Review of BikesDirect

bd4salesteam@aol.com
2017 Customer choice award

charless181
4/12/17

I bought a Gravity FSX 2.0 last month and my transaction was as smooth as it could be. Shipping was only 3 days and the bike was beautiful. Overall extremely satisfied.

jonathons21
4/7/17

I purchased gravity 29er 3 years ago and it has been a good bike, I have upgraded nearly everything. I broke rear derailluer last weekend, bikes direct does not have replacement derailleur in stock and states that it could be three months before they restock (if ever). My bike is now useless. bikes direct (never answers the phone) responed in an email stating i should try local bike shop. I tried local and nobody can get this deraillur hanger.
I tried purchasing a new bike as it was time to upgrade and I didn't have a bike to ride. I find the perfect bike 27.5 moto full suspension in my size and receive a paypal error message trying to check out stating I need to contact bikes direct. (again no answer) emailed and got a response, sorry your size sold out after hours.
I have been back and forth with chris and larry in emails but they would not help me with derailleur or bike purchase. I was told cost margins are tight and they cant sell me a similar bike at the same price as sold out bike I tried to purchase. My options were pick another bike or go to your local bike store. Costumer service was absolutely no help.

jamess529
4/7/17

I have purchased three bikes from Bikesdirect

No problem seamless transactions each time and of course super low prices

But after years of use I have needed some parts due to wear and tear

BD helped me esch time via simple email requested
Twice for a low price
And once for free

They are so helpful and nice
These guys love bikes

fordp5
4/1/17

The front rotor arrived warped and rather than send me a new one, they sent me a link on how to fix it. The derailleur and frame do not line up properly. The directions are outdated and refer to center pull brakes when the bikes have disk brakes. I am guessing they save on components by purchasing seconds that failed QA checks.

Note how most of the positive reviews sound like ads.

Response from mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Apologies for the mis-understanding. Bikesdirect customer service is one of the best in the industry. We always offer a replacement part if a customer has a part that is beyond normal adjustment / damaged. All bike parts due to shipping and handling over many thousands of miles from overseas to one's door may require adjustments. To see nearly Sixteen Thousand real customers who are happy with Bikesdirect service - check out our Bikesdirect Facebook page :) https://www.facebook.com/bikesdirectonline/
timc108
3/25/17

I ordered a Gravity Bullseye 27.5+ fat bike on Monday late afternoon. It shipped late on Tuesday and arrived yesterday (Friday). It was packed very mindfully and despite the box getting what looked like a bit of a rough ride from Fedex (ground shipping...the free option), the bike arrived without a scratch. It arrives mostly assembled. The only tools you need for finishing the assembly is a hex/allen wrench (sorry, don't remember size) for the handlebars/stem and front brake caliper (needed tightened), and a 15mm wrench to install the pedals. Everything works perfectly, shifting is smooth and swift for both front and rear, disk brakes work quite well, and the bike is gorgeous in Flash Green!

travisv8
3/8/17

The bike is well made and a great value. Happy with my purchase and would buy again. Also the seat broke on the bike after a few rides. I called up customer support and they had an upgraded seat mailed to me within a few hours. Great work and appreciate the help!

monjstuc
2/20/17

The quality of the product is the best.Service is very good.Delivery system is good.I really like this site.

rayb75
2/19/17

This is the first time I have ever posted a rating on anything I have purchased, period.

I picked up a 22 inch Lurch FS from BikesDirect.com, and I love it.

The brand was Motobecane, from what I can tell, it's a brand that they purchased and are selling consumer direct.

I can't say enough good things.....

A bit about myself. I am a bike industry veteran. In the late 90s, I spent 4 years running engineering for a big bike company in WI that starts with a T, since then I have always hated paying retail.

I am 54 YO, a 250 pound Clydesdale, and starting to slow down a bit.

I broke a helmet going over the bars on my XC full suspension bike last year, live in the PNW with great trail access, but getting too old to crash.

