Review of IMVU

Redwood City, CA 94063
Tel: 650.321.7263

whok1
7/17/19

That's right guy's grab you a 13 year old and do your thang HELL if the parent's can't raise their kid's why should we....

kathleenm392
7/5/19

In looking at this program/site I understand why our world is so screwed up. People have an opportunity to virtually create the world they want and what is IMVU full of???? Rooms where enacting pedophilia, bestiality, rape, all form of violence against women, necrophilia and any other sick perversion people can think of. One good look at the majority of the AP rooms is evidence enough. Couple that with a company who not only permits users to steal from each other, cheat buyers by changing sold products, removing inventory products and like so many companies, repeatedly removing benefits that were part of the program initially. They promote hidden gender and orientation in the name of pc - I call it BS.

Tip for consumers: shipping and returning don't apply. Just don't expect honesty, openness or communication. Expect to be ripped off, lied to and cheated by nearly everyone on there now as well as the company itself.

akirak3
6/18/19

I wasted $20 on imvu credits for my character and i thought it would get rid of the "guest_" tag in my name, WHAT A WASTE OF TIME! turned out that i had to pay $20 on paypal, i refuse to get paypal and go through a long process for such a small issue.

good riddance!

mcz
5/19/19

Ya, I just confused with imvu. Oh it's for chat/games.. pretty good though. Even I'm confused and ya that's it

henryg159
5/17/19

This is so $#*!ing stupid u only support the famous imvu players ur challenges are retarded u should really make them easier and make them able to enter from the app not having to go to a website that makes no sense your wheelspins are stupid make the higher and make it easier to get money like for people who's phone can't install your verification apps on your free money websites and make the default look better and give u more credits when u start off playing like 10k and I spent so much time on this damn game and as u make credits there gine straight away I'm going to give this game one more chance

samo51
4/15/19

This game is actually a representation of how a $#*!ty game should be. At first when I played this game i thought it was pretty cool becaue it had cute clothes etc and they give at least 4000 free credits, but the moment you run out of credits and try to earn more it is a huge pain in the ass, they make you do a million surveys for almost 40 mins just to give you 10 credits when it says your supposed to get 1000. And dont even get me started on how weird and rude the people are on this game, your just gonna have to play it for yourself because I am not about write about that $#*!. And the graphics are trash, the maps are ugly and its just a retarted game overall.

mariac496
4/1/19

I am not pleased with this game. Because we have people on here who should be banned for what they do to others who are just trying to make friends and go places meet people. They pick on me for no reason ban me from their place call me inappropriate names that makes me not wanna go on imvu. It's just sad. I would have this app shut down if I were you! For are own sake. Thank-you!

jackm76
3/9/19

This is a site that allows hackers and scam artists to run rampid in their system while legitimate users are hassled for no good reason ! I was a member in good standing for over a year in this dump ! And because someone didnt like that my rooms were becoming popular my account was disabled ! They are thieves and scam artists , overcharging for stuff and doing what they want to do , not what is right ! I wouldnt go back to them now if my life depended on it !

kirstanc
1/5/19

Every time I try and log into IMVU on my laptop, it stops me and ask for all this type of information for my parents consent. It tells me to wait 72 hours for a email. After I wait 72 hours, they still never send me or my parent an email. I don't know what to do anymore. Even though I try over and over again, they don't send it. Can someone please help me. It's beginning to upset me horribly.

flairc
11/25/18

The age division on imvu is ridiculous and ruins the whole experience for me. I get you don't want 13 year olds talking to 20 year olds but the fact that all of my friends are born in the same year as me and are 18 but because I have a late birthday I can't play or even message them is downright idiotic. I talk to them in person and know them irl and it's incredibly frustrating I can't go to the same chat rooms or anything because I'm 17. You are basically saying you would rather me talk to a 13 year old who isn't in the same realm of mental maturity as I am than someone who is. Which is down right ridiculous. It's so aggravating to play alone when all my friends are in a whole over side of imvu from me and are enjoying themselves. Not to mention in most places the age of consent is 16 which means literally talking to an adult isn't a crime. This hard division between ages is why I'm going to stop playing this game as it has done nothing but cause me stress and feel less than all of my friends because I was born late.

