Review of TheRealReal

contact@therealreal.com
Youtube video thumbnail

cheries31
1/16/19

I have been in contact with Amanda over an issue that was resolved quickly and efficiently. Kudos to The Real Real!

shannaj11
1/14/19

I've ordered 2 pairs of shoes, 1 pair of Carolina Herrera and 1 pair of Sergio Rossi. I wear a 10, have been since I was teenager. I know my size in US, IT, EU...all of their shoes list as IT. A 10 in US is a 41 in IT, not a 40!

rachelb271
1/14/19

I ordered two items from therealreal.com and only one was shipped to me. When I checked my order online to see when the rest was coming, I saw the whole order was marked shipped and delivered. So I emailed customer service, explained the situation, and asked for a tracking number for my missing item #2. I got a reply right away that was very nice but the person just said "We sincerely apologize for the delay in shipping your order" ... so I replied again asking for a TRACKING NUMBER for the item #2 once it shipped. Then customer service replied and said "We have sent an urgent message to immediately locate and ship the package to you via overnight shipping once ready" ... and I was like UGH ... at this point it was a week after I'd originally placed the order and paid for quick shipping. Two days later I nudged for an update, and they said they needed another day ... then another day passed, and they told me the dress was unavailable and that they'd refund me. That led me to continually check (and then finally call) my credit card company to confirm the refund. So dumb! Such a waste of time! In contrast, a few days ago I got a very similar dress on Poshmark and it was delivered no problemo in 3 days. Get it together, therealreal.com ... not for me (because I'm never coming back) but for other shoppers.

sharonh374
1/3/19

First, let me say I am writing this to help all of you out there silently suffering from being grossly mistreated by this company. I truly want to help all of you that have been hurt by this company, as well as my daughter and myself, as this has been a really horrific, traumatizing experience, and I'll just give a tiny piece of what's happened. I don't want to publicly say too much, but know I am speaking 100 percent truth.

I bought from this company, since their inception, and gave them more money than I'd like to admit to myself. I was a terrific customer for certain, and although I don't expect anything from anyone, I surely would have thought this company treated people like humans, and did the right thing when it came to business. I had been pleased with my endless purchases, and I'm easygoing, I'm not a big, 'returner', and thought the CEO really must have it together, so when I thought of editing my massive closet, it was a no-brainer for me to use them. After all, this * made her millions off of all of us--it's simply a middle man selling our clothes. Little did I know they'd rob us without a gun-really. And then try to beat well me, anyways, and my daughter down, mentally. Little did I know what awaited me-when I finally caved and consigned with them. It's been an absolute nightmare. After six months, no resolution, just awful folks, I have come to realize I am not alone. Many of you have had serious issues with them, and they treat you horribly as well and I want to help. Tonight at a party, it was mentioned, and can you imagine-12 other people had consignor stories that were so disturbing to them-and this was one or two items for these folks. I had over 200! Many still unaccounted for, they don't care-and it starts with the CEO and we will go to court and litigate, my lawyers have been ready, I have not. Ok I'll briefly describe just a tiny bit

We lived in NYC and NJ our entire lives, when suddenly I found my life, my 22 year old son on my sofa Dec. 6, 2016 dead. My-ex, the father of my kids and still very much family, so my daughter and well we decided we must move and be with him as we were shot. So in July'17 we moved to West Hollywood to be with him, and he passed away a week later. (John Heard-Home Alone Dad). We lost half our family that day in six months, and here my daughter and I were in a place we have always visited several times a year, but it wasn't home but it was and is our new home. So we were and still are to some extent aliens here, and we crashed hard and I decided it best for us to really sorta retreat into our grief and mourning-I gave it one year, for us to tend to our emotional health as hardest time of our lives. We have been isolating, and nesting and healing in our home, so this consigning stuff really was not my deal, I didn't want to, but reluctantly agreed.

