Review of thredUP

San Francisco, CA 94104, United States
support@thredup.com

stephaniem650
9/13/19

I ordered pants in 4X and 28, they came in in super tiny sizes!!! They don't have a customer service number to call, the messaging center sent me to email and when I FINALLY found a return section in my account they are trying to charge men$1.99 restock fee PER item on top of not giving me a full refund for what I paid! Attached is the receipt sent to my email and what they are trying to refund me on the website. What makes this worse is that I really needed these items befornan important conference next week. I paid $14 extra to have them sent in 3 days and there is no way to replace or get my kk way back in time! This is ridiculous!

katep104
9/13/19

i sent them one box a few months ago, an assortment of fancy shoes i'd bought for weddings and never worn again (Cole Haan heels, Camper sandals) and some Madewell sweaters. i was moving, so i just wanted to get rid of things fast. maybe $700 worth of clothing new, but they were used, so when they gave me $60 credit for no work, I was happy. i then sent them another bag that included a mix of Jcrew and Loft buttondown shirts (i was fine with getting only a buck or two for each) and a $500 twice-worn perfect condition lux brand jacket -- from one of the brands that they claim they give an 80% payout for. well, mysteriously, they accepted all the more-worn shirts (and offered me between 10-70 cents each) and "rejected" without comment the $500 lux brand perfect condition coat. when they reject something, allegedly they donate or destroy it. i emailed them to ask what happened, as this was a very expensive coat in perfect condition (that just didn't fit me) and 3 weeks later i still have not received a response. after looking around online, i see this is what they do: they "reject" the actually valuable items so that they can make a better profit elsewhere. i wish i'd just donated it.

valeriet88
9/13/19

Great prices but if you need to return anything, you'll find the process is far from customer friendly. It cost me $5.00 to return a $21.00 dress. They never sent a receipt with the dress and are now refusing to refund me.

alexandriaw14
9/8/19

While about 80% of my orders have been new or like new looking as described some were not. For example, a pair of $30.00 gloves appeared used with the lining full of pilling. Also, some of the clothes did have a musty smell. Overall, the site is okay but I'm not too likely to reorder as I was very disappointed after getting the worn out looking gloves and clothes that smelled like they were kept in a stuffy old chest. Wish I had not placed the last order.

madgej2
9/8/19

It's not possible to give thredup zero stars. I would if I could!

Don't waste your time, unless you want to be paid pennies for garments with tags on them...Never again!

I sent merchandise with original tags and items that were in excellent condition. Some items with original tags were never featured on their site (I took pictures of every item and checked their site). Furthermore, the pricing of my merchandise was inconsistent ~ Merchandise with tags was priced lower than pre-owned merchandise.

If only I had read these reviews before sending my clothes. I could have avoided being paid pennies and being completely ripped off. Take the time to sell your clothes on eBay or take them to a local consignment shop. You'll make more money.

Let's see what happens when I attempt to collect my $7.92.

maryh830
9/7/19

I had to write twice about the sale of a pair of very expensive shoes (over 500 dollars) sold months before and was not credited to my account. And before that, had to inquire as to what happened to my bag...all I can say is, when they received my bag, they accepted only one of two identical skirts, new, in two different colors. Also turned down many pairs of jeans, in fact all of them which were never worn. Really? Never will do this again....too much work. I will donate and take the generous tax write off. Love the recycling marketing. Hate the work.

michellea313
9/7/19

They mark new and like new items as damaged to process bags quicker and to not pay you for the goods. I literally have kept track of all my goods and the condition. Recently they processed my bag with a Yves saint Laurent mink coat that I had stored at Neuman Marcus at their fur storage center. I literally got it out in perfect condition and sent it to thredUP for them to only email me saying their processors processed my order correctly. I'm gathering all my info for all my past stolen goods and present, plus info about this companies practices online. My lawyer even said their employees talk about their practices online. This company will go down soon.

jeanniew33
9/6/19

Sent high end clothing, some new with tags, and a new pair of Birkenstock's and received a message that all items were refused due to an odor. I live in a smoke free home. When asked what kind of odor they could not, or would not, tell me. When I asked for that they return the items I was told they had destroyed them. This place is a rip-off. Don't do business with them.

