Review of thredUP

San Francisco, CA 94104, United States
support@thredup.com

kerriq
2/19/18

I love the idea and concept behind ThredUP. But I just looked at my most-recent payout overview, and $750-plus worth of clothes yielded me a whopping $37.34 payout.

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Kerri. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.
samo57
2/17/18

I ordered for the first time from ThredUP because of the fact that I can buy designer items for a very cheap price. I bought a dress and shoes for a special occasion and used expedited shipping. I received the shoes at the right time but somehow the dress never showed up. The tracking number they gave me shows that it was delivered, but the store I delivered it to never received the dress. I ALWAYS deliver to this address for years and I've never had a problem so I knew it was either a random shipment mistake with USPS or they just never sent the item, or that it was taking them longer than usual. Besides the point the special event I needed it for had already passed and I was getting tired of waiting for a dress that nobody knows where it is. I asked for a refund and they told me to keep waiting (even though I don't even need the dress anymore) and that it might show up within the next two weeks. For me that just sounds like stalling and they don't want to deal with the problem. They don't care if I received the item or not all they care about is keeping my money for as long as possible. They literally stole my money and didn't send me what I bought. Refused to give me my money back after asking politely. Now they don't want to respond after I messaged them about it again it's been 2 weeks since I ordered so far and no word back. Hopefully I get my money back cause this site is hopeless, can't even send a simple order correct.

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Sam. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to begin looking into this issue. We look forward to your reply.
susanl217
2/17/18

I do a lot of online shopping at second hand stores. I tried really hard to find something to buy so I could do a complete review on the experience. I just couldn't find anything worth what was being asked. You can get a better deal at other sites for the same items. The ONLY thing that was appealing to me, is that they have the items ready to be shipped. At other sites, such as poshmark, you don't know if you will get what you've bought due to sellers not being active any longer. I will keep trying to see if I can find something I feel is a good deal.

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Hi Susan, thank you for your feedback and your interest in thredUP! We're adding thousands of new items every day. We know you'll find something you'll love soon. Feel free to send us a message should you have any questions. Happy shopping!
petes79
2/17/18

Never again! Totally misrepresent their process...they say they can't figure out how to give donors tax receipts for all the clothes they receive and reject... HA! I bet SOMEONE is getting that tax write-off. SCAM

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Pete. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to help explain our donation process.
samanthaw73
2/16/18

They give you very little for what you send, and does not always accept what you sent. Sold many items and only made under 6 dollars. DOESN'T seem right when a sold name brands. And emailing them is impossible . I get they need to make money but hey could i get atleast a little more then 5%

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Samantha. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.
aliciav13
2/15/18

Don't expect to make a lot of money. But if you just want to get rid of clothes and you don't want them to go to waste, you might get some extra pocket change. I understand that the sell price is up to their discretion. However, I sent them $700 worth of clothes in new or like new condition, some even with tags, and they payout is very minimal. The first problem is their estimated original costs are all over the place. Some items i paid $60 for and they estimated them at $20. So they don't have a handle on the brands. Keep this in mind if you are sending anything of value. The second problem is they sell most items under the $15 mark even if they estimate the original value to be $60. I sent $700 worth of clothes. They are selling for $163 (most have already sold). The payout based on their current policies is only $12. I will say their customer service was incredibly responsive to my concerns. Hopefully their policies will improve. For now, this is just an easy way for me to get rid of clothes that I don't feel like selling and shipping on my own.

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Alicia. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.
jackied79
2/14/18
• Updated review

So, I sent in a second bag thinking that maybe the bad experience was a one-time thing.
They accepted and sold almost everything (one item didn't sell).
11 items.
I got $6.90
I'd rather just give it all to a Buy Nothing Facebook group.

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Jackie. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.
“Not worth it.”
1/10/18
• Previous review

It's so little money for what you give them. I sent over a huge bag of premium women's/kids clothes, which totaled over $200 in inventory for them (probably close to $1,000 full retail) and I got about $22. So not worth it. I've gone in person to places like Buffalo Exchange and got between 40-60% of what they will eventually charge. ThredUp doesn't even offer a higher amount for a trade in value, which they should. There should be a "cash out" amount, and a "shop with us" amount. Also, I bought a pair of shoes and a cardigan with my "cash out". The cardigan was labeled as new (I paid $30 for it), and it had a hole in it.

janeyw3
2/13/18

For years, I've sold my clothes via consignment as shops like Plato's and Buffalo exchange. If I took the stuff I sent to ThredUp here, I'd walk away with 100$ cash. They paid me .32 for J. Crew jeans in excellent condition and didn't even accept my Michael Kors flats I could have sold online for 60$.

