Review of BikesDirect

2017 Customer choice award

26 reviews with 4 stars

nickp162
2/9/19

I've purchased two bikes from Bikesdirect.com. The first one purchased I've had for two years with no issues.

The second bike that I purchased arrived a few days ago and I had professionally assembled. Unfortunately, on my very first ride the back tire blew out exactly 1.02 miles in to the ride.

I took the bike back to my local bike shop who indicated that the inner tube was no good and they replaced for a nominal fee (~$22).

I immediately reached out to bikesdirect (Larry) to see what they could do here. Initially, Larry indicated that the tire was not properly inflated and that wasn't covered under their warranty. The bike store, of course, says the exact opposite.

Look, I don't know who is right or wrong here but Larry offered to send me another inner tube free of charge. Of course, we already paid to have the problem fixed and the tube does me no good now but it's at least good to have on hand in case another tire goes out.

I appreciate Larry's response, while not perfectly ideal (a $22 credit would have been nice) and since we've had no issues with the first bike in two years, I think a 4 star rating is warranted here.

I would consider purchasing another bike from bikesdirect.com

freddym33
11/11/18

The old school looking website is kind of an eyesore for me at least, though I still gave them a shot and was pleasantly surprised at their efficiency and good attitude.

mk187
1/24/18

I'm handy. BD.com is great with follow up service. Larry, he #1! . . . #11? . . . no numba1

Be Kusssh
Chandler, AZ!

bens255
1/17/18

Bike arrived with small damage to the front brake. One quick email to BikesDirect with a few photos and explanation, and a new set of brake levers was shipped to me right away. Larry's quick response with apology and resolution for the problem is the kind of customer service that is lacking today in so many businesses. I will buy from them again!

krasia
10/31/17

Got a bike from them (mid level single speed) anti was making a clanking noise when pedaling. Larry from the team responded immediately to my e-mail, requested a video and correctly identified a faulty freewheel. He sent me a replacement which a local bike shop popped in and voila - no clanking! Larry is awesome! The bike, well - I can't expect much from a $289 - and this delivers!

brendonk2
5/18/17

I ordered my Motobecane single speed and the bike arrived as scheduled and in perfect condition. Upon riding it, there was a knocking noise that sounded like it was coming from the bottom bracket or freewheel. I emailed BD and Larry was super responsive and immediately sent a new Shimano freewheel (probably a lot better one than was originally on there) and that took care of the issue.

davida273
8/3/16

Ordered a Diamondback Overdrive, it came earlier than quoted. Gears were perfectly adjusted out of the box, and assembly was simple.

chucky5
4/29/16

Overall, a really good deal. Customer service was initially slow but responsive. The wheels came in missing parts. The box arrived open by UPS. Initially had trouble fitting the wheels because of missing parts. Once in touch with service adviser Larry the problem solving began. Larry stayed a bit late with me on a Friday. Found out I was missing spacers. These were sent the following Monday and arrived on Thursday. I needed to file the spacers down a bit but got them to fit. Wheels are well built and true.

Basically, need to be patient if there is a problem. The hours are limitted, but I felt Larry was helpful.

Tip for consumers: Be patient.

scottc92
3/29/16

I am not a professional mountain bike rider, but I like good equipment that works. I did a lot of research and was trying to stay around the $1000 mark. I decided on this bike based on the following, Alum. frame with tapered head tube, Shimano SLX/XT compoenents, 120mm travel air fork, Guide R disc brakes, and the price. I got the box in the mail and it was packaged and pre-assembled very well. Once I was complete in a few hours (taking my time) the bike exceeded my expectations. It needed little adjustment to the brakes for rubbing, but that was it. I have put 50 miles on it and am very happy with my purchase. The frame is actually a lot nicer than I would have thought. This is actually a pretty good deal for 80% of riders.

charlieb65
3/12/16

Bikes Direct is not a bad outfit to deal with.
Be aware of their stretched claims of comparative value. Don't fall for the "compare with bikes costing $3,500!". Compare all you want. You're not getting a $3500 bike for $600 or $700. That's not a totally bad thing either - just go in with your eyes open to the features and parts they offer on the bikes at their price point, and compare to other bikes at similar price points, and forget the hype. Honestly, this ought to be shopping 101....

Bike (Boris X7) arrived ok, no damage by UPS and only a little scratch on one rim. No big deal. Assembly took about 10 minutes with a helper. That got it able to be ridden and out the door of my employer's back room... and home.