semab1
9/5/19

I placed 2 orders over the weekend, and with the 2nd one the coupon code didn't go through. I sent an Email and got an auto response saying that customer service could take up to a week to respond. Huh? Ok, they did get back to me and said they could cancel the order but I would also have to cancel the order before it because of "logistics"
I told them to ship both orders but they wrote back and said they would be holding both of them until Friday. Who trains these people? I also asked to speak to a manager on the phony and I got an email back saying that nobody does outbound calls. It's2019... this company is backwards and they celebrate theirs own mediocrity thinking they are excellent. Even Walmart's customer service is grades above this.id rather deal with poshmark directly. At least you will be dealing with an actual person at the other end.

deborak6
9/5/19

The very first time I sent a bag of clothing to sell on thredup - I got back over $200 for my sales. Ever since that first time I've gotten no more than $25 for an entire bag full of brand new Coach purse with tags on, Elie Tahari, J Brand jeans, Joe's jeans, Velvet, Burberry and other name brands. A pair of coach designer heels that were worn once, with the box and dust bag-paid $450, got $10. This is a fantastic way to get rid of your stuff but don't expect anything for it.

zeedab
9/3/19

You get pennies on the dollar for items sold. Then if you want something back its 11 dollars to get a scarf. I will never sell on here again.

kaleyk
9/2/19

I first started using ThredUP last year. I sent in 2 big bags of clothes and got a couple hundred dollars for them between outright payment and consignment. I found my payout to be more than fair so I recently just mailed in another big bag. I just logged on to my account to find out what I had made from my bag only to see that not only had they not bought anything outright but they were selling my giant bag of clothing for literally pennies. We're talking name brand clothing, most still with tags selling for maybe $15 total. I can't believe how downhill this company is gone in such a short time period! I feel terrible because I've actually recommended thredUP to several people now since I had such a great first experience. I would not waste my time, energy or clothes with this company.

soniac79
9/2/19

I wish I had come across those reviews before. As many people have written they are a rip-off, they pay nothing and I regret sending my items and I wished I had given away or put on Craigslist for free.
I've sent brand new items with tags attached and some brand names as Under Armour, Nike, Fila, Disney, Kohls exclusive(Vera Wang & Apt. 9 ) and their price quote is outrageous, It's an insult to anyone even if you are not counting with a payout, after all what can anyone do with 0.20 to 0.80 cents p/item ? As my review subject said, unless you collect pennies and are in need, you should sell because that's all they will be paying you: coins.
My big check will be $6.51 if it all sells and upfront earning $2.18 for clothes well worth $400. I will wait because I'm curious to see the listing price and I might buy back all and give it away before closing my account.

callief9
8/29/19

I got my first box thinking I'd be getting a good deal compared to Stitch fix. I was wrong. I got 10 items, least expensive being $28 and for all 10 $412. For USED clothing. None of it was my style and 1 of the cardigans had snags all over it ($35) and a dress had dust all over the bottom of it ($55). Sorry, I'll go shopping or do stitch fix again for new clothes instead of this....

theresaw126
8/28/19

I sent name brand clothes with tags in place. I did not expect the price on the tag but I did expect more then 74 cents for a pair of never worn Lucky brand jeans, and more then what was offered for other quality unworn ed name brand clothing. I would have rather given them to charity which I have done since sending my merchandise to them.

lenaf16
8/25/19

Don't sell to them. They will give you pennies, seriously. Like for a great/almost new condition 100% linen GAP dressy pants I got 0.35 cents. Plus for much better more expensive items they still price it very very low payoff and there is no way to dispute that and get your item back.

gailn53
8/25/19

If you want to send them high end clothes and get pennies for them- this is the company to send to, They take forever to send you payout, and they do not respond to e-mails. I sent over $3,000 in excellent condition or new with tag clothes and I am still waiting for my $160.00 payout.
They are running exquisite scam and nobody can hold them accountable for it or prove anything.

