Review of Best Buy

Best Buy
Best Buy 2018-07-12
1/5
Beware of Best Buy's "You Can Return It" Claim

After spending $789 on a Samsung Galaxy S9 phone, plus $45 on the case and $31 on the glass cover, plus the $11 per month for the damage and loss/theft protection plans, I also asked the sales person about stands for the back of it I case I would ever want to set it on a tray table on a flight and watch a video or whatever. He showed me some pop-sockets for $15 each. I said I wasnt sure if I would want to put it on the phone, but would buy one and think about it. He indicated I could return it within 14 days as long as I had the packaging and receipt.

Two days later, I decided the $15 pop-socket wasnt going to be something I would use, and brought it back to the same Best Buy. I was able to return it, but in the course of the transaction a second receipt generated saying Warning, future returns might be declined. I asked what that meant and the customer service person she did not know. There was info on that receipt about contacting "The Retail Equation" to get more information on our return activity.

In any returns we have made to large retailers - Target, Home Depot, Lowe's etc. - we have always made the return within the acceptable return period, always with a receipt, and have never been issued a "warning" or been denied a return. So I didn't think much more about it, thought it was possibly a fluke or that Best Buy was doing this to deter people from returning things too often or without a receipt.

Fast forward to a week or so later when my husband called to tell me that Best Buy refused to allow his return of a $120 wireless TV device. At the time of his purchase, he was also assured by the salesperson that he could return the item within 14 days, as long as he had the receipt. He had not removed the device from the package, had his receipt, and attempted the return within the 14-day period. He was told by the customer service person that there was nothing Best Buy could do about the denied return and that he would need to contact "The Retail Equation" - the vendor Best Buy had hired to monitor fraudulent returns, returns without receipts, etc. As we were following Best Buy's return policy to a "T", yet were denied the credit, we have disputed the charge with our credit card company and hope to have it resolved that way. We are also considering sharing our story with a major law firm who is collecting peoples' experience with The Retail Equation in consideration of a possible class action.

Thanks for nothing, Best Buy. Apparently my $900.00-plus phone purchase, along with thousands of dollars of TVs, laptops, electronic accessories and gift cards we've purchased over the past 20 years, count for nothing. Bye-bye, Best Buy. We won't be shopping there again and look forward to patronizing retailers where the "You Can Return It" claim actually means something.

franciscos55
7/10/18

I got hooked on the Deal of the Day. I check them everyday. Sometimes, the bargains are just too good to pass up. The deals are only good for 24 hours and limited quantities, so you have to act fast.

johnm1913
7/8/18

I had a great distaste for Best Buy due to many negative experiences. Recently I begrudgingly went back to Best Buy to look at 4k TV's. I found the experience to be very enlightening. The sales staff was very helpful and knowledgeable. I am not kidding this truly was a great experience. So much so that Best Buy has become the store I Once believed it should have been.

Since then, I have gone back multiple times for other products. There rewards program is "ok". Although they do step you up a level once you start to buy more product. They send you $40.00 off certificates etc. They have a fairly extensive relationship with Magnolia as well. The Magnolia sales person actually delivered my TV personally. I am giving them 5 stars now based on multiple experiences. By the way do take advantage of their price matching program. There are significant discounts to be had there.

jacep3
7/8/18

I always feel at home at Best Buy. All the gadgets and technology I need for my vehicle and fitness goals are here.

barryb29
6/20/18

Bought a TV a week ago. It was supposed to be delivered today between 9-12. Got a robo call at 10:30 saying it would be here between 12-4. It never arrived. I called the store in Prescott, AZ. Nobody answers the phone there and never have. Checked online. No info.about the order or its whereabouts. Finally got on a chat with a rep from the company as there's no customer service at the store. On chat, I decided they had wasted my day and to cancel the item. I wasn't about to wait again. The representative apologized for the delay and admitted the TV wasn't in stock and had been back ordered.Nobody bothered to inform me of this and I waited all day for this delivery that would never arrive. This is just another example of a company not caring about it's customers. They deserve to have their doors closed. One star is too many.

markd274
6/18/18

The extended Warranty and Service is suspect at best. I went to the tech counter and was told the pen for my Surface Pro needed new tips when all it needed was a battery. Now I have a set of tips I don't need, and $20.00 plus dollars that could have been spent on groceries, and wasn't.