xxqueenathenaxxt
11/10/18

I had been with imvu for at least 9 years or even more and the one time i had made the mistake of disputing i get disabled...... now i gets a new account and that gets banned ....now months on in i come to them with everything they needed and im ready to get my old account back.... there customer service is GARBAGE how can you forcefully make someone wait on you to help for 3 DAYS STRAIGHT! before i left i had to see kids on there hacking people and they wouldnt get banned or old people on there trying to get little kids and they wouldnt get banned but because i didnt mean to pay for something i get banned and get played around over an account. IMVU needs better training on customer service

juliag105
10/22/18

Years ago IMVU was great fun to be around. There were more adults and it seemed that they had separated adults from kids (not sure though). We used to be able to chat and meet up with friends, there were people of all kinds, one being disabled said they went there to dance!

I met some really intelligent chatty and fun people.
Now, however, there is zero chat, you can go into rooms and the rooms are flooded with guest avatars. For some reason, imvu decided to market to kids under a certain age, not sure, around 11 to 13 years old. So grownups have left to SL. All that is left is nothing really. Like a nuclear war zone. Beggers, posts begging for money and people asking for Instagram followers.

crystala59
9/14/18

I've had an account on IMVU off and on since the client first started. It was never intended to be for children or young teenage base. Originally known for its virtual reality and the ability to date others (Instant Messaging Virtual Universe) IMVU is just what it sounds like...envy.. Since growing with the client, I've noticed it has quickly sunk through the site being slowly directed to a young audience. How did it get to this point? There were times you could bond with others virtually, make long term friendships and join club type groups. You could hang around and hold conversations about almost anything. Granted communication has become easier over the years, instead of silent chats and I do appreciate that the rooms are friendlier than quick boots. Should you let your kids on this client? If they are over 18, responsible and taught caution when interacting with strangers. Is it for children? NO!

perf1
7/26/18

This is a community run by arrogant pricks who assume you owe them something. They are never wrong and when you assume they are they will either ban you or shame you on their social media platforms. If you do try IMVU just be sure to run in the right circles, because not doing so will leave you feeling unfilled in what you have invested. Im VIP and spend a lot of money, however they do not care. They cater to their choose and they dont mind that you know that.

staceyt33
5/24/18

I am absolutely disgusted how this site is allowed to operate. It is full of sexual predators and vulnerable children being taken advantage of, it made me physically sick to read some of the things adults are saying to children and encouraging them to say and do. AND YET the site has zero safeguarding for children. Thankfully I found my daughter's profile before she was forced to do something she would regret for the rest of her life.

It says it's only suitable to 17+ but my 13 year old managed to open an account without lying about her age and within 24 hours she was enticed to "go find a boyfriend" by what can only be described as a system generated message and then she was groomed, asked if she would have sex, send naked pics, taught how to sext, told to give her phone number and snapchat account details where the abuse continued.

The report user function on this site is hard to find and even then completely pointless as vile animals are allowed to keep their profiles after knowingly grooming & sexually exploiting children. It should be shut down and the developers locked up.

davidb635
2/16/17

I've been on IMVU for 1 year now, met some cool people on it. Been asked a bunch for dates, gifts, sex, credits, etc., stay out of Chat Now, that's where all the nuts are. I mod in a club, love it, get both sides of the story.

ashleyy13
Emmaline W.
4/19/16

This website is a "digital world" and online community. It is a very nice place to be if you obey the rules and be nice to people. Many think that the website is insecure because of it's uncommon nature. This statement is untrue because I have trusted their website more than once with my personal banking cards. In the end, I have determined that it is definitely a worthwhile website to visit with a good reputation.

Tip for consumers: It would be unwise to fall for too many "marketing schemes" that they employ.

donnak47
4/5/16

Been fighting to get my account back online again but there help center refuses to put my account back online again even when I got 4 of there staff fired for harassing me for 6 years on this. I like IMVU but I don't the staff there anymore and person named Sinafay who don't work for IMVU is damaging it and making customers over pay more on there. A update on this sinafay is still taking over IMVU via mule accounts and letting forum mods and CS hack into account from the dark web.

nintyninew
11/29/15

Personally I love IMVU as a concept. I have several rooms including a gothic underground tomb night club, several cars, the creators are amazing and really think this stuff out hell even my Avatar looks just like me, dresses like me and I even get hats that are as close to my own which I customize myself in RL. I like to post it as a default in other chats and people comment how close it is all the time. Great Graphics though walking with free range would be nice instead of just popping up where the little spots tell you to go but we can live with that. Last but certainly not least creative users that become creators and put such beautiful detail in their products you can buy.

