thredUP

2019 CUSTOMER CHOICE AWARD

thredUP has a consumer rating of 3.25 stars from 5,180 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. thredUP also ranks 1st among Used Clothing sites.

This company responds to reviews on average within 15 days

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 10.5%

• I sent an email to their customer service only to be told that there was nothing that could be done.
  • Items that are still in great shape but dont meet the thredUP standards are sold to third party sellers."
  • They are making money off of the clothes they DO NOT accept.
How would you rate thredUP?

“Thredup rate”

Rebecca G.
8/3/20

Packages arrived very quick and in good order. I am very pleased with my purchases. This is the second time I have ordered from thredup. Both times I've ordered have been a quick delivery date. That impressed me in that I know thredup cares about when I get the order instead of it lingering in the mail.

“Thred Up - Thumbs Down!”

Jennifer C.
3/22/20

Don't waste your time if you think you're going to make any money. I honestly feel like I should've just thrown my stuff away instead of Thred Up insulting me with a ridiculous payout of $0 for a brand new (never used) Coach wristlet (which they had listed as gently used)! Then charging $10 to return clothing they don't like, so I end up making ZERO dollars. I could've thrown it in the garbage and felt better about it - rather than feeling like I got scammed!

Reviews (5,180)

customer service (431) items (2160) clothes (1676) bag (1390) store credit (114) consignment shop (104) clothing (945) consignment store (89) name brand (224) return policy (62) quality items (48) restocking fee (54)
jenniferc1361
March 22nd, 2020
Don't waste your time if you think you're going to make any money.
roneaa
July 22nd, 2020
I recently purchased a faux leather jacket from thred up and as I was searching the pockets I found a pair of unwashed women's panties! I'm totally disappointed and disgusted by this! How can they not have someone who checks the items before sending them out! They have just lost a customer!
thredUP -. – thredUP Rep
Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention, Ronea. We are really sorry to hear that you received the jacket you purchased in this condition. Our team closely inspects every item that gets sent to customers, and we apologize for any oversights on our end. Please reach out to our Customer Support team via thredUP.com/contact with your order number, we'll be happy to provide you with a good resolution to this.
janb291
February 18th, 2020
I sent a clean out bag in (as I have done before), received an acknowledgment that it was being processed. After a few weeks go by a receive a thank you for your donation from thredup. I am shocked by this as some of the items included in my clean out bag were brand named with tags. I sent an email to their customer service only to be told that there was nothing that could be done. I'm very upset over this and will not recommend or use thredup again.
Jan B
cheryls478
January 25th, 2020
Thredup is terrible... Still have not received payout for clothing... Don't do business with this company they're horrible... You would come out better by giving your clothing away... 200.00 dollars worth of clothing... When they do decide to payout. I will receive, (4.24)... Stay away from this place.
pattic85
January 29th, 2020
I have a few issues with a Threadup. First I sent a bag of really nice items and according to tracking it was received January 2. According to their website things are gone through and uploaded within two weeks, no such luck it's still sitting waiting to be gone through. According to customer service they're very busy at this time False advertising. I sent a return in over three weeks ago and have still yet to credit my account. I am much more satisfied with Swap.com
carolynd163
January 11th, 2020
Hello
I chose the option that they keep the unaccepted items. I documented all my items prior to sending them. It was AMAZING that they did not accept my designer items. Their policy is "unaccepted items were distributed to various organizations, wholesalers, thrifting companies, and charities who distribute this clothing, resell, and recycle." They are making money off of the clothes they DO NOT accept. Thieves!
barbaras1515
Verified purchase
The 2 pieces matched perfectly even though they were from different manufacturers. The condition was very accurate as "like new". I'm very pleased with my purchase!
thredUP -. – thredUP Rep
It's great to know that the items you bought matched perfectly, Barbara! Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.
gaild105
December 20th, 2019
I sent 3 bags of clothing in July. Many designer clothing. Over $5000.
No tax write off. No money to me. O correspondence, Can't call. No one answers me.
Totally disgusted with trying... Stay away from this place.
michelet151
