Review of CheapOair

135 W 50th Street, Suite 500
New York, NY 10020

christinew99
2/21/18

I wish I had read these customer reviews first before booking flights through CheapOair. I feel like we were tricked into purchasing tickets on dates we did not want because of the way they set up their website. We entered our date we wanted to fly and found reasonable priced tickets so we went ahead and booked the flights. When we were asked to choose our seats there was an additional fee for each ticke and each flight (connections). We were not happy about this but figured that the price with the seat selections wouldnt be too much higher than other companies we have looked at before and we proceed with our booking. When we interned all of our billing information and seat selections there was a timer that said we only had one minute to complete our transaction so we quickly hit confirm. Then when we recieved our flight confirmation the dates had been changed! They had us flying on different dates than we requested and they immediately sent us a notice saying if we wanted to fly on our original dates requested that there would be a $300 change fee per passenger! I was so upset because we had no idea that they could change our itinerary dates without making it clear to us what we were really agreeing to. So I called there customer service. The website says cancel within 24 hours. So I asked them to cancel our booking, and their customer service representative said there was a $75 cancellation fee per passenger. I was irate! We had these tickets booked on the wrong dates and I could either pay $300 for the correct dates ( which I asked for) or pay $75 per ticket to cancel and have no flights at all. This company is dishonest and sneaky in the way the arrangement of their website. You think you are getting one thing but you are getting completely different dates and if you are not carful you may end up having to pay a lot more to get what you originally requested. I WILL NEVER USE CeapOair.com again!!

michelet30
2/12/18

I want others to be aware that Cheapo Air is not a good place to purchase airline tickets. Since booking our flight in September 2017, we have received multiple emails and requests to call them for different changes to our flights. The latest one is now arriving hours later than our original flight. We called to complain, and ask what was going on with so many flight changes. The Cheapo Air Rep. said "Sorry, is there anything else?" Wow! Terrible customer service, and I do not feel as though I am getting the service I originally purchased. What a racket, once they get your money, they are done with you. Furthermore, the forums that I have read said it is highly unlikely that Cheapo Air will issue any sort of a refund. As for me lesson learned. I will never book with Cheapo Air again - just a warning for others to shop around!

caseyd27
2/9/18

I had several awful encounters with this company when booking my honeymoon. After booking and confirming all of our flights through CheapOair, the airline made a major change in one of our flights. It took far too long to get an agent on the phone to fix it. They finally agreed to book one of my 4 flights on a different airline. I checked my itinerary a few weeks before leaving and despite being assured I was all set, CheapOair had never actually confirmed my booking with the separate airline. It took hours upon hours of being on hold and talking to several agents to get it fixed. I was only offered pennies as compensation for their mistake. Assuming the original flights I had booked were all set, off on our vacation we went. It turns out CheapOair had never actually confirmed ANY of our flights. At no point were we able to check in to any flight online and were forced to wait in long lines at every single airport due to their mistake. On top of it, when I complained via social media I received an email asking when a good time to call me to "reach a conclusion" was; when I replied to that email I received an auto-message telling me that was a non monitored inbox (not sure why they would tell me to respond to an invalid email other than just not caring about complaints or customers.) I then forwarded my response and the orginal email FROM THEM to their main email address. I received a rude response basically stating that they had already fixed the problem so why would I need to talk to them again. This is after they asked me when a good time to talk was! And, the problem wasn't even fixed! I was still not able to access or confirm any of my flight details online. It's very scary when you are traveling for 2 weeks and don't know if you will be able to get on any of your flights. This is hands down the worst experience I have ever had. Absolutely DO NOT USE CHEAPOAIR unless you want to add stress, hassle and rude customer service to your vacations!

cyrusk9
1/22/18

$40 Promo code didn't work. Called them right after purchase and they would not provide refund despite the fact that they are $10 more than airline direct, and that my credit card was not yet charged.

F- RATING ZERO STARS, BUYERS BEWARE, WOOF

Tip for consumers: GO DIRECTLY TO AIRLINE WEBSITE...

