Review of thredUP

San Francisco, CA 94104, United States
support@thredup.com

laurenw286
12/14/19
I ordered a gift certificate from their website on Dec 2. Gift certificates are delivered via e-mail.
According to them, the e-mails should be instant. I have contacted them no fewer than 5 times to try to get this resolved. As of Dec 11, I still do not have my gift certificate, but my credit card has been charged.
Additionally, their chat function says, "We are online from 6:00am-5:30pm PST. Our next available agent will be with you as soon as possible."
However, when I tried to contact them at 6:45 PST, no one was online.
On my 5th attempt to contact them/get my GC, I was told the only thing that could be done immediately was a refund, and I could try to re-order. I now see my online order status is refunded.
I requested an e-mailed copy of the transcript of my last online chat. The chat that was sent was not complete.
elisabethc36
12/8/19
DO NOT CONSIGN WITH THRED UP, you may as well donate your clothes to people who really need them, because you will never see your items again without paying to have them returned, and you won't see more than about $10 if you're lucky for an entire bag regardless of value. This is how they make money, by ripping you off. They only "select" less than half of clean out bags "generally," and within this statement high end barely used designer items vanish without explanation, no transparency. Probably ending up in the hands of employees checking them off as "unusable" or "unable to sell." Seeing as there are no clearly defined guidelines for their process, anything goes on their end. You are at their mercy, and they are DISHONEST.
lisas1287
12/8/19
This company exploits people. If you send them your items, they'll give you pennies and make $$$. Plus, I've found things for sale on ThredUP that cost less to buy new in the store. The exact same brands. The exact same item. They lie about the estimated value. I bought a bag from them for $20 and it came covered with paint flecks and with loose threads. They sent me a jacket that was sized for sale in China. As in, it was three sizes smaller than the tag would suggest. They also said it'd was "new with tags". Yeah, no tags. Where your money is really going is to influencers. They give them hundreds of dollars in credit to push their business. They're for profit. If you can access local thrift stores, please use them instead. The prices will be cheaper, and if you donate your clothes, at least you'll know you're helping people and not lining someone's pockets. Plus, at some goodwill type stores, people who've lost their homes due to fire or natural disaster or fleeing domestic violence or some other reason can get vouchers from local social services to get clothes at no cost to them.
arielj14
12/2/19
I gave them brand new unworn with tag clothing and they did not accept it, but they accepted a knit beanie my mother in law made! So weird, and if they sell my huge bag of clothing will make me $10 - if they don't sell within a certain amount of time I get nothing. I'm regretting my decision and wishing I had donated to a local thrift store that actually supports a good cause and is not-for-profit.
meganj73
12/2/19
Thieves and shady business practice! I sent a giant bag of name brand clothes, and some brand new shoes, and got less than $2! They don't even return what they decide not to accept. If you read their newly added fine print, they can choose what to "accept" and sell everything else to other companies. That means they will never "accept" anything worth a lot because they can make more selling it elsewhere and they don't have to give you any credit. I would rather donate to a good cause or non-profit than give them money for nothing. They completely mislead anyone who donates. I assumed they would return what they did not accept, which apparently they used to do. I could have sold them for a lot of money elsewhere.
victoriad169
11/29/19
Do yourself a favor, and donate your clothes/shoes to good will! At least you will have peace of mind that your items will go to someone who really needs them! I have sent in numerous clean-out bags to ThredUp and I have made around $15 total. Its a joke! I sent in a beautiful, black puffer juicy couture jacket with NO FLAWS, NO ODOR, NO TEARS, NO RIPS, NO NOTHING and they did not accept it. Why? I don't even know because their customer service team is so awful they give you a BS reason. I sent in BRAND NEW, IN THE BOX Aerosole booties and I received $2!!! The commission you receive is a joke! They will sell your item for $45 and give you less than a dollar!!! It's seriously such a scheme! I will never ever ever consign with Thred Up EVER AGAIN!
annd262
11/28/19
I got about $2 for a perfect condition pair of black market heels. Once your items (EXPIRE)... they receive 100% and you get nothing unless you pay to get items back.
kima365
11/21/19
I would give zero stars if possible. I sent in my bag thinking I would receive a fair commission for the items that they sold. WRONG!! I was luck to get 15% for two item but most of them they gave me way under 10%. Mainly between 3% and 8%. They sold about 10 items for me (total they received was $166.92) and when it was all said and done I got 5 cents. Let me do the math for you. I wanted the items back that they didn't want to keep which cost be $10.99. They sold all but one of my items which gave me a commission of $17.04-10.99 (for the return of the original stuff they didn't want to keep. The one item that they didn't sell could be returned to me but I have to pay to have it returned, $5.99 which now leaves me with 5 cents. Why do I have to pay again to have my items returned when I already paid $10.99. You are better off selling your items on your own or donating them.
nogam
11/21/19
Don't send anything to this site. i have send them a 17 pound of clothing which is designer most of them with tag or never worn. that was in early August of this year. i contact the support, i was told that my box in in transit and on the way to them . that was 3 week later. now we are almost in September. contact them second week of September they told me that they never received the box and may got lost.
However i had the Receipt from USPS and tracking number. i contact USPS and they clearly confirm the the box arrived at 6am to the warehouse on Aug 13. i send them all the information and they said the Fedex said that the box never send. what a jock. it was send USPS not Fedex. the credit me $100 only for over 25 pieces of clothing. I'm filing lawsuit agents them which will cost them more then $100.
Thanks for reading my review.
ninas115
11/21/19
I sent about 10 items that were either brand new with tags or almost brand new. They accepted 7 of the 10. One of the items NOT accepted was a pair of Ugg boots that I wore about four times that were literally brand new. I inspected both boots before I sent them to Thred Up, in the original box with original stuffing and packaging. When I contacted Thred Up, they told me the item had a "small stain" and was rejected. And since I didn't opt to have the items returned, I don't get them back! Why would I opt to have something returned that was in PERFECT condition??? When I called customer service, they told me that I was out of luck. They didn't care, they offered no solution, and were not worried about the negative feedback because they're "so busy".

