Review of Zipcar

1/19/19

You wrote a review for Zipcar 8 minutes ago
1.0 star rating
1/19/2019
I would give them zero stars if I could. I had the most appalling experience just now that is actually unbelievable. The car I used was a Volkswagen Jetta that was filthy, had rips in the upholstery and dog hair all over. I could have lived with the filth but the car died twice and I was unable to get it to start no matter what I did. I was finally able to find someone to jump start my car- something I had to do on my own as the fabulous reps at zipcar had zero interest in my problem. I had to call 5 times and still got nowhere. I was told there was nothing wrong with the car and that it was my fault the car wouldn't' start. Ok.. I got belligerent, rude, sassy and downright nasty reps on the phone each time I called. On the fifth time, I asked for member services so I could cancel my account and I was put on hold for 5 minutes and when the same rude person got on the phone i was told no one could help me in member services. I have just canceled my account and strongly advise anyone thinking of zipcar to stay away unless you want to have a broken down car and then get zero help, complete rudeness and no way of fixing your situation.

keithb284
1/4/19

Prompt reliable service, easy to use and no fraudulent charges or nonexistent customer service as with Uber

jayb155
8/13/17

We went to Hawaii for our Anniversary starting 08-04-17. We decided to try out Zipcar, it sounded perfect for our vacation. Rent a car when you need, by the hour not by the day. This was perfect for our detail itinerary we had worked on for 8 months before our trip. I went to the website, payed the registration fee, and annual fee. It was that simple, I was now a proud Zipcar member with all of the benefits! I reserved a car for 08-09-17. My wife and I, along with another couple arrived a day early to the pick up spot, just to make sure we had no problems the next day when we would be exploring the island of Oahu! When we arrive onsite, to our horror the car that was reserved, had been in a wreck, and very dirty! The front passenger bumper was damage and part of it was in the back seat! It was a horrible site! I immediately called Zipcar, after I explain the issue to Zipcar's helpless support team, he said, "sir you can take the car as is or I can refund your rental fee." I said, "take the car as is, I am not sure if it is safe to drive!" "Well, I am sorry, but these are the only two options we have," he replied. I asked to speak to a Manager. When a manager finally picked up the transferred call, I explain the situation to her. "We are on our anniversary and all our plans that where made can not be change, because of reservations and other details. I am standing here looking at the car I am suppose to pickup tomorrow and it has been wrecked, is there anything you can do", I said? She replied, "I am sorry sir, but we do not have anymore cars available, but you are welcome to take the car as is or I can return your rental fee." I thought I was reliving ground hog day! I said, "I am not sure if this car is safe to drive, half of the bumper is in the back seat and the other half is hanging off the car!" "Will you please cancel my membership and refund my money." She said, yes sir I can do that, and I am sorry."
I had one more question for her, "Will you please answer this question before you go?" She said, "yes." "The person I spoke too before you seems to be so calm as if this is normal thing that happens often and so do you. Is it normal?" She said, we do not inspect the cars when they are return, our maintenance personnel do not come around until every 2 weeks and sometime it could be longer." "So you are saying you do not know what condition a vehicle may be in, unless the driver reports it," I asked? She replied, "yes."

tn1
1,587 helpful votes
7/12/09

I used Zipcar about 5 years ago while living in Cambridge. After approval and gaining easy "membership", you can reserve a car close to where you are for a certain number of hours or for the day. You just reserve online or by phone and go to the assigned location of the car. Usually that's not too far from where you are. Then you wave your magnetic card in front of the windshield, the locks open and the keys are inside. Super easy and convenient. It's a bit pricey (though insurance and a gas card are included) but when you need to transport a bunch of things, it can be worth it.

Questions? Get answers from the Zipcar staff and other customers.

Zipcar?