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Cyrus, the $40 promo is for upto 4 people traveling and to receive $10.00 off per person towards our service fee, because you were not charged a fee the discount was not applicable.. Our price match offer is only off other competing travel sites, and you needed to send the screen shot within 24 hours of the same flight, times, date, and the site to us, but we never received it. Our apologies for the inconvenience,.
alia272
1/4/18

I never recommend anyone to purchase any tickets from this website. They have the worst customer service which I have ever seen. We purchased flight tickets and reserved a hotel and our account got charged for numerous non-related charges on top of the actual hotel and flight costs. Overall they charged us $460 more which none of their customer services reps don't know what was the reason for these charges. They referred us to the supervisors but they refuse to answer our calls and emails. We are completely shocked by their behavior and attitudes. They literary have stolen our money from our credit card and don't want to respond. This is the absolute meaning of fraud and never ever recommend anyone to do business with them.

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Case has been resolved with the customer.

karenb360
12/30/17

I recently discovered that CheapOair charged me more than double the cost of a flight (than what the airline would charge). They stood behind all the cost was given to Air Canada. It has me wondering if CheapOair and Air Canada have a scam going on to get higher priced flights. Beware of this company and don't use them.

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Customer booked online a oneway ticket for Hawaii on Dec 27, one of the busiest and most expensive times to travel. Customer called us day of departure to ask about the fare, but because it was 2 months later, the flights for anything cheaper were sold out. Oneway fares are usually more expensive than if you book a roundtrip, unfortunately the flight out of Toronto could not be rebooked for a cheaper fare.
melaniem83
12/24/17

They will try to charge you $50 or $75per person cancellation fee even within 24 hours be persistent I had to call 3 times was told supervisors were in meeting How convenient I said .. then they said they would reduce fee. I refused and was given anaother number to call in the end they cancelled free of charge stating this would be one Time only I wont be back for a second time

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
We do have a 24 hour cancellation policy to receive a full refund of your original ticket purchase, however, we do charge a service fee for the processing of the cancellation, and processing a refund. This is advised on our payment page, as well as in our terms and conditions.
edr71
12/18/17

WARNING: Beware of this company.

Check, double check, confirm and have proof of the itinerary that youre before hitting that confirmation/submit button. You may be very surprise to find the dates and/or destination you requested different to accommodate the low travel price.

A few days ago, I spent several hours online surfing for a reasonable flight rate from Toronto to attend my nephews wedding in Miami on Dec 30th. After checking several different travel companies and different airlines, I discovered that the rate of $445 = taxoffered by Cheapoair was the most reasonable.

I decided to confirm an itinerary with Cheapoair. I bought tickets for my wife and myself travelling from Toronto on Dec30th returning Jan 2nd. Having spent all night surfing, I went to bed very relieved after hitting the submit button. I woke up to a nightmare with Cheapoair.

While checking my travel documents the next day I found that I was connecting in Miami to Pensacola Florida on Dec30th, with the same connecting flight on my return. I immediately called CheapoAir customer service to recify the mistake. I was connected to a very rude customer service rep who insisted it was my mistake and there was nothing he could do to help. He informed me that my money was with the airline and they were the only ones that could assist me.

I called the airline Westjet only to be told there was nothing they could do, since I booked with a travel agency. After several subsequent calls to Cheapoair, I was transfer to a cancellation rep, [who was equally as rude] she informed me that my only resolve was to cancel my present booking at cost of $100 and re-book to Miami for a cost of $1100.00 each ticket. I informed her that doesnt make any sense, I already have seats to Miami. I only need to cancel the 2nd leg of my flight. She informed me that it doesnt work that way.

Not going to my nephews wedding is not an option. This kid has been very near and dear to my heart since his birth. My only option is to travel to Pensacola rent a car, take the 10hour drive back to Miami and do it again on my return. Im a disable man, my wife is not in the best of health,. Thanks for nothing Cheapoair

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Ed, after looking over the reservation some how during your booking process you entered in VPS which is the code for Pensacola, with a connection in Miami. Unfortunately you cannot get off at the connecting city, otherwise the airline will cancel your return flight home. We did offer to assist with rebooking but with the lateness of booking the flights and going to Miami, many of the flights are booked solid, and with what's left was expensive so you decided to keep them as is. If you would have called us within 24 hours from the booking date, there may of been better options. Very sorry for the inconvenience!
clayh29
12/16/17

THIS COMPANY AND THIS WEBSITE IS TERRIBLE AND BORDERS ON SCAM. I AM FILING A COMPLAINT WITH THE FCC, THE FAA AND POSTING MY EXPERIENCE TO 850 FRIENDS. you can cancel within 24 hours of booking BUT THEY DON'T MENTION THE $50 PER PERSON CANCELLATION FEE.