Someone at Thred Up is wearing my Uggs, I'm sure of it. And from the comments I can see on this site, I bet they're a bunch of well dressed employees over there. I hardly think that my Uggs made it to Goodwill or Salvation Army.
lejuanam
11/19/19
Do NOT use this company to sell your clothes!! Its a ripoff!! I never received any money owed to me and cannot get the items that didnt sell returned to me because I did not tespind in time. (Btw, I worked 85 hours this past week. Thats how I afford my nice clothing. I didnt have time to respond to your emails.) Very poor and unethical business practices!!
ardianas
11/14/19
I am sooooo disappointed in thread up thus time around as they accepted 0 items out of my bag saying "they had an odor". Some of the items I sent were brand new with tags. I have sent clothes other times from the same closet! No odor! But this one? I took it as an offense because my closet does not have an odor, I don't have any mold in the house, and do not believe threadup this time. That's just not true! Very disappointed!
patriciap713
11/13/19
I really like thredup and have made several purchases in the last year. It seems though recently they're not paying close enough attention to the clothing and rating items"like new". I just purchased 16 items of clothing and one skirt was listed like new and was faded and didn't look anything close to New. I also received two dresses that still had tags and where listed brand new but had black ink stain marks on them. Not sure if the ink came from the facility or they were already on the clothing. I'm hoping they're not getting sloppy and really looking at the clothing thoroughly before they list it like new or brand new. They were final sales so I cannot return them.
marym1733
11/12/19
Several years ago I had moderate success selling some very nice clothes through thredUP. Recently though, the experience has been so poor I am compelled to write a review. I sent a bag of very nice clothes and only several items sold for about $2-$3 each, which was ridiculously low. My total payout was $14.77. Previously I could transfer the money to PayPal. Now I have to agree to transfer it via Strip to my checking account. Of course I am NOT going to give my checking account information to an unknown third party working for thredUP whose business model seems to be theft. They can keep the $14.77 - the app is deleted and I will never use them again.
kristaw31
11/12/19
I originally wrote a review and gave thredUP a 1-star review for taking twice the amount of time to send out my Goodybox and then sending a default emailing saying I would get a response in 7-10 business days. But, they didn't take that long to respond. They explained that the Goodybox's are backlogged (I assume it's because it's a fairly new service) and were very nice even though I was pretty upset in my emails. They responded to every email I sent, and when I got my Goodybox it was filled with a lot of things I really liked! Now I'm having trouble figuring out what not to keep. I will definitely do this again. I recommend it.
stephaniej176
11/12/19
I sent Threadup a HUGE bag of designer clothes for consignment. All items were either brand new with tags or like new and flawless (worn once or twice/no loose threads, rips, stains/ no missing size tags). Of the 30-40 items I sent in, somehow only 6 were accepted. Not the brand new MissMe Jeans with tags, or the 'like new' Guess jeans. Not the beautiful Motherhood lace maternity dress (new with tags) or the (like new) Express sequined tank. Not the DKNY slacks. The most ex-pensive brands and newest idems were not accepted. My estimated payout - $11 IF the 6 items sell.

