Review of thredUP

San Francisco, CA 94104, United States
support@thredup.com

chelseap41
3/18/19

I loved most of the clothes I purchased and got them at great prices. However, I don't like that there's a restocking fee for each item that's sent back. I liked being able to try new things and I feel much less likely to order certain items with this new fee.

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Chelsea,
We appreciate your feedback. As we apply certain fees to our services, we do have our customers in mind every step of the way.
caram32
3/17/19

When the site started it was awesome they gave a reasonable amount of money back to you and always had 20% off days. I am not sure what has happened but it's clear someone's gotten greedy. I send in very nice clothes some brand new!! They are taking $30 and leaving me with $1.50!! Not to mention they take forever to go through your bag, never offer discounts anymore, and have marked up their USED clothing to be more than it was when it was brand new. Sorry Thread Up but you are a huge THUMBS DOWN. Get a reality check, it's used clothes! I can't see this site lasting long with the way it's going they will be belly up in no time. I'd rather donate my clothes for a good cause then give to you greedy people.

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Cara,
We apologize if our Clean Out Program did not meet your expectations. Our hope is to always manage expectations initially around what you can make with us. We provide the payout estimator (thredup.com/cleanout/payout-estimator) and display our payout structure (https://bit.ly/2rjNhPx) to allow customers to get a better idea of how much they'll earn.
teresad105
3/17/19

Returns take forever to reach ThredUP, a message takes forever to get a response, and the request I made was ignored without a response to let me know how it would be handled. Very disappointed. I spend quite a bit each month, and I'm left wondering, why?

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Teresa,
Thanks for your message. We can assure you that our Customer Service team works diligently to address every customer concern to the best of their ability. We were able to confirm that a CS member did reply to you and resolved your incoming inquiry, recently. Please follow up and let us know if you need further assistance and we are more than happy to help. You can also contact us via Twitter support, Instagram or Facebook. https://bit.ly/2W2jDc1
amberv23
3/17/19

Don't use at all to sell.Sent brand new with & without tags got told only $1.90 was amount for me.5% on items only accepted 5 they got a lot from those. Rest in their rescue boxes for 10 items at $35-$75 a pop. Saw some on the site being sold that was unaccepted.awent to cash out only option was bank transfer they would only give me .50c for the $1.90.So tried it was only option at this point but kept claiming every debit card to routing numbers were invalid.Kept spinning forever then if it went through said invalid debit.lol tell that to my bank it's what they gave me.Deleted will have relatives delete theirs seller beware.Youtube newer reviews say it all ...greedy theives.

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Amber,
Thanks for your message. We apologize if our Clean Out program did not meet your expectations. Please be assured that our processors never intentionally reject items from a Clean Out Bag with the intention of selling them through our Rescues shop. If an item is in acceptable condition, we want to list if for sale on our site so we can award credits to our sellers and so we can give our customers more pieces to shop from.
lyndsayo
3/16/19

I wish I did my research before sending in my consignment items which is why I'm warning you guys. Majority of my items were brand new and what I got ($$) for them was an absolute joke! I literally feel like I was completely robbed and there is nothing I can do about it! I'll give you a couple examples. I had a brand new with tags goregous Free People Top and I got $.60 for it!!! Another Free People top I got $.55 for!!Brand new Express pants $.75!!! Why am I making pennies on my items when they are making $10+++ on each of these items?? I may as well given my things away! At least I wouldn't be left feeling robbed!

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Lyndsay, thank you for your feedback. We always aim to provide as much information about our Clean Out services as possible so sellers like yourself have realistic expectations around what your selling results will be.
elizabethc456
3/15/19

You will get almost nothing for what you send. If you send good items you may wish to pay for return, although it will eat up anything you make. You are probably better off either selling elsewhere or donating.

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Elizabeth. Thanks for your message. At thredUP, we aim to be THE most convenient way to pass along your unwanted clothing responsibly. We are all about convenience for our sellers and having them do as little work as possible, which may mean you may not earn as much as you would if you sold your items peer to peer.
alexa345
3/13/19

Customer service does not respond. They do not care. If your order is not as needed, then you are out of luck. Horrible customer service.