kennethg118
6/17/18

lies about having items in stock and doesn't tell you its backordered until you call looking for an update

stevenl223
6/16/18

i purchased 3 large alarm systems and cameras from best buy and also paid for their installation, they stay at my home until midnight just working on the first installation and could not get the system to work, so we cancelled everything and removal and they didnt even attempt to install the other 2 systems, its been 6 weeks and they have not returned my $6000 and they keep saying oh yes its been refunded and it never has, i have rung their head office management team and they said they would look into it and get back to me and they never have even though i have rung back their several times and left messages, i have been to the branch many many times, and the person whom sold me the system no longer works there and texted me saying that the company has issues and are no longer allowed to sell those security systems as the manufacturer has pulled out of dealing with best buy, my house has holes in it and has been damaged from this installation and what makes it worse is that we had a perfectly good working system in the house before we just wanted to upgrade and now we have no protection at all and we are out $6000 dollars as well. Spoke to this so called manager stephanie isensee whom never returns calls from head office

miaral
6/12/18

Bought my husband a sound system so that we could dual purpose for the actual wedding day for the reception - it was perfect. Speakers were great, music was awesome, and everyone had a blast.

josephr55
6/2/18

Bought that Asus computer which was supposed to be delivered to my house, which I regret picking it to be sent to my house. When I went to go get it from the UPS it had no packing peanuts or anything to protect my computer inside it along with the wrong sized box. Which the box in the corner had a huge hole meaning the person who packaged this didn't do their $#*!ing job correctly, and amazed they even have a job if they even do after this. I took it back to the Bestbuy not opening it to show them the damage to my package. They did let me get a new one and along with a $100 dollar gift card. However that not was only the first incident I had.

So I use this computer enjoying it a bit. Not even about 2 or 3 months later the wifi connection doesn't work nor the Ethernet connection. I had to reset my computer to factory settings due to this. Worked for about a few months again until it happened again had to do the same thing again wasting more time and having to reinstall all my software. It then had a major power and fan issue later on along with my entire internet connection so slow windows and pages would not open up. To a point where I couldn't use my computer to connect online or even look anything up. So I took it to Bestbuy to get it fixed having a free one year warranty on it.

When I brought it up they said they would send it to the manufacturer which was a lie. They don't tell you they sent it up to Geek Squad where they dropped my computer up there having to put it back together. Instead of replacing my unit with a brand new one. Also they gave me a half-ass ward apology along with excuses of why my computer. They provided the worst service, scammed me, and lied to my face. Oh and ironically when I looked around the Bestbuy Asus computers they sold. They also had the same wifi connection issue.

I will never go inside nor ever buy from this store ever again or even the website itself. Your better off buying the computer directly from the actual manufacturer. These $#*!s deserve to go out of business for this. Anything you buy almost up there is guaranteed to have a problem in about a month or less. Their policies are a complete scam.

cameronp32
6/2/18

Worst customer experience ever. Hung up on. Left on hold. After 1.5 hrs on the phone Ive decided Best Buy is actually worst buy. Go to amazon.

sabrinab62
6/1/18

Very helpful service and willing service, especially when I have tried all I can by myself and I like their in store brand prices.

jaym286
5/30/18

I bought an stroller and car seat on a rewards website though best buy with points from my Visa. When the stroller came in the mail, it was defective and had flimsy construction. I took the stroller to the store and they refunded me completely even without the original packaging. I went a few days later to return the car seat too (also without original packaging) and received a refund. I ordered another stroller and car seat from the website and I am very pleased with it!

janelleo1
5/22/18

Thank you BB for the fast delivery. Got my HP 15-BS115DX yesterday. I ordered last week through their site and everything went very well. I didn't expect how fast the delivery will be. I am also glad that the package is well sealed and that the set is complete. Once again Thank you so much!

