Review of Opodo

Tel: 0333 300 0291
enquiriesuk@opodo.com

davidc205
4/16/15
You book your flights four months in advance from a European capital to a Latin American capital through the Pod People, and pay by credit card.

A week later you get an email telling you that some of your flights have been changed. The timings are OK.

A week later you get another email telling you that some of your flights have been changed AGAIN. The Pod People won't tell you what the changes are. They tell you that you MAY be able to learn about them if you hit a given link and provide your details. (You hit the link, and discover that the timings are impossible.) In any case the Pod People ask you to phone them as soon as possible to discuss the changes.

You ring the supplied number, and for twenty minutes you endure an assortment of hold-the-line musical inanities. You wait for a while and try again. Same story. No one answers.

You complain by email, and receive an immediate automated response which urges you to ring the same useless number that you have already tried.

You try to ring the number anyway, and are rewarded as before.

On the following day you get another email telling you that some of your flights have been changed AGAIN. Before trying to ring, you hit the supplied link, and enter your details. It doesn't recognize your surname, and won't tell you anything.

You decide to cancel, and manage to get through by phone to the cancellations department. You read out the reference number on the Pod People's most recent email, and are told that this number relates to a 'Mr Chadwick', not to anyone of your name. You read out the reference number for the Pod People's first change-of-timings email, and confirm your identity. Halfway through the cancellation process you are cut off.

Start again. You ring up once more, read out the reference number for the Pod People's first change-of-timings email, and confirm your identity.The process of cancellation takes half an hour, most of it filled with hold-the-line inanities (or actual silence when the man at the other end forgets to hit the music button).

You lose over $1200 because the fares are unrefundable. Why should you lose anything when you paid for tickets on certain flights which the Pod People chose to change?

Let me not weary readers any further with my second-person tale of horrors. If I have to travel in the future to some distant part of the world, I shall build and sail my own boat before I use the Pod People. In conclusion, a few words of advice.

NEVER, EVER, USE THE UTTERLY USELESS POD PEOPLE.
roberth156
4/9/15
Books a flight for a surprise holiday for my wife and myself with Easy Jet through Opodo ,.
Understood there would be a small service charge imagine my surprise when my card bill showed an increase of £50-00p + the card fee ,contacted Opodo they stated this price was shown on the conformation ,I couldn`t find it ,sent another "E" mail to them advising this guess what a conformation suddenly appeared showing the addition of the £50-00p.
I for one will never use this company again !!!!!!!!!

Tip for consumers: Think twice before you use this RIP OFF COMPANY.

clifforde4
4/3/15
Like many of the reviewers on here, I booked two flights and received a booking confirmation e-mail.

I phoned Opodo up to find out how my booking was doing and that told me that it had been cancelled due to RyanAir increasing the fare in between my booking and their ticket confirmation. This was after the initial response saying that there was a problem with my card. I aske if it was possible to rebook the seats. "Oh yes" they replied, "that'll be an extra hundred and odd pounds"

I stated that they had taken the full amount from my bank account so there fore the transaction had been completed. I likened it to me buying a jumper from a store, paying for it and on the way out the doorman asking me for an extra tenner.

After some complete rubbish from the indian guy on the other end of the phone (ANKIT is his name) he stated that my money had been refunded. At this point I was looking at my account on-line. No sign of the refund. Although for some reason they had taken £7:49 out of my account twice and refunded it twice. Then the full cost of the tickets. No refund. It was Bank Holiday weekend here so I can't check with the bank until Tuesday after the holiday.

I asked to speak to a manager and was put on Hold by ANKIT for around twenty minutes at 10p per minute and eventually spoke to another guy who knew nothing about it. Ankit had obviously just put me on hold and left it at that.

The new bloke wanted me to go through the same thing all over again and delayed the conversation (at 10 p per minute). I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor and he refused. Then he just rattled off some rubbish about not being able to help.

I still haven't got my money back. OPODO are a complete set of lying thieving con men and I wouldn't use them to get to the supermarket, never mind another country.

