Review of thredUP

San Francisco, CA 94104, United States
support@thredup.com

susant465
1/22/19

I started off by donating a bag of just clothing. They were things that I didn't really wear anymore they were still in excellent condition so I tried it out. I sent in about 30 items and they excepted about 10 of those 30 items the rest were just gone by the wayside and they were really nice. I ended up getting about $16, LOL. I should've learned my lesson but then I thought well I have so many purses & Wallets so I'll try this one more time because I'm sure these are going to be worth more as they were all coach bags except for one Louis Vuitton wallet, a Kate Spade wallet, a Lodis wallet and a Victoria's Secret tote. Come to find out they only accepted The Kate Spade wallet, Victoria Secret Tote & Lodis wallet! They stole my Louis Vuitton wallet!!!! Not to mention all the Coach Habdbags!! Here I am thinking I would probably get A pretty good amount from that. No they stole it!! I tried to contact them to ask them why were they not excepted and I would like my items back and they told me no. Said I should've requested a return bag that I would pay for if they didn't except items. They are a rip off!!

maryb997
1/22/19

I sent them bag full of expensive clothes about half with tags still on and omg! I know it's my fault for not doing my research, but I sent in probably $800 worth of items and my guaranteed payout is $40. HUGE MISTAKE!!!!!

kayf68
1/22/19

If you expect to get a fair price for your items this is NOT the company. I sent a box full of gently used items, some with the tag still on thinking I could make a small profit-I was wrongly mistaken. They will offer you 50cents for an item selling for $15.00, it is not worth it unless you are donating clothes. I will never do business with this company again and I don't expect them to last very long. I do not support buying from them either because I know the original owner was not properly compensated. Very misleading, unfair company.

tonyab41
1/22/19

I will never buy from thredUP up again.BEWARE when buying goody boxes.You will be charged for things you did not keep.Customer service is terrible.I waited four days to hear from them on this matter.

kayceeco
1/20/19

Terrible company. Do not do business with them! You are better off going to a consignment store to sell items and then YOU get the tax break. They can take all of your clothes - even if they meet all and *every single one* of their requirements - and just "decide" not to accept them. No reason other than "we decided." Perfectly good designer brand stuff - most of which was New With Tags...and it's "nope!" Then they donate *your* expensive items and take *your* tax break. It's highway robbery. I'll be reporting them to the BBB next for this practice. It's disgusting, and utterly without morals. Worst part? Back in the day when they were a startup brand, they were fair, transparent, and responsive. Now, absolutely none of that is true. Don't buy or sell from them...you have been warned!

milanad2
1/19/19

I sent in a bag of clothes, containing a brand new reformation dress. Thred up accepted some random items for a total of $18 refund, and threw away my reformation dress. I followed up with them to see how come I didn't get credit for a new dress and after several days they told me that there were stains on the dress so that's why they sorted it out. This is BS, the dress was worn twice and had no stains on it. Since I didn't select a return option, the dress is gone forever. What a shame. Bad sorting, not reliable.

emilys348
1/19/19

I bought a "goody box" from Thredup - there were 10 items. The retail prices are crazy high. One of the highest was a jewelry brand no longer in existence. "Retail" was $143, thredup was $25. I have seen better items in Target. teeny initial necklace (sure was thrown in as its an E and me name starts with E). One shirt I like BUT was a size 3 and I am a medium/large. Then their was there own brand REMADE which looks like a cheap imitation of the Target brand boyfriend shirt with a creased pocket with a retail of $34 - are you kidding? I was considering sending clothing in but I am too embarrassed to sell with them. The item I liked best is a fold over backpack from Scarleton. NOTE their "retail" is $48, thredup price 30.99 USED. The backpack is on amazon NEW for 29.99 with prime AND on Walmart's website. I usually wear used clothing but am very particular about brands. I love Toms. Kate Spade, Athleta, and more fun casual stuff. This was just a sad mishmash of someone doing the birdbox challenge at Ross or Marshalls.(tried to upload photo didnt work)

stacyd91
1/18/19

I didn't realize I would be "donating" 99% of my (IMO very nice, name brand, gently used) items. While I certainly didn't expect ALL items to be accepted - the offer of $2.02 is an absolute joke!