marias399
5/22/18

Bought an iPad for my grandson, after asking questions about the Item and features I purchase it. Turns out to be that I was misinformed about the product and features. Went back returned it with my purchase receipt and exchanged it for an up grade. I went again 3 month later and bought a Go pro. I bought extra battery and the memory. Again I ask to buy all the necessary accessories for the Go Pro. Bought extra battery, and memory. When I got home the Go Pro was damaged, and I need another memory card for it to work.
Immediately I went back 30 min. Later to have it exchanged and buy the additional memory card. It was return and was purchased again but as a new sale. The Go Pro was not to my expectations I was not satisfied. I paid 800.00 plus two memory card and a extra battery. Since I was not satisfied, I went back for a return. They said, that I had to many return even thought I had my receipt. I they would allowed me to return only one purchase. I had two purchase because the extra battery and memory card was purchased when I first bought the pro cam that I returned because it was defective. The second receipt was for the pro cam exchange and the extra memory card. Lucky I was able to return the 800.00 pro cam with one of the memory card. But they refuse to return the extra battery 50.00 I purchase that was never open and seal including the memory card 45.00. They said I have to many returns. That I had to wait a year to do any exchanges. Are they serious. Now got stuck with a memory card and a battery I have no use for. Almost a total of 100.00 dollars to throw away in a garbage. No use for any other equipment.
I have my receipt. I will not ever buy from them again. I hope they close out. This is not customer service what so ever.
I just bought electronics via the Internet, they have the same warranty, they are cheaper. Free delivery to your front door. DO NOT BUY FROM BEST BUY THEY ARE THEIFT. I AM DONE WITH THEM AFTER OVER 10 year of loyal customer.

Return decline. 175677376-900-BBY

Tip for consumers: Shop on line, after dealing with Best Buy with their retun policy misleading scam. I stop buying from them. I started shopping on line. Free shipping, no tax, return policy no hassle . Better price. Next day delivery .

joanr70
5/16/18

I bought a Belkin wireless router on Best Buy.com. After about 3 weeks it stopped working. I called Belkin and asked if I should deal with them or Best Buy and they tried to fix it but couldn't and sent me an new one which worked for 10 days and broke. They wanted to send me another but I said I wanted my money back so they then referred me to Best Buy. I brought the broken router to Best Buy who told me I had 15 days to return the broken router. Well it worked for 17 days! So they did nothing for me and I lost my money and they lost a customer, Fifteen days is unrealistic and a bogus policy.

susane94
5/14/18

Best buy was somewhat helpful seem to be really busy to really get all questions answered. Bought new computer.

rosies25
5/13/18

About twenty years ago, my mother had such a terrible customer service experience with a return at Best Buy that it stuck with me and I vowed never to shop there. (And I was a child at the time, so that's almost impressive!) A few years ago, I was shopping for a new laptop and I wanted to make sure the purchase was affordable because I was going through financial difficulties at the time. The problem was that I refused to support Windows 8, and the only online store that had affordable computers with Windows 7 at the time was Best Buy. I combined sales and cash back deals and bought the computer from their website. I had such a great experience (fast and secure shipping, good sales, etc.) that when I was shopping for a gaming laptop just a year or so ago, I considered bestbuy.com again.

For my second purchase, not only did Best Buy have the computer I wanted for the best price, they also had a free shipping deal included with a great sale. I combined this with my credit card's cash back program (Chase sometimes has extra cash back deals for Best Buy's website) and saved about $600 off of a gaming computer that should have cost me close to $2000. Again, it was shipped quickly and safely. No problems with anything. The website was also helpful because of its comparison guide, where you can put multiple computers in a row and compare all the specs.

I have had such great experiences with this website that it shocks me. Even to this day, I can't stand going in Best Buy's stores (I only will go if I'm with someone who needs to, I still refuse to go there for products myself). The sales reps are pushy, their return policy sucks, and their stock of everyday tech items is wonky (my friend went there for a simple audio cable and they didn't have it). But their website? It's been so helpful and wonderful for me that the next time I'm in the market for a computer, I will go to Best Buy first.