Don't waste your time. They have extremely unfair rates. I'm guessing they pay their marketing managers and heads pretty well while the rest of us suffer and basically hand over good items in our closet.

Their business model is unsustainable, un-scalable and it's a matter of time before they fall on their face.

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Janey. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.
lindaf154
2/13/18

Sent bag of items and 2 items sold for $19 and I receive $.95. There was also an expensive leather jacket in the bag that was not reported as received. Definitely a local consignment or resale or even donation would be a much better choice

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Linda. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.
paigea9
2/13/18

I'm writing this largely in response to everyone who has said that thred up is a scam. It's not. They clearly state in their FAQs and in the terms of service that it is 100% up to their discretion what they choose to sell, and how much they pay for it. Anyone who isn't okay with this shouldn't send their clothes in.

That being said, I've noticed within the last few months that they've restructured their pricing and I'm making WAY less than I was before. The first bag I sent in, I made $66 with only 3 consignment items (none of which sold). My most recent bag, I only made $10 upfront, and then an additional $22 off of 22 consignment items. It's clear that they're selling more items on consignment, probably to offset the cost of stocking items that never sell, which I imagine is a decent amount of their inventory.

Thred Up is fantastic for what it is - a way to send off your unneeded clothes and hopefully make a few bucks, while not having to deal with listing and shipping things online or visiting consignment stores. Those who have 'thousands of dollars' worth of NWT items should take them to a consignment store where they can make back 40% of what it sells for.

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your honest review, Paige! We take feedback like yours very seriously as we continue to improve our services. Please send us a private message should you have any questions about your payout, we'd be happy to help answer any questions.
kimberlym163
2/13/18

I used to make fair money with them a couple of years ago, but they have become progressively worse. Now it is .25 to .35 per item. I owned a resale shop, so I understand how the process works, but they have started taking more and more and giving less and less and they rarely buy anything outright anymore. I am sending name brand clothing and occasional designer pieces, but will take to local places to resell or use Poshmark or Ebay. I sent to them for convenience sake, but after they take out the bag charges, it is literally nothing.

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Kimberly. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.
saraa111
2/12/18

Unless $0.32 is meaningful to you (on something you probably paid $75 for), literally do ANYTHING ELSE with your clothing (donate, Craigslist, mom's FB groups, Tradesy, burn it in the fireplace) rather than give it to Thredup. They sell high quality stuff (not just Gap) for $5 and take 90% commission. I suppose you can buy stuff from them since they sell it for dirt cheap. But presumably they will run out of items to sell when NO ONE sends them anything other than Old Navy garbage. So they can become the penny-store for Old Navy crap I suppose.

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Sara. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.
marissal18
2/12/18

as mentioned by dozens of other people- thred up is an absolute nightmare for sellers. you will receive a 5% payout on many many items. someone mentioned below that they have a payout estimator on their site... they do; but its wildly inaccurate. I've sent them 7 bags of clothing over the course of about 4-5 years; they've gotten progressively worse as time has gone on, and I'm officially done with their service. you'll receive .50 or .70 cents for many items- with no option to reject their offer. customer service is unresponsive and unhelpful if you have an issue. my most recent payout was $60 for 20 or so items, which isn't the worst thing ever, but it did not clear correctly. only $40 of this payout cleared, and customer service hasn't returned by message for a week +. its not even the first time this has happened! it also takes them 2 weeks to allow you to have your "upfront" payout money. all the while they are selling your goods and getting money for them immediately. i have given them the benefit of the doubt more than enough.

because of the way they treat sellers, you can get great deals as a buyer! definitely not worth selling to them though. STAY AWAY. seriously.

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Marissa. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.
ugyvedn
2/11/18

Thredup paid me 65 cents on an item they sold for $12.99 and 50 cents on one that went for $9.99. Their rip off strategy should be illegal and exposed to all!

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Ugyved. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.
mh221
2/11/18

I have shopped with them in the past and been pleased for the most part. Not any more. Just ordered four items and received them yesterday. All four are very worn and pilled, not to mention old. They had lint and hair on them. The web description was quite misleading. Would have gotten better quality for much less at a thrift store. Thredup prices in general are ridiculous. If you want to return something, they charge you $9! Easier to just donate it. No more Thredup for me.

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, M H. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.
lauraz16
2/9/18

Prepared to send off bags, but after reading reviews I am second guessing using this company for resale. Any recommendations where else to sell that's easy for a novice?