brendah236
1/18/19

Sent a bag with brand name clothing, some with tags and the pieces they did take I only made a few cents on the dollar while they turned around and charged 3 times that. That being said the only positive is to buy NOT SELL from this company. It makes me think that some of the good stuff employees have first dibs at.

michelleb655
1/17/19

Here's the thing, they are extremely upfront about Everything when it comes to buying your clothes... if you expect to make money selling your clothes, this is not the place for you, if you want to clean out your closet and don't feel like doing the work to sell or donate your items yourself then its perfect for you ... this site will give you 90 cents for something they might sell for 15 $ but that's ok because it their business and they are very very upfront about it... they are even upfront that they own and vould sell your items that they reject if you don't pay for those items to be returned.... and for donations... they give like 5 dollars to some charity you choose from their list, I would so much rather people give their clothes to womens shelters or offer them for free on Craigslist first so family's in need could have dibs on them first...

cherieb35
1/17/19

I am a veteran thrift store shopper, so I was thrilled to find this site that would act as another set of eyes on those unique clothes only thrift stores offer. How wrong I was.
The initial offer on line to sign up to receive a "goody box" was $10.00 to allegedly cover the cost of the box. But when I checked my credit card online, Thredup had not only paid themselves the $10., they also paid themselves an additional $50. for absolutely no reason.
I have sent THREE emails to these people in 3 weeks with no response. Then just yesterday a shirt arrived that I didn't even ask for.
I would stay very clear of this program.

juliem524
1/15/19

I sent my bag it took 3.5 weeks for them to review. I sent all brand name Nike, under armour and justice little girl clothes. Some with tags!! They gave me $3.58. Outrageous. Never ever again!!

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Julie. Thanks for your review. We’re sorry your Clean Out experience did not go as expected. We do provide a payout estimator (thredup.com/cleanout/payout-estimator) and a payout structure (https://bit.ly/2rjNhPx) to manage seller expectations initially around what they can make. Our support team is also happy to address additional Clean Out questions if you’d like further clarification: thredup.com/contact. Thanks!
lizm22
1/15/19

I have sent in 4 bags of clean, good quality, gently used clothing, shoes and accessories so far and it seems like half of each shipment gets rejected and tossed out. I get lousy payouts, too. I appreciate the fact that I am not inconvenienced by having to wait around for hours like I did when I used to haul my bags into Plato's Closet, or go through the painful process of listing each item on eBay (and then have to deal with the occasional deadbeat bidder). However, it seems that when I buy from Thredup I'll sometimes get worn-out and/or ugly items that I can't understand how the bag processors accepted. I hope their staff reads these reviews!

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Thank you for your review, Liz. We appreciate hearing your feedback, and we're sorry to hear about your recent experiences not meeting expectations. If you ever receive items in an order that are not as described, or if you'd like to review a Clean Out bag's processing further, you can reach out to our support team where we'll provide additional information and assistance: https://www.thredup.com/contact. Thank you.
kaylam104
1/15/19

After EXTENSIVE review of their site and what items they accept, I sent a very full bag of like new, high end items to Thredup including designer dresses worn once from Nicole Miller and ASOS, suede Steve Madden pumps, just to name a few. They accepted a handful of mediocre items -- my payout equaling less then $13 -- and apparently THREW OUT the rest of the high end items in perfect condition. When I asked about SPECIFIC items, they cited reasons for not keeping that were absolutely 100% not accurate. From my perspective, this company is a scam and this was a complete rip off. I have lots of experience selling clothes (Plato's, Clothes Mentor, Poshmark, Ebay, etc.) -- and I DO NOT recommend ever selling to Thredup.

kristinag50
1/15/19

I have sold a few times to thredup and I have been disappointed each time. I figured I would maybe try and buy something since they give a little more if you use it as in store credit. Well everything is absolutely over priced! Don't waste your time thinking you are getting a good deal. NO WAY just compare their Coach scarves with the price on the Coach website. Scamming people in thinking they are getting a good deal. They sell target swimsuits for $20 . I can get that brand new for $20 Ridiculous

terryv40
1/12/19

I sent in a box full of clothing in good condition according to the ThredUp rules, but only 3 items were accepted - two big-box tees and a badly piled sweater that I expected to be rejected. The rest were items of classic styling and good construction, most of them still in like-new condition. I didn't expect to make much money (as obviously their prices are already low and they have to make a profit) but I am dismayed that quality pieces were sent to be "recycled" because...they weren't this week's style? The brands (e.g., Lands' End, Carhaart, Coldwater Creek) weren't up to snuff? Different people have different tastes, yet ThredUp apparently gets to decide what people should want. I suppose the reason I've never bought anything on this site is that the clothing I might like (i.e., basic, classic) was rejected before I could even see it.