I love this fat bike! It allows me to ride both flat and technical trails and get a great workout. I can't run much anymore, hurts my feet, but this bike gets me on the trail with the dogs and get a great work out.

When I ride flat trails, I run 20 psi and roll about 2x running speed.

When I roll my old MTB trails, I run a bit less pressure, floats uphill nice, and downhill technical stuff get sucked up by those big 4.9 inch tires.

Honestly, I tried local bike shops, and bikes with 1/2 the spec were 2x the cost. At just over $1000, it was a risk I was willing to take.

It literally took me less than 5 minutes to go from box to trail, both front and rear derailleurs were tuned, tires even had pressure in them.

I have about 150 miles on the bike and absolutely love it.

The frame was welded and bike assembled in Taiwan, which was unexpected for the price; I expected China.

The fit and finish are great; very happy camper.

The 22 inch frame fits me great, initially I wanted the Minnesota 3.0, but they were sold out. I considered this a 2nd choice, but have absolutely no regrets.

I went chrome moly rather than aluminum because my first two MTBs in the mid80s were steel and I miss them....so much fun.

Nothing but good things to say. I would love to support my LBS, but not when it costs me 2x what this did.

michaelg293
1/30/17

BD gets a bad rep from others. But they are always quick to fix errors, and leave a great level of satisfaction.

I come from a road cyclng background- and a few years ago wanted to try MTB. But I could not justify spending $3k+ on a new bike from the big brands. BD helped give me a solid bike at a great price point that I used as stepping stone into the mtb world.

Now, my gf is interested in trail riding so I did the same for her. I always recommend BD to others!

hidaners
1/17/17

We just bought two road bikes with fixed gear for our daily commute. The bikes are really nice and light and also as described on their website but, one of the bikes had a defect on its fork and the other one an issue on the left crank arm. Both issues were addressed by the service department and we got those issues fixed almost immediately. I couldn't be happier with their response and service provided to us. I would buy again and recommend to my friends. It is the third bike we get from BikesDirect.

billb194
12/30/16

I bought a Gravity Base camp 1.0 for my girlfriends son after searching all the major brands. I was not paying 500 to 600 bucks for an 11 year old to grow out of in a year. For $299 it has comparable components and I have to say a better frame than the 2017 Specialized Hardrock I just bought for my girlfriend. After seeing the made in china sticker on her frame I was aggravated for not going with bikes direct for her and myself also. I bought a 2016 Specialized Cambor 29er, But after seeing the frame being made in Taiwan and the lesser components by far than the Motobecane HAL 6, well I may sell the Specialized to my brother and get the HAL 6. Also the bike showed up like 2 or 3 days after ordering it.

benp75
12/27/16

I had a couple of issues with my order, but the folks at Bikes Direct were absolutely attentive to my issues and made it very easy to return the merchandise for a replacement. I'd absolutely recommend using Bikes Direct for future purchases.

georgog
12/7/16

I had bought a couple bikes online from other guys, but liked the service and special that BD gave me most.
Got a new bike over black friday weekend and am loving it!

robbiem29
11/24/16

I almost never write reviews but had such great experience with Bikesdirect
I shopped for a carbon road bike with Shimano locally and everyone online. Not even Amazon could beat the price. Plus I got free shipping. Had a minor issue and Larry took care of me without delay. Highly recommended!

vans33
11/20/16

I have purchased lots of bikes online for myself and for friends

Bikesdirect clearly has the best prices
I personally have two bikes from them

But what surprises me is; they also have the best service

I needed a part for a different bike and the local shop was giving me the run around
I emailed Larry at bikesdirect service and he actually found the part in his back stock and priority mailed it to me for a super low price

Really I incredible service

jamesw369
11/15/16

In a shop you can not get a road bike under $800, and I do not have that much cash

I shopped everywhere and found the only name brand nicely equipped road bikes under $300 are at bikes direct