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Alex. Thanks for your message. We're not showing any emails sent to our customer service team from your associated account. We've sent you a private message to discuss further. Thanks.
applesb
3/13/19

I ordered a sweatshirt a sweater dress, and a plaid shirt. I got the plaid shirt it was good not too used. The sweatshirt felt like it was 20 years old and it fit me like I was out of style. And the most I was excited about was the sweater dress, but I didn't receive it so I contacted them and it took them a long time to reply. To say if you don't have the barcode or serial number they can't help me they never gave me any number! That's bull crap, they just wanted to rip me off I got 2 used (1 very crappy) pieces of clothing for 26$ you should just go to salvation army and find clothing that is not too used and fits you correctly and you know if you spend money on it you get to keep it (plus you don't have to pay to ship) it's just a bad idea to shop at a used clothing store online.
Plus they have terrible customer service
It's a scam you might get lucky though I don't think it's worth the risk.

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Apples. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. We're sorry to hear your order was not up to expectations, and we'd definitely like to look into this further. Order information, along with item numbers, can be found on your thredUP account page via thredup.com/orders. We've sent you a private message to discuss further. Thanks.
angieb86
3/13/19

If you want extremely used, thread worn, pure rags... This is your company. And why so many different packages??? This is the biggest rip off I've ever seen. The items look like items you would burn before you would Donate them! It is literally just like lighting a $100.00 bill on fire. This should not be allowed. BBB contacted, formal complaint. Trust me, run from this horrific website!!!

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Angie. We're sorry to hear this is your feeling about the order you received. Regarding shipments, different packages could be sent if you're ordering items from multiple distribution centers. We have centers located across the U.S. that shoppers have access to. It is never up to our standards to send items that do not match their description - we've sent you a private message to discuss this further. Thank you.
susanag15
2/23/19

I sent in two boxes of items in January, one box With 21 items (Ann taylor wool & skirts, jcrew shirts, banana republic silk tops, Vince camuto wool pants etc) just got processed, and I was offered a whopping payout of $2.20 for 4 accepted items. I wasn't expecting much, but $2.20 Is ridiculous. The weird thing is thredUP accepted the crumiest 4 tops from the box and rejected the new to like new jcrew and Ann taylor and Vince camuto items! I take it that the staff decided they liked the items enough for themselves and therefore rejected' them. This is called stealing thredup! Too bad my second box is already in your possession. But you know what? I have many more nicer items I have been contemplating on selling (new Lilly pulitzer, theory) that I will no longer send in. I learned my lesson. Do NOT send anything of value to thredup. Next time I will just donate. I am thinking thredUP deserves people mailing in physical garbage, that business is garbage. Oh yah thredup, I have taken pictures of my items before I shipped them to you thieves!

martim14
2/22/19

I sent over 2 boxes of clothes still with tags on them and got back just a little over $6 if I cash out now or a little over $18 when and IF they sell. These clothes were brand new, NEVER worn, and still had tags on them. I should have just donated them to Good Will. I understand they need to make money as a business and it is only second hand, but $6 for BRAND NEW clothes is INSANE! I will NEVER do business with them again. Poshmark is a way better way to go to make a little extra cash on the side.

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Thanks for your review. We always aim to provide as much information about our Clean Out services as possible so sellers like yourself have realistic expectations around what your selling results will be. We do provide the payout estimator (thredup.com/cleanout/payout-estimator) and display our payout structure (https://bit.ly/2rjNhPx) to allow customers to get a better idea of how much they'll earn. Please reach out to our support team if you have further questions about your payout and we're happy to assist.
theresac149
2/12/19

Stay away. They sell your stuff and give you about fifty cents. You are better off selling it your self on Mercari

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Theresa. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and we're sorry your recent experience had not gone as expected. We do recommend customers review our payout estimator (thredup.com/p/cleanout-payout-estimator) prior to sending in their items to get a better idea of earnings. You're always welcome to contact our support team if you'd like further clarification about the payout.
nancys616
2/10/19

The women's size four sweater that I bought barely fits my average sized 5 year old granddaughter. The boys size 12 jeans are women's size 12 jeans. I emailed their support staff over 48 hours ago and haven't heard a word. I will not be buying from here again, and I will be posting negative reviews around the 'net.

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Nancy - this is never up to our standards, so we are sorry if you received items that did not match the product listings. We have sent you a private message requesting account information to look into this further. Thanks.
briannab35
2/7/19

The whole reason for selling your unwanted but still wearable clothes is in hopes to make a little extra cash, not .70 cents. That's what you get ONLY IF your close sell and if they don't well then you might as well sent them to good will cause you don't get anything. What is even more annoying about this company the clothes they don't take they sell to other sister companies for profit whom them those store make money by selling your clothes while you don't get a dime for them. Absolutely worst store I have ever done business with. If I could give negative stars I would.