Once home, the tweaking setup was needed on the brakes and derailleurs and seat, and bars and such. Expect that, and take note: You're doing the work a bike shop would do when they get a bike in a crate and have to assemble it in their shop. If you cannot do this, don't trash Bikes Direct or the bike, because every bike out there needs adjustment in one way or another.

Quality bike, decent, but not great, components. One problem early on was the bottom bracket was not assembled correctly as it was received. Had extra and weird spacers inside that upset the spacing of things, which was not immediately noticed.

Here's where Bikes Direct gets poor marks - on the up side, they were responsive. On the down side, they told me to go buy the parts (about $85 worth) and they'd issue a credit. I bought exactly what they told me to buy. I got my credit. The parts they said to buy were not the right parts.... they ought to have known this. In my case, they suggested Surly bottom bracket (which is for the Shimano style crank). The bike has a SRAM style crank, so the Surly part wont work. Their bad, and they lose a star off their rating.

And, I tried three local bike shops that all snubbed any sort of fat tire bike... and basically refused to help, with Bike America being the worst of the bunch. They wanted $150 to look over, change the bad part (5 minute job), and adjust - plus parts! Hence my reliance on my own sleuthing. Hey I got an education in bike assembly, tweaks and repair! FWIW, once I had the right bottom bracket (about $40), learning to change it, and doing the actual work did take all of five minutes, plus another five to get the sticky grease off my hands!

I would have given Bikes Direct a five star, but they get four for sending me on a goose chase. I got the right parts at my own expense and frankly, I did an upgrade when getting the right part, so I don't feel too terribly bad about it all.

And, yes, I'd buy from Bikes Direct again. I'd steer a friend toward them. I'd steer family to them. They're an ok oufit, just... you're gonna have to either DIY, or lean on local help (that you pay for). Bikes from Bikes Direct are sort of like a sweat equity house....

Me - I'm a better than most mechanic, just unschooled about bicycles. I work on all my own vehicles, have rebuilt Harley engines with no problems. I'm also a cheap so-and-so, and love to save a buck, but not at the expense of quality.

Response from mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Thanks for the detailed review. We are glad you are happy with your fat bike. Bikesdirect has full carbon road bikes with Mavic wheels, full Shimano Ultegra for $1399. Customers have told us these are comparable and well reviewed by editors to other carbon Shimano Ultegra road bikes for upwards of $3,000. We are happy to offer such savings to thrifty and smart cyclists as you and many bike riders are :)
rachelb77
3/9/16

I received my new road bike from bikes direct in good condition aside from
One issue, details to follow. I was slightly overwhelmed by the unpacking and assembly but was determined to do it myself. I watched the videos that were sent to me and I was able to get everything tightened down. The only thing I was stumped on was the tires and how to inflate them. I figured it out quickly after a bit of research but wish I had known beforehand so I could have had the right pump ready. All is well now and I plan to help my boyfriend choose one soon so we can ride together. I do recommend this company.

Response from mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Hi - any issues please email bd4servicecenter@aol.com and they will take care of you asap.

Thanks for your review and we are happy to save smart cyclists like yourself up to 60% Off new bicycles and even give free shipping to 48 states. Bikes come with either Schraeder valves like on a car or Presta which most pumps come with easy to use adapters.
Assembly is easy and fun- an eleven year old customer sent in a video where they assembled their own bike. These bikes are packed well for protection, in some cases; it takes longer to unpack all the wrapping than the actual assembly time.
Happy Riding,
Joe Bikesdirect Rep
cliffs21
1/27/16

After reading a few negative comments on some bike forums I was a bit weary of buying a bike online but I didn't have the money that my bike shop was charging for a similar bike. I emailed the sales department and asked my questions before I ordered just so I had all my bases covered. When the bike arrived it did have a few broken pieces of packing material but I guess I got lucky because the bike did not have any scratches at all. My friend helped me put it together and I have already ridden it on some trails. Thumbs up two bikes direct for answering my questions and for the great deal.

jeremyc36
8/23/15

I bought a Gravity bike from them a couple of months ago. The first front tire I got seemed to have some wobble in it, then I realized that the tire had actually split along the center in certain spots. So wide, in fact, that you could see the tube. I sent them a message and asked that they replace the tire. They sent me another tire which ended up having the exact same problem. Now, initially I thought it could be from over inflation, but the back tire I have has held up fine.