Tip for consumers: If you hate going into their stores (and you have good reason to), don't be afraid to try their website. It's a whole different experience.

ignacios22
5/13/18

Came in here for a very simple thing: Laptop shopping. Not in the store for 5 minutes when a greasy haired snake oil peddler crept out from behind a counter like he smelled chum in the water. I'm sure you can see his serial-killer grin from here, but I digress. The young man by the name of Anthony(off my baby name list for life) had listened to exactly 1 need of mine: Word processing, before proceeding to push a $3,000 pro-gaming laptop towards me. I told him that's nothing to my liking, the cover looked like it had taken acid and was bleeding the rainbow. I told him flat out, I am taking this to work I won't be taken serious with this crap, do you have a regular black laptop with decent ram and a large hard-drive. I don't need any graphics higher than streaming 720p YT vids. Got anything fitting those needs without a ton of extra features I won't use? Apparently a $3,000 macbook. Told him I don't mess around with crapple products, most of the programs I will use are Windows necessitated. Oh here's yet another gaming laptop for.....you guessed it, $3,000. He must be $2,999.99 off that sales goal and REALLY wants to hit it in 1. Told him he clearly didn't understand my needs so I would try somewhere else, at which time he practically blew a blood vessel glaring me down and uttering a few choice phrases about wasting his F@#% time and how broke and useless of a customer I was, that were already reported. Manager seemed to take my complaint serious, but you never know how that goes. I went to Wally-world and spent $500 on a laptop, another $300 on Microsoft products and a printer/scanner, and ended up buying a $1500 tv. Hope Anthony reads and weeps in the unemployment line. Would absolutely recommend to keep a 2-mile gap between Best Buy and literally anyone who wants anything.

Tip for consumers: Just don't

tyned1
5/1/18

The store is known for excellent top of the line electronics at a fair price, not to mention the Price Guarantee. I think that there is never a time when I cannot find a great deal, even if I have to shop around to get it.

michaelr660
5/1/18

At times I feel as though the staff is knowledgeable and at other times, it seems that they may be working in the wrong department for their level of knowledge. While I seem to have a basic grasp of what I need, it is always useful to find an employee who has the knowledge and drive to make sure that I am making the right choice for my personal situation. This does not always seem to be the case and I can at time leave more confused than when I walked in, and without buying something might I add.

The online platform is great...I can find what I am looking for with relative ease when I know exactly what I want. Where it can be tricky is when I am not exactly sure what direction I want to go in, the chat is generally not very helpful with my indecision and the product comparisons really do not provide a true comparison (this item has x, that item has y, both items have x and y but which works better). I guess that is left up to us to determine.

All in all, the experience is good and I will continue to shop at Best Buy online and in the store, i just have to do it with the expectation that not everyone is going to be helpful and that I am going to be to teach myself to be somewhat of an expert just to understand some of the more recently complex products out there now. At least with all of my self teaching, I can use my new found skills of comparison and evaluation to find the best deal, Best Buy or not. If they did not make me have to work so hard for it, I might just live at Best Buy.

raymondf24
4/30/18

BOUGHT 3 TIMES FROM THEM GOT QUOTE PRICE I PAID DON'T TELL ME MADE MISTAKE ON QUOTE IF THEY DID STILL PAY WHAT I WAS TOLD TO IN BEGINNING QUICK SERVICE

robertb932
4/30/18

Purchased unlocked moto at a decent price. Wish i had bought one a long time ago. When you buy a "locked" phone through a carrier, you can end up losing bigly.

eltonb24
4/27/18

Whenever planning to buy electronic products online, my preference is BestBuy. I have done it many times and never got cheated. Great service.

harryh43
4/25/18

It's pretty easy to get around the website and find out details/specs behind the product. However, more often than not I can find some better pricing at Amazon. Product quality is fine though; I've gotten my last laptop there and it's lasted a very long time.

206 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I am sure there is a catch-like a 2 year contract. No one gives you a phone for $1

By Leon M.

I would write a letter to your state's attorney general. There are laws regarding taking advantage of senior citizens. I would specifically ask for documentation from Best Buy in which your grandmother gave them permission to recycle her 18 month old computer. If they cannot produce that document they may be in very big trouble with the state's attorney general. I would also write the BBB and contact your public officials. This I think would be paramount to theft if your grandmother did not give them permission to recycle her computer. On the flip side of things, ASUS is a very good machine. My son is a computer scientist and swears by ASUS. I have three ASUS machines one of which is over 5 years old and it is a workhorse. Unless something significant happens in the ASUS business world, I will continue to buy ASUS!

By Anna K.

All I can say is that you obviously have been very lucky. I was a dedicated customer for 25 years, however, I would do without before I ever spent another dime in a Best Buy!!!!

By Anna K.

Questions? Get answers from the Best Buy staff and other customers.

5 Photos for Best Buy