July 31st, 2020
Verified purchase
Very satisfied with the two dresses I have bought. The experience was easy, great service.
thredUP -. – thredUP Rep
It's great to hear you enjoyed the dresses you bought, Michele! We hope yo have you back soon, happy shopping!
tobyc69
July 20th, 2020
Don't waste your time selling anything on this website, they take your items takes over 3 months to process the only lists about 10 items and even though everything sent was is like new condition or new with tags. I am so upset how this was handled. Customer service is non existent. No phone number to call they ignore emails.
thredUP -. – thredUP Rep
Hi Toby, We accept as many items as possible from Clean Out Kits, in fact, we wish we could accept more. Due to our strict quality standards and in an effort to keep our inventory balanced, we can only accept around 40% of the items that we receive. The rest are responsibly reused or recycled. For future reference, if you would like to take back your rejected items, you can opt into Return Assurance before you send your kit. For a $10.99 fee, we’ll ship all your unaccepted items back to you. Also, we have assisted you with your inquiries directly, and if you are still needing assistance, please reach out to us through live chat at thredUP.com/contact. We are available Monday to Friday from 6 AM to 5:30 PM PDT.
angryc90
June 24th, 2020
I send them a kit and two months later it is still not processed they kept pushing back the processing date of my kit by a month. This happened three times. I messaged them multiple times requesting my items back and never got a single response. Honestly, your better off going to Plato's Closet at least they have real customer service. They are lucky to receive one star.
rebeccag453
thredUP -. – thredUP Rep
We're glad to hear that you had a good experience in both times you purchased products with us, Rebecca. We truly care about when you get the order, and also how! We're excited to have you shopping with us again soon!
lindad990
Verified purchase
Received in a timely fashion, packaged and presented well. Will definitely use again.
thredUP -. – thredUP Rep
Thank you so much for your kind words, Linda. We are so thrilled to hear that you were satisfied with your order and that you plan to shop with us again!
elenaw42
July 20th, 2020
The only time I ever returned something was a defective pair of sneakers. There was no purchase history on their website so I could not print a return label. There is no way to contact thredUP for help - no phone number, no chat so I had to do exhaustive searching to return the shoes within their 14-day policy. After i finally found an email address there was reluctance to refund my money. They said they would do it once "as a courtesy" even though it was their own fault for the confusion due to their website not working properly
thredUP -. – thredUP Rep
Hi Elena. Our team strives to only accept items that meet our strict quality standards, and we apologize for any oversights on our end regarding the item you received, and the experience to initiate a return. We are glad to confirm that a resolution provided for your inquiry. For future reference, our current chat hours are Monday to Friday 6:00 AM to 5:30 PM PST. Also, more information about how our Returns work can be found on our FAQ here: https://help.thredup.com/en_us/categories/order-returns-SJDweIVaN.
cato6
July 6th, 2020
• Updated review
Here is the Up Date to my experience with Thred Up. After my June 12th Site Jabber Review my clothes suddenly appeared at my front door on June 16th 2020 around 6 p.m. delivered by a DHL truck. I am starting to doubt that they even left the state of Washington. The clothes are undamaged and all accounted for. But it was a terrible experience for both myself and my wallet. I also believe that I was discriminated against due to my age--62. Thred Up has "questionnaire" asking your age hidden in it. I think that too many of these consignment shops over all judge the customer by age. Another one did this to me way back in 2006--Plato's Closet. I submitted hipster new garments only to have them rejected. Then my teenage daughter went in with the SAME garments a week later... and... yep they took them.
thredUP -. – thredUP Rep
Hi Cat, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We're truly sorry that your Clean Out experience didn't turn out as planned and for any disappointment that was caused.

When looking at your account we can see that your Clean Out Kit was received at our facility & was then returned back to you per your request. At this time, we are experiencing Clean Out Kit processing delays due to precautions we are taking for COVID-19 to keep our teams safe. In regards to the questionnaire that was completed - this is standard for our Goody Box service so that our stylists can get to know our customer's style a bit better. Goody Boxes are handpicked to fit your size, style, and budget.