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
We're very sorry to hear your Clean Out did not go as expected. Our hope is to always manage expectations initially around what you can make with us. While thredUP typically accepts about 40% of a Clean Out Bag to sell, we use a variety of tools and techniques to accurately identify seemingly minor flaws that are often overlooked. We do love the brands that you sent, but because our processors are responsible for ensuring every item that is listed on our shop, they are strict about accepted items as our customers are expecting to purchase like-new quality items. For more information about our strict acceptance standards, please visit: https://bit.ly/2qKfpID. Our support agents are available via email, chat, the app, or our social media channels if you'd like to discuss the acceptance of your bag further. Thank you.
carolinem122
1/11/19

I sold to Thredup in 11/18. My first bag went smoothly, but I requested two shipping labels for one clean-out kit and the first kit was received and processed, I received update emails along the process, and while they hold your money for two weeks before you can cash out, I felt like it went well. The second bag however, got lost in the process somehow and after repeated emails trying to determine its status, I got one on 11/27 (three weeks after I sent it) saying it had been received and was in processing, which could take two weeks. Weeks later, they still hadn't processed it so I followed up again. On 1/8, (two months after I sent the bag!) they told me my complete bag had been donated. AND just checked the website: they are selling items from that bag. I know because one of the designer dresses that was in there, I had gotten hemmed from a maxi to a cocktail dress and it's on the site as the cocktail version, which was never made by the designer. Absolute scammers.

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Caroline - thank you for your review and we apologize for any confusion or frustration. We do show you've been in contact with a support representative regarding this matter. Because labels for clean out kits do not have more than 1 label that can be printed at a time, what we believe happened is that you printed out an entirely different label, which was for B2FDG-JXH5Q and this was requested as a donation kit at the time of ordering. Our support representative has followed up with you via email to address this further.

Thank you.
ashleyb388
1/10/19

First - I paid for expedited shipping that I did not receive, as they didn't do it in the promised time frame. I had to ask for my $16 back that I paid for this. I also paid $10.99 (Return Assurance) for them to return my clothing they didn't want/couldn't sell. If you haven't realized already...just these two things alone are stupid and wasteful.

Second - they kept and sold several name brand items in good shape. What they kept should have brought more than my TOTAL of $14.67. 100% I could have sold it all myself on Facebook for twice that due to the shape alone. Oh but wait..it DID bring much more than my total of a whopping $14.67 - they made over $100. The percentages we are given are just TRASH. That's all. :)

Third - resorting back to the fees in my first point, those are deducted from your earnings. So my "total earned" was -$12.32. NOTE THE NEGATIVE. SO I WOULD HAVE PAID THEM had I not spoken up for them not holding up their end in regards to the time frame.

Fourth - You are apparently given a time frame to reclaim any items not sold or they belong to ThredUp. Because that shouldn't be covered by the $10.99 I paid to have the rest of my clothing returned, right?

This is complete trash. 100% a waste of time. They kill you with fees and make it seem like something helpful and fantastic. This was my first and LAST time using them and I would never in a million years recommend this service to my most hated enemy.

AND I NEVER LEAVE REVIEWS LIKE THIS. THIS WAS HORRIBLE!!!! I hope everyone considering using them to help get rid of any clothing, accessories, etc will be able to see this. Best of luck!