AVOID OPODO AT ALL COSTS.
kg39
4/2/15
Booked a flight online with Opodo, received confirmation of the booking then 2 hours later receive an email saying the booking had been cancelled by their 'internal' system due to suspected fraudulent activity. Telephoned and made exact same booking again and lo and behold, booking cancelled again by Opodo. Phoned and reached an alleged 'customer service representative' who, when I asked to speak to a supervisor said they 'didn't have time to take this kind of call.' Booked directly, spent less-don't bother with Opodo.
kenyap
4/1/15
Unimaginable that this is even a licensed operating entity! My best friend booked our tickets with her credit card and got an email 20+ hours after the fact indicating that the purchase could not be completed. She contacted her credit company who confirmed that there was no problem with her card or the ability for the payment to process. I then encountered the same exact problem and, again, my credit company confirmed there was no problem and that, in fact, they had not even attempted to charge my card. I then tried with my American Express. I received an email indicating that I would need to give approval to AE and to reply to let them know to go ahead with the payment.
Upon replying to the email with the confirmation from AE, the email bounced back that this is a NO-Reply email acct. Opodo's email does not include any other email address, only a UK number.
Thus, I called them and asked that they call me back as it was international. The lady, who refused to give her name, indicated "that is not part of our procedure." She then indicated that the price had now gone up, would I agree. Fine, since I was now paying for an international call. When she ran my card she indicated that it was declined.
I asked to speak with a Supervisor/Line Manager, same response "that is not part of our procedure." She indicated that there were no supervisors on the floor, she could not transfer me to one, nor could I leave my name and number to have a call back.; thus, no way to speak to a manager. She indicated that I should call AE again and then call back but, of course, the price would most likely be higher as they could not guarantee any booking for any time.
I contacted AE again and they indirectly indicated they have many problems with this company.
Never will we even consider trying to book with this company. If there were to be a problem with any part of your booking you will NEVER get a response, solution or avenue to assist with your concern, delay, complaint, etc.. BEWARE
garya22
3/11/15
We know what they are doing is deceitful and probably fraudulent. I've just been caught the same way, but as long as people use them in their thousands they will continue their dubious practice.

Has anyone considered going legal? I'm going through the Ombudsman at the moment but the worst that will happen to Opodo is they will have to refund the money they questionably took from me.

How about a class action? From the reviews I've read there must be thousands of disgruntled customers out there. Several hundred going through the courts might get them to change practice, or go out of business.

G.A.
job132
3/4/15
I booked this flight transaction via your website on 2 March 2015 and my email confirmation stated a total price of GBP £291.33 for this transaction, made up of £139.96 for the London-Ancona outward flight, £99.29 from the Ancona-London return flight and £52.08 for your Opodo handling fee. Today I noticed in my bank account that there had been a payment taken of £105.55 for the return flight. Neither Opodo nor Ryan Air sought my approval for this extra payment. When I raised this with Paula Juan this morning at Opodo she advised me that her manager was unavailable to speak to me and that I should write a complaint on the Opodo website and take up the matter with Ryan Air. I consider that Opodo's misrepresentation of the price of my flight and Opodo's removal of money from my debit card without my approval to be dishonest and fraudulent, and I seek immediate recompense, both for the money taken without permission, and the cost of my telephone charges this morning in seeking to achieve a refund.
I am raising this matter with Ealing Borough Councils Trading Standards Officer, the fraud/disputes department of my bank and IATA. Having researched Opodo this morning I have discovered numerous complaints about your customer service.
lisat64
2/28/15
Avoid Opodo. Avoid! I went online. I chose the British Airways option for the 07/08/15 to 24/08/15, with a 20 minute stop over in St Lucia. After taking my payment of almost £1400, I was sent confirmation for 01/03/15 to 24/08/15 on United Airlines with a 5 hour stop over in Miami. Then I was charged £250 to cancel the booking 2 hours later. They claimed it was my fault and could do nothing. I feel mugged.
musak
2/28/15
The staff are unprofessional, and dont know what they are doing. They tell you one thing and then do another and if you want to make any changes, its cheaper to buy a new ticked... May God help anyone using this company. I will never book through them again.
Totally useless!!!
mm116
2/25/15
Do not trust Opodo! I was purchasing a ticket to Spain through Opodo. until the very last stage in the booking and payment process, the final price I was to be charged with was written but when I gave my credit card data and purchased the ticket, an extra ~25% was charged from my card! So I contacted Opodo and explained the situation and they said that this has happened a couple of times before and that they would investigate the case and get back to me. However, even though I called them 3 times after that, they never got back to me with an explanation nor did they reimburse me. I will never purchase a ticket through Opodo again and I suggest that you do the same as the customer service is horrible!

