture, he kept me informed as to when it would be delivered. Would definitely continue to purchase my bikes from them.

sergeyl10
2/24/18

Very happy with my new bike! Customer support (Larry) did great job to resolve minor issue. Would definitely be back for another bike if i need one.

ericj92
2/21/18

I would definitely recommend bikes direct to my family and friends. I purchased a men's Motobecane Cafe Latte from bikes direct. My bike arrived 4 days later. I did have an issue with assembling my front braking system and Larry with customer service helped me swiftly. I definitely will be purchasing from bikes direct again. I love how my bike rides.

brandont25
2/14/18

I bought a fat bike wheelset from BikesDirect for a fat bike build. The price was the best around for what I was looking for compared to other places. The wheels are great.

3 months later (took a while to get all the parts from different places) as I'm building my bike, I noticed there was a spacer missing on the front hub. I'm not sure if it was missing from the beginning or if I had lost it. I contacted BikesDirect and within 5 minutes (5 minutes!) I got an email back from Larry with a tracking number for a replacement spacer. Fastest customer service I have had from any company. Highly recommended.

arealc
2/11/18

I cant say enough bad things about Bikes Direct. When the bike arrived, there not one, but two components that were bad. Rather than apologize and offer replacements, I was pointed to videos on how to repair these parts. It took a month of fighting before they finally replaced the bent components. Recently, I had a bike shop and an independent repair professional try to remove one of the tires, as I could not (and Im fairly experienced with this). One pro couldnt get if off at all. The shop said the fit was ridiculously tight, and it was absurd to expect a consumer to be able to do this on the trail. This is a safety hazard as you could be miles out a trail with a flat. Larry from Bikes Direct response was that he mounted 100s of these. Good for you Larry, but two professional bike people who I took these tires to had difficulties. One could not remove it without damaging the tire. Larry offered me a tire at cost, but the deal he offered me was exactly the same as I could buy it brand new on the web. Since this fiasco, I purchased a second bike from another online retailer and it was much better and customer service was much better. However, if you like to argue, fight, and fix a brand new bike, Bikes Direct is for you.

ianb117
1/30/18

Ordered a motobecane 350ds had issue with left crank arm the factory threaded the arm wrong. I spoke with Larry and he immediately responded and had a new crank arm shipped out to me.I will order from bikes direct from now on. Great company and great people that have knowledge on bikes and parts

mk187
1/24/18

I'm handy. BD.com is great with follow up service. Larry, he #1! . . . #11? . . . no numba1

Be Kusssh
Chandler, AZ!

alech31
1/24/18

I could not be any happier with Bikes Direct. They've answered every question I've had quickly and fully. Their products are high quality and very competitively priced.

Personal thanks to Larry for helping me easily and quickly replace a defective part on a new purchase.

bens255
1/17/18

Bike arrived with small damage to the front brake. One quick email to BikesDirect with a few photos and explanation, and a new set of brake levers was shipped to me right away. Larry's quick response with apology and resolution for the problem is the kind of customer service that is lacking today in so many businesses. I will buy from them again!

codyw29
1/16/18

I messaged Larry about a problem with my bike and he took care of it. Awesome company that cares about the consumer!

jessen25
1/6/18

I need to give a serious shout out to BikesDirect.com. I discovered a small crack in the lower bar non-drive side in my frame. I reached out to them about it. Mind you this is bike I purchased from them in 2015, and it wasn't even their high dollar one, it was the X7, I think a $600-$700. Anyways I had to provide them some pics, then they confirmed the crack via images. I had to send the bike back and pay for return shipping (which I've found is standard for frame replacements).
Today the new frame arrived (11 days after I sent it out I think). They even threw in a laser engraved flask as well :-). I just have to say Larry @ Bikesdirect I applaud you and your business, you were excellent to deal with and I would not hesitate to deal with you again. This is how its done and I wish all companies were this good at customer service.

mkh4
12/30/17

Purchased Mercier New Galaxy Tour. Not a bad bike for the money, BUT...

