Review of thredUP

San Francisco, CA 94104, United States
support@thredup.com

laurab309
12/13/17

I used a coupon code that was offered on the site "THRIFTY40" which was applied in the cart but somehow managed to disappear when they charged my credit card. I tried to remedy the situation with customer service using the chat feature and they just went dead on me. Sat there forever asking if someone was still there. Still no response. Horrible customer service. Fail, fail, fail. I'll never shop there again.

danielles142
12/13/17

This site is a MAJOR rip off!! Stay away and sell your clothes elsewhere. I sent in a large bag of quality clothing and when I checked my account, I saw they gave me a whopping $2.15 for it all!! Disgusted.

maureenh32
12/11/17

They charge you immediately without verifying that you want to make the purchase. this is the 3rd time I was charged me for things that I clicked on to enlarge to see better and it ended up being charged and without even asking if I had any coupons which I did. DO NOT THEM keep your credit card ot PAYPAL on file.

hh68
12/9/17

The way the website works, they pay flat rates for items under a certain dollar amounts so it is to their advantage to lean towards pricing things on the low side. I received the same upfront payout for items that ranged greatly in value. It's a bit of a shock to get the same paltry payout for a $250 dress and a $50 dress. Truthfully, lower priced items probably sell faster so they most likely don't really care enough about making a moderately higher profit to keep the mid range value items in inventory. I received a 60% payout on a couple of consignment items, which is actually better than TheReaReal, but I felt like they lowballed the price on most items to avoid a consignment payout and to sell items faster. It takes a couple of months for them to go through a consignment bag and I'll bet they have more inventory than they can handle. They listed a genuine Gucci Wallet I sent them as an "unbranded" wallet for a fraction of the price so that I got a ridiculously low upfront payout. Perhaps the people who sort through the items aren't educated regarding designer brands. They turned down and returned (which I was happy about considering the wallet incident) a pair of Jimmy Choo Shoes which were later accepted by TheRealReal for a 55% commission. Their rules about questioning the listing price of items are so strict that by the time I realized they had lowballed the price of many items it was too late, contractually, to ask for them back. As far as buying from Thredup, with a little time and effort, you can probably find great deals. Several great items that I sent sold quickly at a tiny fraction of the price I bought them for and often at a website discount. I guess their business model works for them and some of their buyers, but it doesn't favor the seller especially if your items are moderately expensive or above. Other websites are better for selling high end or designer items and it's probably better to donate your moderately higher value clothing. You may received more in charitable deductions for donating.

ledal3
12/8/17

I send them 2 bags of gently used clothing like old navy banana republic,Ann Taylor,guess and chicos and I was under impression you get 7.00 per item wrong well I was happy I was getting little money I send them another bag this one had 19 items 5 new with tags thing I'm doing good here and they want to give me 7 94 for everything wow vey disappointed not to mention some of my items are missing and nobody calls you and chats don't help and emails are never return very disappointed

mirandan5
12/5/17

DON'T USE THREAD UP

I sent some clothes to them to sell.and I was dragged around with the money.they tried to pay me only .46 cents when the clothes I sent was worth more.THE COMANY IS NOT WORTH U SELLING YOUR CLOTHES TO THEM

rachelb145
12/2/17

I sent a bag full of brand new and almost new clothing to Thredup. Out of my bag they accepted 29 items and paid me $2.26!! That's not even 8 CENTS PER ITEM.

Meanwhile, my 29 items sold for an average of $11 each! So you're saying I got LESS THAN 1% commission!

STAY AWAY. Donate to your local charities instead of these crooks!

Tip for consumers: DON'T SELL TO THEM. If you choose to buy from them, ONLY search for items on clearance. Most of their clothing is listed at retail pricing.

sjeanw
12/1/17

I only sent about 8 items, five of which were sold for a total of just under $36. One item that they "claim" they didn't take was the most expensive one of the bunch - a dress for which I had paid nearly $70 (it was only cotton, folks) So how much did I make? $1.80!!! REALLY!! Such a rip-off! The dump would have been a better bet.

kaitlynl10
11/30/17

i've sent thred up bags of clothing that is new with tags and hardly worn. i've sent full bags and my most recent two bags were cashed out for $10 and $11. it's a complete rip off. i send nice items from jcrew, loft, etc. an ENTIRE bag for $10... i have one more bag already sent for processing otherwise i would not be sending anything else to them. you're better off donating to good will. i'm totally disgusted with this company.

haleym25
11/29/17

Do NOT waste your time going through ThredUP. I sent a bag full of brand new and gently used clothes and they took 16 of my items and only credited me $27. That is less than $2 per item which is horrendous. I would've felt better donating them than going through this scam of a site.

hollyp25
11/29/17

Sent in an entire bag full of clothing ranging from slightly worn, new without tags and new with tags. Insulting and basically stealing, Never again.

lisas511
11/28/17

I sent a bag full of shoes (20 pairs) to thredup. At least 1/2 of the shoes were Nine West shoes in mint condition and the others were name brand shoes and I received $3.00!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!! What an absolute SCAM this site is!