Tip for consumers: DO NOT TRUST OPODO

juliac18
2/19/15
Oh, I wish I had read these reviews before using this awful company.

I would not advise using this company to book flights, unless you are using a Mastercard debit card. You will be charged at least an extra 7% without, as far as I could see, any due warning. I was really surprised when I realised that I had paid much more than I was expecting to pay, so I wrote to Opodo immediately. I finally received a reply, saying, "When you reach the payment stage, if you enter a card different to a Mastercard Debit, then the price will change to the new price for the service charge, plus any credit card fees (charged at 2.5%). This is still before you commit to 'Buy It Now'. As we have offered the opportunity to view the pricing before you select your flight and again before the flight has been confirmed for purchase, on this occasion, we are unable to offer you a refund of these charges.

I do not find this acceptable. So, if you do choose to use Opodo, just beware of this before you do.
christopherf23
2/11/15
We booked flights from Berlin to Salzburg, one way for 4 people. After searching numerous sites we found Opodo was the cheapest. We booked at at the last moment noticed their excessive booking and card fees however the total amount was about the same as others. It seems they just account for things differently but the outcome was the same. I went ahead and when i received the booking confirmation it was for return flights for 2 people and not one way for 4 people. I questioned them and they advised it was cheaper to do it that way and they would pass on the savings to us and they would cancel the return flights automatically. All very good however when i checked and requoted the return flights, same dates i found it was in fact almost AU$200 cheaper for the 4 of us, so you guessed it, they kept the extra money and did not pass on the discount. So not only are they liars but unethical too. So my warning is IF you are planning a one way section get a comparison quote for the return flights and compare, sometimes it's cheaper to book return, Opodo obviously knows this and loves the extra profits!
alastairt
2/5/15
Do not use them . They are the online site that when you book state that it is on request. First the website fell over so I called and spent hours on a premium line only to find it cancelled as they took down email wrongly. As I had booked others to meet us needed the flights. So tried on website again twice and both times thought it was booked to be cancelled for spurious credit card issues - on both cases they had not contacted credit card company
sandras60
1/25/15
Do not use this company. I tried to book flights online through their German site on 15 Jan and the transactions twice fell over at the last stage, without me receiving any booking number. When I got my credit card statement I discovered they had run two sets of debits and credits through my account at a cost to me of NZ$40.74 (due to processing and currency conversions). When I contacted their customer service department they stated they had never made the transactions, in spite of the evidence, then blacklisted my IP number as spam so that I could not pursue the matter further. They have been reported to my bank for fraud.

Tip for consumers: Avoid Opodo Travel

avp
1/20/15
Shocking experience. Cancelled flight due to "credit card issue" that they cannot explain. Credit card has no issue. Rebooked somewhere else and out of pocket. Rude people.
lisaw80
1/9/15
Absolutely terrible and still unresolved.

This is the first and last time I ever use this company. Not only was the booking process the most painful I have ever encountered, when I finally managed to progress the booking they have over charged me by over £100 and are still yet to properly make contact with me to reimburse and resolve.

They claim that the prices changed at the last minute but did not give me the chance to stop my payment...and I never would have paid that much for flights for a two night trip. I consider this fraud and I will escalate.

I recommend that no one ever uses this company again, they are appalling.
grahamb37
12/18/14
Please please please review this booking site before booking and see the scandalous way OPODO treat customers. Outragous hidden charges. Site crashes at crucial booking time (mysteriously). And customer services sucks. DO NOT USE THEM.
niken4
12/3/14
Booked on line received letter saying "booking on request", and informing me i will receive eticket and flight confimation within 24-48 hours. Received nothing, phoned Opodo( limited opening hours) on 3rd day, told booking had been cancel due to random checks to prevent fraud!! and i had been sent an email to inform me of cancellation!!, i was horrified as no email received, also Opodo had my phone number if they were concerned about payment details given online if there was error made etc. I insisted they needed to send me email of cancellation before they finally sent it. Now learnt my lessons and booked directly with a reputable airline at a lower cost than advertised by Opodo!!. Never again will i go through Opodo or middle man!!!
jennya9
10/23/14
Shocking! How do these people get jobs in Customer Service?!!