-Even though the Web site claims NO SALES TAX COLLECTED 48 STATES throughout their Web site and product page, I was charged 6% sales tax. This wasn't obvious until I completed the purchase on PayPal and I was notified my credit card was being charged $21 more than I expected!

I went bak to BD Web site and in very small print it states NO sales tax collected 48 states* -- if you click on that link you are told sales tax collected fo FL and TX sales. VERY misleading and borderline deceitful since everywhere else they proclaim No Sales Tax Collected!

-Bike arrived on date promised. Spoke bent, rimes scraped, spokes/rims, derailleur and brakes all needed adjustment. Fortunately, a bike friend is pretty versed in this and helped out.

I estimate assembly and what adjustments were needed would cost at least $100 at a bike shop. And I still had a bent spoke!

I wish I had looked at a local bike shop first. I won't make the same mistake again.

scotth177
12/29/17

I received a bike with hidden damage. I shot an email to Bikes Direct and received a response from Larry in customer service the very next day. He proposed a solution that was very fair in my opinion and I'm a happy customer. It's really tough to give truly great customer service when you are dealing with a low margin, bulky product like a bike, and Bikes Direct did a good job in my case. I'm impressed with the product, price, and customer service.

paulh327
12/22/17

I've bought 5 bikes through these people and have had great luck. On the 5th bike, however, there were brake pad parts missing (just a nut and spacers). No big deal but a frustration since I wanted the bike put together for my niece. So I e-mailed Bikes Direct, told them of my sorrows (yeah, I'm a bit dramatic!) and prepared to be ignored. NOT SO! With uncanny speed, a fellow named Larry e-mailed me back and had the parts in the mail WITHIN MINUTES. Here's the thing: anyone can send you a bike for a good price. When that price is coupled with extraordinary customer service? Wow---NOW I KNOW WHY I LOVE BIKES DIRECT!

curtm19
12/21/17

I bought a bike for my son Christmas 2016. It was delivered on time and as promised, a bit heavy though for a $700 27.5 inch mountain bike. Be sure to ask for weight. The problem came after the first year when my son noticed the frame was cracked near the back shock. BD was good here, said frame was covered by warranty. We sent the frame back, but BD replaced incorrectly with a 29 inch frame. BD apologized, sent new 27.5 frame but just told me they would not reimburse us for the $70 headset the bike shop just charged me for - not part of frame warranty. Basically we sent the headset back as part of original frame, didnt know this and now they will not reimburse. We have spent about $250 to repair this broken frame. Bad service BD.

jerrym125
12/20/17

I had a brake issue on a bike and one e mail and a a couple hours later Larry responded with a note that replacements were on the way. I know things aren't always perfect, but when something is wrong and it's promptly made right that's great customer service. Thanks, Jerry M from Michigan.

johna755
12/14/17

I bought my Motobecane Bistro 8V a couple of years ago. I was apprehensive because the price seemed to low to be the real deal. Happily, it is the real deal and I'd buy another bike from them in a heartbeat. It was shipped quickly and was delivered undamaged. I recall contacting their support team and had no problems with them at all.

I'm pretty handy with tools, so setup and adjustment were easy. I'd say that the only downside is that assembly and adjustment. If you're uncomfortable doing that you should consider buying from your local bike shop or find a bike mechanic to do it for you.

stephend87
12/13/17

Bought a bike for my daughter for Christmas and when I came to put it together a few days ago I found the front wheel would not fit between the front forks as the locking bolts stopped it from dropping in. I rant customer service and after automatically being cut off around 6 times I eventually got into a queue which took around 20 minutes to reach the front of. The lady then very apologetically put me through to a department that may be able to help. This was also an automated answer line that eventually cut me off. I rang customer service once again and repeated the above steps and quite incredibly got through to the same person! They let me know that someone would pick up the bike on Wednesday (today) and they would sent me an email relating to this. No email - no collection. I'm left with a bike that doesn't work and £90 down. As you can imagine I'm not looking forward to Christmas Day

robertw408
12/11/17

I bought the white one 56cm. It arrived pretty quickly and set up was ok out of the box. I have another bike (cervelo r3) that I use for road biking. This is for my 2 kms commute to work. I had some bike gear from that bike to swap into this one as upgrading parts is always nice. I swapped out the pedals for some bigger ones for $10 (sunlite nylon sport) which give a much better support. I also put on some other wider tires than the ones that came with it. I found communication with the store through Larry was fine. I really like the bike and I use it also for riding around Central Park after work with my kid.