Read reviews from former employees

haileyt15
8/24/19

As a seller this website is a total rip off. They over charge people for your clothes and you make practically nothing in return. My max payout on a shirt sold for $13.99 would be $0.70 if that gives you an idea. I sent a bag and when you do they offer to send back your clothes or donate them but with the items they didn't accept they "recycled" them without my consent when I intended to have them sent back. I'm stressed because these were nice items (some still with price tags) basically robbed from me. I highly recommend selling on sites like Poshmark or even a yard sell is better than ThredUP.

pilarc4
8/21/19

I have been a customer from ThredUp for a few years so I know exactly what they send, so I prepared my box about 30 items in perfect condition, things that were not my style or to formal for a SAHM, but since I know my items were all great didn't request the return. So the result is that they only accepted 9 items, rejected things NWT, and a 100% silk Massimo Dutti blouse and other things that I have seen in their site countless times. If I had chose to pay for the return fee, the final cash (if my items ever get sold) will be less than 2 dollars. I wish I had donated instead and made a pillowcase with the silk blouse. Don't sell to them, also it took 4 months for them to process my clean out box.

emmah252
Emma H.
8/14/19

I sent 15 lbs of clothing - some items barely worn, some brand new. They were selling my items for a fair amount and offering me .50. Because I asked for my unwanted items to be returned (10.99) shipping to return to me - I made only $2.53. I can get a higher write off on my taxes! I got fed up and asked them to send me back my remaining items that hadn't sold - which cost me additional shipping. So, not only did I not make any money - this entire thing has cost me money. This is a total scam and rip off.

serenad13
8/14/19

I thought the idea of an online clothing consignment company was a brilliant idea, and still do-- this, however, is not a good company to send high-quality consignment clothing to. My first box contained a beautiful, embroidered Citizens of Humanity denim jacket; an item I paid $300 for. It was barely worn, as it only just barely fit and I quickly outgrew it. I hesitated to sell it, but needed the closet space. I know it was in perfect shape when I sent it off. The box was processed, but my jacket was not posted! I couldn't believe there was any way that they would reject what is easily the most expensive thing I will ever own! Unfortunately, because I was so sure they were going to post my jacket for consignment, I opted out of the return assurance; a move I now deeply regret. As I see it, one of two things happened: either they really, truly believed the jacket was un-salvageable, or someone at their processing facility took the jacket for themselves and didn't give me any credit. (I don't know how likely the latter scenario is, but I have a hard time believing they turned a designer jacket into pillow scrap too!) Either way, I find it incredibly frustrating as now the jacket is gone, and there's zilch I can do about it.

As it is, I still use their services to buy and sell things on occasion, if I don't hope to get much for my items. I still find the company helpful, as I am a far drive from my nearest thrift store. For this reason, I gave them two stars instead of one.

BUT, if you have top-quality items you know you can still get a good payout for, I strongly advise that you sell them ANYWHERE ELSE BUT HERE!! Or, if you do send your stuff to them, use the return assurance!

tc44
8/12/19
• Updated review

I finally da receive my order and I was told he "initiated return" status is when ThredUp activates the return label when they get ready to ship it to you. That being said the Goode Box is supposed to be when one of their stylists puts together a box of items that possibly you would never have picked out for yourself and to surprise you with items. Well I was surprised for 75% of the items I received were items that I had marked as "favorites" I paid $10 to have ThredUp send me items that I already liked and had considered buying but hadn't yet. Basically I paid $10 to style myself. I wouldn't waste your money on the subscription boxes.

“Non Existent Customer Service”
8/9/19
• Previous review

This review is about purchasing and customer service.

I had sent items in for consignment and received a decent amount for the items. I already knew their approximate payout amounts so I was happy with the amount I was receiving.

I decided to try their Goody Box which is where their stylists pick items Ana ship them to you to try. The amount I was receiving for my items I sent in for consignment would be applied to any items I wanted to keep as well as the $10 styling fee. Perfect I thought. I placed the order on 7/19/19 and received an order confirmations saying that once it shipped I would be notified. I've purchased one item before this and received it quickly and without problems. On 8/1/19 the app said the order was still in process and that a stylist was working on it. I sent an email with all the information requesting an update and received and automatic response saying that their customer service was inundated with inquiries and it would be a week before they could get back to me. I checked the app again today, 8/6/19, and the order now says "RETURN INITIATED". I sent another email today inquiring as to why and what this means for my order but this time I did not get an automated response so I'm not sure they will even address my issue. For me the frustration is that there is no customer service and even though they don't have a phone number I expected emails to be addressed. I have no idea where all of this is going to land but people need to really understand that THERE IS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. if you are reading the reviews and think well maybe I'll be luckier... yes you may be but heed the warnings of others.

