Review of thredUP

San Francisco, CA 94104, United States
support@thredup.com

jjm51
10/13/19

The clothes I've received are just ok. The ones with tags are new, but the ones that are "like new, you'll mistake them for brand new" are quite visible worn. Their referral program is a joke. I never got my $10 for referring and the people I've referred to, never received their $10 either. Their "chat" is NEVER available, and their responses by email take FOREVER, and they do NOT answer the question, like they are not paying attention to the actual question. I couldn't redeem my $10 for referral, so they sent my a "code", which didn't work either. Now, I have to wait another eternity to hear back from them. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! Oh, and I send a huge bag of great clothes over a month ago to them, and still waiting to hear back on whether or how much they'll give me for them. What a scam.

nancyr402
10/12/19

This is my first time ordering and I received a child size 14 not an adult 14. Would not order again.

cynthias340
10/6/19

I sent several bags of items to be sold. I paid the EXTRA price to have my items returned. Several items weren't listed for sale and they were NEVER returned. Sent detailed description emails indicating that I wanted those items returned and they have all been ignored. My advice... sell your items elsewhere if you don't want them stolen!!!

mandyd40
10/4/19

I sent in a bag of costly clothes and they accepted everything. Before I even approved the prices most of my items were sold and my commission was fr $2-$6 on items I should have sold on Poshmark and actually made a profit. I understand they do all the work but you get NOTHING for your items and You can't get them back once they are sold. What a rip off to sellers. Not worth your time unless you were planning on donating or them. I could have made more selling at a garage sale! I feel like they stole my items when it comes down to it! Horrible!!!

lilad7
10/3/19

You'll end up paying a lot extra for shipping, really the only major con to this company.You'll end up paying a lot extra for shipping, really the only major con to this company.You'll end up paying a lot extra for shipping, really the only major con to this company.

breannec2
10/1/19

They advertise items, that are non refundable mind you, as in excellent condition, may even be mistaken as new... Holes! Freaking not one but two holes and the bag was full of candy wrappers.

civilr2
10/1/19

Customer service isn't great, I sent in some high end brand name clothes a month ago and never got credit or had it processed. After reading these horror stories, I won't continue. It is good in theory but poorly executed and just a miss. I was hoping to trade in my clothes to buy new ones. Fail. I have a heap of clothes waiting to send in more, never even got a new clean out kit requested weeks ago. I'm just going to look into local consignment shops. I'm unhappy with Thredup. Not continuing on. Would not recommend

jj382
10/1/19

Based On A Sale Promotion,* I Ordered 7-10 NEW Dresses From this Website At What I believed To be A Great Deal, however My order Was Changed And not only Did I Received items That I DIDN'T Actually Order, The items Arrived In Need Of Drycleaning/Dirty/Smelly, etc.. , Which Is Illegal btw to Sell Garments That Violate STANDARD Healthcode laws especially As The Condition on Each Dress I Ordered Was Either New With Tags OR New without Tags, So NO Worn, Dirty, Odorous Is Clearly NOT how NEW Garments Are Shipped.. And As stated in the title of this review, 'NO, This Scam Site Isn't Quality Couture Discount Shopping At ALL! (Total RipOff!!) "

Grade: F- / ZeroStars for The !Gross! Experience. *Shame on All Such unethical Practices! *But, Fortunately the Police Report And Paypal Corporate Customer Service Ensured A Full Refund.. If you Are Looking For A Safe Shopping Experience make Sure There Is A buyers/Consumer Protection Policy In Place BEFORE buying So you Can Get Your Refund As If Necessary... *2019 cc. JJ & KCR.

jennyl190
9/30/19

I traded in a bag of clothes for the first time to thredUP and received $60 upfront payout, no consignment items. I was pretty happy with that so I sent them a second bag with brands like madewell, free people, NWT J Crew, Lularoe, Topshop, ASOS, Ann Taylor... they gave me a $0 upfront payout and consigned not even half of my trade in... I got $10 for my items after a month!!!! WTF thredUP! I think this is a tactic they do, give you a nice payout your first bag and screw you after that. I could have sold this stuff on poshmark myself and got AT LEAST $300. I was hoping to get $60 again, I feel like they seriously scammed me. $10 is a slap in the face. Glad I didn't send in my huge lot of Eileen Fisher, that's going on poshmark.

traceyw80
9/29/19

Well, this started out a great place to get rid of all the unworn clothing in my closet. I felt if you haven't worn the item in a year, it's likely you will never wear it. First few cleanouts were okay, made a bit of money...hey its consignment so I didn't expect to make a mint. However, I am now on my 3rd cleanout and as always every single item brand new, what can I say, I am a shopaholic. So far, I have made $10 on at least 13 items, I'm talking brand new Sam Edelman suede slingbacks, beautiful shoe! Ralph Lauren high heel boots...smh. Guess-ZARA-Ann Taylor to name a few....UNREAL...$10. When I say I will never waste my time or beautiful clothing AGAIN on ThredUP. Sellers Beware! Stick to eBay or the like!