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Brianna,
We are sorry to hear you were not satisfied with the Clean Out process. To clear this misconception about sister companies, we repurpose rejected items into our Rescue program, which then allows us to donation portions of proceeds to our Charity Partners. There is very little, if any, profit made off of these items. The intention is to utilize items that would otherwise not be recycled properly or destroyed. Hope this information helps.
elizabethk225
2/7/19

I sent in several quality items and the low amount I received for each piece is ridiculous. I will use Poshmark instead. The reason their prices are so good is because they pay their sellers so little for their merchandise.

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Elizabeth,
We are sorry to hear you were unsatisfied with your Clean Out experience. It’s important to remember that using thredUP means that you may not earn as much as you would if you sold your items peer to peer. But what you may miss in earnings, you earn back in overall convenience. Our goal is to help make our customers’ lives easier by helping them get rid of unwanted items from their closets from the convenience of their own home. While you might be able to earn slightly more by selling elsewhere, thredUP does all of the hard work for you: no driving, no negotiating with buyers, no dealing with rejected items.
Best regards.
janellew16
2/6/19

You can definitely find great buys here, however, I will never sell with them again. I would say do your research before buying with them because some things are overcharged, others are steals with the discounts that they'll provide (on occasions). In regard to selling with them, DON'T you won't make anything on the clothes that they do "accept" but a few cents here and there. I had given them a bag full of items, some designer garments and they never turned up as items that they "accepted". I am a bit confused by this. They make it so hard to have your items returned that you won't decide to do so when sending off your bag. I am a bit skeptical about their integrity and I will say that it is best to go elsewhere.

kathyd172
2/6/19

I've been using Thredup for a couple of years. I have sent 4-5 clean out bags in to them and also made over a dozen purchases. Until recently, I was very satisfied, no issues. I was having better success at selling my items and finding my sizes unlike the hassle of local shops which never had my size or would refuse my items after I dragged them to the store (because they had no space or too many similar items). In Summer 2018, I noticed they up sold a designer bag I sent in. That was the first red flag. In December 2018, I sent in a bag, which took over a month to process. The Summer bag (15 items) had an initial payout of $71. The January 2019 bag had more items accepted with two different payouts, $24 in consignment (for 19 pieces) Or a $12 initial payout. WTH. I was completely disappointed. I'd been using the site to upcycle my wardrobe, and I can't do that when I get 60 cents for a $50 dress. It was great while it lasted. The honeymoon is over.

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Kathy,

We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your Clean Out experience this time around. Our new payout structure exists to offer sellers their choice of payment. It is important to note that Consignment prices are left to the discretion of the seller, so the listed earning is based off recommend consignment prices. Our program is not with the intention of making the most money, but rather contributing to a circular economy in a convenient manner. Rather than having to drive to a retail location and go through the process there, our mail in bags offer convenience for all.
susank529
1/31/19

I only received part of my order and they tell me quote, "It says here that the package was delivered on 1/25/19. You should check around your porch and house. Check with your neighbors, and call your local post office." They didn't think I already did that? I only received ONE of the two items I ordered and PAID for. Now they tell me to wait ten more days before contacting customer service again.
SUCH A JOKE!

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Susan,
This inquiry has been handled within our policy. It is standard to wait 10 days in the event that the package is delivered to you. Most times, this is the case and customers receive their order shortly after it is marked as delivered. If you still do not receive your order, follow up with Customer Service, and they can better assist you. Thank you.
garys545
1/26/19

I would give them infinity amount of stars if I only could, this website is go to website is you want to buy or sell secondhand items. I have done both I bought few things and each of them was in a great as described condition I also sold and I am still selling because they pay outright fair price I would say very fair more they pay more then material world ( the material world website should be shot down because they pay almost nothing) crossroads is paying more then material world but less then thredup. Consigning with thredup is a pleasure they pay way more the % amount for sold item is way higher then the The Real Real ( which pays less unless you reach 10,000 in sales but still less then Thredup. I can't thank you enough for a great customer service, amazing customer services, very helpful and you don't have to follow up in order to get your issue resolved. Thank you all for a great customer service