We hope you might give our Clean Out service another try somewhere down the line! If there is anything else we can help you with at this time please feel free to chat us over at thredUP.com/contact.
I fear my clothes have been "taken"...
June 12th, 2020
• Previous review
Sent my Kit Bag on March 21st, 2020 and they still haven't processed it. What makes it worst is that I signed up for Return Assurance--and they "claimed" that I didn't have it on my account when I ordered my kit--they "reverse this" after I told them that I have photographs (which I will send to the Attorney's Generals Office Office of Consumer Affairs). I think that they used the corona virus ordeal to simply "take" my garments--and then sent me repeated emails trying to get me to "donate" my clothing. They keep using my process date back and have not returned my garments to me. These were expensive items new never worn, less than three years old, in season Spring and Summer. Clothes bought at Macy's. They were in immaculate condition.

Tip for consumers: Skip ThredUp. there are plenty of local consignment shops that anyone could do business with.

karenr1138
Verified purchase
Pleased with colors, styles, and fit; kept nearly the whole box! Easy to return as well
thredUP -. – thredUP Rep
We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your Goody Box picks, Karen! We look forward to curating more boxes for you soon. :)
jenniferd1103
Verified purchase
I LOVED EVERY ITEM! The website was easy to sort and filter by sizes and i only had to see things that would fit me, that wss the best part
thredUP -. – thredUP Rep
We're happy to hear you loved your items and that you found the site easy to use, Jennifer! We look forward to having you shop with us again!
lauraa527
Verified purchase
It was time consuming to read the description, measurements, sizes and all but worth it in the end. I have been recommending family & friends!
thredUP -. – thredUP Rep
Hi Laura, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We know that with millions of items available, checking the items' details can take a while, but we're happy to hear that it was worth it!
elizabeths354
June 12th, 2020
Returns take over a month to get credit. I've had items I returned as far back as March 8,2020 and still no credit. Also, when shopping numerous errors and $1.99 fee to return. Absolutely no way to contact customer service, no email, no phone, no chat.
stephaniew555
Verified purchase
The quality of the clothes I purchased was matched only by the quality of customer service I received. I have and will continue to recommend shopping here.
thredUP -. – thredUP Rep
We truly appreciate your feedback, Stephanie. We're happy to hear that you were satisfied with both the quality of the clothes you received and by our customer service!
lauz
December 30th, 2019
After carefully purging my kids stuffed closets of brand new and very gently used name brand name clothing, shoes and hats only a few items were posted. A brand new Patagonia jacket with tags still on was never registered as two almost new Abercrombie coats among other very gently used Justice dresses and Under Armer clothing. The contact number doesn't have a live person picking up and the email contact is just an automated response. I feel completely ripped off and taken advantage of. Do yourself a favor donate your good clothing locally or sell on the Let Go App yourself.

Tip for consumers: Do not use Thred Up. I feel completely robbed.

judahd5
August 14th, 2020
I love shopping in consignment stores. I been doing it for many years. I heard about thredup from an influencer that I trust very much. I was so disappointed with this company. First off, it's like what you ordered they don't even care about. I ordered one size and I got multiple sizes. (Smaller sizes), then, pieces of my dresses were missing. Description says all pieces included but it doesn't, when I asked for the actual pieces I wanted I had 3 people reach out asking what happened. No one cares about actually helping. I will never order, or refer anyone. Worst first time experience ever a waste of $200
thredUP -. – thredUP Rep
Hi Judah, thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're really sorry to hear that you didn't have a great experience with your first order, and please be assured that we care about your satisfaction. Please send us an email to reviews@thredup.com with more details about your inquiry and the order number, we'll gladly assist you better from there.
lisah837
October 19th, 2019
After hearing wonderful things about thredUP, I decided to give it a shot with a closet cleanup kit. Sent in over $1,000 worth of designer label items in VERY Good condition and received an email back they accepted only one item. Worst part is my other items were sold to a consolidator or some other third party even after I registered to have them returned. SCAM... you bet. No wonder they are claiming to be successful. Don't waste your time.
lize92
February 19th, 2020
First, the measuring and listing they do is way off. Measurements were inaccurate, high waist pants were listed as "super low" etc.
Second. You will only get a few pennies credit for what you send in.
Third, the clothes you buy are REALLY used. "Mistake for new" is more like a "fair" condition.
Overall, not worth the hassle.
jeanettea46
July 10th, 2020
To buy isn't bad but to sell! I sent in brand name shoes, dresses and jackets. Whoopee I purchased these items for over $100.00 they were never worn because I went from a small to med I sent a leather jacket, the tag, still on it was $129.00 I got a dollar and a few cents. One unworn dress, still tagged. 1.00, one that sold yester,. 27, yes,. Twenty seven cents. From now on, I will donate my clothes. A Calvin Klein dress should have sold for more than to give me a dollar and change, especially considering none of these clothes were ever worn and to pay $10.99 to get my own clothes Bach is ridiculous!
I can't wait to see if my review is posted considering it's negative, it would be less than one star if possible. The only positive thing is some women got some beautiful never worn dresses at what I hope is an extremely good price.
thredUP -. – thredUP Rep
We apologize if our payout amounts have been lower than expected for the items you sent, Jeanette. We recommend thredUP to sellers who are looking for convenience and want to easily resell items they no longer wish to keep. We authenticate, list, photograph, house, and ship your items for you - all of that generates considerable costs on our end, resulting in payouts that reflect that.
It's always our hope to be as transparent as possible surrounding how much sellers can make with thredUP when they explore the possibility of cleaning out with us. For the most up to date info on how we payout please visit thredUP.com/payouts.