Our flight to Brisbane was booked via Opodo some months ago. Just before we were due to travel, I was unfortunately advised that due to rather serious recent health complications, I was not able to fly on 1st September as originally planned. As I'm sure you can appreciate this was devastating news, as we were due to emigrate having been successful in applying for our visas.

I called Opodo as soon as lines opened to cancel our flights. I spent nearly an hour trying to get through, waiting in a queue, then getting cut off. When I did eventually speak to a representative around 10am, she complained that she couldn't hear me properly & that it was a bad line. I explained I was on a land line so couldn't understand why the connection was so poor, to which she replied rather abruptly "We are having problems with our lines this morning, can you speak up?!"
I explained my situation and was advised about the cancellation policy. Because their phone lines were so poor,I had difficulty hearing and asked to clarify again what the representative had outlined..."So just to clarify, we get our tickets refunded minus the cancellation charges of £125.00 per person." Before I could even finish this statement, I was rudely interrupted with yet again an abrupt & frustrated tone in her voice..."I have just said that! - I just explained all this to you!?"

Having worked in Customer services my whole career, specifically customer support centres and having managed such teams, I was shocked by the lack of courtesy, empathy; taking into account the sensitivity of my situation & common decency this lady displayed. There wasn't even an apology on behalf of Opodo for the issues with their phone lines, & the frustrations in trying to get through to someone initially. Would you not expect a response such as "I apologise, we are experiencing some problems with our phone-lines this morning, sorry for the inconvenience."?

Whilst I appreciate it must have been a frustrating morning for the staff, I would be appalled if any of my team members handled a customer call in this way. I regret not taking her name.
How do such people get a job in 'Customer Service'?

I made an official complaint 3 weeks ago now & haven't even had an email in receipt of mine confirming it's being looked into.
cb64
9/6/14
I have had a terrible experience with Opodo. I booked flights to Italy with Easyjet and they slapped on a hidden charge of nearly £40 for using a Mastercard. £40! This was not indicated in any way at the checkout, there was no indication at all, and when I rang to get some clarity was told it was 'in the small print of the conditions'. What so they could have added any amount they like just because it is 'in the small print'. How dishonourable. I wouldn't have booked the flights with Opodo if I had realised their culture had changed so much. They should show a total that includes all the amounts. I find this deceptive and question its legality. I am so disappointed as have used Opodo for years and always found them terrific but I think they are clearly rotten now.

I am telling everyone about this. I travel a lot. Am appalled and a bit shocked.
bernardob20
6/24/14
A very big scam!!!
Opodo tried for 2 hours to cheat me out of the full refund that I was entitled to and in the end charged me 50 pounds for it.
I wanted to cancel a reservation that was made online the previous night. Both airlines that I was using do this with no issues in less than 5 minutes. The airlines policy is that you can have dull free refund if the claim is made within 24h of booking.
Opodo insisted they couldn't do it and that the airlines would not refund them. I had to call the airlines myself and they confirmed they would do the refund to Opodo.
Opodo then said they had a "same-day" policy not a 24-hour policy so they still wouldn't do it. Unbelievable because their service line is only open until 6pm so all reservations made between 6pm and 11:50pm cannot be cancelled on the same day.
Interestingly, I then noticed that my reservation confirmation was time stamped with mid-night so I was in fact in the same day. They had no reason not to have done the refund when I called the 1st time!!
I put this to them and yhey answered that in their system it showed 11:59pm
so they were still not going to cancel it.
After a lot of discussions they finally said they would refund me but would collect a 50GBP for the service... What service I wonder?
piotrs2
5/1/14
I booked my ticket. They charged me twice then proceeded to refund me twice but for a lesser amount. Each charge incurred a "foreign transaction fee." Then only about 2+ weeks later they charged me again! (another foreign transaction fee!). I did not authorize this and I am sure its not exactly a sound (or legal) business practice. No one there was able to give me a good answer as to why they were doing that.

Sent two emails. NO response.
Called (the extremely rude service people). Finally got a supervisor who promised to call me back by end of business day. No call.
Called the next day. Got the supervisor who promised a call back in two hours (made some excuse). No call back
Called again. And it took an hour for them to agree to refund the transaction fees and their "handling fee." If I'm going to pay a handling fee it's going to be for decent service.