* kept asking me to consign, as I have just a massive wardrobe of amazing designer clothes. I took months to decide, as I really didn't have the strength, or the need, but I finally in grieving came to feel that cleaning out some of my closet would be helpful mentally, and without me having to leave my home. The white-glove service, was set up in July '18, and I was told my clothes would not be sold until September, and we'd go over everything. Fast forward they sent this woman *, and an assistant, he was fine. But that day I had a tornado go through my house with this woman, taking well-over 200 items, extremely high-end, including so very many items of mine I had just bought! I kept saying no no, and when I'd turn to help her with something, she'd grab more clothes, and it was truly frenetic beyond words. My 23 year old daughter and I were in shock and trying to stop this erratic behavior to no avail. Anyways she suddenly grabbed a bunch of clothes and said leaving, I said wait--no signed contract, no list of items, I was told not to worry it was signed. She, spoke over me telling me I'm wrong it's signed. I knew I never did. Fast-forward, they sold clothes straight away-not waiting until September, and here I see all my new clothes I just bought for me-had sold! And with unsigned contract, without my permission, pieces I never ever approved, I had just purchased! For instance 2k Gucci boots I just got sold for $300. Moreover, the items I did approve, they so grossly undersold-there are no words to describe. Lost items galore -For over six months I have tried to reason starting with this *, she finally admitted I was right unsigned, and yep she took my new current pieces,she saw it was true, then she blocked me told me her manager would make adjustments. I went from one to another patiently for six whole months (my mom dying in between,Oct 12 and our doggie) all the way to the top, this company promised adjustments, and that I was only one this happened to -which is not true. They dropped me like a hot potato told me they look forward to speaking to my attorneys. This new guy from *, the new CFO, treated me so awfully, that I have lost countless nights sleep, and must start the long arduous litigation process, as again, it's over 200 items, and I don't have enough pages to tell you the unprofessional, and more importantly unkind, inhumane way they treated me. This has effected me in such a deep way, as again missing Dior Bags, Chanel Bags, but moreover, as my daughter said, "Mom I have never seen people disrespect people the way this company does". And that has hit hard and that is truth. They don't care about people whatsoever--I have suffered endless hours of actual tears and agony that people can truly be so so so cruel. I think being in mourning has left me very quiet and private which I always have been, but I never knew people could be so well, dishonest and again cruel I reiterate. They took the dress my son told me he loved right before he passed, I mean this has been seriously emotionally disturbing and there is comfort in knowing I am not alone as they lied and told me I was only person this ever happened to. But no, actually this has in fact happened to countless others maybe you! After four months of patience, I went to the CEO, she got straight back to me, I truly thought they would be professional at that time. Only to have it get so much worse, that it nearly cracked me. Yes, I have lawyers, I have met with them, they wanted to take it to the papers, truly, as it involved some delicate public interest people, but I'm still mourning, but I know full well every missing piece, every piece sold-for instance I bought a Gucci dress from them 3 weeks prior to consigning. I adored this dress-Tom Ford 2001 bought for approx. $600. They took that dress behind my back, sold for $75--same dress same company, tags still on!! Now it's on firstdibs for $4500 as a collectors piece which I knew. Endless scenarios like this I have.

Without revealing all the horrific truths, this company not only robbed me, they accused me of being dishonest.. Now that is so incorrect, and untrue, I have been entirely honest and asking next to nothing from the, just begging them for this paltry amount which they had agreed to straight away as they knew I asked so little! But see I told them I don't sue-so when they heard that they dismissed me, and treated me like a servant rather than a customer. They took the remains of my life that I loved and just trashed me, and then dropped me as if I'm some insane person. They knew of my heartaches never once said sorry for your loss, nothing. I have never, in my 57 years of being alive, been treated so poorly and illegally by a company.

One night I couldn't sleep so I googled this company. It was right after meeting with our wonderful attorneys, who are great guys really! I just hate all this, I pleaded with this company to give me peace for their mistakes to no avail. Well in googling, that's when I found countless others of you are going through same thing-they lied to me. Then, even tonight i met oh well over a dozen people at a party telling me same story with this site. Consign with them, they are getting away with this with no remorse very little retaliation. They truly are robbing folks. Selling 3k coats for 50 bucks. And tonight I was also made aware that they are also selling fakes! Which I do believe because i had one fake Chloe in my closet sold to me on ebay years ago-well * went to take it and I saw this happening and I exclaimed, "No no-that's ony fake I own-I must give that away-you can't sell that". Now I realize all the pieces of the puzzle are fitting together-this is their thing-J* is into quantity - sort of a retail "pump and dump'. She does volume and isn't screwing herself-we are all getting screwed and as they put it, "they look forward to speaking to our counsel". I realize now that the volume of complaints and wrongdoings is so massive, that they refer folks to our attorneys, in hopes we don't pay the 20K retainer to fight them. But I am this New Year, it is that bad, and I can't begin to list how bad.