If you have any questions or would like to chat further please reach out via thredUP.com/contact.

Don't bother. I got 80 cents for a whole bag of good condition name brand clothes.

By Rebecca B.
See more answers (49)

I've actually emailed their customer service to show them how many negative reviews there were on this site and they did not care at all. They just quoted their policies. I'm sure they will go bankrupt soon enough...

By Brittany W.
See more answers (20)

Hi Wendy, If you have any specific items in mind it is best to contact support@thredup.com to get an estimate however we have this information posted in the link below: http://support.thredup.com/hc/en-us/articles/203415086-CONSIGNMENT-Everything-you-need-to-know- Essentially, items with a higher MSRP will offer a higher payout on resale. We are always happy to answer any questions that you may have if you reach out to support. We look forward to assisting you.

By thredUP -.,
See more answers (30)

Of course buyers are satisfied. They are getting other peoples' brand-name, like-new clothes that has been stolen by ThredUp. Buying from ThredUp just supports their dishonest and shady business practice.

By Allison F.
See more answers (24)

I almost always sell on eBay first. Then when I don't feel like hanging on to the clothes any more and just want my closet space back and they have been on eBay for months, I will send to thredUP. I don't even send in that high end of items and I will usually get $16 and up per bag. So to me, it's a last resort, but I usually can expect something even if it's a little. I LOVE thredUP for buying. Use their upfront calculator to see what items they take. They will say 50 cents to 1.00 per item so it is not hidden info. There is always the return option where you can get your entire bag back for $12.99 as well. Everyone who has nice stuff they'd want back should opt for this method always.

By S S.
See more answers (23)

Because they essentially steal your clothes and then sell them for a profit. You get hardly any payout, but they gladly take all your clothes and sell them for a big mark up.

By Allison F.
See more answers (13)

They sent me an email and put the money on my thred up account so I can buy something. I was do disgusted I gave up on the whole thing

By Lynne R.
See more answers (22)

Because I sent in 575.00 worth of clothes and recieved 8.00 in credit, half of them had tags still on them and were high priced items. When I asked for proof why they did not take them in they said they had stains on them. I asked for pics because they were brand new, they squirted water on them and took a pic. It takes a couple months to even get your credit and when you buy womens clothes, half the time I was sent stained or childrens sized clothes, TWICE is a much better company.

By Christine w.
See more answers (13)

Honestly this company is not choosing to accept a lot of product that could easily be listed. I have sent bags and bags, including valuable pieces... cashmere sweaters, high end items of considerable retail cost and relatively recently produced. When questioned I am given the response that the items were not in as good a shape as they wanted them to be. That their buyers should be able to buy perfect product. My take on this is... if it's a 200 dollar cashmere sweater and the purchase price is under 10 dollars, a few pills on the fabric should be a non issue! Period. I question what is going on, frankly, as many do. Too much disappears with no explanation, many bags go into complete reject status. I genuinely am concerned that there is a story here and may become apparent after a while. Only time will tell.

By caroline g.