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Hi Laura, thank you for your comment. We'd be happy to help answer any questions and address any concerns you may have. We have sent you a private message. We look forward to your reply.
amandaf93
2/9/18

Do not waste your time sending in clothes! They give you 30 cents for a shirt and then turn around and list it online for $50. They "accept" very few clothes. They still sell everything that has been sent in! Do not give them anything. Sell it on eBay, find a consignment shop or donate them to a worthy cause. But this company should be put out of business.

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Amanda. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.
janetd66
2/6/18

I sent a bag of designer clothes, some with tags still on. They kept ONE item - a cashmere sweater and gave me 70 cents!!!!!!!! Really?????????? This company is a rip off!!!!!!!!!!! Do not use them!!!!

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Janet. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.
juliew166
2/3/18

I sent a huge bag of stuff and after the fee I only have $4. it is a scam!!! sell your stuff yourself!

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Julie. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.
lorenag9
2/2/18

As a public service, I want to share my unbelievably horrible experience with thredUP. In case you aren't familiar with them, they are an online clothing resale company. I did a major closet clean out in December and sent three very large bags of brand new, high quality clothing and shoes to thredUP. Of the first two bags, they accepted 26 items, and my payout was just over $15. You read that right....less than $.60 per item. And because I requested that my remaining items be returned to me (for $10.99 shipping), I'll be netting a whole $4.62 for my 26 items. Unfortunately, rejecting the offer is not an option, so I had no choice but to just accept the staggering loss. Just when I thought it couldn't get worse, I received an email claiming that the third bag "contained insects and was thrown away", with absolutely no supporting evidence. I personally packed and sealed that bag and can guarantee that there were no insects in it, yet I have no way to prove it. For all I know, they're happily selling it's contents as I type this. I am literally sick that I sent THOUSANDS of dollars worth of clothing and shoes to thredUP only to essentially have it stolen from me. I would have much rather given these items to friends or donated them to people in need than to have this incredibly dishonest company profit from it. I used to be a huge fan of buying from thredUP, but I can never buy from them again now that I know how much they take advantage of their sellers. The damage is done for me, but please spread this information far and wide so that you can help prevent this from happening to anyone else. #thredUPscam #thredUPripoff

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Lorena. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.
jennifera184
1/30/18

I have been consigning clothes since I was a young girl. This is by far the worst experience I have had with a company. They are not trustworthy! I sent them 20 items that were brand new WITH tags on them. So far 11 of those items have sold on their site (they send you a email when each item is sold so it is easy to track) and they are giving me a total of .26 cents!!!!!!!! the items that I sent were beautiful dressed and skirts, 5 skirts were suede and unworn with tags on them. I can see that they mad hundreds of dollars off the items and to see that they are only giving my .26 cents enrages me. I have been emailing the customer service line (because they don't have a phone number to call) for weeks and nobody has emailed me back. I will NEVER use this company again, they are making millions and giving people who actually have quality clothing to give PENNIES. Crooks.

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Jennifer. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.
adrianeh2
1/30/18

I don't know about buying because after my selling experience I gave up the site all together. I sent a large bag of women's clothes in excellent condition - some even new with tags. They kept maybe 4 articles, sent the rest back (charging me to send back) and then they gave me next to nothing for what they kept! Even the brand new with tags item - they didn't even give me 10% of what I paid for it. This site is a rip off! Do NOT bother trying to sell to them.

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Adriane. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.
susang210
1/29/18

thredUP is my new addiction. I made three large purchases so far, and have scored some amazing buys on my favorite department store brands. Everything was either new with tags or in like-new condition.

I've read through the negative reviews about selling to thredUP, and feel they're somewhat unfair. If you read through the information under their Clean Out link, the company is very clear about what they accept, what happens to unaccepted items, and how you can optionally have these items returned to you. They also provide a Payout Estimator so you can get an idea of what you will be paid for your items. If you take the time to review this information before you send them your clothing, you'll know what to expect. That said, the number of reviews reporting negative selling experiences indicate there's a disconnect between what sellers expect and what thredUp pays out. thredUP could probably use some PR help to bridge that gap.

I do plan to sell to thredUP, even though I realize I will recoup only a fraction of what I originally paid for my items. My reasons? 1) It's easy. I just send my items in the postage paid bag. I clean out my closet two to three times a year and I don't have time to sell on eBay or haul my stuff to a consignment shop. 2) Like most women, I have many "mistakes" taking up space in my closet -- impulse buys, sale items, shoes that pinch, those "what was I thinking" purchases, etc. Why not pass these items along to someone else who will be thrilled to find them on thredUP?
3) Recent changes in the tax law eliminated my need to itemize deductions on Federal taxes. That means I can no longer claim a tax deduction for donations to Goodwill. 4) For the items sold to thredUP I can select my payout as a credit against future purchases. What is not accepted will be sold to third party sellers or passed along to recycling partners and upcycled.