I feel robbed, cheated, scammed, and pissed the $#*! off! When my pregnancy developed complications that my work wouldn't accommodate, I was let go from my jobanks and forced to move in with my parents. A month later, 5 months along, I suffered a late term miscarriage and lost my baby. The only reason I reluctantly parted with some of my favorite brand-name clothes is because I needed the money.

Had I researched Threadup more beforehand, I might have seen that they have 300+ complaints filed against them with BBB and thought twice before shipping off half of my wardrobe.
carolinel104
11/10/19
I sent a donation bag with items that were not good to sell, and a selling bag with 3 dresses. The 3 dresses were in really good condition, 1 of them was a brand dress.
The 2 non-brand dresses sold, but the payout Thredup is giving me is... 0,98$ TOTAL. Which is actually not even enough to be paid through Paypal. So am I supposed to buy something on the website with a 1$ discount? Whoaw.
I read carefully the selling and payout conditions before I sent my bag of course, but the payout I obtained was way inferior to what I was expecting when reading the conditions. According to me it is completely misleading. Also my 3rd dress has not been sold, and now in order to reclaim it I have to pay twice more money than the payout Thredup would have given me. It is actually very sad and frustrating. Well enjoy my beautiful dress for free.

The whole thing is ridiculous, just give your items to charity instead of allowing Thredupto make profits on your back. Or sell them yourself. For me it is a scam, I will never ever sell or buy anything again on this website.
paulac414
11/8/19
Such a disappointment! Sent in 14 items, all of which 12 sold. Got a whopping 11.30 for all that! Some items still had tags on them. What bothered me most was how much my items sold for vs what my payout was. Clearly they are making tons of money! Then, had problems when I tried to cash out. They were unresponsive to my emails. Finally got it straightened out with Stripe. Will NEVER use thredup again. I should have donated my clothes!
karenb1136
11/7/19
I've been sending clean out bags for years. I never expected to make money, but when the company first started a seller had the option to accept a payout upfront. Most of my items were accepted- Ann Taylor, WHBM, Talbots, Banana Republic, etc. I received decent payments. I recently sent another bag with a nice purse which was placed on consignment- I was warned the selling period was expiring and tried to get it back, but that proved impossible. I chocked it up to one bad customer service experience. The most recent bag I sent in was timely received ( I expect a month to process it.). My notification stated that NOW, everything they accept will be sold on consignment and you'll lose it after 60 days if it hasn't been sold.You will get nothing, not event pennies on the dollar. No upfront payouts anymore. . And after the other reviews i've seen, I am now convinced this company is engaging in outright theft. The constantly changing payout structures, the failure to "accept" most items that are in good shape, and the absence of customer service are signs of a business in trouble. I won't be doing business with them again.
cs632
11/7/19
They took 30 days to ship my goody box. I complained about it and tried to cancel, but they then responded that it was too late because it had shipped. When I received it, the clothese were just thrown in there under the "tissue wrap"....not folded nicely and the clothes were all extremely UGLY! I returned all but one of the tops and then when my credit card bill came, they charged me for a sweater that I did NOT keep! I sent them another message 3 days ago demanding credit and NO RESPONSE. DO NOT SHOP THIS COMPANY!!
salomec2
11/6/19
I bought stuff they said were like brand new, but when they arrived, some of the items had holes in them!! What brand new items as holes!? Now I have to go get them repair... I'm a little pissed off
anamikas9
11/5/19
I ordered some products and paid the amount at the same time but my order did not received yet after I called several times to the customer service but no one is responding and refund not received yet. totally fake I'd and fake people. Dont try to use this fake app
martah4
11/4/19
I didn't buy anything or plan to do so. If you want to do that, it is up to you, and you will find bargains. I was interested in selling as I do locally with consignment stores. It represented itself as a consignment store and listed an array of nicer clothing manufacturers, so I thought why not make a little mad money? Well, you really don't. They seem to have a low sliding scale. They took an unworn, tagged top that cost more than $100 and priced it at $13. It is not really what Good Will or a place like that does, which is to have a set price on items, regardless of brand--like $3 for a blouse. Once I saw what was going on, I tried in vain to stop it. You get cut off on the toll-free line, which seems to be quite limited. There is no chat. Email is backed up for weeks. I feel like I have been raped. Someone is making a lot of money off donated clothes and laughing all the way to the bank. These clothes could make their way to worthy thrift stores that actually help people and animals in need. I find this entire enterprise disgusting, immoral and unethical.