susant465
1/22/19

I started off by donating a bag of just clothing. They were things that I didn't really wear anymore they were still in excellent condition so I tried it out. I sent in about 30 items and they excepted about 10 of those 30 items the rest were just gone by the wayside and they were really nice. I ended up getting about $16, LOL. I should've learned my lesson but then I thought well I have so many purses & Wallets so I'll try this one more time because I'm sure these are going to be worth more as they were all coach bags except for one Louis Vuitton wallet, a Kate Spade wallet, a Lodis wallet and a Victoria's Secret tote. Come to find out they only accepted The Kate Spade wallet, Victoria Secret Tote & Lodis wallet! They stole my Louis Vuitton wallet!!!! Not to mention all the Coach Habdbags!! Here I am thinking I would probably get A pretty good amount from that. No they stole it!! I tried to contact them to ask them why were they not excepted and I would like my items back and they told me no. Said I should've requested a return bag that I would pay for if they didn't except items. They are a rip off!!

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Susan. Thanks for your review. We sent you a private message requesting account information to review your Clean Out acceptance further. Thanks.
maryb997
1/22/19

I sent them bag full of expensive clothes about half with tags still on and omg! I know it's my fault for not doing my research, but I sent in probably $800 worth of items and my guaranteed payout is $40. HUGE MISTAKE!!!!!

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
We're sorry your Clean Out did not go a planned Mary. At thredUP, we aim to be the most convenient way to pass along your unwanted clothing responsibly, which may mean you might not earn as much as if you had sold your item peer-to-peer. Our customer service team is happy to assist if you'd like further information about our payout structure which can be found on our FAQ page: https://bit.ly/2rjNhPx. You can reach our team via thredup.com/contact if you'd like to chat further. Thanks.
kayf68
1/22/19

If you expect to get a fair price for your items this is NOT the company. I sent a box full of gently used items, some with the tag still on thinking I could make a small profit-I was wrongly mistaken. They will offer you 50cents for an item selling for $15.00, it is not worth it unless you are donating clothes. I will never do business with this company again and I don't expect them to last very long. I do not support buying from them either because I know the original owner was not properly compensated. Very misleading, unfair company.

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Kay,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We are sorry to hear you were unsatisfied with your Clean Out kit value. We offer a number of resources for our customers to insure they are well informed before sending us items for processing. You can find our payout percentage and calculate potential earnings using these tools:

Thank you!
kayceeco
1/20/19

Terrible company. Do not do business with them! You are better off going to a consignment store to sell items and then YOU get the tax break. They can take all of your clothes - even if they meet all and *every single one* of their requirements - and just "decide" not to accept them. No reason other than "we decided." Perfectly good designer brand stuff - most of which was New With Tags...and it's "nope!" Then they donate *your* expensive items and take *your* tax break. It's highway robbery. I'll be reporting them to the BBB next for this practice. It's disgusting, and utterly without morals. Worst part? Back in the day when they were a startup brand, they were fair, transparent, and responsive. Now, absolutely none of that is true. Don't buy or sell from them...you have been warned!

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review Kaycee. Thanks for letting us know your recent experience did not go as planned. We always aim to provide as much information about our Clean Out services as possible so sellers like yourself have realistic expectations around what your selling results will be. Our mission is to be THE most convenient and responsible way to pass along your unwanted clothing. While you may be able to earn a little more elsewhere, selling with thredUP means no driving, negotiating with buyers, listing or shipping items, or dealing with rejected pieces. We hope you choose to visit us down the line or reach out to our support team if you have further concerns you'd like to review. Our team is here to help. Thank you.
milanad2
1/19/19

I sent in a bag of clothes, containing a brand new reformation dress. Thred up accepted some random items for a total of $18 refund, and threw away my reformation dress. I followed up with them to see how come I didn't get credit for a new dress and after several days they told me that there were stains on the dress so that's why they sorted it out. This is BS, the dress was worn twice and had no stains on it. Since I didn't select a return option, the dress is gone forever. What a shame. Bad sorting, not reliable.