I do plan to send some items to thredUP and have ordered my cleanup kit. Once the process is complete I will update this review with my selling experience

thredUP sells great quality clothing at really good prices. From the $$ they receive for sales they also need to pay expenses to keep the operation going. That includes buying their inventory at low prices and paying their employees to inspect incoming items to ensure quality control.

I like to think of thredUP as Good Karma -- I exchange my unused items for great clothing finds, priced way below retail, that I can wear immediately. So keep an open mind and give thredUP a try.

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your honest review, Susan! We appreciate feedback like yours as we continue to improve our services. Please send us a private message should you have any questions about selling. We'd be happy to help. In the meantime, happy shopping!
deverys1
1/27/18

They will not pay you for anything you send them
. I sent all items with tags that were brand new and they did not even give me a credit. If you want to reclaim your items..they charge you for it. Don't waste your time.

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Devery. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.
tonin8
1/26/18

Please report to BBB better business bureau because this site is getting away with scamming and stealing if you sell beware because they don't give you $$$ for everything you send in. You might as well send keep it waste your time sending one item at a time. They are not credible like selling on eBay,Craigslist, big cartel etc

Response from Mike M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Toni. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously as we continue to improve our services. We have sent you a private message to make this right. We look forward to your reply.

Do NOT do NOT do NOT give them your nice clothing. They will STEAL it from you. Things that warrant a good price tag should go to a consignment shop. Those you're willing to sell, use eBay, those you just want to "off load", donate to consignment yourself. You will feel better about it, I promise.

By C F., thredUP Representative

I'd love to see a class action suit build against this company. I'm a young professional -- a lawyer, actually (unrelated practice area) -- who is shocked and disappointed by this company's conduct. They're taking advantage of a demographic they think won't speak up. Young women: raise your voices! After having my like-new Diane Von Furstenberg weekender bag disappear into this company, never to be seen again, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. One small step, but it's something! It takes 5 minutes. USE YOUR VOICE!

By Amy S., thredUP Representative

Hi Wendy, If you have any specific items in mind it is best to contact support@thredup.com to get an estimate however we have this information posted in the link below: http://support.thredup.com/hc/en-us/articles/203415086-CONSIGNMENT-Everything-you-need-to-know- Essentially, items with a higher MSRP will offer a higher payout on resale. We are always happy to answer any questions that you may have if you reach out to support. We look forward to assisting you.

By Mike M., thredUP Representative

I almost always sell on eBay first. Then when I don't feel like hanging on to the clothes any more and just want my closet space back and they have been on eBay for months, I will send to thredUP. I don't even send in that high end of items and I will usually get $16 and up per bag. So to me, it's a last resort, but I usually can expect something even if it's a little. I LOVE thredUP for buying. Use their upfront calculator to see what items they take. They will say 50 cents to 1.00 per item so it is not hidden info. There is always the return option where you can get your entire bag back for $12.99 as well. Everyone who has nice stuff they'd want back should opt for this method always.

By S S., thredUP Representative

They sent me an email and put the money on my thred up account so I can buy something. I was do disgusted I gave up on the whole thing

By Lynne R., thredUP Representative

Honestly this company is not choosing to accept a lot of product that could easily be listed. I have sent bags and bags, including valuable pieces.... cashmere sweaters, high end items of considerable retail cost and relatively recently produced. When questioned I am given the response that the items were not in as good a shape as they wanted them to be.. that their buyers should be able to buy perfect product. My take on this is ..... if it's a 200 dollar cashmere sweater and the purchase price is under 10 dollars, a few pills on the fabric should be a non issue!!!! Period. I question what is going on, frankly, as many do. Too much disappears with no explanation, many bags go into complete reject status. I genuinely am concerned that there is a story here and may become apparent after a while. Only time will tell.

By caroline g., thredUP Representative

Not worth it unless you have stuff priced over $40 and can get 40%. There percentages are ridiculous for lower priced clothes. You can order return assurance for about $12 but be prepared to get a bag back with your items stuffed in like garbage. They do not even take the time to fold things nicely even though you pay for this service.

By Susan W., thredUP Representative

Of course buyers are satisfied. They are getting other peoples' brand-name, like-new clothes that has been stolen by ThredUp. Buying from ThredUp just supports their dishonest and shady business practice.

By Allison F., thredUP Representative

This company cannot be trusted...stay away. They are bad news.

By Suzanne S., thredUP Representative

Ditto above contact company direct, more than likely you will end up feeling ripped off. I stick with likewice.com for selling

By Shanda D., thredUP Representative
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other customers.

18 Photos for thredUP