jazzyk1
9/28/19

I sent $1000 of brand new organic clothing. Was paid $26. After 2 weeks of waiting for responses, I was informed my items were sold and the rest of the bag was donated. DON'T USE THEM!

natalieh114
9/28/19

I wish I would've found these reviews before sending my bag of clothes in!! Out of my bag only 5 items were being sold and the rest were not acceptable! I had some Stride Rite shoes that were in great condition and were not even up to their so called standards! What's worse is I am unable to get someone to communicate with me on my bag! I will never use this company ever again! I wish there was a lawsuit against like another post mentioned. Please do not send your clothes in!!

maggiem168
9/27/19

Shipping is slower than if I walked the purchased cross country. Does management not pay attention to what is going on in the world with speedy delivery? My items shipped over a week ago and still not here. I will never buy from them again especially after reading that people shipped them items to sell and the basically stole from these people

shannonr165
9/27/19

I wasn't able to change my shipping address even though it shows as changed in my account info section. Once you hit the purchase button you can see the shipping address, but prior to that you can't. So shipped to old address.

michellep478
9/24/19

Beware of this site, it is a total scam. They are clearly stealing clothing from honest people trying to consciously clean out their closets. Their rules posted on their site are not being followed. They are selling low quality items and rejecting the higher quality, name brand items with tags still on them. They do not have to provide a reason for rejecting items so they have real incentive to steal: that is clearly what is happening here! I believe anyone that has been taken advantage of by this company should ban together for a class action lawsuit. They must stealing millions of dollars from honest people. The worst part is, the clothes would otherwise go to people in need and now they are going to a shady corporation.

robinc256
9/22/19

there is no oversight with this company. they could say they are donating items to charity and then take them home or sell them on ebay (they sell on there too). I sent in some really nice condition designer bags (like MK, etc) a few orders ago and one bag had the tags on it and they said they donated it to charity. i dont believe that for a second. I think this company is a scam. They changed the payout system so now everything is on consignment, you cant get paid out so you can wait 6-8 weeks to get $15 and plus have to bring your clean out kit to the PO. waste of time. I will never use them again. I got .65 for a beautiful coach poppy bucket bag. ridiculous. i would have donated it to charity myself.

carolyns401
9/20/19

I sent four bags of clothing. They accepted very few items even though the items were in excellent and new condition. I understand all that since I have consigned for many years. But the stunner is that they sent me a Discover gift card for the items they kept which is bogus and cannot be activated. Sounds alarmingly like fraud.

christyc115
9/19/19

I sent a bag of barely worn, mostly name brand clothing. They accepted 31% and frankly, the least valuable of all the clothes. I had a brand new Brooks brothers blouse and skirt, new blazer, new dressy coat (still had tags) from Ann Taylor....all of those were rejected? I will never send noce clothes there to sell again...seems they keep them for greater profit elsewhere.

michelem349
9/18/19

I have been a customer of Thredup for a few years through their growth. As with most great startups the beginning was full of accurate descriptions, quality clothing, and fast shipping. In 2019 I feel they have become a victim of their own success. A larger team with multiple warehouse shipping sites has diluted the overall product. My most recent purchase included a skirt with pet hair all over it and many "like new" items that were clearly well worn. That was it for me...I have to officially take my business elsewhere. If a company of this size cannot dedicate sufficient time to quality control it is a downward spiral from there.
Was truly sorry to have to write this review. I had high hopes for a continued relationship with the company.

joanneg17
9/17/19

Sellers get very little for their items, postage is very expensive for a seller, if it's too expensive to return your unsold items they can keep the clothing. Not worth it,

brookeh77
9/16/19

This place is a JOKE. like so many other reviews, I sent in designer items and it's a joke how little I received in return for the items that have sold. I started selling on Poshmark and have already made sooooo much more money selling only TWO items. I sent ThredUP two full bags of designer clothes. Where are the clothes that were in perfect condition? Why are those not listed for sale? Where did they go? I feel like they stole my clothes for their own profit. DO JOT SEND YOUR CLOTHES TO THREDUP. If you want to make some actual money, sell on Poshmark or similar sites. So worth it. ThredUP is trash.

stephaniem650
9/13/19

I ordered pants in 4X and 28, they came in in super tiny sizes!!! They don't have a customer service number to call, the messaging center sent me to email and when I FINALLY found a return section in my account they are trying to charge men$1.99 restock fee PER item on top of not giving me a full refund for what I paid! Attached is the receipt sent to my email and what they are trying to refund me on the website. What makes this worse is that I really needed these items befornan important conference next week. I paid $14 extra to have them sent in 3 days and there is no way to replace or get my kk way back in time! This is ridiculous!