So what is it I don't like? Where to start.

1) I didn't like being accused by their trouble making moderators of being warned 14 times in my first week I was there when actually it was two. Some peoples started bullying me in a room I liked going in because it was quite till they got there and I got a warning and the second time some guy ran his mouth at me so I said a few things back and I left. Both times I got the warnings and I was fine with that. But 14 times? Did they really think just because I was a Newbie that meant I was stupid? Please both those people where VIP and probably giving so much money to IMVU they had a free pass to do anything they wanted.

Anyway after I made my point the Mod that tried to lie about how many reports I had changed it to 4 reports which was still one more than in reality after the last one which that one I probably did get a little more mouthy than I should have to be fair, then than that Mod blocked me from being able to answer back ever again..

Really, if you're a Mod you should ALWAYS keep yourself open to hearing out the people you are accusing with an open mind or get the hell out of that seat. You don't belong there.

2) Customer service. Rude, their answers are pre-written and when their copy paste BS don't work they blame your equipment even though it all works fine until THEIR update, like having to find out what's wrong with all my youtube players from different venders with every other update or why the thing just crashes after a new update is installed until a new update comes around and it works fine. but of course that's the users fault and they don't know anything.

3) it crashes, some times ALLOT! it causes everything to lag. Back in 2008 it was recommended to have a 4 core with 6 gigs ram. Really? Who even had that hi grade of computer back then? It's obvious they really only want money bags in there to feed their pig, not some normal loser like me that has to build budget boxes and get's a $10.00 card every month or so.

4) I hear they also like to get creators to create real nice products then ban them with false statements of using illegal software or fabricating a warning list they never produce and then taking the persons products they banned and continuing to sell them with out giving any payment to the creator. Which I'm inclined to believe because to go along with this their free Credit games, don't touch them, you get no game, all the sudden your computer runs like hell and if you do a Rootkit scan you will most likely find it and a few other malware in your device that wasn't in there before. As your Credit card info and other personal info is stolen because of this they say doesn't exist you can bet that your bank account will be a skinny next time you look into it. Glad I don't keep money or PI on mine, because I have had to pull the viruses... That according to moderators that troll their forums are impossible to exist.

5) The moderators. Not only do they fabricate lies about your record to make an excuse to throw away the little spenders and new comers as they tried to me and just use Google you can see I'm certainly not the only one, but they allow people to use it as a hackers paradise although they will ban a person stating they are allegedly using stolen software or not authenticated apps. I don't hate hackers. God knows I keep some Anons at the ready on Facebook for information however I don't like troll hacking. It's where you go in, talk s@#$ to a person to get them to talk s@#$ back and then use that as an excuse to hack that person when they are defending them selves. True bully tactics. In the real world most people shun this behavior but IMVU rewards it. Makes sense considering IMVU has a reputation them selves for slipping in Trojans to those looking for a good deal in their offerings.

6) the youtube players stop working after roughly every other update of the app. Once again I am having that problem. I refuse to ask the staff again what to do because it will always be the same run around, check this, change that and see if this is installed right and look for this update. Pre-Written copied and pasted just like always with no avail. Then some one will pop up saying HERE try this patch which usually does work but not tonight. I'll have to wait for the next update to get those back online again which leads me to my final issue about this problem. It took almost an hour to DL the new IMVU app, you mean with that over bloated POS that looks just like the other one before but took this long to DL where others only took about 10 minutes they couldn't get the youtube players to function correctly.

And yes I know they are creator supported but when I have 3 players made by 3 creators and once again they stop working with an app upgrade that's a pretty sure thing it's the app, not the player. I know my flash is updated because it always is and just to make sure I updated it again.

The way I look at it those are all significant issues that need to be addressed for this site to be safe and reliable. God knows it's really not that secure because they say don't give out information but as soon as you put your CC info on it, their servers have that information which seem to get hacked allot from what I also understand so...

