Review of BikesDirect

bd4salesteam@aol.com
2017 Customer choice award

hidaners
1/17/17

We just bought two road bikes with fixed gear for our daily commute. The bikes are really nice and light and also as described on their website but, one of the bikes had a defect on its fork and the other one an issue on the left crank arm. Both issues were addressed by the service department and we got those issues fixed almost immediately. I couldn't be happier with their response and service provided to us. I would buy again and recommend to my friends. It is the third bike we get from BikesDirect.

billb194
12/30/16

I bought a Gravity Base camp 1.0 for my girlfriends son after searching all the major brands. I was not paying 500 to 600 bucks for an 11 year old to grow out of in a year. For $299 it has comparable components and I have to say a better frame than the 2017 Specialized Hardrock I just bought for my girlfriend. After seeing the made in china sticker on her frame I was aggravated for not going with bikes direct for her and myself also. I bought a 2016 Specialized Cambor 29er, But after seeing the frame being made in Taiwan and the lesser components by far than the Motobecane HAL 6, well I may sell the Specialized to my brother and get the HAL 6. Also the bike showed up like 2 or 3 days after ordering it.

benp75
12/27/16

I had a couple of issues with my order, but the folks at Bikes Direct were absolutely attentive to my issues and made it very easy to return the merchandise for a replacement. I'd absolutely recommend using Bikes Direct for future purchases.

georgog
12/7/16

I had bought a couple bikes online from other guys, but liked the service and special that BD gave me most.
Got a new bike over black friday weekend and am loving it!

robbiem29
11/24/16

I almost never write reviews but had such great experience with Bikesdirect
I shopped for a carbon road bike with Shimano locally and everyone online. Not even Amazon could beat the price. Plus I got free shipping. Had a minor issue and Larry took care of me without delay. Highly recommended!

vans33
11/20/16

I have purchased lots of bikes online for myself and for friends

Bikesdirect clearly has the best prices
I personally have two bikes from them

But what surprises me is; they also have the best service

I needed a part for a different bike and the local shop was giving me the run around
I emailed Larry at bikesdirect service and he actually found the part in his back stock and priority mailed it to me for a super low price

Really I incredible service

jamesw369
11/15/16

In a shop you can not get a road bike under $800, and I do not have that much cash

I shopped everywhere and found the only name brand nicely equipped road bikes under $300 are at bikes direct

I ordered a Mercier for $249 and it was delivered in perfect condition in two days

You can not beat this deal
I was even able to set it up in less than an hour

I love it! It's a very clean white with silver and black trim / very racy

Response from mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Hi James-
Thanks very much for your review of Bikesdirect and the Gravity Bullseye Monster Fat bike.
We are glad you are happy with the incredible deal you got. We work very hard to bring bicycle loving people the best deals on the best bikes.
All deals on bicycles are Guaranteed* Best Prices and we are running select Black Friday deals on brand new, never before seen bikes and special surprise goodies on Bikesdirect.com
Be sure to check out our site several times per week so you don't miss out on any deals
If one sees a bike instock now, one should grab it now before it sells out. Prices are guaranteed* lowest of the year. (*see site for details)
Happy Riding,
Joe Bikesdirect Customer Care
kevink101
10/13/16

I recently bought two Mango Parrot bikes - one for my wife and another for my daughter. Fast shipping and easy assembly. It took more time to unwrap the carefully packaged bikes than it did to actually assemble them! Only had one minor issue with one bike - the front tube wouldn't hold air and it shipped without a rear/red reflector. Larry hooked me up with no questions asked. My wife and daughter love the bikes!!! Highly recommended.

Response from mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Kevin- thanks for the Bikesdirect review. We're happy you're loving the Mango Cruisers bicycles. Glad our service dept got you taken care of quickly.
Happy Riding,
Customer Care Bikesdirect
michaelr262
9/14/16

Bought a Bikes Direct 29er at Christmas. The delivery was 1 day early to my surprise, couldn't wait to get it put together. The hardest part about it was getting it out of the box and the wrapping. The packaging is well thought out and very protective. My box arrived with a smash mark in the side of the box, but everything inside was so well protected there was no damage. The assembly process is not difficult at all (I am very mechanically inclined) The directions are clear, read them twice they are a translation from another language. The adjustments for both the derailleurs and the disc brakes were very close and could have been ridden as received. Now that we are almost through the summer and I have some mileage on it love the bike. It is a great ride and the price was very good.