They try to tell you to call the airline which is just a diversion.

Never use them.
davidl122
3/11/14
Again, a cancellation due to "possible fraudulent" payments and security concerns. Upon calling they cannot tell me exactly what their concerns are, but they definitely have them! All the flight prices have now increased by 20% and I am out of pocket. Technically they haven't done anything wrong... and this is covered in their terms and conditions... but even so, I won't be using them again, and I recommend that you don't either.
maryanns18
3/6/14
NEVER EVER USE OPODO. My mother is extremely ill so I booked a flight through Opodo four days in advance of departure and received confirmation. Two days before departure, I checked the airline website and found that my flights had been cancelled. I rebooked on another site then called Opodo to ask why my flights were cancelled and why I had not been informed of the cancellation. I was told it was an 'internal error' and it was 'taken care of'. I said it was their fault, I had already rebooked and did not want to be charged. I was told I needed to be put through to cancellations. The person in cancellations said they were new and not trained to do this so sent me through to admin who told me to read the terms and conditions and I would not get my money back. They sent me back to cancellations (hung up on me mid-sentence). By this time I was in tears. Then I received an email from Opodo to say flights cancelled and no charge. Person in cancellations finally confirmed I would not be charged. All this after spending 50 mins mainly on hold at 10p per min. What would have happened if I had taken their confirmation at face value and had not checked the airline website?
silviac4
2/18/14
I booked a return flight to Italy through Opodo, and the final price on the final screen, when entering credit card details was GPB 149.62. They sent me an email confirmation within minutes, saying "Total amount paid today: GBP 149.62". When I checked my bank statement, the amount they actually took was GBP 154.97!!

I wrote to them to say they made a mistake, and they replied saying it was because of the Euro exchange rate. I have to say that Euro price and exchange rate were never mentioned during the online booking and payment process. They basically stole 5 pounds from me!! I know it's only 5 pounds, but stealing 5 pounds from each customer: this is how they make money!!!!

Shame on Opodo

Guys, it would only cost you about £40 to take them to small claims court. Dont just take the loss, these people need to be held to account. Id also contact Rip Off Britain to get a programme made about their tactics

By Heth E.

You can complain all you like but once they have your money they dont give a tinkers cuss. Best form of complaint is social media like this site and face book.

By Christopher F.

Hi Anastasia. Our apologies for the delay to respond. Yes you can give us a call from anywhere on +34 934 920 533 or you can provide us your booking reference and a short message via this link at the end of this message and we would be happy to look into the matter. https://tinyurl.com/ka77d8u James Customer Care

By Opodo I., Opodo Representative

Hi Antony. Our apologies for the delay to respond. We are sorry to have read about your customer experience. Please provide us your booking reference and a short message via this link at the end of this message and we would be happy to look into your concerns. https://tinyurl.com/ka77d8u James Customer Care

By Opodo I., Opodo Representative

Hi Darrel, Thank you for your question. If you already have an existing booking, please send us your query via the following link: https://socialcare.opodo.com/en/support/login One of our agents will look into your reservation and advise you accordingly. Kind Regards, Amy - Customer Care

By Opodo I., Opodo Representative

Hello Saleh, Can you please send us your booking reference using the link below so we can look into this further for you: https://tinyurl.com/ka77d8u Best regards, Christos - Customer care.

By Opodo I., Opodo Representative

Hello Glenda, Can you please send us your booking reference using the link below so we can look into this further for you: https://tinyurl.com/ka77d8u Best regards, Christos - Customer care.

By Opodo I., Opodo Representative

Hello Sue, Can you please send us your booking reference using the link below so we can assist further: https://tinyurl.com/ka77d8u Best regards, Christos - Customer care.

By Opodo I., Opodo Representative

Hello Andrea, Can you please send us your booking reference using the link below so we can look into this further for you: https://tinyurl.com/ka77d8u Best regards, Christos - Customer care.

By Opodo I., Opodo Representative

Hello Kayleigh, We can see that your query was already answered through the call centre. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us. Best regards, Christos - Customer care.

By Opodo I., Opodo Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Opodo staff and other customers.

10 Photos for Opodo