katep104
9/13/19

i sent them one box a few months ago, an assortment of fancy shoes i'd bought for weddings and never worn again (Cole Haan heels, Camper sandals) and some Madewell sweaters. i was moving, so i just wanted to get rid of things fast. maybe $700 worth of clothing new, but they were used, so when they gave me $60 credit for no work, I was happy. i then sent them another bag that included a mix of Jcrew and Loft buttondown shirts (i was fine with getting only a buck or two for each) and a $500 twice-worn perfect condition lux brand jacket -- from one of the brands that they claim they give an 80% payout for. well, mysteriously, they accepted all the more-worn shirts (and offered me between 10-70 cents each) and "rejected" without comment the $500 lux brand perfect condition coat. when they reject something, allegedly they donate or destroy it. i emailed them to ask what happened, as this was a very expensive coat in perfect condition (that just didn't fit me) and 3 weeks later i still have not received a response. after looking around online, i see this is what they do: they "reject" the actually valuable items so that they can make a better profit elsewhere. i wish i'd just donated it.

valeriet88
9/13/19

Great prices but if you need to return anything, you'll find the process is far from customer friendly. It cost me $5.00 to return a $21.00 dress. They never sent a receipt with the dress and are now refusing to refund me.

alexandriaw14
9/8/19

While about 80% of my orders have been new or like new looking as described some were not. For example, a pair of $30.00 gloves appeared used with the lining full of pilling. Also, some of the clothes did have a musty smell. Overall, the site is okay but I'm not too likely to reorder as I was very disappointed after getting the worn out looking gloves and clothes that smelled like they were kept in a stuffy old chest. Wish I had not placed the last order.

If your clothes are name-brand and in good condition you will not get what they're worth from thredUP. Find a consignment store or go on eBay and sell them yourself. I wish I'd given mine to charity, no need to fill thredUPs pockets.

By Sarah P.

I'd love to see a class action suit build against this company. I'm a young professional -- a lawyer, actually (unrelated practice area) -- who is shocked and disappointed by this company's conduct. They're taking advantage of a demographic they think won't speak up. Young women: raise your voices! After having my like-new Diane Von Furstenberg weekender bag disappear into this company, never to be seen again, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. One small step, but it's something! It takes 5 minutes. USE YOUR VOICE!

By Amy S.
Helpful answer -4

Hi Wendy, If you have any specific items in mind it is best to contact support@thredup.com to get an estimate however we have this information posted in the link below: http://support.thredup.com/hc/en-us/articles/203415086-CONSIGNMENT-Everything-you-need-to-know- Essentially, items with a higher MSRP will offer a higher payout on resale. We are always happy to answer any questions that you may have if you reach out to support. We look forward to assisting you.

By thredUP -., thredUP Representative

Of course buyers are satisfied. They are getting other peoples' brand-name, like-new clothes that has been stolen by ThredUp. Buying from ThredUp just supports their dishonest and shady business practice.

By Allison F.

I almost always sell on eBay first. Then when I don't feel like hanging on to the clothes any more and just want my closet space back and they have been on eBay for months, I will send to thredUP. I don't even send in that high end of items and I will usually get $16 and up per bag. So to me, it's a last resort, but I usually can expect something even if it's a little. I LOVE thredUP for buying. Use their upfront calculator to see what items they take. They will say 50 cents to 1.00 per item so it is not hidden info. There is always the return option where you can get your entire bag back for $12.99 as well. Everyone who has nice stuff they'd want back should opt for this method always.

By S S.

Because they essentially steal your clothes and then sell them for a profit. You get hardly any payout, but they gladly take all your clothes and sell them for a big mark up.

By Allison F.

They sent me an email and put the money on my thred up account so I can buy something. I was do disgusted I gave up on the whole thing

By Lynne R.

Honestly this company is not choosing to accept a lot of product that could easily be listed. I have sent bags and bags, including valuable pieces.... cashmere sweaters, high end items of considerable retail cost and relatively recently produced. When questioned I am given the response that the items were not in as good a shape as they wanted them to be.. that their buyers should be able to buy perfect product. My take on this is ..... if it's a 200 dollar cashmere sweater and the purchase price is under 10 dollars, a few pills on the fabric should be a non issue!!!! Period. I question what is going on, frankly, as many do. Too much disappears with no explanation, many bags go into complete reject status. I genuinely am concerned that there is a story here and may become apparent after a while. Only time will tell.

By caroline g.

Not worth it unless you have stuff priced over $40 and can get 40%. There percentages are ridiculous for lower priced clothes. You can order return assurance for about $12 but be prepared to get a bag back with your items stuffed in like garbage. They do not even take the time to fold things nicely even though you pay for this service.

By Susan W.

This company cannot be trusted...stay away. They are bad news.

By Suzanne S.
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other customers.

thredUP?