Tip for consumers: There are so many choices it is like a kid in a candy store.

allisonk30
8/24/16

When I first received the Motobecane bike I thought "what the heck did I get myself into?" but then Larry at Bikesdirect calmed me down and it came out perfect! I've made 4 trips around our local lake and couldn't be happier. Don't be afraid of a bike in a box!

ronh91
8/10/16

Bike was in great shape went together fine but the front brake cable assembly was totally missing!Was not on bike as delivered and no-where in box-I had to order another from Amazon in 3 pieces to make what I needed-very hard to contact of these people for anything-
Kinda disappointed some thing important was missing!
Bikesdirect got with me after I e-mailed them and they sent me the missing parts pronto-I am totally ok with deal now -thanks

Response from mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Hi - apologies for any frustrations. It is very easy to contact us. We have a phone number posted right here on sitejabber and on our site. Please message us with your full contact and order info and we can get the service dept to get you the parts you are missing. You should be able to cancel your Amazon order :)
Please message us,
michaelw279
8/9/16

just installed a set of single speed Baker Street wheels on a commuter bike for my son. I only needed a rear wheel but the used wheels at the multitudes of shops her in Portland were all $70-$150! For a basic 10 year old wheel. I saw those while searching the web and at $49 including tires and tubes were worth a chance. What I got was a well built nameless double wall rim, a decent set of hubs, stainless spokes and a set of kenda tires. I thought I would have to true them and grease and adjust the hubs but they were perfect right out of the box. After reading negative stuff about bikes direct by the bike snobs I can tell you my experience was great. I raced bicycles for most of my youth, and worked in bike shops so I'm no novice. I got a solid set of wheels for a great price.

roberts478
8/9/16

I was skeptical about buying a bicycle unseen, but went for it. I placed the order then realized I wanted a different size. I emailed Bikes Direct at 10:30 pm and a woman named Karla replied the next day got me the right size ordered. I received the bicycle in a few days and it's been great ever since. I will not hesitate to order again from this company.

pats235
8/6/16

Winter is coming sometime; and I thought I should jump on the fat bike craze

Problem is that stores all get over $1500 for a fattie

The gravity bullseye monster is one of the best fat bikes under $1500
And I found one on bikesdirect for $499
With free shipping !!

After I placed my order , it showed up in three days it perfect condition
Saving me well over $500

I love my fat bike

jamess444
8/6/16

I just got my third ATB from bikesdirect - what a deal on HAL5: paid $1099 for a full suspension that would go for over $2000 in a shop

Plus I paid no sales tax and got free shipping

All my purchases from BD have gone smoothmy
Plus several guys in my riding group have gotten mountain bike deals from this site .

Not sure how they do it: but their deals can not be beat!!!

Rock on guys

georgir
8/6/16

I bought two bikes feel that I really got more than my money's worth.
They look awesome and the ride is killer!
I did have to settle on another color for my girlfriend's bike, as the first one had sold out shortly before I placed my order. Wasn't really a huge deal for us as we were in it for the value and bikesdirect hooked us up on the 2nd bike.

All-in-all happy with my purchase

rachelb92
8/5/16

BOTTOM LINE, ASSEMBLY AND LABOR WOULD NOT NEED TO BE COVERED IF THE BIKE YOU SENT WAS PROPERLY PACKAGED. BY SENDING REPLACEMENT RIMS YOU AGREED THAT YOUR PRODUCT WAS PACKAGED POORLY. SO BECAUSE OF YOUR POORLY PACKAGED PRODUCT, I, THE CUSTOMER, SHOULD BE STUCK WITH THE ADDITIONAL COST? AND ON TOP OF THAT, THIS WAS A BIRTHDAY PRESENT FOR MY HUSBAND WHO HAS BEEN GOING BACK AND FOURTH WITH YOU FOR 2 MONTHS NOW

Response from mike s., BikesDirect Representative
We value you as a customer and we apologise for the poor handling of your bicycle by UPS. We ship hundreds of thousands of bicycles every year and this sort of damage rarely happens. Sincere apologies for your frustrations and we are sorry that you are not satisfied with what we have offered. We will send you a return label for the bicycle and the replacement wheels and a full refund upon their return. Our customer service will be contacting you on Monday or they may have already done so.
Best regards,
Bikesdirect.com
davida273
8/3/16

Ordered a Diamondback Overdrive, it came earlier than quoted. Gears were perfectly adjusted out of the box, and assembly was simple.

juliaa28
7/21/16

I highly recommend Bikes Direct the Customer service is great, and fast response, very helpful, Delivery is top notch.