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Ashley,

We are sorry to hear that you were unsatisfied with your Clean Out experience. It’s important to remember that using thredUP means that you may not earn as much as you would if you sold your items peer to peer. But what you may miss in earnings, you earn back in overall convenience. Our goal is to help make our customers’ lives easier by helping them get rid of unwanted items from their closets from the convenience of their own home. While you might be able to earn slightly more by selling elsewhere, thredUP does all of the hard work for you: no driving, no negotiating with buyers, no dealing with rejected items. We hope this offers more insight. Thank you.
teresah189
1/8/19

I sent THREE FULL bags to thread up some of my items still had tags on them !!!' I have never recieved a payment they cannot seem to find my items DIDNOT make a DIME off my items !!!! I should have gave them to a local charity and after hearing on this page the types of payments people recieved it is a complete RIP Off !!! Donot sell your used clothing to these CROOKS!!! You might as well give them to friends try to sell them to local used clothing stores or give them to charity !!! Very sad I spent my hard earned time and my GOOD clothes to these CROOKS!!!!

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Teresa. Thank you for your review. While we do not show you've contacted our support team in the past, we have sent you a message to gather additional information about your account. Thank you.
johns3526
1/8/19

Absolutely ridiculous customer service. Nearly $300 taken from my account for products I never received. Was assured a refund the after two weeks of waiting was told they weren't going to refund it.

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi John. Thank you for your review. We have sent you a private message to gather account information and look into this order further. Thank you.
jonathany17
1/6/19

Unfortunately, I don't feel as though a "huge weight has been lifted" off my shoulders by sending you my pile of clothing. I sent you guys nearly 30 pieces and you accepted 4. 12 of which were premium brand denim including True Religion, Seven jeans etc. Two of them were brand new items which I never wore. You mentioned in this email that you've accepted 66% of the items I've sent which's 2/3 which should be around 20 pieces! Then in another email I'm told that you've accepted 4.

I feel completely robbed. Please explain to me how am I going to trust a company like yours?

Also nothing works on your website. I did not accept the upfront payout since your website never gave me the choice to click on anything. I demand the gross payout that I was owed.

I sent the following email to your company and I received no reply.

Your company STOLE my items for nothing and I feel like I have been scammed.

Please do the right thing and make it right!!!!!!!!!!

Jonathan

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Jonathan. Thank you for reaching out. We have reviewed your support emails further, and do show you were in contact with a member of our support team regarding these requests. We do apologize your Cleaning Out experience did not go as planned. It’s important to remember that using thredUP means that you may not earn as much as you would if you sold your items peer to peer. But what you may miss in earnings, you earn back in overall convenience.
cynthiad146
1/6/19

My brand new (with price sticker still on) Lucchese cowboy boots were put up for sale at $59!!

Someone is not doing their homework at ThredUp or maybe they're so profit obsessed that they're marking good quality merchandise at ridiculously low prices. My profit was $23.00!! Never using again!!

carap19
1/3/19

I dont know what these bad reviews are about ...zI ordered over 30 items my first order ..every single item was in perfect condition , great quality & wrapped perfect... everything fit perfect as well.
I think some just dont understand how to shop consignment and order the wrong things therefore are dissapointed... I on the other hand could not be more satisfied! Super excited to shop again
Attached are just 2 of the dresses I bought. Just beautiful

kellys437
12/20/18

This is a joke. I sent BRAND NEW clothes and am getting up to a 21cent payout. Seriously, why bother. Wishing I would have given it to my cleaning lady like I usually do. Damn sure won't ever shop,or sell here. TOTAL RIPOFF!!!

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hi Kelly, we are sorry to hear that our Clean Out program did not meet your expectations. e try to be as transparent as possible with our payouts. Our goal is to be the easiest way to thrift, not necessarily the most profitable. Sellers may cross-reference their payout estimates, here at any time prior to sending in their items >> thredup.com/cleanout/payout-estimator