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Clay, very sorry for the inconvenience. But we do advise you that you can cancel within 24 hours for a refund, but there is also a stipulation we do charge a cancellation fee. It can be found in our T&C as well as on the payment page right above the submit button before checking out.
tameemr
12/15/17

Although customer service is professional and well mannered they are horrible. They tell you to hold for 2 minutes but you're on hold for 20, they don't share information, they bounce you to different departments and they don't call you back if they hang up. Worst of all after 3 separate 1 hour expensive long-distance calls to them they still are not able to resolve a very simple issue. Perhaps because the more complicated their service is the more money they make from people who just give up on trying to resolve their issues. STAY AWAY - will never use their services again.

valdemirog
12/14/17

I have booked various flights throughout the last two years with them both international and national. Currently I am located in South America.

I would tend to agree they always have the best prices even if by a few dollars it's always the cheapest offers I see out of all similar online companies.

That being said there is definitely a lack of customer care professionalism at times and to be so blunt a lack of proper training. Their internal system is also a bummer as just today I booked another flight and had to argue roughly 5 minutes with the operator to get them to honor the quoted price on the site.

So far with Cheap O Air there have been no trip ups in my experience. I truly hope to always avoid this low standard of service and quality specially as I am already booked for my next flight.

Fingers crossed I would recommend this site. That's one customers opinion.

Tip for consumers: Call them and buy directly!!

Avoid the website!!

adrianc64
12/13/17

I tried booking a flight on a certain date and didn't pick the option of flexible but it did it anyway and booked a different date, when I wanted to fix it and call they wanted to charge more, for a mistake that their system made, very disappointed in the staff that didn't even tried to give me a good or proper solution other that keep charging me for everything. Will not buy here again.

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Our website does not change the dates once you have selected the flights. We do display flexible dates first on our website if they are cheaper, regardless of what was entered for the search. You have to move further down on the availability, to see the dates you want. However, this was not done therefore we offered to change the dates, and collect the appropriate airfare for the dates that you required. Our apologies for the inconvenience.
siratb1
12/10/17

No cancellation policy; terrible customer service and no ethics.They make up their own rules to dupe you. BUY FROM AIRLINE DIRECTLY.

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Sirat, our apologies for the inconvenience. The reservation that was booked does allow cancellation, however, it is non refundable. You will have the credit for future travel if you wish.
kellyp98
12/3/17

This is a scam. They will try to charge you for reversing your seats or when you try to cancel your booking in first 24 hours. It doesn't say anything about cancelation fee until you call them and try to cancel. I believe this website is operated by Indian, and all they want is to charge you as much as they can.
To: whoever replies to all reviews. The more you try to explain to the reviews, it makes you look worse. If there were only couple bad reviews about your airline, maybe it wasn't your fault. But sorry, there were hundred of them. You are a scam.

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
HI Kelly, sorry to hear you didn't have a pleasant booking experience with our Travel Agency. We will be glad to discuss this further with you, and point you in right direction to locate the information on our website, so that you have a better understanding of our cancellation policy, and seat policy.
thaot5
11/30/17

I don't have anymore strength to deal with them! But enough to ask you not to support them and go purchase tickets from another agency.

mishab7
11/25/17

I used them once, and everything went well. I assumed they were the same as Kayak. Howver, 4 years later they charge for seat selection - something nobody else does- and cancellations - $50 per person domestic and $75 a person for international flights. They upsell you insurance, which is not out of the ordinary but they call you creepily after your booking making sure you spend more money on insurance and select your seats. Don't use them, go with literally anybody else.