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review Milana. We are sorry to know your experience with us did not go as expected as our ultimate goal is for everyone to have the most effortless clean out possible. While we do love the brands you sent, our operators must use a variety of tools to accurately identify seemingly minor flaws to ensure shoppers are receiving items that match our quality standards. Information about our strict acceptance standards can be found here: https://bit.ly/2qKfpID. We hope you choose to visit us again down the line.
emilys348
1/19/19

I bought a "goody box" from Thredup - there were 10 items. The retail prices are crazy high. One of the highest was a jewelry brand no longer in existence. "Retail" was $143, thredup was $25. I have seen better items in Target. teeny initial necklace (sure was thrown in as its an E and me name starts with E). One shirt I like BUT was a size 3 and I am a medium/large. Then their was there own brand REMADE which looks like a cheap imitation of the Target brand boyfriend shirt with a creased pocket with a retail of $34 - are you kidding? I was considering sending clothing in but I am too embarrassed to sell with them. The item I liked best is a fold over backpack from Scarleton. NOTE their "retail" is $48, thredup price 30.99 USED. The backpack is on amazon NEW for 29.99 with prime AND on Walmart's website. I usually wear used clothing but am very particular about brands. I love Toms. Kate Spade, Athleta, and more fun casual stuff. This was just a sad mishmash of someone doing the birdbox challenge at Ross or Marshalls.(tried to upload photo didnt work)

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review Emily. We are sorry to hear the Goody Box you received missed the mark. Our Goody Box operators do review the feedback left on a Goody Box return, so please include this information when sending back your items. Regarding pricing, if you ever have concerns about an item listed, please reach out to our support team. Our agents will be able to assist and review the listing further.

Do NOT do NOT do NOT give them your nice clothing. They will STEAL it from you. Things that warrant a good price tag should go to a consignment shop. Those you're willing to sell, use eBay, those you just want to "off load", donate to consignment yourself. You will feel better about it, I promise.

By C F.

I'd love to see a class action suit build against this company. I'm a young professional -- a lawyer, actually (unrelated practice area) -- who is shocked and disappointed by this company's conduct. They're taking advantage of a demographic they think won't speak up. Young women: raise your voices! After having my like-new Diane Von Furstenberg weekender bag disappear into this company, never to be seen again, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. One small step, but it's something! It takes 5 minutes. USE YOUR VOICE!

By Amy S.
Helpful answer -4

Hi Wendy, If you have any specific items in mind it is best to contact support@thredup.com to get an estimate however we have this information posted in the link below: http://support.thredup.com/hc/en-us/articles/203415086-CONSIGNMENT-Everything-you-need-to-know- Essentially, items with a higher MSRP will offer a higher payout on resale. We are always happy to answer any questions that you may have if you reach out to support. We look forward to assisting you.

By Emily M., thredUP Representative

I almost always sell on eBay first. Then when I don't feel like hanging on to the clothes any more and just want my closet space back and they have been on eBay for months, I will send to thredUP. I don't even send in that high end of items and I will usually get $16 and up per bag. So to me, it's a last resort, but I usually can expect something even if it's a little. I LOVE thredUP for buying. Use their upfront calculator to see what items they take. They will say 50 cents to 1.00 per item so it is not hidden info. There is always the return option where you can get your entire bag back for $12.99 as well. Everyone who has nice stuff they'd want back should opt for this method always.

By S S.

They sent me an email and put the money on my thred up account so I can buy something. I was do disgusted I gave up on the whole thing

By Lynne R.

Honestly this company is not choosing to accept a lot of product that could easily be listed. I have sent bags and bags, including valuable pieces.... cashmere sweaters, high end items of considerable retail cost and relatively recently produced. When questioned I am given the response that the items were not in as good a shape as they wanted them to be.. that their buyers should be able to buy perfect product. My take on this is ..... if it's a 200 dollar cashmere sweater and the purchase price is under 10 dollars, a few pills on the fabric should be a non issue!!!! Period. I question what is going on, frankly, as many do. Too much disappears with no explanation, many bags go into complete reject status. I genuinely am concerned that there is a story here and may become apparent after a while. Only time will tell.

By caroline g.

Not worth it unless you have stuff priced over $40 and can get 40%. There percentages are ridiculous for lower priced clothes. You can order return assurance for about $12 but be prepared to get a bag back with your items stuffed in like garbage. They do not even take the time to fold things nicely even though you pay for this service.

By Susan W.

Because they essentially steal your clothes and then sell them for a profit. You get hardly any payout, but they gladly take all your clothes and sell them for a big mark up.

By Allison F.

This company cannot be trusted...stay away. They are bad news.

By Suzanne S.

Ditto above contact company direct, more than likely you will end up feeling ripped off. I stick with likewice.com for selling

By Shanda D.
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other customers.

thredUP?