ravatelp
12/20/18

I was so excited to receive the 10 handbag box for $90.00. I opened the box and saw some pretty tissue paper covering the top. I dug down and found 5 bags neatly wrapped in tissue. The bags wrapped in tissue were low value target brands made of vinyl. The "better" bags were underneath rolling around the box, unwrapped. Seemed odd. I actually received 11 bags. One went right into the trash as it was a crossbody with broken strap hardware. One was a cheap satin new with tags clutch. 3 were clean vinyl satchels in the $30 new range and in 7/10 condition. One laptop case out of vinyl with a ripped lining 4/10. One white plastic cosmetic giveaway bag, not worth the time to flip it, one madden girl bag with hardened nail polish on lining 4/10. 3 actual leather bags with wear so severe that they are 4/10. I'm pretty good at putting lipstick on a pug, but these bags, for $90 have nothing redeeming about them. My local consignment store is likely my only option and I'm sure they won't take most of them. It's not that the bar is set high, it's that this batch of threadup bags is garbage. Just don't do it. The rescue box videos from months ago show some real gems, but that was then and this is now. I understand the rescue box sales are of items that they used to donate but now ship to the unsuspecting resellers. They should stick to stuff they aged out of the website and get some quality back before they tank the whole concept.

Response from Emily M., thredUP Representative
Hello Ravatel, thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are sorry to hear you were disappointed with your Handbag Rescue Box. We are trying out this new feature and appreciate all feedback as it is necessary to helping us improve. We see that a Customer Service agent has applied 20% off your order as a courtesy. Please let us know if there is anything else we may do to assist you and we will gladly do so. Thank you!

Do NOT do NOT do NOT give them your nice clothing. They will STEAL it from you. Things that warrant a good price tag should go to a consignment shop. Those you're willing to sell, use eBay, those you just want to "off load", donate to consignment yourself. You will feel better about it, I promise.

By C F.

I'd love to see a class action suit build against this company. I'm a young professional -- a lawyer, actually (unrelated practice area) -- who is shocked and disappointed by this company's conduct. They're taking advantage of a demographic they think won't speak up. Young women: raise your voices! After having my like-new Diane Von Furstenberg weekender bag disappear into this company, never to be seen again, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. One small step, but it's something! It takes 5 minutes. USE YOUR VOICE!

By Amy S.
Helpful answer -4

Hi Wendy, If you have any specific items in mind it is best to contact support@thredup.com to get an estimate however we have this information posted in the link below: http://support.thredup.com/hc/en-us/articles/203415086-CONSIGNMENT-Everything-you-need-to-know- Essentially, items with a higher MSRP will offer a higher payout on resale. We are always happy to answer any questions that you may have if you reach out to support. We look forward to assisting you.

By Emily M., thredUP Representative

I almost always sell on eBay first. Then when I don't feel like hanging on to the clothes any more and just want my closet space back and they have been on eBay for months, I will send to thredUP. I don't even send in that high end of items and I will usually get $16 and up per bag. So to me, it's a last resort, but I usually can expect something even if it's a little. I LOVE thredUP for buying. Use their upfront calculator to see what items they take. They will say 50 cents to 1.00 per item so it is not hidden info. There is always the return option where you can get your entire bag back for $12.99 as well. Everyone who has nice stuff they'd want back should opt for this method always.

By S S.

They sent me an email and put the money on my thred up account so I can buy something. I was do disgusted I gave up on the whole thing

By Lynne R.

Honestly this company is not choosing to accept a lot of product that could easily be listed. I have sent bags and bags, including valuable pieces.... cashmere sweaters, high end items of considerable retail cost and relatively recently produced. When questioned I am given the response that the items were not in as good a shape as they wanted them to be.. that their buyers should be able to buy perfect product. My take on this is ..... if it's a 200 dollar cashmere sweater and the purchase price is under 10 dollars, a few pills on the fabric should be a non issue!!!! Period. I question what is going on, frankly, as many do. Too much disappears with no explanation, many bags go into complete reject status. I genuinely am concerned that there is a story here and may become apparent after a while. Only time will tell.

By caroline g.

Not worth it unless you have stuff priced over $40 and can get 40%. There percentages are ridiculous for lower priced clothes. You can order return assurance for about $12 but be prepared to get a bag back with your items stuffed in like garbage. They do not even take the time to fold things nicely even though you pay for this service.

By Susan W.

Because they essentially steal your clothes and then sell them for a profit. You get hardly any payout, but they gladly take all your clothes and sell them for a big mark up.

By Allison F.

This company cannot be trusted...stay away. They are bad news.

By Suzanne S.

Ditto above contact company direct, more than likely you will end up feeling ripped off. I stick with likewice.com for selling

By Shanda D.
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other customers.

thredUP?