Tip for consumers: I would not. If they are encouraging people to donate items and not treating them fairly, then how can you expect them to treat a buyer well.

heatherr246
11/3/19
Out of the $300 I purchased from them, I maybe kept 4 items, so about $20 worth. Then I had to pay a 2.99 fee for each item returned AND shipping. I thought ok maybe it would be worth it to return the items in the clean out bag along with ALOT of other clothes. Note that about 50% of the bag was brand new clothes, with tags on and ALL brand names. I sent in 2 bags full, probably about another $300 worth, along with some of the clothes I returned (I had two orders and already returned and bought more). So out of maybe $400-$450 they want to credit me $30 freaking dollars!!!!!!!!!! And now it's their property so they wont return it. F***in ridiculous!!! I could not tell you how mad I am and how much they are ripping people off. Especially the brand new items I could've just returned to the store for store credit. Never again with this ridiculous store!!!
jeannel223
11/1/19
I was excited to try it out. So I created my profile and sent them my $10. When my order arrived 12 hours before I was to leave town for 2 weeks, I hastily sent an email asking them to advise me as to whether they would extend the 7-day try-on-and-return period, or if I should simply return the package immediately, unopened. I received a canned response saying they would get back to me in 7-10 days! Then I heard nothing for 12 more days when I received another canned email advising me to either use their 'chat' service or send another email. I sent another email asking whether they would prefer that I return the entire box, or allow me to try out some of the items and return the unwanted items. Five days passed before I received an email from Malisa re-iterating their 7-day return policy and advising me that "Any items returned will be subject to a $3 late fee and the remaining amount will be issued to your card on file."
I'll return the entire box un-opened and dispute all charges with my bank. They lost this customer!!

Tip for consumers: Ensure that your order will be delivered when you can expect to be home for sufficient time to try on all items and return unwanted items before end of 7 day limit.

If your clothes are name-brand and in good condition you will not get what they're worth from thredUP. Find a consignment store or go on eBay and sell them yourself. I wish I'd given mine to charity, no need to fill thredUPs pockets.

By Sarah P.

I'd love to see a class action suit build against this company. I'm a young professional -- a lawyer, actually (unrelated practice area) -- who is shocked and disappointed by this company's conduct. They're taking advantage of a demographic they think won't speak up. Young women: raise your voices! After having my like-new Diane Von Furstenberg weekender bag disappear into this company, never to be seen again, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. One small step, but it's something! It takes 5 minutes. USE YOUR VOICE!

By Amy S.
Helpful answer -4

Hi Wendy, If you have any specific items in mind it is best to contact support@thredup.com to get an estimate however we have this information posted in the link below: http://support.thredup.com/hc/en-us/articles/203415086-CONSIGNMENT-Everything-you-need-to-know- Essentially, items with a higher MSRP will offer a higher payout on resale. We are always happy to answer any questions that you may have if you reach out to support. We look forward to assisting you.

By thredUP -., thredUP Representative

Of course buyers are satisfied. They are getting other peoples' brand-name, like-new clothes that has been stolen by ThredUp. Buying from ThredUp just supports their dishonest and shady business practice.

By Allison F.

I almost always sell on eBay first. Then when I don't feel like hanging on to the clothes any more and just want my closet space back and they have been on eBay for months, I will send to thredUP. I don't even send in that high end of items and I will usually get $16 and up per bag. So to me, it's a last resort, but I usually can expect something even if it's a little. I LOVE thredUP for buying. Use their upfront calculator to see what items they take. They will say 50 cents to 1.00 per item so it is not hidden info. There is always the return option where you can get your entire bag back for $12.99 as well. Everyone who has nice stuff they'd want back should opt for this method always.

By S S.

Because they essentially steal your clothes and then sell them for a profit. You get hardly any payout, but they gladly take all your clothes and sell them for a big mark up.

By Allison F.

They sent me an email and put the money on my thred up account so I can buy something. I was do disgusted I gave up on the whole thing

By Lynne R.

Honestly this company is not choosing to accept a lot of product that could easily be listed. I have sent bags and bags, including valuable pieces.... cashmere sweaters, high end items of considerable retail cost and relatively recently produced. When questioned I am given the response that the items were not in as good a shape as they wanted them to be.. that their buyers should be able to buy perfect product. My take on this is ..... if it's a 200 dollar cashmere sweater and the purchase price is under 10 dollars, a few pills on the fabric should be a non issue!!!! Period. I question what is going on, frankly, as many do. Too much disappears with no explanation, many bags go into complete reject status. I genuinely am concerned that there is a story here and may become apparent after a while. Only time will tell.

By caroline g.

Not worth it unless you have stuff priced over $40 and can get 40%. There percentages are ridiculous for lower priced clothes. You can order return assurance for about $12 but be prepared to get a bag back with your items stuffed in like garbage. They do not even take the time to fold things nicely even though you pay for this service.

By Susan W.

This company cannot be trusted...stay away. They are bad news.

By Suzanne S.
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other customers.

thredUP?