cliffordb29
12/3/17

This is the third set of bikes we have gotten from bikesdirect. The minor issues we have had were delt with by your staff quickly and efficiently. On our recent order Larry helped us diagnose and replace bent derallier hangers (replacements were already included in with the parts kit) and then sent us another set. Thanks!

stuartc58
11/19/17

I was a bit apprehensive about BikesDirect at first, but decided to take a leap of faith - and I'm very glad I did. I now have purchased two bikes from them, and will not hesitate to do so again. You will not find better value for your money anywhere else.

Plus, I had a service question and sent an email. I had an answer within an hour, with more tips and a link to a helpful video. Thanks, Larry! You made me even happier with my decision.

karens385
11/18/17

Larry was extremely helpful in getting us the bike parts we needed. We were worried there was so much damage to the bike that it was not repairable, but thanks to Larry helping us order the correct parts, we are very happy we can now repair it.

I would recommend that you think about a hybrid bike first, as the tires are larger & the 26 inch wheels are a bit stronger. Also, you will be more comfortable riding on an upright position. If you like it, use it to loose weight while saving for a decent road bike.

By Jeffrey H.

No. the bike should come ready to ride.

By Dwight W.

Hi - the bike depends upon the type of riding you want to do and what you want out of riding. Do you want comfort? Durability? Speed? More upright riding position? Definitely want to look at bikes with larger tires as they would be more comfortable. The CycleCross type bikes are fast but have a bit larger tires for more durability and comfort than a skinny tire road bike. Check out the OmniStrada which have knobbier and larger tires than the regular cross bikes. They also have top tech tubeless compatible rims which you can easily convert with sealant and kit to being virtually flat free :) Check them out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

It depends on which bike you order. I also had to assemble and adjust the rr deraileur and break calipers. If you are not going to be home when it's delivered you can go to ups website and sign in advance. Ups will send you notifications before and when it arrives.

By william d.

I don't know of an municipality that requires you to register it.

By Alan F.

I think I paid about $55.00 or so. The bike turned out beautifully, it was a gift to my College student son and he loves it.

By Bobby D.

Shop costs vary...50 - $100 for assembly...... Yes, I have found my bike to be right on the numbers as far as weight....

By Chris P.

Here are some good assembly videos showing a mountain bike and a road bike. It's pretty easy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPLfsDliEk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlRjaJWyo4

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

"PERFORMANCE BIKES" ARE A GREAT CHOICE. FOR EXAMPLE, I BOUGHT A ROAD & GRAVEL 18 SPEED WITH A STURDY STEEL FRAME AND DISK BRAKES FROM THEM WHICH WAS $100 LESS (INCLUDING SHIPPING) THAN "BIKES DIRECT'S" ALUMINUM TUBING BIKES THAT WEIGH AS MUCH (OR MORE!). CHECK OUT THE BRITISH BRAND "CHARGE PLUG" (HA! AWFUL NAME) AT PERFORMANCE WHICH COMES WITH ALL THE TOP-OF-THE-LINE COMPONENTS PLUS STEEL FRAME AND WEIGHS JUST 24 POUNDS. ALSO I LIKE THIS BIKE BECAUSE WITH A SIMPLE $34 PART-CHANGE (ON THE REAR-WHEEL) IT'S GEARED FOR STEEP HILL-CLIMBS.

By INGRID P.

hi - if you are having trouble purchasing, please call us 9 to 5pm Eastern time, M-Fri 904-249-2453 to place an order :) Yes, we do take paypal and most major credit cards as well :)

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other customers.

BikesDirect?