UPDATE: The people at Bikesdirect did everything the could to resolve the issue. Their customer service has been well handled so I upped my rating to 4 stars. I am still undecided if I would still pass over a local shop to buy from them again, but that's more of a personal interaction preference.

Response from mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Jeremy- we are sorry you had trouble with your tire. It is incredibly rare to have any tire issues as you describe. These tires are made by one of two or three companies in the world who also supply tires to Scott, Trek, Giant - any major brand you can think of. Please contact our service department at bd4servicecenter@aol.com and they will get you taken care of. Please send me a private message with your order ID and I can make sure this gets taken care of for you if this tire is as you say.
Happy Riding,
Joe Bikesdirect.com
brianl59
8/19/15

I ordered the MER Galaxy SC3. The bike came on time, everything was neatly packaged. However my rear wheel was bent, So I asked customer service for help. Larry replied back to immediately and helped me by sending a replacement wheel, no question asked. Excellent customer service. I would've given 5 stars if it wasn't for the faulty wheel. Nonetheless, great experience.
-Brian L.

williamd59
5/23/15

I purchased the Fantom Pro TI 29er. It took 4 working days to arrive, which I thought was very reasonable. The only reason I didn't give 5stars is in my opinion there was more than 90% assembly. Besides seat, disk and wheels the front caliper and rear deraileur also required assembly. The rr deraileur high and low stops were adjusted. It took some time to get the proper cable setting and B tension setting, but there are good videos on YouTube. It took about 45 minutes to assemble and 1.5hrs to tune everything to my liking. The shock needs to be set to your weight and the Rock Shock pamlet that was provided does not give any PSI recommendations. Rock Shock's website has recommendations. Took it out on the trail and the bike is very fast. It carries speed much better than my 26 Stump Jumper FSR. I am glad I purchased from Bikes Direct. I saved money and learned how to tune the gears. Now as the cables and chain start to stretch, I am confident I will be able to adjust them on my own saving more money and time.

joa1238
2/3/15

Bought 3 bikes from them In less than a year! Had a minor problem with one but customer service resolved it really quickly. Lots of bikes to choose from and the popular ones gets sold out pretty fast. Had to pre order one but it arrived as expected. Thanks BD!

danielt47
12/15/14

Good service and grate bang for the buck!
Personal I got Boris X7 knowing that i will be upgrading some components right of the bat. Bike box arrived slightly damaged but bike itself was OK inside .
All in all positive experience from correspondence i head with Bikes Direct they seam to be genuine, helpful and upfront.
Attached image is of a bike 15 minutes after delivery

Tip for consumers: I am from Canada so my advice to fellow Canadians is to get the bike shipped to one of the UPS depo near the border and go get your bike.
I was lucky i have a friend in the stats that was willing to forward the bike to me via UPS but it would of been just slightly more expensive for me to drive and get it, and i would of head it a whole week earlier had i done that. I would not recommend using the my US address bike box is quiet large and shipping will be expensive my shipping was 110 US plus

jcr
11/6/14

BikesDirect is the real deal.

I got the 2011 Motobecane Super Strada road bike.

SRAM Apex groupset, fast shipping--signature required due to high amount.

ismaelv1
8/8/14

So far we have no complaints, just received our bikes, Motobecane Immortal pro all carbon bike, and a Kestrel evoke 3, also an all carbon bike.
only took four days to arrive and came 80 to 90% together, as stated on the website. I did the rest, but also took them to a local bike shop just for piece of mind.
The cool part after looking at both bikes and doing a professional setup for the both of us ( setting proper saddle placement and handlebar adjustment )
He looked smiled and said "WE DID GOOD" couldn't believe the
Price we paid and the top notch parts that were on them. Totally made us feel good!!
We have only ridden twice, and so far we're loving it, 14 miles on the first ride and 24 on the second ride. Looking forward to a lot more. Planning on a 50 mile ride very soon, so will get back and post again.
We've recommended the site to several of our friends, hoping they have the same experience as we did.
Only four stars because it's still way to early.

lanceb8
11/2/13

1. I purchased a Motobecane CXX from Bikes direct. Steel cyclocross frame and SRAM Apex components for $800. What a bargain. This bike is very nice, nicer than the two bikes I used for years and sold last month, a 1990 Bridgestone RB-1 and a 2007 Salsa El Mariachi. Granted both of those bikes are different than the CXX. I've been commuting on it every day for four weeks now, first week 28 miles/day then 13 miles/day. This is the perfect commute bike. It might be the perfect everything bike, unless you race *competitively* or weigh your bike more than you ride it.