I ordered a Mercier for $249 and it was delivered in perfect condition in two days

You can not beat this deal
I was even able to set it up in less than an hour

I love it! It's a very clean white with silver and black trim / very racy

Response from mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Hi James-
Thanks very much for your review of Bikesdirect and the Gravity Bullseye Monster Fat bike.
We are glad you are happy with the incredible deal you got. We work very hard to bring bicycle loving people the best deals on the best bikes.
All deals on bicycles are Guaranteed* Best Prices and we are running select Black Friday deals on brand new, never before seen bikes and special surprise goodies on Bikesdirect.com
Be sure to check out our site several times per week so you don't miss out on any deals
If one sees a bike instock now, one should grab it now before it sells out. Prices are guaranteed* lowest of the year. (*see site for details)
Happy Riding,
Joe Bikesdirect Customer Care
kevink101
10/13/16

I recently bought two Mango Parrot bikes - one for my wife and another for my daughter. Fast shipping and easy assembly. It took more time to unwrap the carefully packaged bikes than it did to actually assemble them! Only had one minor issue with one bike - the front tube wouldn't hold air and it shipped without a rear/red reflector. Larry hooked me up with no questions asked. My wife and daughter love the bikes!!! Highly recommended.

Response from mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Kevin- thanks for the Bikesdirect review. We're happy you're loving the Mango Cruisers bicycles. Glad our service dept got you taken care of quickly.
Happy Riding,
Joe
Customer Care Bikesdirect
michaelr262
9/14/16

Bought a Bikes Direct 29er at Christmas. The delivery was 1 day early to my surprise, couldn't wait to get it put together. The hardest part about it was getting it out of the box and the wrapping. The packaging is well thought out and very protective. My box arrived with a smash mark in the side of the box, but everything inside was so well protected there was no damage. The assembly process is not difficult at all (I am very mechanically inclined) The directions are clear, read them twice they are a translation from another language. The adjustments for both the derailleurs and the disc brakes were very close and could have been ridden as received. Now that we are almost through the summer and I have some mileage on it love the bike. It is a great ride and the price was very good.

Tip for consumers: There are so many choices it is like a kid in a candy store.

allisonk30
8/24/16

When I first received the Motobecane bike I thought "what the heck did I get myself into?" but then Larry at Bikesdirect calmed me down and it came out perfect! I've made 4 trips around our local lake and couldn't be happier. Don't be afraid of a bike in a box!

ronh91
8/10/16

Bike was in great shape went together fine but the front brake cable assembly was totally missing!Was not on bike as delivered and no-where in box-I had to order another from Amazon in 3 pieces to make what I needed-very hard to contact of these people for anything-
Kinda disappointed some thing important was missing!
Bikesdirect got with me after I e-mailed them and they sent me the missing parts pronto-I am totally ok with deal now -thanks

Response from mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Hi - apologies for any frustrations. It is very easy to contact us. We have a phone number posted right here on sitejabber and on our site. Please message us with your full contact and order info and we can get the service dept to get you the parts you are missing. You should be able to cancel your Amazon order :)
Please message us,
Joe
michaelw279
8/9/16

just installed a set of single speed Baker Street wheels on a commuter bike for my son. I only needed a rear wheel but the used wheels at the multitudes of shops her in Portland were all $70-$150! For a basic 10 year old wheel. I saw those while searching the web and at $49 including tires and tubes were worth a chance. What I got was a well built nameless double wall rim, a decent set of hubs, stainless spokes and a set of kenda tires. I thought I would have to true them and grease and adjust the hubs but they were perfect right out of the box. After reading negative stuff about bikes direct by the bike snobs I can tell you my experience was great. I raced bicycles for most of my youth, and worked in bike shops so I'm no novice. I got a solid set of wheels for a great price.

roberts478
8/9/16

I was skeptical about buying a bicycle unseen, but went for it. I placed the order then realized I wanted a different size. I emailed Bikes Direct at 10:30 pm and a woman named Karla replied the next day got me the right size ordered. I received the bicycle in a few days and it's been great ever since. I will not hesitate to order again from this company.

pats235
8/6/16

Winter is coming sometime; and I thought I should jump on the fat bike craze

Problem is that stores all get over $1500 for a fattie

The gravity bullseye monster is one of the best fat bikes under $1500
And I found one on bikesdirect for $499
With free shipping !!