pamelac26
11/26/17

Let me just say I have NEVER seen a more corrupt company. They basically ROB YOU BLIND and there's nothing you can do about it. I really have no words to describe them other than slow, dishonest and opportunistic. I have sold via consignment for years. i take extremely good care of my things and never send anything with damage, stains, pills, snags, etc. It has to be in perfect condition for me to sell to consignment. They basically give you pennies on the dollar. I have beautiful name brand items, calvin klein, j crew, anthropologie...still PENNIES on the dollar. Think $32 for a bag of approximately $1500 in clothes. This place is a joke. I have several friends who feel the same. TRUST ME, RUN AWAY!!!

djfjsfjpsfs
11/23/17

They stole my clothing and money! I used this website to help me sell my clothing but they CLAIM to have sold my clothing for almost nothing, then collected a large commission, then took my profit as a fee. THIS COMPANY IS CORRUPT.

valerys1
11/22/17

I received an upfront payment of little over 2 dollars I sent in another bag before i knew this I assumed that they would be fair.Not the case. Id love to have them all back I needed the money but id rather like everyone else donated.I have bought here before but not no more I sure hope someone gets this company to not rip people off anymore I could have made more money on ebay selling one or any ofthe items.So sad it could be a darn good business Greed i guess. Sell on ebay everyone or locally

tiliah
11/22/17

I bought a handbag that arrived not only dirty, but with seriously out of date features that were not noted or visible on the photos. The handbag was final sale, and although I was expecting a bit of a 90's look with it, what arrived was ridiculous. They calculate their "retail prices" by some insane metric... as if a handbag from 1993 is still salable at current market prices for the brand! I also purchased a pair of shoes that were mis-sized, but the hassle to return them is not worth it, as you have to print your own label and then trek down to the post office, which takes ages if you live in a city. My time is worth more per hour than the cost of the shoes, so I cut my losses, but would rather have at least lit a bbq with the money i wasted rather than give it to a company that seems to want to offer a shoddy service at premium prices.

alisas15
11/20/17

Will never do business with them again- when I used to send stuff a couple years ago- I got okay- but not great payouts- $60-90 a bag- but it was easier then listing each item individually like on Poshmark- just sent them another bad of even nicer items- 7jeans and Calvin Klein and Michael Kors- and got $9. Really? They accepted 11 items- $1 an item? SCAM!!!! And failing business.

marthab60
11/20/17

When I ordered my first clean out bag it took me a while to dig through my closet, so I was surprised when I got an email saying that they would send me everything back because all of it was rejected I was thinking that this is a mistake, because I hadnt sent anything yet, and that they would probably correct that on their own. But then they sent me another email saying that they would charge me shipping back for the bag... I had to contact them telling them they had made a mistake and the it was a couple of back and forth emails asking me for info on my own bag.
When I sent mine, i chose to have my items returned if they were not selected. I was pretty confident this was not going to be an issue, since they had contacted me when they confused me with another client, just to make sure it was ok to charge me for shipping. It takes time to process everything, I understood that, yet, I never received that email or the clothes that didnt get selected. Among those where a couple of new dresses that simply had the tag removed, but were never worn, and I had made sure to check that the brand was accepted. The whole thing was strange. I waited for so long for them to arrive, that by that point there was no use complaining. I later sent another bag just for donation, i got an email saying that I would get a tax receipt in a few weeks. That was several months ago, and still nothing. I contacted them again and they said that my info had been put on the re-send list and that I would be getting the tax receipt soon. I hope this is true.
I love the concept, I now exclusively buy my clothes with them and vowed to never buy anything but second hand with them, but lets face it, these three incidents show that they have some organization problem. I still recommend the buying experience 100%

robint50
11/19/17

I sent several items that were in excellent condition including an MK purse with the dust bag. The MK purse is not even listed as received. They paid me .70 for an MK shirt that sold for over $13.00. They sold three more of my items. My total payment - $7.15. Do not use this site. You could donate to charity and receive more of a tax write-off then you will make sending your items to this website. It took them over two months to process my order. My guess is they were waiting on the clothes to sell before listing a payout. Just avoid this website altogether. There are a lot of other ways to make money off clothes you no longer want.

Tip for consumers: Do not send your items to this website.

sandraj69
11/17/17

I sent a bag if clothing value appro $1,000. In it was one brand new coat price $350 plus other items never worn...sent it many months ago..just recived email they took $3.50 worth and charged over $9 for shipping. what a scam... Seller beware !!!

bobb1433
11/17/17

Can you just do your own bag? Because it is a waste of money to buy $10 worth of just a bag, when you are trying to get money. So can you just get your own bag?

PS: PLEASE RESPOND!!!!!!!!

giseller3
11/17/17

Send a bag that they sell for over $300 and pay back $8. Is better to donate for a cause or goodwill that give jobs

stephanies245
11/16/17

I'm not naive or taking any of what they do or don't buy to heart or personal. I've sent in a large number of bags in the past few years and know that they pay little. I first sold to thredup a few years ago and payouts used to be a little better, and bags were all free. Most recently, they have started "consignment" where they list your items that don't meet the "upfront" requirements and pay you only if they sell with a slightly better (and USUALLY relatively fair price for no work).