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Misha, sorry for the inconvenience of our sales team calling to add additional products. Many customer's don't realize the importance of having insurance for those unforseen situations that may arise, or just simply having a seat assignment which protects your from an over sold flight, and the airline not having a seat for you. We realize that some people may not want the added contact from us, there fore our apologies, and the feedback is appreciated.
kathyj60
11/25/17

I went to book a flight from Chicago to Dublin and then Edinburgh to Chicago on December 15th and return December 26th. That was what I was booking. After giving them my credit card information and hitting the book button suddenly my flight was Chicago to Dublin and then Glasgow to Chicago on December 17th and December 26th. When I called immediately to change or cancel I was advised that to cancel I would be charged $150 and to change the fee would be over $300. I could see the flight on line that I needed but the agents could not book those flights, only the more expensive flight. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that there are no supervisors as they are "independent" agents and can do what they want. He did eventually cancel the trip for a $50 cancellation fee.

I was told that they could "see" my screen and that I knew that it was an alternate airport, but to see itinerary from alternate airports you have to deliberately click on a different tab. I did not do this so this seems to be there stock answer.

This is a rip-off and scam to get you to pay more than what they advertise on line.

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Customer purchased online and didn't see that the return flight was out of another airport. This option known as nearby airport feature had a cheaper fare for those who are flexible and want to save money. We do offer the option to change to the correct itin. you want and pay the add collect, or cancel with the cancellation penalty. But once flights are chosen and submitted for purchase, we do not change anything.
blythec
11/22/17
• Updated review

After months of correspondence, long holds on the phone, Cheapoair offered to reimburse me with about fifty percent of what was due. I chose to accept their offer rather than having to keep up the back and forth correspondence.
Not happy, but it is behind me know.

“Lack of honor”
11/20/17
• Previous review

Hard to believe but I have in writing from CheapOair that I am due a credit of $1192 less $300 handling. When it was issued I told the rep that it seemed like a large credit (since I had already travelled the outbound portion) but he said this is the amount and sent it in writing. I went to use the credit, and CheapOair now says they have made a mistake and won't honor more than $410. Long story short, I don't have anymore strength to deal with them, but just enough strength to ask you not to support them and to purchase tickets from another agency.

johna742
11/21/17

Booked for a specific date, and got a total different date, and wanted more money to change to the correct date. These people are a scam and rip off. My recommendation is to never use this company, they screw you over in every way. Total fraud when it comes to getting a refund or change dates. Cheapoair sucks!

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
JOhn, our apologies for the inconvenience. Our site is set up to offer alternative travel dates first, for a much lesser fare. We do advise in several areas through out the booking process that you have chosen different dates, however this wasn't caught until after the purchase was made. As a travel agency, we do have to collect the applicable airfare for the dates needed. We must follow the rules of the ticket purchased.

jakeb78
11/21/17

I booked 4 tickets with these folks then was immediately called to pay extra for a seating plan so that my family can sit with each other. When I told the representative that I would just like to cancel he tried to just sell it more. When finally transferred to cancellation rep, he in turn told me that there would be a $50 cancellation fee for each ticket (Not 5 minutes after booking).
I don't know where they come off being a giant turd.

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Jake, the flights you booked were on Spirit airlines, Spirit does charge for pre-assign seating, and with you traveling over the xmas holiday we do call and assist the customer in booking seats to make sure they have no issues at the airport. Our apologies for the inconvenience, our intentions were to make a stressful travel period easier.

marym585
11/20/17

They charged my credit card sent a booking number and the flight was never booked... they did this twice.
They keep u on hold for long periods and you can never speak to a manager !!!!
Not sure why they are allowed to operate
Will be suing them

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Mary, we have tried calling you several times to discuss this with you, but unfortunately we only receive your voicemail, which we have requested your call back. Resolving this is important to us.
heides3
11/18/17

Booked for a specific date a flight for $81, when I got the confirmation email the date was different so I immediately called the cheapoair customer service number to resolve the issue he told me I chose the alternate date because it was cheaper? I did not so beware..to change the date to what I needed costed an additional $95 says the rep on the phone the flight ended up costing me $186. They would not budge even tho they they were advertising the same flight on their website for $92.60? I could have booked thru spirit directly for $112. I will never use cheapoair again. Buyer beware. The funny thing is I could have paid the $50 cancel fee and rebooked thru spirit directly and still saved money.