After I placed my order , it showed up in three days it perfect condition
Saving me well over $500

I love my fat bike

jamess444
8/6/16

I just got my third ATB from bikesdirect - what a deal on HAL5: paid $1099 for a full suspension that would go for over $2000 in a shop

Plus I paid no sales tax and got free shipping

All my purchases from BD have gone smoothmy
Plus several guys in my riding group have gotten mountain bike deals from this site .

Not sure how they do it: but their deals can not be beat!!!

Rock on guys

georgir
8/6/16

I bought two bikes feel that I really got more than my money's worth.
They look awesome and the ride is killer!
I did have to settle on another color for my girlfriend's bike, as the first one had sold out shortly before I placed my order. Wasn't really a huge deal for us as we were in it for the value and bikesdirect hooked us up on the 2nd bike.

All-in-all happy with my purchase

I would recommend that you think about a hybrid bike first, as the tires are larger & the 26 inch wheels are a bit stronger. Also, you will be more comfortable riding on an upright position. If you like it, use it to loose weight while saving for a decent road bike.

By Jeffrey H.

No. the bike should come ready to ride.

By Dwight W.

Hi - the bike depends upon the type of riding you want to do and what you want out of riding. Do you want comfort? Durability? Speed? More upright riding position? Definitely want to look at bikes with larger tires as they would be more comfortable. The CycleCross type bikes are fast but have a bit larger tires for more durability and comfort than a skinny tire road bike. Check out the OmniStrada which have knobbier and larger tires than the regular cross bikes. They also have top tech tubeless compatible rims which you can easily convert with sealant and kit to being virtually flat free :) Check them out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

It depends on which bike you order. I also had to assemble and adjust the rr deraileur and break calipers. If you are not going to be home when it's delivered you can go to ups website and sign in advance. Ups will send you notifications before and when it arrives.

By william d.

I don't know of an municipality that requires you to register it.

By Alan F.

I think I paid about $55.00 or so. The bike turned out beautifully, it was a gift to my College student son and he loves it.

By Bobby D.

Shop costs vary...50 - $100 for assembly...... Yes, I have found my bike to be right on the numbers as far as weight....

By Chris P.

Here are some good assembly videos showing a mountain bike and a road bike. It's pretty easy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPLfsDliEk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlRjaJWyo4

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

"PERFORMANCE BIKES" ARE A GREAT CHOICE. FOR EXAMPLE, I BOUGHT A ROAD & GRAVEL 18 SPEED WITH A STURDY STEEL FRAME AND DISK BRAKES FROM THEM WHICH WAS $100 LESS (INCLUDING SHIPPING) THAN "BIKES DIRECT'S" ALUMINUM TUBING BIKES THAT WEIGH AS MUCH (OR MORE!). CHECK OUT THE BRITISH BRAND "CHARGE PLUG" (HA! AWFUL NAME) AT PERFORMANCE WHICH COMES WITH ALL THE TOP-OF-THE-LINE COMPONENTS PLUS STEEL FRAME AND WEIGHS JUST 24 POUNDS. ALSO I LIKE THIS BIKE BECAUSE WITH A SIMPLE $34 PART-CHANGE (ON THE REAR-WHEEL) IT'S GEARED FOR STEEP HILL-CLIMBS.

By INGRID P.

hi - if you are having trouble purchasing, please call us 9 to 5pm Eastern time, M-Fri 904-249-2453 to place an order :) Yes, we do take paypal and most major credit cards as well :)

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other customers.

BikesDirect?