2 stars for a site I love so much but hate so much about.

aureliang
11/14/15

Read their ToS, they will permanently ban you easily. Costumer support is very slow and most of the times (depending what you're writing about) they will not answer at all. They won't unban accounts, they don't care how much money you spent and have even disabled credits reselling.

Tip for consumers: Don't give them money, if you're banned, they won't even look at your case, just tell you that they're "understanding your egerness" and they are "sorry".

jennh7
10/17/15

They are far inferior as for customer service, i have spent a $#*! ton of money and they don't even try to retrieve my $#*!ing account they suck ass and i would never recommend this to anyone.

stevew137
9/16/15

I was on imvu for a year. Lots of shortcomings - graphics and dot movement are inferior. Try http://3dxchat.com/

katk7
8/18/15

IMVU, as with any internet site, can be accessed by ANYONE. That said, if you do not feel comfortable coming into contact with people from ALL walks of life, then perhaps this is not the place for you.

IMVU profiles are intended for ages 13+. Until the user is 18, they require a parent or guardian to agree to the terms and conditions. (http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_info.php?section=Info&topic=terms_of_service)

IMVU is divided between users aged 13-17 and then the 18+ Adults. The younger audience cannot access the 3D chat rooms of the 18+ audience unless they are invited by another user currently in the room (For example, my 18+ account could invite my 14 year old sister to an adult room. But only because I knew the EXACT name of her avatar). Forums and other aspects of IMVU are strictly aged blocked.

However, not everyone selects their real age when creating a profile, so this is where most issues occur!* I have encountered many minors with profiles stating they are aged 20+ and some of which have experienced content that I believe they are to young to witness. Some of them have even tricked their parents into buying them AP and saying it was VIP (more information on that below)..

Basic Info:

~VIP is $9.99/month that provides the user with 5000 credits and a room bundle per month, the ability to 'whisper' to VIP users and create VIP-only rooms. More information from the link here: (http://www.imvu.com/vip_club/)

~AP (Acess Pass) is a one-time fee of $19.99 for users with profiles 18+. This provides access to ADULT CONTENT clothes, furniture and rooms. Content such as nudity, BDSM, profanity, sexual themes, the consumption of Tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana..(http://www.imvu.com/accesspass/)

~IMVU is a FREE 3D chat site. However, special profiles (ie. AP and VIP) have a cost and users are able to simply purchase credits for buying clothes, furniture and rooms for their 3-D chat experience. However, said credits can be earned without a cost to them by surveys, videos and peer reviewing items in the shop.

Tip for consumers: *If your child is interested in IMVU, or is already a member, please ensure their profile matches their true age. This will aid in providing an age-appropriate content experience.

hfjgbdgsj
8/2/15

unless you want to spend all your money on this then don't go on it, you can't do much without credits or vip and they made it soooo hard to even get promo credits smh its getting worst and worst

ayanaf
6/7/15

I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT!

Don't know how to. I'm confused comment. Come confused commentary

By Mc z.

If your on Twitter or Facebook you could message the CEO about it. I use to try to login like normal and something would pop-up where you'd be redirect to customer service and fill out help ticket. Before getting pass the login you'd have to input your account avatar name, password and I think email address.

By w c.

Using IMVU for real matchmaking or love connection is taking a dangerous risk. You really don't know who the person is behind the avatar. Some had to escape dangerous persons and others have mysteriously turned up missing. Don't give out any personal information about yourself. Don't be drawn into drama of other peoples real life going ons. Play it safe and sensible in not doing any real. Keep it imvu only! What slipped through the cracks which imvu hasn't taken care of is unsupervised children who managed to get access pass. Without age verification badge the risk of being around children has returned. Do not assume they are adult just cause they have access pass or vip. Best to stay clear of them. Instead of holding the parents responsible imvu punishes innocent adults who don't know they are minors. By having their accounts temporarily banned or permanent deleted. Don't make a public room have access pass without age verification. It looks like kids getting access pass through the parents credit or debit cards have returned. Imvu really needs to partition the community of children from adults. If you see a member's age being 100 it's a child who cleverly got past the required age limit of 14 to join. Parents need to watch their kids activity on there when ever they go on imvu. Human trafficking is at large.

By w c.

Questions? Get answers from the IMVU staff and other customers.

5 Photos for IMVU