Biggest problem is with consignment. If your item doesn't sell in the 75 or 90 days they give it, the item expires and they sell it for $9.99. YOU SEE NOTHING from that $9.99 consignment sale on your expired item. I have still never seen anything on the site stating that they can keep your consignment items after they've expired and sell them without paying you anything for it.

The upfront payouts are truly terrible now.
Bag 1 - 11 items from J.Crew, Banana Republic, Gap, Columbia, and a few other things. Payout - 14.05.
Subtract the $9.99 Bag charge so you don't have to wait 2 months for processing... $4.05!

Bag 2 - 16 items. Mainly J. Crew, Ann Taylor, plus BR, Gap, Old Navy, Michael Starts, and some others. $25.15 - $9.99 = 15.06

First bag 3 years ago - 13 items - Mainly Gap and old American Eagle Tee shirts - $25

Second bag three eyars ago - 26 items - Mainly old Abercrombie, American Eagle, Target, Old Navy, a little gap and express - $44.

mmv1
11/16/17

Their business model isnt working. They needed to be more discerning in their intake - not push fee penalties on returns for items not as advertised (last two orders both had stained tops and a very worn coat - that yeah, was a high-end name brand, but still looked like a homeless coat due to the wear).

Ive sent in several bags of clothes (much nicer than anything Ive ever received via a purchase) - got a decent to low price for mostly new suits with tags still on for my first one; but the last bag I sent was a joke - $12 for over a dozen designer tops, most still with tags, a silk dress, and two never used leather purses (one costing over $200 as it was from an artist/designer) and two brand new pair of shoes/boots, leather - still in their original boxes and packaging. I could have (should have) sold the brand new knee high leather boots on Facebook swap - I would have gotten at least $30 for those alone. Im canceling my membership today.

maryl436
11/16/17

I sent in a number of clothes items ALL new with tags, never worn: Ralph Lauren, Mini Boden, Tom's, etc. They gave me $13. Less than $2 an item. Would have preferred to donate to a local charity. This organization is disgusting. Don't fall for it!!

Do NOT do NOT do NOT give them your nice clothing. They will STEAL it from you. Things that warrant a good price tag should go to a consignment shop. Those you're willing to sell, use eBay, those you just want to "off load", donate to consignment yourself. You will feel better about it, I promise.

By C F.

I'd love to see a class action suit build against this company. I'm a young professional -- a lawyer, actually (unrelated practice area) -- who is shocked and disappointed by this company's conduct. They're taking advantage of a demographic they think won't speak up. Young women: raise your voices! After having my like-new Diane Von Furstenberg weekender bag disappear into this company, never to be seen again, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. One small step, but it's something! It takes 5 minutes. USE YOUR VOICE!

By Amy S.

Hi Wendy, If you have any specific items in mind it is best to contact support@thredup.com to get an estimate however we have this information posted in the link below: http://support.thredup.com/hc/en-us/articles/203415086-CONSIGNMENT-Everything-you-need-to-know- Essentially, items with a higher MSRP will offer a higher payout on resale. We are always happy to answer any questions that you may have if you reach out to support. We look forward to assisting you.

By James R. [thredUP Rep]

I almost always sell on eBay first. Then when I don't feel like hanging on to the clothes any more and just want my closet space back and they have been on eBay for months, I will send to thredUP. I don't even send in that high end of items and I will usually get $16 and up per bag. So to me, it's a last resort, but I usually can expect something even if it's a little. I LOVE thredUP for buying. Use their upfront calculator to see what items they take. They will say 50 cents to 1.00 per item so it is not hidden info. There is always the return option where you can get your entire bag back for $12.99 as well. Everyone who has nice stuff they'd want back should opt for this method always.

By S S.

They sent me an email and put the money on my thred up account so I can buy something. I was do disgusted I gave up on the whole thing

By Lynne R.

Honestly this company is not choosing to accept a lot of product that could easily be listed. I have sent bags and bags, including valuable pieces.... cashmere sweaters, high end items of considerable retail cost and relatively recently produced. When questioned I am given the response that the items were not in as good a shape as they wanted them to be.. that their buyers should be able to buy perfect product. My take on this is ..... if it's a 200 dollar cashmere sweater and the purchase price is under 10 dollars, a few pills on the fabric should be a non issue!!!! Period. I question what is going on, frankly, as many do. Too much disappears with no explanation, many bags go into complete reject status. I genuinely am concerned that there is a story here and may become apparent after a while. Only time will tell.

By caroline g.

Not worth it unless you have stuff priced over $40 and can get 40%. There percentages are ridiculous for lower priced clothes. You can order return assurance for about $12 but be prepared to get a bag back with your items stuffed in like garbage. They do not even take the time to fold things nicely even though you pay for this service.

By Susan W.

Of course buyers are satisfied. They are getting other peoples' brand-name, like-new clothes that has been stolen by ThredUp. Buying from ThredUp just supports their dishonest and shady business practice.

By Allison F.

Ditto above contact company direct, more than likely you will end up feeling ripped off. I stick with likewice.com for selling

By Shanda D.
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other customers.

18 Photos for thredUP