2. The purchase was very smooth, I appreciate that they take the extra steps to verify identity.

3. Packaging was very good, everything was secure, nothing was going to get damaged in shipping unless some there was some real abuse by the carrier.

4. Very easy to assemble, but to be fair, I've put a half dozen bikes together from parts. I think it might be a bit daunting for someone not mechanically inclined.

5. I'd bet most of the bad reviews are from competitors selling the same thing with a name brand sticker on it for a lot more.

6. The website could use a redesign. It works well, but it looks old. That's why 4 stars, really the shopping experience and bike I purchased deserve 5 stars.

jaquarih
12/4/12

Did a lot of research when buying bike for wife. Fuji made a 44cm unlike many current manufacturers who seem to be eliminating different bike models from their lineups during tough economic times. I am no cyclist but read a lot of proper fitting, sizing, had her on my bike to see shoulder width, basic stuff from what I read on internet sites. I checked her inseam, measure arm reach, basically at 4'11 she needed 44cm frame or a bike with 650 tires. I didn't want a 650cm tire for her even though it would have worked, I just thought she could be comfortable on 700s. Plus most bikes with 650 for females are very expensive (over $900) my budget was $500 and bikesdirect totally came through. Perfect fit. She actually said that never in her adult life has she felt so comfortable on road bike. Local bike shop did build and they were impressed with bikesdirect product and price. Bike was packaged well, arrived quickly, customer service was easy to contact through email and phone. I would definetly buy again. Wish they sold kids bikes.

tonyg11
4/10/12

I checked all the above reviews before purchasing from Bikes Direct, so I thought it only fair that I share my experience. I just received the bike today and so far all is great.

I ordered the Motobecane Le Champion Ti with Ultegra. Very good price. Several hard core cycling friends confirmed it was a great deal. A few hours after ordering, I received a UPS shipping notification and confirmation email. The UPS notice provided a shipping estimate of 2 days, so I got pretty excited. However, I didn't read the Bikes Direct email closely enough and 2 days is when it would start shipping from the factory to me. My mistake, but just a heads up in case you do the same. That said, I ordered it on Wednesday and it arrived the following Tuesday. Well packed. All components exactly as spec'ed, so no issues there. No damage en route and easily assembled. Frame size is perfect. Assembly took about 20 mins.

Woud definitely order again and may buy a bike for my wife from Bikes Direct. A very good experience.

royt1
7/19/11

i purchased a 2011 Windsor knight bike in may of 2011.

when i ordered my bike i got a fast email response confirming my order.
i ordered my bike on a Thursday evening and the bike arrived at the UPS terminal the following Wednesday evening. i picked the bike up at the terminal so i could inspect for damage. the bike box was somewhat beat up and i got lucky my bike was not damaged. i wish they would choose a different shipper because ups has damaged a LOT of my stuff over the years.

the bike assembled easily. all i really had to do was bolt on the handle bars and wheels. all of the cables were adjusted properly. i had to air up the tires. i set them at the max sidewall recommended pressures.
i took the bike for a short drive around the parking lot at work. i ran over a small pot hole and got 2 instant flat tires. after checking them i found both inner tubes were blown out at the factory seam, cheap inner tubes. 2 NEW quality inner tubes on my dime and the problem was solved.

when i had the rear tire off i checked the cassette to see what gears it had. the bike was listed as having a 12-26 10 speed cassette and the bike had a 11-28. emailed bikes direct and they basicly told me they don't build bikes they just sell them so there was nothing they could do. after buying the correct cassette, on my dime again, and installing it i found my bike was delivered with a 105 cassette instead of what i thought should have been a ultegra.

after riding 700 miles on this bike it is a OK bike and worth the $900 i paid for it. especially for the Vuelta PRO wheel upgrade. but it being advertised as good as a TREK bike. there is NO WAY it's the same quality as one. the bike is at least 2lbs heaver than a trek 2300 they compaired it to. the finish quality is not even close to a trek. a trek has better welds and the paint is of better quality. the bike has ultegra components but i think they are seconds or cheap copies. they work OK but my friends ultegra shifters on his Trek work better. and YES i have taken my bike to a bike shop for a tune up but the shifters don't work as good as the ones on my friends bike.

all in all the bike is a OK value for the money. but in a few years i plan on purchasing a different road bike. will buy a it from bikes direct? maybe but it won't be a Windsor or another off brand name, it would probably be a motobecane.

bradf1
1/29/11

I looked long and hard for a road bicycle that I felt was a good value. Technically I could AFFORD the $1000 entry level bike that local bike shops had for sale, but if I'm spending $1000, I expect better than entry level! Used bikes were closer to the money I wanted to spend, but every single one I rode had significant defects that scared me away.