lynns320
8/11/19

I tried to call customer service and there is not a phone number to call. So, I used the email support option and got an auto reply that said they would get back to me In 1 WEEK! As a result, my 3 packages were delivered to the wrong address and there was nothing I could do about it. I even called Fedex and they told me to get in touch with the shipper (which I should have been able to). I have no idea if I'll ever even see these items.
I will never order from Thredup again,

rk228
8/10/19

On June 29th I requested a Cash Out. It took a week later that on July 7th I received an email that the card had been sent. On July 25th I emailed Thred Up that I had yet to receive my card. On August 1st, I received an email from Thred Up that I needed to contact the Discover Card Company myself. I made that call and they could not even find record of it. Discover Comany said I would be contacted in 24 hours. As of August 12th I have not heard from Thred Up or the Discover Card Company. I would suggest to use another company if you are using the consignment feature. Their Customer Service Department is of no help with their automatic emails and no follow up.

galenam
8/7/19

Costumer service is horrible. Still waiting for replies to emails regarding my clean out bags and the fact I cant log in to my account.

If your clothes are name-brand and in good condition you will not get what they're worth from thredUP. Find a consignment store or go on eBay and sell them yourself. I wish I'd given mine to charity, no need to fill thredUPs pockets.

By Sarah P.

I'd love to see a class action suit build against this company. I'm a young professional -- a lawyer, actually (unrelated practice area) -- who is shocked and disappointed by this company's conduct. They're taking advantage of a demographic they think won't speak up. Young women: raise your voices! After having my like-new Diane Von Furstenberg weekender bag disappear into this company, never to be seen again, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. One small step, but it's something! It takes 5 minutes. USE YOUR VOICE!

By Amy S.
Helpful answer -4

Hi Wendy, If you have any specific items in mind it is best to contact support@thredup.com to get an estimate however we have this information posted in the link below: http://support.thredup.com/hc/en-us/articles/203415086-CONSIGNMENT-Everything-you-need-to-know- Essentially, items with a higher MSRP will offer a higher payout on resale. We are always happy to answer any questions that you may have if you reach out to support. We look forward to assisting you.

By thredUP -., thredUP Representative

Of course buyers are satisfied. They are getting other peoples' brand-name, like-new clothes that has been stolen by ThredUp. Buying from ThredUp just supports their dishonest and shady business practice.

By Allison F.

I almost always sell on eBay first. Then when I don't feel like hanging on to the clothes any more and just want my closet space back and they have been on eBay for months, I will send to thredUP. I don't even send in that high end of items and I will usually get $16 and up per bag. So to me, it's a last resort, but I usually can expect something even if it's a little. I LOVE thredUP for buying. Use their upfront calculator to see what items they take. They will say 50 cents to 1.00 per item so it is not hidden info. There is always the return option where you can get your entire bag back for $12.99 as well. Everyone who has nice stuff they'd want back should opt for this method always.

By S S.

Because they essentially steal your clothes and then sell them for a profit. You get hardly any payout, but they gladly take all your clothes and sell them for a big mark up.

By Allison F.

They sent me an email and put the money on my thred up account so I can buy something. I was do disgusted I gave up on the whole thing

By Lynne R.

Honestly this company is not choosing to accept a lot of product that could easily be listed. I have sent bags and bags, including valuable pieces.... cashmere sweaters, high end items of considerable retail cost and relatively recently produced. When questioned I am given the response that the items were not in as good a shape as they wanted them to be.. that their buyers should be able to buy perfect product. My take on this is ..... if it's a 200 dollar cashmere sweater and the purchase price is under 10 dollars, a few pills on the fabric should be a non issue!!!! Period. I question what is going on, frankly, as many do. Too much disappears with no explanation, many bags go into complete reject status. I genuinely am concerned that there is a story here and may become apparent after a while. Only time will tell.

By caroline g.

Not worth it unless you have stuff priced over $40 and can get 40%. There percentages are ridiculous for lower priced clothes. You can order return assurance for about $12 but be prepared to get a bag back with your items stuffed in like garbage. They do not even take the time to fold things nicely even though you pay for this service.

By Susan W.

This company cannot be trusted...stay away. They are bad news.

By Suzanne S.
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other customers.

thredUP?