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Customer purchased an alternate date, being focused on the $81.00 price. When she realized it was not the date she actually needed, we did have to collect the applicable airfare for the date she needed.,Our website does not change dates when flights have been selected. We do give you the option to cancel with a fee, or to pay the applicable airfare for your travel dates.

mattm161
11/17/17

I received about 8 phone calls from CheapOair after purchasing 4 tickets over Thanksgiving 2017. I answered the 3rd call, and after I discovered they were trying to upsell me on upgrades that I had already declined online, I requested they add me to their DO NOT CALL list. The woman agreed, I hung up, and she called me back 4 more times. Then the next day a different person began calling me trying to threaten me to purchase travel insurance, claiming "they won't give me a single penny" back if plans change unless I purchase their ridiculous insurance. I'm now convinced they're nothing but a spam company, and I'll never be using them again.

bethl54
11/15/17

I booked and after I noticed a name was spelled incorrectly I tried to change it and they had me call the airline. I did this and the airline cancelled my booking and told me to have Cheapoair rebook it. It's been 2 weeks and I still have NO refund, NO credit. these guys are scammers.. I will NEVER do business with them agai

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
Refunds can take upto 30 days to his your bank account from the time it was canceled. The charge was disputed within 7 days, therefore it delayed any process of refund, but since has been resolved, and paypal account has been refunded. Our apologies for any inconvenience you experienced.
natalied53
11/15/17

This site is a classic example of using bait & switch tactic. After putting in my flight dates the search came up with alternate dates without making it very clear & without me specifying I was okay to travel on different dates. 10 minutes after booking a flight on the wrong date, I called to cancel & they want to to charge me $50/ticket for a cancelation fee. 24 hour rule doesnt apply to travel agencies was their reasoning. This is 100% fraud!

Response from CustomerService C., CheapOair Representative
We offered flights with flexible dates first because they were cheaper, some customer's like these options, and if not, you can move down the list of availability. We also provide you with 3 different alerts that you have selected flexible dates and we show the dates, and the savings. You can either accept what you have chosen, or you must opt out of the option where it will take you back to the availability screen. Unfortunately this was not done, and customer got the alternate dates. As a travel agency, we do follow the 24 hour cancel policy for a refund of your airline tickets, however, service fees are at the discretion of the individual travel companies. Customer was charged $25.00 cancel fee per person, however, since has been refunded the $50.00.

I would not use Cheapo under any circumstances. Look at the 698 (!) complaints at the Better Business Bureau website. They hide under the name Fareportal, which is the parent company.

By David L., CheapOair Representative

Its is a real agency but not a good one. They book unavailable fligjts and then you have to call and go thru several people to make sure they dont charge you. DONT USE THEM. Book thru other sites or airlines themselves.

By Donna S., CheapOair Representative

I have used Cheap Air many times over the years and have NEVER (knock on wood) had ANY issues with security. In addition I just print off my confirmation and my ticket has ALWAYS been there. Planning on booking another trip next month! Very happy with my experience with them!

By Darlene T., CheapOair Representative

they are good but there policies are not good

By Terrance J., CheapOair Representative

It is 24 hrs but I would suggest not to buy ticket on their website. There are many hidden aspects in their tickets and hence they can sell it at lower prices but yu might end up spending more eventually. I suffered myself recently and had to buy a new ticket for my travel as they gave me a bad ticket.

By Shrikant B., CheapOair Representative

Don't book with them for a car rental. Did this and the rental agent at Advantage said they don't honor "third-party" bookings and had never heard of them. Our car cost triple what was quoted. Oh, and they charged $15.00 to my credit card to "reserve" the car. I tried to complain but on hold for hours, tried email complaint, etc. I gave up. Great experience booking a flight but horrible on the car. Don't waste your time booking a car with them, it doesn't get honored.

By merv f., CheapOair Representative

I disagree with Catherine F. My confirmation was not sent immediately, it took about 15-20 minutes, but they will send one.

By Miles S., CheapOair Representative

I have been trying to get a hold of a representative to change my flight time & none of my calls event go thru --what # are you calling?

By darina b., CheapOair Representative

I agree with the above. Call CheapOAir customer service. I have used them several times and they have been very helpful.

By Melanie G., CheapOair Representative

In case you have selected "flexible dates" and you do not reply to the email they send you within 24 hours they will end up choosing and buying with your credit card another ticket for you. That is simply not correct. The buyer should have always the last word if they use your credit card.

By Barragues A., CheapOair Representative
Questions? Get answers from the CheapOair staff and other customers.

14 Photos for CheapOair