If anyone else needs help, please get in touch with me, I want to help all of us that have been truly robbed and hurt by this company. It's really a personal, messed up thing they do-if you get it- you get it!!! I I believe in resolving issues. They took advantage of my kindness and hoping I was too frail but I am strong as an ox, I have seen what they are and if I'm stuck fighting, which they put me here not me, well I am a fighter and a survivor, and I have every text and email and phone call so here we go. Not my idea of fun but we must pick our battles and I choose this one for the inhumanity of it all.

Oh - And I know another unhappy Consignor-well I have her blouse! Can you imagine, I bought a $3500 Comme des Garcons current blouse sold-out at Barneys for $100 several months ago?! Of course now I really won't shop there, but I'd be a fool not to grab that up! I feel awful really for the consignor.

oh and a little PS--Can you imagine I'm still getting emails from some new guy - saying, "Congratulations, Sharon, all your clothes sold! Consign more". None of this is true. The left arm doesn't know what the right arm is doing in this company! They want to keep us confused-I'm not! Happy New Year. Good Luck and I'm here if you need to vent or my help- I have a private instagram kikkibluesvancouver3

*Personal information redacted by admin

Tip for consumers: They are truly scam artists in 57 years I have never, ever had a problem and I an a consistent shopper at Neimans and such.

lauriet57
12/25/18

All my questions were answered and I got exceptional customer service, completely satisfied with Jamillah she was friendly and took the time with me!

nataliai7
12/23/18

I consigned with them 20 pieces, the person who came and pick them itmes, told me that they will first tell me the list of prices and after , if I agree with the prices they will put them on the site. So is not like this! They will take pictures, put them on the site, and if you're not continually looking on the app or website, to see if they posted, you will not know. Because they don't give you any notice by mail or anything. So after almost 12 day I called, they told me this on the phone and ask me to check on app. When I checked a pair of Roberto Cavalli Flats already they were sold, new pair, listing price $89, they took an extra 20%, final price $68, and I end up with $34 , because the you're not even getting 55% from that, only 50%. So of course I asked them to send all my items back, I don't want to have any more bad experiences with this people. So clearly I don't recommend this website. Because they will take an extra 20% from your listing without letting you know and why 50% from the selling price when they clearly telling you 55%. Ugh

loril180
12/20/18

I sent in a pair of Gucci shoes $800 retail and they sold them for $125. They were on the site for one day only because they were in their words "very good" condition Of course because the price was so low. There is no incentive for them to price correctly since you do not get higher commissioners until you obtain a certain dollars amount in sales. is What a joke. Pathetic and Shameful

rachaelw35
12/19/18

I called TRR and had the pleasure of speaking with Jamillah B - I was interested in purchasing a pair of shoes but noticed the size listed did not reflect the size of the shoe on the online picture. Jamillah B tracked down the issue and quickly called me back to inform me that the shoe size was incorrectly posted. She also gave me a $30 credit for the inconvenience. She demonstrated excellent customer service and was indeed a pleasure to interact with. She is a real asset to TRR!

andreah198
12/19/18

There is so much to say about this site. It is relatively new. They got too big too soon. To make any money on the site, you must send items over a certain price range. Remember, if you sell less than $10,000 a year, you only receive 50%. Once you consign, your item immediately goes on sale either before or at 30 days, then again at 45 days, and on. So, keep track of your items. Ana V. is right, TheRealReal makes a killing on returns, so when you buy, be careful. There's so much more that I could get into. My suggestion? Open an Ebay site. Sell there.

evelync71
12/18/18

My only purchases from TRR has been jewelry, but I wouldn't buy from anyone else. The valuations are thorough, and I print and file each purchase I make. That way, my eventual heirs will have no problem with identifying and evaluating my TRR purchases, although the same can't be said for my other pieces!
The valuation description prevented a fraud a local jeweler attempted to carry out. I took a ring in I had just purchased to be sized. After a week they called to say prongs needed to be replaced, which I reluctantly agreed to. A week later I picked my ring up, with a strong feeling it was not the same ring. Later, at home, I compared it to the valuation that TRR had done, and the stone was different dimensions, entirely. It was square, rather than rectangular, an arrogant substitution but also one easy to prove with the valuation.It was not an expensive stone, so it was only a misdemeanor. I settled for the value of the ring. Chilling to think of the jewelry repaired there without valuations, isn't it?
I've consigned only one piece, a ring, and was happy with the way I was kept informed during the process. The check from the sale was issued quickly.
I no longer have the order ID of the ring referenced in the review. I entered the one from my most recent purchase.