This led me to bikesdirect.com and competitor websites. I found bikesdirect to have more information, be generally better laid out that competitors, and have a better selection than competitors.

Once I ordered the bike, it was shipped promptly and delivered within 4 business days (well within thier estimated 3-7 day shipping). Quality of bike was as represented (off brand frame, all brand name driveline) and great care had clearly been taken to prevent damage. Damage still occured to front fork, going to try for resolution today.

If I had to do this whole search all over again, I would buy from bikesdirect again.

richardn1
1/25/11

Couldn't be happier so far. Bought a Motobecane Fly 9357 with 3x10 SRAM XO, as a race bike since the 3-year old Scott, even though rebuilt once is getting tired and heavy. We literally saved $2,000 over a similarly-equipped name-brand bike. LBS mechanics agree you could buy the bike, throw away the frame and still be ahead. Bike is very light, I am leery of the Vuelta wheelset, but will see if it holds up. Did have a failure, the 2011 XO front shifter failed internally. E-mailed Bikes Direct, Matt said I could send it to him or back to SRAM through a LBS. I chose to go through BD to keep the warranty thing alive, got brand new (of course) front and rear shifters in return so the colors would match, SRAM didn't have grey ones and sent me red instead. Couldn't be happier. This is the real deal if you can stand the glares from local bike shops. We will buy from them again.

I would recommend that you think about a hybrid bike first, as the tires are larger & the 26 inch wheels are a bit stronger. Also, you will be more comfortable riding on an upright position. If you like it, use it to loose weight while saving for a decent road bike.

By Jeffrey H.

No. the bike should come ready to ride.

By Dwight W.

Hi - the bike depends upon the type of riding you want to do and what you want out of riding. Do you want comfort? Durability? Speed? More upright riding position? Definitely want to look at bikes with larger tires as they would be more comfortable. The CycleCross type bikes are fast but have a bit larger tires for more durability and comfort than a skinny tire road bike. Check out the OmniStrada which have knobbier and larger tires than the regular cross bikes. They also have top tech tubeless compatible rims which you can easily convert with sealant and kit to being virtually flat free :) Check them out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

It depends on which bike you order. I also had to assemble and adjust the rr deraileur and break calipers. If you are not going to be home when it's delivered you can go to ups website and sign in advance. Ups will send you notifications before and when it arrives.

By william d.

I don't know of an municipality that requires you to register it.

By Alan F.

I think I paid about $55.00 or so. The bike turned out beautifully, it was a gift to my College student son and he loves it.

By Bobby D.

Shop costs vary...50 - $100 for assembly...... Yes, I have found my bike to be right on the numbers as far as weight....

By Chris P.

Here are some good assembly videos showing a mountain bike and a road bike. It's pretty easy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPLfsDliEk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlRjaJWyo4

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

"PERFORMANCE BIKES" ARE A GREAT CHOICE. FOR EXAMPLE, I BOUGHT A ROAD & GRAVEL 18 SPEED WITH A STURDY STEEL FRAME AND DISK BRAKES FROM THEM WHICH WAS $100 LESS (INCLUDING SHIPPING) THAN "BIKES DIRECT'S" ALUMINUM TUBING BIKES THAT WEIGH AS MUCH (OR MORE!). CHECK OUT THE BRITISH BRAND "CHARGE PLUG" (HA! AWFUL NAME) AT PERFORMANCE WHICH COMES WITH ALL THE TOP-OF-THE-LINE COMPONENTS PLUS STEEL FRAME AND WEIGHS JUST 24 POUNDS. ALSO I LIKE THIS BIKE BECAUSE WITH A SIMPLE $34 PART-CHANGE (ON THE REAR-WHEEL) IT'S GEARED FOR STEEP HILL-CLIMBS.

By INGRID P.

hi - if you are having trouble purchasing, please call us 9 to 5pm Eastern time, M-Fri 904-249-2453 to place an order :) Yes, we do take paypal and most major credit cards as well :)

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other customers.

BikesDirect?