andyg54
7/11/16

Good quality bikes good price fast shipping. I bought two bikes and they fit me perfectly. First one got stolen. Never had to contact their customer support so no comment on that. One suggestion is to include a way to review each bike like Amazon. This is my go to place for bikes.

annied22
7/5/16

I ordered a townie bike to ride around downtown and love it!
Cute colors and inexpensive! Sorta like a DIY project with a functional reward at the end.
I recommended bikesdirect to my friends for when they need a bike of their own.
Choosing a bike can be hard only because they have lots of options and some bikes are really similar.
Once you find one you like ordering is simple and shipping doesn't take more than a week.

jordanm77
7/2/16

I was impressed by the turnaround on my bike. I ordered it on a Tuesday and had it on my doorstep the same Friday.
Almost wish I had bought two since the bike ended up being much nicer than I had anticipated.
Ride is smooth and no complaints spring to mind.

charlesb143
6/30/16

Nervous about buying a bike online without sitting on it but I couldn't pass up that price!
Got it in a little less than a week, had it thrown together in 25 minutes.
After some tweaks and tuning over the next day or two, I had a bona fide bicycle!

louisv22
6/28/16

Leaving this review as bikesdirect is a good deal better than I had hoped.
Had to do my research as bike must be built personally, but if you can put together an IKEA desk or lego set, shouldn't be much issue

fredb68
6/23/16

Hi, I'm 64, a retired Firefighter that used to run marathons and do biathelons until an injury. My last race was over 20 yrs ago (my bike was stolen). Decided to treat myself to a bike to get active in retirement. Ordered an AVE. D from BD, received it in 3 days. I think it's a work of art in Burnt Orange, I never used index shifters before, SWEET, lighter than anything I rode before and with disk brakes I can still stop during TX coastal rains. I had to pay taxes being in Texas and still think that at $432.00 this is by far the best bike value around. A few months of training then, see you at the races.

I would recommend that you think about a hybrid bike first, as the tires are larger & the 26 inch wheels are a bit stronger. Also, you will be more comfortable riding on an upright position. If you like it, use it to loose weight while saving for a decent road bike.

By Jeffrey H.

No. the bike should come ready to ride.

By Dwight W.

Hi - the bike depends upon the type of riding you want to do and what you want out of riding. Do you want comfort? Durability? Speed? More upright riding position? Definitely want to look at bikes with larger tires as they would be more comfortable. The CycleCross type bikes are fast but have a bit larger tires for more durability and comfort than a skinny tire road bike. Check out the OmniStrada which have knobbier and larger tires than the regular cross bikes. They also have top tech tubeless compatible rims which you can easily convert with sealant and kit to being virtually flat free :) Check them out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

It depends on which bike you order. I also had to assemble and adjust the rr deraileur and break calipers. If you are not going to be home when it's delivered you can go to ups website and sign in advance. Ups will send you notifications before and when it arrives.

By william d.

I don't know of an municipality that requires you to register it.

By Alan F.

I think I paid about $55.00 or so. The bike turned out beautifully, it was a gift to my College student son and he loves it.

By Bobby D.

Shop costs vary...50 - $100 for assembly...... Yes, I have found my bike to be right on the numbers as far as weight....

By Chris P.

Here are some good assembly videos showing a mountain bike and a road bike. It's pretty easy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPLfsDliEk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlRjaJWyo4

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

"PERFORMANCE BIKES" ARE A GREAT CHOICE. FOR EXAMPLE, I BOUGHT A ROAD & GRAVEL 18 SPEED WITH A STURDY STEEL FRAME AND DISK BRAKES FROM THEM WHICH WAS $100 LESS (INCLUDING SHIPPING) THAN "BIKES DIRECT'S" ALUMINUM TUBING BIKES THAT WEIGH AS MUCH (OR MORE!). CHECK OUT THE BRITISH BRAND "CHARGE PLUG" (HA! AWFUL NAME) AT PERFORMANCE WHICH COMES WITH ALL THE TOP-OF-THE-LINE COMPONENTS PLUS STEEL FRAME AND WEIGHS JUST 24 POUNDS. ALSO I LIKE THIS BIKE BECAUSE WITH A SIMPLE $34 PART-CHANGE (ON THE REAR-WHEEL) IT'S GEARED FOR STEEP HILL-CLIMBS.

By INGRID P.

hi - if you are having trouble purchasing, please call us 9 to 5pm Eastern time, M-Fri 904-249-2453 to place an order :) Yes, we do take paypal and most major credit cards as well :)

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other customers.

BikesDirect?