mbb3
12/13/18

Jamillah was very welcoming on the call and very knowledgeable on the call. I had ordered ordered a dress in one size yet received it in another. Jamillah was patient enough to dig into the issue and was able to solve the issue. She went above my expectation during a customer service call during the holiday season. I'm very pleased.

carmenr99
12/10/18

Such amazing customer service! Super friendly, helpful and kind! Jamillah's kindness and helpfulness made my shopping experience that much more special!

jenineh
12/10/18

Friendly, helpful and ready to assist with all of my inquiries. Great representation of your brand! Bravo!

anav60
12/5/18

The real real now charges $11.99 for EACH item you return, even if you send them in the same box. Of course they don't disclose this anywhere when you make the purchase. They are trying to discourage their main value proposition, the fact that you can make returns, at all cost. Oh, and did I mention they also don't cover return shipping? In addition to that, their customer service is horrific. Good luck if you get a response within 3 days. Will never shop there at all. With I could give negative stars.

kr142
12/3/18

Disappointed in the quality control of a few items. I consigned a brand new coat that had been shipped to me completely protected in plastic. The RealReal did not list it as new, just very good condition with a few pulled threads. (Inaccurate). Purchased two items that were listed as very good condition, but were really used and shoes scuffed. When I call to complain, there is never follow up or communication. I think they should listen to feedback from their repeat costumers. I came very close to not returning.

michelew88
12/2/18

I have ordered from The Real Real 13 times and have had some luck. I really enjoy finding clothing brands that are not readily found at the local mall. I have found some bargains as well. Don't look at the sizes, every brand is different, rather shop by your measurements.
I have had some problems. Sometimes the measurements listed are incorrect. I received a shirt once with no tag. I called the call line and only received store credit. Every clothing item has a tag. If the tag is removed you cannot return the item. Today I received a winter coat where the tag was place directly through the center of the sleeve! I am unable to get my arm into the coat without removing the tag! Finally I received a "new" ST John sweater with original tags. I wore it and found that there were several holes in the sweater! Since the tag was removed The real real gave me $20.00 store credit. This was not fair. While deals are to be found remember that postage for shipping and returns add up.

erumg
12/2/18

I have been trying to return a package since 20th November ( real real stated that it had already shipped out and they would process the return once they could get to the ups). After repeated international calls to real real, since I am based outside of America, the order has still not been returned and UPS keeps trying to deliver the order to my delivery address in Canada.
It has been extremely stressful trying to make returns and I am disappointed in their services.

alexanderh76
11/30/18

She was a Great help I really appreciate her and she stayed on top of UPS when they was given me the run around thank you

sabrinaf28
11/30/18

Made a mistake with an order, my own fault. They helped me solve it immediately and politely! Will definitely be doing more shopping here!

tiffanig1
11/27/18

This was my first order with The Real Real. I made an error with my order and Jamillah was very patient and kind with assisting me especially with it being my first time. She explained to me how the order process works. I felt at ease after speaking with her. Before my first order, I read some not so good reviews on Google about The Real Real's customer service not being good. I took a chance placing an order. I give you all a 5 star based on my experience.

mistyc77
11/23/18

Very easy to work with. Excellent customer service and very responsive. I would highly recommend them over any other similar site. Far above the rest!

marinam92
11/23/18

Very satisfied with the customer service.They are very prompt in response to a request and have found they resolve issues with prompt courteous service.

aj124
11/20/18

Over the past 2 months I had emailed and called several times to get information on a product which had been for sale for several months. No one returned my communications until Jamillah B, she was very concerned that I had not been given answers to my questions and she was able to get the answers, as well when we had to wait for another person to supply us with the answers, and that person was away Jamillah took it on to herself to go to the other department and physically look at the product and called me back with the required information I requested. If it was not for Jamillah I would not be a customer of The Real Real any longer.

antoniob84
11/18/18

As a very good/loyal customer - I must say that I was ready to never purchase anything else from the website/store ever again. I'm honestly still very upset about what happened and the decision that was made. I must say the help and love that I received from Jamillah B and her supervisor was freaking amazing! They both look at things from the customer's point of view - and being an adult we know that policy is policy but it still doesn't make it right to the customer. Jamillah, thank you for constantly checking on me and making things as right as you could. Not only are you an amazing person - your customer service skills, your witty repartee, and he fact that I could hear you smiling through the phone, saved me as a customer and also you should rewarded with some kind of medal. People should follow behind your customer relations skill as a model for excellence! Thank you so much for all that you have done and all that you do!

christinah162
11/16/18

Great follow thru, I appreciate the efficiency in helping me with my credit issue. I didn't expect the issue to be resolved so quickly so it was very much appreciated.

Do not buy from them!!! Their return/refund policy is skewed to their benefit. In my case, I bought a Louis Vuitton bag and when it was received it was not in the condition advertised or the photos did not highlight the real wear of the bag and they refused to make a refund or credit. It's their lost because I have since bought many bags on Ebay which offers guarantee of refund should item be faulty or misrepresented. Also, on Ebay you can judge by seller feedback whether the seller is reputable and PRICES are so much less than on the REAL REAL. Their name should be changed to the REAL GREED!!!

By yolanda g.

Yes... I could see if you were applying for credit but just for a simple purchase that you purchased with a credit card is completely unnecessary for them to ask you for your Social Security number.

By E F.

I do NOT recommend selling through TRR. Read all seller reviews. This a speed selling co trying to cash in on a quick commission. The prices they assign are RIDICULOULOUS at best. They are not there to get you a good price but a fast buck for themselves. They priced a brand new prada bag with a label on at $625. Minus 20% permanent discount, 60% of that, I receive a whopping $312. After 10 days wait of processing and seeing the prices assigned I pulled my items. I was shocked and even more upset. I rather give the cloths to charity or sell them myself. I think it is insiders who buy the best items at dirt cheap prices they assign themselves. As a buyer just today I receive a wrong item. They were going to research the problem and find the item I purchased, a coat. They sent me a dirty silk top... This is after waiting for 10 days to get the wrong item. This co is just very bad. Customer service is spotty. Some reps are just dreadful. They sound like this is a summer gig and they got no training, you can never speak to a supervisor, none is ever available, Read the reviews and decide if you still want to use this co. If you do, you will be disappointed,

By klara v.

Hi Frank, Thank you for reaching out. We apologize you have seen more negative than positive reviews. We would be pleased to advise you on our consignment process and share a little more insight about the RealReal.

By TRR S., TheRealReal Representative

I have returned things with no hassle at all.

By Janeen L.

Hello, We are sorry to hear of your concerns. If you can please send us your order number or email address we will happily research this further.

By TRR S., TheRealReal Representative

Hi John. I have some answers for you. If you receive a handbag that you suspect is inauthentic, please contact our Customer Service Department and note your concerns with them. You can reach the team at 855.435.5893 (option 1) Monday - Friday 10am - 6pm PST or via email at CustomerService@therealreal.com. The more specifics you provide regarding it's suspected inauthenticity the better we can assist you. We will then pass those concerns to our Authenticity Department to address and they will be able to pass on some major points of authenticity to avail your concerns. Our authenticators are trained in identifying points of authentication with an education that goes beyond what in store associates may have. Additionally, an answer of "we cannot authenticate this" from a brand is not the same as the item being inauthentic. Nevertheless, if you still believe the handbag is inauthentic, we will be happy to provide you with a shipping label to send the bag in for reinspection. Once the bag is reinspected, we will contact you with a number of solutions based on the outcome. We're always happy to make refund exceptions for our final sale items on a case by case basis. While it is absolutely your decision to dispute with your Credit Card company, we would prefer the opportunity to address your concerns directly and resolve the situation for you ourselves. Ultimately, we would never want you to have to keep an item you are unhappy with and will always be open finding resolutions that work for you. Hope this helps! Happy Shopping!

By Stan G.

If you like to be frustrated, disappointed and want to take a few years off your life, then yes consign with the real real.

By Miss U.

I work at The RealReal. To answer your question . . . all product is provided to us on consignment. If you're interested in consigning, I encourage you to visit our site and click on "consign" in the upper right hand corner. That will lead you through the process. Thanks for inquiring.

By Stan G.

I work at The RealReal. The answer to your question is that we price the boots between $50 and $125 depending on style and condition. Thanks for inquiring.

By Stan G.
Questions? Get answers from the TheRealReal staff and other customers.

TheRealReal?